PDA

View Full Version : Please kill me.

eljefe
Sep 5, 2007, 09:29 AM
I've got new iPod blues. I need to vent.

My iPod was stolen about six months ago. Although I had used it every day, and although I can afford it, my wife forbade me to buy another one, because she thought it was a waste of money. I figured, fine, I'll wait until the new models come out, and then we'll rediscuss whether I'm "allowed" to have an iPod.

Today is my wedding anniversary. Today is also when Apple unveils the new iPods.

This morning, as I got ready to go to work, my wife handed me... an iPod. Which will be obsolete in about three hours. Which she had engraved, so I can't return it. I smiled, said I loved it, cooed and ahhed - while I died on the inside. Go ahead, call me ungrateful. I AM!

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to love my iPod. It's just that I'm going to follow today's proceedings feeling slightly nauseated.

bartelby
Sep 5, 2007, 09:31 AM
You're wife bought you an iPod and you're whinging?

Nice...:rolleyes:

BoyBach
Sep 5, 2007, 09:32 AM
You ungrateful *%@%$@*&!!?!!!

Seriously?!

:D

invasian
Ouch...sorry to hear that...at least know that you have someone who cares about you in such a thoughtful manner...

on the other hand, she needed to do her homework!!!

Queso
Every one of us will have obsolete models this evening anyway. The wife obviously loves you dearly to know what you really wanted. Give her a big kiss and cuddle, and treasure what she's bought you.

eljefe
Sep 5, 2007, 09:35 AM
You're wife bought you an iPod and you're whinging?

Nice...:rolleyes:

Yes!!! Exactly. I'm whining.

I'm like a kid on Christmas morning who got an expensive toy that wasn't exactly what I wanted, and I'm whining about it. I'm well aware of that.

I'm whining because my wife bought me an iPod (using my money, mind you) on the DAY the new ones come out.

I already told you, I know I'm ungrateful. Flame on. I'll just whine louder!

ftaok
Sep 5, 2007, 09:38 AM
Yes!!! Exactly. I'm whining.

I'm like a kid on Christmas morning who got an expensive toy that wasn't exactly what I wanted, and I'm whining about it. I'm well aware of that.

I'm whining because my wife bought me an iPod (using my money, mind you) on the DAY the new ones come out.

I already told you, I know I'm ungrateful. Flame on. I'll just whine louder!

Maybe you can hope the new iPods will suck. At least you'll know that you have the better iPod.

But just to rub it in, when has Apple put out a newer iPod that was worse than the one it was replacing?

Looks like you'll just have to suffer with the gift iPod. Sorry.

AdeFowler
Sep 5, 2007, 09:38 AM
D-I-V-O-R-C-E :D

Seriously, what a great wife! Love her, love your iPod, love life ;)

Much Ado
Sep 5, 2007, 09:39 AM
Which would you treasure more? The 6G iPod, or the 5.5G given with love on a special day?

Think about it, as the answer will tell us a lot about yourself.

iBlue
Sep 5, 2007, 09:41 AM
Did she know there might be new ones today? (I'm betting not)

You are indeed an ungrateful git, but on general principle I can sort of understand the frustration. Don't let her know you feel that way though, OK? If we all think you're being a twunt about it, she definitely will.

Fact remains, you got a working iPod, which you wanted, even if it isn't the newest thing.

eljefe
Sep 5, 2007, 09:42 AM
Don't get me wrong... I kissed her, hugged her, told her I loved her. Which I do. I said I loved the iPod, and that it was a fantastic present. Which it is. Told her I will use it every day. Which I will.

I just died a little on the inside, and I had to let my feelings out somewhere - preferably where it wouldn't get back to her. After today's gift, I'd say it's pretty safe to assume she doesn't frequent the MacRumors forums. :D

mkrishnan
Sep 5, 2007, 09:45 AM
My girlfriend got me a movie I really love as a present once, in fullscreen. I sort of sympathize. I actually, embarrassingly, tried to be George Costanza about it, quietly order a widescreen copy off Amazon used, and get rid of the FS one. Of course, the widescreen copy I order off Amazon comes FS also.

