PDA

View Full Version : Cases for New iPod Nano?

MacRumors
Sep 1, 2007, 12:14 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

iLounge points (http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/uniea-unveils-u-suit-case-for-unannounced-ipod/11325) to new cases from Uniea (http://www.uniea.com/) which appear to be a case for the rumored iPod Nano.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/09/01/usuitipod_300.jpg

The case, described as the U-Suit Hard Protective Leather Case for New iPod, features a soft leather exterior, hard plastic interior with scratch-resistant inner lining, and a front hole sized for a roughly 2.3-inch screen and iPod nano-sized Click Wheel.

Photos of the upcoming iPod Nano were leaked (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/22/ipod-nano-photos/) and later pulled at the request of Apple, and are expected to make their debut at Apple's September 5th media event.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/01/cases-for-new-ipod-nano/)

queshy
Sep 1, 2007, 12:16 AM
noooooo...I hope they don't actually release the phatPod.

christall109
Sep 1, 2007, 12:17 AM
i agree.. ... the case will definately start foliding around the edges of the click wheel...looks official.

Please...please ipod touch with wifi sept 5!!! its either that or iphone.

cwc123188
Sep 1, 2007, 12:18 AM
oh no:confused:
I still can't believe such an ugly product would come out of apple's award-winning design team.:eek:

Freg3000
Sep 1, 2007, 12:23 AM
I'm hoping that this is a new flash video iPod that lies inbetween the nano and the full sized "touch" iPod. Then we would have shuffle, nano, "this thing", and the "touch".

Apple, don't kill the nano. :(

sikkinixx
Sep 1, 2007, 12:23 AM
much like the western world, it looks like iPod is gonna grow fatter :p

oh well, touch screen iPod come on baby.

Eduardo1971
Sep 1, 2007, 12:24 AM
Oh my gosh. it seems like the rumours are really true?!

Well Apple design was bound to come up with a turkey eventually right?!:(:o

skwoytek
Sep 1, 2007, 12:24 AM
I'm pretty sure Apple wants video on all iPods with a screen. The old nano would have been too small.

I like the new design and I'm sure it feels great in the hand.

PumaGuy
Sep 1, 2007, 12:27 AM
It would really suck if Apple pulled the fAtno because of dislike for it and they needed to dispose of all the U-Suit's :p

superspiffy
Sep 1, 2007, 12:29 AM
I still can't believe such an ugly product would come out of apple's award-winning design team.:eek:

I guess this is what it means to "think different." Throw away tried and true designs for something new even if you have to break the laws of design itself like *cough cough* the golden ratio.

musiclover137
Sep 1, 2007, 12:29 AM
its kind of weird that it says 'made for new ipod'. makes me think they will disocontinue the nano, making the phatpod the new ipod. making the ipod touch a completely new product line.

BiikeMike
Sep 1, 2007, 12:33 AM
I've always wondered how the accessory people know the exact dimensions of new products. Especially ones that are kept under such tight wraps like the Apple stuff. :confused:

thespazz
Sep 1, 2007, 12:42 AM
Maybe, just maybe, this was to drive traffic to their site?

It's VERY easy to create an image in photoshop and market it.

icetyu
Sep 1, 2007, 12:47 AM
OMG, the phat nano is actually coming. I hope Apple doesn't discontinue the old nano immediately. It would funny to see them side by side.

Derekuda
Sep 1, 2007, 12:48 AM
How does apples new products keep getting leaked. I bet steve is starting to get pretty angry.

sjsharks27
Sep 1, 2007, 12:49 AM
Yup This confirms it well at least for the Nano...

VOTE Sharks LOGO at this site SHOW some Bay Area Pride same place as Apple HQ ;)

http://nhllogos.blogspot.com/2007/08/poll-sharks-vs-canucks.html

propynyl
Sep 1, 2007, 12:51 AM
The new iPod nano will NOT be the star of the show on Sept 5th. The iPod Touch will steal ALL the thunder, and Steve Jobs will play down the new nano, like he did with the mac mini update.

yoyo5280
Sep 1, 2007, 12:52 AM
I'm hoping that this is a new flash video iPod that lies inbetween the nano and the full sized "touch" iPod. Then we would have shuffle, nano, "this thing", and the "touch".

Apple, don't kill the nano. :(

I am hoping for shuffle, nano, fat and touch aswell.

Bobdude161
Sep 1, 2007, 12:53 AM
Wow. I really can't believe this iPod nano is going to be real.........

gonnabuyamac
Sep 1, 2007, 12:59 AM
i'm still not entirely convinced they'll ditch the current nano body style. i think the fat-nano is really a new model - hopefully the rebirth of the mini.

if it is the new nano, i'm not really sure what people are complaining about. most people i hear really want the ipod touch. and if they do an ipod touch, then apple is going to want an ipod that has a look that is similar to the current 5.5g.

i personally don't care much about a touch screen, unless it adds some significant features. i have a laptop i'd much rather watch movies on than on a small screen, and i control my ipod more by feel (i.e. through my pants pocket) than i actually look at it.

so, if they release the fat-pod, i will probably be in line to buy it. my current nano is full, and i've been wanting a larger capacity. 16 gigs would be plenty for me - hopefully that's the route they go.

rfunk
Sep 1, 2007, 01:00 AM
Hei hei,

I really think it's gonna look great, and tiny, not fat at all!
Just take the present version of the Nano and cut i in two pieces. Smaller, still with screen and the wheel. I just think it's great for the ones who look for a small high capacity audio player.

No?

AeronPrometheus
Sep 1, 2007, 01:02 AM
It would suck for this company if Apple decides not to release the alleged 'Pod.

twoodcc
Sep 1, 2007, 01:03 AM
I'm still not so sure this is real. But even if it is, I wonder what they have instore for nike+

ezekielrage_99
Sep 1, 2007, 01:03 AM

My thoughts as well.... It's fugly, I thought Apple would design something better than that, but then it has been released yet so I might be all incorrect (hopefully).

Maybe Apple is due for a bad design??

lukashaaswasidk
Sep 1, 2007, 01:05 AM
this was found on the fashion label Balenciaga's web site. looks quite fishy to me. here's a small screenshot...

http://i5.tinypic.com/4yguwr6.jpg (http://i18.tinypic.com/4y7kgvr.jpg)
click for full screenshot (http://i18.tinypic.com/4y7kgvr.jpg)

or check for yourself
http://www.balenciaga.com
COLLECTIONS>MEN>SMALL LEATHER GOODS>3

Curtis72
Sep 1, 2007, 01:10 AM
Fake fake fake fake...

Since when as a iPod accessory maker released an accessory before the actual iPod the accessory is for? I dont' know of any...

comingaround
Sep 1, 2007, 01:11 AM
this was found on the fashion label Balenciaga's web site. looks quite fishy to me. here's a small screenshot...

http://i5.tinypic.com/4yguwr6.jpg (http://i18.tinypic.com/4y7kgvr.jpg)
click for full screenshot (http://i18.tinypic.com/4y7kgvr.jpg)

or check for yourself
http://www.balenciaga.com
COLLECTIONS>MEN>SMALL LEATHER GOODS>3

that's the current ipod.

PumaGuy
Sep 1, 2007, 01:12 AM
You know , for some reason this post ticked me off.

to each his own.

My fun for the day, sorry if I annoyed ye':(

Mgkwho
Sep 1, 2007, 01:14 AM
The nano can't get fat- no one would run with it! Unless they're hoping to just go with the shuffle; but twoodc is right: what will happen to nike+?

I bet it's just a fake released by Apple that they came up with; they can claim it's their property but it's really just in case a leak happens they can pinpoint the source. Like the iPhone. Maybe? No? We'll see...

-=|Mgkwho

jialuolu
Sep 1, 2007, 01:21 AM
I was under the impression that Apple didn't give third parties the dimensions of a new product or even word of a new product ahead of time? :confused:

Virtualball
Sep 1, 2007, 01:23 AM
I think you are all forgetting that when Apple releases a new iPod, they don't tell anybody about it for accessories. Even if they did break that custom, it would be for Belkin and not some random website. If I create a seat cover for the iCar, does that mean it's real? No.

shadowmoses
Sep 1, 2007, 01:26 AM
Can't wait for these, I always thought they looked pretty darn good.:)

ShadoW

chipchen
Sep 1, 2007, 01:27 AM
I think you are all forgetting that when Apple releases a new iPod, they don't tell anybody about it for accessories. Even if they did break that custom, it would be for Belkin and not some random website. If I create a seat cover for the iCar, does that mean it's real? No.

I agree... only a VERY select few companies are given info on upcoming releases to prepare. Among them, Belkin, inCase, XtremeMac...

(remember, these are all brands that are carried in Apple stores...)

kepe-5
Sep 1, 2007, 01:28 AM
Jeez, doesn't seem so pretty.

wackattack
Sep 1, 2007, 01:29 AM
Does anyone really believe this company knows how the new iPod series will look like? It's just some pictures of their old cases who where stretched. Every iPod rumour draws so much attention that this will be their 15 minutes of fame!

