View Full Version : Apple Event: September 5th, 2007

Pages : [1] 2

stevehp
Aug 28, 2007, 05:57 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/28/its-on-apple-event-slated-for-september-5th/

ibrainch
Aug 28, 2007, 05:58 PM
Apple announces Sept. 5 Special Event

With a Cover Flow-themed widescreen graphic for its invitation, Apple has invited selected members of the media to a September 5, 2007 “Special Event” in San Francisco, California. The graphic, titled “The beat goes on...”, shows a silhouetted iTunes dancer holding a fifth-generation iPod in hand alongside six album covers…

Dandaman
Aug 28, 2007, 05:59 PM
can't wait to see the new ipods, especially if they are the ones that were rumored a few days ago.

daniel

psychofreak
Aug 28, 2007, 06:00 PM
Guess I'll be making a big purchase soon :)

Muzzway
Aug 28, 2007, 06:03 PM
Ok, I'm stretching it, but a possible indication of full screen, multitouch iPods?

rdowns
Aug 28, 2007, 06:04 PM
with cover flow. OMFGBBQ!1111111!

stevehp
Aug 28, 2007, 06:04 PM
This just made my iPhone purchase a little more confusing.

athanacius
Aug 28, 2007, 06:08 PM

Here we go again!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

kuebby
Aug 28, 2007, 06:09 PM
Excellent! The rumors are true (we hope)!

rdowns
Aug 28, 2007, 06:09 PM
This just made my iPhone purchase a little more confusing.

Why?

The iPhone is still the amazing device it was yesterday and the day before and tomorrow.

The iPod will still be the same thing it was yesterday, the day before and tomorrow albeit with a new interface maybe.

--------------

Posted from my iPhone motherf***** :D

Zubin
Aug 28, 2007, 06:12 PM
YES!!! I want a widescreen 80 gB video ipod with wifi and multitouch

stevehp
Aug 28, 2007, 06:12 PM
Why?

The iPhone is still the amazing device it was yesterday and the day before and tomorrow.

The iPod will still be the same thing it was yesterday, the day before and tomorrow albeit with a new interface maybe.

--------------

Posted from my iPhone motherf***** :D

Because if the new iPod is multi-touch with a larger HD, it may be more of what I would need right now.

Who am I kidding, I'd rather an iPhone any day of the week. :)

lord patton
Aug 28, 2007, 06:18 PM
please be an iPhone nano!

(chances of this happening on Sept. 5: 10%)
(chances of this happening within the next 8 months: 82%)

MacRumors
Aug 28, 2007, 06:21 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/08/28/appleinvite_300.jpg

Several sites (Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/28/its-on-apple-event-slated-for-september-5th/), Crave (http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9767929-1.html)) are reporting that Apple will be holding a media event on September 5th, 2007.

Apple has been rumored to be holding a media event to launch the new iPods. Rumors have pinpointed both revised Nanos as well as a full-screen touch iPod.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/28/apple-event-september-5th-2007/)

queshy
Aug 28, 2007, 06:23 PM
WOOHOO! new iPods!!

what im interested in is how this will affect the mac promotion. we just bought a macbook with a silver nano, can I return it to get credit for the new iPod?

amac4me
Bring on the OS X based iPods.

anirban
Well, it is about time.

Mac-Addict
Well now TV Shows are being added to other iTunes stores then that kinda confirms true video iPods and maybe video capable iPod nanos.

CJD2112
New Cinema Displays! C'mon Jobs, it's been since 1994.

AJ Muni
Aug 28, 2007, 06:24 PM
Perfect! I just returned an 80 GB iPod I bought from best buy 2 weeks ago, because of this. You gotta love no restocking fee!

iSee
Aug 28, 2007, 06:26 PM
That pic pretty much confirms the new iPod will function like the iPhone's iPod feature... I wonder if it will get any Wifi/Web/E-mail features...

paulyras
Aug 28, 2007, 06:27 PM
Does anyone else think that "The beat goes on" is a not so veiled reference to a one more thing... with the Beatles catalog going on itunes?

Eduardo1971
Aug 28, 2007, 06:27 PM
Its on! The new iPods will finally be released.

Umm, I have a strong feeling Beatles tracks may also be released.

That cover-shot reminds me of the "Love" Beatles album.

CJD2112
Aug 28, 2007, 06:28 PM

That cover-shot reminds me of the "Love" Beatles album.

I know one of them is the UK artist Mika. Great freshman release...

bigbossbmb
Aug 28, 2007, 06:28 PM
this news is fantastic!

wow, i'm having a pretty good day... i bought a Wii and now confirmation of the Sept 5th event! geez my bank account is going to suffer.

slabwax
Aug 28, 2007, 06:30 PM
Does anyone else think that "The beat goes on" is a not so veiled reference to a one more thing... with the Beatles catalog going on itunes?
No It means that Sonny and Cher are now on I tunes :D

Dean

Mistershark
Aug 28, 2007, 06:31 PM
I can't wait to see what Apple has had in store for us.

AppleiMac
Aug 28, 2007, 06:31 PM
Whoohoo, here they come! If Apple does indeed come out with an iPod Touch with Cover Flow and WiFi, I'm buying it. Not having my hopes all up though. I'm being realistic. ;)

Piarco
Aug 28, 2007, 06:33 PM
Perfect - just sold my 5G iPod in anticipation of the event actually happening, so this is great to see! Full screen iPod please, not particularly bothered if it has wifi or not!

maccompaq
Aug 28, 2007, 06:34 PM
Even though this is an iPod event, Steve will say, "One more thing" as he pulls the cover off the new Mac Mini Maxi.

blehpunk
Aug 28, 2007, 06:34 PM
fyi, there is a new madonna song with pharrell that just got leaked, called 'the beat goes on' i don't know if thats related, but she did do that one ichat with steve when they released her catalogue on itunes

escalinci
Aug 28, 2007, 06:36 PM
I know one of them is the UK artist Mika. Great freshman release...
Mika is unsufferably awful. [/off topic]

New iPods woo.

homeboy
Aug 28, 2007, 06:36 PM
The event is taking place in San Fransisco, home town for Apple and *****. Means serious business. An iPod revolution is around the corner. Ya'll don't understand how happy I am. I a gadget freak and during the latest 4 months I have been without a DAP in wait for new iPod and now it's all gonna pay off.

arn
Aug 28, 2007, 06:37 PM
based on the leaks and rumors, here's what its should be:

iPod Nano

OS X Based
New user interface: Cover Flow, Events, Video
Shorter
in 5 colors

iPod Touch

OS X Based
iPhone design with black border
Home button
Touch screen

arn

thespazz
Aug 28, 2007, 06:38 PM
YES YES YES YES...YES!

I have waited 3 months for the new iPod and it's finally here! YES!

Gherkin
Aug 28, 2007, 06:38 PM
OH crap.

I get paid this Thursday.

I have basically ZERO expenses right now as I am living at home for my last semester.

If Apple really impresses me, I may be picking up a new iPod next week.

Aranince
Aug 28, 2007, 06:39 PM
Any possibility of Leopard info?

Please Apple? PLEASE!!

David G.
YES!:) YES!:) YES!:) I've been waiting forever.

queshy
yeah, no matter what im probably gonna buy the new rev. unless it's just something minor like higher capacities, but if its having its own event I doubt it...its gonna be hugeee!!

now, what to do with my 5 G iPod...

gloss
Aug 28, 2007, 06:42 PM
Nice to see that Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots made it on there.

screensaver400
Aug 28, 2007, 06:43 PM
I would probably pay $599, happily, for a 30GB iPhone (sans phone). It's fine if it's a hard drive based device. I do need Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi is the deal maker or breaker for me.

psychofreak
Aug 28, 2007, 06:44 PM
Any possibility of Leopard info?

Please Apple? PLEASE!!

Like what? Release date or more?

Aranince
Aug 28, 2007, 06:45 PM
Like what? Release date or more?

Release date works...

daneoni
Aug 28, 2007, 06:46 PM
I hope the new 160GB HDDs goes into these new iPods and replaces the 80GB model whilst the 80GB model replaces the 30GB model, especially now with a TV shows being available in the UK store (not that i'll be buying shows) and the chances of a true widescreen ipod being high. Ripping DVDs onto a widescreen iPhone-esque iPod with that amount of storage would be the awesome

Just don't disappoint with the storage....160GB FTW. I haven't bought an ipod 2+yrs. Its time...

AaronOcean
Aug 28, 2007, 06:50 PM
I would be more excited if I didn't have an iPhone.

Let's hope there's something in this thing to make it "iPod" again.

goldenkidx
Aug 28, 2007, 06:51 PM
it probably has to do with some kind of partnership with Madonna because a song titled "The Beat Goes On" has leaked from her upcoming CD releasing this fall. Plus Madonna and Steve Jobs are Pals...

"Madonna had joked with Apple Inc.'s CEO Steve Jobs on a video conference in September, 2006, saying the title was "Revenge of the Broken Arm" while her arm was in a sling, considering her accident on her 47th Birthday just a few weeks before"

kwood
Aug 28, 2007, 06:52 PM
hmmm.... new iPod or tuition.... tough choice.

Ok not really... I can go to school next year:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

not so much....guess I keep saving and use my 1GB Nano.

DTphonehome
Aug 28, 2007, 06:53 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict new iPods. Hold on, hear me out....

The tagline says "the beat goes on"...iPods have been known to emit "beats" when certain styles of music are playing.

Also, the person depicted on the image seems to be listening to a music device and is dancing in ecstacy (or he is being electrocuted by the things in his ears). iPods have been known to cause people to move their limbs in a choreographed manner (AKA, "dancing"), especially people who are occasionally on TV in 30-second segments (they are poorly lit, so you can only see their outline, but I'm pretty sure it's people).

So putting 2 and 2 together, you can see that new iPods are due.

CJD2112
Aug 28, 2007, 06:56 PM
Mika is unsufferably awful. [/off topic]

New iPods woo.

No accounting for taste :cool:

ChrisA
Aug 28, 2007, 06:57 PM

I'll bet they anouce the Beatles catalog too. Notice the album art in the background. And the beat goes on. is a good clue too.

"Beatles" is a take from an British music term from the 50's or early 60's After all who could members of a "beat band" but "Beatles"? Back when they were getting together rock and roll as not popular, the hip thing was American Blues but the really cool guys where beatniks who played bongo drums and recited poetry (Paul learned to mock these guys as a teenager) but then came Elvis and Chuck Berry and the britsh bands all converted over th rock n roll. Ok to much trivia but "beat" in the title and the artwork in the backgrounf I'm saying

Beatles catalog - for sure.
iPod with coverflow (and maybe more Mac OS stuff)
New even smaller nano

szark
Aug 28, 2007, 06:58 PM

iPod Touch

OS X Based
Home button
Touch screen

As long as it has full iPod functionality (such as audio/video out through the dock connector) I'll be happy.

nemaslov
Aug 28, 2007, 06:58 PM
I don't care what it looks like, just please hold 120GB or 160GB of music!

NewSc2
Aug 28, 2007, 06:59 PM
Because if the new iPod is multi-touch with a larger HD, it may be more of what I would need right now.

Yeah, regardless of how great this iPod could be (I doubt it would have WiFi, but it might have touchscreen), the iPhone is still a Phone + iPod + PDA + email + internet in your pocket. Even if the iPod was all the above, minus the phone, you'd still carry a wifiPod and a cell phone in your pocket.

With the iPhone, everything's in one convenient unit, available with one sync, etc.

zenntench_oni
Aug 28, 2007, 07:00 PM
hmmm
(use cash or credit . .cash or credit. . . . .) lol

do they think that they would release it on the same day?

if not im just gonna use cash instead of my credit. .

zioxide
Aug 28, 2007, 07:01 PM
iPod Touch

OS X Based
Home button
Touch screen

arn

If that's true I'm buying a 5.5G refurb. Touch screen is crap.

w_parietti22
Aug 28, 2007, 07:01 PM
Guess I'll be making a big purchase soon :)

me too! :D

Don Bagles
Aug 28, 2007, 07:03 PM
Yeah, regardless of how great this iPod could be (I doubt it would have WiFi, but it might have touchscreen), the iPhone is still a Phone + iPod + PDA + email + internet in your pocket. Even if the iPod was all the above, minus the phone, you'd still carry a wifiPod and a cell phone in your pocket.

With the iPhone, everything's in one convenient unit, available with one sync, etc.

