PDA

View Full Version : Apple Announces Starbucks Partnership

MacRumors
Sep 5, 2007, 01:05 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

In addition to the iPod related releases today, Apple is pleased to announce a partnership with Starbucks.
When you get near a Starbucks a fifth button will come up in the WiFi music store - you may have been in a Starbucks wondering what song is that playing? Now you can buy it with a tap of your finger. The service will reportedly display the last 10 songs played in that Starbucks.

No mention yet what happens when you're in range of 4 Starbucks or more at the same time.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/05/apple-announces-starbucks-partnership/)

Horseface
Sep 5, 2007, 01:07 PM
Hmmmm. Heh heh. People who buy their music at Starbucks...

mashinhead
Sep 5, 2007, 01:08 PM
that's great and all but it still leaves the very big problem of getting and internet connection at the starbucks to download the music. if there was free wifi this would make more sense. but i guess since he's making at&t a bunch of money he doesn't mind making t-moblie a bunch too. At this point they seem like they would have been a better choice. And it seems they too will reap the benefits of the apple halo, probably more than at$t will

4np
Sep 5, 2007, 01:09 PM
Starbuck's nice, apple is nice, but we've only got about 3 starbuck's in the netherlands and not near here :)

Clive At Five
Sep 5, 2007, 01:10 PM
WOOHOO!!! Just what I always wanted!!!

Is anyone else underwhelmed by this "feature"?

*raises hand*

And the best part is, although you can connect to the iTS for free, you still have to pay to surf the whole wide rest of the web at Starbucks.

Choose Caribou over Starsucks, people. Better coffee. Free Wi-Fi. Not bent on global domination.

-Clive

syklee26
Sep 5, 2007, 01:10 PM
wifi access is free but i wonder if the site will be locked to just iTunes or not. if IPT user gets entirely free access to hotspot, this is a clincher for me.

macdaddy121
Sep 5, 2007, 01:11 PM
I think Starbucks is providing free wifi to access the itunes store but not the internet....am I understanding this correctly?

Applespider
Free wifi while at Starbucks would have made people happier :rolleyes:

And yet another US-only feature... :mad:

ibanana
ridiculous "feature"

frankly
Sep 5, 2007, 01:12 PM
that's great and all but it still leaves the very big problem of getting and internet connection at the starbucks to download the music. if there was free wifi this would make more sense. but i guess since he's making at&t a bunch of money he doesn't mind making t-moblie a bunch too. At this point they seem like they would have been a better choice. And it seems they too will reap the benefits of the apple halo, probably more than at$t will

I was wondering the same thing. I thought for sure that the partnership he was going to announce was free Wi-Fi in all Starbucks stores. Now that would have been a get. There are soooooo many Starbucks coffee shops in the US and yet they are the only coffee shop I have ever been in that does NOT offer free Wi-Fi. What a bummer.

Frank

One Bad Duck
Sep 5, 2007, 01:12 PM

I thought starbucks' were global?

syklee26
Sep 5, 2007, 01:13 PM
BREAKING NEWS: iPhone price cut.

Darkroom
they are my favourite coffee i must admit (i drink black coffee)... but it is seriously impossible for me to care less about their choice of music... i though they were going to announce that if you bought a song from the WiFi iTunes Store, you could go to the cash to show them and get a free coffee, or something...

i live in Montreal, and there's a StarBucks around the corner from me in the gay village... they've always offered free wifi thru Videotron... a friend of mine use to live across the street from them for a year and lived off of their wifi signal... maybe free wifi at starbucks doesn't happen in the states?

anyway... i'm soooo getting a StartbucksPod...

Horseface
Starbucks is horrible coffee. It tastes bitter/burnt and the stores smell like week-old hiking socks. The coffee equiv of McDonalds.

:D

syklee26
Sep 5, 2007, 01:15 PM
i like Dunkin Donuts coffee a lot more personally

Applespider
Sep 5, 2007, 01:16 PM
I thought starbucks' were global?

There's no mention of doing international stores... just most metro areas (with a US map) by 2009 :rolleyes: I'm not holding my breath...

Horseface
i like Dunkin Donuts coffee a lot more personally

Actually, it is MUCH better than McStarbucks. Strangely, enough.

frankly

wifi access is free but i wonder if the site will be locked to just iTunes or not. if IPT user gets entirely free access to hotspot, this is a clincher for me.

Please tell me you did not already create an abbreviation for the iPod Touch. Are we that lazy that we can't type out two words??? Also, if you really felt the need to abbreviate it the correct abbreviation would have been iPT :p

frankly
Sep 5, 2007, 01:18 PM
Choose Caribou over Starsucks, people. Better coffee. Free Wi-Fi. Not bent on global domination.

And thus not available in my town ;)

mashinhead
Sep 5, 2007, 01:19 PM
BREAKING NEWS: iPhone price cut.

Man i'm pissed it hasn't even been out for 3months and this!? I want a $200 credit toward another apple product.

Peel
Sep 5, 2007, 01:20 PM
No mention yet what happens when you're in range of 4 Starbucks or more at the same time.