And what's ugly about the new so called iPod nano? it just looks like an iPod! Every iPod that came out always looked nice, so will the new iPod nano if there is a new iPod nano.

lukashaaswasidk
Sep 1, 2007, 01:29 AM
that's the current ipod.

looks a little wide to me

lizard79
Sep 1, 2007, 01:32 AM
I think/ hope this is just the new ipod. ipod nanos will have a different look and there will be some additional ipod-video which is the iphone without the phone (and a harddisk instead).

jackc
Sep 1, 2007, 01:33 AM
Probably fake, but the iFatBastard is all too real.

lizard79
Sep 1, 2007, 01:33 AM
the photo also says "for the new ipod" and not "ipod nano"...
there is hope ;)

comingaround
Sep 1, 2007, 01:37 AM
looks a little wide to me

no. it's as clear as day.

mashinhead
Sep 1, 2007, 01:42 AM
I find it very suspect that these would be made before the ipods release. apple has never given out test products to companies so they can manufacture products in time for a release. i mean even the iphone was announced 6 months before its release and most case manufacturers didn't make theirs (with a few exceptions) until after it had been released. I've never heard of this company. How do you know they didn't just make a case on the basis of these rumors?

Stinger123
Sep 1, 2007, 01:45 AM
But no cases for a high end touch ipod... That's a bad sign..

eiphren@gmail.c
Sep 1, 2007, 01:46 AM
I'm inclined to believe that the so-called cases are a fake. Apple is very obsessed with confidentiality, and if a third party manufacturer spoils the surprise, Apple will come down very hard! Possible ramifications include refusal to carry their product in the Apple Stores and shutting them out of future releases. Doing both of those won't hurt Apple in the least, but it could spell doom for any 3rd party product. Why risk it for a little additional traffic to their site?

If it is true, I know I'm not going to buy anything from Uniea. Let's face it, we all love the wild speculation before an event. It's like Christmas without all of the family bickering, drunken uncles, and general resentment!

eiphren@gmail.c
Sep 1, 2007, 01:48 AM
Hey, has anyone actually been over to the Uniea site? I searched and couldn't find anything like the image that was posted. Curiouser and curiouser...

pinksalmon
Sep 1, 2007, 01:49 AM
looks good, along with the new olors theyre introducing overall i like:)

bdkennedy1
Sep 1, 2007, 01:51 AM
Well, I don't know where that picture came from, but it's not to be found on their web site unless it was removed.

I'm thinking they're fake. And after reading about and seeing all these photos of the Nano, I'm going to decide that they're all fake. Somewhere in an Apple office, employees are laughing their asses off.

nagromme
Sep 1, 2007, 02:01 AM
The current nano is NOT the "one perfect rectangle." The rumored new one, being different is not automatically bad. No rectangle is automatically the most pleasing to all (or most) people.

(And the Golden Ratio in art is a pseudoscience myth throughly debunked in a fascinating book by Mario Livio. I recommend it. I was disappointed to find it's a myth, since it's a cool idea, and we WANT cool ideas to be true. Take heart: there are LOTS of very cool things that ARE true about the Golden Ratio, and that book goes into detail about them. Not that it matters--NEITHER the old nor the new designs use the actual Golden Ratio.)

I like the alleged new nano's proportions just fine. People get themselves worked up over change in ways that are quite interesting to watch :) How soon they forget the cries of "awful, impossible proportions" made about PAST iPod successes.

superspiffy
Sep 1, 2007, 02:02 AM
It would be like this:

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2265743/2/istockphoto_2265743_slim_and_fat_pink_lady.jpg

Hell, they always say "fat" sex is better, so who knows;)

/high fives

Gosh
Sep 1, 2007, 02:25 AM
Not so bad! Just a different shape - you don't call the iMac fat - you say it's thin!

toughboy
Sep 1, 2007, 02:28 AM
I'm pretty sure Apple wants video on all iPods with a screen. The old nano would have been too small.

C'mon people it's so obvious.. Current nano and shuffle stays the same (only may get a storage bump) This 2.3" screen new device replaces the iPod 5Gs and the new iPod Touch is an entire new product line.. :rolleyes:

fastbite
Sep 1, 2007, 02:28 AM
If the tag line for the new iMac is "you can't be too thin or too powerful" I wonder what the tag line for the lard-arse nano will be?

freddiecable
Sep 1, 2007, 02:49 AM
what if it's not replacing the ipod nano but the ipod video? the line-up could be:

shuffle - 2 GB
nano - 16 GB
new ipod video - 32 GB
ipod touch - 120 GB (iphone size - thus harddrive)

sidenote: I had a video iPod - but never used it (2.5") is simply not enough. and there is no reason that apple needs to have video on all ipods!?

Cloudsurfer
Sep 1, 2007, 02:51 AM
Am I the only one who likes the phat iPod nano? It's not that big, but big enough to watch videos on. I'm sure as hell not going to watch tv shows or music clips on the 1,5" screen the nano has today.

Also, I hope it has a little more weight than the current nano. There have been so many near-washing machine accidents because I simply didn't feel the nano inside my pocket.

Chris Bangle
Sep 1, 2007, 03:10 AM
what if it's not replacing the ipod nano but the ipod video? the line-up could be:

shuffle - 2 GB
nano - 16 GB
new ipod video - 32 GB

sidenote: I had a video iPod - but never used it (2.5") is simply not enough. and there is no reason that apple needs to have video on all ipods!?

Thats makes sense.... Sounds right to me

pianojoe
Sep 1, 2007, 03:50 AM
Good gracious!

The mini is back!

Parky
Sep 1, 2007, 04:05 AM
This is a new model - it is NOT a replacement iPod nano!

This is a replacement for the iPod video that will be released alongside the iPod touch. You will then have a choice of a flash based small form factor video iPod or a larger HD based widescreen iPod.

This will allow Apple to up the top end prices of the new touch ipod and still keep the current prices for the new smaller iPod video (even though capacities are smaller).

They did the same when the iPod nano was released. Even now an 8GB iPod nano is the same price as a 30GB iPod video. At first glance that does not make sense does it? Why would you pay the same for an 8GB nano / 30GB video when you get more capacity / video / games etc on the larger model. The simple answer is people like the nano for it's size and design. the same will be the case with the new smaller iPod video.

Ian

Parky
Sep 1, 2007, 04:06 AM
C'mon people it's so obvious.. Current nano and shuffle stays the same (only may get a storage bump) This 2.3" screen new device replaces the iPod 5Gs and the new iPod Touch is an entire new product line.. :rolleyes:

100% correct - well done!

Chris Bangle
Sep 1, 2007, 04:06 AM
I dont think it will be called the Nano... Because the advert just says for the New ipod.

propropro
Sep 1, 2007, 04:12 AM

But that doesn't explain why there is no stock for nanos in almost all shops...

toughboy
Sep 1, 2007, 04:15 AM

Finally! :D Thank you ...

daneoni
Sep 1, 2007, 04:20 AM
If these are the new Nanos then i might as well order one of the current models from Amazon right now cos these look really bad.

winstano
Sep 1, 2007, 04:21 AM
Anyone else notice how all the other products on the Uniea site show the iPod/iPhone in the cases? Something not right about that...

nerdynerdynerdy
Sep 1, 2007, 04:23 AM
It would be like this:

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2265743/2/istockphoto_2265743_slim_and_fat_pink_lady.jpg

You know, for some reason that post made me laugh more than any other I've seen here.

starnox
Sep 1, 2007, 04:31 AM
Here's my iPod nano mockup. I'm not the best at photoshop so forgive me :)

dubhe
Sep 1, 2007, 04:36 AM
I suppose the nano is the mainstream iPod for all the kids of today and therefore it needs to be competitive against other brands of MP3 player most of which have video. These youngsters aren't generally as technically aware as the rest of us so will buy based on quantity of features not quality. Therefore, apple needs to add video to the nano and therefore it needs a bigger screen.

As for me, i've been waiting a long long time for an iPod touch, so bring it on Steve, I'm ready :D

emotion
Sep 1, 2007, 04:52 AM
How do you know they didn't just make a case on the basis of these rumors?

I think this is what's going on here.

However I think the rumours of this shape are true but I'm not sure it will be as ugly in the flesh. I'm thinking nano-thin, slightly wider (to accomodate a video capable screen) and slightly shorter than the current nano.

I think the current nano shape is pretty nice though. I love my 8GB black nano.

aswitcher
Sep 1, 2007, 04:56 AM
Ok, so the leaked Bilbo Nano pics that Apple had taken down and now these cases pretty much confirm 100% its out next week...

But what it suggests to me is that these guys would be also making a cover for a Touch iPod if one is about to come out -> and I wonder if they are and its identifical in form factor to the existing iPhone which is why it hasn't appeared.

propropro
Sep 1, 2007, 04:59 AM
I'm beginning to think there's going to be only one new iPod :(

ImNoSuperMan
Sep 1, 2007, 05:38 AM
I bet Uniea has no clue bout the new iPods. All they`ve done is create a mock up design after seeing the fatpod leaks. They have as much knowledge bout the new ipods as anybody else(`xcept Jobs and his team of course).

Arcus
Sep 1, 2007, 05:46 AM
It would be like this:

Shouldt the larger figured woman here be short as well?

koobcamuk
Sep 1, 2007, 06:09 AM

new imacs anyone?

The old ones were minimalist. These new ones are ok - save the black border.

bogg
Sep 1, 2007, 06:13 AM
Shouldt the larger figured woman here be short as well?

Like this?

http://nyx.bogg.org/files2/5xz7p_istockphoto_2265743_slim_and_fat_pink_lady.jpg

seenew
Sep 1, 2007, 06:19 AM
if this new form factor proves to be true, I'm disgusted. Terrible design. Totally, and utterly unappealing.

UUUUUGGHHH.

Wayfarer
Sep 1, 2007, 06:43 AM

That's way better than the mock ups I've already seen! You earn a cookie! :D

outlandos
Sep 1, 2007, 06:46 AM
its kind of weird that it says 'made for new ipod'. makes me think they will disocontinue the nano, making the phatpod the new ipod. making the ipod touch a completely new product line.

