PDA

View Full Version : Sherlock and 10.3

MacRumors
Aug 13, 2003, 06:24 PM
Numerous readers report that that Sherlock temporarily gave a curious error message today:

"Must upgrade to Mac OS X 10.3 to use this version of <channel>"

The error message disappears after relaunch of Sherlock.

arn
Aug 13, 2003, 06:25 PM
I guess Apple's mucking around with the sherlock servers.

arn

danman
Aug 13, 2003, 06:42 PM
As far a I can tell at Panther, even post WWDC preview versions, Sherlock has not had much attention. For all the bashing it got for mimicking Watson, it hasn't actually added up to any major comptetition in the field as far as I'm concerned.
I'm not a Watson user, but Sherlock is simply ****e, and I never use it. Havent since the Pre X days, and it's gonna have to get alot smarter if I'm ever gonna start.
Apple, I'm a convert waiting to happen, it's yours for the making. Do please try and do someting useful with Sherlock for once....

MacBandit
Aug 13, 2003, 06:49 PM
The big advantage is the new versions of Sherlock allow easy creation of plugins for it like the OS9 days. Apparently Watson is a pain to write for. If you don't use sherlock now you would if you did a search for plugins. I bet you would find a bunch of things you didn't know existed that allow you easy access to searches right from the finder.

Powerbook G5
Aug 13, 2003, 06:58 PM
On OS 9, I've always found Sherlock to be a pretty helpful tool...

tizza
Aug 13, 2003, 07:21 PM
For those of us outside the US, Sherlock is completely useless anyway ...

Freg3000
Aug 13, 2003, 07:47 PM
I am not sure if this has been brought up before, but in the first developer preview release of Panther (the one available immediately after WWDC), Sherlock was preloaded with a ton of 3rd party channels, including some internationally localized channels (in England and Japan I think). Does anyone know if they are still there in the newest builds of Panther?

Snowy_River
Aug 13, 2003, 07:58 PM
I tried this, and it didn't require me to restart Sherlock. After a moment giving me the 'must upgrade' message, it cleared the screen and loaded everything just fine. Also, is it my imagination, or is Sherlock actually running a little faster all of a sudden?

AppleMatt
Aug 13, 2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by tizza
For those of us outside the US, Sherlock is completely useless anyway ...

Agreed.

AppleMatt

nagromme
Aug 13, 2003, 08:28 PM
As a US user, I love Sherlock. Not for multi-engine Web searches anymore (just build that into Safari and as a system Service please), but for movies and yellow pages.

bennetsaysargh
well, i hope they do something god with sherlock. it's slow and has no plugins like the OS 9 version. OS 9 version owns all.

coolsoldier
When I first upgraded to Jaguar, I used Sherlock all the time...but after a while I decided it was easier to use the websites than the plugins and I haven't used sherlock since. If they could make it faster or something, well, maybe I'll go back to it, but for now, It's lost it's place in my dock.

Also: I wonder if this means that sherlock will stop working when 10.3 comes out.

mac15
Sure is, I think the best thing us Australians have is the flights channel, It shows flights that go through Sydney Airport

chazmox
Aug 13, 2003, 09:23 PM
Got the error too...

Use Sherlock for movies and YP...

NavyIntel007
Aug 13, 2003, 09:46 PM
I use sherlock occationally. It's in my dock because I find it useful. Good to have for movies, tracking my girlfriend's plane when she comes to visit, translations were a god send when I was taking spanish, ebay.... All I want is for it to be faster.

Powerbook G5
Aug 13, 2003, 09:50 PM
I use Sherlock on OS 9 and it is seriously one awesome program, if it's true that Sherlock isn't as powerful on OS X, I will be upset when I upgrade to OS X later when I get my new PowerBook.

danielgrenell
Aug 13, 2003, 11:03 PM
sherlock is a good program, but forgotten. if they speed it up, and tweak the current channels, they could have a killer app on their hands

Powerbook G5
Aug 13, 2003, 11:05 PM
Perhaps this recent error is indication that Apple is already thinking the same thing...