LOL, There are 6 Starbucks within a block of my office in downtown Seattle. This could be mayhem here.

frankly
Sep 5, 2007, 01:20 PM
Starbucks is horrible coffee. It tastes bitter/burnt and the stores smell like week-old hiking socks. The coffee equiv of McDonalds.

You have a bad starbucks near you then. And BTW, McDonalds has decent coffee now. They changed a year or two ago ;)

logandzwon
Sep 5, 2007, 01:22 PM
This is retarded too. A huge wast of apple resources. sb wont even be ready for a year.

When is the dumb thing going to support wifi syncing. Even the AppleTV does that.

Ja Di ksw
Sep 5, 2007, 01:24 PM
Why is everyone responding so negatively? I don't drink at Starbucks (I don't like coffee), and have no idea what their music is, but some people do drink there and like the music. For them this is one of those nice little features that make a product feel better. If you don't like Starbucks (like me), just don't use this. Obviously a lot of other people out there do like them.

It's also not like Starbucks is out to "rule the world" or anything :rolleyes:. They're a company, and like all companies, they try to maximize profits, and when doing well, they open up new stores. That's what companies do. You're going to hold it against them for succeeding?

Please tell me you did not already create an abbreviation for the iPod Touch. Are we that lazy that we can't type out two words??? Also, if you really felt the need to abbreviate it the correct abbreviation would have been iPT :p

This made me smile :).

thejadedmonkey
Sep 5, 2007, 01:25 PM
[QUOTENo mention yet what happens when you're in range of 4 Starbucks or more at the same time.

LOL, There are 6 Starbucks within a block of my office in downtown Seattle. This could be mayhem here.
It'll probably be the last 10 songs played from the starbuck's whose network you're trying to use (apologies for my bad grammer, I'm american :rolleyes:)

Cabbit
Sep 5, 2007, 01:26 PM
so to get wifi access i have to go to starbucks for a poor attempt at a coffee. sorry but no way i'll stick with real coffee and the free wifi i get at the ground floor and esquires.

Horseface
Sep 5, 2007, 01:28 PM
You have a bad starbucks near you then. And BTW, McDonalds has decent coffee now. They changed a year or two ago ;)

No, I've tried plenty of Starbucks as a reality check. There are plenty here in LA. And they're all crap. It's poor quality. It's burnt. It's well documented. I suggest you go and refine your silly fast food palate.

;)

syklee26
Sep 5, 2007, 01:28 PM
some people here will pick on you for anything. I say IPT and someone argues that it should be iPT?

the point of the language is to communicate, just to let you know. if you know that iPT and IPT and iPod Touch are all same thing, there is no point of arguing.

back to people who bash starbucks....I do agree that their coffee isn't all that but I do like the music they play at the store. I sometimes do wonder who sang the song and at least I can find out who was singing the song I liked.

plus, it's not like we are harmed by Apple and Starbucks' attempt to do business. I just don't see why people whine all the time.

shinji
Sep 5, 2007, 01:29 PM
Anyone who uses this feature should be shot.

How much of an impulsive trendwhore does someone have to be to actually use this 'feature' ?

drake
Sep 5, 2007, 01:33 PM
Does this mean if I'm boycotting Starbucks I should now boycott Apple? :o

BoyBach
Sep 5, 2007, 01:33 PM
I think this is a great development.

Give it five years and this will be ubiquitous. You're in any shop/cinema/airport/whatever and like the song being played, whip out your iPhone/iPod and find out what it is and buy it there and then.

Sounds great to me.

:)

syklee26
Sep 5, 2007, 01:34 PM
Anyone who uses this feature should be shot.

How much of an impulsive trendwhore does someone have to be to actually use this 'feature' ?

i guarantee you that you will have to shoot yourself eventually.

slffl
Sep 5, 2007, 01:35 PM
Wow, people who vote negative for added features are SOO lame.

Analog Kid
Sep 5, 2007, 01:39 PM
I'm really disappointed... I understand the purpose of a company is to maximize profits, but I really think they're hurting their long-term image. They've decided to ride the gravy train here, and people are going to start getting tired of it... Extra charges for ringtones? Starbucks partnerships? Dicing up the product line into smaller and smaller segments to keep people upgrading more often?

Does this mean if I'm boycotting Starbucks I should now boycott Apple? :o
I'm facing the same dilemma...

ziwi
Sep 5, 2007, 01:41 PM
Ok, no big deal - move along...

Next up - Walmart...;)

minik
Sep 5, 2007, 01:43 PM
That's good news.

It's not about the coffee, it's about the music.

syklee26
i can't wait to see what Steve Ballmer will say about this.....he will probably give us with some humor.

Orng
There will never ever ever be an iPod magical enough to make me go into a Fourbucks. Charred, crappy coffee with funny little names that I have to perform if I want service. Bah! I'm not your performing monkey, I'm not going to recite your little coffee passwords!

Speaking of which, the Fourbucks songs will probably cost $3.99. No reason, just cause it's Fourbucks, and that's what they do: charge you four bucks for things that better retailers might charge you a dollar for.

And you probably can't buy a "song" unless you call it a triple-allegro dancacinno.

miketcool
Sep 5, 2007, 01:45 PM
Someone correct me on this.
Starbucks Wi-Fi access is typically handled through T-Mobile hotspot.
If that is the case, T-Mobile is yet another step closer to handling iPhones in the US. I would love to buy the auf deutsch version and use my current provider, especially when a button pops up automatically telling me when I'm in range of a hotspot.

