PDA

View Full Version : What about this case?

Rezet
Aug 13, 2003, 11:31 PM
I'd take this case over current G5 for sure!

http://www.alienware.com/sub_pages/commercial.aspx

G5orbust
Aug 13, 2003, 11:48 PM
that "predator" case is awesome, but I prefer the G5 case.

Powerbook G5
Aug 13, 2003, 11:59 PM
I've seen them in person at Best Buy and they are huge and tacky in person...they do have the initial wow factor at first, though.

tazo
Aug 14, 2003, 12:12 AM
that thing may just beat the g5 as ugly. Atleast the g5 doesnt look like a ****ing toy

alia
Aug 14, 2003, 12:29 AM
I think that case is a little over the top for my tastes. Although... if I had a computer with that chameleon paint job, I'd constantly be walking around it or turning it around just to see it change color. I guess I'm just easily amused.

;)

Alia

NavyIntel007
Aug 14, 2003, 12:30 AM
Alienware has toys-r-us cases for their pc's. However, just about everytime i touch my 12" powerbook i get a static electricity shock. I imagine the G5 will do the same thing when you touch it.

RandomDeadHead
Aug 14, 2003, 12:33 AM
I also saw one in bast buy the other day. My inital reaction was just to say out loud, "thats the most ugly ********** pc I have ever seen" I didnt get thrown out (this time) but I said it loud enough to get some evil scornes from the high school lackies they have working there.

Like someone else said, It looks like a toy.
I didnt know tonka was into the pc buesness.:rolleyes:

Sun Baked
Aug 14, 2003, 12:42 AM
Kool...

Cheesy plastic panels over an ugly metal box.

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 12:53 AM
Sounds like you are describing a GM car...heh...but yes, they are pretty cheap and tacky looking...but then again, it looks like Tonka designed the GUI for Windows XP, too...

Rezet
Aug 14, 2003, 01:09 AM
Yeah yeah, I guess a metal box with small holes all over is a stunner. I think this is the coolest PC i have ever seen. I'd get that over just about any design I have seen.
I will have to look at it in person, maybe I'll change my mind, but from what I've seen on the web, it looks hot.

tjwett
Aug 14, 2003, 01:34 AM
one word...Tacky! i might have thought it was cool when i was 11 years old though.

LethalWolfe
Aug 14, 2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Rezet
Yeah yeah, I guess a metal box with small holes all over is a stunner. I think this is the coolest PC i have ever seen. I'd get that over just about any design I have seen.
I will have to look at it in person, maybe I'll change my mind, but from what I've seen on the web, it looks hot.

I'd take a mesh front grill and near silent running over a "traditional" front grill and jet engine like fans any day. ;)

These Alienware cases just look chunky to me. I'm not a huge fan of the G5's case either, but at least the G5 cases' form follows function where the Alienware is just blah for no good reason. :)

Lethal

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 01:40 AM
Not much can compete with the sheer understated beauty of a clean, minimalistic Aluminum PowerBook in my eyes. It just screams out taste...like a fine German or British automobile.

Rezet
Aug 14, 2003, 01:56 AM
You know what angers me? That just like democrats have nothing good to say about the president you can't say anything good about PCs. NOT One thing! NOTHING!
Who cares that you belong to a different party or that you like different computer or whatever, why not admit some things that seem quite obvious. Your policy is that if it's not made by apple, it's automatically not good.

I know you all gonna say now that it's not your bias here: "it's my opinion, I don't have to like it" and "this is mac rumors site, what do u expect" or some other excuse to justify ur pc bashing for what seems to be no reason. I have been on this site for almost half a year and haven't seen anyone say anything, not one thing at which competitor is clearly better. I like macs but I'll call things they way they appear not the way I WANT them to appear.

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 02:01 AM
Well, personally, when I see a few Sonys I can definitely step back and say "That looks pretty sexy" and do admire what many PC manufacturors have done with their products. I've seem some really cool Fujitsu models and there is a media center Toshiba laptop that can record and display digital HDtv, along with full video capture and DVD-RW and various other things. I have seen a couple of PC laptops with 128 megs of video RAM, even. That's pretty cool, too. It's just most of Alienware's designs are really just...ass ugly...and I am not talking about the ass ugly that can look better with enough to drink, either, but I am talking about the ass ugly that makes you wonder if there is a God...

LethalWolfe
Aug 14, 2003, 02:18 AM
You know what angers me? That just like democrats have nothing good to say about the president you can't say anything good about PCs. NOT One thing! NOTHING!
Who cares that you belong to a different party or that you like different computer or whatever, why not admit some things that seem quite obvious. Your policy is that if it's not made by apple, it's automatically not good.

I know you all gonna say now that it's not your bias here: "it's my opinion, I don't have to like it" and "this is mac rumors site, what do u expect" or some other excuse to justify ur pc bashing for what seems to be no reason. I have been on this site for almost half a year and haven't seen anyone say anything, not one thing at which competitor is clearly better. I like macs but I'll call things they way they appear not the way I WANT them to appear.

We are talking about something 100% subjective here (the aesthetic value of the Alienware cases). There is no right or wrong answer. You call things they way they appear to YOU, but that's not necessarily the way they appear to other people. Yet again you seem irriated that people disagree w/yer opinion(ZIP thread). Many posters on this site, including myself, have stated over and over again that both platforms have their strong points and their weak points. Example, I honestly don't think you'll find anyone here that will seriously recommend a currrent Mac to someone who is looking for a hardcore gaming rig.

There are some nice looking cases out there for PC's, but those Alienware cases aren't them (IMO).

Lethal

Sun Baked
Aug 14, 2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
but I am talking about the ass ugly that makes you wonder if there is a God... They sort of give me nightmares and flashbacks to the Barbie and Hot Wheels PCs.
http://news.com.com/i/ne/pre/Pt/1999/08/0803barbiehotwheelspcs.jpg
And that it's still possible for somebody to do a Barney wrapper around a PC, heck with the Alienware machine purple and a couple stickers and you're already there. :eek:

Rezet
Aug 14, 2003, 02:27 AM
Well, personally, when I see a few Sonys I can definitely step back and say "That looks pretty sexy" and do admire what many PC manufacturors have done with their products. I've seem some really cool Fujitsu models and there is a media center Toshiba laptop that can record and display digital HDtv, along with full video capture and DVD-RW and various other things. I have seen a couple of PC laptops with 128 megs of video RAM, even. That's pretty cool, too. It's just most of Alienware's designs are really just...ass ugly...and I am not talking about the ass ugly that can look better with enough to drink, either, but I am talking about the ass ugly that makes you wonder if there is a God...

What the hell are u talking about? We are not talking about capabilities here. We are talking about the design. Design of the desktops. From what I have seen, most desktop including your highly respected G5 look like crap. Metal boxes with practically very little differences. I respect imac design, cube design and even quick silver design as not only they look stylish they bring someting new to the lines of personal computers. What I see now is a trend of building a design that looks like more and more like a simpliest metal box that can barely compete with designs of early 486DX precessors.
And you are afraid to speak the truth and say that THE KING IS NAKED?

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 02:28 AM
Damn, I almost forgot about those...I swear, some of these cases make you wonder if they fell from the ugly tree and hit every damn branch on the way down.

Rezet
Aug 14, 2003, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
We are talking about something 100% subjective here (the aesthetic value of the Alienware cases). There is no right or wrong answer. You call things they way they appear to YOU, but that's not necessarily the way they appear to other people. Yet again you seem irriated that people disagree w/yer opinion(ZIP thread). Many posters on this site, including myself, have stated over and over again that both platforms have their strong points and their weak points. Example, I honestly don't think you'll find anyone here that will seriously recommend a currrent Mac to someone who is looking for a hardcore gaming rig.

There are some nice looking cases out there for PC's, but those Alienware cases aren't them (IMO).

Lethal

Ahh please, spare me tha...
I understand that this is a subjective topic, but it seems that this smell of "NOT apple NOT good" is flying through the servers of this website forums.
If this was asked on PC forum, majority answers would look totally diferrent.
I bet if if Apple came out with similar design, you'd be singing a totally different song now.

P.S. and on the zip thread I didn't get angry at all. I just gave some points on why I thought it was better. Mostly to see an argument unfold and not same one sided answers...

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 02:33 AM
Who said the king is naked? :confused: You mentioned that we cannot admit that PCs are good for anything and I said there are good PCs out there and that I like the design of many Sony PCs and Fujitsu and such, was that not clear? As far as the G5...I have yet to see it, I personally don't know what to think of it yet from pictures, but it could be a nice design once I see it in person to judge for myself. At any rate, the G5 looks much more professional than the Alineware, though. I'd rather have a functional aluminum case that runs silent than a loud, ass ugly, and annoying case that makes me embarrassed when others are around.

Rezet
Aug 14, 2003, 02:40 AM
Who said the king is naked? :confused: You mentioned that we cannot admit that PCs are good for anything and I said there are good PCs out there and that I like the design of many Sony PCs and Fujitsu and such, was that not clear? As far as the G5...I have yet to see it, I personally don't know what to think of it yet from pictures, but it could be a nice design once I see it in person to judge for myself. At any rate, the G5 looks much more professional than the Alineware, though. I'd rather have a functional aluminum case that runs silent than a loud, ass ugly, and annoying case that makes me embarrassed when others are around.

I think the most honest reaction on what people thought of G5 looks can be seen from the keynote presentation.
Do you get that feeling sometimes that you are embarraced for someone else? Well I kind of got that feeling for Jobs when he said it was the "Thing of Beauty" and audience laughed.

Rezet
Aug 14, 2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
They sort of give me nightmares and flashbacks to the Barbie and Hot Wheels PCs.
http://news.com.com/i/ne/pre/Pt/1999/08/0803barbiehotwheelspcs.jpg
And that it's still possible for somebody to do a Barney wrapper around a PC, heck with the Alienware machine purple and a couple stickers and you're already there. :eek:

Ahh sunbaked, why do you have to spin? These computers are obviously specifically designed for kids.

