PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases iPhoto 7.0.2 Update

MacRumors
Aug 28, 2007, 02:49 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has released iPhoto 7.0.2 (download (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/iphoto702.html))

What's New in this Version

This update to iPhoto addresses issues associated with publishing to .Mac Web Gallery, rebuilding thumbnails, and editing books. It also addresses a number of other minor issues.

iPhoto 7 (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/07/ilife-08-introduced/) was released on August 7, 2007 as part of iLife '08, and promptly updated to iPhoto 7.0.1 (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/08/post-keynote-software-updates/).

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/28/apple-releases-iphoto-7-0-2-update/)

P-Worm
Aug 28, 2007, 02:50 PM
I heard this had affected a lot of people. I hope this helps them out.

P-Worm

Squonk
Aug 28, 2007, 02:51 PM
A couple of updates under their belt. OK, I'm just about ready to upgrade from iLife 06.

PlaceofDis
Aug 28, 2007, 02:52 PM
part of me hates this, part of me is happy for this.

see its a shame that all the bugs aren't worked out prior to release. but the other part is glad that they're so fast at getting the things fixed.

Doctor Q
Aug 28, 2007, 03:00 PM
Having to release iPhoto 7.0.1 within a day of iPhoto 7.0 might have been awkward, but having another update 3 weeks later isn't much of a scandal.

X5-452
Aug 28, 2007, 03:01 PM
Does it annoy anyone else on a subconscious level that it's iLife 08 but all the software is version 7? I liked having all the software be the same version as the year...

queshy
Aug 28, 2007, 03:01 PM
after doing each of these past updates iPhoto is as stable as it was when I first installed it...but whatever, free updates!

txb
Aug 28, 2007, 03:17 PM
Having to release iPhoto 7.0.1 within a day of iPhoto 7.0 might have been awkward, but having another update 3 weeks later isn't much of a scandal.

The reality of software development, and the process of releasing the product means that at some point you have to put a stake in the ground and ship. But that never means it's fully complete. We might get the software on a particular date, but the vendor (Apple in this case) had to create a build quite some time in advance so that they could create CD/DVDs, package them and ship them. So you say "one day after they release it" .. but the fact is that the build we get is weeks old - it doesn't happen overnight.

Kudos to Apple for putting out fixes for problems so quickly. Problems that they have found in between cutting the media and us getting it. If they did not, then people would be complaining more ... not that they actually complain less!

bennyek
Aug 28, 2007, 03:18 PM
Anyone know if this resolved the issue of iphoto 7 not allowing the library to be stored on an external Drive? That has been a huge issue for many people. Big feature drop with them leaving that out this revision.

superted666
Aug 28, 2007, 03:31 PM
Use iphoto library manager to point the library at external disk.
i do and it works great!

decimortis
Aug 28, 2007, 03:31 PM
my fonts are still messed up but i think that's because i don't have the illusive helveticaneue.dfont

does anyone know where i can get this from...im hoping it fixes the only problem ive had with iphoto since i installed it. i've searched my system and it's nowhere to be found. (using 10.4.10)

iJawn108
Aug 28, 2007, 03:33 PM
Does it annoy anyone else on a subconscious level that it's iLife 08 but all the software is version 7? I liked having all the software be the same version as the year...

*looks at the calender*

yup its 2007 still. :cool:

Hairball
Aug 28, 2007, 03:35 PM

Not at all, as long as everything works. :D

Eraserhead
Aug 28, 2007, 03:37 PM
my fonts are still messed up but i think that's because i don't have the illusive helveticaneue.dfont

Its a standard system font, it should be in /Library/Fonts, try seeing if you can find it on your Mac OS X DVD.

j-a-x
Aug 28, 2007, 03:37 PM
I wonder if this fixes the sorting bugs, or if it fixes the bug that prevents me from viewing photos with certain aspect ratios on my 12" powerbook monitor. For some reason, many of my photos which are cropped with the Y dimension larger than the X dimension don't show up, although they do show up if I try to view them in an external editor - weird.

Doctor Q
Aug 28, 2007, 03:39 PM
The reality of software development, and the process of releasing the product means that at some point you have to put a stake in the ground and ship. But that never means it's fully complete. We might get the software on a particular date, but the vendor (Apple in this case) had to create a build quite some time in advance so that they could create CD/DVDs, package them and ship them. So you say "one day after they release it" .. but the fact is that the build we get is weeks old - it doesn't happen overnight.You may have missed my point. I know about release cycles (I'm a software developer), but I'm talking about the public impresssion created when a patch is released right after a new product comes out. It wouldn't have served customers well if Apple had held up the 7.0.1 release for another week or two, but it would have looked a little better to the casual observer. An update after a month may be welcomed as an improvement, while a quickly changed release is received more like an apology!

koobcamuk
Aug 28, 2007, 03:40 PM
The reality of software development, and the process of releasing the product means that at some point you have to put a stake in the ground and ship. But that never means it's fully complete.

