Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
I read an article on Macnn that said Steve gets paid around $219 Million. Now, what does one do with that amount of money? Does he really have the time to enjoy all that money?

Does anyone think that if Steve used $100 Million of his salary and gave it to R&D and advertising the higher profits achieved would make Apple's stock price rise enough so perhaps he would make $100 Million more in the market?

I know all the things he's done for Apple and how he brought them back but surely half of his salary could do wonders for the company. At what point, as an executive, should you invest in the future of the company and not yourself?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
To my knowledge, Steve is Paid $1 in Salary by Apple. Any other money is Bonuses, due to high sales, great products, etc.
Plus he gets a full sallary from Pixar, and has a huge stock portfolio with a lots of Dividends.

TEG

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Well, i think that's what it comes out to be, but his actual salary is $1. At least it was for a long time. The man has his fingers in lots of pies, and Apple pays for everything for him... There was a thread on this a while ago, but i say, if he makes that much money... more power to him. He's had an interesting life to say the least, and he's taken a lot of risks to get where he is now. That deserves rewarding, it's the rule of capitalism. So basically, he could cash it out and lay around naked on a big pile of money, for all i care...

and no, this doesn't apply to people worth over a billion dollars.

:)
pnw

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
He does officially make $1 in salary, but wih his stock options and his GulfStream Jet (with pilot salaries too, of course), he comes out pretty far ahead.

Regards,
Gus

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
If I made that kind of money, I would have my own space program. I would be walking on the moon in 10 years. :)

What would you guys do with Steve's Salary?

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Re: Job's Salary...

Originally posted by NavyIntel007
At what point, as an executive, should you invest in the future of the company and not yourself?
Well, I remember those dark years when Steve wasn't at Apple -- beige boxes, anemic chips, a stunted attempt at OS licensing -- it wasn't pretty.

If Steve wanted to suck money out of Apple with a neo-L'Etat?-C'Est-moi attitude, it's not clear to me that we'd have a whole to complain about. He tried turning over the bridge to No. 1. All we got was a decaying orbit.

In fact, I think that Steve loves Apple Computer much more like a child than like a money-making machine. Is he going to suck it dry and leave us the husk? Not if he can help it -- but I have yet to see signs that there's someone who can really take over the chocolate factory after Mr. Wonka is gone.

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
I just finished reading the Second Coming of Steve Jobs, which was quite enlightening about stuff like this. He does only make $1 in actual salary, only to keep the health care that Apple provides, but he did accept a huge amount of stock and the jet (and they even paid for the taxes on the jet, etc), so he certainly made money on it.

What I thought was interesting was how he handled Pixar, which the book goes into in depth. He kept the VAST majority of the Pixar stock instead of spreading the wealth with all of the employees.

The man is a visionary, but that book certainly paints him as a class A jerk as well.

Anyway, it's an interesting read!

Alia

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Originally posted by alia
He kept the VAST majority of the Pixar stock instead of spreading the wealth with all of the employees.

The man is a visionary, but that book certainly paints him as a class A jerk as well.
Man -- tough crowd where you have to choose between being an anal-expulsive compulsive giver or being a class A jerk! So he kept the Pixar stock -- big deal. You could make a strong argument that before Finding Nemo, Pixar stock was very risky and a questionable gift....

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
i'd buy and run a mlb baseball team... maybe not buy it but buy enough of one to have a controlling interest...

or go to vegas and play high stakes texas hold'em. :D

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
With that much money.... hmmm...

1983 Delorean D1 (aka back to the future car).
760i BMW
A huge sail boat (with a dock in NC and FL, see below)
My own building at U of Miami
Box seats for UM games
Gulfstream baby!!!
Penthouse condo on south beach
Mountain home done in a log cabin manner in North Carolina (ala Frank Lloyd Wright)
both with all the fixings
"Speakers so loud they blow women's clothes off"

And

A chic-fil-A and a smoothie king

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
Originally posted by idea_hamster
Man -- tough crowd where you have to choose between being an anal-expulsive compulsive giver or being a class A jerk! So he kept the Pixar stock -- big deal. You could make a strong argument that before Finding Nemo, Pixar stock was very risky and a questionable gift....

Well... when he took Pixar public after Toy Story, there were people who had been working there 20 years, since before George Lucas owned it, who got the big shaft. The Pixar stock took him to billionaire status within months of IPOing... anyway, that isn't necessarily why I think he's a jerk.

I think he just happens to treat people like crap. Of course, I've never met the man, so I can't really make any claims about his personality firsthand. Although, after reading that book, I don't WANT to meet him.

This doesn't in any way change my opinion of Macs being great, or Jobs saving Apple or any of that.

Alia

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
well id build a huge house like bill gates's home but larger more advanced with clean lines.. and coolness all over! . OFCOURSE run by Xserves and such..

id also start a Render Farm Company.. based on new g5 Xserves..

or build the worlds fastest super computer based on new g5 xserves.. that is 10 times faster then the fastest current.

anyways...

i also want a MClaren F1

maybe start a CatScan or some specialty scanning lab.. that runs cheap.. for the public

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
I could give almost every person in the US 1 dollar. Or I could just keep it and be one rich mo-fo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.