PDA

View Full Version : Apple to Launch Ringtone Service?

sblasl
Aug 31, 2007, 10:41 AM
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/08/31/apple_to_launch_ringtone_service_for_iphone_users.html

Revenues from the sale of ringtones in the U.S. topped $600 million in 2006.

And you wondered why we didn't have ringtones initially...

scaredpoet
Aug 31, 2007, 10:50 AM
Actually, I still wonder. What took them so long to roll it out?

netdog
Aug 31, 2007, 10:55 AM
And what about coverting CDs we own into ringtones? I just dump MP3s onto my phone and it works fine. Is this against the law?

pdpfilms
Aug 31, 2007, 11:02 AM
And what about coverting CDs we own into ringtones? I just dump MP3s onto my phone and it works fine. Is this against the law?

Wouldn't that be a trip. Though I've gotta say, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the music industry made it illegal for some obscure reason. Good 'ole corporate activity.:)

MacRumors
Aug 31, 2007, 11:05 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

NYPost reports (http://www.nypost.com/seven/08312007/business/apple__labels_pitch_tones.htm) that Apple will be launching a ringtone service for iPhone users next week.
The service - expected to be unveiled when Apple announces its new lineup of iPods - would allow users to turn almost any song sold through iTunes into a ringtone for an additional fee. The exact price was unclear.

The service is said to allow users to convert songs they have previously purchased to be turned into a ringtone, with user-controlled ability to choose which portion of the song to use. Beyond that, Apple is said to plan on offering traditional ringtones as well.

Much of this reiterates (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/29/no-beatles-but-custom-ringtones/) a rumor earlier this week also suggesting that Apple will introduce ringtone support during the September 5th media event.

The rumors are also consistent with a previous report (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/27/itunes-7-3-with-custom-ringtones/) about Apple's plans to sell custom ringtones.

In the meanwhile, 3rd party developers have stepped up to fill this custom ringtone demand. Ambrosia Software (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/) has released their ringtone tool (iToner) (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/itoner/) for the Mac. Of interest, Ambrosia's iToner is said to install ringtones "the proper way, without any hacks" which should be resilient to future iPhone updates. Windows users have had the option of using iPhoneRingToneMaker (http://www.efksoft.com/products/iphoneringtonemaker/index.htm).

While both tools are shareware, they do not have a per-ringtone fee that is expected with Apple's service.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/31/apple-to-launch-ringtone-service/)

kddpop
Aug 31, 2007, 11:10 AM
i realize that there are mitigating reasons for this, such as the labels not wanting to be without the ringtone revenue.

but i think this is pretty lame. i have an old sony er. flip phone and i can make any mp3 a ringtone. "best phone in the world." hmmmm

that being said, i hardly ever have my phone on anything but silent/vibrate.

~kyle

pdpfilms
Aug 31, 2007, 11:11 AM
That's absolutely absurd. Charging to edit a song (that you've already purchased, mind you) down to 30 seconds, and stick it in a folder.

No, Apple. This is where consumers draw the line for customer rights.

edesignuk
Aug 31, 2007, 11:13 AM
The fact that you are going to have to pay to do such a simple thing as set your own ring tone is utterly absurd.*

*Unless you hack it or use 3rd party software. Still, the fact you have to do this is madness.

ibwb
Aug 31, 2007, 11:15 AM
Please keep in mind that this is part of Apple's licensing agreement with the labels, as you can see if you read the iTunes Music Store Terms of Service. There has been a clause for years stating that the songs are not licensed for use as a ringtone. This doesn't have anything to do with Apple's revenue.

Craiger
Aug 31, 2007, 11:15 AM
If Apple thinks they are going to charge me to use MY music that I have ripped from MY 20 dollar cd's they are nuts!! I will start using all of the different hacks before I pay!!!:mad:

ejbenjamin
Aug 31, 2007, 11:16 AM
Agreed with the above posters-- this is pathetic, nickel-and-dime behavior. I don't care if it's because of Apple or the labels, this is a feature that should have been available from day one at no extra cost whatsoever.

kddpop
Aug 31, 2007, 11:16 AM
Please keep in mind that this is part of Apple's licensing agreement with the labels, as you can see if you read the iTunes Music Store Terms of Service. There has been a clause for years stating that the songs are not licensed for use as a ringtone. This doesn't have anything to do with Apple's revenue.

right. its about the multi billion dollar per year ringtone revenue that the record labels have gotten quite used to.

homeboy
Aug 31, 2007, 11:18 AM
Hopefully the iPhone will be heavily hacked in the coming weeks allowing users to use song files as ringtones.