So I return it, and later confess the whole embarrassing story to my lovey.... and live happily with my FS copy...

Love before iPods.... sad to say. Love before almost anything. Sorry.

Jaffa Cake
Sep 5, 2007, 09:46 AM
I'm not that worried about impending upgrades – my 3G iPod has been made 'obsolete' quite a few times over the past years but, strangely enough, it still plays music exactly the same and works exactly as well as when I first bought it. :confused:

peter32892
Sep 5, 2007, 09:50 AM
Yeah I know what you mean but she probably already ordered you one when you started asking for a new one so that might be why she said no! You can accept the 5.5 ipod or do something to it within it's warranty and see if they will bump you into the new ipod. Thou I wouldn't recommend doing that since it would be a crap shot.

eRondeau
Sep 5, 2007, 10:02 AM
Your iPod is the least of your problems. What you really need, in order, is:

1) A backbone
2) A divorce lawyer
3) A Zune

Did you ever "forbid" your wife to buy anything that she really wanted, and you could afford? Probably not. Then what gives her the idea that she can "forbid" you to buy something that you really want? This is a power play on her part to see if you value her conditional love over your toys. And now after denying you happiness for so long, giving you a new iPod -- today of all days -- is tantamount to emotional torture. These are all symptoms of a deeply troubled marriage. This is way, way past the counselling phase. Call your lawyer. She'll probably demand the new iPod back in the divorce settlement anyway. In fact you'll probably end up smashing it to pieces with a brick so neither one of you can have it. Then in two years when your $600,000 divorce is finally settled, you'll be so emotionally wrecked that you won't be able to stand the idea of ever owning another iPod, so you'll buy the first brown Zune you can find on eBay. Been there, done that, and my Zune has never sounded to sweet. :D

imac/cheese
Sep 5, 2007, 10:08 AM
It seems like you should have communicated your desires to get one of the new iPods when you first thought about it. By not letting her know your plans, you put yourself in a bit of a bind.

PlaceofDis
Sep 5, 2007, 10:18 AM
you do realize she didn't and couldn't have bought it today since its engraved right?
be happy that you got a thoughtful gift, and a loving wife.

plumbingandtech
Sep 5, 2007, 10:22 AM
You sound ungrateful.

eljefe
Sep 5, 2007, 10:22 AM
Your iPod is the least of your problems. What you really need, in order, is:

1) A backbone
2) A divorce lawyer
3) A Zune

Did you ever "forbid" your wife to buy anything that she really wanted, and you could afford? Probably not. Then what gives her the idea that she can "forbid" you to buy something that you really want? This is a power play on her part to see if you value her unreasonable demands over your toys. And now after denying you happiness for so long, giving you a new iPod -- today of all days -- is tantamount to emotional torture. These are all symptoms of a deeply troubled marriage. This is way, way past the counselling phase. Call your lawyer. She'll probably demand the new iPod back in the divorce settlement anyway. In fact you'll probably end up smashing it to pieces with a brick so neither one of you can have it. Then in two years when your $600,000 divorce is finally settled, you'll be so emotionally wrecked that you won't be able to stand the idea of ever owning another iPod, so you'll buy the first brown Zune you can find on eBay. Been there, done that, and my Zune has never sounded to sweet. :D

Wow, thank you for your insightful post. This will all end badly - that much is clear to me now.

Perhaps I'll tuck the divorce papers into the bouquet I hand her tonight.

tdhurst
Sep 5, 2007, 10:24 AM
Yes, bittersweet moment it is.

This is exactly why I have forbidden my family and significant other from buying me anything technology wise. Buy me clothes, buy me food, buy me whatever, but please, please don't buy me anything technological. My tastes are much too fickle to be pleased.

On the OTHER hand, your wife forbade you to buy an iPod with YOUR money? Obviously she's been planning on buying you one for a while, but damn. Put your foot down, dude. I hate it when people buy me "replacement" gifts.

eljefe
Sep 5, 2007, 10:36 AM
Yes, bittersweet moment it is.

