PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 really bad reception.

btcomm
Aug 28, 2007, 01:43 PM
If I am right near the router, works fine. As I move away it soons drops to 1 bar and the connection really is not there.

I have a dell laptop that connects with full signal strength in the same place as the ibook drops out.

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue besides trying to get it repaired or do ibook g4s just have really bad wireless range?

If I were to wipe out OS X and reinstall it would it help? I don't think it would because it seems like this would have to be a hardware issue, but I just thought I would check in case anyone else had similiar issues.

Reflow
Aug 28, 2007, 01:56 PM
If I am right near the router, works fine. As I move away it soons drops to 1 bar and the connection really is not there.

I have a dell laptop that connects with full signal strength in the same place as the ibook drops out.

Is there anything I can do to fix this issue besides trying to get it repaired or do ibook g4s just have really bad wireless range?

If I were to wipe out OS X and reinstall it would it help? I don't think it would because it seems like this would have to be a hardware issue, but I just thought I would check in case anyone else had similiar issues.

Change wireless channels might help

btcomm
Aug 28, 2007, 02:10 PM
Change wireless channels might help

Thanks for the reply, yeah I've tried that but it seems that even when I'm right next to the router I've seen it dip to 2 bars on the ibook I think the antenna is just really messed up on it.

Will apple fix that? Or are ibook g4s really bad about their antennas?

I can't imagine they are all this bad, you really can't even use the wireless the way that it is.

Reflow
Aug 28, 2007, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the reply, yeah I've tried that but it seems that even when I'm right next to the router I've seen it dip to 2 bars on the ibook I think the antenna is just really messed up on it.

Will apple fix that? Or are ibook g4s really bad about their antennas?

I can't imagine they are all this bad, you really can't even use the wireless the way that it is.

I had a few iBooks in my live time. Never had this one although. If you have AC on it I would take a trip to the apple store to see what they say.. Plus you can connect to their wi fi at the store to test with

DoFoT9
Aug 28, 2007, 04:25 PM
omg my dad has this exact same problem!!! after much deliberating or something i have come to the conclusion it is either a) the wire has moved from its original position, or b)the card is faulty.
option a seems more plausible, but i think my dad was going to buy another airport card and see if that did anything. its pretty annoying, he cant go more than 10metres away from the router without loosing signal!

skye12
Aug 28, 2007, 04:45 PM
Your antenna must not be connected. My ibook gets 4 bars from
over 100 feet away.

btcomm
Aug 28, 2007, 05:19 PM
That is what I thought, I figured this had to be a hardware issue. Just going to take the computer to apple.