Argon4k
Aug 31, 2007, 11:19 AM
The fact that you are going to have to pay to do such a simple thing as set your own ring tone is utterly absurd.*

*Unless you hack it or use 3rd party software. Still, the fact you have to do this is madness.When I had my 8525, I would simply go into iTunes, created a 30 second clip from an existing song that I had purchased from iTunes, and put it on the 8525. It worked fine. If Apple would release Finder for the iPhone or some sort of file application tool, we could probably create our own ring tones.

edesignuk
Aug 31, 2007, 11:20 AM
Hopefully the iPhone will be heavily hacked in the coming weeks allowing users to use song files as ringtones.You already can, there is even a link in the OP to some new software (shareware) to help you. The point is this is a very, very basic thing. You should have been able to do it simply and for free from day one.

zombitronic
Aug 31, 2007, 11:22 AM
Let's wait to see Apple's official announcement on this one. Even with a small fee, the price still beats most other ringtone services out there, plus you also have the full song.

I personally think song ringtones are obnoxious and for little girls.

cloudnine
Aug 31, 2007, 11:23 AM
Okay, I'm one of those fanatic apple fanboys that will standby apple throughout most anything. People argue with me about the iphone and why doesn't it have this, why doesn't it have that, it doesn't do this well enough, etc, etc... and I usually stick up for apple's decisions regardless...

but this... as petty as it may be... irritates the hell out of me. why are we paying for a ringtone when we've already bought the entire song in the first place?

I'm hoping that I'm just misunderstanding the post, and maybe apple will make it so that we can create a ringtone out of a song we've already downloaded for free... but if we don't have the song, we have the pay to create a ringtone out of it. If not, there's no way I'm paying a dollar for a ringtone I'll probably get tired of after a week or so...

ntay
Aug 31, 2007, 11:26 AM
Of course, this is provided that Apple does indeed charge for each ringtone. Don't get mad at Apple until the 5th, people ;)

I don't care, because I only use vibrate anyway, I hate custom ringtones.

Dagless
Aug 31, 2007, 11:30 AM
And here's my RAZR with bundled software to make any AIFF/MP3/AAC/M4A into a ringtone (aka, compatible MP3 sat on the internal drive) complete with trimming and selecting which part of a song you want.

Apple, don't break the iPhone :o

kddpop
Aug 31, 2007, 11:32 AM
Let's wait to see Apple's official announcement on this one. Even with a small fee, the price still beats most other ringtone services out there, plus you also have the full song.

I personally think song ringtones are obnoxious and for little girls.

it may be better than what's out there but it is still not cool.

and i agree...im not a fan of music ringtones.

~kyle

plumbingandtech
Aug 31, 2007, 11:34 AM
Darn.

It's been nice not hearing Brittney Spears ringtones coming out of an iPhone.....

The General
Aug 31, 2007, 11:36 AM
I want a ringtone of my friend Claire screaming BOSTON BAKED BEANS!!

Tell me, where can I find this on CD or on the iTunes Music Store? :rolleyes:

I'll stick with my custom ringtones I've had for two months now. ;)

rmurphy07
Aug 31, 2007, 11:36 AM
The service - expected to be unveiled when Apple announces its new lineup of iPods

Because I would really like ringtones for my iPod...

chr1s60
Aug 31, 2007, 11:41 AM
Well it is good to see that either way there is going to be a way to have ringtones and not have to worry about losing them in updates. I personally plan on hearing what Apple has to say and depending on price, I will likely try the Ambrosia software. It sounds like the Apple one is going to only allow you to use song you bought from iTunes, but about 80% of my music is imported off of cd's.

I do see a lot of people complaining about having to buy a ringtone. To these people I say that if you don't wanna pay then use the hacking method and don't complain if you lose your tones after a software update. As time goes on, I am sure more and more methods of getting ringtones for free will come out, but until then spending a couple bucks isn't that big of a deal... I mean you did fork over at least $500 for the phone alone.

salvatorereda
Aug 31, 2007, 11:41 AM
My 99$ cheap nokia candy bar cell phone can play any mp3 i upload to it, and make it a ring-tone for free. I think the iphone has a long way to go as cool as it might be. No flash (flickr slide shows), No video capture, & you cant plug a normal pair of head phones with out a adapter.

