PDA

View Full Version : Console me...please

evapor8
Aug 12, 2003, 12:11 PM
Ok, This is the third thread that I'm starting, and they all basically have to deal with the same thing, but a little tangent on each. Today, just might be the day I get my 15" pb. I know I should probably wait until next week, but I'm not sure what good it will do me. It will cost more, and from what I'm guessing, if it's next week, it will only be a small boost in CPU. My questions are these. 1. if I buy from an authorized dealer what type of return policy do they have (ie. if a new one comes out next week, can I return and get a new 15") and 2. my biggest concern regarding the "old" Ti is that I hear the airport reception isn't that good. Any comments.

And please, before we start telling me to search and what not, I know that I can find all this information in the archives and on apple's web page I'm sure, but I'm at work, and I'm in between meetings rights now, so I'm kinda looking for quick and dirty answers. I'll do more intensive searching later. thanks everyone....I'll try not to bring my woes up again in the forum, I'm sure it's getting annoying.

evapor8
Aug 12, 2003, 12:15 PM
I'm sorry, I put this in the wrong forum, if someone can move this more me, or let me know how to move it myself, that would be much appreciated.

opps!

Schiffi
Aug 12, 2003, 12:22 PM
I can't comment on #1, but #2 is in my range.

Outside the Applestore I got one bar from inside a van. If you are in a room where the base station is in sight it should be all good. I know they get approx. 75% reception of the iBook and about 90% of the Als. Not awefully bad, but it does limit some of the places you can get reception. Wardriving would be hard, but if you wardrive a 3rd Party 802.11g card is easy to get (into the pCMCIA slot) and should be worth it.

plutnicki
Aug 12, 2003, 12:23 PM
I think the Apple store is a 10 or 14 day return policy, with a restocking fee if opened. As far other resellers you'll have to ask them when you buy the book. Also, I think if the price drops, the Apple Store give you 10 day price protection. So, if new 15"s do come out next week, they'll probably drop the price on the existing TiBooks, and you should be able to get a refund on the difference (that's what I was told, I tried to get a refund on a $100 promotion that was started through my company's EPP the week after I got mine, but I was told I couldn't get a credit because it was a promotion, not a price drop).

The TiBook Airport reception is fine in my house, even through my big ol' "wall of electronics" (i.e. directly between me and the Airport is my Home Theater, with a gamecube and Xbox, as well as my TV). That said, I can see how people with a bigger house could complain. The Airport Extreme base station I bought has a port for an external antenna if I feel I need it, there are antennas that can be mounted to the TiBook. If you have an older Airport base station, I think Macworld just ran an article about how to add an antenna to that.

If you're going to "WiFi" someplace other than home, I guess you'd have to try it to find out if you need the external antennas.

I've had my 15" for about 3 weeks now and have really enjoyed having it. It's a very fast, nice looking laptop.

If you don't think the potential enhancements to the 15 are important to you, then by all means, snag a TiBook and pay close attention to the price protection and return policies of the place you buy it from, just in case next week DOES turn out to be THE week.

evapor8
Aug 12, 2003, 12:41 PM
That's great to hear...thank you both. I'm not really going to be war driving being as though, well, I don't have a car. haha. But my design studio does have wifi and I just wanted to make sure that it would work out ok. It's good to hear about the apple store too. I want to at least leave myself an out, but quite honestly, the only reason I can see myself getting the Albook would be for better wifi reception. Everything else, in my opinion (and barring a G5) is neglegable. (that is unless I'm overlooking something HUGE, but I doubt it)

Thanks again. Soon enough, I will be a bonifide Mac-Head, not just a wanna be on a PC