Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I've read the official praises of Quicktime Pro on the Apple website and did a search to see if there is any reference to the difference, but there isn't much I can find that really breaks it down, so the basic question is, why should I/need I upgrade to Quicktime Pro? (besides getting rid of that annoying box that suggests upgrading to it whenever you use QT)

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Full Screen Mode...

Change the contrast/brightness -- the Video settings

Play All movies (all windows that are opened.

And many more features I have not said anything about.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Well, you can import and export in a lot of codecs (I'm not sure if the rgul;ar version allows you to do that).

You have full screen mode and that is very good when using a Powerbook with dual monitors.

You can edit, copy/paste/crop clips without having a special software. It is not the ultimate but you can do it on the fly and trust me I use it a lot.

It is nothing to die for but it is good having it. I'm a VJ so I use it a lot.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Cool, my other question--If I buy QT Pro 6.3, will I be able to transfer my ownership over to say, QT 7 when it does come out? Or QT 6.5? I remember buying the premium version of Realplayer once and after it was upgraded, they basically said "too bad, if you want the new version you need to buy it again"

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
That's exactly how it is. QT 7 will need a new key. But think about how much work Apple puts into QuickTime. I think that it is quite impressive. And at $30 an upgrade, it really is a great price. I use QuickTime Pro all the time for file conversions. I don't really use it for cropping and stuff like that. I usually use Final Cut Pro for that.

P-Worm

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
the thing i use it for most is file conversion. there's a lot more features that will become useful. i got it for free from the apple store.

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Unless you have 30 dollars to blow, I don't think its worth it for a average user, but to anyone who needs any of its featuers, its a good deal

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i am an average consumer, and i think it is worth it, but then i again, i didn't have to pay 30 bucks for it.

definatly worth it if you wnt the features.

Jerry Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2002
Historic St. Charles
I use it a lot to compress video for the web or email files. I know there's other stuff out there, but once you have an idea what you want, you can do it quickly and easily w/ qt pro.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
In that case...I'm your father's uncle's best friend's long lost friend of his college roommate...can I have it for free, too? :D

In the instance that you need to revert from mindless family reunions, I recommend Dr. Mambo Yaya.

QTPro is pretty easy to use. And you don't have to worry about using an advanced app or some minor software to play your iBrator commercial in full screen. :D :eek:

Just watch out for those damn MPEG-1 conversions... :eek:

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Hmm...I clicked on one of the stars and pondered deeply on whether we'll ever have new PowerBooks and what was the answer? "Your attempt to access this server has failed" Perhaps this is foreshadowing something? Time to consult the Magic 8 ball...

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
It used to come free with FCP. But you had to buy FCP. Doesn't it still come with it, or do you now have to buy it seperately?

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Would this cut/scale option also be available in FCE? I'm thinking about taking advantage of that deal where you can get it for $99 and if that program does what QTP does, then it would seem like the $30 would be better spent on something else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.