I was thinking the same!

dambro1978
Sep 1, 2007, 06:48 AM
C'mon,
stop saying that the new form factor is ugly and so on.
You've not even seen it.
I'm sure Ive will push design a step ahead.
I really hope for a new 8-16Gb iPod (nano, micro, mini, femto ot whatever) small, stylish, with the new OS leaked a couple of weeks ago. I don't care about watching video on it or showing pictures to friends; cameras lcd screens are big enough.

The only thing that would make me buy the "iPod touch" is if they include Safari and Airport.
BUT my guess is that if it has wireless capability is only with an evolved version of Airtunes, allowing to stream Audio to the Airport Express and maybe use it as a remote controller for iTunes/AppleTV.
That's my modest bet.

Derwood
Sep 1, 2007, 06:56 AM
...I still maintain there would have been the possibility of keeping a similar footprint to the current Nano, perhaps a little wider, and moving to a 16:9 perspective screen which would have sat slap bang in the middle of the device running lengthways, top to bottom. Would have obviously necessitated a user-interface rethink which might have meant ditching the click-wheel but, now that touch-screen has been introduced, it's surely only a matter of time before it disappears completely anyway. I'm no good with Photoshop but I hope you guys understand what I'm getting at. Flip the nano on it's side to watch a vid. No need for a swanky accelerometer. Make it default for all video. Boom.

Much more apple than this squat little eyesore they appear to be on the cusp of releasing.

My tuppence worth,

Derwood

sushi
Sep 1, 2007, 07:07 AM

shuffle - 2 GB
nano - 16 GB
new ipod video - 32 GB
This makes sense.

I doubt Apple will change the form factor of the current Shuffle or Nano. But increasing their memory does make sense.

The current iPod video needs an update. A fat Nano like device with 32GB SSD would be nice.

And then introduce an iPhone like true Video iPod, or touch Pod would be great.

tenneriffe
Sep 1, 2007, 07:13 AM
if I was Apple I would produce a full screen nano (iPhone-esque) slightly wider than todays nano - and have the scroll wheel on the back. We would get use to using the inverted scroll wheel in less than a day. This is actually a genius idea, even if I say so myself :p *Patent Pending*

Oh and chill - that "new ipod" case maker company is also genius! Marketing and advertising for free - you can't beat that; that don't have that case made!

ErikCLDR
Sep 1, 2007, 07:14 AM
I have a feeling the new iPod is going to be reallllllllly uggggggllllllyyyyy assuming these pictures are real.

Bimmi
Sep 1, 2007, 07:18 AM
This is SO obviously the 6G iPod. Everyone's going monkeyf*%& crazy because of one leaked photo with the word "nano" spuriously attached to it. Do we really put that much cachet into unsubstantiated rumors nowadays?

This furor over the proportions just strikes me as the typical "it's different so I hate it" spleen that we've already heard a thousand times before. It's not even remotely as bad as y'all are making it out to be.

I feel for anyone in Steve Jobs' general orbit right now, because he's got to be hugely pissed over all this leakage and general folderol. At least wait until the damn things are announced before you start hatin'.

tenneriffe
Sep 1, 2007, 07:24 AM
This is SO obviously the 6G iPod. Everyone's going monkeyf*%& crazy because of one leaked photo with the word "nano" spuriously attached to it.

This furor over the proportions just strikes me as the typical "it's different so I hate it" spleen that we've already heard a thousand times before. It's not even remotely as bad as y'all are making it out to be.

I'd hate to be in Steve Jobs' orbit right now, because he's got to be hugely pissed over all this leakage and general folderol. At least wait until the damn things are announced before you start hatin'.

Do I notice a hint of southern drawl mixed with your Harvard vocab and impeccable puntuation? I likey - very muchy! A touch-o-class to the Mac Forums! From a fellow long term NOOB :o

ChancyJohn
Sep 1, 2007, 07:41 AM
Or maybe it's a fake released by Apple ... like that fake iPhone in nano form

Sep 1, 2007, 07:44 AM
This is SO obviously the 6G iPod. Everyone's going monkeyf*%& crazy because of one leaked photo with the word "nano" spuriously attached to it. Do we really put that much cachet into unsubstantiated rumors nowadays?

If that's the new top of the line iPod then God help the shareholders come Wednesday.

dal20402
Sep 1, 2007, 08:04 AM

++

I hope this is the new nano. Y'all are forgetting that it will be SHORTER as well as wider... so it won't be bigger overall. (That's why a certain post above with a certain picture was inapposite... funny, but inapposite... :p) The perfect tiny little video device.

lowbb
Sep 1, 2007, 08:15 AM
I think the "new nano" is too wide to put into pockets
so you have to put it right/left-side down:rolleyes:

raptor96
Sep 1, 2007, 08:16 AM
++

I hope this is the new nano. Y'all are forgetting that it will be SHORTER as well as wider... so it won't be bigger overall. (That's why a certain post above with a certain picture was inapposite... funny, but inapposite... :p) The perfect tiny little video device.

Kudos to you that's the first time I've ever had to stop reading a thread and look up a word, 'inapposite' indeed. Quite a word that.

More on topic, I would say that this is the product of some marketing guy who thought he was being very clever by stretching one of their existing designs. And the people yelling that this proves the existence of the 'phatpod' are insane because it's a logical fallacy to assume that. Rumored pictures lead to a CASE mockup and people assume that the presence of a case, which hasn't even been produced means that the 'phatpod' exists? I should go photoshop a case of Uniea's in the shape of a rooster with a clickwheel and see how fast the internet lights up with "roosterpod??? f that! Apple's streak of awesome designs is shot to hell" :rolleyes: etcetera. Sheesh. As stated above the product hasn't even been announced yet. So chill out! :cool:

offwidafairies
Sep 1, 2007, 08:17 AM

that is utterly offensive

Raska
Sep 1, 2007, 08:20 AM

I definitely like that! From looking at the cases, however, it looks like it's going to have rounded edges.

Hell, they always say "fat" sex is better, so who know

Yeah that's pretty out of line.

slffl
Sep 1, 2007, 08:26 AM
Looks great! Can't wait to get my hands on one!

bretm
Sep 1, 2007, 08:31 AM
If that's the new top of the line iPod then God help the shareholders come Wednesday.

I would actually advise buying as much stock as you can afford on Monday. There's good money to be made around Apple announcements.

LoganT
Sep 1, 2007, 08:44 AM
Am I the only one who actually kind of likes it? It's perfect for those people who want to watch videos on the road when they don't have that many videos. Or just see the text of the music bigger.

bshort
Sep 1, 2007, 08:44 AM

shuffle - 2 GB
nano - 16 GB
new ipod video - 32 GB

I think you're basically right, but without the iPod Touch.... yet.

The last time they released new iPods they did it in two steps. First they announced the iPod nano and axed the mini, and then a month later they updated the iPod 4g with the iPod 5g.

I think this new device we're seeing is the replacement for the iPod. The current device has a 2.5 inch screen, and a shorter, squatter, aluminum-skinned replacement (possibly with flash memory) with a 2.3 inch screen seems plausible. If they're not constrained by the size of a 1.8 inch hard drive, then they can make the iPod 6g whatever size they want. They'll make it super slim (like nano-slim), and but a whopper of a battery in it. It'll still be the only iPod to play video.

I bet they'll keep the nano as it is. A bump from a 1.5 inch screen to a 2.3 inch screen seems implausible and it would change what the idea of the nano is. They might bump the storage, but I bet that Steve thinks the nano is absolutely perfect in its current form.

The iPod Touch, if it ever arrives, will be either next month or early next year. I'm sure they want to give the iPhone a full year before releasing anything that directly competes with it, giving anyone on a contract the window to switch over.

-B

bshort
Sep 1, 2007, 08:53 AM
Am I the only one who likes the phat iPod nano? It's not that big, but big enough to watch videos on. I'm sure as hell not going to watch tv shows or music clips on the 1,5" screen the nano has today.

I like the leaked design as well. I don't understand why so many people hate it so much.

-B

bob_the_gorilla
Sep 1, 2007, 08:54 AM
There's no mention of this case on Uniea's site.
Google doesn't throw up a press release or anything - where exactly did this story come from? iLounge don't give a source.
It's a very low-quality image - the images on their website are bigger and clearer. Looks like someone was trying to hide a crappy Photoshop job.
Since when do Apple show their products off to anyone, let alone some unknown case manufacturor.
The original pictures of the nano look utterly fake.
Apple don't release butt-ugly stuff. I'll eat my hat if they release something that looks as bad as those original "photos".

Multimedia
Sep 1, 2007, 08:59 AM
If these new Nanos can play video then they will be worth the new shape. Why is everyone bent out of shape about the new shape? What's wrong with stumpy and a much bigger screen? 2.3" vs. 1.5" in the old non-video playing one is a HUGE improvement - just short of the 2.5" screen in the old 5 & 5.5G Video iPods. This looks like a fantastic improvement if the new Nano can play video. What's the problem? :confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

iSee
Sep 1, 2007, 09:00 AM
We've (well, at least I've) only seen poor quality mockups of the stubbyPod, so hopefully the real McCoy will look a lot better.

Here's a question though: Has watching videos on mobile devices really started to take off? At least to the point where Apple would want to monkey around with the form-factor of their highly successful Nano? Hrm, it doesn't seem likely.