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 02:46 AM
All I can say is hell yeah, baby, take it off, because this is one fine b****!

tazo
Aug 14, 2003, 02:48 AM
I agree, those pcs were designed for kids. And considering the OS was designed by... ;)

Rezet
Aug 14, 2003, 02:51 AM
Well now you are spinning. We are not talking about talking anything off. In opposite putting layers, I'd say.
We are talking about external case design, I'm sorry if you didn't get this, but I couldn't be any more freaking clear I thought.
Swinging away from the topic only makes your point of view more obscure.

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 02:58 AM
I did talk about liking the design of a few PCs, though, but you didn't see that. Many of us on these forums actually use PCs and can even recommend them for certain things as opposed to a Mac. It just seems like you are unable to see that. We have a preference, which is not for the more flamboyantly designed Alienware kind of cases. And by that picture, I simply figured I'd show one of the sexiest views of the G5, which is part of the case design, as well...it was designed to do what it does extremely well, I think that is good case design.

Rezet
Aug 14, 2003, 03:06 AM
Well, I guess I'm the only one who likes it here. Or one who doesnt pretend in the name of apple. But whatever...

I'll run similar post on pc sites and will compare the results.
Ohh and POwerbook G5, save your fake "enthusiasm" and "love" for pcs for someone who buys this "I also see both sides" thing. Your threads pretty much speak for themselves.

Sun Baked
Aug 14, 2003, 03:10 AM
Yep, they definitely deserve the Chris Bangle Design Award.

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 03:14 AM
What the hell? I like the style of Sony and Fujitsu and that is fake? Sounds like you are unable to see past your own ideas of things. I have a Dell 2.8 GHz Dimension 4600 that runs games pretty nicely. I've used PCs for most of my life and Macs only for a couple of years...if that is fake, why is it that I've used a Mac for less time than anything else? Just because I don't like the design of the Alienware case doesn't mean that i am somehow lying when I say I like the look of other PCs. But that's fine, get your Alienware if that's what you want and I'll get my AlBook since that's what I like and we'll all be happy.

Rezet
Aug 14, 2003, 03:21 AM
What the hell? I like the style of Sony and Fujitsu and that is fake? Sounds like you are unable to see past your own ideas of things. I have a Dell 2.8 GHz Dimension 4600 that runs games pretty nicely. I've used PCs for most of my life and Macs only for a couple of years...if that is fake, why is it that I've used a Mac for less time than anything else? Just because I don't like the design of the Alienware case doesn't mean that i am somehow lying when I say I like the look of other PCs. But that's fine, get your Alienware if that's what you want and I'll get my AlBook since that's what I like and we'll all be happy.

heh, fine. It's always nice to throw a bone in there too. So that you always have a defence of "wait a minute, I own .... too, why would I bash them???".
Fine, you don't like it tough. But why do you have to be so outspoken about it? I can do that because I'm defending the design og the computer that everyone seems not to like, not to mention on my thread.

P.S. Besides I also think your judgement is questinable heh.
You prefer Ford to GM. Who in the world would do that hehehe. :)

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 03:27 AM
Actually, I hate Ford, they cannot seem to build a reliable product without 40 recalls on it and every Ford car my family has owned has had problems...if you are refering to the Ford Probe that I baby to death, it's actually a Mazda MX-6 that is rebadged as a Ford, and made mostly of Mazda and Mitsubishi parts. GM is typically a better car company, but the previous design department left a lot to be desired with all their unnecessary plasticy designs with flairs and ribs and such. My parents have an Aztek and if you want the definition of ass ugly, look it up in the dictionary and chances are, the Aztek is the pictured example. :)

Rezet
Aug 14, 2003, 03:34 AM
? )h?, I hate Ford, they cannot seem to build a reliable product without 40 recalls on it and every Ford car my family has owned has had problems...if you are refering to the Ford Probe that I baby to death, it's actually a Mazda MX-6 that is rebadged as a Ford, and made mostly of Mazda and Mitsubishi parts. GM is typically a better car company, but the previous design department left a lot to be desired with all their unnecessary plasticy designs with flairs and ribs and such. My parents have an Aztek and if you want the definition of ass ugly, look it up in the dictionary and chances are, the Aztek is the pictured example. :)

Powerbook G5 make a wish, quick! We actually agree on something! You right, Aztec is what you call "Ass ugly".
Although every time i type "ass ugly" in the web search, i get a picture of new honda element. Not even sure what that means.

BTW did u block me? ARR

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 03:40 AM
Nope, I connect through a networked cable modem so I don't have to be on AOL to be online.

rhpenguin
Aug 14, 2003, 07:14 AM
The Alienware case is pretty damn ugly. I liked it back in they day when they were using the Antec cases that everyone ripped off. Now that was a nice case. The case on the G5 imo is more function than beauty, but is very intreguing and easy on the eyes.

(and before you start flaming me, I've only been a Mac user for a few months now. Before that all I used was PCs)

cubist
Aug 14, 2003, 08:16 AM
Rezet, you've only seen the pictures. When you see the cases in person, they are... how you say... underwhelming. And then when you think about looking at that box, day after day, for year after year... well, then you think about something else.

Frankly, I think the G5 case is pretty plain-looking, too. Quicksilver was the logical conclusion of the El Capitan, nice looking but a little impractical.

I have a computer that I've admired from the day I first saw it right to the present. I still think it's the finest looking computer ever made. The Cube.

Although I wouldn't mind looking at a Cray from time to time...

Grimace
Aug 14, 2003, 08:48 AM
I think the Alienware cases are very attractive - for a certain audience. They seem to target gamers. If I were a hardcore gamer (all the time) I would love that case.

I just can't take it seriously otherwise - regardless of what is inside. Similar to the Tangerine etc flavors that apple brought out a while back. Good computers that look like toys and thus attract a select market.

ima_pseudonym
Aug 14, 2003, 09:09 AM
How much extra is it for the tinted windows, fuzzy-dice, and the giant subwoofer that can show-off your bad taste in music while insuring that you develope tinitus by the age of 30?

Its the shiny camaro with flames painted on it...

Its the faux-marble sink with gold-plated fixtures...

Its the statue of a little boy that "pees" champagne in the ballroom...

Its the McMansion on the tree-less property abutting the highway...

Its the mirrored wall in the dining room and mirrored ceiling over the bed...

...of the computer world.

Seriously, I *would* kick that thing off of my desktop.

I'll take a g5's simple elegance over the tacky box any day.

Try to pass off my disagreement with your sense of "taste" as mac-bias if you want, but I assure you its not. This is not a mac/pc thing, its an aesthetic thing.

mrjamin
Aug 14, 2003, 09:21 AM
i'd much rather have a case that looks like this (http://hlatlas.com/misc/tehbox.html):
http://hlatlas.com/misc/BOX1.JPG

Juventuz
Aug 14, 2003, 10:32 AM
Don't feel bad Rezet, I like the Alienware case as well although I don't care for the green color.

To me the G5's case is one of the UGLIEST I have ever seen. I think it looks absolutely horrible. I do like the Power Mac G4 cases though.

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 11:01 AM
Damn, the cardboard box is just too funny! My friends and I built a PIII computer and used Legos as the case once! It was a decent gaming computer back in the day, too. It was a 350 MHz back when 300 was typically the high end. I for one have seen that Alienware case in person and it is such an eyesore once you get over the staring at it for 15 seconds to register what it is phase. As for the G5, well since none of us have yet to see it, I doubt we can pass judgement. At first I thought it was a let down, but I've seen quite a few high res pictures of it that just make it look beautiful in a form meets function meets understated grace sort of way. Only time will tell, though, but once they have them in the Apple Store, I'll finally be able to put in my final work on the case design. At any rate, you *cannot* judge any of us Mac-biased or PC trashers simply for having taste! I know plenty of PC users that would roll their eyes and puke when seeing that lime green Alienware with blue neons glowing from the vents. We are not PC flamers, we just don't go for that over the top "hot rod" toy styling.

nuckinfutz
Aug 14, 2003, 11:13 AM
Hardy Har har ..Alienware. LOL

Yes they look good if you like gaudy things. I'm sure Rezet has a big Fin on his Acura too with Riceboy stylings. Hey to each his own.

I just wouldn't put that crap on my desk. The G5 case is Austere and it's insides look just as good. But I can't fault those for saying it's ugly too.

patrick0brien
Aug 14, 2003, 11:24 AM
-Gents

I tell you what. As a CG artist in my spare time - that commercial was very nice. Yes, the AilienWare case is off-the-wall and I say good for them!

Talk about gutsy, agressive design. Sometimes it's possible to make something so ugly it's actually cool looking. The Chevy Avalanche comes to mind.

Here's a company that calls itself "AlienWare", so they cook up boxes that are - alien. Those grills are illuminated BTW.

I do have an AlienWare somewhere in my future, I'm hoping they keep this designer around - good for him.

As for "looking like a toy", well that's opinion of course, but it is arguable that the original iMac did too - and Macs have been accused of being toys for far longer than that.

I have to admit, there is a theme in this thread that walks a little close to blind loyalty to Apple. Rezet's comment about political party lines is a good one. Too often we let our loyalties close our minds to possibilities - especially those that are seemingly "opposed" to our own - and we do it before we have a chance to even absorb enough of the opposing perspective to know if it has value or not. But just because we close our minds and discount out of hand - doesn't mean it doesn't exist, let alone have value we could benefit from.

In another thread (bttm ;) ) I placed a quote:

"Suffer fools gladly. They may be right" - Holbrook Jackson

What we may consider to be a fool - is our opinion. And regardless of what our opinion is, doesn't instantly cause that "fool" to not have knowledge we can benefit from.

AlienWare is a damn fine box. I dare say the closest to the Apple of the PC world - they have a passion, and it shows.

We have to be careful when we cast stones.

MacBoyX
Aug 14, 2003, 01:06 PM
The Alienware case is pretty cool looking for a PC. Especially when you consider the obligatory beige box has just becomje the obligatory black box.