This is exactly why I have forbidden my family and significant other from buying me anything technology wise. Buy me clothes, buy me food, buy me whatever, but please, please don't buy me anything technological. My tastes are much too fickle to be pleased.

On the OTHER hand, your wife forbade you to buy an iPod with YOUR money? Obviously she's been planning on buying you one for a while, but damn. Put your foot down, dude. I hate it when people buy me "replacement" gifts.

Yeah, I think I will wait a tasteful amount of time and issue a similar edict: do not buy me gadget gifts. I keep up with the technology, and she doesn't, so there's no way she'll get the right thing.

What's frustrating is that she decided that something that expensive should be a group decision, made by the both of us. So really, she should have told me anyway. I suppose that would have spoiled the surprise.

You know, I thought about putting my foot down when I originally wanted to replace my iPod... but even six months ago, it seemed like a bad time to buy a new iPod. I figured I'd bide my time, wait until the new ones came out, and THEN I'd put my foot down and buy one. Which makes the timing of the gift all the more painful.

And to everybody who keeps calling me ungrateful... I KNOW. I should have made that the title of my thread: "The whining of an ungrateful bastard." I'm not saying I'm RIGHT. But if you have even a tiny bit of Mac-Lust in your blood, you should at least be able to understand me just a little. I'd been waiting for SIX MONTHS for the new iPod, scouring the boards, following the rumors... and the day it comes out, the rug gets pulled out from under me.

Gotta go, divorce attorney calling.

Cal City Kid
Sep 5, 2007, 10:39 AM
My 3G died after being played all day in early May (derby day I think). Now that the new ones are about to be released, my wife is allowing me to purchase a refurb 5.5 IF the price drops.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Don't complain. If you got a 6G, that would get stolen, too! ;)

Dexists
Sep 5, 2007, 10:40 AM
What was the engraving?

eljefe
Sep 5, 2007, 10:42 AM
What was the engraving?

"I bought this pre-historic iPod because I hate you."

That was the subtext, anyway.

tdhurst
Sep 5, 2007, 10:45 AM
Yeah, I think I will wait a tasteful amount of time and issue a similar edict: do not buy me gadget gifts. I keep up with the technology, and she doesn't, so there's no way she'll get the right thing.

What's frustrating is that she decided that something that expensive should be a group decision, made by the both of us. So really, she should have told me anyway. I suppose that would have spoiled the surprise.

Funny how women are the only ones allowed to break their own rules...

My gf and I just made a rule...anything over $200 is discussed, I get to choose the techie stuff and she gets to decide on just about everything else. Buying a replacement is okay, as long as you don't have similar devices already (i.e. no buying a new shuffle for myself if mine broke, as I have a nano as well).

Your wife tried extremely hard to get you a good gift and she should be commended at least for that.

Dexists
Sep 5, 2007, 10:45 AM
Put it in a time capsule or something else with a bunch of stuff telling her it'd be really romantic to dig it up in 10 years (assuming you last that long, which seems...) when technology is so different (if you can say that sincerely with a straight face) , wait a week or two, and then get the new one.

Matteh117
Sep 5, 2007, 10:46 AM
Maybe you should let her know that now it's a waste of money, whereas before it wasn't. :/

Unlucky.

eljefe
Sep 5, 2007, 10:48 AM
Maybe you should let her know that now it's a waste of money, whereas before it wasn't. :/

Right. Oh, the irony.

siurpeeman
Sep 5, 2007, 10:52 AM
But just to rub it in, when has Apple put out a newer iPod that was worse than the one it was replacing?

i think the third generation ipod was a step backwards. sure, the battery lasted longer and it was so much thinner than the two generations before it, but the row of touch sensitive buttons on the top were just so unintuitive.

MacinJosh
Sep 5, 2007, 10:52 AM
I've got new iPod blues. I need to vent.

My iPod was stolen about six months ago. Although I had used it every day, and although I can afford it, my wife forbade me to buy another one, because she thought it was a waste of money. I figured, fine, I'll wait until the new models come out, and then we'll rediscuss whether I'm "allowed" to have an iPod.

