Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
how do you do this? I'm copying stuff right out of illustrator 10 and trying to paste it in the get info window and it keeps on giving me a white background

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
ok i made the icon file via the icon builder in the dev tools
how do make the folder use the icon now?

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
btw-

Were you exporting it as a .jpg? Jpeg files don't support transparency, but .gif files do. You could try that next time.

-Pete

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
I think this should work. Copy the icon that you made to the clipboard.

Select the folder or file that you wish to change the icon of.

Hit (open-apple)-I to get the info of the file or folder.

Select the icon in the upper-left hand corner of the info pane.

Paste the icon.

There ya go!

-Pete

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
yes i did that! thats how you used to do it in OS9

but it keeps on giving me white backgrounds instead of transparency!

I've tried creating an icns file using the dev tool thingy and transfering that file's data into the (hidden) icon file in the folder via BBEdit but no worky

I've seen a lot of people with fancy icons on their stuff here. howd you do it? or has nobody tried creating original icons here....?

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I use Iconographer: http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=11842&db=mac

To get transparency, crank your settings in Illustrator so that all solid colours are black, and all shadowy areas are fading between black and white.

Paste your Icon into Iconoggrapher, then paste your mask in. You may want to do this several times at different sizes if you want your icon to look good at all sizes. I just made an action (in Photoshop) that resized my icon and it's mask to the right sizes.

Choppaface

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2002
SFBA
kewl thanks man :D :D

I can't believe that you have to use a 3rd party app to make icons work he he

if only I know what character that was after the name "Icon"....is it a double space or something?

*looks it up in hexedit*

ah its a null...no wonder

how does one type a null on the keyboard?

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Sorry, I don't think I made myself clear. Iconographer is what I use to make icons. Then you can just cut and paste them in the OS.

It's not the OS that is giving your icons a white background. It's doing it because you're not going about making icons the right way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.