The Alienware cases hit on one of the things I love most about Apple and it's there DIFFERENT styling. The G5 may be ugly to some (not to me for some reason) but no one can say it's not DIFFERENT and UNIQUE. That's one of the things I like about all Macs...the iMac's wild style (even the original I mean it even influenced design of George Forman Grills!), the iBooks total WHITE case, the Titanium and Aluminum PowerBook's amazingly unique cases...

Rezet, I do wish you'd realize that if you posted this same thing on a PC board saying the G5 was so awesome looking you'd get the same type of replies. You are dealing with a MAJORITY of Mac fans at this site who do love what Apple does for the reason listed above...it's Different.

I also think that it's safe to assume that MOST Mac users wouldn't find the Alienware stuff cool not because it's a PC but because the case is very UN-APPLE like. It's neat but not as industrial as the Mac design is right now.

I would also implore you to be a little more tolerant and a less brutal in your replies... i have been using this board for almost a year and the only three posts that I can remember without fail were started by and egged on by you, including the one that you jumped all over me about how bad my iBook was compared to your PowerBook. This is a place for people's opinions and they are going to from time to time differ from yours...learn to enjoy the diversity and not jump all over it defensively.

MacBoyX

LethalWolfe
Aug 14, 2003, 06:43 PM
I understand that this is a subjective topic, but it seems that this smell of "NOT apple NOT good" is flying through the servers of this website forums.
I bet if if Apple came out with similar design, you'd be singing a totally different song now.

P.S. and on the zip thread I didn't get angry at all. I just gave some points on why I thought it was better. Mostly to see an argument unfold and not same one sided answers...

I'm sure yer right sense you obviously know me so well...:rolleyes:

The Alienware case, IMO, is ostentatious and ugly. The G5 case is minimalist and ugly. I'd rather have minmalist + ugly than ostentatious + ugly so the G5, to me, is a better looking case.

I'm sure the answers would look totally different if you asked this Q at a PC forum. But would they be any more "honest"? I guarentee there are more people who blindly hate anything w/an Apple logo on it than their are that blindly love it.

It seems beyond your comprehension that people (at least people on this site) can actually generate an opinion that differs from yours w/o them being blind followers unable to think for themselves.

Lethal

NavyIntel007
Aug 14, 2003, 07:02 PM

No actually we're just saying, and I think many people would agree, that the purple people eater and the hulk green alienware cases are bloody ugly as hell. I mean, you couldn't put it in your living room, it's something you give to junior to play games on in the basement.

Honestly, you come on here suggesting an ugly box over the G5. We say... I'd rather die than have that box. Then all of the sudden you think it's a PC vs. Mac thing. Rediculous. I think you're just embarrassed that you made a bad suggestion.

By the way, I'm partial to Flat Black PC boxes... everything else looks like a GIJOE play house.

Sun Baked
Aug 14, 2003, 07:09 PM
Lot's of people are attract to shiny and/or tacky objects...

Don't worry, you can sell these people anything -- including Rosie's debut CD of national anthems from around the world.

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 07:18 PM
That's the thing, I wouldn't mind having a Sony in the living room or a Dell in the living room...they can sit on the desk with no problem...but having a lime green light up Alienware in your living room and instantly you have an eyesore. It's definitely not a "Eww, it's a PC so it's ugly" it a "Eww, it's a bright neon green monstrousity so it's ugly".

NavyIntel007
Aug 14, 2003, 07:20 PM
I've seen those cases in person. First off they are huge and very tacky. They look like they should be oozing green slime or something out of them or that maybe they reconfigured metroid's costume into a PC box.

A P4 is pretty heavy on the fans and they aren't exactly smart like the G5's fans. Plastic tends to rattle too.

I tell you what... IBM sells a pretty ugly PC box. But I'd take it in a heartbeat over this Alienware garbage.

NavyIntel007
Aug 14, 2003, 07:21 PM
That's the thing, I wouldn't mind having a Sony in the living room or a Dell in the living room...they can sit on the desk with no problem...but having a lime green light up Alienware in your living room and instantly you have an eyesore. It's definitely not a "Eww, it's a PC so it's ugly" it a "Eww, it's a bright neon green monstrousity so it's ugly".

Do you remember the Dodge neons in the mid 90's? One of the stock colors was lime green... it was pretty bad.

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 07:52 PM
I've seen quite a few ugly lime green Civics around ever since Fast and the Furious came out, too.

tazo
Aug 14, 2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Sun Baked
Lot's of people are attract to shiny and/or tacky objects...

Don't worry, you can sell these people anything -- including Rosie's debut CD of national anthems from around the world.

As my dad who was once in the car business (like when he was in his 20s) said, "there is an ass for every seat" :)

Schiffi
Aug 14, 2003, 10:19 PM
At first, I liked the Alienware case. However, it does become an eye sore after a while. I don't know why. I usually like Honda civics or similar designs. Maybe because cars are seen outside, where green is common (I live in the country, obviously). I think computers that match TV's/DVD players/ect. work better. Sony does this extremely well, mainly because they make TV's and DVD players too. Sony just needs to get rid of the blue lights.

I was planning to get an Alienware laptop prior to choosing my Powerbook. I like their laptops. IMO, we're all spoiled by Apple. The minimalistic design is very modern and will probably last for sometime.

Just saw the commercial. Apple could learn something there. I'm sure the color can be switched. The Black or White colored ones should be nice looking.

If I got a PC, it'd be Alienware.

NavyIntel007
Aug 14, 2003, 10:30 PM
I've seen quite a few ugly lime green Civics around ever since Fast and the Furious came out, too.

Ricers are so stupid.

tazo
Aug 14, 2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
Ricers are so stupid.

You can say that again :D :cool: Honestly I just laugh, really hard, whenever I see like a civic with 40 stickers and a 3 foot tall rear spoiler. Its ridiculous and only seeks to perpetuate more social stereotypes :rolleyes:

Powerbook G5
Aug 14, 2003, 10:44 PM
Well, I guess we know what kind of PC they go home to...it matches their cars!

NavyIntel007
Aug 14, 2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by tazo
You can say that again :D :cool: Honestly I just laugh, really hard, whenever I see like a civic with 40 stickers and a 3 foot tall rear spoiler. Its ridiculous and only seeks to perpetuate more social stereotypes :rolleyes:

ok... Ricers are stupid.

Actually, not to be stereotypical but most of these Ricers are Asian or Latino and both cultures eat lots of rice. Then you just have those dumb country boys that try to be ricers.

edit: I don't understand the logic of getting a $10000 to dump another $20000 into it only to hit a speed bump in your girlfriend's neighborhood and have it now be worth $2000. Where is the logic?

Why not buy a $30000 car?

tazo
Aug 15, 2003, 12:18 AM

Why not buy a $30000 car?

Because then it wouldn't make a lawnmower everytime they went above 5 miles/hr

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 15, 2003, 12:39 AM
My stock '86 Tercel sounds like one of those hot-rodded Hondas the college boys like around here. The difference is that mine's ugly as poo.

shadowfax
Aug 15, 2003, 01:09 AM
say, i was in a '98 corvette the other day (friend was test driving her)... you could get one for around $20K if you looked real hard (rather than throwing a nitrous kit on your honda and getting a spoiler and body kit), and dear god: that thing roared louder than my own unaltered civic at 2000 rpms, got to 60 mph in second gear (the engine still only turning over at under 5000 rpms, the red line being at 6000)... that thing was a beautiful beast, and the engine probably doesn't explode like those civics with nitrous kits...

anyways, to comment on the topic on the label, i have to say that alienware looked cool in the commercial, but you could tell you would be disappointed when you saw it. as in, if it were made of metal, or fiberglass, or something that could take a real high-gloss polish, it might be okay, but it's really made of cheap-ass plastic, which is why they only showed CG-models of it in the ad, so it will inevitably suck. not to say that apple doesn't just use what are (apparently) CG-models in their ads, but the real photos of the G5s look just the same. i like that my tibook looks just as good as it did in the ads. i had no surprise when i saw it in person. it was and still is sleek, sturdy, and (as has been said) austere but still classy as hell. admittedly, the PM G5 tries to do this and doesn't do near as well as my tibook, but it's not nearly as bad as that alienware case.

i don't like the direction any PC manufacturer i know of is going. they are all turning gaudy (like alienware or sony), or blackish (like dell), while apple is going retro (think iPod, iBook) or industrial minimalist (think Powermac G5, iMac FP). this was actually one reason i got into macs.

but i don't just hate things automatically, because apple didn't make it. i got a pal with a brand new IBM t40 laptop... i have to hand it to IBM; they know how to make a sturdy box and ignore all fashion sense. it's ironic, though, that this actually helps their style, because if they copied other manufacturers in the PC market, they would make much uglier laptops. also, i despise the style of the colored old iMacs. i thought they looked toyish at the time and still do. if apple were still stuck with OS 9 and non-FP iMacs, i would be writing this on the PC-rumors.com forums with an IBM T40, myself.

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 15, 2003, 01:20 AM
A friend of a friend had an old car that was literally on its last legs. They put a nitro cylinder and rigged up a switch for it. Bear in mind this is a really old car, probably a two-door Saab with a four-banger from back in the '60s or so.

One night they pulled up to a red light and two frat boys in a phatty ride start revving up to race. The friends with the Saab looked at each other and knew it was time. The instant the light turned green, they turned on the nitro and took off at about 150 mph. The frat boys never even got off the line, they just sat there staring.

Natch, the car never ran again. They took the engine apart and found the crankshaft and camshaft had snapped. Who says entertainment bargains don't exist anymore?

Squire
Aug 15, 2003, 04:28 AM

Yeah, I think a lot of people are over-bashing it because it's a PC. I have a PC and the case is absolutely brutal. I also like the G5 more but I'd certainly trade in my PC case for that...thing. (It'd probably look better in a polished black and silver, though. Or even bright yellow. The green looks too alien. ;))

Squire

Squire
Aug 15, 2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by patrick0brien
-Gents

I tell you what. As a CG artist in my spare time - that commercial was very nice. Yes, the AilienWare case is off-the-wall and I say good for them!