Chealion
Aug 14, 2003, 12:57 AM
Sherlock? What's Sherlock ;)

Never used it since they didn't require Sherlock for file searching. It got pretty annoying in OS 9 with it getting rather large considering you only just wanted to find a file...

I echo the sentiment of it being next to useless outside of the U.S., but with my experience with Watson, so was Watson. Personally I've never found a reason to use Sherlock, except when it first debuted in 8.5 (asking real questions was great), but once you know how to search Google properly, no need for Sherlock.

MacBandit
Aug 14, 2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
well, i hope they do something god with sherlock. it's slow and has no plugins like the OS 9 version. OS 9 version owns all.

Actually with Jaguar Sherlock is completely open to 3rd party plug-ins again and there are tons upon tons of them.

Also there are country localized plug-ins.

Here are some sites.

http://mac.iconet.com.br/sherlockplugins.html

http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~prillih3/software/

http://mac.tucows.easynet.nl/general_sherlock-plug_default.html

http://mac.excaliburworld.com/sherlock.html

Wuddel
Aug 14, 2003, 02:32 AM
Maybe Sherlock becomes a RSS-client :D like NetNewsWire

mangoman
Aug 14, 2003, 05:27 AM
And I thought I was the only one who saw Sherlock as slower than a turd on a block of ice.

(wipes brow).

Guess I'm not alone on that one!

bikertwin
Aug 14, 2003, 08:07 AM
None of you guys use Sherlock for Apple Care searches?

bobindashadows
Aug 14, 2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by bikertwin
I can't say I do. The only problem I ever had that (almost) required AppleCare was when I installed some RAM we had lying around in the basement... I tried putting it into this old iMac DV so it would have enough to run OS X (It had 64, and I had a 64 lying around). Apparently, if the RAM has been sitting in an open static bag (you know, those bags that prevent static electricity) for 3 years, it doesn't always work properly. When I installed it, the machine started up with this weird reddish glow over the monitor and the mouse was mirrored on two other places on the screen :lol: I promptly ordered a cheap 64 MB module off of eBay for 20 dollars, and it now serves as a web server without a web page.

MacBandit
Aug 14, 2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by bikertwin

I do frequently to answer questions people have on these boards. It's funny how people don't know of or don't use all there resources before asking someone else for help. Oh, well that's why I and others are here.

Sherlock 3 doesn't run any slower on my Dual/GHz/DDR PowerMac then Sherlock 2 did on my B/W G3 400. It helps to have a fast internet connection also as Sherlock accesses data off the net each time you start it up and select a new channel. The new Sherlock is suppose to be really fast.

mattalici
Aug 14, 2003, 11:14 AM
I NEVER get the random crap that happens to other Macs and I always think, maybe I'm not doing something right, but there it was... YOU MUST UPGRADE! I'm in the club... mamma got what you need... come give me a hug...

If the new 12'' PB doesn't have DVI out I am seriously considering slashing my wrists.

Or getting the 15''.

Oh yeah... and Sherlock is DEFINITELY running faster.

I'm ADD to today.

Hey, how many kids with ADD does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Wanna ride bikes?

LimeiBook86
Aug 14, 2003, 12:14 PM
good one mattalici, I'll go bike riding. :)

Anyway, I got the message too and took screenschots, oh joy!

Here is the message itself:
http://www.homepage.mac.com/ibook238/.Public/sherlock_10-3s.jpg

Here is the entire program with the message: http://www.homepage.mac.com/ibook238/.Public/sherlock_10-3.jpg

Oooooooooooo-aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh :D

foofan
Aug 14, 2003, 02:04 PM
Sherlock is the best way to find out what will be playing in your local movie theater. If it is monday you can look to see what new movies will be playing on friday.

coolsoldier
Aug 17, 2003, 09:46 AM
Sherlock doesn't actually do anything that can't be done on the website listed at the bottom.

That said, if it would cache the plugins instead of getting them from the net every time, it might be fast enough to use on a regular basis.

