PDA

View Full Version : Someone explain the market for iPod Touch?

WannaGoMac
Sep 5, 2007, 10:57 PM
I just don't get who is the market for an iPod touch? With only 8gb/16gb of space, wouldn't most people prefer a nano as their "walkman" since it is cheaper? It's not able to use 3rd party apps without hacking, so it's not a "real" pda. I just don't get what apple is thinking...

oh, and how is multi-touch convenient to use when running or using the ipod at a gym.

Eidorian
Sep 5, 2007, 10:58 PM
Internet device with iTunes support.

adrianblaine
Sep 5, 2007, 10:59 PM
It's for all the people who want a "cool" mobile media device with wi-fi/internet and without an $80/month phone plan.

Eidorian
Sep 5, 2007, 11:02 PM
Yet another internet enable device besides my computer and Wii? :rolleyes:

--Wolf--
I agree with the topic creator, I mentioned you wouldn't be able to change song with it in your pocket, or it would be tough to do while running.

Basically it's for people that want to have a 'cool', expensive, mp4 player.

Personally, iPod for me is just music, my cellphone is the vids and pics. If the Nano wasn't so ugly, I'd just get that.

WannaGoMac
Hmm, an internet device that is dependent on wifi being available... doesn't sound like a great device to me.

Seems like it is a jack of all trades, master of none device to me.

gloss
Sep 5, 2007, 11:05 PM
Internet in my pocket (hotspots everywhere in Northern Virginia), sexy music player, video player with a larger/sharper screen than the HD-based iPod. It's also thinner and in all likelihood much more durable than the iPod Classic. No moving parts = win.

Plus there's some serious expandability on the horizon, given that it's running OSX and therefore hackable. iPDA, here we come.

Eidorian
Sep 5, 2007, 11:05 PM
Hmm, an internet device that is dependent on wifi being available... doesn't sound like a great device to me.

Seems like it is a jack of all trades, master of none device to me.Wi-Fi is everywhere. :confused:

I'm being bombed by three other routers in my apartment alone. Every coffee shop down the street is pumping it out too. 2.4 GHz is crowded around here.

I'm not even on the west coast! Midwest <3

TimJim
Sep 5, 2007, 11:07 PM
im in the market. i wanted an iphone, couldnt get it cause i have to have verizon.
it will probobly end up having similar application hacks like the iphone (nes/terminal)

Shanesan
Sep 5, 2007, 11:07 PM
This is the college kids wet dream.

Firstly, wifi is available on 19 out of 20 college campuses. Music is also on 99.999% of all college campuses. Music + Wifi = iPod Touch.

And the demographic of college students is giant. Also, college students like to hack things. It will take about 24 hours to have iChat or equivilant on it.

So their current phone to make calls. Their iPod touch to browse the internet, IM people and do whatever has to be done on the go.

blueicedj
Sep 5, 2007, 11:08 PM
so disappointing...I had been waiting for the ipod touch for years...16 gb's is just not enough...I suppose I will have to wait another year :(

Eidorian
Sep 5, 2007, 11:12 PM

Firstly, wifi is available on 19 out of 20 college campuses. Music is also on 99.999% of all college campuses. Music + Wifi = iPod Touch.

And the demographic of college students is giant. Also, college students like to hack things. It will take about 24 hours to have iChat or equivilant on it.

So their current phone to make calls. Their iPod touch to browse the internet, IM people and do whatever has to be done on the go.What bothers me is what kind of authentication it'll support.

Shanesan
Sep 5, 2007, 11:13 PM
What bothers me is what kind of authentication it'll support.

To assume would be folly, but I would have to think it would support the same authentication that the iPhone supports?

Most secure school networks use a registration system anyway - not an authentication system.

PkennethV
Sep 5, 2007, 11:16 PM
Also, college students like to hack things. It will take about 24 hours to have iChat or equivilant on it.

Exactly. Imagine IM-ing on your iPod. And with WiFi you can sent free SMS/Text messages if your parent has something against "using your phone too much" and not let you get a texting plan (not that I know anyone like that:rolleyes:) In my high school, there's wifi everywhere.

Eidorian
Sep 5, 2007, 11:17 PM
To assume would be folly, but I would have to think it would support the same authentication that the iPhone supports?

Most secure school networks use a registration system anyway - not an authentication system.Mine uses a Thawte Premium Server CA.

I'll ask my iPhone owning coworker if he can get on it.

Shanesan
Sep 5, 2007, 11:18 PM
In my high school, there's wifi everywhere.