Lets wait till iphone #2 comes out, and let the early adapters weed out all these problems on there dollar! Its really silly to have to pay for a ring tone, while you can be creative and make your own! Ring tones are about showing off right! If that is true then make your own and dont pay for any ever again.

"why do people stand in long lines for 48 hours waiting for the new iphone to come out, but they wont stand outside protesting this awful war we are in. As a country our priorities are not in straight"

chr1s60
Aug 31, 2007, 11:44 AM
a buck?

ibwb
Aug 31, 2007, 11:46 AM
My 99$ cheap nokia candy bar cell phone can play any mp3 i upload to it, and make it a ring-tone for free.

And that's irrelevant; Nokia doesn't run a music store and isn't bound by contracts to record labels like Apple is. It's unfortunate that Apple's position prevents them from releasing a free iPhone music service, but we're barking up the wrong tree to criticize Apple. Write your congressman and demand that the federal government strenghten the right of first sale.

chr1s60
Aug 31, 2007, 11:47 AM
Agreed with the above posters-- this is pathetic, nickel-and-dime behavior. I don't care if it's because of Apple or the labels, this is a feature that should have been available from day one at no extra cost whatsoever.

Hahaha, Are you serious? This is the cell phone industry you are talking about, do you really think they are gonna pass on the chance to make a buck?

Shanesan
Aug 31, 2007, 11:53 AM
Hahaha, Are you serious? This is the cell phone industry you are talking about, do you really think they are gonna pass on the chance to make a buck?

Yes, actually. If Apple made the rules of the arrangement, which most likely they have and they HAVE agreed to, putting in a clause that says they are not welcome to make songs sold over iTunes as Ringtones is, in one way, shape or form, their fault. Period.

JPyre
Aug 31, 2007, 11:57 AM
If any of you have been scared of hacking your phone, don't fear. I have used the GUI installer app and installed apps right on my phone with no problems or errors. It's automatic and easy. One of the apps thats availible in the list is SendSong, it can move anything in your library to ringtones directory, or email the song to someone directly from the phone.

Install Installer (http://iphone.nullriver.com:16080/beta/) - OSX universal
This app will give you a list of other apps to install.

Install Launcher - "spaces" like virtual desktop, used for displaying all the 3rd party apps in one place.

Install Community Sources then SendSong, MobileTerminal, OpenBSD, and NES and ApolloIM and others if you want.

Very easy, you won't brick your phone, I promise you.

Best part is, Installer.app acts like software update and will easily install updates for apps when availible.

Buschmaster
Aug 31, 2007, 12:01 PM
While I agree that paying to edit a song into a ringtone is lame some of you guys are getting kinda nuts...

I mean, if they introduce this service at a cost wouldn't that be better than not introducing it at all?

And maybe for 50 cents or whatever we can go download pre-edited ringtones. If they're cheaper than songs that's a plus.

However, with this service if you have to download a song then pay to edit it, that stinks.

rkelez
Aug 31, 2007, 12:12 PM
My 99$ cheap nokia candy bar cell phone can play any mp3 i upload to it, and make it a ring-tone for free. I think the iphone has a long way to go as cool as it might be. No flash (flickr slide shows), No video capture, & you cant plug a normal pair of head phones with out a adapter.

Lets wait till iphone #2 comes out, and let the early adapters weed out all these problems on there dollar! Its really silly to have to pay for a ring tone, while you can be creative and make your own! Ring tones are about showing off right! If that is true then make your own and dont pay for any ever again.

"why do people stand in long lines for 48 hours waiting for the new iphone to come out, but they wont stand outside protesting this awful war we are in. As a country our priorities are not in straight"

A lot of people here are knocking paying for a ringtone at all when you have to admit we're not the average cell user. The general cell owner doesn't know how to rip, convert, or edit their music for use on a cell phone. It is a profitable industry and that's why. Sure, we're angry but we're not the one's that will matter. I would be willing to pay 99 cents for a ringtone if it's a song I don't own. I think the usual price is about $3 on cingular. So 99 cents probably wouldn't seem unreasonable and i'm sure they would sell well on itunes.
I think they need to offer a + option though using your song history as a reference where something you've purchased has a ringtone button or whatever pizazz they want to put on that and it would be maybe 10 cents? You would have a window pop up and you could edit out your 30 seconds, hit done and it would download and i'm sure be in some submenu under the iphone option. From then on you have rights to that song as a ringtone and could go back on the store and re edit for free. I'd be cool with that. Hell do you change your ringtone so often that 50 cents a month would break the bank? Hell maybe they could do a tonepack, make 4 a month for a dollar? Whatever the pricing may be if it's how i described i'll pay up. I mean, I paid 600 for a phone, I can't be complaining about a few bucks when I'm supposed to look like a baller.

rjgonzales
Aug 31, 2007, 12:14 PM
No Thanks.

