PDA

View Full Version : New iPod Nano Released

MacRumors
Sep 5, 2007, 12:57 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple released a new iPod nano at the "Beat Goes On" special media event held at the Moscone West event hall in San Francisco today. Specs for the new device are as follows:
• Incredibly smaller
• New colors: (RED), silver, light blue, teal & green
• Full Metal design
• New User Interface - includes Cover Flow
• Three games bundled - includes Vortex
• Video-capable
• Cover Flow
• 2" screen, with brigher, QVGA resolution (320x240) - highest pixel density Apple's ever shipped
• 4GB - US$149
• 8GB - US$199
• 24 hours of audio playback, 5 hours video playback
• Shipping Today
• Both models compatible with Nike+ running kit

Tagline for the new nano is "A little video for everyone." The revised nano had been previously rumored (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/04/the-beat-goes-on-rumor-roundup/).

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/05/new-ipod-story-2/)

mrchainsaw5757
Sep 5, 2007, 01:00 PM
thats so awesome! and cheap! i need to see it now

stuff99
Sep 5, 2007, 01:01 PM
I think the previous gen's ipods looked nicer

bigandy
Sep 5, 2007, 01:04 PM
nice design, great colours, and fantastic price :)

thejadedmonkey
Sep 5, 2007, 01:04 PM
Looks like I'll be getting a 6gen iPod since they still haven't given the nano's more then 8 friggin gigs!!!

anti-microsoft
Sep 5, 2007, 01:19 PM
Right!! Even if my parents are against it, I'm going to save up and buy one!! THey are SOOO cheap!!!

maccam
Sep 5, 2007, 01:20 PM
I'm ordering this tonight!!!! SWEET!!!!!!!

mkrishnan
Sep 5, 2007, 01:21 PM
So it's really "incredibly smaller" than the 2nd gen Nano?

It sounds quite impressive. I guess the problem with liquidating my current Nano is that I'll need a new armband, yada, yada.... But really my current Nano is perfect for my needs now anyway. :o So I'm not upset with myself for having gotten it three months ago. :p At all. :o No.

sparks9
Sep 5, 2007, 01:24 PM
Same price as old nano?

ziwi
Sep 5, 2007, 01:27 PM
iPod Squattie? :) I do not know if I am down with the new form factor yet. long and thing vs short and fat...:eek:

Ember Whimsy
Sep 5, 2007, 01:29 PM
I'm so thrilled they introduced this in TEAL, my favorite color. Just wow <3

BoyBach
Sep 5, 2007, 01:31 PM
Damn you Apple!

I want it but I cannot afford/justify spending money on a new iPod!

Damn you Apple! Damn you straight to hell!

:mad:

:D

johnmcboston
Sep 5, 2007, 01:32 PM
So am I the only one under-impressed? Maybe they look better in person???

Doctor Q
Sep 5, 2007, 01:33 PM
Same price as old nano?Old nano lineup:$149 for 2GB
$199 for 4GB
$249 for 8GBNew nano lineup:$149 for 4GB
$199 for 8GB

cliffjumper68
Sep 5, 2007, 01:34 PM
iPod Squattie? :) I do not know if I am down with the new form factor yet. long and thing vs short and fat...:eek:

no fat jokes now! i like the old one better:apple:

kddpop
Sep 5, 2007, 01:35 PM
im guessing that these new fatties will not be included in the promo for a freebie with a mac purchase. anyone have any specifics on that??

~kyle

SactoGuy18
Sep 5, 2007, 01:37 PM
I like the design of the new nano. :) Should I get this or spend $50 more to get the iPod Classic 80 GB, which now has an impressive 30 hours playback time for audio (that's more than my current iPod! :eek: )

bloodycape
Sep 5, 2007, 01:39 PM
Odd there is no 16gig model considering that is slowly becoming the standard.

chrisgeleven
Sep 5, 2007, 01:47 PM
Odd there is no 16gig model considering that is slowly becoming the standard.

If I had to guess, there must be supply issues with the 16GB flash chips. Else I don't see why Apple couldn't put 16GB in the nano and iPhone (instead of just the touch).

mkrishnan
Sep 5, 2007, 01:52 PM
If I had to guess, there must be supply issues with the 16GB flash chips.

Apple is like a giant vacuum pump at the door of the Flash industry, so availability demands are probably a good guess. Apple's margins are better on the higher up iPods and the iPhone, so they probably get primo availability within Apple's pool of flash memory.

Aaargh!
Sep 5, 2007, 01:53 PM
No TV-output on this or the iPod Touch ??

milo
Sep 5, 2007, 01:54 PM
So video output via cable or no?

Doesn't look like it from the nano specs page, but it doesn't list it for the ipod classic either. Does that mean they're not telling, or that they removed it from the classic?