Fantasies aside, this feature is more then free WiFiTMS access, this hopefully puts to rest Starbucks music service pipedream. We see Apple gaining big ground by showing up in what used to be a competitor (although not a major competitor, it does show where theyre at now).

Also of interest is the ability to buy music you are listening to. Anyone else see content providers using this as an amazing way to get people to buy their wares? You hear an amazing song while walking down the street, and you pull out your iPhone/iPod and a button appears magically in the WiFiTMS. You slecect the song and buy it, right there, so you wont forget to later. That concept in itsself is pretty freaking cool, especially from the viewpoint of content providers. I will rate this very interesting, based solely off of that idea.

jabu31
Sep 5, 2007, 02:03 PM

I agree free wifi would have been best but i must say that i love going to starbucks on a weekly basis. I mean its a seattle staple. and since we have like 4 starbucks per block in seattle thats even more perfect.:rolleyes:

Starbucks does play some great music so this partnership is just awesome! :p

Great job starbucks and Apple :D

CatharticFlux
Sep 5, 2007, 02:13 PM
I'm not a Starbucks hater, but I think this is something that's terribly lame. This only really works for someone that hangs out at the Starbucks, I just get my coffee and go, and as far as I understand it, the vast majority of their customers grab-n-go on their way to work.

Just sounds like whatever resources are being used on making this happen could have been put to MUCH better use. :rolleyes:

bousozoku
Sep 5, 2007, 02:24 PM
I think Starbucks is providing free wifi to access the itunes store but not the internet....am I understanding this correctly?

Yes, that's exactly it and easy access to whatever they've been playing at Starbucks through 10 songs.

Now, that McDonald's has fancy coffee, which is worse? :D

Small White Car
Sep 5, 2007, 02:27 PM
Oh no!

The iPod has a feature I'm never going to use! I might have to stop buying Apple products and/or eating!

Whatever will I do? First audio books, then the clock, and now this!

I refuse to buy an iPod untill it only has the EXACT features I'm going to use! Same with the Macs. I was GOING to buy a Macbook until I found out it comes with a calculator I'm never going to use. Nuts to that, I say.

bflowers
Sep 5, 2007, 02:36 PM
some people here will pick on you for anything. I say IPT and someone argues that it should be iPT?

the point of the language is to communicate, just to let you know. if you know that iPT and IPT and iPod Touch are all same thing, there is no point of arguing.

plus, it's not like we are harmed by Apple and Starbucks' attempt to do business. I just don't see why people whine all the time.

Just to point out, you are both incorrect. Apple :apple: lists it as:

iPod touch

so the correct way to put it is:

iPt

:rolleyes: :)

mandoman
Sep 5, 2007, 02:39 PM
Free general wi-fi would have been great, but alas, no.

They charge like $10/day to use their hotspot, what a frickin' ripoff. Most mom and pop coffee joints offer free
wi-fi, not to mention their coffee is way better than that crappy
sludge Starbucks serves.

Lame 'feature' indeed.

Don't know much about their music, I think they have a few
decent artist like Paul McCartney and have read they treat
their artist more fairly than most of the big labels do.

Mgkwho
Sep 5, 2007, 02:39 PM
I think this is cool. So it's not that exciting for most people. But I specifically remember being in stores, wishing that I could find out what the song was.

If this is expanded, like to Target and other retail stores, how cool would that be? I hope the Apple store does this as well.

-=|Mgkwho

awatiker
Sep 5, 2007, 02:59 PM
I agree with the consensus this is a lame "feature" however this project maybe be serving as a means to an end. Using this technology,walk in to a store and your iPod or Phone could display information on specials, walk into a theme park and the device could display the wait times on the various rides or walk into a restaurant and see images of all of the dishes before you order. I'm sure their are better uses that these, but the point is that there are ways to take advantage of this ability.

mrrydogg
Sep 5, 2007, 03:03 PM
Why is everyone so bent on this?

All the boards ever talk about is how Apple needs to work better with other companies and develop relationships and partnerships. Well they just did...... with the largest Coffee franchise in the world!

It may not be your cup of tea (sorry) but its a cool feature for those of us that will use it. PLUS....its only the beginning, part of working with a partner is to continue to build on that relationship. I expect more Starbucks/Apple announcements to come in the near future.

Its just a extra plus for those that want to use it, its not that big of deal people!

We should be petitioning Starbucks to give back some of their profits a little and offer FREE WiFi in ALL STORES!!! T-Mobile hotspots are lame.

Rocketman
Sep 5, 2007, 03:16 PM
As I posted to a macrumors thread a couple of weeks ago, ATT has an arrangement with Starbucks and McDonald's for wifi access to ATT customers, mostly for free, but some for a fee. The access codes are posted to a public area on the ATT website.

This Apple initiative seems to trade Starbucks logo support for some sort of passwordless access. The ATT deal has 2-3 access words used nationwide.

What ever happened to that Pringles can size wifi antenna that would be sold for $20 and available for everyone to put on their wifi router so everyone everywhere could have wifi "for free, as in beer"?

