PDA

View Full Version : 8GB iPhone Price Drop, 4GB iPhone Discontinued

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

snowboarder
Sep 5, 2007, 01:09 PM
pretty good business I have to say...

~J~
Sep 5, 2007, 01:13 PM
dont get me started... i paid $300 for a phone & SMS... all of the other features of a "smart phone" that were so touted in the introduction of the iPhone are also on the half-the-price iPod Touch...

zap2
Sep 5, 2007, 01:15 PM
iPhone Price Drop...now 399!

WildCowboy
Not anymore...8 GB iPhone just dropped to $399.

Diode
8GB iphone is $399 now ....

glide
Cool. Can I get my $200 back for beta testing for them?

Monkaaay
Sep 5, 2007, 01:16 PM
I'm so ******* pissed off right now...

AirmanPika
I feel like I just got punched in the face. Fanboy tax indeed.

EvanLugh
This. Kicks. Ass.

zap2
That right!

Well...I feel a bit upset...oh well, thats the "price" of buying the product right away

Possible drop of the 4Gb iPhone too

malenfant
I feel like I just got punched in the face. Fanboy tax indeed.Ditto here. I plan to go by the Apple Store later today and raise some serious hell about this.

PupnTaco
After only three months, they're dropping the price by $200? And deleting the 4GB iPhone?

I know there's a "bleeding edge" penalty, but jesus. There's a lot of pissed-off iPhone owners right now. I'm sure. :mad:

macdaddy121
WOW....I can't believe this....it is great for everyone who doesn't own one but the people who did buy one will be upset!!!

rtdgoldfish
Screw you Apple, I paid $499 for my 4 gig iPhone less than a month ago. I'm pissed... :mad::mad::mad:

Superdrive
11:12am - "But we want to get even more aggressive with this. Take a look at the iPhone. You know, the surveys are in: the customer satisfaction numbers on the iPhone are off the charts. They're higher from iPhone owners than any Apple product. Ever. They LOVE them. We want to make the iPhone even MORE affordable for even more people."

"So we're going to do something about that today. We're on track to ship our 1mth iPhone this month -- to get ready for the holidays here's what we're going to do. It's clear clear customers want the 8GB model -- it's not going to sell for 599 anymore.

"Starting today effective immediately, we're pricing it at just $399."

WOW!!! $399 8gb iPhone!

Welcome to mobile phone pricing...there is always an early adoption premium.

Monkaaay
Sep 5, 2007, 01:17 PM
******* Apple... I'm so pissed off...

macdaddy121
Everyone has said that the iPhone price would drop shortly after its intro and anyone who bought it would be paying a premium...

danny_w
The iPod prices don't look so good anymore...

mpuck972
I'm 3 days past the 14-day return period. I want my $200 also. I must say as a first time Apple product buyer, I'm severely disappointed.

davekarn
Sep 5, 2007, 01:18 PM
DAMMIT...I knew I should have waited a couple months past launch! I too am pissed off...can't wait for the Zune Phone (JK!)

malenfant
You got that right. I've had my iPhone since 6/29, so we're talking about roughly $100 PER MONTH that I paid to be an early adopter of a $600 item.

dannyboy123
I'm so angry right now. Talk about customer loyalty - Apple can screw themselves.

badtzmaru
well i only paid $150 for mine but the price drop means sales will go through the roof!!!!

bennifer3000
See even your precious Apple thought that the 4 GB version was inferior.

Go out and buy one if you haven't already kiddies...

~J~
Sep 5, 2007, 01:19 PM
Im starting a club... you all are invited to join... its called the I'M ******* PISSED ABOUT MY IPHONE DEAL club... dont worry... memberships are free for life... as you already paid $200 to Apple to beta test something for them.

Our first order of business... im protesting until everyone gets a $200 gift card...

ChandlerXJ
wow, this is utter ********. not only is it 200 cheaper, that means ******* APPLE was making at LEAST 200 per phone.

there is going to be the biggest turmoil. 200 to the average american... thats a big deal.

Diode
Yea what can you do :-/

LoganT
ROFLcopter, that's what you get for being an early adopter.

Thanks guys!

pacohaas
Sep 5, 2007, 01:20 PM
hahaha, suckers! Serves you right for buying Gen1 Apple products. You knew there would be cheaper/better ones soon enough. That's the price you pay for early adopting. If you bought within the last week and you visit these forums, then you're an even bigger idiot because you knew this was coming. We all know not to buy before a big launch event, so stop complaining if you just couldn't keep it in your pants(your $$ that is) until then.

badtzmaru
im sure people who bought the 4gb version in the last 14 days will be able to get an 8gb for free plus a refund.

siurpeeman
i can't believe prices dropped so sharply on the iphone. i doubted it, but it's true. i'd be surprised now if they didn't reach that 10M figure.

Canuck4
Damn $399 for an 8 gig Iphone now?
That was quick.
Even though it sucks what can you do. I know they'll sell alot more Iphones now since the price is alot better than when they came out.

AHDuke99
Sep 5, 2007, 01:21 PM
what the hell!?!?!? a $200 price drop 2 months after it came out? i better sell my stock once this gets around.

MacRumors
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

An additional announcement from the "Beat Goes On" media event today - the iPhone will receive a price drop, moving the 8GB model down to $399 from $599 starting immediately. The 4GB iPhone model is being dropped, due to intense consumer concentration on the 8GB model.

With the current pricing, the 8GB iPhone is now only $100 more than the new iPod touch model at the same storage capacity.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/05/8gb-iphone-price-drop-4gb-iphone-discontinued/)

CWallace
Alas, I bought my iPhone on August 1st, so I am outside the return policy window to try and get a price reduction, but hey, that's the price of being an early adopter.

On the other hand, by releasing a 16GB iPod Touch that does everything my iPhone does but make cellular network calls for $399, paying $200 more for the cellphone and half the memory was a major stretch, so I think Apple had no real choice but to knock down the price to $399 and kill the 4G model.

aonflux
I think all the early adopters should get some kind of a rebate.

Scott982
I knew I should have waited..

msharp
Sep 5, 2007, 01:22 PM
Screw you Apple, I paid $499 for my 4 gig iPhone less than a month ago. I'm pissed... :mad::mad::mad:

YEAH!!

I've just got it last month for $499 for a 4gig iPhone.

SCREW YOU APPLE~~!~!~~~!!~

avalys
This was a rather dumb move on Apple's part. Who is going to buy another expensive first-generation Apple product? Just wait a few months and they'll knock 33% off the price.

ToddW
crap 200 bucks down the drain. BS

Canuck4
I wonder if you get a refurb 8 gig now is it still $100 cheaper. So $299 for a refurb 8gig iphone?

drison
Sep 5, 2007, 01:23 PM
I officially hate you Steve! :mad: But I still love my 4GB iPhone. :o

Cybergypsy
See even your precious Apple thought that the 4 GB version was inferior.

Go out and buy one if you haven't already kiddies...

Now the 4G will be a collectable and i am gong to keep mine.....LOL

rtdgoldfish
So since I got my iPhone on August 15th, I guess I can't return it anymore.

I'm going to be calling Apple in a bit and seeing what they will do for me. That is total BS, I know they can do what they want to the pricing but come on, who ever heard of a $200 price drop on something that has been out for two months??

I'm very pissed off right now...

mashinhead
Sep 5, 2007, 01:24 PM
I'm so ******* pissed off right now...

i second this an glide's comment. Really pissed too. They should offer store credits for $200 :)

zap2
Sep 5, 2007, 01:24 PM
And now Apple pissed off its 1M user base.....

but most of us, being the die hard Apple fan will live with it! And buy more Apple stuff.

Well I'm off to replace my iPhone...going onto the 4th one...this was worth the 200 extra I paid for sure :rolleyes:

CJD2112
Sep 5, 2007, 01:25 PM
I'm ticked. I spent $200 more for the same product in June, now it is $399! My friend just bought an iPhone 8 GB for the full price, they should give those customers some sort of reimbursement or iTunes credit. :mad:

hellodon
Total bummer....For the price I paid for 2 of these, I could now get 3...and it's been roughty 65 days....I have about 300 dollars left on my credit card paying them off, I would have been +$100 if I woulda waited.

I'm fine with price drops, it happens...but how often does something happen this soon. I was expecting maybe a $100 dollar drop, not $200.....so lame.

"the customer satisfaction numbers on the iPhone are off the charts"

Yeah...but now that you ripped all of us off, I'm sure our moods have changed a bit.

Cybergypsy
Hummmm so if my 4 G phone goes bad????????