CWallace
Sep 5, 2007, 01:54 PM
That Photoshop mock-up from yesterday actually made it look kind of "ok", but the reality is still really ugly.

But hey, I'm not interested in it so I don't really care what it looks like. For those who do get one, enjoy! :)

anti-microsoft
Sep 5, 2007, 01:57 PM

I dunno, I hope so!!

milo
Sep 5, 2007, 01:59 PM

Apple doesn't even list it on the specs page for the classic. Is that feature totally gone, or do they just not mention it?

phytonix
Sep 5, 2007, 02:06 PM
I think the colors are pretty bad, overall.
At least worse than before.
No Orange?
Apple does not like Orange.

Bimmi
Sep 5, 2007, 02:21 PM
Fug-o-lee. And I don't see how "shorter + wider" adds up to "incredibly smaller."

Nice intros for the rest of the lineup (shuffle excluded), but I think Apple really screwed the pooch with this one.

Orng
Sep 5, 2007, 02:25 PM

I'm under-impressed by the colours. I like the OS though. But the colours stink. If I need to get a new shuffle or nano, I'll be shopping for a skin to hide the shame.

mandoman
Sep 5, 2007, 02:27 PM
I'm ok with the fat form factor, hate the colors though.
Worth it though for all the upgrades (video, games, coverflow,
new os). This is a great update!

Gosh
Sep 5, 2007, 02:29 PM
It ain't big but it's gonna be!

I think it's the best looking iPod by far!

It's so damn small - great spec and UI brilliant!

I'm getting on just got to decide on the color!

milo
Sep 5, 2007, 02:45 PM

Found the info, all the new models have it, although it looks like it requires a different (and more expensive $49) cable and comes out through the dock port instead of the video port.

"Note: Component video output to television is supported by iPod nano (third generation) and iPod classic at 480p or 576p resolution, and by iPod touch at 480i or 576i resolution."

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=184EAE7D&nplm=MB128LL/A

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=185CC5FE&nplm=MB129LL/A

Mgkwho
Sep 5, 2007, 02:48 PM
Incredibly smaller? It's the same thickness. And it's wider. Not as ugly as the spy shots, but still kinda odd.

I felt that way about the new iMac. So maybe it's better in person?

-=|Mgkwho

Zygon Gambit
Sep 5, 2007, 02:49 PM
Pity about the colours, though. The last Nano ones were much better: these are a bit dull.

Padraig
Sep 5, 2007, 03:07 PM
Pity about the colours, though. The last Nano ones were much better: these are a bit dull.

Pity about the scratch magnet at the back.

johnmcboston
Sep 5, 2007, 03:30 PM
Pity about the scratch magnet at the back.

I hadn't noticed that yet. The one piece aluminum is so cool - why go with the silver crap. ugh. :)

BennyK
Sep 5, 2007, 03:33 PM
im guessing that these new fatties will not be included in the promo for a freebie with a mac purchase. anyone have any specifics on that??

~kyle

The new ones are not included - http://www.apple.com/backtoschool/faq.html

nexsta
Sep 5, 2007, 03:38 PM
the new ipod phatty ahhm i mean nano commercial :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuoHKRReLSQ

bdkennedy1
Sep 5, 2007, 03:48 PM
I remember a week ago when almost everyone was making fun of this thing in forums everywhere. People saying that better not be it, and now just because Steve touched it, everyone wants one.

It was ugly a week ago and it still is.

Porchland
Sep 5, 2007, 03:54 PM

Fugly. I don't like the click wheel sitting in all that white space. Makes the whole thing look sort of squat.

Bimmi
Sep 5, 2007, 04:04 PM
It's the rounded edges that kill it for me... makes it look like an oversized Chiclet. The fake mockup with the squared top and bottom was much more attractive, I think.

The pics on Apple.com don't even look like photographs, so I guess this'll be another case of "maybe it'll look better in person." Still a marked de-evolution in terms of industrial design as far as I'm concerned.

kddpop
Sep 5, 2007, 04:04 PM
These ipods are included. Starting today, The rebate changed to $149 and you can either get the 4GB free (as you could prior to the anonucement) or you can apply the $149 to a bigger nano. Not sure if you can apply it to the classic or touch models.

i was very excited to read your post. i put a macbook in the shopping cart and chose the ipod rebate option. the new nanos are not reflected on the rebate page. do you have a link from apple stating that these new ones are indeed included in the rebate?

thanks,
~kyle

this from the rebate info sheet on apple's site:
Please be advised that Apple announced new iPods on September 5, 2007. These new iPods are not eligible for the Back to School promotion. Rebate claims submitted in conjunction with these products will not be honored.

twoodcc
Sep 5, 2007, 04:08 PM
i don't know how running with this thing will be. i do want to check one out at the store though

Squeak825
Sep 5, 2007, 04:10 PM
These ipods are included. Starting today, The rebate changed to $149 and you can either get the 4GB free (as you could prior to the anonucement) or you can apply the $149 to a bigger nano. Not sure if you can apply it to the classic or touch models.