Talk about gutsy, agressive design. Sometimes it's possible to make something so ugly it's actually cool looking. The Chevy Avalanche comes to mind.

Here's a company that calls itself "AlienWare", so they cook up boxes that are - alien. Those grills are illuminated BTW.

I do have an AlienWare somewhere in my future, I'm hoping they keep this designer around - good for him.

As for "looking like a toy", well that's opinion of course, but it is arguable that the original iMac did too - and Macs have been accused of being toys for far longer than that.

I have to admit, there is a theme in this thread that walks a little close to blind loyalty to Apple. Rezet's comment about political party lines is a good one. Too often we let our loyalties close our minds to possibilities - especially those that are seemingly "opposed" to our own - and we do it before we have a chance to even absorb enough of the opposing perspective to know if it has value or not. But just because we close our minds and discount out of hand - doesn't mean it doesn't exist, let alone have value we could benefit from.

In another thread (bttm ;) ) I placed a quote:

"Suffer fools gladly. They may be right" - Holbrook Jackson

What we may consider to be a fool - is our opinion. And regardless of what our opinion is, doesn't instantly cause that "fool" to not have knowledge we can benefit from.

AlienWare is a damn fine box. I dare say the closest to the Apple of the PC world - they have a passion, and it shows.

We have to be careful when we cast stones.

patrick0brien: Your posts are always gentlemanly. I like the fact that you yourself never cast stones in your replies. Your avatar, therefore, is fitting.

I actually thought the case was cool-looking. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'd prefer it in black with a little silver on the "vents." Ends up someone posted a picture of just that. I generally don't like cheezy things. I think I have a good sense of taste and often scoff at those who don't. The only modifications I would even consider making to my car are a Momo steering wheel and shift knob. (The original ones are bad.)

However, I learned long ago that a PC case should be BIG first. My first Samsung desktop was small and sleek. When I saw the game "Empire Earth," I wanted to reconfigure my computer so that it would run that game. First, I needed a better graphics card. Gimme it, I said to the clerk. He informed me that I would also need a new mother board to make the card fit. I'll take it, I said. But the new mother board won't fit in the box, he replied. I said, okay maybe later. I waited 'til the computer deteriorated more then splurged.

My point: Because PCs need to be upgraded more, I would recommend a big box. If that Alien is big, I'd buy one. Of corse promotional materials always make the product look better (Big Macs don't really look like that, do they?) so I'd have to see just how it looked in person before I'd throw down the money for one.

(slurps beer)

And that's it.

Squire

patrick0brien
Aug 15, 2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Squire
Big Macs don't really look like that, do they?

-Squire

I appreciate the kind words. I do make an effort to be as fair and even-handed as I can be. Want to know the secret?

Lots and lots of edits :D

As for your question here - it intrigued me. Can you elaborate? Look like what? I've personally found the G4 towers to look exactly like the pictures. Shiny, curvy, and tight.

...or are you talking about the sandwich? In that case - NO FARGIN' WAY!!

the future
Aug 15, 2003, 09:53 AM
Of course promotional materials always make the product look better.

Well, that's one of the things I love about Apple: when you see their products in real life, it's never a letdown and more often than not they look even *better* than in magazines because only then you can really see the attention to detail and the gorgeous materials. Everytime I go to a big electronics chain where they have Macs and PCs I'm stunned just how big the style gap really is, much bigger than you could guess from pictures.

Abstract
Aug 15, 2003, 10:48 AM
I like both designs, but I would select the metallic blue finish and not the alien green colour. Their black is plain ol' fugly. :cool:

I also think the Sony Vaios are cool, too.

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 11:35 AM
Well, from my experience...I saw the Alienware on the website after seeing it reviewed on c|net. It looked pretty cool as a game rig, but figured I'd never see it in person. Two weeks ago I went to Best Buy with my dad to look for an all in one scanner for him to use in his office. So we are walking down the computer section when we see this *big* *green* thing...we walk towards it, and sure enough, it was the Alienware. Let me tell you, this thing is absolutely the most massive PC I have ever seen. It literally towers over everything else in the section. It was bright neon green, had neon blue lights lighting up half the shelf, and the thing was so noisy that the fans vibrated the case. It took a good 15 seconds of shock before we could even comment on how much of an eyesore it was. The specs are amazing, but dang, it is just bad. Seriously, my dad *loves* the style of his Pontiac Aztek, but even he couldn't help but say the case was beyond ugly.

As far as Apples looking as good or better in person...the pictures of the Aluminum powerbooks do not do them justice...the first time I saw them in the Apple Store I was all over them. I picked them up, touched every edge, opened and closed it, and just stood in awe. The things are just beautiful, eloquent, and sexy. I swear, when I get my new 15" AlBook, I am going to spend like 20 minutes just admiring the thing!

Rezet
Aug 15, 2003, 12:21 PM
Why do you keep yapping about lime green color? You don't like that color, get silver or black or whatever...

And MacBoyX I honestly don't remember bashing your ibook over my powerbook. If you could post the link to that thread maybe you'd refresh my mind.

And as for "it's not my mac bias, it's my honest opinion" for some reason, I just don't buy it. Again, If it wasn't mac forum, the replies would have been different to it majority.

I have nothing more to say about it. If you feel it sucks majorly, it's quite fine.

patrick0brien
Aug 15, 2003, 01:05 PM
when I get my new 15" AlBook, I am going to spend like 20 minutes just admiring the thing!

-Powerbook G5

And that's going to start 30 minutes after you start openeing the box - "ooh"-ing and "ahh"-ing over the packaging.

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 01:11 PM
I'll tell you this...ask some PC users. I am sure if you go to a gamer oriented forum, they may say it kicks ass, but I assure you, there are a whole lot of people out there that will think it is ugly, even if they are PC biased. Most of my friends are die-hard PC users and they'd just assume take a bat to that case and use a plain white case than that one. You have to realize, it's not Mac bias that we do not like the case. I for one have seen it in person and it is nothing impressive. Many of us have expressed fondness of many other PC designs. There are people on this forum who are Mac biased and have expressed how much they love the look of some Sony designs. I think some IBM designs look pretty nice (although their laptops are ugly) and one of my friends has a Fujitsu that is so kick ass...it is silver and has this mouse that is like a thumb pad from a Gamecube controller or something. My friend has a Dell that is black, blue, and silver, and that is a pretty sharp looking case, as well. It's got my personal favorite mix of colors. I also think my sister's Toshiba laptop is pretty sharp looking, and it's got two speakers underneath it in addition to the three it has on top to give it a pretty nice sound system. How's that for a nifty design? I personally think that with all that extra space on the 17" PowerBooks, Apple should have taken the opportunity to exploit it with better speakers or something. Just understand that it's not Mac bias, most of us just do not care for the over the top styling of the Alienware. It's like those cars from Fast and the Furious...personally, I would feel embarrassed driving one, but lots of my friends would give their first born child just to ride in one.

rueyeet
Aug 15, 2003, 01:11 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures, BTW; the commercial wouldn't run properly...something about my Windows PC lacking some QT component. I try not to mess with my work PC too much.

But I have to say--my first, immediate, completely gut reaction to those Alien cases was a giggle. That was swiftly followed by the vision of trying to stick PC guts into a life-size Darth Vader helmet--then by thoughts of sticking tentacles under it somehow and making a Cthulu-puter. Third thought: Hey, I bet those "Creature" speakers would go really well with those, in matching colors anyway.

I know the above considerations would be bonuses to some. I know that Alienware makes one heckuva serious high-power gaming rig, and I've thought many of their past efforts to go past the standard beige/black/silver PC box were pretty cool. But this just sets off my silly meter--in pretty much the same way that the G5's front makes me think "Cheese Grater" and snicker. It's got nothing to do with what processor's inside, or what OS the things run--it's got to do with the big glowing eyes on the front. They cause involuntary laughter in me. They just do. :D

For better or worse, that's my honest opinion, which of course does not in any way, shape, or form invalidate anyone else's. Co-existence of different opinions, like choice, is a beautiful thing.

Okay; I admit it, I just wanted to mention the Darth Vader and Cthulu ideas. hee!

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 01:14 PM
-Powerbook G5

And that's going to start 30 minutes after you start openeing the box - "ooh"-ing and "ahh"-ing over the packaging.

You know, I still have all the packaging from my PowerBook G3...I have the box in perfect shape, the box it was shipped in, all the original books, stickers, and much of the connectors in their original packaging. The box itself is quite a looker, hell, if you go to the Apple store and buy something, the bag they put it in is pretty sweet, too. I noticed when I bought a Solitaire compilation program for my girlfriend...I asked her for the bag back... :D

G5orbust
Aug 15, 2003, 01:20 PM
wow, this thread sure got ugly.

That case, which as a mentioned before is called the "predator", is actually not half bad looking for a PC case. Ive used it before outside of Best Buy (my friend owns one) and it does have more functionality than meets the eye. It has a cable collector in the back that keeps your cables from becoming a bloody mess. Id personally enjoy one of those for my mac, but I think that third party cable collectors work too. It also is relatively quiet- suprising because it has so many fans (including the "eyes" of the case that are actually add in card cooling fans) and such a large PSU.

I dont know why or how this thread turned from a discussion on case design to a platform for attacks on people's opinions. They are opinions, therefore no one should call them wrong.

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 01:26 PM
I agree, and I am sorry for getting upset, but I personally do not like being attacked and being called something just for my opinion on the case. I have seen it in person and it's just way too over the top for me. I guess my taste is just more for something more minimal and clean in design. For me, the sexiest computer I've used has been my baby of 4 years, my Lombard.

Rezet
Aug 15, 2003, 02:07 PM
I agree, and I am sorry for getting upset, but I personally do not like being attacked and being called something just for my opinion on the case. I have seen it in person and it's just way too over the top for me. I guess my taste is just more for something more minimal and clean in design. For me, the sexiest computer I've used has been my baby of 4 years, my Lombard.