Euge
Aug 31, 2007, 12:22 PM
If Apple thinks they are going to charge me to use MY music that I have ripped from MY 20 dollar cd's they are nuts!! I will start using all of the different hacks before I pay!!!:mad:

Although I don't like the idea of them charging to make a ringtone from music already in your library, people also have to realize that you don't own the music.

It is not YOUR music that you ripped. You own media (the cd) which gives you certain rights to do certain things with the artist's music.

Just because you bought the cd doesn't mean you can do anything you want with the music that's on it (such as copying it and giving it to all your friends).

iomar
Aug 31, 2007, 12:25 PM
Hopefully the iPhone will be heavily hacked in the coming weeks allowing users to use song files as ringtones.

I am using any song as ringtone right now it is great and was very easy to install!!

iomar
Aug 31, 2007, 12:25 PM

I am using any song as ringtone right now it is great and was very easy to install!!

Craiger
Aug 31, 2007, 12:29 PM
Although I don't like the idea of them charging to make a ringtone from music already in your library, people also have to realize that you don't own the music.

It is not YOUR music that you ripped. You own media (the cd) which gives you certain rights to do certain things with the artist's music.

Just because you bought the cd doesn't mean you can do anything you want with the music that's on it (such as copying it and giving it to all your friends).

Thank you for quoting me and making it look like i copy and give the music i buy to my friends. I never said that.

Euge
Aug 31, 2007, 12:32 PM
Thank you for quoting me and making it look like i copy and give the music i buy to my friends. I never said that.

That's not what I was implying. I was just using that as an example.

I quoted you because of the use of "MY music" which it really isn't.

Analog Kid
Aug 31, 2007, 01:09 PM
Lets wait till iphone #2 comes out, and let the early adapters weed out all these problems on there dollar!

And then complain that they "just paid 99 cents two weeks ago to buy a ring tone and now Apple made it free"...
If this is true, then the original story might be read to only apply to songs purchased on iTMS, leaving open the possibility that other Quicktime files may not require the additional payment.

Personally I think being able to use Garageband compositions as ring tones would be pretty slick.

gceo
Aug 31, 2007, 01:17 PM
ALL I WANT IS A TEXT MESSAGE ALERT THAT I CAN HEAR!

yes. I was shouting. Do you hear me Steve? No? Well that's ok, I can't hear my iphone either. F'n'A. How tough is it?

onelegtwoshoes
Aug 31, 2007, 01:30 PM
Im sure the fee will just be applied to songs with a current ACC code on them. If you import your own cd's, I dont think you will get hit with the charge.

Also if it turns out I'm wrong...im sure we will have a very easy "back door" option in iTunes thanks to the great hackers out there.

szark
Aug 31, 2007, 01:30 PM
Wouldn't that be a trip. Though I've gotta say, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the music industry made it illegal for some obscure reason. Good 'ole corporate activity.:)

The music industry's position is that ringtones are a public performance. When you buy a CD, you buy a license for private performance only. So you need to pay additional licensing fees to use the same music for a public performance.

iPhoneyboy
Aug 31, 2007, 01:39 PM
It will be interesting to see if this has any effect on Efiko Software's iPhoneRingToneMaker (which works absolutely great)... well see what happens.

aafuss1
Aug 31, 2007, 02:03 PM
Babya Logic (http://www.winsite.com/bin/Info?27500000037574)is a freeware tool for Windows to make ringtones. Just import the files into iTunes, and convert from there.

gceo
Aug 31, 2007, 02:24 PM
The music industry's position is that ringtones are a public performance. When you buy a CD, you buy a license for private performance only. So you need to pay additional licensing fees to use the same music for a public performance.

So since I buy a ringtone for Public performance, does that mean I can amplify it and hold a concert?

onelegtwoshoes
Aug 31, 2007, 02:43 PM
So since I buy a ringtone for Public performance, does that mean I can amplify it and hold a concert?