That is wrong! It only applies to the old Nano and iPod Video's. They are very explicit about it.

http://www.apple.com/backtoschool/faq.html

BennyK
Sep 5, 2007, 04:11 PM
i was very excited to read your post. i put a macbook in the shopping cart and chose the ipod rebate option. the new nanos are not reflected on the rebate page. do you have a link from apple stating that these new ones are indeed included in the rebate?

thanks,
~kyle

Man, I appologize, I misread or read to fast. I am sorry, that these new ones are not included, what happened is the price of the old ones dropped.

Again, sorry to get your hopes up.

kddpop
Sep 5, 2007, 04:15 PM
Man, I appologize, I misread or read to fast. I am sorry, that these new ones are not included, what happened is the price of the old ones dropped.

Again, sorry to get your hopes up.

the price of the old ones dropped and so did the rebate....
its still cool....you can still get a 4gigger for nothing and an 8gigger for $50.

oh well,
~kyle

hayesk
Sep 5, 2007, 04:29 PM
I remember a week ago when almost everyone was making fun of this thing in forums everywhere. People saying that better not be it, and now just because Steve touched it, everyone wants one.

I said it looked good last week, and think it looks good now. People, white space is ok. Every square inch of the thing doesn't have to have a control on it.

Everyone who is upset about the empty space around the touch wheel has homework: go look up the Microsoft iPod video and watch it. White space is good.

kddpop
Sep 5, 2007, 04:31 PM
go look up the Microsoft iPod video and watch it. White space is good.

am i the only one confused by this?

~kyle

Green Lantern
Sep 5, 2007, 04:42 PM
You know what really sucks....I just bought a 4GB nano, 15 days ago!. I paid $199 for it. :mad:

Kedrik
Sep 5, 2007, 04:45 PM
I'm unclear, is the new Nano OSX based? If it is and is also flash, what would keep you from using the Nike+ with the touch or i-phone. If it isn't, wasn't there some info about moving to an all OSX based lineup? I can see why the HDD i-pods wouldn't work with Nike+, but I'm not sure about the other flash based i-pods. Anyone want to venture a guess? :confused:

Kedrik
Sep 5, 2007, 04:48 PM
You know what really sucks....I just bought a 4GB nano, 15 days ago!. I paid $199 for it. :mad:

Hey, I bought a 4GB i-phone 18 days ago for $499, That's what sucks!

bloodycape
Sep 5, 2007, 05:03 PM
If I had to guess, there must be supply issues with the 16GB flash chips. Else I don't see why Apple couldn't put 16GB in the nano and iPhone (instead of just the touch).

I doubt it, since a small company like Cowon can have 16gig flash player out or Creative have to devices with 16gigs of flash. This is Apple a company with a lot clout.

liketom
Sep 5, 2007, 05:09 PM
anyone got an idea what song that is in the nano ad??

kinda catchy

Project
Sep 5, 2007, 05:25 PM
You know what. They have grown on me a lot. once you actually see them, they are tiny as hell.

Gosh
Sep 5, 2007, 05:36 PM
anyone got an idea what song that is in the nano ad??

kinda catchy

1234 Feist!

Ultimatetone
Sep 5, 2007, 05:42 PM
Found the info, all the new models have it, although it looks like it requires a different
(and more expensive $49) cable and comes out through the dock port instead of the video port.

"Note: Component video output to television is supported by iPod nano (third generation)
and iPod classic at 480p or 576p resolution, and by iPod touch at 480i or 576i resolution."

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=185CC5FE&nplm=MB129LL/A

Much appreciated Milo!

Now I just need another ($$)adapter/converter(exists?) in order to tether a 3rd Gen Nano
to the 'low-tech' composite, video-in port of my portable DVD player
(to make use of its larger screen)

Perhaps a portable DVD player with component INPUT? Doubt it. Silly me!

I gotta hand it to Jobs (sarcasm) -

While TEAL is a sweet new color
(a Turquoise and Chrome combo would have been killer)

But -

ya can't get basic black (or any other color but the silver/grey)

unless you pony-up the XTRA coin for the 8GB Nano - it figures!

lseven
Sep 5, 2007, 05:51 PM
I wouldn't say it is "incredibly smaller". It is just a hair smaller in volume than the previous nano, about 2.5%. It is also heavier:

2g nano: 3.5 inches x 1.6 x 0.27, 1.5 ounces
3g nano: 2.75 x 2.06 x 0.26, 1.74 ounces

Still of course much better, with the larger screen, video, lower price, etc. Just not smaller.