Apple is gonna surprise us with the iPod. You're right that right now the iPhone is EVERYTHING in one, so Apple is gonna have to turn the iPod more in the direction of a mini-computer, to make sure that people don't turn away from it and buy the iPhone simply because the iPhone has more features.

The new iPod WILL have Wi-Fi.

macfan881
Aug 28, 2007, 07:04 PM
If that's true I'm buying a 5.5G refurb. Touch screen is crap.

im guessing you have not used a iphone. anyhow yeah i woulndt be surprise for that to also think we would get a update to itunes 7.5 or itunes 8? also hoping more studios for the movie section

szark
Aug 28, 2007, 07:04 PM

As long as you're content to have 8GB of storage, and no audio/video output, that's true. But some of us want a bit more from our iPod.

juanster
Aug 28, 2007, 07:05 PM
haha awesome, and to think that last night i almost ordered an ipod online, I'm so glad i couldn't find my credit card...

kwood
Aug 28, 2007, 07:06 PM
Maybe the Apple TV will also see and update. Maybe with 1080P capability with iTunes store content to match. An Updated Airport Express with 802.11n would also be very nice.

zioxide
Aug 28, 2007, 07:07 PM
im guessing you have not used a iphone. anyhow yeah i woulndt be surprise for that to also think we would get a update to itunes 7.5 or itunes 8? also hoping more studios for the movie section

I'm guessing you're wrong.. but anyways. I don't want to have to take the damn thing out of my pocket and look at it to make simple changes like skip a track, adjust the volume, pause, etc.

Oh, and don't say they can put a little control on the headphones. I don't use the iPod headphones because they're complete trash.

blehpunk
Aug 28, 2007, 07:07 PM
do you think for maybe better appletv too? didnt mr. j say it was coming?

dieselmac
Aug 28, 2007, 07:08 PM
We shall see what the future holds for our dear souls. One cannot get his hopes up for fear or let down, however the thrill of looking up is indeed a mighty one. Lets see what Cupertino has for the rest of us...no I am not a professor, just trying to spice up the forums. Git-R-Done
:apple:

juanster
Aug 28, 2007, 07:08 PM
Apple is gonna surprise us with the iPod. You're right that right now the iPhone is EVERYTHING in one, so Apple is gonna have to turn the iPod more in the direction of a mini-computer, to make sure that people don't turn away from it and buy the iPhone simply because the iPhone has more features.

The new iPod WILL have Wi-Fi.

yes, in the states it is, but tahts it..

macjonny1
Aug 28, 2007, 07:09 PM
WOOHOO! new iPods!!

what im interested in is how this will affect the mac promotion. we just bought a macbook with a silver nano, can I return it to get credit for the new iPod?

No,

The promo is for the current ipods. That's why the promo is going on now and will end when the new ipods come.

rockthecasbah
Aug 28, 2007, 07:11 PM
Yes this is excellent news, i cannot wait to get my hands on a new iPod (hopefully touch screen based)... Today has been just horrible, at least it has gotten better now

meinertzhagen
Aug 28, 2007, 07:12 PM
Guess who is going to be first in line for his shiny new OSX based full screen coverflowable ipod?

me.

Guess who is going to be crying about their recent zune purchase?

everyone. sorry zune suckers.

"wow?....your zune really comes in brown?!"

hatcher146
Aug 28, 2007, 07:13 PM
this is so exciting!!! :D:D i've waited sooo long for this update!! i cant wait!!!!
this week is gonna go by slowww....

also...this has probably been asked 1,000 times but how long before they are shipped to bestbuy,circuit city, etc? thanks!

AHHHHH EXCITED!!!!

thesdx
Aug 28, 2007, 07:14 PM
Great news! I can't wait. Too bad I'll be in school when it happens. :(

psychofreak
Aug 28, 2007, 07:17 PM
I hope it will be 160GB and have the ability to use part of it for Time Machine (they must know most people have a much smaller library than 60GB yet want the video capabilities) :)

redfirebird08
Aug 28, 2007, 07:22 PM
Hopefully it at least has a larger screen and Cover Flow. Those are the two things that will get me to buy a new iPod. I have a 4G iPod Photo and the album art is pretty small on it, but the 5G and 5.5G don't provide much of an update in that category either so I refuse to update to a STILL small screen iPod. Hopefully this new one is what we've all been waiting for. One of my friends has a Zune and I'd say it's nicer than the current iPods.

zioxide
Aug 28, 2007, 07:22 PM
I hope it will be 160GB and have the ability to use part of it for Time Machine

ew.. transfering data like that would be bad for it.. probably cut the life of it in half.

kbrain2929
Aug 28, 2007, 07:23 PM
:eek: About time!! I knew it was coming... but I didn't know when! But I'm in a bit of a sticky situations... to buy an iPhone for my wife, or buy my self a new iPod... :rolleyes: ;) I'm hoping they will come at the same price. But if they ARE touch control... I see the possibilty for a price hike. I'm in business and I know that this new iPod will cost more to produce. PERIOD! Anyway... that's only my two cents. :p :apple:

Pants Dragon
Guess who is going to be crying about their recent zune purchase?

everyone. sorry zune suckers.

How about nobody? Because nobody's buying the Zune! :p

papadopolis1024
Beatles will be on itunes cause like every other week there has been another beatles artist individual music.... this time it will be them all together...

AppleMatt389
I'm guessing you're wrong.. but anyways. I don't want to have to take the damn thing out of my pocket and look at it to make simple changes like skip a track, adjust the volume, pause, etc.

Oh, and don't say they can put a little control on the headphones. I don't use the iPod headphones because they're complete trash.

you sound extremely angry and cranky. for no reason in particular. ur making cracks about products that havent even been announced yet. get angry for a reason..not something stupid like this.

nemaslov
Aug 28, 2007, 07:28 PM
Beatles will be on itunes cause like every other week there has been another beatles artist individual music.... this time it will be them all together...

Yeah but then George will need to upload first!

madmaxmedia
Aug 28, 2007, 07:29 PM

Then don't- use the Apple radio remote instead.

I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the volume buttons from the iPhone too, but don't know what else could be done with the physical interface.

Buschmaster
Aug 28, 2007, 07:30 PM
Exactly what first popped into my head, you'll also notice that a lot of McCartney and Lennon is already up, and guess who wrote (a good chunk of) the Beatles catalog?

I wonder if a 4th iPod will enter the market or more likely, the shuffle will die. The nano's will be those smaller versions and the new video iPod will be a beast of a device. I mean that not in the big sense, but in the good sense.

The new nano simply doesn't seem to fit into the current line-up.

3 new iPods and Beatles is my bet.

Also, AppleTV improvements somehow.

kbrain2929
I don't know what to think about this.. GO AND WATCH IT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1H_d_7CVPc

Look... This is the first time I've found this. So sorry if this is old or already been proven false.

theman
CRAP --- BAAAAD NEWS...

I need to sell my free iPod nano on ebay... at the earliest, the auction will end on september 6th!!! no!!!! now it will be worthless... unless some sucker buys it... but ebay is full of those...

kbrain2929
Aug 28, 2007, 07:32 PM
I don't know what to think about this.. GO AND WATCH IT!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1H_d_7CVPc

Look... This is the first time I've found this. So sorry if this is old or already been proven false. Just thought I would add that.

phebus
Aug 28, 2007, 07:36 PM

Of course I might be wrong, But Madonna just mistakenly released on the web her new song called THE BEAT GOES ON. I can't say that it is related, but it is a strange coincidence...

http://kevipodmusic.blogspot.com/2007/08/madonna-beat-goes-on-new-song.html

Steve Jobs=God
Aug 28, 2007, 07:37 PM
Being a Beatles fanatic, i hope the back catalog is released aswell as the iPods, but does nobody else think this would be the perfect time for Apple to announce european iPhone release dates, prices and network suppliers?

Brent.Curtis
Aug 28, 2007, 07:39 PM
OMG! you people have no idea how long i have waited for a decent iPod update. (What was with the 5.5 gen iPod???) Anyway as i live in Australia i can't buy an iPhone (any of my friendly American friends wish to donate one to me???) so an iPod with MultiTouch would be a dream come true:D

homeboy
Aug 28, 2007, 07:41 PM
Being a Beatles fanatic, i hope the back catalog is released aswell as the iPods, but does nobody else think this would be the perfect time for Apple to announce european iPhone release dates, prices and network suppliers?

I doubt that the iPhone will be mentioned during the event. It has already had it's time in the spot light and now it's time for the iPods to shine. Don't forget that Apple will be holding an expo in Paris later in September, which give them the opportunity to make iPhone and Leopard announcements.

johnmcboston
Aug 28, 2007, 07:43 PM
Interesting that Apple keeps pushing coverflow, when album covers are more irrelevant than ever...

Steve Jobs=God
Aug 28, 2007, 07:44 PM
Ah, i wasn't aware of that, it would make more sense to announce it in Europe

I feel so dumb :confused:

kbrain2929
Aug 28, 2007, 07:47 PM
Interesting that Apple keeps pushing coverflow, when album covers are more irrelevant than ever...

Agreed! While it's sexy lookin' and pretty cool on the iPhone, I don't use it. I don't think that many people use it. At least not as much as Apple first thought. :apple:

Steve Jobs=God
Aug 28, 2007, 07:47 PM
Ah, i wasn't aware of that, it would make more sense to announce it in Europe

I feel so dumb :confused:

*edit*

And i agree with the above poster in regards to coverflow, it's been squeezed far to much now, i mean in iTunes, yeah it works, but in a OS X finder? not for me

zap2
Aug 28, 2007, 07:48 PM
alright....now I need to get some $$$

papadopolis1024
Aug 28, 2007, 07:49 PM
alright....now I need to get some $$$

you read my mind

nemaslov
Aug 28, 2007, 07:54 PM

STRONGLY DISAGREE! That's the biggest loss of downloading music. Still would rather by a CD and load in up, Better sound quality, no limitations AND great artwork!

davester
Aug 28, 2007, 07:54 PM
I like the Eminem hat-tip there..

(a lyric from "Lose Yourself")

Don Bagles
Aug 28, 2007, 07:55 PM
I've got $600 set aside for this event. I'm ready Apple!

homeboy
Aug 28, 2007, 07:59 PM
Agreed! While it's sexy lookin' and pretty cool on the iPhone, I don't use it. I don't think that many people use it. At least not as much as Apple first thought. :apple:

It's one of those show of feature which is only fun for 5 minutes until you get bored with it, like Vista Aero window transition. Further it's not fun to use for by those who don't have a cover for every song.

http://i.dell.com/images/global/general/aero1.jpg

gkarris
Aug 28, 2007, 08:00 PM
I thought there was some sort of video showing the 5th generation iPods with coverflow - looks like it may have been real.

That would be way cool if 5G iPod owners can just upgrade to the new OS!

psychofreak
Aug 28, 2007, 08:02 PM
It's one of those show of feature which is only fun for 5 minutes until you get bored with it. Further it's not fun to use for by those who don't have a cover for every song.

Apple don't care if people use it, they have it because it sells the iPhone...

gugy
Aug 28, 2007, 08:03 PM
cool,
Now finally I will make my mind of either buy an iPod or iPhone.
if the iPod is everything the iPhone is minus phone. Then the iPod will be the winner.
If the iPod doesn't have wi-fi and is not touchscreen and widescreen, then it's the iPhone the winner.
I just hope to have something good not to become part of the AT&T organization. So iPod, make my day!

psychofreak
Aug 28, 2007, 08:03 PM
Further it's not fun to use for by those who don't have a cover for every song.

Yes, not many people were like me finding ALL the album art even before Apple started finding it for us...

150hp
Aug 28, 2007, 08:04 PM
CRAP --- BAAAAD NEWS...

I need to sell my free iPod nano on ebay... now it will be worthless...

Maybe worth less than before. If you feel it's truly "worthless" then let me know I pay you a couple of bucks to ship it to me.:p

Don Bagles
Aug 28, 2007, 08:06 PM
cool,
Now finally I will make my mind of either buy an iPod or iPhone.
if the iPod is everything the iPhone is minus phone. Then the iPod will be the winner.
If the iPod doesn't have wi-fi and is not touchscreen and widescreen, then it's the iPhone the winner.
I just hope to have something good not to become part of the AT&T organization. So iPod, make my day!