Rocketman

Ugg
Sep 5, 2007, 03:21 PM
I'm not a Starbucks hater, but I think this is something that's terribly lame. This only really works for someone that hangs out at the Starbucks, I just get my coffee and go, and as far as I understand it, the vast majority of their customers grab-n-go on their way to work.

Just sounds like whatever resources are being used on making this happen could have been put to MUCH better use. :rolleyes:

Starbucks has become a place to meet, a local compass point so to speak. It's also a great place for impromptu business meetings. While most customers do grab and go, many do hang out for awhile.

This costs neither Starbucks nor Apple any significant amount of time, money or effort. It's definitely a win for Apple afficiandos who also hang out at Starbucks.

I find it astonishing that so many people hate this idea! As someone mentioned earlier, this feature will become ubiquitous before long. Go into a store, hear some great music, have it listed on your iPod, then buy it from iTunes. It's a big win for the iTMS, there's no doubt about it.

It's too bad that Starbucks and T Mobile still charge so much for their internet access. That is definitely a rip off. I wonder how much longer they'll be able to keep that up.

pilotError
Sep 5, 2007, 03:23 PM
Welcome to the world of consumerism and cross branding.

This Starbucks thing has been floating around the ether for a while.

No big deal, I think some folks will find some use in it. At least the icon doesn't stick around permanently...

krose0307
Sep 5, 2007, 03:39 PM

Isn't Starbucks wifi already free? Is that just on college campuses or something?

Fukui
Sep 5, 2007, 03:42 PM
Isn't Starbucks wifi already free? Is that just on college campuses or something?
Yes.

Mac Pro 5GB
Sep 5, 2007, 03:46 PM
No free wifi in the Starbucks around me.

Mac Pro 5GB
Sep 5, 2007, 03:48 PM
Just imagine the contract to install new equipment in all of the Starbucks to make this work.

(yes it does require new equipment)

Superdrive
Sep 5, 2007, 03:49 PM
Exactly.
I agree with the consensus this is a lame "feature" however this project maybe be serving as a means to an end. Using this technology,walk in to a store and your iPod or Phone could display information on specials, walk into a theme park and the device could display the wait times on the various rides or walk into a restaurant and see images of all of the dishes before you order. I'm sure their are better uses that these, but the point is that there are ways to take advantage of this ability.
I agree wholeheartedly. Who hasn't heard music they like while out and about? Having the ability to pull out the iPod and download the song I just heard is great. This feature definitely has the possibility of expanding well beyond Starbucks...and should.

Cheffy Dave
Sep 5, 2007, 04:01 PM

as I read it, free Wi-Fi Period!, but I'm 59, can't remember what I;) ate for lunch;):apple:

princigalli
Sep 5, 2007, 05:11 PM
I think that Starbucks WIFI is not free here in Berlin. Don't remember if they require a T-Online subscription or AOL (does AOL still exist?), but I think you can't just log in.

So I won't be enjoying this feature there because when I sit I have to connect to another network that some nice neighbor keeps free for all to use. If I remember well when I was there the open network was names "****starbucks". I can't write the full name here.

It would be nice if Starbucks in Germany would offer free wifi like they do in the US and like most cafes and restaurants do here.

Teddy's
Sep 5, 2007, 05:14 PM
Phew! At least is not a partnership with Abercrombie & Fitch.

Partnership with A&F:
Why 5% of Americans can locate the country in a map?
I personally believe... that 5% of US Americans are unable to do so... because they own a mac.

Arghhhhh!! never do that!!!

MrSmith
Sep 5, 2007, 05:36 PM
All part of the colourful tapestry of consumerism, with a pinch of impulse buying thrown in. I always take a flask of coffee out with me, so I'm protected from it all. :cool:

d21mike
Sep 5, 2007, 05:51 PM
I think that Starbucks WIFI is not free here in Berlin. Don't remember if they require a T-Online subscription or AOL (does AOL still exist?), but I think you can't just log in.

So I won't be enjoying this feature there because when I sit I have to connect to another network that some nice neighbor keeps free for all to use. If I remember well when I was there the open network was names "****starbucks". I can't write the full name here.

It would be nice if Starbucks in Germany would offer free wifi like they do in the US and like most cafes and restaurants do here.

Not Free in the US either. I believe it said that the network would be Free for this purpose only. Not full internet access.

sionharris
Sep 5, 2007, 06:04 PM
NEWS JUST IN! Apple announces partnership with the Devil.

Seriously, partnering with Starbucks? That's low. It has certainly put me off buying a new iPod.

Analog Kid
Sep 5, 2007, 06:06 PM
I don't know why other people are upset about this, but I know why I am. Starbucks represents everything that I hate about the growing breed of corporations. In many ways they're the anti-Apple. If Apple's tagline was "Think Different", Starbucks would be "Think Identical".

I hate the fact that not only is Starbucks the same from neighborhood to neighborhood, or even city to city, but everywhere I go in the world they're absolutely identical. If I walk into a Japanese Starbucks, I want to feel like I'm in Japan not some brushed aluminum purgatory I could just as easily find in New York.