Trekkie

No ****, was thinking the exact same thing. I've not even had it for two months. I understand price drops, but *that* is ridiculous.

mainstreetmark
Relax everybody!

New technology always fluctuates on price, and if you didn't EXPECT this, then you were diluting yourself. The price dropping entitles none of you to a discount - you purchased it at the advertised price, and if I recall, were all more than willing to do so. Now it's cheaper: so what.

DON'T BUY NEW PRODUCTS if you hate it so much.

Buncha whiners...

(in fact, it sounds like most people happily paid the $600)

Small White Car
Don't ANY of you remember the "iPod Photo?"

Anyone? :confused:

Who is surprised by this news? It's pretty much the same story again. You all made fun of those who said "Fanboy Tax." Heck, we were just being realistic. Don't complain now!

alywa
Yeah, being an early adopter sucks. Oh well.

/owner of a collector's item 4GB iPhone
//Do the right thing here, apple

Doctor Q
Sep 5, 2007, 01:26 PM
With the current pricing, the 8GB iPhone is now only $100 more than the new iPod touch model at the same storage capacity.For practical purposes, it's the service contract that makes the difference, not the purchase price.

zap2
Hey Apple, I'd sure take that new 8Gb Nano to make up for it!
:D:D

irun5k
Im starting a club... you all are invited to join... its called the I'M ******* PISSED ABOUT MY IPHONE DEAL club... dont worry... memberships are free for life... as you already paid $200 to Apple to beta test something for them.

Our first order of business... im protesting until everyone gets a $200 gift card...

I agree, this is a little hard to take. A price drop this soon!?! Has to be unheard of. I like the new price, I just think they should have been offered at that out of the gate. Would have shut a lot of the critics up as well.

Really, really odd.

macdaddy121
Why is everyone so upset....did you not think they would drop the price???? Did you think they would keep the price the same forever....get over it....you knew you were paying a premium for being the early switchers...

nemaslov
They made everyone happy except for those who already bought an iPhone.:mad:. I get my iPod Classic with 160GB.:D Music lovers who have huge collections are happy now.:p

You all should be happy with your widescreen tochy iPod. Enjoy it! ;)

sixth
WHY o WHY can apple/at&t OPEN THIS TO BUSINESS CUSTOMERS?!!

And add TRUE Exchange SUPPORT...not IMAP.

They NEED to add the business support!!!

Cybergypsy
I for 1 dont care i would have paid more for the iPhone then 599.00

BKF
People, I feel your pain. But this is the world of high-tech. It's ever been thus, even if this is somewhat of an extreme case. As for those of us who were waiting for 2nd gen, this may push us over the edge. Come January I'm sure I'll regret it, but it will be a sweet four months in the meantime.

drater
i feel like a $200 whore

k2director
Sep 5, 2007, 01:27 PM
A $200 price drop after only 2 months from launch is unfair to Apple's original iPhone customers. Either Apple is panicking that iPhone sales haven't been up to expectations, OR Apple was overcharging for the phone 2 months ago at launch.

Apple needs to do something for its original customers to avoid very very bad blood.

Superdrive
I'm ticked. I spent $200 more for the same product in June, now it is $399! My friend just bought an iPhone 8 GB for the full price, they should give those customers some sort of reimbursement or iTunes credit. :mad:

No they should not go wild giving everyone who adopted early credit or refunds. Everyone who bought one already got to use an iPhone for two months. Everyone saw this price drop coming at one point or another...

zwida
ah well, hard to complain too much.

I'll just keep telling myself that...

lord patton
they offered a $200 Apple Store credit when they dropped the price of Aperture from $500 to $300.

I bet they do the same now. Although, it will cost them about 200 million dollars.

zap2
[QUOTE=mainstreetmark;4133419]
New technology always fluctuates on price, and if you didn't EXPECT this, then you were diluting yourself.
/QUOTE]

Not really...Apple price stay basicly the same...the product get upgrades, but only after like a year...and then the price is the same.

A price drop after 2 month is a brand new thing for Apple.

tribulation
Ditto here. I plan to go by the Apple Store later today and raise some serious hell about this.

Ok sorry I really do feel bad for everyone that paid that much. But this is almost too funny. Luckily I'm not one of them. Apple has never screwed over their early adopters like this before, very strange. I'd be pretty POd right now too.

Seriously though, they should have at least offered a $50 iTunes gift card to all current iphone owners or something to calm down the uproar. This is going to get them some bad press.

Still no 3rd party software support on any of this? Still a joke then I think.

xyian
Ha ha! All you megageeks that couldn't wait are getting the shaft!
I will never buy an iPhone as I'm not a smartphone kinda guy but
the iPod touch sure looks fun!

gt1948
Sep 5, 2007, 01:28 PM
Stood inline and paid $599.....

Want a dam refund of 200 smackers Stevo:mad::mad:

And when do I get my headset back from engineering, the headset that shorts out when it gets sweaty?????

filman408
Sep 5, 2007, 01:29 PM
Relax everybody!

New technology always fluctuates on price, and if you didn't EXPECT this, then you were diluting yourself. The price dropping entitles none of you to a discount - you purchased it at the advertised price, and if I recall, were all more than willing to do so. Now it's cheaper: so what.

Buncha whiners...

We all expected it, but not after only 60 days.

They did this with Aperture (from $500 to $300) as well, but they offered store credit for the difference. They better do that here as well.

sixth
Looks like its back to hackin my phone :-)

this is stupid though...i was really hoping for exchange email support and opening to business accounts.

LimeiBook86

That would be spectacular. :p :D

At least I didn't buy the 8GB iPhone, although I'm still angry about a price drop this soon.

Cybergypsy
Ha ha! All you megageeks that couldn't wait are getting the shaft!
I will never buy an iPhone as I'm not a smartphone kinda guy but
the iPod touch sure looks fun!

Not shafted at all , had it while you were dreaming of it :)

SpookTheHamster
Jesus, guys. Prices change, do people go ******* when a car company drops the price of their car by several thousand when they've already had it for 3 months? If you were expecting the price to stay the same then you obviously don't understand business, especially in the mobile phone industry.

If you bought your phone in the past 2 weeks, chances are you'll get the difference back if you ask.

ziwi
I am waiting for the iPhone shuffle - the one that looks like this http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/images/C/C1046.jpg

Holyghost
For a product less than 2 months old, this amounts to a swift kick in the nuts. For me, 200$ is a significant amount of money.

I am speechless. Really poor on Apple's part. It will no doubt piss off the very loyal fan base who helped them sell 1 million phones - I hope they consider that.

puckhead193
suxs to those to bought it early...
Now more importantly.. no news for you select europeans... I want a 3g iphone ASAP! :D Come on, you don't want to miss the christmas holiday

zap2
they offered a $200 Apple Store credit when they dropped the price of Aperture from $500 to $300.

I bet they do the same now. Although, it will cost them about 200 million dollars.

really....I'm going to email Apple then!

Personal I think thats a good idea, if Apple done it before, why not again?

I'm off to Apple Offical Forums!

zioxide
Sep 5, 2007, 01:30 PM
haha you idiots.. thats what happens when you buy a product first. guess what? newer **** comes out, prices come down.

you don't deserve 200. If you wanted it cheaper, you should have waited.

haha.

jrlcopy
Ok sorry I really do feel bad for everyone that paid that much. But this is almost too funny. Luckily I'm not one of them. Apple has never screwed over their early adopters like this before, very strange. I'd be pretty POd right now too.

Seriously though, they should have at least offered a $50 iTunes gift card to all current iphone owners or something to calm down the uproar. This is going to get them some bad press.

Still no 3rd party software support on any of this? Still a joke then I think.

I understand the price drop, but the fact that it is less than 2 full months after the product is out is what pisses me off. $200 after 2 months is ridiculous. Hey, I'll take a coupon to the apple store, I am in the market for a new mac pro and would be more than glad to apply the savings. I am waiting to see what happens with you all calling and complaining before I do it also.

chucksmac
the next time apple makes a great new product and we are all wetting our pants about it, let's remember this moment. let's make sure we all don't run out and buy the piece great goodness for this is very well likely to happen again. this is bs and my confidence in apple has dropped. i never post on this forum, i lurk, but this has gotten me out of my hole just so i can rant. this stink will be smelled for miles on every news channel and every newpaper. what a load. i own 8 macs and a ton of other apple products and i have never felt this angry about that company.

ziwi
For a product less than 2 months old, this amounts to a swift kick in the nuts. For me, 200$ is a significant amount of money.