Today is my wedding anniversary. Today is also when Apple unveils the new iPods.

This morning, as I got ready to go to work, my wife handed me... an iPod. Which will be obsolete in about three hours. Which she had engraved, so I can't return it. I smiled, said I loved it, cooed and ahhed - while I died on the inside. Go ahead, call me ungrateful. I AM!

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to love my iPod. It's just that I'm going to follow today's proceedings feeling slightly nauseated.

Leave a website with the new models "accidentally" open on the computer for your wife to see. Maybe she'll be like "WTF?? They came out with new models today? We need to return and replace the one I got you!" :)

Joshua.

eljefe
Sep 5, 2007, 10:54 AM
Leave a website with the new models "accidentally" open on the computer for your wife to see. Maybe she'll be like "WTF?? They came out with new models today? We need to return and replace the one I got you!" :)

Joshua.

It's engraved. Can't return it.

sushi
Sep 5, 2007, 10:56 AM
Please kill me
Your wish is my command.

Where shall we meet? ;)

bartelby
Sep 5, 2007, 11:00 AM
"I bought this pre-historic iPod because I hate you."

That was the subtext, anyway.

I think you need to grow up there buddy and pray your wife never sees this thread.

siurpeeman
Sep 5, 2007, 11:03 AM
I think you need to grow up there buddy and pray your wife never sees this thread.

can you imagine? one day she might surprise him with a new mac laptop purchase and decide to come to MR for consultation, stumbling upon this thread. who knows, she might even be reading it right now. :eek: good luck, buddy.

btw, you've got a brand-new ipod that does what it's supposed to, play music. enjoy it, and love your wife.

Blue Velvet
Sep 5, 2007, 11:06 AM
After today's gift, I'd say it's pretty safe to assume she doesn't frequent the MacRumors forums. :D

I'm sure, given the powers at our disposal, that can still be arranged. ;)

eljefe
Sep 5, 2007, 11:08 AM
Your wish is my command.

Where shall we meet? ;)

Finally, someone who cares.

mr_matalino
Sep 5, 2007, 11:10 AM

I think it wouldn't hurt to learn how to empathize...

weg
Sep 5, 2007, 11:11 AM
I smiled, said I loved it, cooed and ahhed - while I died on the inside. Go ahead, call me ungrateful. I AM!

Well, that's why a bl*wj*b makes a much nicer present for such occasions.
It's something you don't get every day, and if you don't like it, no money was wasted.
And it's something you can't buy yourself (or at least, you shouldn't, if you're married ;-)).

GavinTing
Sep 5, 2007, 11:12 AM
Uhh.. Well, All I can suggest is keep it in mint condition, and put it in a display case to.. remember your love.. and hate.. :rolleyes:

siurpeeman
Sep 5, 2007, 11:14 AM

well, if you really wanted someone to kill you, all you'd have to do is show this thread to your wife. :rolleyes:

mrfrosty
Sep 5, 2007, 11:15 AM
This post is the most tragically funny thing i have read for weeks. Brilliant !!

eljefe
Sep 5, 2007, 11:15 AM

Geez, guys.

Can't you see my tongue planted firmly in cheek here?

I LOVE MY WIFE. Enormously. She gave me a great gift.

I simply can't help but feel a LITTLE disappointed, given the timing of the gift. I've hidden the disappointment from my wife. I've shared it with you guys, with ample self-awareness and self-skewering.

So, if you STILL want to try to hurt me, fine. Here's how. Buy me a soon-to-be-outdated G5 tower. I tell you, that would really get my goat.

Schtumple
Sep 5, 2007, 11:18 AM
Honestly, so what if new iPods come out, it's not THAT big of a deal, your wife went to a lot of trouble to get you that iPod, use it, give it 6 months then upgrade, whatever you do, DON'T mention new iPods are coming out today, you'll kill her.... she'll know you lied when she gave it to you, seriously, have a conscience. Learn to restrain yourself man.

sushi
Sep 5, 2007, 11:19 AM
Glad to be of assistance. :)

How shall we dispatch with the work at hand? I prefer close up work.