But that's not it-- the same could be said for McDonalds and I don't have the same feelings of hatred for them... Starbucks is predatory. They seek out local neighborhood coffeshops, the kind that have culture, set up next door, run at a loss for as long as it takes, and drive out the competition. They aren't successful because of their quality product (their coffee is awful), or their style, they're successful because they're bankrolled better than any local competition can be.

I'll be curious to see if Starbucks gets preferential treatment on the iPhone maps once this kicks in. Will I even be able to find my local cafe by search? What bland, soulless company will Apple dilute their brand with next?

psychofreak
Sep 5, 2007, 06:06 PM
NEWS JUST IN! Apple announces partnership with the Devil.

Seriously, partnering with Starbucks? That's low. It has certainly put me off buying a new iPod.
Wow! If only they got iPod users free WiFi...

sionharris
Sep 5, 2007, 06:16 PM
Wow! If only they got iPod users free WiFi...

I don't care. See what Analog Kid said.

I might sit in my car outside for the internet, but I certainly wouldn't set foot inside.

msimpson
Sep 5, 2007, 06:22 PM

Starbucks makes horrid coffee. They do a lousy job of roasting (actually they do burn it).

Starbucks has to cover up the taste of their coffee with excessive cream, sugars, and other flavorings. Go to a gourmet shop that sells whole beans, get yourself a grinder, and make a fresh cup for yourself and you will see the difference. Plus you will save enough money to buy a tune off of iTunes for every cup you drink.

Project
Sep 5, 2007, 06:30 PM
I think this is a great development.

Give it five years and this will be ubiquitous. You're in any shop/cinema/airport/whatever and like the song being played, whip out your iPhone/iPod and find out what it is and buy it there and then.

Sounds great to me.

:)

Yep. This has huge potential. And I got the feeling the digital radio thing will be next and one of the missing icons. Tune into any digital radio station over the WiFi. Like a song you hear? Click the buy button.

synth3tik
Sep 5, 2007, 07:25 PM
This is just stupid.

I used to get annoyed walking into a Starbuck's, now I will be getting annoyed with that stupid button when I walk by one.

Really I could care less what starbuck's is playing, it's crap anyway.:(

SkyBell
Sep 5, 2007, 07:42 PM

Now try McDonalds coffee. The worst of the best :D

Flowbee
Sep 5, 2007, 07:43 PM
Funny. I bring my iPod to Starbucks so I *don't* have to listen to the music they play.

Rocketman
Sep 5, 2007, 07:54 PM
What is needed is a Apple device that a store can order, install locally with minimal skill, provision according to a variety of provided methods, and offer free wifi to all customers and neighbors.

If enough stores and other places ordered and installed such hardware, access for all those iPhone and iPod Touch users would be rapidly and widely improved. Good for product uptake and good for sales on the devices themselves.

Simply doing a tech note on how it can be done then publicizing it through traditional retailer channels and corporate retailers would be a good start.

Rocketman

dornoforpyros
Sep 5, 2007, 09:13 PM
and let it be know, that the starbucks partnership is the official point where apple jumped the shark...

mangis
Sep 5, 2007, 10:16 PM
Big deal. . .

Remember the CEO of cingular spouting about nothing? This is much of the same.

frankly
Sep 5, 2007, 10:27 PM
No, I've tried plenty of Starbucks as a reality check. There are plenty here in LA. And they're all crap. It's poor quality. It's burnt. It's well documented. I suggest you go and refine your silly fast food palate.

;)

Well, let me put it this way, I take my coffee seriously. I use a burr grinder and a french press at home. I usually don't get the brewed coffee at Starbucks but not because it is burnt. I skip it because they insist on brewing a different type every time I come into the store. Everyone has a different type of coffee that suits their taste buds best. If you do not choose the right type of coffee for your taste buds then it may taste burnt or some other variation of that. It is not the coffee or the way it is made, just that it is not your type. The reason I defend Starbucks is because I enjoy their beans and they make a good latte (espresso is in the flavor category of coffee that I like). I'm not saying they are the best or the only place I go but that their coffee doesn't suck as some people make it sound.

Check out this test to see what type of coffee you would prefer:

http://www.cariboucoffee.com/ourcoffee/tastetest.asp

frankly
Sep 5, 2007, 10:30 PM

Look, I was joking, hence the smiley. However, if you want to pursue your line of though then you failed at communicating. I had to look at your IPT twice to realize what the heck you were talking about . That is not good communication. I shouldn't have to stop at something and think about it while reading. An example of that is right here:

http://www.funny-potato.com/read-this.html

Frank

frankly
Sep 5, 2007, 10:33 PM

I think people are voting negative based on the way this was presented. Steve said, "Oh, and one more thing. We've been working on this for two year. We have a great new partnership with Starbucks." and then he finishes with this deflated balloon? I don't think it is a bad feature. It is not something that deserved this fanfare and especially NOT the CEO of Starbucks walking on stage to tell us how it would be available in TWO YEARS!!!!

Two frickin' years!?!??!?!?

Frank

MrSmith
Sep 5, 2007, 10:41 PM
Well, let me put it this way, I take my coffee seriously.
What does that mean exactly? You're some kind of 'coffee snob'? :confused:

frankly
Sep 5, 2007, 10:42 PM
This costs neither Starbucks nor Apple any significant amount of time, money or effort. It's definitely a win for Apple afficiandos who also hang out at Starbucks.