You're right. I would say that Tiger is pretty much fully complete now :rolleyes:

iJawn108
Aug 28, 2007, 03:42 PM

does anyone know where i can get this from...im hoping it fixes the only problem ive had with iphoto since i installed it. i've searched my system and it's nowhere to be found. (using 10.4.10)

want me to send you it?

NewSc2
Aug 28, 2007, 03:49 PM
i hope this resolves some of my iPhone syncing issues.

txb
Aug 28, 2007, 03:55 PM
You may have missed my point. ... I'm talking about the public impresssion created when a patch is released right after a new product comes out.

Yes, agreed .. perception is everything.
I'm constantly amazed by what people think goes on. If only they could get a glimpse of what's really happening :) THEN let them complain!

lazyrighteye
Aug 28, 2007, 03:59 PM
I feel silly even asking...

Anyone know if this update addresses the importing/recognition of iPhones by iPhoto issue?

As has been well-documented by others, I too was able to import the first ~400 (or so) pix, but since then, iPhoto does not recognize my iPhone. Nor does Image Capture. Nor do any of the suggested workarounds.

Thanks.

ChrisA
Aug 28, 2007, 04:01 PM
Anyone know if this resolved the issue of iphoto 7 not allowing the library to be stored on an external Drive?

My iPhoto library is on an external drive and has been even with iPhoto 06.
What's the problem? It's easy. Simply copy over the "Pictures" folder then make a link to it.

SMM
Aug 28, 2007, 04:04 PM

That is waaaaaaaay too anal for me. :rolleyes:

emegmac
Aug 28, 2007, 04:05 PM
I just installed. Everything is running smooth.

koobcamuk
Aug 28, 2007, 04:06 PM
Updated and can't edit the names of any of my events now...

Going to rebuild library. I will be slower to jump on the wagon next time. Usually, I wait for other people to get the brunt. Me this time.

ghall
Aug 28, 2007, 04:07 PM
Downloading now. Also, theres a Pro Application Support (4.0.1) to go along with it. :)

twoodcc
Aug 28, 2007, 04:11 PM

yeah, i'm not too surprised. actually i'm surprised they didn't release an imovie update as well

tilman
Aug 28, 2007, 04:11 PM

You must use only iMovie and iPhoto... Garageband is version 4, and iWeb is version 2.

sananda
Aug 28, 2007, 04:12 PM
i have just installed the update.

previously sending a 2.6MB image to my web gallery would mean the file being reduced to 600KB. now it's going up as 1.1MB.

i also notice that skimming (without first opening then closing the relevant album) is now working with safari 2.0.4.

sososowhat
Aug 28, 2007, 04:12 PM
My iPhoto library is on an external drive and has been even with iPhoto 06.
What's the problem? It's easy. Simply copy over the "Pictures" folder then make a link to it.

It's even easier than that. Copy over the pictures folder, then hold "alt" while opening iPhoto. It'll ask where the library's located. I have mine on an external disk too; no problem in '08, no problem in '06.

skiwhitman
Aug 28, 2007, 04:21 PM

Going to rebuild library. I will be slower to jump on the wagon next time. Usually, I wait for other people to get the brunt. Me this time.

No, actually that has been a problem even before the 7.0.2. It happened to me about 2 weeks ago and I haven't been able to fix it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Anonymous Freak
I feel silly even asking...

Anyone know if this update addresses the importing/recognition of iPhones by iPhoto issue?

As has been well-documented by others, I too was able to import the first ~400 (or so) pix, but since then, iPhoto does not recognize my iPhone. Nor does Image Capture. Nor do any of the suggested workarounds.

Thanks.

If Image Capture doesn't see your iPhone, either, then it's a problem deeper down than just iPhoto. Have you tried restoring your iPhone? (Obviously, you should go through the onerous task of emailing yourself all the photos taken on it first...)

~Shard~

Yeah, but this way Jobs can get away with not releasing another update for another whole year and half until iLife '09. :p ;) :D

sananda
Aug 28, 2007, 04:23 PM
i have just installed the update.

previously sending a 2.6MB image to my web gallery would mean the file being reduced to 600KB. now it's going up as 1.1MB.

i also notice that skimming (without first opening then closing the relevant album) is now working with safari 2.0.4.

and uploading to the gallery from a browser (which was not previously working for me) is now fine.