I'm confused. It's been CONFIRMED that the iPod will have a widescreen. You talk as if you don't know.

homeboy
Aug 28, 2007, 08:08 PM
I'm confused. It's been CONFIRMED that the iPod will have a widescreen. You talk as if you don't know.

Indeed. Cover flow is nothing but suited for a touch screen device which you can rotate.

mrkramer
Aug 28, 2007, 08:10 PM

it has not been confirmed, and it will not be confirmed until steve jobs pulls one out of his pocket at the event and then we will find out for sure whether it has a touch screen or not.

Don Bagles
Aug 28, 2007, 08:11 PM
I just had an epiphany.

With the latest version of iMovie having been turned into a movie player more than a movie editor, Apple can market the new iPod as: "Runs mobile versions of iTunes, iPhoto, and iMovie" and with the Mac OS interface like the iPhone, it can actually have those apps on it, as well as Quicktime and Text Edit and stuff. It will be very much like OS X.

it has not been confirmed, and it will not be confirmed until steve jobs pulls one out of his pocket at the event and then we will find out for sure whether it has a touch screen or not.

I said Widescreen, not touchscreen. Although it will most likely be touch screen as well.

nemaslov
Aug 28, 2007, 08:12 PM

IS that cover flow in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? :D

vandlism
Aug 28, 2007, 08:13 PM
I said Widescreen, not touchscreen. Although it will most likely be touch screen as well.

Yeah, there's still never been any evidence of a widescreen. Sure, it's rumored, expected, etc. But until there is an Apple PR posting, no confirmation.

Here's hoping that they have the new iPods in store on the 5th.

mrkramer
Aug 28, 2007, 08:14 PM

if it is widescreen how would you be able to control it without a touch screen? anyway for anything about it it is just unconfirmed rumors until we see it at the event.

MattyMac
Aug 28, 2007, 08:17 PM
WOOHOO! new iPods!!

Most likely...NO. When the 1st generation nanos came out on Sept. 7, 2005 I was very excited because I was just about to buy my 12 in. PB. This was the time that the free iPod mini with mac purchase was going on for students. However, to my disappointment, the new nano did not qulify for the rebate.

Rocketman
Aug 28, 2007, 08:18 PM
Won't it be funny when the new iPod releases are the first devices in the wild to be seen running OSX 10.5? :)

Rocketman

Chris.Thomson
Aug 28, 2007, 08:28 PM
Hi,

The Apple iPod Nano sale ends AFTER the event, and it wouldn't make sense for apple to release a new nano, in the middle of a sale?

I wish for iPhones in Canada, but that'll NEVER happen.

btallada9870
Aug 28, 2007, 08:32 PM
The promotion will not apply to the new models.

tartempion
Aug 28, 2007, 08:32 PM
Won't it be funny when the new iPod releases are the first devices in the wild to be seen running OSX 10.5? :)

Rocketman

Right !!!
In fact, that would be a real killer app!

gugy
Aug 28, 2007, 08:34 PM

nothing has been confirmed. Not even that an iPod is going to be announced at the event. All the info and speculation points to that, but no official word of a widescreen iPod or that they will announce it.

Confirmation is a strong word.

mrkramer
Aug 28, 2007, 08:38 PM
Hi,

The Apple iPod Nano sale ends AFTER the event, and it wouldn't make sense for apple to release a new nano, in the middle of a sale?

They have done it before, they just continue selling old models that you can get with the promotion until the promotion is over.

redrabbit
Aug 28, 2007, 08:39 PM
here's what I hope:

120gig at least, no wifi to cut down on the price, and under $400

DanB91
Aug 28, 2007, 08:39 PM
this doesnt look mac related :(

i couldnt care less about ipods

all i want is a mac gaming announcement

Virgil-TB2
Aug 28, 2007, 08:42 PM

That cover-shot reminds me of the "Love" Beatles album.No offense, but anyone who likes the Beatles "Love" album ... doesn't really like the Beatles.

If John Lennon was still alive and he ran into someone playing "Love" on their iPod there is a very good chance he would punch them in the face. :)

Don Bagles
Aug 28, 2007, 08:42 PM
here's what I hope:

120gig at least, no wifi to cut down on the price, and under $400

They'll be a model for under $400, but there will also be models with Wi-Fi.

arkmannj
Aug 28, 2007, 08:43 PM
I know it won't happen, but how about full touchscreen MBP's :-) we need something a little more to differentiate them from the MBs these days.
MBP's with atleast 1900x1200 on all models, LED backlighting, and touchscreen :-)

ok, well the new iPod's will be cool too I guess, but you can't blame me for wishing.

zub3qin
Aug 28, 2007, 08:44 PM
Is there a snowball's chance that either:

1) The new iPod will play DIVX or AVI files like the Zen Vision M?

2) The new iPod will have Wifi WITH Safari and Mail (not just for downloading or sharing music)?

I would pay $$$$$$ for these two features on a touchscreen iPod.

OrangeCuse44
this doesnt look mac related :(

i couldnt care less about ipods

all i want is a mac gaming announcement

huh??????????????

and a beatles catalog wouldnt be that great...dont we already own all the beatles we want anyway

spencecb

Could also be a reference to Madonna's new song, "The Beat Goes On." It was leaked to the internet last weak, so it is possible that it will be used during the special event. She has been involved with Apple Special events in the past.

psychofreak
Aug 28, 2007, 08:45 PM
No offense, but anyone who likes the Beatles "Love" album ... doesn't really like the Beatles.

If John Lennon was still alive and he ran into someone playing "Love" on their iPod there is a very good chance he would punch them in the face. :)
I am a big Beatles fan, and while most of "Love" is not very good, it does have its merits - namely the new "Back in the U.S.S.R.", I really like it :)

dan-o-mac
Aug 28, 2007, 08:45 PM
it probably has to do with some kind of partnership with Madonna because a song titled "The Beat Goes On" has leaked from her upcoming CD releasing this fall. Plus Madonna and Steve Jobs are Pals...

"Madonna had joked with Apple Inc.'s CEO Steve Jobs on a video conference in September, 2006, saying the title was "Revenge of the Broken Arm" while her arm was in a sling, considering her accident on her 47th Birthday just a few weeks before"

Come on now let's be serious. I doubt they would hold a special event for a Madonna partnership. You don't invite the media for something as lame as a Madonna partnership. :rolleyes:

gugy
Aug 28, 2007, 08:46 PM
but there will also be models with Wi-Fi.

how do you know that?
I have never heard anything about having or not having wi-fi. I think you are wishing.

Mgkwho
Aug 28, 2007, 08:49 PM
I really think scrolling using a circle is better than cover flow. It's one handed, whereas coverflow would require one hand to hold the iPod and another to touch.

Then again, the closest experience I've had in coverflow scrolling is my Mac's two-finger scrolling through iTunes. So maybe I'm just making uneducated assumptions.

-=|Mgkwho

Virgil-TB2
Aug 28, 2007, 08:51 PM

"Madonna had joked with Apple Inc.'s CEO Steve Jobs on a video conference in September, 2006, saying the title was "Revenge of the Broken Arm" while her arm was in a sling, considering her accident on her 47th Birthday just a few weeks before"Madonna was also the only non-Apple employee in the world that got an iPhone before it was released.
Not for testing, but for keeps. :eek:

I think it's kind of creepy. Can you imagine el Jobso all fawning and giggly over that over-hyped, talentless man-woman? It has about the same "ick-factor" as Balmer's monkey-dance IMO.

dan-o-mac
Aug 28, 2007, 08:53 PM
Does anyone actually use coverflow? It's a cool show-off feature but not very practical.

onionperson654
Aug 28, 2007, 08:54 PM
Finally: NEWS!!! A number of us have been hovering around these boards for the past week (for some, probably much longer, sigh…), and a good debate sort of fleshed out the thinking on the new ipods. Now that we know that there will be new ipods, and that they will almost certainly include a widescreen ipod, I though I would post the fruits of our debate for the many whom have not seen them. What follows below are not really my ideas, but just me reorganizing them all together (so thanks to everyone who posted on the earlier threads in the past week). I APPOLOGIZE for those who have already read this, I just wanted to keep it updated (I'm not trying to spam or anything, i guess I just don't know when to shut u...)

I just want to build on these ideas and go through a quick logical analysis on the product line as it might stand, so bear with me.
(sorry for the length, but there’s a lot to cover)

Assumptions
First, there are some important assumptions that can be helpful in narrowing down the options:
a) Ipod have always gotten unequivocally better than their previous versions. In every new generation, there has Always been models that loose nothing (really significant) from previous models. The only possible exception would be the mini diehards, but the nano proved to be a positive upgrade in all respects, with a smaller size, eventually greater capacity, and better battery life with flash memory. What Apple wants to avoid is making someone want to buy (other than for sentimentality) a previous version, and they have been successful.

b) Because of the above point, they are unlikely to do the following
i. Not include a HDD ipod. The highest conceivable flash-memory based ipod would have 32 gigs, and could pay a premium for that. Many people use up all of their 60 and 80 gig ipods, so not including one of the same or larger size would make a previous generation (and 5.0) superior in a significant way.
ii.Get rid of the small form factor of the nano. Unless the pictures have the scale wrong (maybe the click wheel isn’t the part that stays the same size, but the width, and its just a shorter nano but not wider???), they would be getting rid of the best selling Ipod ever, and not with a compatible version. The nano fills a huge niche: people who want to listen to some (not dozens of gigs) of music. Its cheap, small, and easy, and would remain popular even after it was discontinued. The nano, or some small and cheap heir, must remain.

c) Ignore the niche of the shuffle. It’s cheap, there are some people who love its size and functions, so why get rid of it? I don’t think than anyone is suspecting that, so we have another model.

Models
Let’s regroup. We have, at this point, two models that seem stupid to kill because there is nothing more to add (i.e. a larger screen, or a screen period) that wouldn’t come at the cost of what defines the Nano or shuffle (size, randomness). So we have:

1) SHUFFLE. While they may want to keep from having too many versions (like sandisk or creative, that make things complicated), there is no reason not to add a 4gb version, keep the 2gb version, and maybe have a 1gb version, with a subsequent price shift. Other devices are catching up and are cheaper, so apple may have to pull some muscle here.

2) NANO. While its hard to see them discontinuing it, it is also difficult to predict what they will do to differentiate it. Video (on the current sized pod) seems pointless (especially if the stubby comes to pass), and while a 16 gb version may be in the works, one would expect something more. Shorter pod? Longer screen? It’s impossible to tell without knowing the other models (or having a source).

3) TOUCH/WIDESCREEN. OK, now we KNOW there will be a widescreen. The current ipod video is primarily 2 years old. While a stubby (get to that later) could be in the works, that would be a pathetic upgrade to span 3 years of ipods, and by next fall, Apple would be significantly behind other companies. WI-FI would be nearly pointless (read Zune) on a click-wheel/small screen ipod, and so (baring Apple coming up with a new technology completely, like mind reading) widescreen is the first step (unless Steve thinks everyone loves coverflow enough to make it the only 6g advance, after which there would be a revolt). At this point, if they have OS X, then why not include multi-touch? While the click-wheel is sentimental (maybe have it as a virtual option), its in the past.

---Also, this is likely where a HDD would come in. While a “stubby” could have a hard drive, the primary use for the larger hard drives would be to include some video, which would go perfectly with a widescreen. Maybe they’ll have flash for frequently played songs (or loading current playlists before turning off the hard drive temporarily), and maybe they’ll have a flash-only version (although that could be too many models for Apple), but you can bet on a Widescreen, hard drive ipod with multi-touch.

---Wi-FI? I would love it, as my home and work all have WI-FI, so I could always be connected. THIS IS THE CENTRAL QUESTION. This has been a hotly debated topic, and it is hard to predict with the Iphone in the mix. That said, it was ApplePi at Appleinsider that made the most compelling argument. If the video has a Hard Drive (or at least 16 or 32 gigs of Flash) as it must for a video niche device, than it would far surpass the iphone in that regard. While some people would likely buy both, it is hard to see the iphone taking second place to an ipod at this time, as the ipod would only be lacking phone capability. Remember the January Keynote when Steve said there were three devices, for now, I think we can expect the Ipod (although we can still hope) to stay in its niche and let the iphone take all three. In a year or so, things may be different. Hopefully, even without internet and mail, the ipod will have calendar and pda capabilities (and why not?, its only software), as it will certainly have photos. It would, however, be interesting to see with AppleTV.