R'uh r'oh! Another thing for schools to BAN!!!111 :rolleyes:

Thawte Premium Server CA

A..what? I'm a comp sci major and I never heard of that. Is that something your school made? Or is that just the server, and not the encryption? How did you connect to your network first day?

rcfa
Sep 5, 2007, 11:18 PM
The iPod touch would have been useful if any of the following were present:

a) VoIP phone capability to use it as a VoIP handset with the WiFi
b) With 160GB HD, such that coverflow, video and photo capabilities would actually be powerful enough to justify the fancy touch user interface. For 16GB worth of media, the touch UI is overkill
c) as a full Internet access device, the screen is too small

Where all this is going: a truly portable Mac in a ultra-portable brick with a reduced portable GUI on a touch screen, and a full fledged Mac GUI when stuck in a docking station, with hook up to a real screen and keyboard.
For this to happen, though, we'll 100GB+ of mass storage durable enough to stand up to computing use (read/write cycle count, heat, etc.), and a mobile CPU fast enough for at least iWork, iLife, Mail.app and Safari, while being low-power enough to run on a iPod/iPhone size battery.

OQO already goes that path and was founded by former Apple employees, but the price and media capabilities, are not quite there yet. If you look at OQO and Apple's iPhone/iPod Touch, you know where the future is. In the mean time, I'll let others pay for the development. The iPhone has actual value, the iPod touch just gets you bragging rights.

Eidorian
Sep 5, 2007, 11:20 PM
A..what? I'm a comp sci major and I never heard of that. Is that something your school made?Thawte Premium Server Certificate Authority

It's the server that you have to authenticate against to get onto our wireless network.

I'm a Spanish major. Should I change if I knew that?

Schnebar
Sep 5, 2007, 11:20 PM
http://www.macpolls.com/

There is obviously a big market for them.

I ordered one because I wanted an iPhone but am stuck with my family plan and Verizon.

It is a cool new gadget that I can play around with and take on planes or long car rides. Even hook up to my car stereo and control it with the radio.

I can use it in school to check stuff on the internet when I have nothing to do.

Can you say all of sparknotes in my pocket just one click away?

dejo
Sep 5, 2007, 11:24 PM
I just don't get who is the market for an iPod touch?
Reading many posts on these very forums leading up to and after the iPhone launch, you would realize that there are plenty of people desiring a phone-less iPhone, which is pretty much what the iPod touch is.

Shanesan
Sep 5, 2007, 11:28 PM
Thawte Premium Server Certificate Authority

It's the server that you have to authenticate against to get onto our wireless network.

I'm a Spanish major. Should I change if I knew that?

Not necessarily, but you're a step ahead of the curve. That really has nothing to do with encryption. It's just a certificate. Safari can handle certificates, so you shouldn't have a problem.

Eidorian
Sep 5, 2007, 11:30 PM
Not necessarily, but you're a step ahead of the curve. That really has nothing to do with encryption. It's just a certificate. Safari can handle certificates, so you shouldn't have a problem.Sadly it's the protocols required to reach the server that worries me. It's not browser based authentication.

appleSA90
Sep 5, 2007, 11:32 PM
does it just connect where ever a wireless signal is available or do you need to subscribe to something? i.e. would it work at home, library, school etc right out of the box?

Eidorian
Sep 5, 2007, 11:33 PM
does it just connect where ever a wireless signal is available or do you need to subscribe to something? i.e. would it work at home, library, school etc right out of the box?If it's unprotected wi-fi you could connect to it just like any other device with wireless.

Secured networks would need authentication.

How is it different from a laptop with wireless? I understand that the laptop would have a more robust operating system. My Wii can connect the neighbor's wireless since it's not protected. :confused:

Shanesan
Sep 5, 2007, 11:34 PM
Sadly it's the protocols required to reach the server that worries me. It's not browser based authentication.

Sounds like a call to your local help desk is in order. :)

Eidorian
Sep 5, 2007, 11:34 PM
Sounds like a call to your local help desk is in order. :)It's nice when you're the helpdesk.

Yes, Spanish major...

shadowmoses
Sep 6, 2007, 12:46 AM
The iPod touch was an extremely clever move by Apple. I am not going to bother to explain the demographic but imagine all the people who want an iPhone but don't want the service plan.....Its going to be a huge seller

Zwhaler
Sep 6, 2007, 01:25 AM
The iPod Touch is for people who want an iPhone without the phone. I want an iPhone, but I have verizon, and am not willing to back out of my contract (better service here than at&t, plus I like my phone) so Im getting an iPod touch :) plus it comes offered in 16 gigs, opposed to the iPhones 8.

nightelf
Sep 6, 2007, 01:40 AM
I am web developer and I think the iPod touch would be great as a mini computer.