I guess Apple's iPod lineup will be:
1. Keep something like the current Nano (but keep shrinking the size)
2. squatPod in the middle. Video capable. Click-wheel interface. Flash RAM storage. Runs the old iPod OS.
3. Phone-less iPhone at the high-end: about the size of current iPod/iPhone; hard drive based storage; gesture interface/large-screen; OS X.

Not sure if there's room left in the lineup for the shuffle. Ah, why not? Throw the shuffle in there, too.

Multimedia
Sep 1, 2007, 09:05 AM
Not sure if there's room left in the lineup for the shuffle. Ah, why not? Throw the shuffle in there, too.You're kidding right? The Shuffle is the most powerful and important of all iPods. I wear one on my hat's headband 24/7 and always have 14 hours of great music at the ready whenever I go out. Nothing will ever replace the Clip Shuffle except one with more memory. If they introduce a 2GB Shuffle, as long as it's still in the same clip form - which is critical for the way I wear it - and still only $79 I'm there.

d_saum
Sep 1, 2007, 09:13 AM
How come people get bent out of shape because one guy makes a "fat sex is better" joke, but you don't hear a god damn peep when another guy insults a whole region with his "much like the western world, it looks like iPod is gonna grow fatter" comment???

Raska
Sep 1, 2007, 09:17 AM
Good point.

much like the western world, it looks like iPod is gonna grow fatter

That comment was real offensive and an ignorant generalization.

Back on topic, at first I didn't like the look of the new iPod, but it's definitely growing on me. All the same, I'm holding out for the iPod Touch :)

walangij
Sep 1, 2007, 09:22 AM
If these new Nanos can play video then they will be worth the new shape. Why is everyone bent out of shape about the new shape? What's wrong with stumpy and a much bigger screen? 2.3" vs. 1.5" in the old non-video playing one is a HUGE improvement - just short of the 2.5" screen in the old 5 & 5.5G Video iPods. This looks like a fantastic improvement if the new Nano can play video. What's the problem? :confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

Although I am excited about new, more functional nanos, the form factor is just "not up to Apple Design", usually their things are super sleek and ahead of the pack. This one, not so much. It strays into the unattractive crowd. I remember the comments about the ugly Zune "mini" or "stubby" coming out, but sadly if this is true they will look more similar than different. But we'll all adjust ;) and plus, with an iPod touch or whatever the update for the standard iPod will be, we all know which one will create the hype/get all the attention.http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/08/28/nano_150.png
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/04/zune-sequel-rumor.jpg
(Note: these are all mockups so maybe both will change hopefully, who knows)

I would appreciate this stubby factor for exercising though, it looks like it would be for solid and the weight better distributed when on an armband as I jog as compared to the current nano.

Matteh117
Sep 1, 2007, 09:23 AM
Just because they're showing cases doesn't mean they are final, nor even manufactured yet. What about all those iPhone cases that came out before the iPhone? Yeah.

And sorry, but lmao at this fat sex thing. How is that offensive? If anything, it's offending skinny people, right? :/

williedigital
Sep 1, 2007, 09:25 AM
Good point.

Back on topic, at first I didn't like the look of the new iPod, but it's definitely growing on me. All the same, I'm holding out for the iPod Touch :)

Actually, that's entirely accurate. It's the equivalent of saying "Like the rest of the western world, the ipod is going to grow more indebted."

Schtumple
Sep 1, 2007, 09:39 AM
Am I the only person who likes the new nano?

Seriously, people complain the currant nano doesn't have video, so apple put in a bigger screen so you can watch video on it, then people complain, hypocrites.

Anyone who think it looks fat and horrible, go see it in real life when it comes out, then decide, I think it'll perfectly fit in your hand, like the iPod mini.

I hated the new iMacs, but saw one in PC World today and now love the new design....

Grimace
Sep 1, 2007, 09:42 AM
Who says this is for the new NANO? It says new iPod!

Gasp!! What if the new iPod is NOT like the iPhone. Brace yourselves ladies and gents!

Schtumple
Sep 1, 2007, 09:49 AM

Gasp!! What if the new iPod is NOT like the iPhone. Brace yourselves ladies and gents!

I was thinking that too, on that case picture it does say, for new iPod, not for iPod nano, could be a possibility.

mobilehavoc
Sep 1, 2007, 09:59 AM
There will be no iPod Touch that people are talking about (iPhone without phone stuff). Mark my words.

All new iPods (nanos, video, etc) will still have the scroll wheel but run OSX allowing for coverflow, pretty graphics, etc. May also have WiFi for wireless iTunes, etc. but no email, Safari, Google maps or anything close to iPhone.

If Apple releases anything that's close to the iPhone, they'd cannibalize their iPhone sales which makes them the most money (sales and AT&T contract fees)...sadly, they're not stupid enough to do that.

Hate to break it to you guys.

propropro
Sep 1, 2007, 10:03 AM
There will be no iPod Touch that people are talking about (iPhone without phone stuff). Mark my words.

All new iPods (nanos, video, etc) will still have the scroll wheel but run OSX allowing for coverflow, pretty graphics, etc. May also have WiFi for wireless iTunes, etc. but no email, Safari, Google maps or anything close to iPhone.

If Apple releases anything that's close to the iPhone, they'd cannibalize their iPhone sales which makes them the most money (sales and AT&T contract fees)...sadly, they're not stupid enough to do that.

Hate to break it to you guys.

Do you remember iPhone is only sold in ONE country at the moment (and possibly 3 or 4 more at most by this year's end) while iPod is sold in tens of countries?

iJawn108
Sep 1, 2007, 10:04 AM
It would be like this:

I would take the one on the right thanks. ;)

iSee
Sep 1, 2007, 10:07 AM
You're kidding right? The Shuffle is the most powerful and important of all iPods. I wear one on my hat's headband 24/7 and always have 14 hours of great music at the ready whenever I go out. Nothing will ever replace the Clip Shuffle except one with more memory. If they introduce a 2GB Shuffle, as long as it's still in the same clip form - which is critical for the way I wear it - and still only $79 I'm there.

LOL, I'm just speculating about what Apple's thinking :)

Heh, I hope if they ever do kill the shuffle, you aren't in the same room as Jobs when it's announced! ;)

I guess I threw this out there because I generally suspect Apple of being ambivalent about their low-end products: It's good in that they bring people into the Apple fold, but bad in that they might be cannibalizing higher-end, more profitable products.

I hadn't taken into account the clip-on-hat-wearing demographic, though! :D

MattyMac
Sep 1, 2007, 10:08 AM
New iPod rumors always make me smile!

Virgil-TB2
Sep 1, 2007, 10:09 AM
i'm still not entirely convinced they'll ditch the current nano body style. i think the fat-nano is really a new model - hopefully the rebirth of the mini. ...most people i hear really want the ipod touch. ....I am thinking the same more or less. While this iPod might be real, I don't remember anyone having any official designation on it's name. It could as easily be a mini as a nano.

If one makes the (fairly safe at this point) prediction that there will be an iPod touch in a similar form factor to the iPhone, then of course these things will be fairly expensive. They will be top of the line devices for people who want to carry huge amounts of video and music with them. Perhaps the "fatty" iPod is just an iPod video device at a lower price point and less storage. Many folks might want to take the occaisional TV show on the train to work but not be so fascinated as to focus their entire lives around the device.

This makes the new video iPods (both the touch and the fatty), just plain old iPods. i.e. - it makes the entire range video-capable, and provides a full selection of price points. Given that video is "the future" as everyone is saying lately, this makes perfect sense. They will no longer have any iPods that won't be able to play videos on a big enough screen to be practical.

This makes the question of what if anything they will do with the old nano form factor on Wednesday very interesting. Are they going to be the only iPods that don't do video? I mean they kind of could do it now, but the experience will be lame compared to even the fatty. Will the nano join the shuffle as the "audio only" range of iPod devices? The rumours run from the old nano being discontinued, all the way to some kind of cool nano based iPhone.

Personally, I am still hoping against hope for a nanoPhone based on this patent: http://hrmpf.com/wordpress/102/radio-transparent-zirconia-iphone

It would be a way of keeping the form factor but still jazzing it up a bit with the new OS interface we have been seeing in the youtube videos and a basic phone functionality. It would connect to all the old nano gear like the Nike stuff and be a good replacement for all those folks that want an iPod just to store a few gigs of music and be handy and small. The phone in it would just be a bonus.

The main argument against them doing anything with the old nano form factor is that we have heard no rumours of manufacturing at all. Since the event is Wednesday, it seems just as likely that they do nothing with it, as it is that a surprise nanoPhone will arrive.

Hairball
Sep 1, 2007, 10:09 AM
You know , for some reason this post ticked me off.

to each his own.

I actually thought it was entertaining.

Virgil-TB2
Sep 1, 2007, 10:14 AM
Before anyone gets too excited ... I remember when I was buying Pocket PC's every six months and trying to keep up that the people who made the pouches very often made-up cases for products that were not yet released, and in some cases not yet announced.

This could be a situation where the manufacturer of these cases is just producing a mock-up to get their foot in the door early and get some coverage on gadget sites. If it turns out to be a false rumour (the fatty), then nothing is lost. If it turns out to be real then they can ship the same day as the product is released.

TheBobcat
Sep 1, 2007, 10:18 AM
If these iPods are indeed real and are released, I bet that once everyone sees and holds them there will be legions of you people clamoring about how much more functional it is and what a great breakthrough it was.

Wait till you see one for real. What do we have so far? A "spy shot" and an Engadget mockup. Jeez.