You know Powerbook G5, anytime you call something that person likes or "someone" to that extent UGLY, you are already looking for a fight. If you said "I don't think it's for my taste", it would have been fine.
So why don't you reconsider who is starting what here. Noone is taking away your opinion, but expressing it the right way is the art which you obviously, know nothing about.

We are all good typers and talkers behind one's back or when we can hide behind our computers. I don't think you would say same thing if it was a computer liked by someone you deeply respect.

P.S. I don't think you'd like me saying that your G3 is slow garbage and looks like one as well, Would you? You'd be all over me in a jiffy. Saying how stupid and insensitive I'm or something like that. Think about it.

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 02:23 PM
Saying that the case is ugly is my opinion and it's as valid as any other opinion. And if you call my G3 slow...well, I agree with you, which is why I am looking forward to the new PowerBooks coming out so I can upgrade.

Rezet
Aug 15, 2003, 02:29 PM
Saying that the case is ugly is my opinion and it's as valid as any other opinion. And if you call my G3 slow...well, I agree with you, which is why I am looking forward to the new PowerBooks coming out so I can upgrade.

Argh, I know it's your opinion. But would you tell your best friend his gf is ugly even if you think so? Just an example.
It's just the matter of etiquette and being more or less polite and tolerant. I said WHATEVER! Don't like it? FINE! You have to yell about it from the rooftop as well? Or you simply want to get to Demi-God as soon as you can?

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 02:33 PM
I would not refer to anyone's girlfriend as ugly. You are losing sight in the fact that this is a computer. It's purely plastic molded over metal. My calling it ugly is not going to hurt its feelings or do anything to affect your decision in purchasing the thing, so it doesn't matter. It's purely aesthetics. I think it's ugly and that's my opinion. If you think my PowerBook is ugly, that is your opinion. I am still going to enjoy it all the same.

patrick0brien
Aug 15, 2003, 02:34 PM
-Gents

Now you're arguing about arguing about opinions about arguing about opinions.

Stop the madness!

Rezet
Aug 15, 2003, 02:36 PM
I think UGLY is extreme word to be used. GF might not know about it, but your friend will get pissed.
If I liked the design, you still spit in my derection by saying what obviously isn't necessary.

MacBoyX
Aug 15, 2003, 02:39 PM
Why do you keep yapping about lime green color? You don't like that color, get silver or black or whatever...

And MacBoyX I honestly don't remember bashing your ibook over my powerbook. If you could post the link to that thread maybe you'd refresh my mind.

And as for "it's not my mac bias, it's my honest opinion" for some reason, I just don't buy it. Again, If it wasn't mac forum, the replies would have been different to it majority.

I have nothing more to say about it. If you feel it sucks majorly, it's quite fine.

Rezet,

I admire your passion, a walk down memory lane...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27745
AND
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30477

In the first one someone actually posted asking you why you came at me so hard and said they were surprised I didn't flame back...LOL it's only a discussion board.

My only advice to you again is when post asking for people's opinions, don't get upset or defensive when people don't agree.

We all Think Different, even if most of us Think like Apple.

MacBoyX

NavyIntel007
Aug 15, 2003, 02:47 PM
Rezet, you must be single. Because if you had a girlfriend she would not let you buy this ugly alienware case and convince you it was ugly (because it is). My suggestion to you is to spend more time in AOL chat rooms than playing quake and maybe you'll know what looks good and what doesn't.

Rezet
Aug 15, 2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by MacBoyX
Rezet,

I admire your passion, a walk down memory lane...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27745
AND
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30477

In the first one someone actually posted asking you why you came at me so hard and said they were surprised I didn't flame back...LOL it's only a discussion board.

My only advice to you again is when post asking for people's opinions, don't get upset or defensive when people don't agree.

We all Think Different, even if most of us Think like Apple.

MacBoyX

Well in the first link, about ibook vs powerbook I didn't find my name at all, so get your records straight.
The second thread was about PC laptops vs Apple laptops. I defended PCs from a certain points of view and bashed em from others. I will say again that I still think PC laptops are faster hardware-wise. But Windows sux. Besides in that argument, you are the one who joined with the crappy attitude. It wasn't your thread, so don't tell me I was bashing your beliefs or whatever.

Rezet
Aug 15, 2003, 02:51 PM
Rezet, you must be single. Because if you had a girlfriend she would not let you buy this ugly alienware case and convince you it was ugly (because it is). My suggestion to you is to spend more time in AOL chat rooms than playing quake and maybe you'll know what looks good and what doesn't.

Don't educate me on what looks good and what doesn't. I'll deal without you. And if you think AOL chatrooms are for the cool "kids", I feel sorry for ya.
As for GF, no I currently don't have one.

I feel bad that you are such a MR.Style that needs to tell others what's ugly and whats hot out there. Sorry but not everyone enjoys being an Interior Decorator...

ima_pseudonym
Aug 15, 2003, 02:56 PM
Argh, I know it's your opinion. But would you tell your best friend his gf is ugly even if you think so? Just an example.
It's just the matter of etiquette and being more or less polite and tolerant. I said WHATEVER! Don't like it? FINE! You have to yell about it from the rooftop as well? Or you simply want to get to Demi-God as soon as you can?

Wow, you must really take your computers seriously if you feel that they deserve the same respect as a girlfriend.

If my best friend asked me what I though about the looks of any of his material possessions, I would tell him what I thought. If he had a predator, I would tell him to his face that it was butt-ugly. I wouldn't expect my comment to a) change his mind one wit (except maybe on what to get me for christmas) or b) make him feel at all bad about his purchase (he got it, presumably, because he liked it not because of what others thought).

I have to say I am a bit puzzled by your frequent posting of threads asking other people what they think about something, and then getting all defensive if they happen to disagree. If you don't want to listen to divergent opinions, either don't start the threads, or make it clear in the initial post that you are only looking for affirmation (that way we could respond as if you had just gotten a new haircut - and if we don't like it, we'll just say that it is really...interesting or very...different).

Rezet
Aug 15, 2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by ima_pseudonym
Wow, you must really take your computers seriously if you feel that they deserve the same respect as a girlfriend.

If my best friend asked me what I though about the looks of any of his material possessions, I would tell him what I thought. If he had a predator, I would tell him to his face that it was butt-ugly. I wouldn't expect my comment to a) change his mind one wit (except maybe on what to get me for christmas) or b) make him feel at all bad about his purchase (he got it, presumably, because he liked it not because of what others thought).

I have to say I am a bit puzzled by your frequent posting of threads asking other people what they think about something, and then getting all defensive if they happen to disagree. If you don't want to listen to divergent opinions, either don't start the threads, or make it clear in the initial post that you are only looking for affirmation (that way we could respond as if you had just gotten a new haircut - and if we don't like it, we'll just say that it is really...interesting or very...different).

OMG, Now I'm gonna take flak for GF example. IT was just an example that came into my mind. I dont think it's the same thing. But you still in a way spit in the direction of a person who obviously likes something. Sure it won't change my mind. And it's always better to get any responses than none. But being atleast alittle polite wouldn't bother would it?

As for the second part of your question, the one you are puzzled about. It's simple. Eveyone who comes to the thread starts to tell about one side of the things, completely not seeing another. (ZIP Thread) I provided arguments on to why it's still not dead while others tried to prove why it is. It's called an argument.
Just because it's an opinion doesn't mean you can't argue about some things. What would you rather have? just bashing 24/7?
I think we get that enough here. Why don't we all start saying how ugly Predator case is and see where it gets us.

P.S. Besides My threads are hot. It's a debate over something. not just a thread that collects 2 replys about "powerbooks feet" or something.

Sun Baked
Aug 15, 2003, 03:09 PM
Look's like the thread has fallen victim to repeated personal attacks. :rolleyes:

But, if you want people to be honest. Don't get insulted when they take one look at your haircut and burst out laughing, or throw up all over your shiny new trinket.

Thankfully tastes change, imagine a world that still treasured nylon leisure suits. :eek:

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?postid=186892

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 03:14 PM
One word....'70s...dear God. Enough said. :)

tjwett
Aug 15, 2003, 04:08 PM
hey, speaking of girlfriends...maybe if some of you had one you wouldn't actually be getting your panties in such a situation about a friggn' computer case. yeah i think it's ugly, and i think the G5 looks good. but am i gonna defend it like it's a chick or any other person for that matter? um...no. that's just insane. i like Volvos. alot of people think that's really lame. should i care? sometimes i really think some of the people around here are actually banging their computers.

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 04:31 PM
Try to explain that one to Apple Care after you try to return it after wearing out the optical drive... ;)

tjwett
Aug 15, 2003, 04:49 PM
Try to explain that one to Apple Care after you try to return it after wearing out the optical drive... ;)

lol. that's a disturbing visual..."hey this is AppleCare. we couldn't retrieve any of your data but you've got enough DNA in here to clone an army." ok, that was gross. sorry.

Sun Baked
Aug 15, 2003, 04:49 PM
Seems like this is heading in the direction of

the "i got laid bcs of the G5 thread" (http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=8300945231&m=9710923085)

patrick0brien
Aug 15, 2003, 04:55 PM
-Gents

Personally, it might not be a good idea to admit you can fit into an optical drive. And if it did, make sure it's not in burn mode. You don't want a tatoo of the digital track of "Rage Against The Machine" on you.

...or do you

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 04:59 PM
Just figured a little humor would lighten things up a bit. :)

tjwett
Aug 15, 2003, 05:19 PM
-Gents

Personally, it might not be a good idea to admit you can fit into an optical drive. And if it did, make sure it's not in burn mode. You don't want a tatoo of the digital track of "Rage Against The Machine" on you.

...or do you

omg, i just LOL'd in my pants!

LethalWolfe
Aug 15, 2003, 05:23 PM
Rezet,

OMG, why are you taking all this so personally and getting all worked up? It's okay for people to have differing opinions, and it's okay if you like something that most people don't (or vice-versa). Did you design that Alienware case yourself or something?