AppleiMac
Sep 5, 2007, 05:57 PM
Wow, 9to5Mac gets a lot of credibility out of this one! They really have been spot on lately, from the iMac announcement, iPod Touch AND iPod Nano. Apple did everything right in this, from my opinion! They did MUCH more then expected. An iPod for everyone! :) Phoneless iPhone (for me I was expecting, but with the iPhone price drop I'm not sure), iPod Classic for those wanting a huge amount of space, Nano for those who want to watch video in a small size for a good price and Shuffle for those who don't want a lot of space or don't have the $$. Wireless iTunes? Who thought that would happen! Man, I'm pumped! :apple:

oceanzen
Sep 5, 2007, 06:06 PM
The click wheel looks out of place. Sort of squeezed in.

I loved the 2g version
but don't like this fat 3g
I wanted to get a Nano as my 4GB Mini had plenty of storage for me, but now I think I'll go with the touch which looks so much fun. :)

chubad
Sep 5, 2007, 06:34 PM
Johnny is losing his design mojo. Those are stinking ugly. First the new iMac. Now these little fat pastel turds. Strike two.:rolleyes:

firestarter
Sep 5, 2007, 07:03 PM
No buy for me.

I bought the original 1G nano (black 4gigs) then bought the 2G (black 8gigs) when it was released.

I would have been all over a 16G iPod 'phat'. The touch is cool and all, but my iPod lives in my pocket where I can skip tracks and adjust volume without looking at it. The touch isn't as good an interface for day to day music listening.

bdkennedy1
Sep 5, 2007, 07:22 PM
Ummmm, return it?

arn
Sep 5, 2007, 07:38 PM

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com

wouldn't have helped you with the iphone, but ipods were due.

arn

phytonix
Sep 5, 2007, 09:05 PM
Well the color is good. Much better than the leaked. But I doubt these colors are better than 2g.

Also I am glad I have 2g. These 3g only have color on one side. The other side is just metal silver mirror like... which is like... finger prints...

SactoGuy18
Sep 5, 2007, 09:36 PM
Also I am glad I have 2g. These 3g only have color on one side. The other side is just metal silver mirror like... which is like... finger prints...

Which is not a worry for me since I do plan to get a protective case for the 3G iPod soon after I buy the player (I have a DLO case for my 2G nano right now).

Virgil-TB2
Sep 5, 2007, 10:16 PM
I'm unclear, is the new Nano OSX based? If it is and is also flash, what would keep you from using the Nike+ with the touch or i-phone. If it isn't, wasn't there some info about moving to an all OSX based lineup? I can see why the HDD i-pods wouldn't work with Nike+, but I'm not sure about the other flash based i-pods. Anyone want to venture a guess? :confused:I noticed this also.

Previous to the show everyone was talking about "the new OS-X iPods."

As far as I recall (I only watched it once so far), Jobs specifically did *not* mention that the new iPods, (especially the clickwheel ones), were running OS-X. Now you would think if they just switched their entire iPod line to OS-X, they would trumpet it to the heavens, because he sure made a big enough deal about it at the iPhone launch.

Is this just a given now and doesn't need to be mentioned, or do these new iPods not really run OS-X?

Kallikinos
Sep 5, 2007, 10:44 PM
Cons: Fat and Ugly, More Memory?

Pros: It plays videos! More games for it! Bigger screen!

Even though it's fat and ugly, what do you expect if you want a good video experience. I would get one if I wasn't interested in getting an iPod touch this Christmas.

Virgil-TB2
Sep 5, 2007, 10:45 PM
I'm so thrilled they introduced this in TEAL, my favorite color. Just wow <3(sorry that's not "teal" it's just pastel blue)

Colour appreciation is of course subjective, but personally I think Apple should just stick to black and white products and variations of materials.

The old colours were so electric that no one with any taste, or who is over the age of 30 could seriously buy a coloured iPod. Now the colours are more subdued, but they've gone all the way to pastel!?! Pastels were really cool in ... wait a minute, were pastels *ever* cool? I don't think so.

What the heck is wrong with just normal colours? Normal red, orange, yellow, blue, or purple? The new shuffles have a few good colours, the grape and the orange shuffles are great and lots of folks would buy a nano that colour as well. While we're at it, why not use some real-life *complex* colours like strange tones of grey, or yes, even *brown* tones? :eek:

Even if the colour choice is limited due to the manufacturing process and the material, well ... the material is the same as the new shuffle and the old nano; it's aluminum. So why discontinue the old colours? Why not let people still choose that overused lime green colour from the old lineup, or let people like me go for the orange or purple colours of the shuffle?