JGowan
Sep 1, 2007, 10:18 AM
Let's say this is a REAL graphic showing REAL products from UNIEA. Since we know that Apple doesn't show or disclose information before THEY ANNOUNCE their products, it makes since that UNIEA might take the rumor and run with it. It is not uncommon for people to plan not only their Apple purchase, but also the peripherals they'll need with it. UNIEA (or any other company for that matter) has nothing to lose but a few hours in creating some cases that would fit what is the common RUMOR size.

If it turns out that the rumor is true, they've gotten people interested in their new fat nano case. If it turns out that the rumor is wrong, they've at least gotten people to come to their website. Traffic = free advertisement. Until today, I had never heard of Uniea. I've already gone through their entire website and have seen all of their products.

Unlike some products that take months to design and put together, a simple leather case could be mocked up in no time.

BUT -- I THINK THIS IS A FAKE GRAPHIC and here's why:

(A) Graphic IS NOT on the Uniea.com website.
(B) Graphic is not of the same large size and hi-quality that exists on their site.
(C) As Curtis72, except for the iPhone (which was announced 6 months early), no one sees or knows about products ahead of the actual day of announcement. It's unlikely that some CASE company has the inside scoop on an Apple product.
(D) I don't even believe that Uniea was a part of this fake. WHERE is their logo that is embossed on every other case they have on their site. I zoomed in on these U-Suits and there is not a logo on any of them.

Pull your head out of the sand, mac ostriches, and see that this was just something to generate either traffic or to stir crap up.

freeny
Sep 1, 2007, 10:20 AM
IMO, the Nano will not be getting wider but instead it will be getting shorter. This way it will still fit all the current Nano docks.

You heard it here first;)

~Shard~
Sep 1, 2007, 10:29 AM
It's been said before in the thread, but what if this isn't a case of the nano getting larger, rather the iPod getting smaller? Smaller is a good thing, is it not? Plus, the case ad does not say, "new iPod nano" it says, "new iPod".

What if Apple is simply shrinking the iPod, giving it OS X functionality (coverflow etc.) and throwing in 32 GB flash memory or something along those lines?

Or, perhaps Apple will re-brand the current iPod as the "iPod touch" and the current nano will become just "iPod". I guess we'll see...

bob_the_gorilla
Sep 1, 2007, 10:30 AM
BUT -- I THINK THIS IS A FAKE GRAPHIC and here's why:

(A) Graphic IS NOT on the Uniea.com website.
(B) Graphic is not of the same large size and hi-quality that exists on their site.
(C) As Curtis72, except for the iPhone (which was announced 6 months early), no one sees or knows about products ahead of the actual day of announcement. It's unlikely that some CASE company has the inside scoop on an Apple product.

Thank goodness, someone else with a shred of sanity left. For crying out loud guys, this rumour stinks like hell.

If we get a fat nano, it'll be coincidence. These rumours have more holes than a colander. ;)

mrdaviii
Sep 1, 2007, 10:34 AM
I mentioned this in another thread and I think a few folks here nailed it. This is NOT the new nano. With a 4-model lineup, Apple really serves every corner of the market:

iPod shuffle (2GB) - low-cost, music only, ultimate workout MP3 player
iPod nano (2, 4, 8GB) - for music enthusiasts who don't have many songs
iPod (16, 32GB) (what people are calling the new nano) - for music enthusiasts who want some video capabilities on the go with wi-fi capability
iPod touch (30, 60, 120GB) - for mobile video enthusiasts

I've also still got my fingers crossed for some really slick integration with Apple TV and Leopard via the new wi-fi iPods and iPhone Software 1.1. iTunes Store accessbility via Apple TV, iPhone, iPod touch would be awesome too, along with movie rental streaming service and HD content.

bc008
Sep 1, 2007, 10:34 AM
this thing is actually growing on me.
if i see some other pictures in the keynote and it does video i may be all over it :)

rockthecasbah
Sep 1, 2007, 10:35 AM
I still don't think this is the Nano replacement, I think it is the revision to the iPod Video. It is just too bulky to replace the model that built its market off of being tiny. Then there will hopefully be the flagship touchscreen model, and possibly a new Nano design, or at least spec. upgrades.

floatingspirit
Sep 1, 2007, 10:36 AM
Maybe, just maybe, this was to drive traffic to their site?

It's VERY easy to create an image in photoshop and market it.

Now THERE's an optimist! Good for you buddy:)

gusapple
Sep 1, 2007, 10:41 AM

Yeah, it DEOS say iPod, who says that it's for the iPod Nano!? Gosh, if it is........ I AM GONNA BLOW A GASKET! IF I GOT RID OF MY IPOD FOR THAT????????? YES I MEAN TO YELL! IF THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN, I WILL JUST BUY AN IPHONE.

iJawn108
Sep 1, 2007, 10:46 AM
the new nanos will be 1 nm thick.

Iced Angel
Sep 1, 2007, 10:50 AM
these new Nanos are extremely ugly to me, I like the old ones better... the design is just stupid, and colors
just hope for a touch screen :confused:

gusapple
Sep 1, 2007, 10:52 AM
these new Nanos are extremely ugly to me, I like the old ones better... the design is just stupid, and colors
just hope for a touch screen :confused:

Yeah, I pray for a touch screen......

Project
Sep 1, 2007, 10:55 AM
I think you guys are being fooled by the proportions. The leaked shots look fatter, but they are much much shorter too.

mrkramer
Sep 1, 2007, 11:02 AM
I haven't read through this entire thread so I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but if these are really cases for the Nano, then why does the add say for the new iPod, it doesn't say for the new iPod Nano which most cases for current iPod Nanos say. based on that, I am thinking that the FatPod is the new iPod with a higher end full screen iPod above it like they have done with the ipod Photo in the past.

unclewinkie
Sep 1, 2007, 11:05 AM
there is a tear running down my face.

Iced Angel
Sep 1, 2007, 11:12 AM
I think you guys are being fooled by the proportions. The leaked shots look fatter, but they are much much shorter too.

my problem is exactly with the proportions .... it's kind of square in shape, I get use to rectangular shape for iPods :D

gusapple
Sep 1, 2007, 11:21 AM
my problem is exactly with the proportions .... it's kind of square in shape, I get use to rectangular shape for iPods :D

The click wheel looks a lot smaller too.

bdj21ya
Sep 1, 2007, 11:23 AM
How come people get bent out of shape because one guy makes a "fat sex is better" joke, but you don't hear a god damn peep when another guy insults a whole region with his "much like the western world, it looks like iPod is gonna grow fatter" comment???

I'm afraid I don't really see why anyone would get offended by either.

The western world is getting fatter as a matter of scientific survey, why would anyone be offended by fact? Or moreover, even if you dispute the surveys, why even then would you be offended--since you would likely understand that the commenter was basing his opinion on these surveys?

As to the fat sex comment, maybe fat sex is better, I've never tried it. What is offensive about the idea?

Back on topic, I could see these new iPods being quite attractive, or quite ugly, I'll have to see them first. I still think the new iMac, while superior to most computer designs, is a large step down from the previous version.

Finally, I think that more likely than not, we will not see a touch based iPod come next Wednesday, but we will see OS X based iPods with Coverflow. Get used to it now, and you won't be disappointed.

g4jedi
Sep 1, 2007, 11:24 AM
The company I work for... we sell a Wireless iPod Speaker System:

http://www.eoswireless.com

We are also certified "Made For iPod" partners. With this membership we receive documentation, spces and schematics for all iPods. Apple does NOT provide ANY information on new iPods. This is really fishy to me!

plumbingandtech
Sep 1, 2007, 11:25 AM
Cough.

Traffic driver to their site to sell their cases.

Cough.

bdj21ya
Sep 1, 2007, 11:29 AM
Yeah, it DEOS say iPod, who says that it's for the iPod Nano!? Gosh, if it is........ I AM GONNA BLOW A GASKET! IF I GOT RID OF MY IPOD FOR THAT????????? YES I MEAN TO YELL! IF THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN, I WILL JUST BUY AN IPHONE.

I think that this is exactly why you would not see a full screen iPod (touch or otherwise) come Wednesday. I put it's chances at about 35% (not impossible by any means, but less than likely).

RichP
Sep 1, 2007, 11:34 AM
This is just the way their line of cases look. If you examine their "hard-shell" for the iphone, and their soft-shell for the ipod, you will notice the devices look more square.

This rumor should be page 2.

thesdx
Sep 1, 2007, 11:45 AM
I hope this isn't a Nano. It wouldn't be that bad if these were the 6G iPods, and they created an entirely new product, the iPod Touch. If these are the Nanos...

jcshas
Sep 1, 2007, 11:48 AM
Clearly, I think Apple's strategy here is to get video on to the Nano - hence the "fatter" size. Right now, that's simply not even plausible given the Nano's small screen and current form factor. Despite the fact that I prefer the current Nano for it's small form factor, over the "fat" Nano, I do occasionally find myself wishing my Nano had video playback capabilities. I have an 80 GB video iPod that I hardly use it because it's so much bulkier than carrying around my Nano.

Schtumple
Sep 1, 2007, 11:52 AM
iPod shuffle (2GB) - low-cost, music only, ultimate workout MP3 player
iPod nano (2, 4, 8GB) - for music enthusiasts who don't have many songs
iPod (16, 32GB) (what people are calling the new nano) - for music enthusiasts who want some video capabilities on the go with wi-fi capability
iPod touch (30, 60, 120GB) - for mobile video enthusiasts

That actually seems like a possibility. I'd say drop the wifi though, I doubt it'll happen, I want it to, but i doubt it will....

