PDA

View Full Version : iPhone, You Make a Terrible Flashlight!

katie ta achoo
Sep 4, 2007, 12:53 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

There have been horrid, terrible storms for the last few days. Why, yesterday I got flooded a block and a half away from my house. I had to pull over for 45 minutes before I could drive the 100 feet to get to my driveway. (Thanks, mysterious neighbor whose driveway I borrowed!)

Today, though… today was fun. I had just finished closing down the registers when

BOOM!

Read Full Article (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/08/28/iphone-you-make-a-terrible-flashlight/)

CBJammin103
Sep 4, 2007, 01:31 AM
I've actually had great success with my iPhone as a flashlight, but this is a pretty funny way to take that to another level. :p

macduke
Sep 4, 2007, 01:42 AM
I've found the iPhone works great as a flashlight. I went camping about a month ago in southern Pennsylvania and every time the girlfriend needed to go to the bathroom at night we would head off into the wilderness with the iPhone shining the way. I would just pull up a webpage before it loads (which was easy to do since there was hardly any service at the campsite), crank the iPhone up to full brightness, and turn off the auto-brightness for some flashlight filled fun. It is much brighter then my last cell phone. Too bad there isn't a built in flash for the camera as that would work great as well.

megfilmworks
Sep 4, 2007, 02:08 AM
Works great in strange hotel rooms at night! Woke my girlfriend up it was so bright in a pitch black room.

Nanaki
Sep 4, 2007, 02:26 AM
I tried this... didn't think it was all too great. You know what works great? GOOGLE!

fastbite
Sep 4, 2007, 03:06 AM
As the iPhone is not out in the UK yet, I'm getting by with an old boring flashlight.:(

LimeiBook86
Sep 4, 2007, 03:22 AM
I turned the brightness all the way up and the iPhone before and it worked great as a flashlight for me. :confused:

When the power goes out, you can't be picky. Of course the MacBook would make a much better flashlight but, these devices obviously aren't designed to be used as one. ;)

Cleverboy
Sep 4, 2007, 05:22 AM
I just talked with a friend about this the other day. Turn the brightness all the way up, and go to a web page that is mostly white, and you're perfectly fine. I don't know if these images will help narrow the beam, but my friend (who's Ericcson had a Flashlight in it) had to agree completely, that the iPhone "flash light" (without the images) worked perfectly well (brightness turned up). His phone does SOS too (morse code). Honestly speaking, this needs to just be a native app, that can temorarily reset the brightness controls, etc.

~ CB

calculus
Sep 4, 2007, 05:34 AM
Funnily enough my torch (flashlight) is no good as a phone...

PowerFullMac
Sep 4, 2007, 05:54 AM
So if you just get a plain white image it will work just fine as well? I agree it would be easy for a programmer to easily make a app that shows up plain white and temporarily turns up the brightness to full.

SirOmega
Sep 4, 2007, 06:58 AM
I used my iPhone as a flashlight this weekend, on the way to and from the bathroom from my hotel bed. Ugh, that'll teach me to drink entirely too much...

bobobo
Sep 4, 2007, 07:24 AM
The iPhone isn't a $800 phone.

"So, I get home and google iPhone flashlight, just for giggles. The best thing ever came up: iPhone flashlight. "

Why didn't you just check it up on your iPhone.

Silly.

bdj21ya
Sep 4, 2007, 08:39 AM
I don't really see the point of the images at all. When you want a flashlight, just turn the brightness all the way up-then leave it on that page (the brightness page is plenty close enough to white, AND then you don't have to go anywhere to turn it back down.)

This picture thing is way too many complicated steps. If you don't want full brightness, just turn the brightness up less, and you cut off several steps over doing it using these pictures.

However, I think I just found the application that could get me into native development. I think I'll look into how easy this would be as soon as I have some free time.

LimeiBook86
Sep 4, 2007, 10:17 AM
Funnily enough my torch (flashlight) is no good as a phone...

Really? I'd call up the manufacturer right away, sounds like it's defective! ;) :p :D

amemoryoncelost
Sep 4, 2007, 10:31 AM
Was filming for two nights in the woods for this indie film I'm working on and didn't have one of the head lamps most people use. We had about a 200 yard path to walk down, kind of by a river. iPhone performed wonderfully. Brightness all the way up and a white page like everyone else. No need for silly images I think, but eh....

dfnj123
Sep 4, 2007, 10:34 AM
The iPhone isn't a $800 phone.

"So, I get home and google iPhone flashlight, just for giggles. The best thing ever came up: iPhone flashlight. "

Why didn't you just check it up on your iPhone.