I am speechless. Really poor on Apple's part. It will no doubt piss off the very loyal fan base who helped them sell 1 million phones - I hope they consider that.

Maybe they will send them a bunch of coupons....:)

fastbite
Totally incredible stuff, heavy duty price drop! Brilliant! feel sorry for the guys that just got one before this...

vendettabass
Sep 5, 2007, 01:31 PM
ok now I want my £249 iPhone UK

mpuck972
I think what most early adopters are mad about is the price drop so fast. When you look at gaming systems and other hot ticket items, price drops come way into the products life, not 60 days into it. I for one knew that eventually the phone would change, and possibly even lower in price. But this soon, I dont think anyone expected Apple to admit a mistake and drop the price so soon.

I was even watching the event unfold today as I was contemplating buying a second Apple product in terms of a new iPod to replace my Zune, but why should I go get a brand new one if the price is going to drop in two months.

I say give all current iPhone owners credit towards the purchase of other apple products.

Hopstretch
Hahahaha. I knew it! And yet I still couldn't make myself wait to buy one. You win this round Jobs, you magnificent bastard.

Redline13
Sep 5, 2007, 01:32 PM
Ditto here. I plan to go by the Apple Store later today and raise some serious hell about this.

Please don't. No one who works there had anything to do with the decisions your upset about.

mduser63
I'm not as outraged as some people around the internet seem to be. It sucks to have paid $200 more, but then I have really enjoyed my iPhone for the last two months and (for me anyway), $200 is not that much money. I do hope that Apple does something nice like sending $50 or $100 iTunes gift cards to all early iPhone purchasers. They did something like this when the dropped the price on Aperture soon after launch, did they not?

p0intblank
That is one hell of a price drop!!!

Rooskibar03
Could be worse.

You could be an eBay seller with a stash of $200 losses staring you in the face.

trunkster

I hope your serious because I am. We really need to let Apple know how pissed off we are. I've never seen a product lowered by $200 in just a few months.

Wyvernspirit
Sep 5, 2007, 01:33 PM
A little mad as I haven't even had the iPhone for a month and the price has gone down by $200. $200...$200 can't get over that. wouldn't have been as mad if it were only $100, but 2...$200. next time I better wait at least till a second revision so as not to over pay for something.

Erm... :confused:

Out...

treblah
Where is that waaaa-bulance pic when you need it. :rolleyes:

DaftUnion
Damn I'm pissed about this! Okay a 50 dollar price drop wouldn't bother me but a $200 one is a lot to let slide. Arghhh!

lawcomic
If Apple does not offer a $200 credit (even if its to iTunes store) to all who bought this thing initially, I would hope we would all agree never to buy another Apple product within its initial 6 months.

Changing prices is one thing. Doing so so quickly after launch is another.

ANTMUZ
SAN FRANCISCO—September 5, 2007—Apple® today announced that it is on track to sell its one millionth iPhone™ before the end of September, and to make iPhone affordable for even more customers this holiday season, it is lowering the price of the most popular iPhone model with 8GB of storage from $599 to just $399.

Are they fobbing it off as a promotional offer for the "holiday season"?

TuckBodi
Sep 5, 2007, 01:34 PM
I look at it this way compared to the new Touch and the $200 price drop. For $200 dollars I get crappy AT$T service with dropped calls everywhere and 1 bar of service and an Edge network which takes 5 minutes to download an email. Everytime I see their commercials I think class-action lawsuit for lying to us.

I have to take my MBP in this week because of heat issues and I'm gonna bitch about the $200 dollar price drop and see what they say...

TheScappian
absolute slap in the face for their loyal early adopters. I understand price drops but only 2 months after the release?? Sure was nice of us to pay an extra 200 to be their beta testers.

I am willing to sign up with whoever wants to start up the Class Action suit.

saxman
The price drop was quick, but it was going to happen eventually.

Since they are now using the same screen/touch-interface on two high-profile products, they will get a bigger discount. They are passing that discount along to the customers, which actually, is somewhat unusual for a company with pricey products.

I know it hurts, but when you buy something, you buy it for the price at the time which you think if fair. If it wasn't fair, you shouldn't have bought it. The iPhone is still great when purchased in June as it is in September

VoodooDaddy
Here is my plan of attack.. I just bought a 4gb refurb 10 days ago for 399. Returning that immediately and buying either a 4gb refurb again (will surely be 299 or less IF they are still available) or turn around and buy an 8gb for the same price I paid for the 4gb.

outlandos

What you are gonne do next time?

Buy a Zune?

No, Apple doesnt give a damn!

tlhash
I bought an 8 gig on day 1, but I'm not pissed. Great product.

nippyjun
Looks like us early adopters are subsidizing the price drop!

Give us a coupon or some free songs!

iSee
Sep 5, 2007, 01:35 PM
Wow, the price of being on the cutting edge is pretty clear now: Exactly $200 over 2+ months!

Oh well, I was never the 1st guy on the block with the latest, coolest gadget before... I did enjoy it :D.

Anyway, I was thinking Apple wasn't going to make its 10M iPhones by the end of '08 target.

With this price cut, though, I don't think that will be a problem...

Cybergypsy
Could be worse.

You could be an eBay seller with a stash of $200 losses staring you in the face.

Ok you just made smile .......Thanks :)

Ja Di ksw
I hate it when companies lower the prices on their products! If I had to pay a certain price, everyone else should too. If they lower the price, I should at least be reimbursed for the extra amount I spent. I know I thought the product was worth a certain price (after all, I bought it at that price), but now that other people can get it for cheaper it's no longer worth the original price for me. The company owes me money for my mistake.

Oh, wait. I'm not 10. Ignore the previous paragraph.

zap2
Sep 5, 2007, 01:36 PM
DEAL WITH IT

That is all....

Apple rebated Aperture users when they lowered the price from 500 to 300...

Did you tell them to not get the 200 credit?

No.....we want what Apple gave Aperture users..nothing more!

faintedlife
Could've been worse. You could've bought a PPC iMac the day before the Intel came out, like a friend did against my advice.

lord patton
It wouldn't actually cost them $200,000,000 (~900,000*200) if they gave the credit in the form of an Apple Store coupon.

The money would still be coming into them, and with their margins as high as they are, they wouldn't lose that much.

I think they'll do it. Customer satisfaction means a lot to them. I'm surprised they didn't announce a policy at the event. I mean, they knew there would be outrage. Perhaps by withholding news of a rebate policy, they're hoping not everyone will take advantage of it (which would be shady, but possible).

bravedeer
You bought it. So what that it's cheaper now? When you buy a new car, one week later you've lost thousands of dollars. DEAL WITH IT!

ninethirty
Well... this does seem like kind of a douche thing to do, but it's not the end of the world either. I'd love to know what the real reason for the price cut is (not selling well, etc) but I also don't really care. Anyone who was willing to spend $600 on a cell phone should not be whining about a possible $200 saved dollars. I love my iPhone and it's worth what I paid for it. I say, hopefully a lot more people who couldn't swingi $600 pick one up and see what they think.

Squonk
I wonder if you get a refurb 8 gig now is it still $100 cheaper. So $299 for a refurb 8gig iphone?

I hope so, but I kinda doubt it. I'm just waiting for the store to come back up!!!

And how much will the 4GB refurbs be now???? ;):D:apple:

nickthebrodie
I'm 3 days past the 14-day return period. I want my $200 also. I must say as a first time Apple product buyer, I'm severely disappointed.

I'm three days passed my return as well and frankly with as much as I've spent on apple the in the last month I want my $200 back.

sparks9
Sep 5, 2007, 01:37 PM
you are a bunch of whiners! :D

D1G1T4L
Sep 5, 2007, 01:39 PM
Could've been worse. You could've bought a PPC iMac the day before the Intel came out, like a friend did against my advice.

That isn't bad! What is bad is buying it 15 days before the intel came out.

rjgonzales
When Aperture dropped $200, Apple issued $200 credits to early adopters......

saxman
Could be worse.

Ouch... That has GOT to hurt

thomasfxlt
Hey...I bought one for my wife and I.

Too bad for me, but the upside is that Apple recognizes what it takes to compete in the cell phone market. Total aggression. Go for the throat Steve. Palm could be roasted quickly. As far as MS building a Zunephone....try it.

JPark
Wow, not a happy place to be right now. I feel for all you early adopters who were so valuable in making the launch successful.

My guess is that they jacked up the price at launch in order to keep the demand in check.

tpete
If Apple had offered it at 400 bucks a couple month ago, but you couldn’t find one anywhere and someone offered to sell you a brand new sealed one for an additional $200, would you have bought it? I would have.

ajhill
iPhone is a great product with a lot of interest. But many who were amazed by the iPhone, said yes it's amazing, but it's also $600.