Or does it mean I have to pay additional fees to be able to blast my cd player in my car, because people outside can hear it....?

Loge
Aug 31, 2007, 02:56 PM

Just because it may be the music industry's position doesn't mean it's anyone elses. People have subjected others in public to the music playing on their portable players via leaky headphones for years without paying additional licence fees for a public performance.

Charging to use it as a ring tone when you've already paid for a recording of the song is a rip off, pure and simple.

mudflap
Aug 31, 2007, 03:12 PM
It is lame of Apple to charge for ringtone conversion.

Almost as lame as using a song as a ringtone in the firstplace.

Is there anything more annoying than being forced to listen to someone else's awful music every time their phone rings?

m

offwidafairies
Aug 31, 2007, 03:33 PM

yeah me too! i dont own an iphone (im an aussie) but i certainly hope i wouldnt have to buy a tune on itunes just to use it as a ringtone!

Island Dog
Aug 31, 2007, 04:14 PM
I'm going to wait for the "official" announcement, but so far I'm not too happy with this news.

twoodcc
Aug 31, 2007, 04:18 PM
i'm not surprised about this. i hope Apple profits from this, but i won't be buying any ringtones

bluedevil14
Aug 31, 2007, 04:32 PM
looks like im holding off on buying my iphone until the 5th

arkmannj
Aug 31, 2007, 05:47 PM
What about songs I make in Garageband or Sound Track Pro, recordings of friends playing songs they wrote, etc. ?

I hope there will be a way to use these.

Chupa Chupa
Aug 31, 2007, 06:09 PM
Another thumbs down for charging for something you own. Moreover, a ring tone is what 3-9secs. That's fair use territory anyway. Seriously why do we have to be nickel and dimed at every turn. This is just going to encourage hacking even more.

irun5k
Aug 31, 2007, 06:09 PM
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/08/31/apple_to_launch_ringtone_service_for_iphone_users.html

Revenues from the sale of ringtones in the U.S. topped $600 million in 2006.

And they say money doesn't grow on trees...

irun5k
Aug 31, 2007, 06:20 PM

Well, nobody says that the media had to come from a CD. There are loads of singers and musicians in this world who create their own content.

What if I play electric guitar and use Garage Band to record my own ring tone? It is hard to believe that I owe money to ANYONE, in that case, to put the clip that I own the rights to on a phone that I own.

The minority doesn't seem to matter anymore though. Nobody cares about the right of a person to record their own ringtone, just like it was okay to shut down file sharing networks because *some* of the material was copyrighted. I believe some countries tax blank CDs just because you MIGHT decide to copy music illegally?

Why not just throw everyone in jail now because we MIGHT break the law at some point!

szark
Aug 31, 2007, 06:25 PM
Just because it may be the music industry's position doesn't mean it's anyone elses.

I agree, and I certainly don't share their position. I'm just attempting to explain why the music industry wants providers to charge higher prices for ringtones.

The minority doesn't seem to matter anymore though. Nobody cares about the right of a person to record their own ringtone...

I'm in total agreement with you on this point. We should definitely have the right to create, record, and upload our own ringtones if we want to.

gri
Aug 31, 2007, 08:53 PM
Another thumbs down for charging for something you own. Moreover, a ring tone is what 3-9secs. That's fair use territory anyway. Seriously why do we have to be nickel and dimed at every turn. This is just going to encourage hacking even more.

I just downloaded the trial for iToner and iPhoneRingtoneMaker. Used the latter to create the ringtone (cropung the file with fading, in parallels) and the first to transfer the tones to the iPhone without hacking. Works like a charm. Lets see, if Apple wants me to pay for my inported and legally bought CDs than I will pay 15 bucks to Ambrosia and 10 backs for the other...:rolleyes:

ChuckG
Aug 31, 2007, 10:29 PM

Exactly. Apple's deal with AT&T has really softened things for a phone EVERYONE thought would stick it to the telecoms for $5 songs and $3 ringtones. You'd think that bypassing the over-the-air downloads would let you use existing mp3s as ringtones... but nooooh, Apple had to deal with both AT&T and the labels, which are forcing Steve Jobs into this so they can keep their other revenues.:mad:

The bottom line is, Apple likes to appear they swing both ways, for their benefit. It's becoming pretty easy to make a free and cool ringtone (iToner), DVD rips (Handbrake) and a few apps (iFuntastic).