Much Ado
Sep 5, 2007, 11:22 AM
I'm sure, given the powers at our disposal, that can still be arranged. ;)

Indeed. He underestimates the power of Arn.

Well, that's why a bl*wj*b makes a much nicer present for such occasions.
It's something you don't get every day.

Speak for yourself :D

eljefe
Sep 5, 2007, 11:23 AM
Glad to be of assistance. :)

How shall we dispatch with the work at hand? I prefer close up work.

I see you're into sushi. Funny, because I was considering committing Seppuku ritual suicide. Instead, perhaps you could cleave my head in two, samurai style?

sushi
Sep 5, 2007, 11:32 AM
I see you're into sushi. Funny, because I was considering committing Seppuku ritual suicide. Instead, perhaps you could cleave my head in two, samurai style?
If we do Seppuku, as your second in this particular case, I would need to consult with your wife to determine the time delay. Provided she doesn't see this thread, you will probably get a short delay. However, if she sees this thread, more than likely you will have the opportunity to squirm a bit before I do the deed.

BTW, if I provide you a number and you do the right thing, that will override the wife's input. :)

iSee
Sep 5, 2007, 11:33 AM
I've got new iPod blues. I need to vent. ...

Look man, your new iPod has something even Steve Jobs can't put in a 6G: Love

siurpeeman
Sep 5, 2007, 11:38 AM
Look man, your new iPod has something even Steve Jobs can't put in a 6G: Love

i think you're mistaken (http://thinksecret.com/archives/ipodinterface/web/source/coverflow.html). what can't steve do? :rolleyes:

wongulous
Sep 5, 2007, 11:56 AM
Here's what you do.

Choose if you want to pay $74 to send it in to ColorWare and get it painted (over the engraving). This may net you $74 worth of selling price, or may not.

Sell it on eBay. Maybe you'll get $150-200.

On the day you send it out for the eBay auction, receive the new iPod you've bought, engraved with the exact same thing.

Tell her that you complained to Apple that you bought it one day before and they replaced it with a new one with the same engraving.

You're only out the difference between what she paid retail and the eBay sale, and any difference with the price of a new iPod--and she doesn't think you're ungrateful. Plus you get what actually makes you happy.

Stampyhead
Sep 5, 2007, 12:00 PM
Ok, I'll make a deal with you. I'll go out and buy the latest greatest iPod when (if) it's announced today and I'll trade it to you for your wife. I'd take a kind, loving companion over the latest gadget any day.

But I know you're just venting. Go on, it's ok. We (sort of) feel your pain.

brian0526
Sep 5, 2007, 01:00 PM
Funny how much attention this thread has gotten.

I have a G3 iPod and a G5.5. Both play music equally well. The video's nice and so's the color screen. But, when I'm listening to music, neither matters.

I don't know what's going to be so great about the new ones coming out today. I'm sure they'll be "cool". But, I'll be keeping my money in my pocket as the one I got last Christmas still works just fine and 30 GB is more than enough music to get me through a day trip somewhere.

Your new iPod is not obsolete just because something cooler has come along. I know it kind of sucks to get it on the very day the new ones came out. But, were you planning to buy every generation Apple puts out there just for the sake of having something "cool"?

Peace,
Brian

mcarnes
Sep 5, 2007, 01:15 PM
:rolleyes: Women.

eljefe
Sep 5, 2007, 01:22 PM
Your new iPod is not obsolete just because something cooler has come along. I know it kind of sucks to get it on the very day the new ones came out. But, were you planning to buy every generation Apple puts out there just for the sake of having something "cool"?

Nope. I couldn't care less about the "cool factor."

I DO care that, had I bought an iPod now, I could have doubled my storage space for the same amount of money. Or I could have spent less money for the exact same iPod.

You're right, though, I shouldn't have called my iPod "obsolete." That was a bit of hyperbole.