Also having the flagship product being reduced to 16 & 32gb seems a bit stupid, I doubt that will happen, it'll probably be like a iPod video nano or something <insert better name here> and the iPod touch will be the iPod.

Me1000
Sep 1, 2007, 11:58 AM
Think about this...

New nano (redesigned)
A new iPod video (touchscreen)
and a regular iPod (what is pictured here) because there is nothing in the middle to appeal to the people that need more storage space than a nano and dont want a HUGE screen...

inkswamp
Sep 1, 2007, 11:59 AM
I would take the one on the right thanks. ;)

Yeah, that image is kind of unfair though. I say we all stop picking on the rail-thin, arrogant, self-centered, egotistical, high-maintenance b****s of the world by comparing them to the voluptuous, intelligent, funny, know-how-to-have-fun, selfless, full-figured beauties. Just doesn't seem fair. :D

Seriously... in my experience, that's what those two images communicate to me.

inkswamp
Sep 1, 2007, 12:07 PM

Sheesh, give the caps lock a rest, already.

Seems more likely we'll see the shuffle, nano (as-is), this iPod, and some kind of high-end iPod touchscreen model a la the iPhone.

SactoGuy18
Sep 1, 2007, 12:14 PM

Round off the edges and you probably just drew what the new iPod mini will look EXACTLY like. :)

jouster
Sep 1, 2007, 12:25 PM
...This could be a situation where the manufacturer of these cases is just producing a mock-up to get their foot in the door early and get some coverage on gadget sites. If it turns out to be a false rumour (the fatty), then nothing is lost. If it turns out to be real then they can ship the same day as the product is released.

Nothing is lost? If they're going to ship the same day, they would need to have designed the product, tooled their manufacturers up, done the actual manufacturing, and transported then stored enough to meet demand. That sort of thing takes a substantial investment. If they have done all these things and it turns out to be a false rumor, then they will have lost a lot of money.

The only way a company would make these is advance would be if they had advanced knowledge. As many have pointed out already, Apple does not release such knowledge to its iPod ecosystem manufacturers.

Football1maniac
Sep 1, 2007, 12:27 PM
I hope this isn't a Nano. It wouldn't be that bad if these were the 6G iPods, and they created an entirely new product, the iPod Touch. If these are the Nanos...

I don't know about everyone here, but when Steve announced the 5.5 Gen video iPod i Was disappointed by what Apple came up with in a year. Apple is not a utopia (close though) so there will always be products that are created to meet the needs of the demand, just look at the 1st Gen iPod.

joemama
Sep 1, 2007, 12:31 PM
Why are so many people giving this a negative rating. Here is what is goign to happen on Tuesday:

1.) What you are looking at is the new iPod Nano. It will be widescreen AND play video. It's exactly what anyone who had a Nano wanted. It may be wider, but it's shorter, too. Give and take, people.

2.) The current iPod (5G or whatever they are on) will be replaced by the Widescreen touch ipod. It will be the same form factor as the iPhone, except no phone, (and hopefully will have WiFi). Again, this will replace the current top-of-the line iPod.

So everybody wins. Nano users get the video playback, and regular iPod users now get widescreen, etc.

So, we will have :

iPod Nano w/video: $199 & $249
iPod Widescreen: $299 & $399
iShuffle: same, except memory bump.

Get your CC's ready.

jcrash
Sep 1, 2007, 12:35 PM
I think it is strange that everyone assumes this is the "new ipod nano." Where does it say nano on that picture?

Why can't it be the new ipod formfactor? The old ipod was pretty big if you think about it.

I guess we find out Wednesday, but I'm saying this is the new ipod formfactor. The larger ipods will all be fullscreen jobbers with touch like the iphone. But, all the old functionality will be present on this new smaller form factor.

IF the nano is redone, this isn't it.

JGowan
Sep 1, 2007, 12:44 PM
If it turns out that this is true, I'm heading immediately over to my Wal*Mart and getting the current Nano while they last.

I remember when Shuffle 2.0 was revealed, W*M continued to carry 1.0 for several weeks.

GFLPraxis
Sep 1, 2007, 12:45 PM
What if the "fat nanos" aren't nanos at all? What if Apple intends to make the "normal" iPod aluminum and colored and flash-based, and then add an iPod Touch at the top of the lineup with the hard drive?

Bimmi
Sep 1, 2007, 01:04 PM

I don't see how Apple can avoid releasing a touch-screen model as their top-of-the-line on Wednesday, but as far as I'm concerned that will signify an entirely new product line. I believe the HD-based clickwheel iPod will live on for the foreseeable future, and I don't believe the leaked photos depict a new nano.

(to tenneriffe: I am something of a dialectical trainwreck, but I did grow up in the little ol' South and it has had some lasting repurcussions on my speaking habits. Glad you like, though)

(also, if it were up to me, I'd take the short fat chick. Apropos of nothing, I know)

jcrash
Sep 1, 2007, 01:22 PM
What if the "fat nanos" aren't nanos at all? What if Apple intends to make the "normal" iPod aluminum and colored and flash-based, and then add an iPod Touch at the top of the lineup with the hard drive?

eggxactly what is going to happen.

Iced Angel
Sep 1, 2007, 01:34 PM

If they do so, the "touch screen" iPod or whatever they call it, would not be something cheaper than $300 :( I was hoping for a touch screen replacing the current video iPod with same price :D

Multimedia
Sep 1, 2007, 01:34 PM
What if the "fat nanos" aren't nanos at all? What if Apple intends to make the "normal" iPod aluminum and colored and flash-based, and then add an iPod Touch at the top of the lineup with the hard drive?That's what I think is happening. Give the flash based iPod video capability so they can sell more TV shows to that crowd while advancing the interface on the hard drive models with up to 120GB inside and a full screen for HD 640 x 360 (my dream res 1/3 HD).

Mammoth
Sep 1, 2007, 01:36 PM
Am I the only person who likes the new nano?

Seriously, people complain the currant nano doesn't have video, so apple put in a bigger screen so you can watch video on it, then people complain, hypocrites.

Anyone who think it looks fat and horrible, go see it in real life when it comes out, then decide, I think it'll perfectly fit in your hand, like the iPod mini.

I hated the new iMacs, but saw one in PC World today and now love the new design....

I think it looks pretty cool. If they keep the same flattened tube shape and thickness but make it shorter and wider, it would be pretty swell. :cool:

I have a feeling this case is just a fake to get some free advertising for the company.

Bimmi
Sep 1, 2007, 01:37 PM
Any touchscreen iPod is going to be unavoidably more expensive than the current top-of-the-line model, which is just one of several good reasons to keep some variation of the current iPod in the model lineup.

currentinterest
Sep 1, 2007, 01:49 PM
Apple will want video at the lower Nano price point. Only the Shuffle will remain non-video. They want as big a market as possible (deployed video capable iPods) for their movies and TV shows. They also want flash based iPods only. The "transition" products they expressed some nervousness about in the last conference call, is likely the switch to an all, or almost all, flash based platform. The Nano will be a little wider, be light, shorter, and just as thin, making it look and feel great in one's hand.

Bimmi
Sep 1, 2007, 01:58 PM
Have there really been all that many complaints about lack of video on the nano? I know that I couldn't care less about it. The primary appeal of the nano, for me, has always been the form factor, and I'm going to be really disappointed if an entirely unneeded feature like video winds up ruining that.

raykhrud
Sep 1, 2007, 02:02 PM
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/8821/nanosmallno2.jpg

Chris Bangle
Sep 1, 2007, 02:02 PM
the cheaper the ipods with video playback are.. the more videos apple will sell on itunes

Chris Bangle
Sep 1, 2007, 02:08 PM
linked image (http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/8821/nanosmallno2.jpg)

FAKE... Click wheel is much lighter then the one in the 9 to 5 mac picture... Thtas a 5.5g with coverflow shopped onto it.

joemama
Sep 1, 2007, 02:14 PM
eggxactly what is going to happen.

Yup...did no one read my post?? There is no more "traditional" Nano.

mingisback
Sep 1, 2007, 02:35 PM
linked image (http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/8821/nanosmallno2.jpg)

I'm not sure why everyone is assuming this is the new nano.

There is no way Apple will increase the physical size of the nano... This is obviously the New full sized iPod. Apple has NEVER increased the physical size of any of their music players since the launch of the original iPod.

"not the nano"

p.s. interesting mockup.

dornoforpyros
Sep 1, 2007, 02:36 PM
in what way has the "iPod touch" been confirmed? Hate to say it kids, but I think the "phatty nanos" are the new iPods.

sbluetruck
Sep 1, 2007, 02:51 PM
maybe because of the price of an iPod touch, the "fat nano" is really a vid iPod update??????

Bimmi
Sep 1, 2007, 02:51 PM
Much as I love the form factor of the plainsauce iPod, it is getting a bit long in the tooth. Shrinking it does seem like a natural progression. I'm just wondering if it's possible to fit all the standard iPod guts into a case this small? Would added thickness be an acceptable tradeoff for the greatly reduced height?

MacFly123
Sep 1, 2007, 02:54 PM
But that doesn't explain why there is no stock for nanos in almost all shops...

It is because they will get higher capacity and new colors, but the Nano will not be leaving!

~Shard~
Sep 1, 2007, 02:55 PM
I'm just wondering if it's possible to fit all the standard iPod guts into a case this small?

It would be if Apple moved to flash-based storage instead of a HDD. Of course then they would probably use a 32 GB chip at the most, meaning the capacities of the new iPods would be decreased and I don't think that would go over too well... :o

macpeter
Sep 1, 2007, 03:03 PM
this is a joke isn't it?