You keep saying that if you posted this on a PC forum the results would be different (hoping to find more people that agree w/you I'm assuming), and it also seems to be a sore point that most of the opinions on this thread have differed from yours (even though you've said you seek out varied opinions). So if most people agree w/you that is okay, but sense most people disagree w/you they are all blind followers of Apple? That doesn't make any sense.

If you posted this in a PC forum and everyone agreed that the Alienware case looked better than the G5 case would you be happy or would call everyone who agreed w/you a PC/Alienware zealot who only likes the Alienware case better because of their blind hatred of anything that's not a PC/Alienware?

Lethal

tazo
Aug 15, 2003, 05:26 PM
-Gents

...or do you

my. god.

:eek:

shadowfax
Aug 15, 2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Rezet So why don't you reconsider who is starting what here. Noone is taking away your opinion, but expressing it the right way is the art which you obviously, know nothing about.Originally posted by Rezet And as for "it's not my mac bias, it's my honest opinion" for some reason, I just don't buy it. Again, If it wasn't mac forum, the replies would have been different to it majority. say, i just love it when i am accused of being a robot. this statement implies that i do not have an opinion because (a) i like apple's style better than anything else (almost makes you wonder why i bought one and not an alienware, huh?) and (b) i disagree with you.

as i have said in other of "your" threads before, we each have a right to express our opinions as fully as we desire, while we also each have a responsibility not to die of a heart attack oover others'. i got to laugh my ass off about that ZIP thing, and now i am laughing my ass off about this. if you want to laugh at us, that's superb. i am happy for you. no, really, it's not an opinion that makes you human, it's your independence of opinion that does. but don't come in here and act like our opinions hurt you in some way, or that we are the devil incarnate, or we are just robots of steve jobs, unless you want us to respond in kind. it's one thing to voice an opinion and laugh your ass off, it's another to accuse someone else's opinion of being invalid. don't come here with that crap. just laugh. it's not that we ever said your opinion was invalid. we just disgree with it, and maybe get a kick out of it. i sure do. we love you, man, and you're welcome here, but stop acting like a d**k.

Rezet
Aug 15, 2003, 05:39 PM
Rezet,

OMG, why are you taking all this so personally and getting all worked up? It's okay for people to have differing opinions, and it's okay if you like something that most people don't (or vice-versa). Did you design that Alienware case yourself or something?

You keep saying that if you posted this on a PC forum the results would be different (hoping to find more people that agree w/you I'm assuming), and it also seems to be a sore point that most of the opinions on this thread have differed from yours (even though you've said you seek out varied opinions). So if most people agree w/you that is okay, but sense most people disagree w/you they are all blind followers of Apple? That doesn't make any sense.

If you posted this in a PC forum and everyone agreed that the Alienware case looked better than the G5 case would you be happy or would call everyone who agreed w/you a PC/Alienware zealot who only likes the Alienware case better because of their blind hatred of anything that's not a PC/Alienware?

Lethal

Say What? Talk about getting worked up. How about replys that make sense.
I repeated many times, if you don't like it, it's fine. If you don't care and don't get worked up what are you STILL doing on my thread? Geez even I don't have anything more to say but you find a way to be a demagogue.

Rezet
Aug 15, 2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by shadowfax
say, i just love it when i am accused of being a robot. this statement implies that i do not have an opinion because (a) i like apple's style better than anything else (almost makes you wonder why i bought one and not an alienware, huh?) and (b) i disagree with you.

as i have said in other of "your" threads before, we each have a right to express our opinions as fully as we desire, while we also each have a responsibility not to die of a heart attack oover others'. i got to laugh my ass off about that ZIP thing, and now i am laughing my ass off about this. if you want to laugh at us, that's superb. i am happy for you. no, really, it's not an opinion that makes you human, it's your independence of opinion that does. but don't come in here and act like our opinions hurt you in some way, or that we are the devil incarnate, or we are just robots of steve jobs, unless you want us to respond in kind. it's one thing to voice an opinion and laugh your ass off, it's another to accuse someone else's opinion of being invalid. don't come here with that crap. just laugh. it's not that we ever said your opinion was invalid. we just disgree with it, and maybe get a kick out of it. i sure do. we love you, man, and your welcome here, but stop acting like a d**k.

Well, I guess you are very easily ammused then. I think I gave good points about zip disc, and if you think it's the funniest thing ever I could care less. It's just funny people like POwerbook G5 come here with an attitude like they don't care about the issue and don't like the design yet post even more than someone who does. If I'm getting so worked up over it, why do you even bother to argue? In your own words, it doesn't change the opinion...

I'm pretty sure whatever you like is the best... ...well, like your avatar.

FusionMachine
Aug 15, 2003, 06:24 PM
Definately forget Alienware, and even though I love Apple, forget the G5 in the best case contest. Just check out www.voodoopc.com. The F-Class is the best looking tower I've ever seen (and no, I don't own one).

shadowfax
Aug 15, 2003, 06:34 PM
Well, I guess you are very easily ammused then. I think I gave good points about zip disc, and if you think it's the funniest thing ever I could care less. It's just funny people like POwerbook G5 come here with an attitude like they don't care about the issue and don't like the design yet post even more than someone who does. If I'm getting so worked up over it, why do you even bother to argue? In your own words, it doesn't change the opinion...

I'm pretty sure whatever you like is the best... ...well, like your avatar. i am not saying you didn't have good points about zip disk. you took it way too seriously, and that was funny. and i have a CD burner and an iPod; that's even funnier. like i said there, if you're happy with it, that's great, but it won't stop me from laughing. what i mean is, i can argue with you all day about this and not seriously get worked up or feel injured. i'm still snickering and making smart remarks.

my avatar is pretty tough to beat, huh? :p ;)

(if you were being sarcastic though, i'll just count you as one less guy i have to compete with ;))

Rezet
Aug 15, 2003, 06:40 PM
i am not saying you didn't have good points about zip disk. you took it way too seriously, and that was funny. and i have a CD burner and an iPod; that's even funnier. like i said there, if you're happy with it, that's great, but it won't stop me from laughing. what i mean is, i can argue with you all day about this and not seriously get worked up or feel injured. i'm still snickering and making smart remarks.

my avatar is pretty tough to beat, huh? :p ;)

(if you were being sarcastic though, i'll just count you as one less guy i have to compete with ;))

Well, you assume I'm very serious about this? heh ok.
AND "SMART" remarks? Now I know why it's funny to you.

And as for your avatar, do you even like it yourself? LOL

LethalWolfe
Aug 15, 2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by FusionMachine
Definately forget Alienware, and even though I love Apple, forget the G5 in the best case contest. Just check out www.voodoopc.com. The F-Class is the best looking tower I've ever seen (and no, I don't own one).

A bit too boxy for my tastes, but I do like computers w/case windows/cuts-outs and interior lights. When I get enough spare $$$ to build a gaming PC it's definetly going to have a window or design cut-out and interior lights. Maybe I'll even go so far as make sure all my parts have the same color PCB so it all matches. :D

Rezet, you seem to post a lot for someone w/o anything more to say. ;) And I keep revisting this thread because it amuses me, not because I care.

Lethal

Rezet
Aug 15, 2003, 06:43 PM
A bit too boxy for my tastes, but I do like computers w/case windows/cuts-outs and interior lights. When I get enough spare $$$ to build a gaming PC it's definetly going to have a window or design cut-out and interior lights. Maybe I'll even go so far as make sure all my parts have the same color PCB so it all matches. :D

Rezet, you seem to post a lot for someone w/o anything more to say. ;) And I keep revisting this thread because it amuses me, not because I care.

Lethal

And you seem to post too much for someone who doesn't care...
LOL you are easily amused. If you don't come back, you won't be missed though.

Umm, I dont have much to say about the case. Everyone seems to not like it.. :(

crap, this thread went off the tracks...

As for Those voodoo boxes, did I get it right? they cost 1300?

shadowfax
Aug 15, 2003, 06:47 PM
Well, you assume I'm very serious about this? heh ok.
AND "SMART" remarks? Now I know why it's funny to you. oh, you're being sarcastic too? that's cool. by "smart" i meant "smartass" rather than "intelligent," though i can do that too, when the mood strikes.
And as for your avatar, do you even like it yourself? LOL oh no, i only spend hours looking for pictures of her to make walpapers that i can spend hours on... and then chain them together in a picture folder for a rotating desktop, whee... mmmm.... or something.

Rezet, you seem to post a lot for someone w/o anything more to say. ;)see, he's already almost one of us! :p And I keep revisting this thread because it amuses me, not because I care. exactly. that's exactly how i feel, man! we're like peas in a pod... an iPod! ...or something.

Rezet
Aug 15, 2003, 06:49 PM
Shdow don't mean to sound ignorant, but is that chick famous? I can't make out the face. although I do think that avatar is lame, sorry.

LethalWolfe
Aug 15, 2003, 06:53 PM
LOL you are easily amused. If you don't come back, you won't be missed though. I don't understand how can you not care about the thread but still post here 24/7...

As for Those voodoo boxes, did I get it right? they cost 1300?

You shouldn't sell yourself short, you can be fairly entertaining Rezet. :D

The low-end rigs start at $1300, the higher end rigs start at $3k. I don't know what you get for you $$$ though 'cause I didn't bother to check out the system specs.

Lethal

Rezet
Aug 15, 2003, 06:56 PM
You shouldn't sell yourself short, you can be fairly entertaining Rezet. :D

The low-end rigs start at $1300, the higher end rigs start at $3k. I don't know what you get for you $$$ though 'cause I didn't bother to check out the system specs.

Lethal

That's what I'm here for... HAH! Check out my threads... 4-7 pages. Nice way to spice up your dim lives ehh???
(Not some "How to Fix Powerbook Feet" thread ehh???)

:) :)

Is that 1300 for the box or for good computer. HEHEHE :)
I don't think it looks really cool, but see-thru effect is kinda cool.
I've seen one of those designs on Tiger TV or something.