When I first saw the new nanos today I even started to reverse my opinion of their squat ugliness and considered buying one. Then I realised that powder blue and pastel green were pretty much non-starters for anyone with an ounce of testosterone in their blood. Other than monochrome, the only other choice is a kind of "lipstick red?"

WTF!?! :confused:

sushi
Sep 5, 2007, 10:53 PM
Old nano lineup:$149 for 2GB
$199 for 4GB
$199 for 8GB
Nice price points. :)

However, last week the rumored iPod Nano was made of plastic. The actual new iPod Nano is all metal.

Anyhow, looking forward to actually seeing it. Then will decide.

ZorPrime
Sep 5, 2007, 10:54 PM
$199 for 4GB
$199 for 8GB

Darn it! I bought two nano's three weeks ago... that's what i get for not having followed this site :mad: luckily, my fiance likes the new ones, aka wants one... so she won't be too upset when I buy two more (for each of us)... now if I could only explain only getting one iPod touch... :confused:

ZorPrime
Sep 5, 2007, 11:00 PM
(sorry that's not "teal" it's just pastel blue)

When I first saw the new nanos today I even started to reverse my opinion of their squat ugliness and considered buying one. Then I realised that powder blue and pastel green were pretty much non-starters for anyone with an ounce of testosterone in their blood. Other than monochrome, the only other choice is a kind of "lipstick red?"

WTF!?! :confused:

Okay, that's funny. ROFL :D The iPod touch has some testicular-fortitude ;) Unfortunately, the entry fee for manhood is pretty steep :(

Mac One
Sep 5, 2007, 11:09 PM
Cool! I like the way they made it similar to the "Classic" iPod, especially with the polished back. I'm not to fond of the Red colour though - it's too maroon. I'd probably still buy it in Red though:)

vega07
Sep 5, 2007, 11:28 PM
Am I the only one who dislikes the new OS? It looks ugly and cramped to me, especially with the split screens.

DaftUnion
Sep 6, 2007, 03:54 AM
Looks good but I don't think I'll ever be buying one of these due to space.

zen
Sep 6, 2007, 04:23 AM

My first gen, black nano with chrome back positively owns the new design. I'll take long and thin any time thanks.

And the new colours? Good grief! Hideous.

dalvin200
Sep 6, 2007, 04:29 AM
i don't actually mind this new design..

granted i probably prefer the 2g nano design (which is what I am currently listened to right now),

but i will reserve judgement till my 3g nano arrives in a few days time.
mainly interested in it as it plays video..

will benefit me in the gym - i can catch up on all those podcasts and tv shows instead of having to watch them at home..

iShak
Sep 6, 2007, 04:51 AM
I wonder how these small dimensions will affect the clickwheel operation, I don't see how I'll hold the nano while using my thumb around that little clickwheel ... and it will get even worse if this thing is super light.

anyway, I am sure it won't be that bad, I'll go and have a look at the Apple store tomorrow .. I am especially excited about the screen.

MacPanda
Sep 6, 2007, 05:03 AM
i really think the new colours are the worst colours i have seen on a device - they look almost sony like they are really vile and i think they should have never used these colours - but they will sell - i miss the vibrance and the cool strong colours like they came just out of a rainbow - the old apple rainbow logo that is ... :(

Bimmi
Sep 6, 2007, 05:16 AM
Re the colors: I don't mind them too much, but neither do they appeal. I will note, however, (in a purely anecdotal sense) that all the nano owners I know are women. Perhaps this is enough of a thang for Apple to have noticed as well.

Real mens only wear silver and black, of course. Or white. Red too. And occasionally, Bondi Blue.

anti-microsoft
Sep 6, 2007, 05:57 AM
About nano being ONLY for women...
They probably are aimed at kids and teens 'cos of the low price and all the functionalities...

Greenjeens
Sep 6, 2007, 06:15 AM
$199 for 4GB
$199 for 8GB

Thanks for posting the prices. I hadn't seen it in b&w yet. This is very exciting!
Every month it seems the price for flash memory has been dropping, if anyone had been watching the bottom fall out of the flash memory market, it was obvious how out of step Apple's pricing was for such a small capacity storage device. With the flash price decline at the same time ever larger capacity flash chips were being announced, the future looks _VERY_ bright for mobile music lovers. Maybe the other anti lossy encoder nuts will finally have a tiny rugged portable itunes player at a reasonable cost with decent capacity?

There isn't much more inside those devices than a screen, battery, micro board and flash chip ..is there? Maybe the shape would make it easier to fit a a user serviceable battery compartment...but I'm wildly speculating here! The last or at least largest oversight IMO to low cost maintenence.

In the next generation of laptops there will be a choice of Flash Based Storage (Drive?) options, for even further reductions in size, not to mention ruggedness. No more platters spinning at rediculously high rates of RPM with little arms flayling around reading the data at tolerances within microns.