Now it's still just as amazing and desirable as ever and it's $400.

That reduction in price will melt a lot a resistance to iPhone sales to the general public. And Apple still gets their signing bonus and cut of the monthly bill.

They will be just fine and the sales numbers should go up as a result of the price drop.

Lancetx
A $200 price drop only a mere 68 days after it's introduction is a bit steep for an early adopter tax. The early adopters are Apple's best customers and they're going to have to do something for them on this one.

rayward
Sep 5, 2007, 01:40 PM
As an owner of an iPhone 600, I'm a little surprised/annoyed that there's such a big price drop so soon. It's only really been two months. When they were first released, it was reported that Apple's profit margin was over 50%, which means that they're still making $100/unit at the new, lower price! The 4GB unit looks like a complete rip off now, too.

The only thing I can think of is that there was a short-term pricing conflict between the iPhone coming out and the iPod refresh today. They probably didn't want people buying iPhones instead of iPods as that would send a bad message to the market about the future of iPods, which is Apple's meal ticket.

The real question is what this does to the opening day sales of the next brand new Apple product. Will the early adopters be as prepared to rock up and buy on day #1? After all, those of us who did for the iPhone just paid $200 for the privilege of proving Apple's product for them.

roland.g
I got burned with my Apple TV too. 160GB came out 2 months later for $100 more. Gee $299 for 40 GB, $399 for 160GB.

But this is an even bigger slap in the face. Why they don't drop the price on my new 2.8GHz 24" iMac by say $500-600.

Wait let me bend over first.

Ok, now I'm ready.

Tell you what Apple, you just lost 1 year of references from an ex-employee.

GenesisST
DAMMIT...I knew I should have waited a couple months past launch! I too am pissed off...can't wait for the Zune Phone (JK!)

"The fanboys have no patience"
- Yoda

TwoSyllables
I will NEVER EVER EVER EEEEVVVVEEEERRRRRR buy a 1st gen Apple product again. And I am infinitely less likely to say good things about my iPhone now because I feel SO ripped off.

While we may be suckers, I think a good amount of the nearly 1M iPhone early adopters feel the same way. If the fanboys aren't going to buy stuff right away, then who is?

APPLENEWBIE
Sep 5, 2007, 01:41 PM
The drop in iPhone price has everything to do with iPod pricing. The iPod Touch 8gb is $299. There was no way people were going to accept a $300 premium for the iPhone. I now feel that I have been "released" to get all the great iPod Touch features that I wanted without having to deal with a switch in cell providers to ATT.

I wonder... is there mic / audio input so that we can VOIP?

benfilan
was there any indication when the ipod touch will be available in the uk??:cool:

kellen
Peoples true sides are really coming out in the comments seen here.

A 200 drop is 33%, alot for an item that was released 2 months ago. What about the people who bought it 3 weeks ago?

I bought one on release day and love it, but this does put a sour taste in my mouth. fluctuating between it was coming (but wayyyyy to soon) and I had a great phone.

Oh well. Perhaps some complaining to apple will help.

Rocketman
Sep 5, 2007, 01:42 PM
The price drop is big news. It is also large in magnitude indeed. We will soon see the european iPhone release announcement and come October 1, 2007 all this stuff will be shipping en masse.

iPod Touch is a world killer product.

Rocketman

DesignerOnMac

No sympathy here! NO ONE TOLD you to be the FIRST IN LINE!! NO ONE forced you to by ANY phone, or computer, etc...just to say you got one!!

Thats the price you pay for volunteering to stand in line and get your iPhone! Everyone KNOWS that prices come down later, ESPECIALLY with cell phones!

GIve me a break and stop whining! You had the money to buy the iPhone, now live with it! Man what a bunch of cry babies!

nfocus design
I am not going to get too upset just yet. I was one of the ones that received a gift card on the Aperture deal. I'll give Apple a chance to make things right before I let myself get angry.

Twinkie
the next time apple makes a great new product and we are all wetting our pants about it, let's remember this moment. let's make sure we all don't run out and buy the piece great goodness for this is very well likely to happen again. this is bs and my confidence in apple has dropped. i never post on this forum, i lurk, but this has gotten me out of my hole just so i can rant. this stink will be smelled for miles on every news channel and every newpaper. what a load. i own 8 macs and a ton of other apple products and i have never felt this angry about that company.I hate to admit it, but I almost feel the same way.

This year alone, I pre-ordered an AppleTV, only to have the price drop and drive upgrade available almost a month later.

Then the AEBS, which I bought the day it came out, only to see it upgraded to GigE two months later.

And now with the iPhone...

I totally understand that prices drop, and technology improves. But when I've been waiting for just under a year for Apple to do a measly processor bump (or price drop) on the lower end Mac Pro models, this feels like a punch in the nuts. :(

ChipSeraphine
Sep 5, 2007, 01:43 PM

Maybe I'll start the counteracting "Take Responsibility For Your Actions" club, then.

Apple dealt with the likelihood of shortages in the most profitable way-- by keeping prices high until the initial rush wore down, then lowering them to a sustainable level. Any economist will tell you that a shortage is an artifact of incorrect pricing.

Look at it this way-- if prices had started out at this level, you probably wouldn't have even *had* an iPhone the last 3 months, because they would have been impossible to get ahold of. Think of it as paying a $70/month fanboy tax for getting the product early.

petefza
According to the Apple Store...and it says while supplies last...

rayward
was there any indication when the ipod touch will be available in the uk??:cool:

It's available worldwide. It uses WiFi only, so it's truly international.

glide
It ships worldwide when it is released.

Andrew07
Sep 5, 2007, 01:44 PM
I bought my 8Gb iPhone from my local AT&T store 20 days ago on my Visa. Am I just screwed $200?

MacD
I love my iPhone and still love it the same as I did when I walked home with it, after waiting in line for 8 hours.

I have never had a Apple product drop so much in such a short time. While I think it's great that Apple is able to sell it for $399, that means more people will adopt them, but it really sucks that it dropped so much in such a short time.

Sure, I figured new ones would come out, but at least 6 months, or perhaps only when a 3G model comes out. It's not like the introduced a new one, and its better, for the same price, it's the exact same model!

Oh well.

ibwb
Old price:
iPhone: $600, two years of service: $1560, total: $2160

New price:
iPhone: $400, two years of service: $1560, total: $1960

Price difference: $200, or 10%. Why freak out over a 10% price drop?

DirectriX
Way to go! ******* piece of **** Apple! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

tsp7
Sep 5, 2007, 01:45 PM
Sorry to make my 1st post to this forum so negative. But I really don't feel like a valued Apple customer!!! This is my reward for blind loyalty? I pretty much bought my 8gb iPhone on the release date because it was an Apple product and assumed it would integrate well with my Apple-powered lifestyle. I've even been patient waiting for updates.

I guess I just invested $200 into Apple stock with no dividends!

:mad:
:mad:

mdriftmeyer
Sep 5, 2007, 01:46 PM
Way to go! ******* piece of **** Apple! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Boohoo. Tell your HDTV provider the same for dropping prices way below early adopter.

CWallace
Well, be careful what you wished for.

Folks wanted a 16GB (or more) iPod with all the iPhone's functionality, but without the cell phone part. And they wanted it cheap.

Well, they got their wish (and, hey, good for them). But that suddenly made the 8GB iPhone at $599 to be grossly mis-priced in comparison.

So Apple did what they would have eventually done, they just accelerated it really ahead of schedule.

huntercr

Uh, no, but you can be proud to be holding a receipt for paying the early adopter tax. Where have you been the last 20 years. If you want something as soon as it comes out, you pay the early adopter tax.

VoodooDaddy
According to the Apple Store...and it says while supplies last...

curious how you know this since the store is still down?

I bought a 4gb 10 days ago. Want to return and buy another for whatever the cheaper price is.

glacon
I'm furious with Apple. They should do something for those of us who paid $200 more two months and a few days ago. It has not even been 3 months. Free Apple care extension, gift card to the iTunes store... I don't know. I've spent a small fortune on Apple products this year. We should ban together and do something. I for one am writing a heated letter

Justin

morg0052
I'm very dissapointed in apple, don't get me wrong I love the iphone, but they have to realize the kind of people that buy the products and then reccomend them all to there friends are the reason why they are doing so well, this is going to kill them over the long run if they don't do anyting about it. 200 dollars after two months on the shelves is a joke.

rdrr
How long was the last rev of the mac mini, iMac, or an other apple product out at the same price level? $200 drop after 2 months is a crime! :mad:

mrrory
Sep 5, 2007, 01:48 PM
After only three months, they're dropping the price by $200? And deleting the 4GB iPhone?