FreeState
Aug 28, 2007, 04:24 PM

That has worked since last week. Im not sure what effected it - however I have a feeling thats all controlled on apples side and it was fixed last week from the .Mac end not the users end.

trevorlsciact
A couple of updates under their belt. OK, I'm just about ready to upgrade from iLife 06.

Haha, I almost asked you if you'd skipped iLife '07--I'd forgotten :apple: had! :p

sir42
Can the order of .mac web galleries now be changed once they are uploaded?

Please say yes!

Hopstretch
Anyone know if it amends the "feature" that automatically resizes any pictures sent to a Web Gallery?

Anonymous Freak
Aug 28, 2007, 04:26 PM
You must use only iMovie and iPhoto... Garageband is version 4, and iWeb is version 2.

Let's see...

iMovie: 7 (which is funny since it's an all-new app.)
iPhoto: 7 (And it's not actually the seventh release, either. They skipped 3.)
iTunes: 7 (Yeah, not technically part of iLife any more, but whatever.)
iDVD: 7. (Woah. It's actually just "iDVD 7", no point anything...)
GarageBand: 4 (At least it's 4.0.0)
iWeb: 2

So the newer additions have lower version numbers, but the others were all standardized at 7. Which makes sense, since they were probably all slated to be "iLife '07", but were delayed long enough that Apple decided to just make them '08. I wonder if 'classic' iMovie was actually being updated, and the delay was because they decided to can it and go with this new rendition, so it needed development time?

Hopstretch
Aug 28, 2007, 04:37 PM
Anyone know if it amends the "feature" that automatically resizes any pictures sent to a Web Gallery?
Crap. No such luck. :(

Snowy_River
Aug 28, 2007, 04:40 PM

If you need it, let me know. I have it uploaded and can send you a link to download it! :)

samh004
Aug 28, 2007, 04:48 PM
I've been having issues with my camera being recognised by my computer when plugged in. Also sometimes it duplicated the camera in the list and then doesn't get rid of it after I've unplugged it.

I'm hoping this update fixes that.

offwidafairies
Aug 28, 2007, 05:08 PM

yes. i feel your pain

milo
Aug 28, 2007, 05:26 PM
Also, theres a Pro Application Support (4.0.1) to go along with it. :)

That was released end of July. Doesn't really "go along with" the iPhoto update.

Rogier
Aug 28, 2007, 05:32 PM
I am still having the problem of iPhoto 08 (and an app called mds, which runs in parallel) chewing away about 90% of my CPU load. This makes the fans of my MacBook C2D go insane :mad: After a while, iPhoto just crashes.

Does anyone experiences this as well / know a solution to this problem?

lazyrighteye
Aug 28, 2007, 05:47 PM
If Image Capture doesn't see your iPhone, either, then it's a problem deeper down than just iPhoto. Have you tried restoring your iPhone? (Obviously, you should go through the onerous task of emailing yourself all the photos taken on it first...)

Yeah, that's what I am afraid of.
And no way I am Mailing myself 500 pix.

I'll just be patient and hope an iPhone Software Update somehow addresses this issue.

Thanks.

jmingin
Aug 28, 2007, 06:56 PM

Can't edit the names either. Have to go down to the right corner Info box to do so. Anybody else having this issue?

hanschien
Aug 28, 2007, 07:05 PM
This is for everyone that cannot edit the names of events.
http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=5169267#5169267

Basically, the fonts cache is corrupted and removing fonts.db found at /Library/Caches/com.apple.ATS/ fixes the problem (at least for me). You might want to go ahead and trash everything from the cache folder and reboot.

Can't edit the names either. Have to go down to the right corner Info box to do so. Anybody else having this issue?

No, actually that has been a problem even before the 7.0.2. It happened to me about 2 weeks ago and I haven't been able to fix it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

jmingin
Aug 28, 2007, 07:33 PM
thanks! works perfectly now after deleting all three of the fonts.db and restarting.

Mudo
Aug 28, 2007, 08:23 PM
Safari feels snappier... ?
:p

hookedonitunes
Aug 28, 2007, 10:24 PM

Why should it annoy you like this? There have been many, many applications in the past... it is just a marketing scheme - think back to the days of classic Netscape. It went from 4.8 to 6.0 in the marketing name in order to arouse interest. However, 6.0 was technically a 1.0 release of Netscape based on the gecko engine, even though the internal version was Netscape 5.0. Confusing... but Apple's not the only one

Perdix
Aug 29, 2007, 02:40 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I even embarrassed to be using software called '08 in '07. But that's nothing to how I'll feel when it gets to '09 and it's still iLife '08.