LOL; many of you will be explaining how computer data was stored on spinning metal discs, in the old days, to your bewildered kids and grand kids!

For further hard drive history appreciation, check out...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_IBM_disk_storage#IBM_3340-

-
Grenjeens

Sweetbike40
Sep 6, 2007, 08:42 AM
I think the new Nanos are adorable. They look so tiny and thin. I love little things like this. I think the colors will look much better in person and i think overall, they will look sweet in person. I'm just disappointed and shocked that there isn't a 16g version. I thought there was a 8gig prior????? Was there? I was looking online but now can't find the "old" ones.

I've ordered a Touch because of the Wi-Fi but hope it doesn't aggravate me finding hot spots to enjoy it.

But if they came out with a Nano 16g today, i would have chosen that.

For sure within 6 months or sooner the 16g will be out.

Tom B.
Sep 6, 2007, 09:47 AM
I really like them, and I'm sure their looks will grow on me, but my only worry is that the new nano will need a a case to protect the shiny back. If so, that's a shame because I loved the way the previous nanos didn't need a case. But I will buy one anyway.

I think I will sell my 30GB 5G and old 8GB nano, so that I have enough money to get a new 8GB nano and a 16GB touch. :D

jhershauer
Sep 6, 2007, 10:03 AM
I've ordered a Touch because of the Wi-Fi but hope it doesn't aggravate me finding hot spots to enjoy it.

But if they came out with a Nano 16g today, i would have chosen that.

I was also disappointed that there's not a 16gb Nano. I left my old Nano on a plane a few weeks ago and was waiting for this announcement to buy my replacement. I figured I'd be able to get a 12 or 16gb for $250.

I'm thinking your statements above might have something to do with their decision to only release 4/8gb Nanos...a 16gb Nano may have eaten into the sales of iPod Touch.

Oh well...I'm going to go ahead and buy an 8gb Nano. It's twice the memory of my old one, with more features and the same price, so I can't complain too much.

stompy
Sep 6, 2007, 10:23 AM
I really like them, and I'm sure their looks will grow on me, but my only worry is that the new nano will need a a case to protect the shiny back. If so, that's a shame because I loved the way the previous nanos didn't need a case. But I will buy one anyway.

Same here.

But since I'm still waiting to get accustomed to the short / wide look, I took the actual dimensions of the phatty in hand, and did a quick mash up of what the nano might have been, if Apple had turned the screen sideways--assuming the insides would allow it. I was surprised to see a nano exactly the same width as the gen 2 nano, .3 inches shorter.

mashup: 1.6" x 3.22"
gen 2: 1.6" x 3.5"
phatty: 2.06" x 2.75"

The almost exact 1:2 ratio of the mashup actually looked slightly better than the gen 2 dimensions. Certainly, Apple designers considered this, maybe they didn't like turning the nano sideways for video viewing (physical controls vs. iPhone/iPod touch virtual controls)?

Then again, the phatty is only .5" wider. I can see getting one for my daughter this Christmas.

hayesk
Sep 6, 2007, 10:49 AM
I would have been all over a 16G iPod 'phat'. The touch is cool and all, but my iPod lives in my pocket where I can skip tracks and adjust volume without looking at it. The touch isn't as good an interface for day to day music listening.

Does it not come with the "pinch" headphones that the iPhone does? That'd be nice if it did. Volume on the iPhone are physical buttons on the side so that's not really an issue.

BennyK
Sep 6, 2007, 11:51 AM
When will these be in the Apple stores?

milo
Sep 6, 2007, 11:56 AM
Much appreciated Milo!

Now I just need another ($$)adapter/converter(exists?) in order to tether a 3rd Gen Nano
to the 'low-tech' composite, video-in port of my portable DVD player
(to make use of its larger screen)

They sell a composite cable as well.

iFalcon
Sep 6, 2007, 12:06 PM
The Apple Store in Iowa has received the new nanos.

papadopolis1024
Sep 6, 2007, 12:08 PM
Well I am going to get me one of these in silver or black not sure yet will have to see in person to really decide and then get a touch iPod for myself next month (birthday)

chillywilly
Sep 6, 2007, 12:53 PM
I'm thinking your statements above might have something to do with their decision to only release 4/8gb Nanos...a 16gb Nano may have eaten into the sales of iPod Touch.

Oh well...I'm going to go ahead and buy an 8gb Nano. It's twice the memory of my old one, with more features and the same price, so I can't complain too much.
I think you are right. A 16gb nano *could* have taken away a sale of a 16gb touch. Maybe not every time, but it could have happened.