Really??? Who do you think is writing the software and installing the hardware to make this happen? If it didn't cost either of them time, money, or effort then please explain why it won't be fully implemented until 2009, yes 2009.

Frank

frankly
Sep 5, 2007, 10:46 PM
What does that mean exactly? You're some kind of 'coffee snob'? :confused:

Actually, I've been called that. LOL

frankly
Sep 5, 2007, 10:51 PM
I don't know why other people are upset about this, but I know why I am. Starbucks represents everything that I hate about the growing breed of corporations. In many ways they're the anti-Apple. If Apple's tagline was "Think Different", Starbucks would be "Think Identical".

I hate the fact that not only is Starbucks the same from neighborhood to neighborhood, or even city to city, but everywhere I go in the world they're absolutely identical. If I walk into a Japanese Starbucks, I want to feel like I'm in Japan not some brushed aluminum purgatory I could just as easily find in New York.

But that's not it-- the same could be said for McDonalds and I don't have the same feelings of hatred for them... Starbucks is predatory. They seek out local neighborhood coffeshops, the kind that have culture, set up next door, run at a loss for as long as it takes, and drive out the competition. They aren't successful because of their quality product (their coffee is awful), or their style, they're successful because they're bankrolled better than any local competition can be.

I'll be curious to see if Starbucks gets preferential treatment on the iPhone maps once this kicks in. Will I even be able to find my local cafe by search? What bland, soulless company will Apple dilute their brand with next?

I'm sorry but I think you have Starbucks confused with Walmart. I know a person that owns a local coffee shop and not only did a Starbucks NOT open up shop next to them but they approached Starbucks because they would like to sell to Starbucks. We have both Starbucks and local coffee shops in my town and both are thriving. Starbucks is #16 in the best places to work:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/bestcompanies/2007/snapshots/16.html

Hello, they offer health care to part-time employees, as long as you average 20 hours per week. Please name another company that offers that? They are not perfect but they are also not the devil you and others make them out to be.

Frank

nüb
Sep 5, 2007, 11:03 PM
starbucks represents all that as wrong with america. such a shame to see apple fall into that market.

nüb
Sep 5, 2007, 11:05 PM

I've been in a Japanese Starbucks, and you are correct...there IS no difference in the stores there than here. There was even a hot white chick working the counter. WTF????

achie25
Sep 5, 2007, 11:10 PM
I took it as that you only have to pay for the songs you want to buy and download at Starbucks. To just check out what song was playing it is free. To surf the net is a different story. Would be nice to see Starbucks offer iPod users the ability to surf free. Would be a smart move on their part to do so. More people would visit thus more $4 coffee being sold.

With the Roll out plan presented it seems to me that it will take 1.5- 2 years for that service to hit Grand Rapids anyway.

twoodcc
Sep 5, 2007, 11:13 PM
more partnerships can be good.....but i don't think i'll benefit from this one

MikeTheC
Sep 5, 2007, 11:46 PM
There's now two Starbucks' shops in my area. One is one of those built-into-Barnes & Noble locations, and the other is a free-standing building which is actually on the road between my home and work.

So, *if* I were to pop for a iPod touch, I might be tempted to try this feature out. But I'm a part of the newly-created "great undecided" mass out there. Classic 80? Classic 160? iPod Touch 8? iPod Touch 16? Too many choices! My brain hurts!!!

</gumby>

frankly
Sep 5, 2007, 11:58 PM
There's now two Starbucks' shops in my area. One is one of those built-into-Barnes & Noble locations, and the other is a free-standing building which is actually on the road between my home and work.

So, *if* I were to pop for a iPod touch, I might be tempted to try this feature out. But I'm a part of the newly-created "great undecided" mass out there. Classic 80? Classic 160? iPod Touch 8? iPod Touch 16? Too many choices! My brain hurts!!!

</gumby>

THe one inside of your Barnes and Noble is not a Starbucks. It is simply a Barnes and Noble coffee shop that brews Starbucks coffee. So you will not see the icon when you are in that store.

Frank

Gen3tix
Sep 6, 2007, 12:14 AM
I really doubt I'll ever go into a Starbucks and wonder what song is playing so I can download it off iTunes. It would be better if you get some sort of coupon though for a free coffee or something after downloading some songs.

khunsanook
Sep 6, 2007, 12:16 AM

I live in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Starbucks has had a big push here lately and quite frankly i think its pretty bunk. However, there's a local shop, Wawee Coffee (the beans come from Northern Thailand's Doi (Mount) Wawee). Wawee is very popular and has fantastic, relatively cheap coffee. Starbucks opened a store directly next door to one of Wawee's bigger shops, but it has made zero dent in Wawee's business. The trendy Thais like to frequent the Starbucks and flaunt their expensive logo cups. But Wawee has become a wildly popular and trendy brand in itself - trendy as in a Northern Thai, local business with Northern Thai style and character.