It would be great for restaurants or warehouses. A camera would also be nice if it could read barcodes like Delicious Library.

danysl
Sep 6, 2007, 02:08 AM
What about car owners, some companies have started to fit cars to be ipod ready. So the ipod touch...in CARS, nuff said.

dpig69
Sep 6, 2007, 02:40 AM
The iPod touch is perfect for me. I have an iMac but no laptop, the iPod Touch is a great alternative for portable light-duty internet access. I'm don't own a cell phone, it's just another monthly bill I don't need, and I couldn't use an iPhone anyways because I live outside the USA. I'm not sure how big my demographic is, but the iPod touch seems to be designed just for me.

beer.coffee
Sep 6, 2007, 03:22 AM
I'm normally someone who would want my whole collection on one device. But the iPod touch is just too cool. Touch, Safari, Wifi iTunes, Coverflow, a Widescreen display (die 4:3 ratio), iCal and Address Book...I'm sold.

I'm willing to give up 80Gigs of music as well as every season of Seinfeld, Lost, Six Feet Under, the first 8 seasons of the Simpsons and my ten favorite movies just to have the iPod Touch. Seriously, why do i need all that at one time?

Apple, you have given me a perfect product. Thank you!

queshy
Sep 6, 2007, 03:31 AM
I'm normally someone who would want my whole collection on one device. But the iPod touch is just too cool. Touch, Safari, Wifi iTunes, Coverflow, a Widescreen display (die 4:3 ratio), iCal and Address Book...I'm sold.

I'm willing to give up 80Gigs of music as well as every season of Seinfeld, Lost, Six Feet Under, the first 8 seasons of the Simpsons and my ten favorite movies just to have the iPod Touch. Seriously, why do i need all that at one time?

Apple, you have given me a perfect product. Thank you!

+1.

Hah they should discontinue the zune...what a rip.

synth3tik
Sep 6, 2007, 03:31 AM
Steve should have said " We call it the i, it's and iPhone without the Phone, i"

NATO
Sep 6, 2007, 03:49 AM
The iPod Touch is an iPhone with the Phone capabilities taken out. This in itself is not a bad thing because obviously those (in the USA) who don't want to move to AT&T and those outside the USA who can't get the iPhone at all will be able to have the iPhone-type experience.

The only problem is that when you remove the phone capabilities you're left with an iPod with a fancy user interface as a lot of the functionality of the iPhone comes from the mobile data connection. I know it has WiFi, but this means you can only really use it at home or where there's a hotspot, which isn't comparable to having an on-demand data connection as you have to be in range of WiFi then you have to deal with connecting to the hotspot which usually involves paying and obtaining/using a username/password to get access to the hotspot. Point being, it's great for occasional WiFi access, but don't expect to be using WiFi in any way frequently.

Because you're left with an iPod with a fancy UI, you need to be able to make use of it as an iPod and where 4GB/8GB might be sufficient in an iPhone as the iPod functionality is a secondary function, the iPod Touch needs more storage space in order to make it truly useful. Otherwise you're spending (for 8GB storage) £70/$100 more than an equivalent iPod nano but with a touch-screen interface.

Therefore it comes down to this: Are you willing to pay £70/$100 (minimum) more for a touch screen? If so, you're in the target demographic for the iPod Touch.

WannaGoMac
Sep 6, 2007, 05:19 AM
deleted

WannaGoMac
Sep 6, 2007, 05:21 AM
http://www.macpolls.com/

There is obviously a big market for them.

I ordered one because I wanted an iPhone but am stuck with my family plan and Verizon.

It is a cool new gadget that I can play around with and take on planes or long car rides. Even hook up to my car stereo and control it with the radio.

I can use it in school to check stuff on the internet when I have nothing to do.

Can you say all of sparknotes in my pocket just one click away?

Sorry, but just because something is cool doesn't translate into a huge market success. Remember the Newton?

Wi-Fi is everywhere. :confused:

I'm being bombed by three other routers in my apartment alone. Every coffee shop down the street is pumping it out too. 2.4 GHz is crowded around here.

I'm not even on the west coast! Midwest <3

Well, I spent 3.5 hrs on the train yesterday traveling. Not one wifi spot the entire journey along the East coast. So while it is great you have 3 wifi routers in your house, I also assume you already have a computer to use in your house with these wifi spots.