---If we’re lucky, though, it could have Bluetooth for synching to computers, each other, and most of all, headphones. This could open hacking for browsing the internet through ones Bluetooth enabled computer (many PDAs do this). The downside: its slow (although they DO use EDGE).

---Screen and size. Without the need for a microphone or earpiece built in, it could retain a 320:480 screen with a shorter form factor, or, if we’re really lucky, go wider (for true 16:9, although that seems like a longshot (I must admit, I checked the resolution on the picture that was posted with the announcement).

4) NEW NANO/STUBBY/MINI?. Here is where it gets a bit tricky. Without knowing prices for the new Nano and Touch, it is hard to know if there is room for something inbetween. What IS promising, however, is that while the 3 above models have logic behind them, the newest device is the one that has been getting the most rumors (and fake pictures), surpassing even the touch. While it doesn’t fit a random/small/video nitch of the other three models, Apple could add it between a $200 8gb Nano and $350/$400 Touch. If the top Nano is $250 and the Touch is $299, then there is much less room for another device. Shrinking the video ipod, however, could be easy, cheap, and compete against devices in that niche (while the Touch has the premium slot all to its own). If it IS flash, it could be much thinner (there have been pictures), which wouldn’t make it seem so obese but more like a thin but wide card.

Caveats
While these above products seem logical, there are a few important caveats:
i) Apple may work on the best technologies it can and see how they come together, rather than pre-planning everything.
ii) Apple’s AT&T agreement could throw a wrench into everything, but don’t bet on apple being that stupid.
iii) Apple has, in the past, kept down the number of specific models. There are, at the moment, 2 video ipods, 3 nanos, and a shuffle. We could see 2 touch ipods, 2 video ipods, 2/3 nanos, and 2 shuffles. On the other hand, the market and technology has only grown, and as apple can outcompete others directly, they may opt for more models.
iv) Apple has shown itself to have many tricks up its sleeve. We could still be in for a WOW display (but seriously, don’t expect the iphone nano). Expect SOMETHING that no one has mentioned on this board.
v) Apple may not be too hesitant to steal market share from itself. While its contract with AT&T may bind it somewhat, the real bottom line is profit, not units sold. It has been calculated that the iphone costs less to build than 50% of its sales price, plus the money in a 2-year cellular data contract. If it comes up with a stubby ipod, than it could make a more expensive ($400?) ipod touch with WI-FI, cover the entire spectrum of the market, and only bring in more money. It seems more likely, however, that they will leave out the WI-FI, lower the price and profit margin per unit but selling many more units ($299 is much easier to sell than $399) and leave the iphone for those willing to give Apple really sick profits (thats what you get when you have a monopoly of that power.
vi) The Beatles? I’m not a fan more than your average person (which, I guess, means that I am a fan), but it seems like a good time, if they have finally worked out the negotiations, to release their albums. A special version (perhaps with all of the beatles music preloaded, although one would have to expect that any fan that would buy this would already have most if not all of the music) could be in the works (like the product/red version of the nano). Plus, wouldn’t it be cool to coordinate this with an update of the UK store?

Well, I guess I ranted for a while, but It helped me make sense of all of the rumors that I’ve been hearing, so score one for sanity. I’ve been waiting for an ipod forever (I’ve used a PDA, which was OK, but not refined), and haven’t wanted to get something (i.e. 5.5g) that will soon be out of date (although if they release ipod Wi-FI next year, I’ll be annoyed). I’d love it to be Sept. 5, and while the store stocking reports hint towards that, Apple has yet to mention anything other than the Paris expo, and we are all probably a little biased (and very impatient) for an earlier release dade.

At the same time, as many of people became impatient on the earlier boards, talk turned to a device I hadn’t looked at: the archos 605. A widescreen (with 800x480 resolution!) with touch capabilities and WI-FI for $279 for 30gigs (plus flash/80/and160 gig versions) that isn’t much larger than the current ipod and kicks it butt in the current niche. I hope this makes Apple do WI-FI with internet, because if not, then I’ll probably get an Archos 605 or a refurbished iphone with an unlock hack (and hope the cell hack becomes availible).

I’d just like to thank everyone on this (and a few other boards), because most of what I’ve written above (and all of the good stuff) came from many others debating this. I just like lists, and I’d like nothing better than being able to scroll through my music lists with muti-touch and coverflow within a couple of weeks while being able to check my email.

jaw04005
Aug 28, 2007, 08:55 PM
If they don't update the damn Apple TV to support video playlists and offer HD content on the iTunes store, I'm selling mine. :mad:

redrabbit
Aug 28, 2007, 08:57 PM
Does anyone actually use coverflow? It's a cool show-off feature but not very practical.

I would use it in itunes if it let me full screen on my second monitor. Right now, full screen blacks out the other monitor not being used. If I could somehow have itunes in full screen cover flow on one monitor while I did work on another, i would *always* be using it

DaBrain
Aug 28, 2007, 08:59 PM

I guess I just don't get it? If ya need a phone, iPod and Internet via edge etc... then iPhone is the way to go! Of course you gotta be able to afford a 2 year commitment to AT&T's contract!

BUT, if ya want an iPOD with massive storage and hopefully some other great features then iPod is the way to go! Of course this option is much cheaper, considering there's no 2 year contract!

The choice is really clear for all of us!

Now let's see some real innovation! :D

zedsdead
Aug 28, 2007, 09:00 PM
If they don't update the damn Apple TV to support video playlists and offer HD content on the iTunes store, I'm selling mine. :mad:

While I won't get rid of the few in my house...I do agree...we need HD!

jicon
Aug 28, 2007, 09:02 PM
I just had an epiphany.

With the latest version of iMovie having been turned into a movie player more than a movie editor, Apple can market the new iPod as: "Runs mobile versions of iTunes, iPhoto, and iMovie" and with the Mac OS interface like the iPhone, it can actually have those apps on it, as well as Quicktime and Text Edit and stuff. It will be very much like OS X.

WOW. That is quite the Kool-Aid you're drinking there... Let's take transferring files to an iPod out of the equation for the moment:

If iMovie 06 takes forever and a day to render a movie on a G4 mini, and iMovie 08 won't even run on such a processor, what has you believe iMovie could possibly run on a handheld device in some decent fashion? Let's not even get in to screen size limitations...

I guarantee the OS will be closed, much like the iPhone. Great if there was a texteditor, and room for Quicktime plug-ins, but I'm not holding my breath.

RaulCelis
Aug 28, 2007, 09:02 PM
Finally!!!! I was waiting for a new iPod revision since las year! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Want it now!!!!!!!

Hecklerdanny
Aug 28, 2007, 09:03 PM

I'm glad someone brought this up. I do NOT use Coverflow. It's one of those things that are cool for about the first 3 or 4 minutes, but after that you realize that there are just better and faster ways of getting to your music. Not to mention that most of my music doesn't even have album covers for it. So when I DO use Coverflow I get "Blank - blank - blank - Jimmy Eat World - Clarity - blank - blank - blank - Red House Painters - Songs for a Blue Guitar - blank - blank - blank". I think you get the picture. I honestly don't see the point of Coverflow. The new Leopoard OS uses Coverflow in Finder! That's just weird...and kind of sad....and dumb.

So in short, I agree with you, it's just not very practical.

DaBrain
Aug 28, 2007, 09:03 PM
I would probably pay $599, happily, for a 30GB iPhone (sans phone). It's fine if it's a hard drive based device. I do need Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi is the deal maker or breaker for me.

Dittos :D

spyderracer393
Aug 28, 2007, 09:04 PM
not to be cynical or anything...because I really hope the new iPods are —multi-touch, with wifi, airport, mail, iChat, and are basically an iPod/PDA/iPhone minus the phone — iPod, but just because coverflow is depicted in the invitation, doesn't mean at all that it will be an iPhone without the phone. Coverflow could easily be implemented in the current interface. Scrolling right would go to albums to the right, and same for the left...

I really hope I am wrong, maybe that just happens with the nano or that new square, rumored iPod. I have been using my 2G 10GB iPod for a long time now, and am ready to carry all of my music with me, on a device that is similar to the iPhone.

DaftUnion
Aug 28, 2007, 09:06 PM
I can't wait to see what they have in store for the fifth.

arkmannj
Aug 28, 2007, 09:07 PM

I feel your pain, I like the Apple TV but my immediate wish list would be:
1) More codec, and file type support
2) Recode multichannel AAC to Dolby Surround or DTS on the fly
so we can get real surround sound out of the optical audio out (and HDMI)

3) Make some kind of use of the USB port:
3a) I'd like to be able to hookup my iPod Dock to it, & browse/play iPod/iPhone contents.
3b) Allow a USB Hub so I can do the above and still hook up additional external storage.

4) Let the Apple TV share/stream content
5) Direct iTunes Store Access

SactoGuy18
Aug 28, 2007, 09:07 PM
If the new nano video has a screen almost as big as the 5.5G iPod and offers 16 GB of flash memory storage for US$299, sold! :D

Hecklerdanny
Aug 28, 2007, 09:08 PM
I'm really excited about the new iPods being full screen, touch, with Wi-fi...But i've got to help you all in not getting your hopes up. Trust me, I'd love to have an iPhone minus the phone probably more than anyone who has every posted that, but I'm telling you, I don't think there's anyway that Apple will release a new iPod with wifi internet on it. And it's NOT because it would "cannibalize iphone sales"...I really hate that term, it makes no sense. Who is cannablizing sales from? Doesn't all the money you spend on Apple products go to one place at the end of the day...Apple?

I can't wait to see what Apple has in store for us, just don't get your hopes up for a Wifi iPod...We probably WILL get a full screen touch iPod with photos, etc, though.

I guess we'll all know soon.

queshy
Aug 28, 2007, 09:09 PM
I think that the price points will remain the same if not lower.

I also really hope they offer it in white. I would love to see just a 5 G iPod with a touchscreen that covers the entire iPod. Then I'd be pretty happy.

poblack
Aug 28, 2007, 09:10 PM
Are these the new 6G Ipods:

[URL="http://static.blogo.it/melablog/touchscreen_ipod.jpg[/URL]

http://static.blogo.it/melablog/touchscreen_ipod.jpg

JGF0x
Aug 28, 2007, 09:12 PM
I'd simply be happy with DVD quality tv/movie downloads from iTunes and a full touchscreen iPod similar to what is available with the iPhone. I've been wondering why I pay for cable ($75-$80/month for relatively basic channels) yet I have a DVR filled with stuff since May 2007 because I never have time to sit down and watch tv. If the "ipod touch" comes out I will gladly buy the iPod touch, cancel cable and download tv shows to my iPod. At least then I'll be able to watch tv at the gym while doing cardio and with the few shows I watch it'll be a great $ savings over cable. I can't be the only one who would do this... Anyone else? :confused:

SthrnCmfrtr
Aug 28, 2007, 09:13 PM
I'm glad someone brought this up. I do NOT use Coverflow. It's one of those things that are cool for about the first 3 or 4 minutes, but after that you realize that there are just better and faster ways of getting to your music. Not to mention that most of my music doesn't even have album covers for it. So when I DO use Coverflow I get "Blank - blank - blank - Jimmy Eat World - Clarity - blank - blank - blank - Red House Painters - Songs for a Blue Guitar - blank - blank - blank". I think you get the picture. I honestly don't see the point of Coverflow. The new Leopoard OS uses Coverflow in Finder! That's just weird...and kind of sad....and dumb.

So in short, I agree with you, it's just not very practical.

I love Coverflow. Well, for iTunes, and on my iPhone. But then, I have only entire albums in my library, and I painstakingly retrieved high-res art from http://www.rateyourmusic.com/ , so YMMV. I adore it, and wish it was in my AppleTV's system so I could use it there too.

psychofreak
Aug 28, 2007, 09:13 PM
Who is cannablizing sales from? Doesn't all the money you spend on Apple products go to one place at the end of the day...Apple? Some people think that if the two devices are radically different, many people will buy both, while if they are similar, a customer will only buy one device...

grpaul349
Aug 28, 2007, 09:17 PM
I do hope they are widescreen, etc... but more than that I hope they aren't so damn scratch-prone as my current 5.5 G ipod. Just once I'd like to take it out of its case and not worry about it being scratched.