ZeppelinArmada
Aug 18, 2003, 02:47 PM
I use sherlock all the time for finding movies and amusing words in other languages. I wonder if there is any architecture change that makes it necessary for certain plugins to be run under panther or if Apple just wants people to upgrade. Then again, if people are upgrading because of sherlock some thing is wrong. I think personally that Apple should have a plan like Apple care for people like my mom. It would be a very simple plan: Step 1) buy Apple Sitter for around $30,000, Step 2) whenever a new version of the os is available it is installed when ever a brand new line of computers is available they ship you a new one with all of your files already copied to it and their stealth technicians hook it up while you sleep; each machine would have a large red button that when pushed would have the computer dial up a trained professional who would instruct them on how to do things like click and tell you how your son loves because you did not call him because "the screen button is off at the top of the little words". Simple and effective.

Hmmm... that just kinda slipped out ... must be that sticky bun I ate.

c2kvette
Aug 19, 2003, 08:21 AM
I LOVE Sherlock!! I use it all the time for movies playing in my area.
And it really blows my PC buddy's minds!

bones
Aug 22, 2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit
The big advantage is the new versions of Sherlock allow easy creation of plugins for it like the OS9 days. Apparently Watson is a pain to write for.

Exactly the opposite... I'd say Sherlock is the pain to write for, and Watson is the easy one.

Don't spread FUD when you aren't even speaking from personal knowledge.

-B

MacBandit
Aug 22, 2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by bones
Exactly the opposite... I'd say Sherlock is the pain to write for, and Watson is the easy one.

Don't spread FUD when you aren't even speaking from personal knowledge.

-B

Have you written for 10.2? MacWorld just had an article on Sherlock in 10.2 and said it was the ability to create easy plugins for it that was the primary advantage it had over Watson. Also there appears to be nearly as many 10.2 sherlock plugins as there are OS9.

jabester10280
Sep 1, 2003, 11:21 AM
In 7B49 Sherlock is update and has a new interface. It has gotten better but not good enough.

bcsimac
Sep 12, 2003, 10:59 AM
Actually, I am interested to see what Sherlock looks like under Panther. I really don't use it much, but then I don't use search engines much either.

ABassCube
Sep 15, 2003, 11:48 AM
The thing is Sherlock 3 is just pathetic compared to Watson. Watson is MUCH faster, and has much better built-in plugins. Sure, there are plenty of 3rd-party plugins for Sherlock, but even with those it doesn't match the functionality of Watson. The problem is, that Sherlock is free and Watson is a rediculous $30. If it were maybe $15 or $20 I'd pay for it in a second, but $30 is just too much for an app that basically give me more convenient access to web services. I can go to the individual sites themselves, and it doesn't take all THAT much longer. I hope that Sherlock in Panther comes much closer to the functionaliy and speed of Watson. Although that would also be unfair to Karelia as that would definitely kill Watson. The only reason Watson has stayed around is because Sherlock sucks so much. I don't know why Apple didn't just make a deal with Karelia about Watson. They didn't have to just steal their idea completely unexpectedly. The CEO of Karelia said in an interview at some point that they had even emailed Apple a couple of months before asking whether they wanted to make a deal about Watson. They got no reply, and a couple of months, the preview of Jaguar with Sherlock 3 came. I feel bad for Karelia and would pay for Watson if it wasn't so damn expensive.

Adam

Adam

micjan2
Jan 8, 2004, 07:49 AM
Hello,

Today I used Sherlock for the first time after seeing some of its capacities (translations! Very important when you live in Europe) on the computer of my friend. But, the only icon I see in the buttom menu when I open Sherlock is the sherlock icon itself. No "translation" or "dictionary" nor the rest of the (default?) icons.
Can someone explain me how I can get these channels in my menu?

Thanks on beforehand,

Jan

MacBandit
Jan 8, 2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by micjan2
Hello,

Today I used Sherlock for the first time after seeing some of its capacities (translations! Very important when you live in Europe) on the computer of my friend. But, the only icon I see in the buttom menu when I open Sherlock is the sherlock icon itself. No "translation" or "dictionary" nor the rest of the (default?) icons.
Can someone explain me how I can get these channels in my menu?

Thanks on beforehand,

Jan

Do you have the collections menu on the left? If you do you need to click on channels menu.