If there's ever something good to come out of it, it's that we're potentially looking at the most hacked gadget of all time. Now, if someone can figure out how let it make free calls...:rolleyes:

BWhaler
Aug 31, 2007, 10:31 PM
Maybe I am old, or maybe I am unhip, but I don't get custom ring tones.

I just think it's tacky to have some band blare when one's phone rings. But again, maybe I am just an old, uncool dude.

wnurse
Aug 31, 2007, 11:29 PM
Well it is good to see that either way there is going to be a way to have ringtones and not have to worry about losing them in updates. I personally plan on hearing what Apple has to say and depending on price, I will likely try the Ambrosia software. It sounds like the Apple one is going to only allow you to use song you bought from iTunes, but about 80% of my music is imported off of cd's.

I do see a lot of people complaining about having to buy a ringtone. To these people I say that if you don't wanna pay then use the hacking method and don't complain if you lose your tones after a software update. As time goes on, I am sure more and more methods of getting ringtones for free will come out, but until then spending a couple bucks isn't that big of a deal... I mean you did fork over at least $500 for the phone alone.

Except Mac users have been pretty consistent criticizing verizon for charging extra for ringtones.. It would be hypocrytical to now agree it's a good thing to charge to turn a song into a ringtone after you have bought the song. Know your history.. this has never been cool with apple fans

i'm not surprised about this. i hope Apple profits from this, but i won't be buying any ringtones

Why you hope apple profits from this?. You also hope verizon profits from selling ringtones at $2 a pop?. Isn't this the same thing.. $1 per song, $1 to turn it into a ringtone.. how is this different?.

Darkroom
Sep 1, 2007, 05:42 AM
i hope apple charges $100/ringtone, eventhough i'm sure they will not... however, i'm pleased as punch that they will charge for this service... it should reduce the amount of annoying ringtones in public...

CWallace
Sep 1, 2007, 10:41 AM
It will be interesting to see if this has any effect on Efiko Software's iPhoneRingToneMaker (which works absolutely great)... well see what happens.

Yes it is a great app. Sure, I paid $10 for it, but I made a lot more then 10 ringtones with it, so the cost per ringtone is a good deal better then what Apple is offering (and I begrudge Apple not one wit for their offering).

I just bought iToner, as well, since I am trying to stay within OS-X (I bought Efko's product when I was on Windows).

JeffDM
Sep 1, 2007, 12:30 PM

Is this the same music industry that seems to think that ripping a CD is the same as stealing it? They can have an opinion, but that doesn't mean it's legally valid. It might be, but it might not be.

dthmtlgod
Sep 1, 2007, 12:46 PM
it may be better than what's out there but it is still not cool.

and i agree...im not a fan of music ringtones.

~kyle

I also really don't give a hoot about ringtones. Ringtones are for teenage boys and girls in my opinion.

manu chao
Sep 1, 2007, 02:16 PM
I believe some countries tax blank CDs just because you MIGHT decide to copy music illegally?

I would say most European countries tax sales of blank CDs but I am only know for sure that it is the case in France, Germany and Switzerland. And there are also taxes on empty tapes, VCRs, copy machines and portable music players (but I don't think on the paper that goes into the copy machines).

By taxing blank CDs, these countries implicitly allow you burn CDs with music ripped from CDs. By the same token you are allowed to make copies of pages of a book, eg, in a library, because the copyright holder gets compensated for by the tax on the copy machine.

manu chao
Sep 1, 2007, 02:19 PM
Does anybody know if any music from labels other than EMI, eg, independent labels, is available in the iTunes Plus format?

ChuckG
Sep 1, 2007, 03:56 PM
Does anybody know if any music from labels other than EMI, eg, independent labels, is available in the iTunes Plus format?

Nope. Only EMI and its subsidiaries are part of the iTunes Plus thingy.

I wouldn't completely rule out an announcement on Tuesday though. The whole hidden ringtone graphic people found on June 29 makes one wonder iTunes will receive a minor upgrade to support this. Ringtones, meh.

aafuss1
Sep 2, 2007, 02:34 PM
What about songs I make in Garageband or Sound Track Pro, recordings of friends playing songs they wrote, etc. ?

I hope there will be a way to use these.

Me too-I hope Apple will let us use music that we made ourselves as ringtones.

TurboSC
Sep 2, 2007, 04:07 PM
I'll probably pay for my first ringtone but once the hacking community steps in we should be ok