MacFly123
Sep 1, 2007, 03:09 PM
Ok here it is officially:

iPod Shuffle
2GB $79.00, New Colors & Product RED

iPod Nano
4GB $149.00
8GB $199.00, New Colors

iPod Video (Fat Nano/Mini)
16GB $249.00
32GB $299.00, New Colors

iPod Touch
60GB $349.00
120GB $399.00

iPhone
4GB $499.00
8GB $599.00 (2nd gen will be 16GB & 32GB @ same prices)

Now that product line up and pricing makes sense to me :) You'll all see on Wednesday :D

Oops, sorry about the repeat, didn't mean to!

Bimmi
Sep 1, 2007, 03:11 PM
Wild-ass guess or not, that sounds highly plausible to me.

But...

It would be if Apple moved to flash-based storage instead of a HDD.

Kind of defeats the purpose then.

MacFly123
Sep 1, 2007, 03:19 PM
Good point.

Hey I'm 100% American and thin and proud of it, but I hate to tell it's true lol, nobody can deny that! It's pretty sad I think, but American obesity is a whole different issue!

winterspan
Sep 1, 2007, 03:29 PM
Give me a break! This unknown company just happens to have the specs of an unannounced Ipod? No way in H3LL!
either:
1) they are just showing a mockup of their stupid case based on speculation.
2) much more likely, they made this mockup KNOWING FULL WELL that it would speed around the internet, giving them a great amount of FREE ADVERTISING right to their target demographic.

Now, they've already achieved their goal and have received plenty of free advert from these foolish apple websites, its time everyone JUST FORGOT
about this period.

jones14
Sep 1, 2007, 03:29 PM
Why do some people assume this could be a regular iPod? It is obviously the Nano.

Why?

I took out my copy of the iPod spy shot from last week displaying the fatPods, and low and behold, the file name was nano_flower.psd

To me, that means its not a new model, a mini, or a 5g iPod revision, it means this is for the NANO!!!

i0Nic
Sep 1, 2007, 03:36 PM

iPod Shuffle

iPod Nano
4GB $149.00
8GB $199.00, New Colors

16GB $249.00
32GB $299.00, New Colors

iPod Touch
60GB $349.00
120GB $399.00

iPhone
4GB $499.00

Now that product line up and pricing makes sense to me :) You'll all see on Wednesday :D

It's good but there's a flaw.
32gb flash is still hella expensive, I can't see it only being a $50 difference in price between a 16gb ipod video and a 32gb. Could be wrong though, otherwise your prices/specs/models are pretty much in line with what I predicted in another thread, so I think it will go down similiar.

edit- keep everything the same but change capacities of the ipod video to 8gb and 16gb, and we have a winner.

Tom B.
Sep 1, 2007, 03:44 PM
I completely agree with MacFly123 about the upcoming lineup.

This iPod is definitely not the new iPod nano!

Apple has NEVER increased the physical size of any of their music players since the launch of the original iPod.

False. When the iPod photo line was discontinued, normal 4th generation iPods were upgraded to colour screens. This made them thicker than the previous iPods. But, anyway, I do agree that there is no way the new nanos will be bigger than the current nanos.

Roy Hobbs
Sep 1, 2007, 03:47 PM
Why do some people assume this could be a regular iPod? It is obviously the Nano.

Why?

I took out my copy of the iPod spy shot from last week displaying the fatPods, and low and behold, the file name was nano_flower.psd

To me, that means its not a new model, a mini, or a 5g iPod revision, it means this is for the NANO!!!

The name of the PSD means nothing, it could have been changed by anyone who had their hands on it.

DmitriF
Sep 1, 2007, 03:59 PM
Hey.. how about an iMac style iPod? :P

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5530/imacipodsa6.jpg

tomd89
Sep 1, 2007, 04:14 PM

That looks very nice actually!

raykhrud
Sep 1, 2007, 04:35 PM
I'm not sure why everyone is assuming this is the new nano.

There is no way Apple will increase the physical size of the nano... This is obviously the New full sized iPod. Apple has NEVER increased the physical size of any of their music players since the launch of the original iPod.

"not the nano"

p.s. interesting mockup.

Thanks
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/9766/rollingstonesab6.jpg

AppleiMac
Sep 1, 2007, 04:43 PM

<snip image>

Wow, that's something no one thought of yet....very interesting, I like the way it looks!

rockstarjoe
Sep 1, 2007, 04:51 PM

<snip image>

Dude, that is HOT. Amazing what a difference it makes if you have an eye for design!

BobtheTomato
Sep 1, 2007, 04:55 PM
Photos of the upcoming iPod Nano were leaked (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/22/ipod-nano-photos/) and later pulled at the request of Apple, and are expected to make their debut at Apple's September 5th media event.

I hope they're going to release new iPod Nanos rather than merely releasing Photos of iPod Nanos.

pubius
Sep 1, 2007, 05:04 PM
Awww, new ipod nano, you're not fat, you're just husky.

This design hurts me inside. But to those of you that are into it, have fun carrying that oafish bathroom tile around in your pocket, I'm sure it'll be plenty comfortable (and sexy).

i0Nic
Sep 1, 2007, 05:07 PM
fatpod iMac
http://tinyurl.com/2ptfkj

DmitriF
Sep 1, 2007, 05:08 PM
Dude, that is HOT. Amazing what a difference it makes if you have an eye for design!

Thanks :) May be a little uncomfortable to hold though if the edges are hard, which makes this design less likely (at least the way the edges are)

pubius
Sep 1, 2007, 05:14 PM
Thanks :) May be a little uncomfortable to hold though if the edges are hard, which makes this design less likely (at least the way the edges are)

I've actually always hated the rounded edges, even if they are more comfortable. Didn't help that the round edges were always accompanied by hideous tacky metallics. In all truth, for me, the black nanos (with silver backs) that everyone complained about scratches on, were the finest nano design.

mdriftmeyer
Sep 1, 2007, 05:57 PM
Unbelievable. I can't see so many adults whining like little children. Who cares if they made it shorter?

If the ease-of-use is still there I can't see how chopping the bottom down is going to create such concern?

You whine about it being "fat"?

Look in the mirror America. Most of you are fat and not because it is more Ergonomical to be fat or cost effective to be fat, or allows to fit into other devices like cars to be fat.

steve_hill4
Sep 1, 2007, 06:03 PM
fatpod iMac

That was posted here about an hour and half a dozen posts before you. Who's plagiarising who?

Anyway, new iPods are on our systems at work, (same before updates last year and last MacBook Pro updates). Nothing much to report though. No model numbers, no descriptions, all say "NEW" and are listed under the iPod style code of ours at 99.99.

What intrigues me a little is that there are fifteen listed. Last year we had similar listings just before the announcements of new nanos/iPods with about 9 listed at 99. After announcement, they all changed to proper descriptions and prices. There ended up with 12 models in total, so this means absolutely nothing, but let's assume the shuffle doesn't change for whatever reason, that would leave 15 split between nanos, iPod and iPod touches. How about 5 colours for 4 and 8GB, two colours at 40 and 100GB each and an iPod touch, single model at 120-160GB.

Just thinking out loud.

iTeen
Sep 1, 2007, 06:05 PM
if the "phat nano" is real i for the first time, will not upgrade.:mad:

mdriftmeyer
Sep 1, 2007, 06:12 PM
if the "phat nano" is real i for the first time, will not upgrade.:mad:

Good for you. No one expects someone already owning one or more iPods to upgrade.

Read a book.

mdriftmeyer
Sep 1, 2007, 06:18 PM
That looks very nice actually!

Since Apple is taking the Going Green 100% I'd expect aluminum single sheet coverings and a glass face like the new iMac. The aluminum would then come in a variety of colors.

The Click Wheel is patented for the iPod because the iPod has a specific subset of functionality best targeted by using a Click Wheel. Lots of rumors about a touchscreen invariably seems overkill for price point and functionality reasoning.

Having an embedded version of OS X and iTunes reminiscent of iPhone is reasonable, just a smaller subset of Services and frameworks included by using a Darwin embedded version and Quartz/WindowServer.app UI.

jones14
Sep 1, 2007, 06:24 PM
The name of the PSD means nothing, it could have been changed by anyone who had their hands on it.

Going by that logic also says that the picture could have been done by anyone with they're hands on Photoshop. Why would someone change the name?

ll PiStoNs ll
Sep 1, 2007, 06:29 PM
I think apple is going to bring back the ipod mini.

it is what it says, just a mini ipod.

The original ipod mini had the same features as the big ipod, b&w screen and same interface, only smaller hdd. This fat ipod will be the new mini im guessing, just like a mini version of the 5th gen ipod, video, color screen etc..

nano will stay the same, it will be like 50 less than the mini (you are paying 50 more just for video)

than the touch ipod

SeaFox
Sep 1, 2007, 06:44 PM

iPod Shuffle

iPod Nano
4GB $149.00
8GB $199.00, New Colors

16GB $249.00
32GB $299.00, New Colors

iPod Touch
60GB $349.00
120GB $399.00

iPhone
4GB $499.00

As much as I like that product matrix, how about we not use the phrase "official" unless it's for information from an Apple press release or media event? :rolleyes:

iEdd
Sep 1, 2007, 07:00 PM
I lol at anyone who actually believes this is the new nano. I mean, as wide as the current iPod, but shorter, sounds like an evolutionary iPod upgrade where things get a little smaller.
I can believe that the nano gets remade, being all screen though. Either touch based, or with a clickwheel on the back.