I know there's a "bleeding edge" penalty, but jesus. There's a lot of pissed-off iPhone owners right now. I'm sure. :mad:

Yeh, what's next? "Oh about that exclusivity with AT&T thing... yeh we're dropping that too."

I'm annoyed that I'm $200 out of pocket, and that I only really wanted the iPod touch anyway... The phone aspect is still rather surplus to requirements. $200 for visual voicemail? Wow...

'73-B
Just FYI, the apple store online is showing remaining 4gb iPhones for $299! Not sure that that really makes any early adopters feel better though.

blueskybyway
The majority of iPhone buyers--nearly 1 million by Apple's count--were promoting the crap out of the iPhone to anyone who would listen. Those 1 million customers were Apple's best sales people. I doubt Apple will totally alienate them by not offering at least some type of credit toward a future Apple purchase.

Any takers?;)

whickey
Sep 5, 2007, 01:49 PM
1) If you bought your ipod in the last 60 days and used some sort of credit card..MasterCard / Visa / Amex ... some cards offer price protection. All you have to do is show them the new price in an advertisment with the 200 dollar price drop, file a claim and you can get your 200 bucks back.

Example: http://www.wamu.com/NR/rdonlyres/126F31B2-6279-4FDF-A4BF-A5DAEC6C6CF3/0/Value_shop_2006.pdf

2) Some credit cards offer extended protection / warranty / loss clauses. Basically smash your iphone on the wall, ask for the amount you paid, then buy a new phone at the cheaper price and get the difference.

JGF0x
Oh my God!!! Enough people! EVERY single manufacturer out there does this. I bought my Xbox 360 a year and a half ago and now they added HDMI and lowered the price... Should I be getting a rebate?!

I bought my Macbook Pro in September 2006 shortly before they introduced the Core 2 Duo chips and 802.11n networking built-in... should I get a free upgrade?!

People bought computers in July 2007 and then iLife '08 came out in August... should they get free upgrades?!

No. Suck it up! All companies take advantage of the hype, price things accordingly, and then gradually improve the product from there.

IF THE PRODUCT MEETS YOUR NEEDS WHEN YOU BOUGHT IT THEN YOU PAID THE RIGHT PRICE AND GOT WHAT YOU PAID FOR! If you're an idiot who bought it just to have one then CONGRATULATIONS! you are a sheep. I hope you enjoy the rest of your bahhhhhhhhhhhhh day! :rolleyes:

X86BSD
Wow all you whiners who bought the iphone on its release are either A) first time apple buyers or B) can't come to grips with buying a Rev. A Apple product.

Deal with it. You know how many of us have had this happen when we bought the first Intel Rev. A laptops? or countless other first gen Apple products?? THIS IS THE PRICE YOU PAY FOR BUYING REV A PRODUCTS. Wow. How long has Apple been around? Get with the program folks. I swear this happens with every new product. It's been 30 years people, come on. You knew this was going to happen. Quit filling the thread with your Rev A buyers remorse anger.

X

shawnce
Old price:
iPhone: $600, two years of service: $1560, total: $2160

New price:
iPhone: $400, two years of service: $1560, total: $1960

Price difference: $200, or 10%. Why freak out over a 10% price drop? Yeah not sure why folks are bitching that much...

Apple priced it judging on their production volume and estimates of demand. They likely priced it higher then they planned long term to limit the up front demand given product volumes and expected demand based on the hype. Now that things have leveled out demand wise and they have real data to work on they re-priced it (also aligned it with the rest of the iPod product line).

/me Happy owner of a heavily used 8 GiB iPhone purchased on the first weekend and a happy Apple stock owner.

JOHNGAETANO
Sep 5, 2007, 01:50 PM
How can you be mad? You handed them the cash, they didn't steal it from you.

kellen
Lot of peole here like rubbing it in the early adopters faces. Would like to see them in the other peoples shoes.

I think most people are familiar with being on the cutting edge and paying a premium, but 2 months later a 33% drop is pretty drastic.

Think of the last big purchase you made and then think how you would feel.

petefza

I bought a 4gb 10 days ago. Want to return and buy another for whatever the cheaper price is.

The store was up for a few minutes and it was at the bottom, right under the special deals logo.

macridah
that's quite a big early adopters tax. so much so fast! 33% off in 2 months!

What does this say about current sales ...
That must be the new supply and demand price.

Scottgfx
wow, this is utter ********. not only is it 200 cheaper, that means ******* APPLE was making at LEAST 200 per phone.

And you are all shocked by this?
How about some cheese with that whine?

Last I heard, this is still a free market society. The government hasn't stepped in with iPod Price Controls... yet. It sound like some of you might like that.

ChrisA
Sep 5, 2007, 01:51 PM
Wow, not a happy place to be right now. I feel for all you early adopters who were so valuable in making the launch successful.

My guess is that they jacked up the price at launch in order to keep the demand in check.

That is exactly what I was thinking. The worst disaster for Apple would be to sell so many phones on the first day that no one could activate them or contact customer service. That almost happened. Apple came close to selling to many.

Why do people complain about a price drop? They looked at the $600 price and thought is was a good deal. If it was then it still is. If you wait long enough these these will be nearly free on ebay and Goodwill thrift shops.

Those ideots wanting to bring a class action suit are going to have to show how Apple changeing the price a any effect what so ever on them. You have to remember -- what Apple does to the guy standing in back of you in line has zero effect on you.

I think I paid $600 for a 10MB disk drive once. (yes 10MB not 10GB) do I complain to Seagate? Not $600 was a fantastic deal back in 1982.

glide
Uh, no, but you can be proud to be holding a receipt for paying the early adopter tax. Where have you been the last 20 years. If you want something as soon as it comes out, you pay the early adopter tax.

If that's the case they can keep my $200 this time and next time I need to spend $2,000 on a notebook, I'll just give it to someone other than Apple.

If we want to talk about early adopter taxes and general business practices; they better make good on this to avoid a backlash.

Ramsos
I can sympathize with you guys that are upset, If I were in your shoes I would be mad too. But since I waited, I'm very happy and will be ordering my brand new as soon as the store goes back up. Oh happy day :D:apple::D

pacohaas
suck it up whiners. You knew from day 1 it was an overpriced phone, you were willing to shell out the $$ even up til the last week before you knew this "music centered" event was coming. You have nobody to blame but yourselves. You got the $200 "awe" factor for having it before the rest of us sensible people grabbed ours.

...off to get my $399 iPhone today :p

drater

you have 14 days....RUN! BRING RECEIPT!

rayward
Sep 5, 2007, 01:52 PM
The majority of iPhone buyers--nearly 1 million by Apple's count--were promoting the crap out of the iPhone to anyone who would listen. Those 1 million customers were Apple's best sales people. I doubt Apple will totally alienate them by not offering at least some type of credit toward a future Apple purchase.

Any takers?;)

Nope. It would be a terrible precedent to set because once you agree that you should refund price drops on one product, albeit an extraordinary one, you could be forced into doing it on every product no manner how small the change.

VoodooDaddy
Just FYI, the apple store online is showing remaining 4gb iPhones for $299! Not sure that that really makes any early adopters feel better though.

How the hell are you even getting to the store?? All I get is "be back soon"??

jaw04005
As an Apple stock holder, the price drop is not good news. The only reason a company drops the price on anything is to increase sales. This could explain why APPL is down almost $5.00.

hah116
I think that all of the early adopters should voice their opinion to Apple personally. Let it out... I would be upset too.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/share/

ClaphamChris
While I can understand people getting upset about the $200, remember Apple's playing in the mobile phone market here, not the iPod market - and that's what happens in this sector. Two/three months in and the prices drop like there's no tomorrow.

Think there's a degree of inevitability to it, but people who were sucked in early on the back of it being an Apple product expected Apple pricing policies, but they got mobile phone pricing policies.

Sympathies, but was always going to happen.

joeconvert
haha you idiots.. thats what happens when you buy a product first. guess what? newer **** comes out, prices come down.

you don't deserve 200. If you wanted it cheaper, you should have waited.

haha.

