Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Serves the bastards right. Im so sick of MS swiping everyone's good ideas without giving them credit. In my opinion, swipe away, but you MUST give credit by buying the technology.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Every once in a while I try giving them benefit of the doubt, and then something like this pops up. I swear, I cannot even begin to imagine how much more they have gotten away with. This is one of the many reasons I was more than happy to make the switch to Apple and never regretted it from day one.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Originally posted by crenz
*sigh* Another case of questionable software patents enforced...

I'm not disputing your statement, but what , in your opinion, exactly is "questionable" about the patents thhat were enforced?

Regards,
Gus

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Microsoft have nothing to worry about.

When they appeal, the courts will overturn this decision and MS will get off scott-free and be free to continue to rip off another company.

It always happens...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Maybe this time Microsoft will have to pay. At some point their good fortune is bound to change.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Originally posted by agreenster
Serves the bastards right. Im so sick of MS swiping everyone's good ideas without giving them credit. In my opinion, swipe away, but you MUST give credit by buying the technology.

Like Apple ripping off Watson and not paying for it?

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by e-coli
Like Apple ripping off Watson and not paying for it?

-e-coli

Only if there was a patent infringed upon. Without that, the creators of Watson don't have a legal leg - regardless of who was the first to write the idea.

I hope that Jonas Salling has applied for patents on his Salling Clicker Product.

Simple abstract for the claim of patent: "Use of a mobile computing, communication, or other personal digital devise to control the actions of a personal computer - not limited to "desktop", "laptop", or "notebook" definitions through the transmission of short range radio frequency such as but not limited to "BlueTooth", or IEEE 802.11 protocols."

That should nail it down for the future when MS tried to rip him off for the Windows world - and would preven skirting infringement via circumvension with WiFi or "G".

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by dabirdwell
Ashcroft will take a break from busting pot-using cancer patients long enough to squash this.

Damn dying cancer patients!

:(

I can't even believe they are going after them, so sad.

But really if this company owned the abality to 'plug in' an applet wouldn't this affect every main stream browser... ever?

:confused:

VIREBEL661

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2003
Originally posted by wdlove
Maybe this time Microsoft will have to pay. At some point their good fortune is bound to change.

Even so, this is really nothing to a company with as much $ in the bank as m$....

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by MrMacman
But really if this company owned the abality to 'plug in' an applet wouldn't this affect every main stream browser... ever?

-MrMacman

Yes, absolutely. Unless they are licensees of the technology - which is how the system works (I think NCSA was - therefore Mosaic and Netscape)

MS lost because they literally stole the tech - not license, not even recognition.

-VIREBEL661

It's not the dollar amount - well, maybe a little, $521m does hit even MS - it's the cracks in the armor. Every case MS loses, sets a precedence for the next.

MacViolinist

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2001
Texas
Originally posted by irmongoose
What's pissing me off even more is that the jury only gave Eolas half of what they asked for...

irmongoose

Keep in mind that when you are dealing with a jury, you are dealing with the dullest knives in the drawer: people so dumb they can't get out of jury duty.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by MacViolinist
Keep in mind that when you are dealing with a jury, you are dealing with the dullest knives in the drawer: people so dumb they can't get out of jury duty.

-MacViolinist

Well, I'll give them this: They're smarter than some folks at the DOJ. Some can only roll over, play dead, and "arf".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.