While I don't want it armorized - the only really annoying thing about my ipod is that it gained bulk with a case - and if you don't have the case on it gets scratched all to he&&.

ezekielrage_99
Aug 28, 2007, 09:17 PM
My prediction is a G5 Widescreen iPod Touch, the G5 Powerbook rumors are just plain silly now.....

tartempion
Aug 28, 2007, 09:20 PM

Wrong! My 4 years old boy really loves it !!!

dan-o-mac
Aug 28, 2007, 09:21 PM
Finally: NEWS!!! A number of us have been hovering around these boards for the past week (for some, probably much longer, sigh…), and a good debate sort of fleshed out the thinking on the new ipods. Now that we know that there will be new ipods, and that they will almost certainly include a widescreen ipod, I though I would post the fruits of our debate for the many whom have not seen them. What follows below are not really my ideas, but just me reorganizing them all together (so thanks to everyone who posted on the earlier threads in the past week). I APPOLOGIZE for those who have already read this, I just wanted to keep it updated (I'm not trying to spam or anything, i guess I just don't know when to shut u...)

I just want to build on these ideas and go through a quick logical analysis on the product line as it might stand, so bear with me.
(sorry for the length, but there’s a lot to cover)

Assumptions
First, there are some important assumptions that can be helpful in narrowing down the options:
a) Ipod have always gotten unequivocally better than their previous versions. In every new generation, there has Always been models that loose nothing (really significant) from previous models. The only possible exception would be the mini diehards, but the nano proved to be a positive upgrade in all respects, with a smaller size, eventually greater capacity, and better battery life with flash memory. What Apple wants to avoid is making someone want to buy (other than for sentimentality) a previous version, and they have been successful.

b) Because of the above point, they are unlikely to do the following
i. Not include a HDD ipod. The highest conceivable flash-memory based ipod would have 32 gigs, and could pay a premium for that. Many people use up all of their 60 and 80 gig ipods, so not including one of the same or larger size would make a previous generation (and 5.0) superior in a significant way.
ii.Get rid of the small form factor of the nano. Unless the pictures have the scale wrong (maybe the click wheel isn’t the part that stays the same size, but the width, and its just a shorter nano but not wider???), they would be getting rid of the best selling Ipod ever, and not with a compatible version. The nano fills a huge niche: people who want to listen to some (not dozens of gigs) of music. Its cheap, small, and easy, and would remain popular even after it was discontinued. The nano, or some small and cheap heir, must remain.

c) Ignore the niche of the shuffle. It’s cheap, there are some people who love its size and functions, so why get rid of it? I don’t think than anyone is suspecting that, so we have another model.

Models
Let’s regroup. We have, at this point, two models that seem stupid to kill because there is nothing more to add (i.e. a larger screen, or a screen period) that wouldn’t come at the cost of what defines the Nano or shuffle (size, randomness). So we have:

1) SHUFFLE. While they may want to keep from having too many versions (like sandisk or creative, that make things complicated), there is no reason not to add a 4gb version, keep the 2gb version, and maybe have a 1gb version, with a subsequent price shift. Other devices are catching up and are cheaper, so apple may have to pull some muscle here.

2) NANO. While its hard to see them discontinuing it, it is also difficult to predict what they will do to differentiate it. Video (on the current sized pod) seems pointless (especially if the stubby comes to pass), and while a 16 gb version may be in the works, one would expect something more. Shorter pod? Longer screen? It’s impossible to tell without knowing the other models (or having a source).

3) TOUCH/WIDESCREEN. OK, now we KNOW there will be a widescreen. The current ipod video is primarily 2 years old. While a stubby (get to that later) could be in the works, that would be a pathetic upgrade to span 3 years of ipods, and by next fall, Apple would be significantly behind other companies. WI-FI would be nearly pointless (read Zune) on a click-wheel/small screen ipod, and so (baring Apple coming up with a new technology completely, like mind reading) widescreen is the first step (unless Steve thinks everyone loves coverflow enough to make it the only 6g advance, after which there would be a revolt). At this point, if they have OS X, then why not include multi-touch? While the click-wheel is sentimental (maybe have it as a virtual option), its in the past.

---Also, this is likely where a HDD would come in. While a “stubby” could have a hard drive, the primary use for the larger hard drives would be to include some video, which would go perfectly with a widescreen. Maybe they’ll have flash for frequently played songs (or loading current playlists before turning off the hard drive temporarily), and maybe they’ll have a flash-only version (although that could be too many models for Apple), but you can bet on a Widescreen, hard drive ipod with multi-touch.

---Wi-FI? I would love it, as my home and work all have WI-FI, so I could always be connected. THIS IS THE CENTRAL QUESTION. This has been a hotly debated topic, and it is hard to predict with the Iphone in the mix. That said, it was ApplePi at Appleinsider that made the most compelling argument. If the video has a Hard Drive (or at least 16 or 32 gigs of Flash) as it must for a video niche device, than it would far surpass the iphone in that regard. While some people would likely buy both, it is hard to see the iphone taking second place to an ipod at this time, as the ipod would only be lacking phone capability. Remember the January Keynote when Steve said there were three devices, for now, I think we can expect the Ipod (although we can still hope) to stay in its niche and let the iphone take all three. In a year or so, things may be different. Hopefully, even without internet and mail, the ipod will have calendar and pda capabilities (and why not?, its only software), as it will certainly have photos. It would, however, be interesting to see with AppleTV.

---If we’re lucky, though, it could have Bluetooth for synching to computers, each other, and most of all, headphones. This could open hacking for browsing the internet through ones Bluetooth enabled computer (many PDAs do this). The downside: its slow (although they DO use EDGE).

---Screen and size. Without the need for a microphone or earpiece built in, it could retain a 320:480 screen with a shorter form factor, or, if we’re really lucky, go wider (for true 16:9, although that seems like a longshot (I must admit, I checked the resolution on the picture that was posted with the announcement).

4) NEW NANO/STUBBY/MINI?. Here is where it gets a bit tricky. Without knowing prices for the new Nano and Touch, it is hard to know if there is room for something inbetween. What IS promising, however, is that while the 3 above models have logic behind them, the newest device is the one that has been getting the most rumors (and fake pictures), surpassing even the touch. While it doesn’t fit a random/small/video nitch of the other three models, Apple could add it between a $200 8gb Nano and $350/$400 Touch. If the top Nano is $250 and the Touch is $299, then there is much less room for another device. Shrinking the video ipod, however, could be easy, cheap, and compete against devices in that niche (while the Touch has the premium slot all to its own). If it IS flash, it could be much thinner (there have been pictures), which wouldn’t make it seem so obese but more like a thin but wide card.

Caveats
While these above products seem logical, there are a few important caveats:
i) Apple may work on the best technologies it can and see how they come together, rather than pre-planning everything.
ii) Apple’s AT&T agreement could throw a wrench into everything, but don’t bet on apple being that stupid.
iii) Apple has, in the past, kept down the number of specific models. There are, at the moment, 2 video ipods, 3 nanos, and a shuffle. We could see 2 touch ipods, 2 video ipods, 2/3 nanos, and 2 shuffles. On the other hand, the market and technology has only grown, and as apple can outcompete others directly, they may opt for more models.
iv) Apple has shown itself to have many tricks up its sleeve. We could still be in for a WOW display (but seriously, don’t expect the iphone nano). Expect SOMETHING that no one has mentioned on this board.
v) Apple may not be too hesitant to steal market share from itself. While its contract with AT&T may bind it somewhat, the real bottom line is profit, not units sold. It has been calculated that the iphone costs less to build than 50% of its sales price, plus the money in a 2-year cellular data contract. If it comes up with a stubby ipod, than it could make a more expensive ($400?) ipod touch with WI-FI, cover the entire spectrum of the market, and only bring in more money. It seems more likely, however, that they will leave out the WI-FI, lower the price and profit margin per unit but selling many more units ($299 is much easier to sell than $399) and leave the iphone for those willing to give Apple really sick profits (thats what you get when you have a monopoly of that power.
vi) The Beatles? I’m not a fan more than your average person (which, I guess, means that I am a fan), but it seems like a good time, if they have finally worked out the negotiations, to release their albums. A special version (perhaps with all of the beatles music preloaded, although one would have to expect that any fan that would buy this would already have most if not all of the music) could be in the works (like the product/red version of the nano). Plus, wouldn’t it be cool to coordinate this with an update of the UK store?

Well, I guess I ranted for a while, but It helped me make sense of all of the rumors that I’ve been hearing, so score one for sanity. I’ve been waiting for an ipod forever (I’ve used a PDA, which was OK, but not refined), and haven’t wanted to get something (i.e. 5.5g) that will soon be out of date (although if they release ipod Wi-FI next year, I’ll be annoyed). I’d love it to be Sept. 5, and while the store stocking reports hint towards that, Apple has yet to mention anything other than the Paris expo, and we are all probably a little biased (and very impatient) for an earlier release dade.

At the same time, as many of people became impatient on the earlier boards, talk turned to a device I hadn’t looked at: the archos 605. A widescreen (with 800x480 resolution!) with touch capabilities and WI-FI for $279 for 30gigs (plus flash/80/and160 gig versions) that isn’t much larger than the current ipod and kicks it butt in the current niche. I hope this makes Apple do WI-FI with internet, because if not, then I’ll probably get an Archos 605 or a refurbished iphone with an unlock hack (and hope the cell hack becomes availible).

I’d just like to thank everyone on this (and a few other boards), because most of what I’ve written above (and all of the good stuff) came from many others debating this. I just like lists, and I’d like nothing better than being able to scroll through my music lists with muti-touch and coverflow within a couple of weeks while being able to check my email.

Great post. I took a look at that Archos 605, I gotta say I'm not a fan. It looks clunky and cheaply built. too many buttons and too much stuff going on with the interface. It would be a kick ass device with the Apple touch though.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1917203226240381795&q=Archos+605&total=97&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=4

JGowan
Aug 28, 2007, 09:21 PM
Does anyone else think that "The beat goes on" is a not so veiled reference to a one more thing... with the Beatles catalog going on itunes?I TOTALLY THINK YOU'RE RIGHT!!

"THE BEATLES GO ON (ITUNES)"! And with Ringo going on iTunes, I am just about sure. Perhaps George hasn't gone on because he's on a label that's not playing ball with Apple.

New Cinema Displays! C'mon Jobs, it's been since 1994.While I share your angst, "The Beat Goes On" and Coverflow Album Art does not quite say "Cinema Displays" to me. But what do I know?

Interesting that Apple keeps pushing coverflow, when album covers are more irrelevant than ever...I have to completely disagree with you on this. I think the iPod is the perfect venue for Coverflow. While you might use the list view initially to find the artist you want to hear, I think that it would become so perfectly normal to simply go horizontal with the unit to find the next album you want to listen to if it's more of the same person/group. Just a touch to the left or the right and you've got the next album.

Hecklerdanny
Aug 28, 2007, 09:22 PM
I love Coverflow. Well, for iTunes, and on my iPhone. But then, I have only entire albums in my library, and I painstakingly retrieved high-res art from http://www.rateyourmusic.com/ , so YMMV. I adore it, and wish it was in my AppleTV's system so I could use it there too.

Maybe the "painstakingly retrieved high-res art" is the part that I'm going to just have to buckle up and do one of these days. Maybe then I'll see the true point of Coverflow, because I've gotta be honest, right now I just don't see why it's practical to use in a simple, on the computer, music listening session while I use photoshop or something.

twoodcc
Aug 28, 2007, 09:24 PM
well i think it's safe to say that coverflow will at least be on the new big ipod, and probably the nano as well (or whatever the new smaller video ipod will be called)

Hecklerdanny
Aug 28, 2007, 09:26 PM
Some people think that if the two devices are radically different, many people will buy both, while if they are similar, a customer will only buy one device...