And Apple has done this before when without changing the hardware?

sabr
Sep 5, 2007, 01:53 PM
i happily bought 2 iphones on release date. normally, i don't mind the apple version 1.0 tax, but this is on the extreme edge of what is reasonable. i'd be happy with a small concession, like free applecare for the iphone.

apple's expectations for iphone sales must have been way, way off for them to have lowered the price this much. i guess 10 million phone sales was totally unreachable after the initial iphone craze.

erova
let's all remember before we get too salty that apple's stock was in the high 80's when the iphone was announced. that means that while I paid a $200 early adoption fee, my 100 shares of apple have gone from around 9 thousand bucks to close $14000. i'll make that trade.

kingnimrod
get on 1800-MY-APPLE right now and politely voice your displeasure with the sudden price drop.

Apple should offer some kind of credit back to early adopters, maybe in the form of service credits or itunes credit or something.

This is the kind of action that is going to cause a lot of distrust among customers of a company that supposedly cares about customer satisfaction.

Early adopters always pay a premium, but this is absolutely ridiculous! That news could very well hinder sales of the new Ipod touch, because many will be waiting for a Christmas price-drop.

Come on steve. Time to wear a shirt that won't restrict the oxygen from your brain!

lord patton
Look. There's some truth on both sides here.

People paid $600 because they thought it was worth it. ok.

But Apple is still pissing on their best customers.

I think calls for class action lawsuits are b.s. At the end of the day, if Apple screws us, they didn't do anything illegal. If they offer no recourse, call them bastards or stop buying their stuff, or whatever. But I agree completely that we have no *right* to demand anything.

But they should want satisfied customers. They should do right by the ones who gave them the best p.r. they could dream of. And I think they will.

Snide
Here is my plan of attack.. I just bought a 4gb refurb 10 days ago for 399. Returning that immediately and buying either a 4gb refurb again (will surely be 299 or less IF they are still available) or turn around and buy an 8gb for the same price I paid for the 4gb.

I'm in the same boat - ordered refurb 4 GB Aug 27th, received it Aug 29th (last Wed).

Is it possible to return this thing and eat the restocking fee? Also, since it's
been activated, I'm sure that'll throw a nice wrench in the works...Any ideas?

DirectriX
Sep 5, 2007, 01:54 PM
I bought my Xbox 360 a year and a half ago and now they added HDMI and lowered the price...

I bought my Macbook Pro in September 2006 shortly before they introduced the Core 2 Duo chips and 802.11n networking built-in...

People bought computers in July 2007 and then iLife '08 came out in August... should they get free upgrades?!

iLife '08 is $79
Now please go shoot yourself! :)

dragracer.de
what about the current high-bidders for iphones on eBay right now?

Sorry for them :D

Island Dog
People paid $600 because they thought it was worth it. ok.

But Apple is still pissing on their best customers.

I agree. However, I won't buy a 1st gen Apple product ever again.

BrownManUPS
Hahahahahahaha that sucks.

michpope
I have been a early adopter of every product apple releases, and will continue to be when i bought my cell phone from another provider i had to pay full price for the phone and a month and a half later the phone was almost 150 dollars cheaper. you have to suck it up and deal with it and move on everyone was loving their iphone until now boo hoo. The product works perfect and was well worth the money i paid for it when i bought it on release date, 200 dollar price difference is nothing.

gt1948
Sep 5, 2007, 01:55 PM

3 months? try 2 months and 6 days....

Need a 200 buck refund

Sense Field
apple has a section on their web site for telling iphone stories....today I decided to write one...here it is...

I bought an iphone the day it came out for $599... I had to sacrifice and save as much as I could on my small salary to afford such a luxury item. I managed to save $100 a month for 6 months. So far I love the device but then....

today you dropped the price of my luxury item to $399...essentially making it a mass market item and robbing me of $200 and the luxury of owning one in the process.

To most $200 isn't much but to me its two of my monthly bills. its food for 2 months. its 1/4 of my monthly mortgage. Its a month of going out on the weekends. To some $200 isn't much but to me its everything. Living paycheck to paycheck on a graphic designers salary.

I will continue to buy apple products because I love them but next time I will be much less likely to be an early adopter.

Signed,
Michael *******
Still loving apple though feeling slightly robbed

post your own story at http://www.apple.com/iphone/share/

pacohaas
This would be a good one for those credit card offers of price protection. I usually sign up for the free trials of those offers and I believe the details are that if you find a lower price within 90 days of purchase, the CC company will refund you the difference. Anyone got the ball rolling on this type of deal on your 8GB iPhone?

'73-B
Sep 5, 2007, 01:56 PM
How the hell are you even getting to the store?? All I get is "be back soon"??

I can get to the www.apple.com/store but if I try the link for the $299 4gb iPhone I get the we'll be back soon message as well.

iQuit
Good news for people wanting an iPhone/iPod. Bad news for me and my 4 gig. :(

Only 100 mb left and plenty of music left in my iTunes. :(

ghall
I haven't even got my 4GB refurbished iPhone in. To think if I just waited, I could have had an 8GB brand new for the same price. AARRRGH!!

Spanky Deluxe
Look, everyone who's mad about this price drop, take a deep breath and relax. When you bought your phone you decided that the money asked for was fair and worth it. That hasn't changed now, if you thought it was fair and worth it when you paid for it, its still fair and worth it now. Just because other people can now buy it for cheaper shouldn't come in to it. Factors such as loss in resale value don't really apply because you're lumbered with it for two years anyway.
Personally, I have to say that this is a very good move on Apple's part. They would have had trouble marketing a $599 phone here in Europe. That would have equated to £375ish in a market where basically no mobile phones are sold for more than £50 with a 12 month contract. This will now mean that they can sell a phone for around £250ish over here and some people will spend that money on it. I still hope they bend the rules of subsidisation or at least reduce the contract to 12 months over here. I really think that 24 months to be locked into one phone in the current world of rapid technology turnover is rather daft.

zioxide
Sep 5, 2007, 01:57 PM
I hate it when companies lower the prices on their products! If I had to pay a certain price, everyone else should too. If they lower the price, I should at least be reimbursed for the extra amount I spent. I know I thought the product was worth a certain price (after all, I bought it at that price), but now that other people can get it for cheaper it's no longer worth the original price for me. The company owes me money for my mistake.

Oh, wait. I'm not 10. Ignore the previous paragraph.

WELCOME TO CAPITALISM.

They can charge whatever the **** they want, drop the price whenver the **** they want. That's how our economy works. **** comes out, and then the price drops.

chaseardoin7
i'm pissed too!

TheSailerMan
I don't know if this has been brought up yet (I haven't read all the pages), but if anyone remembers the huge price drop Apple gave Aperture when they upgraded it to version 1.1, they gave everyone who had previously purchased it a $300 rebate (I believe the price dropped from $499 to $199). So I wouldn't be surprised if Apple did the same thing with the iPhone.

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't offer a rebate.

banano1
1) If you bought your ipod in the last 60 days and used some sort of credit card..MasterCard / Visa / Amex ... some cards offer price protection. All you have to do is show them the new price in an advertisment with the 200 dollar price drop, file a claim and you can get your 200 bucks back.

Example: http://www.wamu.com/NR/rdonlyres/126F31B2-6279-4FDF-A4BF-A5DAEC6C6CF3/0/Value_shop_2006.pdf

2) Some credit cards offer extended protection / warranty / loss clauses. Basically smash your iphone on the wall, ask for the amount you paid, then buy a new phone at the cheaper price and get the difference.

whickey is exactly right...anyone with a decent credit card/credit history can contact their bank/issuer and get $200 back, especially if its within 90 days.

now, with that aside, why is anyone surprised? Apple is generally VERY good about keeping stable prices, unlike 99% of the rest of the electronics industry. And for most of your apple products, resale value stays very stable. look at used ipod/mini/macbook prices and you'll see.

next....this is a mobile phone, so you CANNOT judge it by typical apple pricing standards. I bought a samsung blackjack for $250, and saw it a month later for $75....and wasnt surprised. this type of stuff happens ALL the time with cellphones.

next....could it be that apple wasnt planning this at launch? I wonder if they saw microsoft or a whole host of other manufacturers preparing iphone look alikes? and with their specs and manufacturing costs set in place, apple slashes the iphone costs to stomp on their necks. why buy a nokia iphone imitation for $700 now? this keeps apple ahead of the market share curve for another generation of cell phones, and buys them time/volume/market until they do a technological revision, maybe increased capacity/3g/whatever else you want...?

CTYankee
Sep 5, 2007, 01:58 PM
We all expected it, but not after only 60 days.

They did this with Aperture (from $500 to $300) as well, but they offered store credit for the difference. They better do that here as well.

Because Aperture 1.0 was a read loser. Most pros would not touch it.