MacinJosh
Sep 5, 2007, 01:31 PM
It's engraved. Can't return it.

Oh, right. I didn't notice that in your original post. Dude, that's harsh especially since the iPod line update was so dramatic too. I really feel for ya.

Joshua.

wongulous
Sep 5, 2007, 01:32 PM
You're obviously not ungrateful and clearly by this post you know that there is a conflict between (a) a meaningful gift and the feelings of your wife about that gift/meaning and (b) getting what you really wanted, getting what's new/cool/best, and getting the best value for your money... as well as picking your own special item that is a part of one of your biggest hobbies.

It was a thoughtful gift, but it kinda backfired.. but it was still thoughtful! (See my post, last of page 2, for a suggestion.)

I wish people would quit giving you guilt like you aren't grateful, loving, etc. Sheesh.

brian0526
Sep 5, 2007, 01:38 PM
Nope. I couldn't care less about the "cool factor."

I DO care that, had I bought an iPod now, I could have doubled my storage space for the same amount of money. Or I could have spent less money for the exact same iPod.

You're right, though, I shouldn't have called my iPod "obsolete." That was a bit of hyperbole.

I know what you're saying. It's the whole opportunity thing. It's why I waited for six months before buying my new iMac last month. I didn't want to buy one and then find out the next day I could have gotten the same thing for less money.

I just read the specs on the new iPods. They are cool. I wish I could justify getting one. But, probably not. Since I just use my iPod for playing music (really don't even use the pictures or video), the 30 GB I have is already overkill for what I really need. And the prices, whoa! They're not too far from an iPhone which I can't justify either.

Peace,
Brian

eljefe
Sep 5, 2007, 02:29 PM
It was a thoughtful gift, but it kinda backfired.. but it was still thoughtful! (See my post, last of page 2, for a suggestion.)

Yeah, I saw your suggestions... thank you very much.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll go through all that effort. I don't absolutely need/want the latest & greatest. The whole point is I could have gotten a better iPod for the same amount of money (or the same iPod for less money). If I can't upgrade without spending a significant amount of cash (and time), it's not really worth it.

So, as it stands, I've seen the new iPods, and I have suffered. Worse fates have befallen many a man, however, and I'll learn to cope with my pain, in time, with therapy.

In the meantime, I'm going to keep my new iPod... AND my wife. And I will cherish them both forevermore. Barring theft/battery mulfunction.

SimplyKen
Sep 5, 2007, 02:53 PM
Today is my wedding anniversary.

Go ahead, call me ungrateful. I AM!

Eljefe,

This is your wife, you ungrateful prick.

No sex for 6 months.

Seriously dude, buy an applecare program, drop that thing in a bathtub, call em up and tell them it just up and died for no reason, then see if you can do a switcheroo type thing and get a touch.

SimplyKen
Sep 5, 2007, 02:56 PM
In the meantime, I'm going to keep my new iPod... AND my wife. And I will cherish them both forevermore. Barring theft/battery mulfunction.

Your wife runs on batteries?

eljefe
Sep 5, 2007, 03:01 PM
Your wife runs on batteries?

Yes.

I'm a bit of a gadget geek. I thought that was obvious.

steamboat26
Sep 5, 2007, 03:05 PM
I can relate to your troubles. My sisters boyfriend just bought a new 30 GB iPod last week, even though i told him that new ones were probably going to be released this week.
It's not really the same thing as getting the last gen iPod for your anniversary, but kinda relates.

milo
Sep 5, 2007, 03:21 PM
This thread is pretty hilarious.

I guess next time you have an anniversary or similar thing coming up, just come out and tell her exactly what you'd like to get ahead of time.

And I think it is a good idea to make it clear that any purchases of "tech" stuff are very particular to you and that you'd like to be involved with picking out exactly which one you want.

Bummer of a situation, she meant well but bought at the worst possible time.

At least tell her that Apple dropped prices so she can at least get refunded the difference.

The Stig
Sep 5, 2007, 03:48 PM
Everybody is kind of hating on you. But I feel for you.

The Stig