Good points there, but I think that by this point it should be clear to Apple that the reason why every kid in America doesn't have the iPhone is because it has a phone agreement attached to it. In my case, I CAN'T switch because my work pays for my service (not AT&T), My girlfriend CAN'T switch because there is no AT&T service in her area, and so on, and so on....But if Apple made an iPhone, without the phone, I would buy on right now...Heck, I would have bought one months ago. Just my two cents. The problem is that in the meantime, I CAN'T own an iPhone, my girlfriend CAN'T own an iPhone...It's not even a matter of not "wanting" one, in some cases, it's a matter of Apple coming out with a product that a certain number of people just CAN'T own, due to service coverage, previous phone contracts, etc. It crazy to me.

rbroady
Aug 28, 2007, 09:28 PM
first day of classes is 12:00 on wednesday:eek:

do you think they will go on sale wednesday or a few weeks, i have a feeling its gonna be on wednesday, in that case i will be booking it down to SOHO or up 5th have for my new ipod:D

boxandrew
Aug 28, 2007, 09:29 PM
I would use it in itunes if it let me full screen on my second monitor. Right now, full screen blacks out the other monitor not being used. If I could somehow have itunes in full screen cover flow on one monitor while I did work on another, i would *always* be using it

Have you tried moving the main iTunes window to the other monitor and then choosing full screen? Just a thought.

rbroady
Aug 28, 2007, 09:31 PM
oh yea and this "ultra-portable slim laptop"= new ipod:)

wakerider017
Aug 28, 2007, 09:33 PM
Hmmm...

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/2985/12255966649f4b1cb677yd7.jpg

And a video of a bunch of different concepts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny-7xmfA1vQ

fawlty
Aug 28, 2007, 09:34 PM

But the particular album covers on this invitation are highly relevant.

tennismanclay
Aug 28, 2007, 09:40 PM
IF new ipods came out, and IF i decided to buy one, and IF there wasnt a apple store in my city and IF Bestbuy got them in quickly how long would you say before bestbuy would have them. IF it would be faster to do that than order online from the apple store.

IF i was dreaming i would hope for a touchscreen ipod with the same form factor as the iphone, with a diff ui (the homescreen, music, videos, photos, i get tired of.) Hopefully the homescreen will be more like Ipod, Safari, Settings, And ya....

-Clay

wakerider017
Aug 28, 2007, 09:42 PM
IF new ipods came out, and IF i decided to buy one, and IF there wasnt a apple store in my city and IF Bestbuy got them in quickly how long would you say before bestbuy would have them. IF it would be faster to do that than order online from the apple store.

IF i was dreaming i would hope for a touchscreen ipod with the same form factor as the iphone, with a diff ui (the homescreen, music, videos, photos, i get tired of.) Hopefully the homescreen will be more like Ipod, Safari, Settings, And ya....

-Clay

You like the word "IF"?

I will be buying mine on Amazon.com if I like it... Free shipping and No tax...

Raska
Aug 28, 2007, 09:46 PM
Of course I have my first day of classes during the event. I'll make sure I bring my MBP with me to see what happens and potentially purchase a new iPod :)

bdj21ya
Aug 28, 2007, 09:51 PM
Even though this is an iPod event, Steve will say, "One more thing" as he pulls the cover off the new Mac Mini Maxi.

Um, is it a mac and a tampon? I know Apple has been all about convergence lately, but I think that's pushing it a bit too far! :D

The_Man
Aug 28, 2007, 09:53 PM
OMG!!11!!!one!!!1! Thys is lyk s0 grate! itz gunna hav blutooth n wifi n hoverboard capibilities!!!!!1!!!!11!!!

I have been waiting so long for an iPod update, actually I have been waiting since a few months before the 5.5G update--So over a year.

I would be pleased if it were just touch screen and at least 80 gigs.

Anything more would be a miracle. (As in WiFi or Bluetooth).

Regardless, I am buying one. My old one was stolen two years ago and I am ready for a new one.

ezekielrage_99
Aug 28, 2007, 09:56 PM
Hmmm...

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/2985/12255966649f4b1cb677yd7.jpg

It really would surprise me if the new iPods looks like that.

queshy
Aug 28, 2007, 09:59 PM
How can this thread be getting -'ves already! The new iPods weren't even announced! The special event is super exciting- people who gave -'ves should wait til the iPods come out before judging the announcement, lol. whatever.

I really can't wait til wednesday...2nd day of school, but i'll be on my laptop all day haha

zap2
Aug 28, 2007, 10:00 PM
I think the Beatles are coming...a few weeks ago they add Lennon, McCartney before that, and now Ringo this week.

zub3qin
Aug 28, 2007, 10:01 PM
WiFi WILL be included in the new iPod.

I think Apple needs to offer something more than touch on the new iPod.

While people here may buy the new iPod no matter what, the reality is that Apple needs to offer some new functionality to sell to the masses.

Almost everyone has an iPod by now. Apple needs to sell a new iPod to current iPod owners. The average Joe (or parents of Joe) aren't going to by a new iPod just because there is a new touch interface with coverflow. Also, what is the point of OS X on the iPod... just coverflow? This leads me to believe that WiFI HAS to be included (a WiPod?) for email/internet.
Many can argue that WiFi will cannibalize iPhone sales. I don't think so. There are many many many people who would buy an iPod but would NEVER get an iPhone (think parents shopping for kids/students). The number of Wifi iPods sold would more than make up for the lost iPhone sales.

Creative Solution: Apple chooses to release BOTH versions. A $299 touch iPod and a $399 wifi enabled iPod.

Even if the wiPod is the same price as an iPhone, there are plenty who would buy it... and since they are paying the same as an iPhone, there is no cannibalization of sales.

I suspect that the difference in cost to make a wifi vs non-wifi version is a couple of dollars-- Apple can easily charge $100 more for the wifi enabled version.

Why won't Apple do this?

Mgkwho
Aug 28, 2007, 10:02 PM
first day of classes is 12:00 on wednesday:eek:

Same for me, but I'm done at 12 CST- just in time for the SE!

-=|Mgkwho

jonessodarally
Aug 28, 2007, 10:05 PM
Have I just missed it, or is it really true that NOBODY has thought about having wi-fi on the iPod simply to allow you to stream music, video, etc from your iPod to your AppleTV??

They need to give the AppleTV a greater purpose, and you know how Apple loooooves to talk about making everything work together. This seems like a given. You can stream from your computer. Why not let you stream from your iPod??

Seriously, nobody? It's a decent theory isn't it?
I read all 7 pages of posts (more interesting that working on coursework, heh) and didn't see anyone mention it.

Someone commented on hooking an iPod dock up to the USB port, but.. eh. I'd rather just be.. in the area.

I can see something like "Hey [insert friend's name], i just downloaded the whole 3rd season of THE OFFICE to my iPod, want me to bring it over and we can watch some on your AppleTV?"

Let me know if I'm completely out of line with this idea. I'd be really proud of Apple if they made something like this happen. I mean, or just call up that 17-year-old kid and have him do some more iPhone hacking. :rolleyes:

queshy
lmao it would be funny if the new iPods had no coverflow...haha

savar
with cover flow. OMFGBBQ!1111111!

OFMGBBQ = oh my freaking god...barbecue?

Don Bagles
Aug 28, 2007, 10:07 PM
WiFi WILL be included in the new iPod.

I think Apple needs to offer something more than touch on the new iPod.

While people here may buy the new iPod no matter what, the reality is that Apple needs to offer some new functionality to sell to the masses.

Almost everyone has an iPod by now. Apple needs to sell a new iPod to current iPod owners. The average Joe (or parents of Joe) aren't going to by a new iPod just because there is a new touch interface with coverflow. Also, what is the point of OS X on the iPod... just coverflow? This leads me to believe that WiFI HAS to be included (a WiPod?) for email/internet.

1) Now may argue that WiFi will cannibalize iPhone sales. I don't think so. There are many many many people who would buy an iPod but would NEVER get an iPhone (think parents shopping for kids/students). The number of Wifi iPods sold would more than make up for the lost iPhone sales.

Creative Solution: Apple chooses to release BOTH versions. A touch iPod and a wifi enabled iPod (at a premium cost).

Even if the wiPod is the same price as an iPhone, there are plenty who would buy it... and since they are paying the same as an iPhone, there is no cannibalization of sales.

I suspect that the difference in cost to make a wifi vs non-wifi version is a couple of dollars-- Apple can easily charge $100 more for the wifi enabled version.

Why won't Apple do this?

That's precisely what i've been saying for the past couple days. There is NO WAY they are releasing a new line of iPods without at least one of them having Wi-Fi and Safari.

zub3qin
Aug 28, 2007, 10:08 PM
Apple may not be too hesitant to steal market share from itself. While its contract with AT&T may bind it somewhat, the real bottom line is profit, not units sold. It has been calculated that the iphone costs less to build than 50% of its sales price, plus the money in a 2-year cellular data contract. If it comes up with a stubby ipod, than it could make a more expensive ($400?) ipod touch with WI-FI, cover the entire spectrum of the market, and only bring in more money. It seems more likely, however, that they will leave out the WI-FI, lower the price and profit margin per unit but selling many more units ($299 is much easier to sell than $399) and leave the iphone for those willing to give Apple really sick profits (thats what you get when you have a monopoly of that power.

Why wouldn't Apple sell BOTH? A $299 iPod and a $399 wifi Ipod (WiPod)?

Mgkwho
Aug 28, 2007, 10:09 PM
Here's what I'm guessing for the music event:

Music business recap, acknowledgment of new UK tv shows and market share.
iPod, (+ iPhone?) car integration recap
iTunes HD announcement
AppleTV firmware announcement
iPod shuffle 1GB price drop, $99 2GB black shuffle
iPod nano updates w/ bluetooth, fm tuner
iPod completely redesigned: full screen, touch control, bluetooth, fm tuner, (and ideally wifi, but I doubt it)
Beatles on iTunes

3 models only, that's all folks

Pretty ordinary, obvious assumptions.

-=|Mgkwho

djejrejk

mmmm... Flaming Lips

jonessodarally
Have I just missed it, or is it really true that NOBODY has thought about having wi-fi on the iPod simply to allow you to stream music, video, etc from your iPod to your AppleTV??

They need to give the AppleTV a greater purpose, and you know how Apple loooooves to talk about making everything work together. This seems like a given. You can stream from your computer. Why not let you stream from your iPod??

I read all 7 pages of posts (more interesting that working on coursework, heh) and didn't see anyone mention it.

Someone commented on hooking an iPod dock up to the USB port, but.. eh. I'd rather just be.. in the area.

I can see something like "Hey [insert friend's name], i just downloaded the whole 3rd season of THE OFFICE to my iPod, want me to bring it over and we can watch some on your AppleTV?"

Let me know if I'm completely out of line with this idea. I'd be really proud of Apple if they made something like this happen. I mean, or just call up that 17-year-old kid and have him do some more iPhone hacking. :rolleyes:

P.S. I hope at least a few of you caught the reference to the SNL skit where they were talking about the iPhone when it was first announced, and mentioned THE OFFICE like ten times. :D

Taylor C
Aug 28, 2007, 10:10 PM
I'm excited, all these Apple events are delicious. <3 :apple:

jdkmac
Aug 28, 2007, 10:10 PM
I decided to Google "beatles beat goes on" and the first hit I get takes you to a site with an interesting quote:

"Spring is here and Leeds play Chelsea tomorrow and Ringo and John
and George and Paul are alive and well and full of hope.
The world is still spinning and so are we and so are you.
When the spinning stops — that'll be the time to worry, not before.
Until then, the Beatles are alive and well and the beat goes on, the beat goes on."
— Final Beatles press release, April 10, 1970

I think that confirms that the Beatles will be on iTunes soon. I love the Beatles, but I am keeping my fingers crossed for the bigger announcement of the multi-touch iPod.

Don Bagles
Aug 28, 2007, 10:14 PM
See.. i'm confused, because so many people are doubtful about the new iPod having Wi-Fi.

Do you realize what it would mean for Apple if the new iPod DIDN'T have Wi-Fi?

Would ANYBODY buy it over the iPhone? It's completely ludicrous to think that there will be no iPod model that has Wi-Fi.

I'm done.

alec
yesss new ipods yes yes yesyesyesy

m-dogg

Yeah...let's see...what are the other albums on the invite?

Keane - Under the Iron Sea
Flaming Lips - Yoshimi...
Beastie Boys - The Mix-Up
__________ - ___________
Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams
__________ - ___________

Anybody know what those other two albums are?

Mitch2003
Aug 28, 2007, 10:19 PM

__________ - ___________
__________ - ___________

The one between Beastie Boys & Jack Johnson is Mika - Life in Cartoon Motion

sycho
Aug 28, 2007, 10:20 PM
OFMGBBQ = oh my freaking god...barbecue?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=omgwtfbbq

zub3qin
Aug 28, 2007, 10:21 PM

__________ - ___________
__________ - ___________

Mika- Life in Cartoon Motion

Maybe the Albums are a hint... like the first letter spells something. Apple should do that sometime. Or embed a clue in a screensaver or an OS update or something.

redrabbit
Aug 28, 2007, 10:21 PM
Have you tried moving the main iTunes window to the other monitor and then choosing full screen? Just a thought.

yes, it doesnt matter what monitor itunes is on, if i full screen it, it blacks out the other one, regardless...which is stupid in my opinion

Aranince
Aug 28, 2007, 10:22 PM
See.. i'm confused, because so many people are doubtful about the new iPod having Wi-Fi.