The iPhone is the total opposite. Hugely popular.

Deal with it people. Your lust and impatience cost you $200.

somberlaine
I am hoping Apple will send me a free copy OS 10.5.... I doubt it though. :mad:

Midirose
i feel like a $200 whore

LOL...... It least you were ****** and it was a good feeling. At least mine was.

Oh yeah and a 16GB iPhone without the phone,iPod.....they can keep that ****. I'll wait for the 160GB iPod touch widescreen model with in the next 18 months.....Marketing BS!!!!!!

Yebot
This was a rather dumb move on Apple's part. Who is going to buy another expensive first-generation Apple product? Just wait a few months and they'll knock 33% off the price.

Someone will always pay too much to be first.

erova
continuing my earlier comment, i'd be more cross if i thought the iphone was too much dough at $599, bought a treo for $250 and a plan, and now had to watch the iphone price drop announced today.

anubis
What a bunch of cry babies and drama queens.

The iPhone is a phone. Not a hedge against inflation.

Yes, I bought my 8 gig iPhone on the day they came out. It's a little upsetting but that's the price you pay for having cutting edge electronic gadgets. If you wanted to spend $600 in a way that would preserve its value over time, I'd recommend a good Large Cap Blend. In the meantime, quit whining and save the drama for yo mama!

min_t
Sep 5, 2007, 01:59 PM
Relax everybody!

Buncha whiners...

(in fact, it sounds like most people happily paid the $600)

Couldn't agree more. Buncha babies.

Bad-News
duh, it's a $200 fan boi tax. that's the price you pay for being an early adopter.

earnjam
I definitely feel like I got kicked in the balls. I love my iPhone, but a 33% drop is a good bit. Yeah, I got screwed on a macbrook pro price drop too, but I didn't care about that. Figured it was inevitable. It was like $200 out of $2400.

To those of you who are hating, if the price drop isn't such a big deal, how come apple's stock is down over 3% (-$4.62) after an awesome new product launch and price drop?

jaybrad
iPhone has only been out a little over two months and they dropped the price $200 bucks!

I just had a guy I know just buy one less than one week ago.
I bought mine right after it came out.

I feel ill and would love to have a little talk with Stevie about this and demand that he forks over my money now!!! Lowlife scum.

What a .... job!!!

morg0052
We have to let apple hear about this one. I love all there products and still would by an iphone again, but to lower the price this fast and that much is such a kick in the balls. I will be writing a serious email to them soon letting know how ridiculous this price drop is and how they are hanging their best customers out to dry.

sdschwendener
Sep 5, 2007, 02:00 PM
No fan boi tax about it. Its a good product.. but apple deserves their own
M$ style name.

(they just lost me)

CatharticFlux
I got pwned. :mad:

Would it really be that much to ask for a gift certificate at the Apple Store? I'm the worst kind of Kool-Aid drinker; daddy needs an MBP.:D

Cygnus311

The kids in the store had nothing to do with it and most likely didn't even know.

Kubrickx
The Apple site's iPhone forum is down.

JGF0x
iLife '08 is $79
Now please go shoot yourself! :)

Thank you for missing the point. Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ellsworth
I wonder what my the features and benefits of getting an iphone without activating it vs getting a touch ipod? Hmm. Does that 999-99-999 ss hack still work for the iphone? I might just have to purchase one at that price

chaseardoin7
i'm pissed too!
e-mailing apple now.

Bernie-Mac
Im not that upset because i bought 4 8gigs for a total of $2,400 and sold 2 on ebay for $1,200 each so in a sense i got my iphone for free but hey if Apple decided to refund early iPhone owners in some way, the extra $200 wouldnt hurt :D

Yebot
Sep 5, 2007, 02:01 PM
If the fanboys aren't going to buy stuff right away, then who is?

Fanboys who don't buy stuff on day one cease to be fanboys.

There will always be fanboys.

chr1s60
Does anyone know the web address or email where we can contact Apple to complain about this? I think all early adopters should write and complain. We should be paid $200 to test for Apple, not the other way around!!

Scottgfx
If that's the case they can keep my $200 this time and next time I need to spend $2,000 on a notebook, I'll just give it to someone other than Apple.

If it's a laptop you like, fine. But you're here on an Apple product forum. I will assume from that that you like Apple products. You're going to pass over that laptop computer that you really want, and your going to get the other one instead? Just to show them who's boss?

I have a feeling you would spend your entire time with that other laptop, wondering if you made the right decision.

macshark
The premium for buying a 8GB iPhone before September 5: $200

The chance to use your iPhone on a busy street while attracting leery glances from a crowd of onlookers for a two month period: Priceless!

:)

sammyman
Sep 5, 2007, 02:02 PM
Sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks Sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks Sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks Sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks Sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks Sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks Sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks Sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks Sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks sucks

maximus1323

Get over it already people. This happens all the time and if you were so concerned about $200, you should have waited then. We'll have a 16G iPhone for $599 soon I'm sure and there will be more bitchin' and moanin' by those that bought 8G for $399. Move on and find something better to do. I'll bet anyone that by being more constructive and productive, you'll make that $200 back pretty fast. I bought mine for $599 I and I am not upset one bit about it.

megfilmworks
I've had my iPhone since iDay and having it for the last 2 months plus has been worth more than $200. In fact, just buying it that first night was worth the money. How many of the people complaining spend more than $200 on entertainment, etc. If you are worried about $200 then you should buy a cheaper phone!!
Now I can buy one for my girlfriend (which I had planned to do this month) and save $200!! I come out even.

boss1
Why are people upset? You willingly agreed to pay for a product at a X price.

If Apple didn't announce a price drop you wouldn't be upset at all.

So it's my understanding that:

•You are not upset because of the price you agreed to pay. You were satisfied with your purchase at the time otherwise you would have returned it.

•You are upset because others can buy what you bought for cheaper than what you paid.

Apple isn't dropping the price of the phone to piss you off. They're dropping the price of the phone because it's not selling (that's Apple's major problem and solution)

I Paid 599 and I don't regret my purchase in the slightest bit. It would have been nice to know that the price was going to drop 200 in 2 months on June 29 but I don't think It would have affected my decision to buy.

I prob. would have still paid 599 on June 29 if we could somehow go back in time

MovieCutter
I bought an iPhone when they came out. I'd gladly pay my $600 again a week ago. Do you see me crying? It's the price of getting the latest and greatest.

Gosh
I feel sorry for those you have recently bought an iPhone - although some love it so much they might have paid twice the price!

It's a big price drop - in a relatively short time span so it's bound to feel a bit sore!

Make no mistake Apple would have loved to have maintain the premium but the market demands a lower price or this 3rd Apple business was going to fail and those lovely iPhones would end up in the attic with the Newton.

It's a superb iPod/iPhone and Mac line-up - feel the pride!

Bad-News
i'm loving this. Glad I waited on an iphone.

erova
I definitely feel like I got kicked in the balls. I love my iPhone, but a 33% drop is a good bit. Yeah, I got screwed on a macbrook pro price drop too, but I didn't care about that. Figured it was inevitable. It was like $200 out of $2400.

To those of you who are hating, if the price drop isn't such a big deal, how come apple's stock is down over 3% (-$4.62) after an awesome new product launch and price drop?

pay more attention then. apple's stock always gets hit after an announcement.

how's that nice investment in your car appreciating? oh wait, those go down, too?

Yebot
Sep 5, 2007, 02:03 PM
Store is back up.

refurb 8gig iphone = $349.00

no 4gigs

aardwolf
Sep 5, 2007, 02:03 PM
I smell a class action lawsuit. They just discontinued a phone I purchased 5 weeks ago... Steve Jobs just pissed off 1 million customers who will think twice before they buy a brand new Apple product again. :-(

johnnybluejeans
Sep 5, 2007, 02:04 PM
Anyone who thinks Apple is going to compensate early adopters is seriously out of their mind.

I believe without a doubt that Apple had this price drop planned before launch. You think they just come up with this stuff on the fly? Of course not. They know what manufacturing is going to run them down the line, they knew when they would be able to cut the price and make up the difference in quantity... in short, they know what they are doing. Apple is in the business of making money, not just pleasing early adopters.

Roughly 1 million people paid $599 for the iPhone and they were all happy as clams until this afternoon with their purchase. Millions more will happily buy the iPhone for $399. As for theory that they only dropped the price to make their 10M figure by the end of 08.. think again, that figure was also calculated based on future price drops.

christall109
HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH All you early adopters got *****up the you know what.