Once the iPod touch gets up to 32gb, then I think we'll see a 16gb nano.... UNLESS... there's only room in the nano for two 4gb flash chips. If that's the case, then it will have to be two 8gb flash chips (assuming they are the same size).

papadopolis1024
Sep 6, 2007, 03:55 PM
It is odd talking about something eating into iPod touch sales cause for so long we said it was going to eat into the iPhone.

chillywilly
Sep 6, 2007, 04:26 PM
It is odd talking about something eating into iPod touch sales cause for so long we said it was going to eat into the iPhone.
True, but for everyone that is not buying an iPhone but wanted a widescreen iPod, that's a sale gained to Apple (once it ships, of course).

My friend just went down to the Apple store here in Salt Lake today and bought a new nano. He's not cracked it out of the case yet, but it looks a lot smaller in person.

Chris Welch
Sep 6, 2007, 05:31 PM
The headphone port on the Nanos is recessed! Just like on the iPhone. What an awful, awful move by Apple.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1359/1336795851_8caa795312.jpg

See?

CWallace
Sep 6, 2007, 05:35 PM
The headphone port on the Nanos is recessed! Just like on the iPhone. What an awful, awful move by Apple.

Geh. I use the Belkin extender at home with my primary headphones and it's ugly, but it works. On the go, I am fortunate my Sony earbuds actually fits...

psychofreak
Sep 6, 2007, 05:41 PM

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1359/1336795851_8caa795312.jpg

See?

OK, so its 99% certain, but just to make sure, any conformation it wouldn't work (without some hardware help) with 3rd party 'buds?

jhershauer
Sep 6, 2007, 06:03 PM
OK, so its 99% certain, but just to make sure, any conformation it wouldn't work (without some hardware help) with 3rd party 'buds?

It's not recessed. That hole is only big enough for the metal part of the headphone connector. I picked up a Nano today, and it works fine with my noise-cancelling headphones. The connector goes all the way in and snaps tight.

Jeff

SactoGuy18
Sep 6, 2007, 07:19 PM
It's not recessed. That hole is only big enough for the metal part of the headphone connector. I picked up a Nano today, and it works fine with my noise-cancelling headphones. The connector goes all the way in and snaps tight.

Jeff

If the 3G nano had a recessed headphone connector they would have a major riot on their hands by now. That recessed connector caused a major PR fiasco in regards to the iPhone.

Brother Michael
Sep 6, 2007, 09:52 PM
ugly.

I liked the previous generations design much better. oh well.

gonnabuyamac
Sep 6, 2007, 10:15 PM
i'm debating between an ipod nano and a classic (the touch still doesn't have enough capacity to justify the price for me yet)... i'm wondering about video playback. it seems that video would be SMALL on a 2" screen... probably not even worth having.

what are your thoughts?

dalvin200
Sep 7, 2007, 12:29 AM

Jeff

Phew... hope that's true, otherwise my nano (when it arrives) will be going straight BACK!! :D

matperk
Sep 7, 2007, 01:13 AM
I just got the black one today. Everything works fine and I really like the form factor a lot. It's really easy to hold and throw in a pocket.

I must say, I'm also very impressed with the new UI. It's very iPhoneish and very smooth. Coverflow can be a bit laggy at times, but not to the point of bothering me.

anti-microsoft
Sep 7, 2007, 04:19 AM
I can't wait to try one out and hopefully I'll get one by the end of the month!!

roblin
Sep 7, 2007, 04:56 AM
i tried one in Tokyo. WOW. they are even more beautiful IRL. so small and SO thin. screen was very clear and finally the mirror is back on the back. coverflow seemed a bit unpractical, but not laggy. photos was wonderful. video was okay, not that good.

green seemed very stylish, better than blue, which was better than white. the other colors were out of stock.

think i will buy a green 8gb. before i saw them i was thinking about iPod touch, but now i am more into nano. :)

iShak
Sep 7, 2007, 05:23 AM
i'm debating between an ipod nano and a classic (the touch still doesn't have enough capacity to justify the price for me yet)... i'm wondering about video playback. it seems that video would be SMALL on a 2" screen... probably not even worth having.

what are your thoughts?

novelty ...

its just to make Nano appeal to those who thought Apple should include video playback on Nano ... and I quote:

"how difficult is that Apple? you disappoint me! *anger*" or "if iPod Linux can play video on iPod Nano then why not Apple software?"

those kids will get video and finally shut up (and hopefully realize that it wasn't such a good idea on the previous 176x132 pixels screen) and those who didn't care about having video on their Nano's will go about as usual ..

BoyBach
Sep 7, 2007, 07:25 AM
I was just reading an article on the Macworld UK site and came across this picture.

Remember when the iPod Mini was small?

:eek:

SactoGuy18
Sep 7, 2007, 08:29 AM
I bought a new 8 GB 3G nano last night (blue case) and totally love the device. It's real easy to hold in your hands, and the video quality is much better than I anticipated (I saw an episode of DL.TV quite clearly despite the small screen size).