Would ANYBODY buy it over the iPhone? It's completely ludicrous to think that there will be no iPod model that has Wi-Fi.

I'm done.

I don't think it would have wifi...mostly because i don't know what exacly one would use it for. If you want internet and gps and what not...get the iPhone.

Hecklerdanny
Aug 28, 2007, 10:24 PM

I'm done.

You make some VERY good points...I hope you're right. (I hate to say it but i still don't think that we'll see a wifi iPod)

So then Apple will be faced with the consumer like me, who phsyically CAN'T own an iPhone due to service area and previous contracts, and who WON'T buy an iPod if it doesn't have wifi because I already have a video iPod. I'm not paying another 400 bucks to be able to watch movies on a screen 1/6 bigger than the screen that I watch them on now...So I won't buy either one. Not an iPhone OR a new iPod, if that's the case.

But at the end of the day, Apple has always been great with unleashing that one thing that nobody saw coming, that "WOW, gotta have it" product that takes everyone by suprise...I'm sure this event will be no different.

redrabbit
Aug 28, 2007, 10:24 PM
I don't think it would have wifi...mostly because i don't know what exacly one would use it for. If you want internet and gps and what not...get the iPhone.

120 gigs of music transferred over wifi? thanks but no thanks, ill pass

also, didnt jobs trash the zune having wifi?

zap2
Aug 28, 2007, 10:25 PM
I decided to Google "beatles beat goes on" and the first hit I get takes you to a site with an interesting quote:

"Spring is here and Leeds play Chelsea tomorrow and Ringo and John
and George and Paul are alive and well and full of hope.
The world is still spinning and so are we and so are you.
When the spinning stops — that'll be the time to worry, not before.
Until then, the Beatles are alive and well and the beat goes on, the beat goes on."
— Final Beatles press release, April 10, 1970

I think that confirms that the Beatles will be on iTunes soon. I love the Beatles, but I am keeping my fingers crossed for the bigger announcement of the multi-touch iPod.

:eek::eek:

But ya, there coming!(i hope!)

onionperson654
Aug 28, 2007, 10:26 PM
1.) Costco is a great place to buy an ipod (if you are, or know, a costco member). A friend bought a 5.0g 30gig ipod, and when part of it broke (doesn’t matter where you but it for that to happen), he returned it and they not only replaced it with a 5.5g version, but GAVE HIM $50 back because the price had dropped for the 5.5g version.

2.) The Beatles. I’m just porting this one over from unsungsong on macworld http://www.macworld.com/forums/u****reads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=newsthread&Number=529982&page=0&view=collapsed
He/She notes that the BEAT falls alphabetically between the Beastie Boys and Brother Johnson (2 later). That is also where the beatles would fall.

3.) As zub3gin notes, they could add WI-FI as an additional feature. While this would contradict former apple policies of having many similar models, it WOULD be in line with their more important policy: profit. Just like by having a $500 iphone makes the iphone seem cheaper, yet 95% of early iphone sales were 8gb version which made $75 profit on $25 of flash memory, they could do the same. Iphone changed Apple, and this change could be the biggest ipod change yet, so predictions at this point are difficult.'

4.) Congrats to our friends from across the pond for the itunes update. We’re hoping that we’ll get something British (the Beatles) in return.

Apple, what about giving us an aluminum ipod to fit the new imacs? Plastic is... dull.

rbroady
Aug 28, 2007, 10:27 PM
those wifi recievers are so damn small too, they can squeeze it in there no problem...please, wifi:)

then hopefully njtransit gets equipped with wifi on there trains and im livin'

...already plenty of hot spots in the city

Don Bagles
Aug 28, 2007, 10:29 PM

also, didnt jobs trash the zune having wifi?

Jobs also said that he's not interested in video on the iPod, 6 months before the first video iPod was released.

You make some VERY good points...I hope you're right. (I hate to say it but i still don't think that we'll see a wifi iPod)

So then Apple will be faced with the consumer like me, who phsyically CAN'T own an iPhone due to service area and previous contracts, and who WON'T buy an iPod if it doesn't have wifi because I already have a video iPod. I'm not paying another 400 bucks to be able to watch movies on a screen 1/6 bigger than the screen that I watch them on now...So I won't buy either one. Not an iPhone OR a new iPod, if that's the case.

But at the end of the day, Apple has always been great with unleashing that one thing that nobody saw coming, that "WOW, gotta have it" product that takes everyone by suprise...I'm sure this event will be no different.

1/6 bigger screen? How do you figure?

zub3qin
Aug 28, 2007, 10:31 PM

Not lately they haven't. Many were dissapointed with the new iMacs. How many thousands of posts on here predicted all sorts of things from touch interface, touchpads, new breakthru design, etc? All we got was a silver finish and a skinny keyboard...

And with the Leopard showcase... lots of disappointment. The "One more thing"? It was Safari for PCs. Snooze. Whatever happened to that?

And iLife/iWork '08? While I like them, lots of complaints on the dumbing down of iMovie. Not sure what the unexpected WOW was.

Lately the only WOW's apple has given us are "Wow... that was it?"
I hope this event isn't more of the same.

JesterJJZ
Aug 28, 2007, 10:33 PM
We need Cinema Displays with more inputs. DVI, HDMI, Component, S-video, Composite.

A Pittarelli
Aug 28, 2007, 10:35 PM
all right! they better update the imac video cards, the mac pros, flying holographic ipods, and release iphone nano 2 or im selling my apple stock and ivesting in dell!

drake
Aug 28, 2007, 10:35 PM
No chance of a new or updated Macbook eh?

Mgkwho
Aug 28, 2007, 10:36 PM
Yeah, not going to happen next week...Def new MBPs around Leopard, though.

-=|Mgkwho

zap2
Aug 28, 2007, 10:37 PM
We need Cinema Displays with more inputs. DVI, HDMI, Component, S-video, Composite.

I'd sure put coverflow of music on the invite if I was redo "Pro" products

jonessodarally
Aug 28, 2007, 10:38 PM
Hey, sorry to ruin the mood here, but..

someone over at AppleInsider just brought up a really good point.

If they are using that "The Beat Goes On." line in reference to The Beatles last press release... what if the Beatles catalogue - a long-time debated subject for Apple, Inc. - is Steve Jobs going away present, as part of HIS last hurrah with Apple. The rumors have been going around that he might be stepping down soon, and lately he's seemed to have a little less energy at the events...

I hate to think about it, but it does kinda make some sense. :(

Hope it ain't so!:apple::apple:

Eduardo1971
Aug 28, 2007, 10:39 PM

If they are using that "The Beat Goes On." line in reference to The Beatles last press release... what if the Beatles catalogue - a long-time debated subject for Apple, Inc. - is Steve Jobs going away present, as part of HIS last hurrah with Apple. The rumors have been going around that he might be stepping down soon, and lately he's seemed to have a little less energy at the events...

Man that would really make things interesting!!!

rbroady
Aug 28, 2007, 10:40 PM

haha yea right

OrangeCuse44
Aug 28, 2007, 10:41 PM

I'll give it to ya, good point.

BiikeMike
Aug 28, 2007, 10:43 PM
I don't know why everyone JO's on good old Stevie. He's just the guy in charge. He really does not have the best stage presence or face for :apple:, so if he steps down, is it really that bad?

and PS, Whatever the New iPod is, I'm getting it! It is 90% sure to be widescreen, and I NEED TO REPLACE MY STOLEN ONE!

zub3qin
Aug 28, 2007, 10:44 PM

Jobs won't ever ever let go of Apple... Until he is forced out. Which won't happen now that Apple is at the most profitable point in its history.

BTW
Aug 28, 2007, 10:46 PM
Ok, I'm stretching it, but a possible indication of full screen, multitouch iPods?

I'm hoping that's true. It would also be neat, since they'd have OSX on them, if a mini-dock was sold with it that has all the ports necessary to hook up a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. That would be the ultimate mobile and desktop computing experience. Bring it on! :D

lodenmuse
Aug 28, 2007, 10:48 PM
Of course I expect new iPods, but is it interesting that the invitation illustration uses the current 5.5G iPod?

<inserts anticlimactic Apple Keynote daydream>

"Thank you all for coming today, we think our customers are gonna love this--Today the Beatles are on iTunes!--Oh, and one more thing... iPhone socks!"

:eek:

iToaster
Aug 28, 2007, 10:49 PM
I say multitouch iPods with wifi and high capacities ('cmon wifi, MBP is kinda big... iPhone is expensive...). Perhaps 160 Gb, it's been long enough and the iPods need a significant update. I don't think we'll get much about Macs here, it's an iPod event... Apple TV maybe. But I'll get it, though I'll have to put off that camcorder I was going to buy :):(. Just finished watching a movie on my 5 gen and it was just a LITTLE small. Multitouch iPods on tuesday...

Oh, and...
Of course I expect new iPods, but is it interesting that the invitation illustration uses the current 5.5G iPod?

The 5.5 gen iPod in the add is so they don't give it away ;)

jonessodarally
Aug 28, 2007, 10:51 PM
I don't know why everyone JO's on good old Stevie. He's just the guy in charge. He really does not have the best stage presence or face for :apple:, so if he steps down, is it really that bad?

honestly?
hmm..

maybe you never heard about this: http://www.applegazette.com/mac/flashback-macworld-1997-full-video/

^^"Just the guy in charge" is pretty much the only reason you aren't on some Windows rumor site right now. Just sayin' :)

BiikeMike
Aug 28, 2007, 10:56 PM
honestly?
hmm..

maybe you never heard about this: http://www.applegazette.com/mac/flashback-macworld-1997-full-video/

^^"Just the guy in charge" is pretty much the only reason you aren't on some Windows rumor site right now. Just sayin' :)

I know, I know, and I like good old Stevie. I have seen that, and yeah, "he" did bring the company back, but, he did have help ya know ;)

Anyway, not to hijack the thread, BRING ON THE iPODS!

P.S., This is what the Alphabet would like like with out Q and R

iAlan
Aug 28, 2007, 11:06 PM
SPOILER ALERT

Under the tagline 'The Beat Goes On' Apple will be releasing new drums and percussion JamPacks for Garageband...

Just kidding...

I am hoping for a 'true' iPod with video capabilities - and some of the mock-ups in this thread look quite good.

I do not think it will have any WiFi capabilities, that will stay with the iPhone for a while I think. If it is 'full screen' then the basic touch technologies of hte iPhone will be included (and yes Coverflow!) and I am sure there will be a virtual click wheel as the default - one of the key success factors of the original iPod I think.

Let's hope it is available on the day of announcement (next day for me given the time difference)

I think I might be buying whatever Apple releases....

Don Bagles
Aug 28, 2007, 11:07 PM
http://www.bleacheatingfreaks.com/makeacountdown/?id=306072

lazyrighteye
Aug 28, 2007, 11:11 PM

Hmmm... The Beastie Boys' new album is pictured immediately to the left of the center 'album.' What could possibly come next, alphabetically?

The Beatles maybe?

:rolleyes:

That 'confirmed,' how could new iPods come out with the school promo still in full effect?

My wife just purchased a black MacBook last week and has an unopened 4GB silver nano sitting here. IF... new nanos/iPods are announced Sept. 5, could she exchange her factory-sealed nano from something new(er)?

Anyone know Apple's policy on such a scenario?

tennismanclay
Aug 28, 2007, 11:12 PM
You like the word "IF"?

haha i was bored

jouster
Aug 28, 2007, 11:13 PM
Exactly what first popped into my head, you'll also notice that a lot of McCartney and Lennon is already up, and guess who wrote (a good chunk of) the Beatles catalog?

Doesn't matter who wrote it. Who owns it is what's important.

Hecklerdanny
Aug 28, 2007, 11:13 PM
Not lately they haven't. Many were dissapointed with the new iMacs. How many thousands of posts on here predicted all sorts of things from touch interface, touchpads, new breakthru design, etc? All we got was a silver finish and a skinny keyboard...