BTW, wifi at Chiang Mai Starbucks is 150 baht an hour (that's over 4 bucks!). At Wawee it's less than a dollar. Many shops in Chiang Mai have it free. Who the hell would pay 4 bucks an hour for wifi?!? That says a lot about Starbucks IMHO.

To be honest, I'm not so happy about Apple's partnership with Star*ucks. And to bring Mr. Star*ucks on stage - unnecessary!

Canuck4
Sep 6, 2007, 12:49 AM
What a waste of time.
They're working on this starbucks thing were if someone ends up going into one and likes a song to be able to purchase it. Rediculous.
Please, why not actually put out some applications that people would really use/need. Like Ichat, allow MMS so we dont have to log into that ATT site with a userID and password and go thru hell to retrieve a picture message.
How about a simple on/off button to disable The Edge network when its needed.
What about a few games like every other cellphone has? Or an option to send a text message to more than one recipient.....:rolleyes:

KindredMAC
Sep 6, 2007, 12:54 AM
The thing that bothers me is that this could turn out like the ROCKR partnership that Apple had with MOTO in that Starbucks seems to be taking their sweet@ss time with their roll out plan which is very UNLIKE Apple.

By the sounds and looks of the Big Coffee's roadmap, my area of NY state won't be touched until 2010. I'll just keep going to Panera's across the street and using their free WiFi with my iPhone. Not much of a coffee person anyways.....

I could almost see Starbucks closing the whole thing down before it even finishes up.

powerbook911
Sep 6, 2007, 12:55 AM
I don't get the point of this. Apple must be getting paid or something.

The tiny fraction of people who will take advantage of this makes it insignificant to me.

nüb
Sep 6, 2007, 01:03 AM
I really doubt I'll ever go into a Starbucks and wonder what song is playing so I can download it off iTunes. It would be better if you get some sort of coupon though for a free coffee or something after downloading some songs.

...yeah...i agree. I think their coffee AND their music blows! :eek:

Canuck4
Sep 6, 2007, 01:08 AM
No doubt a dumb idea and a wasted icon space on my iphone.
Starbucks music:rolleyes:

maestrokev
Sep 6, 2007, 04:19 AM
I've been in a Japanese Starbucks, and you are correct...there IS no difference in the stores there than here. There was even a hot white chick working the counter. WTF????

There are a lot of travellers who appreciate standardization across countries and cultures. Not everyone who travels wants to do the Lonely Planet thing. After a day or so of culture shock it's nice to retreat into something familiar for a break.

Pikemann Urge
Sep 6, 2007, 06:39 AM
I don't see how this is getting in the way of anything. It's not ruining iPod functionality or making them more expensive. And you aren't forced to go to a Starbucks. Come on, people, I don't think it's the scandal some of you make it out to be.

I care about my coffee, too, BTW. At least Apple is promoting brewed coffee and not instant!

Orng
Sep 6, 2007, 07:18 AM
There are a lot of travellers who appreciate standardization across countries and cultures. Not everyone who travels wants to do the Lonely Planet thing. After a day or so of culture shock it's nice to retreat into something familiar for a break.

I'll agree with you here, but only in reference to toilet facilities.

Seriously, when you're in a country that has... unique bathroom cleanliness standards, well, that's about the only time I would go to either McDonalds or Starbucks. Because, in theory, they have to maintain corporate standards. In practise, maybe not so much, but it's worth looking into if you're in need of a sit-down.

By the way, I actually prefer McDs coffee to Starbucks. I'm not saying I like it or would choose it, but if it had to be one or the other, it would be McDs. My first choice is Tim Hortons, thankyouverymuch!

Teddy's
Sep 6, 2007, 09:19 AM
I read the history of SB (haters would call it propaganda) It seems to be a decent company.
I don't know what's the fuzz about hating everything corporate (Because most of them they are devils? duh!) Most of them Yes!
As little as I can help I always try to buy the "fair trade" coffees. I am not a coffee maniac, I can live without coffee. When I am on the road, I prefer my cheap Tim H because I can buy donuts and other candy.
On a closing note, I remember when the partnership with Nike was announced. The comments were almost similar. All I ask Apple now, is never partner with Abercrombie & Fitch.

shyataroo
Sep 6, 2007, 09:30 AM
if you were in the range of 4 starbucks simultaniously, you would be in a rare opportunity to slap on a additional 3 wifi antennas, program them to combine their streams and go Explativing nuts with downloading multi-gigabyte files in a few seconds. (of course you would have to hack into t-mibbles encryption)

joepunk
Sep 6, 2007, 10:34 AM
Using this technology,walk in to a store and your iPod or Phone could display information on specials, walk into a theme park and the device could display the wait times on the various rides or walk into a restaurant and see images of all of the dishes before you order.

That would be a great idea for when your at a Disney theme park and waiting for one ride while you can check the wait time for another clear across the park. Disney now has one billboard per park that display the wait times. Unfortunately they are only located near the main entrance.