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 06:57 PM
I just find it funny that now he has resorted to making fun of our avatars, our choice in computers, our choice of which threads to post in, and of our post counts...all this because we didn't like the Alienware design...

shadowfax
Aug 15, 2003, 07:00 PM
I just find it funny that now he has resorted to making fun of our avatars, our choice in computers, our choice of which threads to post in, and of our post counts...all this because we didn't like the Alienware design... i don't think he was making fun of mine... rezet, she's "rena tanaka" or "tanaka rena" in the inverted last-name-first style of her native country, japan, where she is a hugely popular actress/model who appears all over--or so i am told. i like her because she's the most beautiful, photogenic person i've ever seen. i'm yet to find a film available here with her in it...

about that voodoo thing, i think the "pimped out" box is $3K, while there is a cheaper box for $1.3K.

Rezet
Aug 15, 2003, 07:01 PM
I just find it funny that now he has resorted to making fun of our avatars, our choice in computers, our choice of which threads to post in, and of our post counts...all this because we didn't like the Alienware design...

WTF, good morning Powerbook. If you don't like my things, why should I like yours??? hehehe.
And they say I take it too seriously...
G5, you had some good points before but now you sound just lame, like you are so pissed off.
I don't have an avatar, so why don't you make me one of your best, POwerbook G5.

Rezet
Aug 15, 2003, 07:02 PM
i don't think he was making fun of mine... rezet, she's "rena tanaka" or "tanaka rena" in the inverted last-name-first style of her native country, japan, where she is a hugely popular actress/model who appears all over--or so i am told. i like her because she's the most beautiful, photogenic person i've ever seen. i'm yet to find a film available here with her in it...

about that voodoo thing, i think the "pimped out" box is $3K, while there is a cheaper box for $1.3K.

Cool, can ya post a pic to see?

noel4r
Aug 15, 2003, 07:09 PM
g5 case = not a thing of beauty
alienware case = freaking ugly
cube case = hella cool

shadowfax
Aug 15, 2003, 07:09 PM
Cool, can ya post a pic to see? if you're talking about rena, click the "nails" link in my profile, it has a bunch of shots of her. i don't actually use that one as a desktop image, myself, but it has a lot of neat pictures of her in it. the blue one in my 'tar is by far the best.... you can get it here (http://www.deskmod.com/files/ssmac/files/Rena.jpg).

Originally posted by noel4r
cube case = hella cool say what you will about anything, but i have to agree that the G4 cobe was just about the coolest thing since sliced bread. with butter.

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 07:12 PM
WTF, good morning Powerbook. If you don't like my things, why should I like yours??? hehehe.
And they say I take it too seriously...
G5, you had some good points before but now you sound just lame, like you are so pissed off.
I don't have an avatar, so why don't you make me one of your best, POwerbook G5.

All this mindless trolling just because I don't like the look of the Alienware? You seriously need to learn that not everyone will like everything that you like, just get over it. Making personal insults towards other people is a good way to get banned, so seriously, just chill out so you don't end up doing something you regret.

Rezet
Aug 15, 2003, 07:13 PM
if you're talking about rena, click the "nails" link in my profile, it has a bunch of shots of her. i don't actually use that one as a desktop image, myself, but it has a lot of neat pictures of her in it. the blue one in my 'tar is by far the best.... you can get it here (http://www.deskmod.com/files/ssmac/files/Rena.jpg).

say what you will about anything, but i have to agree that the G4 cobe was just about the coolest thing since sliced bread. with butter.

She looks alright. I'm usually not very easily impressed with asian chicks, but this one has that "SweetHeart" factor. :)

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 07:14 PM
I also agree about the G4 Cube, it was definitely the coolest design and still is pretty stunning. I'd love to see a modern Cube to return, I realize it didn't make the biggest splash, but perhaps a second run may prove to be a success.

Rezet
Aug 15, 2003, 07:16 PM
All this mindless trolling just because I don't like the look of the Alienware? You seriously need to learn that not everyone will like everything that you like, just get over it. Making personal insults towards other people is a good way to get banned, so seriously, just chill out so you don't end up doing something you regret.

What are you talking about? Where did I personally insulted you?
Just Cuz I made some what shadow calls "smartpants" comments about your complaints, doesn't mean I try to insult you.
You are the one who is taking this seriously, not me. I wouldn't mind if you blocked my user name here and not replied to me if you think I'm so out- of-line...

He comes to my threads dishes a bunch of crap on what I like and then pretends to be OFFENDED...

Please! I'm not holding you here, you are free to leave and check out other threads if you don't like where this one is going.
BUt for the record, I said many times over, ITS FINE IF YOU DON"T LIKE THE ALIENWARE DESIGN, Let it go!

patrick0brien
Aug 15, 2003, 07:22 PM
That's what I'm here for... HAH! Check out my threads... 4-7 pages. Nice way to spice up your dim lives ehh???

-Rezet

Jes** Chr**! Back off willya?!?

You might be joking around here, but it sure looks like your'e getting close to trolling!

Could you please try to get back to being constructive?

Rezet
Aug 15, 2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by noel4r
g5 case = not a thing of beauty
alienware case = freaking ugly
cube case = hella cool

Mine:

G5 Case = Not a thing of beauty
AlienWare Case = Good looking for a PC
G4 Cube = Really cool. Sad they got discontinued. Why BTW? Upgradebility thingy?

Rezet
Aug 15, 2003, 07:26 PM
-Rezet

Jes** Chr**! Back off willya?!?

You might be joking around here, but it sure looks like your'e getting close to trolling!

Could you please try to get back to being constructive?

Cmon Patrick you know I got respect for you man.
That was just a joke to previous statement by lethal not to sell myself short. I dont mean to offend...

shadowfax
Aug 15, 2003, 07:27 PM
discontinued. Why BTW? Upgradebility thingy? more like, "that's a lot of money for such a small box. i would prostitute myself to get my hands on one, but that's illegal, so i can't get one so they won't sell well so apple will have to EOL them. darn!"

Rezet
Aug 15, 2003, 07:30 PM
more like, "that's a lot of money for such a small box. i would prostitute myself to get my hands on one, but that's illegal, so i can't get one so they won't sell well so apple will have to EOL them. darn!"

Maybe. I don't know. I used to play on Battle.net when they came out and so many mac and pc users were whining about it being not easily upgradeable...
I think they never even wanted to but had to pick on something.

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 07:31 PM
Yeah, they were really pricey...especially if you buy a monitor with them. As far as upgrading them, there are loads of upgrades and techniques for expanding them on xlr8yourmac, so they seem to be able to keep up with expansion pretty well considering the space and engineering constraints.

shadowfax
Aug 15, 2003, 07:32 PM
Maybe. I don't know. I used to play on Battle.net when they came out and so many mac and pc users were whining about it being not easily upgradeable...
I think they never even wanted to but had to pick on something. yeah. the upgradeability thing is mostly a gamers' issue. the only mac product that's really upgradeable on par with a PC is the Powermac. the iMacs, iBooks, and Powerbooks are all non-upgradeable, except for little things like RAM and airport. tha'ts just a fact of mac.

Rezet
Aug 15, 2003, 07:34 PM
I still remember that apple Hotnews page with "HONEY, I Shrunk the supercomputer"... :)

Why can't PCs make somethinng as cool as the cube? ARGH...
I mean Dell makes a what it calls "60% smaller" yet it has crap inside like CDROM and Integrated video. For like $1400...

And ALIEN WARE, thats where i agree with powerbook g5, it's huge. What did they put in there? If only they could make it smaller with similar design, I'd buy one.

patrick0brien
Aug 15, 2003, 07:37 PM
Cmon Patrick you know I got respect for you man.
That was just a joke to previous statement by lethal not to sell myself short. I dont mean to offend...

-Rezet

Well, good. I hoped that was the case - but please understand the combination of the heat this discussion has recently had, with the fact it is not easy to convey emotion along with the impossibility to convey body language in a medium such as this - boy, it sure looks nasty.

I still would like to stress to you to think about how your posts could be taken before you hit "Submit Reply".

Rezet
Aug 15, 2003, 07:43 PM
-Rezet

Well, good. I hoped that was the case - but please understand the combination of the heat this discussion has recently had, with the fact it is not easy to convey emotion along with the impossibility to convey body language in a medium such as this - boy, it sure looks nasty.

I still would like to stress to you to think about how your posts could be taken before you hit "Submit Reply".

HEH, I think everyone's life on east cost last night was a bit dim.
GLAD it's better now. :)

shadowfax
Aug 15, 2003, 07:44 PM
And ALIEN WARE, thats where i agree with powerbook g5, it's huge. What did they put in there? If only they could make it smaller with similar design, I'd buy one. well, then it wouldn't be as upgradeable and efficient with cooling. all that stuff "needs" a lot of air space to cool. it's a direct result of intel's philosophy of "let's clock it up and make the cooling system big and loud!" that results in 90 watt processors. seriously.

LethalWolfe
Aug 15, 2003, 08:10 PM
I still remember that apple Hotnews page with "HONEY, I Shrunk the supercomputer"... :)

Why can't PCs make somethinng as cool as the cube? ARGH...
I mean Dell makes a what it calls "60% smaller" yet it has crap inside like CDROM and Integrated video. For like $1400...

And ALIEN WARE, thats where i agree with powerbook g5, it's huge. What did they put in there? If only they could make it smaller with similar design, I'd buy one.

I don't much about them but have you checked out Shuttle computers (http://us.shuttle.com/)?

Lethal

Rezet
Aug 15, 2003, 08:15 PM
I don't much about them but have you checked out Shuttle computers (http://us.shuttle.com/)?

Lethal

These look alright. But seems abit over with the buttons.
And how much one of those cases would cost?