And with the Leopard showcase... lots of disappointment. The "One more thing"? It was Safari for PCs. Snooze. Whatever happened to that?

And iLife/iWork '08? While I like them, lots of complaints on the dumbing down of iMovie. Not sure what the unexpected WOW was.

Lately the only WOW's apple has given us are "Wow... that was it?"
I hope this event isn't more of the same.

Haha good point. I guess the last big WOW factor for me was the full internet on the iPhone....Man that's just cool. Aside from that, You're right, I haven't really been blown over by anything that Apple has done with the last few "big events."

But this IS the iPod we're talking about! The product that almost everyone has in one form or another! (Shuffle, Nano, Video)...Time will tell.

My personal prediction: a full screen touch iPod with photos, etc. iPod and photos like the iPhone, but NO wifi. (I want it, just don't think we'll see it.)

drake
Aug 28, 2007, 11:24 PM
I'm confused. The Beat goes On is a Sonny and Cher tune, not Beatles. BTW, if SJ's is likely to announce his retirement at this thing, you should be shorting Apple stock because it will tank on such an announcement. Don't you think?

jouster
Aug 28, 2007, 11:29 PM
I'm confused. The Beat goes On is a Sonny and Cher tune, not Beatles. BTW, if SJ's is likely to announce his retirement at this thing, you should be shorting Apple stock because it will tank on such an announcement. Don't you think?

The reference is to a press release from 1970 describing the Beatles' split.

SactoGuy18
Aug 28, 2007, 11:31 PM
I still contend that Apple will NOT offer WiFi on their 6G video iPod for these reasons:

1) It will use up too much battery life when the Wi-Fi circuitry is activated.

2) It will make the iPod very vulnerable to hacker attack through a Wi-Fi network.

3) If Apple wants people to buy a Wi-Fi enabled device, they will steer them towards the iPhone instead.

Adokimus
Aug 28, 2007, 11:31 PM
....if people aren't satisfied with the new iPod offerings, they could always resort to (dare I say?) this: http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9767104-1.html?tag=cnetfd.mt

Don Bagles
Aug 28, 2007, 11:36 PM
....if people aren't satisfied with the new iPod offerings, they could always resort to (dare I say?) this: http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9767104-1.html?tag=cnetfd.mt

*barf*.

Seriously, i've always wondered. All these other companies know that their devices are hideous. Why don't they do something about it, and make their devices look nice? Does it take that much intelligence to do that???

macfan881
Aug 28, 2007, 11:50 PM

well if you watched apples video confrence there is a lock button on the iphone that helps it from making it not being able to use it while its not in use plus the ipods have always had these so that wont be a problem:D

nemaslov
Aug 28, 2007, 11:54 PM
A clue to you all..the Walrus was Paul.. Actually it was John. Probably just another:mad: Paul is dead clue.

ezekielrage_99
Aug 28, 2007, 11:57 PM
I still contend that Apple will NOT offer WiFi on their 6G video iPod for these reasons:

1) It will use up too much battery life when the Wi-Fi circuitry is activated.

2) It will make the iPod very vulnerable to hacker attack through a Wi-Fi network.

3) If Apple wants people to buy a Wi-Fi enabled device, they will steer them towards the iPhone instead.

Yeah I tend to agree, I doubt very much if Apple add WIFI to an iPod, I think it's more if an iPhone thing.

agentkow
Aug 29, 2007, 12:07 AM
I, for one, am looking forward to the end of the presentation, when Steve invites Keane, The Flaming Lips, The Beastie Boys, Mika and Jack Johnson onto the stage for one awesome performance.

(I don't recognize that last one...)

Nemisis
Aug 29, 2007, 12:28 AM
This announcement makes me REALLY glad I did not buy a 5.5G iPod two weeks ago...I was sooooo close to doing it cause I wasn't sure if the rumors were true. But, I waited, and it (hopefully) paid off.

I am hoping for a touchscreen iPod. I would love to have wifi simply cause I cannot afford the iPhone and it's bills...I'm a college student! Besides, AT&T blows in my hometown, and iPhones cannot connect at my college...Now, if the iPhone's wifi can't do it, I doubt the iPod's possible wifi will be able to either...but oh well.

If the iPod is not what I am expecting...I may have to go for the Archos 605...records TV straight to your PMP...big screen...I hope Apple doesn't dissapoint.

Spikeanator6982
Aug 29, 2007, 01:02 AM
dont forget..the..MAC PRO>>PLEASE STEVE>>GIVE ME AND MY FELLOW WAITERS a NEW FANCY DANCY MAC PRO

im really sry bout the caps..but i had to

beaker26
Aug 29, 2007, 01:44 AM
I use cover flow all the time in iTunes. I just took the time to have each one of my album have their cover up, and when I add new music all I have to do is add the cover. It's nice to be able to glance and see what I'm listening to by the picture. I also love album art, it's one of the main reasons why I continue to buy actual CD's, just to be able to have the art. If Apple does come out with a new iPod that is iPhone minus a few things, I'll get it for sure. Hopefully they won't have that stupid headphone jack though.

daneoni
Aug 29, 2007, 03:48 AM

I actually like the YP-P2 and would not hesitate to get it if the price was right

aswitcher
Aug 29, 2007, 05:00 AM
Someone got a count down widget...time cant go fast enough

Evangelion
Aug 29, 2007, 05:07 AM

How often do you re-sync everything on your iPod? I don't know about you, but I did one initial sync, that moved my collection over, and after that I have only done incremental updates (few megs occasionally). Hell, I could see myself using Bluetooth for those incremental syncs just fine!

iShak
Aug 29, 2007, 05:09 AM

not so sure about the colour, but its looks like a good device, definitely beats nano (if the price is right) widescreen, touch-screen, and 35 hours of battery life (audio) .. and design ain't half bad!

and by the way, please correct the spelling of 'Gandhi' in your sig (that's capital G and 'h' comes after 'd', ghandi in Hindi is not something you wanna call that man, unless you meant to spell it that way (not recommended)

t0mat0
Aug 29, 2007, 06:15 AM
Any word between this date for Apple and the Seagate announcement on the same day?

Roy Hobbs
Aug 29, 2007, 06:51 AM
well if you watched apples video confrence there is a lock button on the iphone that helps it from making it not being able to use it while its not in use plus the ipods have always had these so that wont be a problem:D

THe poster wasn't talking about accidental button pushes while in a pocket. The poster doesnt want to have to take the iPod out of the pocket in order to use the functions of the iPod.

It is very hand to just reach in the pocket and change songs, etc...

rbroady
Aug 29, 2007, 07:01 AM
sry to bust you guys balls but none of the beatles members have rights to the beatles songs.

having lennon and mccarthy on there doesnt mean much

but i think theres stil a chance

Evangelion
Aug 29, 2007, 07:04 AM
sry to bust you guys balls but none of the beatles members have rights to the beatles songs.

Yep they do. What Michael Jackson owns is the rights to re-record those songs (cover-versions etc.). But the original songs are owned by the Beatles.

rbroady
Aug 29, 2007, 07:06 AM
Yep they do. What Michael Jackson owns is the rights to re-record those songs (cover-versions etc.). But the original songs are owned by the Beatles.

well then i take that back:)

beatles on itunes next wednesday

id care if i didnt have all there albums already:rolleyes:

Evangelion
Aug 29, 2007, 07:07 AM

another link (http://www.dapreview.net/news.php?extend.4055). You know, that's not that bad to be honest. And it apparently enables the user to share music through several bluetooth-headphones (up to three). so instead of "squirting", they just pair their BT-headphones with the device, and listen.

Piarco
Aug 29, 2007, 07:37 AM
dont forget..the..MAC PRO>>PLEASE STEVE>>GIVE ME AND MY FELLOW WAITERS a NEW FANCY DANCY MAC PRO

im really sry bout the caps..but i had to

No chance. These special events are always iPod/iTunes etc specific. You'll have to wait a while longer I'm afraid. You're not alone there though - I've recently decided to go Mac Pro.

JGowan
Aug 29, 2007, 08:05 AM
...or, if we’re really lucky, go wider (for true 16:9, although that seems like a longshot (I must admit, I checked the resolution on the picture that was posted with the announcement).That means absolutely nothing. It was either some sort of scanned postcard received in the mail (unlikely) or it was some sort of email graphic which does not correlate to anything.

In the graphics world, you take your design and then have to modify its size all the time depending on the media you're dealing with... a poster, a 6x9 mailer, a post card, ads, web... all different sizes but with the same graphics. To think that Apple somehow just did an iPod screenshot and put it out for their announcement is ... well... wrong. They would never do it.

I think it's safe to keep your/our hopes/dreams alive from now until Sep 5.

....if people aren't satisfied with the new iPod offerings, they could always resort to (dare I say?) this: [u]LINK[u/]Agreed. It's amazing how people love to complain about Apple and their products. It seems that they would be better off to go out and find a better product and contribute positive things to the message boards that support that other company.

Maybe I'm Amazed that there are still so many digital music players that are continuously put out by the competition. For all of the complainers, there's those other guys. Or eBay... get an older version from one of us crazies who are looking to upgrade.

rockstarjoe
Aug 29, 2007, 08:30 AM
well then i take that back:)

beatles on itunes next wednesday

id care if i didnt have all there albums already:rolleyes:

I am excited because the Beatles on iTunes means they will finally be releasing the remastered versions of all of their albums. They have been working on this for a few years now, and it should be great to hear!!

felixkunze
Aug 29, 2007, 08:55 AM
The real question is - what are the album covers used in the invite?

I've got (left to right)
1. Keane - Under the Iron Sea
2. The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
3. Beastie Boys - *not sure of album title*
4. Mika - Life in Cartoon Motion
5. Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams
*no idea on last one*

And the "Bea..." that's visible on the Beastie Boys cover is a clue to Beatles on iTunes. Surely!

OK probably not and really doesn't matter what the album covers are apart from the fact that they are colorful! But hell everyone's just talking about iPods, thought I'd throw something else into the works.

:p :p :p :p

TheSpecialist
Aug 29, 2007, 09:49 AM
Good news though I really wan't a never iTunes version, maybe iTunes 8 now? They could introduce say... The back covers of the albums, or the intakes. 5 september is the date of the new PSP Slim & Lite is released in Euopre and I'm in the market for that, so if this iPod isn't worth it i'm just getting a PSP with a 8GB memory stick. Cmon Apple, surprise me!

Whiskerdreams
Aug 29, 2007, 10:40 AM
ew.. transfering data like that would be bad for it.. probably cut the life of it in half.

What would be even better is if it is based on OSX and has Time Machine on it so you can backup to a network attached storage and back itself up.

mozmac
Aug 29, 2007, 10:46 AM
I'm just coming into the convo right now and don't have time to read through everyone's posts. Has anyone pointed out that there is a Beatles album cover in the cover flow image? At least, that's what it looks like to me. They totally have to announce that next week, even though I won't be buying it. In all honesty, I couldn't care less about the Beatles coming to iTunes, but I know that it will be great for iTunes and many people want it, so go ahead and bring it on.

i0Nic
Aug 29, 2007, 10:52 AM
The schedule for the keynote:

Part 1: Welcome
Part 2: iTunes+iPod business
Part 3: New iPods, whole line is revamped
Part 4: iPod mini
Part 5: iPod nano, iPod shuffle
Part 6: iPod touch
Part 7: Apple TV new feature
Part 8: iPhone new feature
Part 9: Ultra-light Macbook Pro
Part 10: Ultra-light wifi iPod pro
Part 11: Newton Mach 2
One More thing!: iCar
Wait, One more thing!: Special Guest - Reanimated corpse of John Lennon, introducing Beatles on iTunes

End

stompy
Aug 29, 2007, 11:02 AM
The schedule for the keynote:

Part 1: Welcome
Part 2: iTunes+iPod business
Part 3: New iPods, whole line is revamped
Part 4: iPod mini
Part 5: iPod nano, iPod shuffle
Part 6: iPod touch
Part 7: Apple TV new feature
Part 8: iPhone new feature
Part 9: Ultra-light Macbook Pro
Part 10: Ultra-light wifi iPod pro
Part 11: Newton Mach 2
One More thing!: iCar
Wait, One more thing!: Special Guest - Reanimated corpse of John Lennon, introducing Beatles on iTunes

End
LOL, can't wait!

"A crowd of people stood and stared
They’d seen his face before
Nobody was really sure"