I'm only 17 yet I know NEVER to adopt an early product such as the iphone. I thought all those people waiting in line on the 29th were (fill in here).

Now I can put that 200 bux towards something better. Tomorrow I am getting an iPHONE YAYAAYAYAY

Ohyea and its $399 8GB!!!!!!!

/dev/toaster
apple has a section on their web site for telling iphone stories....today I decided to write one...here it is...

post your own story at http://www.apple.com/iphone/share/

Dude, it sounds to me like you shouldn't be purchasing an iPhone at all. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. No shame in that.

Don't buy a luxury item if you can't afford it ... Think about it ... would you go out and buy a BMW on your salary ?

pacohaas
I love the ebay phenomenon now. There will be so many people welshing on their bids now. I wish I could see a graph of negative feedback on ebay as a whole for the month of september.

'73-B

Even better yet... I called my local Apple store and they are selling the 4gb for $299 as well. They were even nice enough to hold one for me. Can't wait to leave work today!

brinycbri
Sep 5, 2007, 02:05 PM
pay more attention then. apple's stock always gets hit after an announcement.

how's that nice investment in your car appreciating? oh wait, those go down, too?

NOT TRUE: when the iphone came out the stock skyrocketed....this shows something

APPLENEWBIE
Once again: The drop in iPhone price has everything to do with iPod pricing. The iPod Touch 8gb is $299. There was no way people were going to accept a $300 premium for the iPhone.

Apple will sell probably 10x (20X? 50X?) as many iPod Touch units as they will iPhones. They knew that they had to keep iPod pricing competitive (whereas iPhone pricing apparently was not particularly price sensative, at least for those who bought before today...) The huge profits the iPod line generates had to be the main focus regarding iPod Touch pricing. And, once the iPod Touch 8 gb was priced at $299, the iPhone 8gb at $599 would look ridiculous.

YoungCreative
I also expected a price drop...eventually. But to do it so much in only 2 months! Apple has finally lost my loyalty.

vrillusions
I think pretty much everyone knew the price was going to drop at some point, it's inevitable. The shocking part was a $200 price drop in a little over two months. That's a really large drop for such a short amount of time. Now if they did the same thing 6 months from now, or dropped prices $100 for each I don't think there would be this big of an uproar.

Darkroom

LOTS of people... clearly... hahahah suckers!!!! :p

Andrew07
Sep 5, 2007, 02:06 PM
So when do you all think we can expect a 16Gb iPhone?

Radam
Sep 5, 2007, 02:06 PM
I think they should give out apple gift cards, because people would use them and that would be money back into the company so they basically would be making more money. I would happily take a 100 or 200 dollar refund gift card, i would put that towards apple care for my laptop, or something for xmas for myself, i just think it would be in the best interest of apple to give out refunds.

Much Ado
Sep 5, 2007, 02:07 PM
And those in the US cry over prices while the rest of us just watch, jealously.

glide
next....this is a mobile phone, so you CANNOT judge it by typical apple pricing standards. I bought a samsung blackjack for $250, and saw it a month later for $75....and wasnt surprised. this type of stuff happens ALL the time with cellphones.

But I thought the Iphone was the best iPod ever!? :rolleyes:

nickspohn
I'm still going to get my $200, whatever it takes.

But hey, i just spent the last 68 days with the best phone that not many other people had. And guess what, it's still the best phone and will be for quite some time.

stockcerts

Going to the Apple store and harrasing their employees will not get you anyhere. They don't make these decisions at this level. I learned a long time ago, it never pays to be the first kid on the block to own the new technology.

Rot'nApple
Sep 5, 2007, 02:08 PM
WOW....I can't believe this....it is great for everyone who doesn't own one but the people who did buy one will be upset!!!

I concur! I had to do a double take and make sure I read that correctly. Then I had to check my calender to make sure it was September 5th not April 1st!. That really stinks to high heaven for those that purchased the 8GB model 15 days ago or later. Apple should have given it at least 6 to 8 months at that price range before doing something like this and should have reduced pricing with the introduction of more storage newer models.:(

I was thinking of buying the 8GB iPhone but kept holding off, but not for pricing reasons. Now the pricing is more economical for me, but I think I'll still hold off. Why? 16GB touch iPod, how many more months before the 16GB storage gets incorporated into the iPhone. Maybe 16GB iPhone for 499 or 599?:confused:

Waiting is killing me. I know it is of little consolation to all those irked by Apples price drop, but, I'm still envious of those who have one, just sad to hear news like this. Just think Apple, with all those that paid the 599 price, if you charged the 399 price, all those LOYAL early adopters, might be at your store right now, getting a new iPod.

Never knew how good news could be so baaaadddd!:eek:

I think Apple should run a special like, bring your iPhone into an Apple store and get a $100.00 off the purchase of a new iPod, Mac, etc. (I know, not everyone is near an Apple store), but Apple, you need to do something to make this RIGHT!

DND82
If I bought the iPhone two months ago, I might not make this a big issue. However I just got it last week Wednesday. Not even a week later my 4GB is obsolete. I really didn't care for the 8GB, since I don't have much music. However I'm going to attempt to upgrade to an 8GB model. :D

pinksalmon
well... i was kind of an early adopter. got my 8 gig bout a month ago(thank god it wasnt a 4 gig) and it was worth the price then and still is worth now what i paid for it. i still think its the best electronic device i've owned. i do feel a little bit of the sting but i understand the early adopter part of it and thats the price you pay(even if it is as big and soon as this one) but not once did i ever read a forum or comment from anyone one on here(especially those of you teasing the whinners) that this was gonna happen today. I've heard lots of rumors about an iphone nano, smaller with a few less features at a better price. no one though predicted that good ole steve was going to slash the price by 33%, no one even guessed hed slash the price by 1%. so to you patient souls on this forum, please be kind to us stupid corporate whoreearly adopting morons who, no matter the product, say to ourselves... BUY IT!!! BUY IT NOW YOU CRAZY MOTHER ******:o

dobata
might sound a bit strong but that's the **** right now :D

diehldun
Sep 5, 2007, 02:09 PM
HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAH All you early adopters got ********up the you know what.

I'm only 17 yet I know NEVER to adopt an early product such as the iphone. I thought all those people waiting in line on the 29th were (fill in here).

Now I can put that 200 bux towards something better. Tomorrow I am getting an iPHONE YAYAAYAYAY

Ohyea and its $399 8GB!!!!!!!

What the hell was that for? What are you trying to accomplish?

~J~
I just posted this on Apple's feedback site (http://www.apple.com/iphone/share/)... wanted to share it with you... please feel free to do so. BUT... to help the cause, please make an intelligent arguement, dont just complain. Tell them your complaint, then let them know how they can make you happy and win your support again. Here is what I said:

The news of Apple dropping the iPhone 8GB to $399 a mere TWO MONTHS after release is EXTREMELY upsetting. I was an early adopter, does this mean I deserve to take a $200 hit? I, along with MANY other LOYAL Apple fans and supporters, helped the company launch the product, and this is how we are repaid?? I will NOT be buying ANY Apple products anywhere near their release. Just imagine if all of your loyal supporters did this... watch how products flop and fail in less time than it took to lower the price of my iPhone $200. Thanks a lot Apple, and unless I receive a $200 gift card to your store, you can count me out of your loyal fanbase and financial supporters (my AAPL stock has already been off-loaded thanks to this little "event"), to include any future purchases above the ~$11,000 in Apple products I own and have purchased as gifts. Also, I can no longer, in good conscience, recommend a product to a person from a company that would do something like this. I am a trusted IT professional, and people listen to what I say when I recommend products. I cannot afford to lose that reputation I have with my clients. This needs to be fixed, and soon. I am not the only one, pay a little visit to www.macrumors.com and NUMEROUS other Apple fan & rumors sites. Do the right there here, REWARD your loyal fans, not penalize them. The result is more purchases and recommendations to friends and family to purchase Apple products - which, in turn, will reward your own bottom line. I await your response.

Unspeaked
To all the unhappy early iPod owners:

Yeah, it's a shame Apple changes their prices and releases new products.

Why aren't we still all on Macintosh 128s right now, shelling out $4,000+ ?

Oh, wait, it's because everything goes down in value and gets replaced by better products!

You knew you were early adopters, and you knew there was an Apple Event today (if you bought it in the last month or so, anyway).

It happens with iPods, it happens with Macs, it happens with real estate and with gas prices. It happens with sneakers and automobiles and almost anything else sold at retail.

I'm not even buying an iPhone, but I'm happy Apple opened the market by lowering the cost and simplified things by getting rid of the model no one wanted!