StealthRider
Sep 1, 2007, 07:16 PM
*SNIP IMAGE*

That is gorgeous.

aswitcher
Sep 1, 2007, 07:28 PM
It's good but there's a flaw.
32gb flash is still hella expensive, I can't see it only being a $50 difference in price between a 16gb ipod video and a 32gb. Could be wrong though, otherwise your prices/specs/models are pretty much in line with what I predicted in another thread, so I think it will go down similiar.

edit- keep everything the same but change capacities of the ipod video to 8gb and 16gb, and we have a winner.

Agreed. 16 and 32 GB flash sticks cost a lot. Unless Apple did some amazing wheeling and dealing, it aint going to be that cheap. Maybe 8 and 16. I cant see a 32 this year unless they did a premium touch ipod.

paja
Sep 1, 2007, 07:41 PM
frigging ugly !:eek:

How could Apple let this "thing" out of the door.

I hope it's not real. Old Nano's will be in hot demand.

Buying a few of the old Nano's as soon as this abortion ships so I can make some eBay sales.:D

yoyo5280
Sep 1, 2007, 08:00 PM
fatpod iMac
That is one sexy iPod

queshy
Sep 1, 2007, 08:53 PM
that iMac style iPod is super super nice...excellent work.

MrCrowbar
Sep 2, 2007, 11:31 AM

Something's missing to make it match the iMac...

http://tinyurl.com/3amwqh

There you go :-)

brsboarder
Sep 2, 2007, 11:59 AM
I think i'm going to puke. C'mon who needs video on a small ipod! Can't we just be happy strapping our little nano's to our arms and running? I guess not. I wonder what the arm straps are going to look like

psychofreak
Sep 2, 2007, 12:01 PM
I think i'm going to puke. C'mon who needs video on a small ipod! Can't we just be happy strapping our little nano's to our arms and running? I guess not. I wonder what the arm straps are going to look like

There has been enough demand for video on the Nano for the feature to be included in iPodLinux...

brsboarder
Sep 2, 2007, 12:07 PM
and there is also enough demand for fast food restaurants to expand and thrive, but they aren't necessarily good. Video, while many people want it, will just continue to harm us. Much less educational and social benefit than positive benefits

DaHarder
Sep 2, 2007, 12:11 PM

Apparently you've yet to hear of Meizu's brilliant M3, which is actually shorter and just as thin as the current Nano yet supports video (as well as FM and recording - internally) brilliantly.

As for this 'supposed' new design/form-factor... It's been working well for Creative and their V Series of flash based players for well over a year, so why wouldn't it work here?
;)

God^Cent
Sep 2, 2007, 12:17 PM
lol, look at what some uncreative guy photo-shopped up and posted on eBay for .99c.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120156690489&ru=http://search.ebay.com:80/120156690489_W0QQfclZ4QQfnuZ1QQfsopZ1QQfviZ1
http://i21.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/91/af/f731_1_b.JPG

i0Nic
Sep 2, 2007, 12:46 PM
That was posted here about an hour and half a dozen posts before you. Who's plagiarising who?

Errr, I clearly took that design and shrunk it to make it fall in line with rumours of the fat ipod mini. Take another look.

DaHarder
Sep 2, 2007, 01:11 PM
As anyone possessing the ability to think logically has concluded, this is the 6G iPod's new form-factor... NOT the New Nano.

Which is little more than taking the (current) iPod, replacing the larger 'click' wheel with one the size of the current Nano, placing it as low on the player as ergonomically feasible, and subsequently removing the remaining empty space... while maintaining the 5g's thickness and width.

As far as those who insist on proclaiming that these 'renderings' are wide-screen, think again... The height-to-width ration clearly remains in the 4:3 arena.

Let’s hope that with the nano, they either increase the LCD size to 1.8”, or get rid of some of the wasted space between the ‘click’ wheel and the LCD/'click' wheel and the bottom, as it’s simply taller than it need be.

I guess we'll all see soon enough, and whether YOU like it or not, THEY WILL SELL!

parrotheadmjb
Sep 2, 2007, 02:09 PM
As anyone possessing the ability to think logically has concluded, this is the 6G iPod's new form-factor... NOT the New Nano.

Which is little more than taking the (current) iPod, replacing the larger 'click' wheel with one the size of the current Nano, placing it as low on the player as ergonomically feasible, and subsequently removing the remaining empty space... while maintaining the 5g's thickness and width.

As far as those who insist on proclaiming that these 'renderings' are wide-screen, think again... The height-to-width ration clearly remains in the 4:3 arena.

Let’s hope that with the nano, they either increase the LCD size to 1.8”, or get rid of some of the wasted space between the ‘click’ wheel and the LCD/'click' wheel and the bottom, as it’s simply taller than it need be.

I guess we'll all see soon enough, and whether YOU like it or not, THEY WILL SELL!

I would bet my left & right kidney apple is not stupid enough to release that as the "new" ipod

Grimace
Sep 2, 2007, 02:14 PM
I would bet my left & right kidney apple is not stupid enough to release that as the "new" ipod

You just lost two kidneys. Apple wouldn't release that as a nano. It's an incremental change to the standard iPod, something that is fairly predictable. Having an iPhone-like interface on a standard iPod would be great; BUT it would take away some of the cool from the iPhone itself. I would have just bought a "new" iPod and kept my old phone.

Anyway, we'll see soon...

gusapple
Sep 2, 2007, 02:35 PM
that iMac style iPod is super super nice...excellent work.

Kinda scary how good it looks! Great work, in fact, it makes it look like an actual model... Are you sure that person didn't just com from the future and bring back a picture of the iPod???

steve_hill4
Sep 2, 2007, 02:45 PM
lol, look at what some uncreative guy photo-shopped up and posted on eBay for .99c.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120156690489&ru=http://search.ebay.com:80/120156690489_W0QQfclZ4QQfnuZ1QQfsopZ1QQfviZ1
http://i21.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/91/af/f731_1_b.JPG

If you take a look at one of this guys other auctions, it's more likely one of these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...... (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120157057521&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RCRX_Pr12_PcY_BID_Stores_IT&refitem=120156690489&itemcount=12&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget), only displaying a photoshopped iPod nano to confuse people into buying it.

freddiecable
Sep 2, 2007, 03:04 PM
good work! this looks better - and with better proportions. but - video on that small screen is not important - not for me anyhow. I would keep my nano and wait for the iPhone...which will probably be 16/32GB when it gets released in Sweden :rolleyes:

Schtumple
Sep 2, 2007, 03:07 PM
Something's missing to make it match the iMac...

http://tinyurl.com/3amwqh

There you go :-)

HAHA so true, i actually really like that picture though, minus the apple logo....

gusapple
Sep 2, 2007, 04:15 PM
HAHA so true, i actually really like that picture though, minus the apple logo....

Me too, but, your right, to make it look like an iMac, it does need the Apple.

PJF13
Sep 2, 2007, 05:16 PM
I'm wondering this:

perhaps the shuffle has faired better in design (research based) AND research indicates that the current Nano is preferred because of the screen....

RESULTING, in the latest design. It's almost the size of a shuffle (has a built on clip, like the shuffle) but has the screen and operates like a Nano.

THE MAJOR selling point would then be: It has the PRICE of a shuffle and is available in two versions 4 and 8 gigabyte.

What do you think? Is this crazy?

I actually really like the mock up of the one that looks like an iMac, very cool!

Caitlyn
Sep 2, 2007, 05:27 PM
As long as it's scratch resistant and thin, I'm sure I'll like it. A screen similar to that of the new iMac would be cool with the black, glass trim around it.

parrotheadmjb
Sep 2, 2007, 05:57 PM
even if they release that, they are still going to release a touch iPod.

Teddy's
Sep 2, 2007, 06:48 PM
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=83895&d=1188665023

That is what my MBP's battery did.

DTphonehome
Sep 2, 2007, 08:04 PM
Why do people still think that because some third-party that no one has ever heard of before went out on a limb and made a case for a well-publicized iPod mockup, this is what the iPod will look like? As far as we know, Apple has NEVER released the specs of any upcoming iPod (iPhone excluded due to FCC exposure) to any third-party manufacturer. Especially not some tiny little operation. They clearly wanted to make a name for themselves by announcing cases for the upcoming iPod, and so they took a chance that the mockups and screenshots floating around the net are what the next iPod will look like. If they are right, then they are the FIRST manufacturer with cases available (in what has to be a hypercompetitive business with thin margins), and if they are wrong, then they scrap the few samples they had made up (assuming that they made any to begin with and didn't just photoshop some samples), and go make cases for the real iPod when it's announced and they get the specs like everyone else.

Does anyone really expect Apple (of the iron-clad NDA and rabid legal team) to give out the specs for their hottest product to some rinky-dink case manufacturer?

Person of African lineage, I beseech thee.

brsboarder
Sep 2, 2007, 08:15 PM
there are always cases out with new ipods. They do get information

vanzskater272
Sep 2, 2007, 08:36 PM

shuffle - 2 GB
nano - 16 GB
new ipod video - 32 GB

wow you took the words right out of my mouth. except I think the storage sizes will be different.

brsboarder
Sep 2, 2007, 10:30 PM
keep dreaming. Apple never lives up to the wildest guesses of new products and yours is just that

milo2020
Sep 3, 2007, 05:20 AM
why does everyone assume the phatpod is going to be the new nano? It's just the ipod shrunk a little. ipod touch would eat into the iphone market too much to release it now, maybe sometime next year when the iphone 2.0 is out.

Eric Lewis
May 19, 2008, 01:30 PM
so this was released

maybe the leaked iphone will be too