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 15, 2003, 08:53 PM
With regards to the Cube...

http://pvponline.com/archive.php3?archive=20010509

I used to have this hanging on my wall. All of my friends thought it was hilarious too. Enjoy! :D

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 09:02 PM
Good stuff :)

patrick0brien
Aug 15, 2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe

I used to have this hanging on my wall. All of my friends thought it was hilarious too. Enjoy! :D

-Haaaah! :D

shadowfax
Aug 15, 2003, 09:13 PM
These look alright. But seems abit over with the buttons.
And how much one of those cases would cost? check the site. my grandpa was all over those for awhile. they are ultimate for LAN parties when paired with headphones and a nice LCD panel. very portable desktop systems. they are really quiet too, using a heat dissipation technology developed at los alamos, NM, i think.

tazo
Aug 15, 2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Daveman Deluxe

Haha that is great. Where can I order that poster :cool:

SLJ
Aug 16, 2003, 12:03 AM
One simple word regarding about the G5 case.... professional looking...

Alienware is pure game case to show off to people but you are not going to impress people who doing business... I cannot image having so many of those Alienware case in your office... Right?

Apple want to target the G5 into the business and professional market... the complete G5 package is PROFESSIONAL... looking...

Apple is heading to the right direction... building up the MARKET share...

Powerbook G5
Aug 16, 2003, 12:38 AM
That sums it up pretty well. The G5 is meant to have a very understated, functional appeal. It is clean and minimalistic. It's a different target than the Alienware, which is meant purely for the younger game oriented market. Most recording studios, businesses, and personal users would think it a product of ridicule to have one sitting on each desk. It doesn't mean it's bad, it just means it's a different market. If it appeals to you, the it has done its job of hooking that certain user. So far, I've seen one in person so I am fully able to make my judgement...I am just waiting for the G5 to make its way into the Apple Store so I can finally make a judgement for myself on the G5. I've had many thoughts on it, but looking at pictures just cannot truly give you a grasp of what a design looks like in person.

Rezet
Aug 16, 2003, 01:30 AM
That sums it up pretty well. The G5 is meant to have a very understated, functional appeal. It is clean and minimalistic. It's a different target than the Alienware, which is meant purely for the younger game oriented market. Most recording studios, businesses, and personal users would think it a product of ridicule to have one sitting on each desk. It doesn't mean it's bad, it just means it's a different market. If it appeals to you, the it has done its job of hooking that certain user. So far, I've seen one in person so I am fully able to make my judgement...I am just waiting for the G5 to make its way into the Apple Store so I can finally make a judgement for myself on the G5. I've had many thoughts on it, but looking at pictures just cannot truly give you a grasp of what a design looks like in person.

Well, that's a good statement. As for G5 cases, I honestly don't like them for my room. But I guess if you build it in a ceratin way using metal and glass desks etc. it would look incredibly nice. But would give a bit of a cold style that most wouldn't want for a bedroom lets say...
But honestly, if one is willing to shove a processor under the desk, it makes no difference what it looks like but rather what it functions like.

I must admit that 100% my PC loving friends were impressed by insides of G5. About 30% said G5 case looked good from the outside. About 70% said Alienware looks cool. And like 10% people HERE think that alienware looks good. So that wraps up the useless stats, so I'm going to sleep .... ;)

LethalWolfe
Aug 16, 2003, 01:44 AM
Well, that's a good statement. As for G5 cases, I honestly don't like them for my room. But I guess if you build it in a ceratin way using metal and glass desks etc. it would look incredibly nice. But would give a bit of a cold style that most wouldn't want for a bedroom lets say...
But honestly, if one is willing to shove a processor under the desk, it makes no difference what it looks like but rather what it functions like.

I must admit that 100% my PC loving friends were impressed by insides of G5. About 30% said G5 case looked good from the outside. About 70% said Alienware looks cool. And like 10% people HERE think that alienware looks good. So that wraps up the useless stats, so I'm going to sleep .... ;)

Just curious how old are yer friends and do the computers they purchase get used for home/school/game type stuff or professional/business type stuff?

Lethal

Rezet
Aug 16, 2003, 01:49 AM
Just curious how old are yer friends and do the computers they purchase get used for home/school/game type stuff or professional/business type stuff?

Lethal

Well, Most of them are around my age (18-22).
Some play games, some don't play games at all. Some only check email online, some are in the same major as me: DIGITAL ARTS.
Majority I'd say use computers for regular stuff, email chattting internet.. nothing heavy.
But I know where you are going with this.... I think everyone already got your point...

LethalWolfe
Aug 16, 2003, 02:25 AM
Well, Most of them are around my age (18-22).
Some play games, some don't play games at all. Some only check email online, some are in the same major as me: DIGITAL ARTS.
Majority I'd say use computers for regular stuff, email chattting internet.. nothing heavy.
But I know where you are going with this.... I think everyone already got your point...

Weren't you going to bed? ;)

And how could everyone already get my point when I never brought this point up to begin with?:p Powerbook G5 brought up demographix/target audience point. And sense you had an unoffical poll of yer friends about this I was just curious as to what demographic they fell into. Ya know, a little unoffical theory vs. reality check if you will.

Lethal

Squire
Aug 16, 2003, 03:35 AM
She looks alright. I'm usually not very easily impressed with asian chicks, but this one has that "SweetHeart" factor. :)

Shadowfax: After checking out the "nails" collage, I can now understand your infatuation. Wow. My favorite is the one in the bottom right where she's crouched down next to the suitcase.

I'm always very impressed with Asian "chicks." In fact, I married one. ;)

Back to case designs, I remember the first time I saw a Cube. I wanted one so badly but couldn't afford it. I check out the Korean version of eBay and see one listed occasionally but they don't seem much cheaper than new. Oh, well. Later.

Squire

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 16, 2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by tazo
Haha that is great. Where can I order that poster :cool:

No poster, but there used to be a t-shirt. There might still be one.

shadowfax
Aug 16, 2003, 01:07 PM
My favorite is the one in the bottom right where she's crouched down next to the suitcase. that's definitely the best one in that collage. i still like the blue wall picture best, but i was "introduced" to rena with that suitcase photo (which was originally black & white)... i saw it in someone's screenshot at deskmod.com and asked him about her. it took him awhile, but he eventually got her name. then i found a bunch of other stuff :)

back on cases, it's a nice suitcase!

Powerbook G5
Aug 16, 2003, 01:18 PM
I second that :)

Rezet
Aug 16, 2003, 05:17 PM
I second that :)

Hey, powerbook G5, I just checked out those "predator" cases in person, and you are partly right. They are huge and a bit tacky. I really like this alien type of structure but I wouldn't buy a computer of this size though...
If they only made same computer design but 30-50% smaller, it would be on my wish list.

BTW how much smaller is G5 gonna be?

Sun Baked
Aug 16, 2003, 05:34 PM
Hey, powerbook G5, I just checked out those "predator" cases in person, and you are partly right. They are huge and a bit tacky. I really like this alien type of structure but I wouldn't buy a computer of this size though...
If they only made same computer design but 30-50% smaller, it would be on my wish list.

BTW how much smaller is G5 gonna be? At least we all agree your taste in computer designs leans towards tacky. :D :p

shadowfax
Aug 16, 2003, 06:08 PM
BTW how much smaller is G5 gonna be? i doubt it will be much smaller. it's a friggin' monolith in the pictures. it has 8 RAM slots, man, heh.

the specs at apple run:
Height: 20.1 inches (51.1 cm)
Width: 8.1 inches (20.6 cm)
Depth: 18.7 inches (47.5 cm)
Weight: 39.2 pounds (17.8 kg)

i could be wrong though. i've just wasted about 20 minutes searching for some damn specs on the alienware box. i am going to guess it's a few inches taller, but not more than 5. what a shameful company; how could they omit such a crucial detail? if i am thinking about buying it and i have some size restrictions due to a desk or something, what am i going to do? that's so stupid. they should have a PDF spec sheet somewhere.

Rezet
Aug 16, 2003, 07:00 PM
i doubt it will be much smaller. it's a friggin' monolith in the pictures. it has 8 RAM slots, man, heh.

the specs at apple run:
Height: 20.1 inches (51.1 cm)
Width: 8.1 inches (20.6 cm)
Depth: 18.7 inches (47.5 cm)
Weight: 39.2 pounds (17.8 kg)

i could be wrong though. i've just wasted about 20 minutes searching for some damn specs on the alienware box. i am going to guess it's a few inches taller, but not more than 5. what a shameful company; how could they omit such a crucial detail? if i am thinking about buying it and i have some size restrictions due to a desk or something, what am i going to do? that's so stupid. they should have a PDF spec sheet somewhere.

Great point. I can't fit like 56 cm tower on my desk. I have cabinets like 45 cm above....

Powerbook G5
Aug 16, 2003, 08:47 PM
The G5 is a bit smaller, but not by much. I think it's not as wide or deep as the Alienware, either. The G5 is a monster, but I've seen pics of it side by side with the MDD G4 units and it may be bigger, but not by a vast degree.

Rezet
Aug 16, 2003, 09:05 PM
The G5 is a bit smaller, but not by much. I think it's not as wide or deep as the Alienware, either. The G5 is a monster, but I've seen pics of it side by side with the MDD G4 units and it may be bigger, but not by a vast degree.

What's the height of G4 tower?

LethalWolfe
Aug 16, 2003, 09:09 PM
What's the height of G4 tower?

From Apple.com:

Size and weight
Height: 17.0 inches (43.2 cm)
Width: 8.9 inches (22.7 cm)
Depth: 18.4 inches (46.8 cm)
Weight: 42 pounds (19.1 kg) (7)

Lethal

Rezet
Aug 16, 2003, 09:17 PM
Heh, that one would fit right in... ;)

shadowfax
Aug 16, 2003, 09:23 PM
The G5 is a bit smaller, but not by much. I think it's not as wide or deep as the Alienware, either. The G5 is a monster, but I've seen pics of it side by side with the MDD G4 units and it may be bigger, but not by a vast degree. yes, if you know how big the G4 tower was, the G5 tower is slightly taller, and a good bit thinner. it probably has about the same depth, i have never noticed.

edit: gosh, i get up in the middle of my post to make an omelette, and someone beats me to it! oh well.