PDA

View Full Version : would both drive doors open?

ump3
Aug 12, 2003, 05:25 AM
I've got a G4 quiksilver, if I installed another CD/DVD drive into the box what would happen when I pressed the eject button? would both doors/drives open?

thanks

benixau
Aug 12, 2003, 08:09 AM
if you got it in (is it possible? thought it was MDDs only ...) you press Eject for your first drive and option-Eject for your second. It is ok - alot of people use the Eject.menu (search your boot HD for it) menu extra from Apple though.

ump3
Aug 12, 2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by benixau
if you got it in (is it possible? thought it was MDDs only ...) you press Eject for your first drive and option-Eject for your second. It is ok - alot of people use the Eject.menu (search your boot HD for it) menu extra from Apple though.

what is MDD?

how do I enable the Eject.menu, I found it on my HD. its just a folder by the look of it.

thanks

TEG
Aug 12, 2003, 09:02 AM
I suggest using the Eject Menu for multiple drives. Also, are you going to be able to have a dropping door so that the drive looks well at works.

TEG

patrick0brien
Aug 12, 2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by ump3
what is MDD?

how do I enable the Eject.menu, I found it on my HD. its just a folder by the look of it.

thanks

-ump3

MDD stands for "Mirrored Drive Door" and is the last of the G4's - they had bays for two optical drives.

To enable eject.menu, double click it. You should then see the eject symbol to the left of the clock in the menu bar.

ump3
Aug 12, 2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-ump3

MDD stands for "Mirrored Drive Door" and is the last of the G4's - they had bays for two optical drives.

To enable eject.menu, double click it. You should then see the eject symbol to the left of the clock in the menu bar.

I see...

I have the previous G4 to the MDD, the one with the matt grey front panel (and 2 CD/DVD drive bays).

I've enabled the Eject.menu by double clicking, but how do I get rid of it? I haven't got the second drive yet. Also why does Eject.menu look like a folder? is it an app?

thanks

patrick0brien
Aug 12, 2003, 09:59 AM
I've enabled the Eject.menu by double clicking, but how do I get rid of it? I haven't got the second drive yet. Also why does Eject.menu look like a folder? is it an app?

thanks

-ump3

Cmd-Click-Drag it off the menu - it'll disappear in a puff. You can rearrange your menu extras using Cmd-Click-Drag the same way.

Good question on why it looks like a folder - probably good as a generic icon.

bobindashadows
Aug 12, 2003, 10:01 AM
I see...

I have the previous G4 to the MDD, the one with the matt grey front panel (and 2 CD/DVD drive bays).

thanks

THat's kind of weird, I'm looking at mine now, and I don't see another bay. I guess you could get one into the zip drive bay, but that would take some handiwork.

THe reason it looks like a folder is this:
There are things on OS X called bundles. These are essentially folders with extentions, which act depending on their extention.

That's the short version... the reason that folder works as an eject menu is because it has that .menu extention. When you double click on it, the system says "ok, it's a menu extention" and then expects certain files to be inside which dictate how the menu works. So, if you wanted, if you took off the .menu extention, it would act like a normal folder! Conversely, if you copy the contents of the .menu file into a regular folder, then give it a .menu extention, then it has just become the same menu program. Crazy, huh? If you want to see the files inside some of these bundles, or packages, right click (control-click) on the icon, and go to "show package contents", and you'll see the files inside of it.

Other instances of these packages:
applications built with project builder (Carbon and Cocoa apps built with pbuilder)
menu applications
konfabulator widgets (www.konfabulator.com for details, before you ask what it does)
other stuff

ump3
Aug 12, 2003, 11:09 AM
how do I get rid of the menu? will it go after a restart?

thanks

patrick0brien
Aug 12, 2003, 12:00 PM
how do I get rid of the menu? will it go after a restart?

thanks

-ump3

Cmd-Click-Drag it off the menu onto the desktop.

zarathustra
Aug 12, 2003, 01:10 PM
As someone else said, you cannot install a second drive in a Quickslver. The second opening was for a ZIP drive. To be able to have a second drive you have to hack away on the inside of the enclosure, and you won't have the plastic door, like on the upper CD drive. It would be a hole and you could see the actual drive behind it. AFAIK.

ump3
Aug 13, 2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by zarathustra
As someone else said, you cannot install a second drive in a Quickslver.

You'll probably have gathered I hadn't opened the second door on my G4 before (I've even still got the clear tape holding the door shut from the factory), I just presumed it was an empty CD drive bay! :eek:

its a Zip drive bay then? nice! do people still use those? (did they a year and a bit ago when I bought my G4?)

thanks anyway.

patrick0brien
Aug 13, 2003, 12:15 PM
You'll probably have gathered I hadn't opened the second door on my G4 before (I've even still got the clear tape holding the door shut from the factory), I just presumed it was an empty CD drive bay! :eek:

its a Zip drive bay then? nice! do people still use those? (did they a year and a bit ago when I bought my G4?)

thanks anyway.

-ump3

The Quicksilver was the last G4 to have a bay with a ZIP drive in mind. ZIP pretty much vanished overnight when CDR's hit critical mass. 1.5 years ago, ZIPs were still fairly common, but with the MDD's last summer - they're gone.

Don't bother with the bay - save your pennies.