Teddy's I read the history of SB (haters would call it propaganda) It seems to be a decent company.
I don't know what's the fuzz about hating everything corporate (Because most of them they are devils? duh!) Most of them Yes! I believe that some people (including top execs of the company) think that Starbucks has lost track of their founding principles over the last few years. Also, they have stores in parts of the world where people (i.e. men and women) are segregated as according the the religious laws/rules of said countries. That's just one of the many problems that I have with the company.

drake
Sep 6, 2007, 10:40 AM

Starbucks and its chairman have a history of supporting Israeli aggression against the Palestinians. They also provide support by way of free coffee to the Americans occupying Iraq. That's why I'm not such a great fan of the idea.

camrok
Sep 6, 2007, 12:23 PM
There have been a lot of negative post about starbucks coffee & apple/starbuck relationship! Get over it! If you dont like starbucks coffee dont buy it! easy!
I would have a guess, if you strolled past one with your ipod touch- would you look at your lil button to see their music- Hell yes! even if its to rip off their taste in music, or play with itunes download your pod cast or whatever.
When podcasting first came out, do you think everyone thought it was a winner? prob not, who would want to listen to someone elses crap and waste space on your ipod? Look at it now. Even the concept of an ipod made Apple die hards annoyed at the thought of their demigod making toys!
Now if starbucks is successful, how many quality coffee shops are going to want to get in on the act? maybe offer it & net access for free, refine the technology iron out the bugs in your mainstreem coffee outlet and then everyones on board-

So sit back and enjoy your soy mocha latte' with hazelnut syrup (thankyou mr starbuck for offering us choice in our coffee's) Have a winge about the track you saw playing when you strolled past the local starbucks and then think about the what this will mean for the future.
Sorry that was way too long for my first post wasnt it?

lilljimi
Sep 6, 2007, 12:33 PM
just google it

frankly
Sep 6, 2007, 02:03 PM

Exactly. And if they would flip the coin and look at it from the other side, do they want to go into a chinese restaurant in this country and have it look like a diner? So why would they want an American coffee shop to look chinese. Seems that would be pandering :)

frankly
Sep 6, 2007, 02:08 PM
Starbucks and its chairman have a history of supporting Israeli aggression against the Palestinians. They also provide support by way of free coffee to the Americans occupying Iraq. That's why I'm not such a great fan of the idea.

Screw that! The soldiers don't decide where they go and fight, politicians do and yet you want to deprive them of a decent cup of coffee while they are spending 15 months in horrid deadly conditions while away from their family? What a terrible person you are. If you feel so strongly about those things then why don't you demonstrate against the politicians, organize rallies and voter drives, and put some people into office that will make better decisions. Oh, that's right, it might require you to get up out of your chair. Sorry.

drake
Sep 6, 2007, 03:25 PM
Screw that! The soldiers don't decide where they go and fight, politicians do and yet you want to deprive them of a decent cup of coffee while they are spending 15 months in horrid deadly conditions while away from their family? What a terrible person you are. If you feel so strongly about those things then why don't you demonstrate against the politicians, organize rallies and voter drives, and put some people into office that will make better decisions. Oh, that's right, it might require you to get up out of your chair. Sorry.

I'm not asking anyway to join me in my boycott, I'm just giving my reasons why. If others exposed to those facts want to join me, all the better. But then, why does Starbucks provide free coffee to troops if not to show support of the occupation? Are they going to provide coffee for the resistance too?

And, btw, I have no reason to support the American troops. I'm not American or British and support the occupied rather than the occupiers. You support who you want, I'll support whom I want. Sound fair?

frankly
Sep 6, 2007, 04:18 PM
I'm not asking anyway to join me in my boycott, I'm just giving my reasons why. If others exposed to those facts want to join me, all the better. But then, why does Starbucks provide free coffee to troops if not to show support of the occupation? Are they going to provide coffee for the resistance too?

And, btw, I have no reason to support the American troops. I'm not American or British and support the occupied rather than the occupiers. You support who you want, I'll support whom I want. Sound fair?

It doesn't matter if you support the troops or not. I'm saying that your anger is placed in the wrong direction. If they sent coffee to the White House or contributed heavily to the politicians that make the policy then you can be pissed at them. But the troops don't have control over where they go and so it doesn't make sense to hate a company that sends these men and women coffee.

Pikemann Urge
Sep 6, 2007, 06:18 PM
It should be pointed out that the Salvation Army sends its 'soldiers' to war zones, too. Not to support the wars but to lend moral support (and a cup of tea ;) ) to the human beings fighting them. Their good reputation comes from work like this.

nüb
Sep 6, 2007, 10:37 PM
if you were in the range of 4 starbucks simultaniously, you would be in a rare opportunity to slap on a additional 3 wifi antennas, program them to combine their streams and go Explativing nuts with downloading multi-gigabyte files in a few seconds. (of course you would have to hack into t-mibbles encryption)

Apparently this is possible in Houston.

DaftUnion
Sep 6, 2007, 11:19 PM
I can't wait for them to do this at the local starbucks I go to.

nüb
Sep 7, 2007, 01:43 PM
I can't wait for them to do this at the local starbucks I go to.

N
W
O

monkeyjava
Sep 10, 2007, 12:41 PM
I like Starbucks, love my iPod, but I hate the marriage of the two. I don't want my beloved music player turned into a Pavlovian bell that drives me to make the rich a little richer. I think it's crass, and I thought Apple had a little more class than that. We couldn't have an "Intel Inside" sticker, but we will have a "Starbucks Close By" icon?