Sound quality is very good, better than my old 2G 4 GB nano (at least through my Etymotic ER-6i headphones).

Now, I hope the likes of Belkin, DLO and Speck have their 3G nano cases ready soon, because the player does smudge rather easily (though easily cleaned by a soft dry cloth).

chillywilly
Sep 7, 2007, 11:23 AM
I bought a new 8 GB 3G nano last night (blue case) and totally love the device. It's real easy to hold in your hands, and the video quality is much better than I anticipated (I saw an episode of DL.TV quite clearly despite the small screen size).

Sound quality is very good, better than my old 2G 4 GB nano (at least through my Etymotic ER-6i headphones).

Now, I hope the likes of Belkin, DLO and Speck have their 3G nano cases ready soon, because the player does smudge rather easily (though easily cleaned by a soft dry cloth).

How is the blue on the new 3G nano compared to the blue of the 2G nano? (not sure what color your 2G nano was... just a curious question I have before I do my own in-person comparison this weekend).

As far as the smudge goes, Invisishield is the way to go for reducing that. I've covered my iPod 5G 30gb with it and it protects the metal back perfectly. I would image it would do the same for the metal back of the new nano.

SactoGuy18
Sep 7, 2007, 03:42 PM
How is the blue on the new 3G nano compared to the blue of the 2G nano? (not sure what color your 2G nano was... just a curious question I have before I do my own in-person comparison this weekend).

The blue on the 3G nano is almost teal in color compared to the blue on the 2G nano.

By the way, I'm kind of skeptical about using Invisishield, because I have some concerns it could actually damage the surface of the display and case. I'll wait for a real protective case from Belkin, DLO, Speck, etc. :)

amycishere
Sep 7, 2007, 03:49 PM
Has anyone tried watching a movie/long show on it? I am afraid my eyes would hurt after awhile.

chillywilly
Sep 7, 2007, 03:51 PM
The blue on the 3G nano is almost teal in color compared to the blue on the 2G nano.

By the way, I'm kind of skeptical about using Invisishield, because I have some concerns it could actually damage the surface of the display and case. I'll wait for a real protective case from Belkin, DLO, Speck, etc. :)

Thanks for the color difference explanation.

As for any surface damage that Invisishield does, that was a concern with the 1G nanos (a friend of mine has discoloration on his nano), but I've done two iPod 5G 30gb models with no issues at all. I've also done the screens on both my older Treo 650 and my new Treo 755p without any issues.

If all you are doing is the back of the nano to protect the brushed metal, I would say there would be no issues at all.

I never did the Invisishield on my 2G nano. The aluminum case has withstood the abuse I've given it and still looks great.

scott523
Sep 7, 2007, 03:54 PM
The new form is interesting and I might consider getting a 4gb later. From looking at its dimensions, the new nano's length is shortened by 20%, its width lengthened by 20%, screen is 25% larger, and it's 1mm thinner. xD

Stampyhead
Sep 7, 2007, 03:55 PM
Has anyone tried watching a movie/long show on it? I am afraid my eyes would hurt after awhile.

The resolution is so high for that little screen that the video shows up quite clearly. I've only watched it for a few seconds, though, to try it out. The real test will be when I take mine on the plane with me when I go out of town this weekend.

And to those of you who think the design is ugly, go to the Apple store and play with one for a while before making up your mind about the design. They look much, much better in person.

amycishere
Sep 7, 2007, 04:00 PM
The resolution is so high for that little screen that the video shows up quite clearly. I've only watched it for a few seconds, though, to try it out. The real test will be when I take mine on the plane with me when I go out of town this weekend.

And to those of you who think the design is ugly, go to the Apple store and play with one for a while before making up your mind about the design. They look much, much better in person.

Really, I must say I am quite surprised. Now, I am considering it even more...lol

Here's to hoping you have a good trip and could perhaps report back how the nano does.

anti-microsoft
Sep 7, 2007, 04:30 PM
I am amazed at the price of these things!! When steve said it was 204 ppi, I thought: uh-oh this sounds expensive... When he said 5 hours video battery life I went: this looks bad (price wise)... Then he said: 4GB model...149 bucks...8GB model... at just $200. And I was like... W0000TTT!!!!:D

thespazz
Sep 7, 2007, 04:59 PM
The little buggers look great in real life. My only gripe was the click wheel. It's far too thing for my fingers.

I picked up a Classic though. :p

j/k/Andy
Sep 7, 2007, 05:07 PM
Just picked up a 4GB and all I can say is wow!

The screen looks great! Watching tv shows (Lost) is very conformable, so much nicer then my 1rst gen Nano, and the box is about the same size as my 2nd gen iPod :eek:

for $ 149 it is truly amazing