Silly.including tax and monthly bill, hell yes it's worth $800

calculus
Sep 4, 2007, 01:02 PM
Really? I'd call up the manufacturer right away, sounds like it's defective! ;) :p :D

I'm going to start a class action - who's with me?

gregdrummeraz
Sep 4, 2007, 02:06 PM
when you play hide n seek or like sardines... I am sick of people using there phones as cheating devices in the game... I brought it up to apple. they promised me they would make things good for me!!!

sorry this one is my fault

jk

what was the final resort of the power?

xfsasx
Sep 4, 2007, 03:23 PM
install ilight and it will show up on your home screen as a button

http://iphone.natetrue.com/Light/

bdj21ya
Sep 4, 2007, 05:45 PM
install ilight and it will show up on your home screen as a button

http://iphone.natetrue.com/Light/

But this doesn't automatically change the brightness, does it?

That's what the app ought to do.

A Pittarelli
Sep 4, 2007, 07:17 PM
thats like the "flash" on a computer web cam, the screen just brightens for a sec

ghall
Sep 4, 2007, 08:53 PM
Geez, it can do all that cool stuff, but it sure makes a cruddy flashlight. :rolleyes:

NewSc2
Sep 4, 2007, 09:03 PM
It makes a better flashlight than my two previous options (razr or nano)

DaftUnion
Sep 5, 2007, 02:15 AM
Mine works great for that for finding my way from my room door to the bed at night. Other than that though that's about all I use it for.

louiek
Sep 5, 2007, 02:23 AM
I didn't think the iphone did flash.

BKKbill
Sep 5, 2007, 11:12 PM
Don't be silly. It would have to be called an iTorch.

Dagless
Sep 8, 2007, 07:22 PM
I do this with my DS Lite on the Health & Safety screen, came in oh-so handy when we had a midnight power cut. Managed to sneak downstairs and get some candles and just played about on my PowerBook :)

Really can't wait to pick up the iPhone! So long as it has unlimited unmetered internet usage here :o

luvmyMacs
Sep 10, 2007, 02:38 PM
including tax and monthly bill, hell yes it's worth $800

You can't count monthly bill....you would be paying that anyway :p

medafor
Sep 11, 2007, 06:21 PM
there is a flashlight application for the iPhone, you can install it only if your iphone is freed.

cynerjist
Sep 11, 2007, 06:29 PM
Works great in strange hotel rooms at night! Woke my girlfriend up it was so bright in a pitch black room.

:D so many places one could go with this

ecks618
Sep 11, 2007, 11:33 PM
Just use the flash for the camera...

:p:rolleyes:-To all the people that looked at the back of their iPhones.

Zargot
Oct 31, 2007, 06:19 PM
Using about:blank in Safari works well for lighting purposes...

harperb
Dec 12, 2007, 06:04 PM
Just turn up the brightness level - the backlight in the phone is quite bright, especially when cranked up all the way.

Santa Rosa
Dec 30, 2007, 08:20 PM
MWSF 2007

Steve is on the stage, the lights dim

Every once in a while a revolutionary product comes along...

Today we announce the iTorch (crowd goes wild), the first torch ever to incorporate a phone, an iPod and an Internet Communicator all controlled with a gorgeous 3.5 inch multitouch display...

Something just not quite right about that :)

madfresh
Jan 1, 2008, 06:11 AM
I use my iPhone as a flashlight in my house when I don't feel like turning on the lights. :p

sherwinzadeh
Jan 3, 2008, 11:56 PM
I didn't think the iphone did flash.

I wish the iPhone had a camera flash ... I built a cool little app on the Motorla Q called Pocket Light (http://www.artamata.com/pocketlight) that let you use the camera flash as a very bright flash light. You could also program morse code with it. Would love to port it to the iPhone.

-Sherwin

cnote678
Apr 17, 2008, 09:47 PM
I just want to say that reading this forum has made the iPhone so much more tantalizing for me. Just the all-the-time-ness of it all is so EXCITING, I just want to have my iPhone and LOVE it and use it as my FLASHLIGHT and everything else! I must have one...but damn Verizon!

PowerFullMac
Apr 18, 2008, 12:57 AM
I just want to say that reading this forum has made the iPhone so much more tantalizing for me. Just the all-the-time-ness of it all is so EXCITING, I just want to have my iPhone and LOVE it and use it as my FLASHLIGHT and everything else! I must have one...but damn Verizon!

The thing you are looking for is the Pwnage Tool! ;)

Oskee2001
Apr 18, 2008, 10:13 AM
Pwnage won't help as Verizon is not a GSM carrier...

Dokter_Mac
May 19, 2008, 08:21 PM
Hi,
I just want to say that using the flashlight application is bad for your battery :D.
In some conditions it's even very dangerous and your "blog subject" could explode in your face :eek: .
The developer from the program is warning for this danger.
So just be careful...
It's a Phone, it's an iPod, it's a camera, it's even a computer! But not a flashlight ;).

Greetz