WannaGoMac
Sep 6, 2007, 05:25 AM
The iPod touch was an extremely clever move by Apple. I am not going to bother to explain the demographic but imagine all the people who want an iPhone but don't want the service plan.....Its going to be a huge seller

Other than fans who "want a touch screen" I just don't get it...

The iPod Touch is for people who want an iPhone without the phone. I want an iPhone, but I have verizon, and am not willing to back out of my contract (better service here than at&t, plus I like my phone) so Im getting an iPod touch :) plus it comes offered in 16 gigs, opposed to the iPhones 8.

without a phone to provide internet service 100%, this is just a cute gadget and not a must-have.

I am web developer and I think the iPod touch would be great as a mini computer.

It would be great for restaurants or warehouses. A camera would also be nice if it could read barcodes like Delicious Library.

How? You can't program nor interface with the native API without doing another iPhone hack. Businesses ain't going to develop things for a hack.

The iPod Touch is an iPhone with the Phone capabilities taken out. This in itself is not a bad thing because obviously those (in the USA) who don't want to move to AT&T and those outside the USA who can't get the iPhone at all will be able to have the iPhone-type experience.

The only problem is that when you remove the phone capabilities you're left with an iPod with a fancy user interface as a lot of the functionality of the iPhone comes from the mobile data connection. I know it has WiFi, but this means you can only really use it at home or where there's a hotspot, which isn't comparable to having an on-demand data connection as you have to be in range of WiFi then you have to deal with connecting to the hotspot which usually involves paying and obtaining/using a username/password to get access to the hotspot. Point being, it's great for occasional WiFi access, but don't expect to be using WiFi in any way frequently.

Because you're left with an iPod with a fancy UI, you need to be able to make use of it as an iPod and where 4GB/8GB might be sufficient in an iPhone as the iPod functionality is a secondary function, the iPod Touch needs more storage space in order to make it truly useful. Otherwise you're spending (for 8GB storage) £70/$100 more than an equivalent iPod nano but with a touch-screen interface.

Therefore it comes down to this: Are you willing to pay £70/$100 (minimum) more for a touch screen? If so, you're in the target demographic for the iPod Touch.

Exactly. So while the few who want touch screen (i.e. at this forum), like the small numbers who wanted the Newton, will buy this, I don't get how this becomes a HUGE seller in the rest of the population.

Eidorian
Sep 6, 2007, 09:51 AM
Well, I spent 3.5 hrs on the train yesterday traveling. Not one wifi spot the entire journey along the East coast. So while it is great you have 3 wifi routers in your house, I also assume you already have a computer to use in your house with these wifi spots.Ah, traveling. I doubt in that on most methods of transportation you're going to find any sort of Wi-Fi access. Nice try though.

I only have 1 router in my place. All my computers are using Ethernet as well. :p

The others are from neighbors.

clevin
Sep 6, 2007, 09:58 AM
with support for native 3rd party app, it will be a PDA.

Masquerade
Sep 6, 2007, 10:00 AM
I just don't get who is the market for an iPod touch? With only 8gb/16gb of space, wouldn't most people prefer a nano as their "walkman" since it is cheaper? It's not able to use 3rd party apps without hacking, so it's not a "real" pda. I just don't get what apple is thinking...

oh, and how is multi-touch convenient to use when running or using the ipod at a gym.

because there's a world waiting for an iphone, and the ipod multitouch will hit them. also, theres a lot of itunes music stores out USA and therebefore, is a god biz.

http://files.macbidouille.com/news/200708/euromil.jpg

Chupa Chupa
Sep 6, 2007, 10:04 AM

Two markets for this:

1) Teens who don't have ATT and aren't likely to get mom and dad to switch
2) Adults ( 20-40 y.o. men mostly) who mostly want a video player, not an audio player, and don't want to, or can't go ATT.

My nephew (14) is jumping out of his pants for a Touch. As he says "its the one he's been waiting for." And, yes, he has his order in already. For reference he is a total jock, not an Apple fanboy, hacker, or geek. He just likes the large video touch screen, pure and simple.

The Touch is no more of a gym machine than the iPod/iPod Classic is. That is what the shuffle/nano are for. And it's not uncommon these days for people to have two iPods, even three. I have a 80GB for the car, a 8GB nano in the bedroom attached to ext. speakers which I use as an alarm clock, and and iPhone. IF I had not bought the iPhone I'd be in line for a Touch too. It's just too cool.

milo
Sep 6, 2007, 10:45 AM
Yet another internet enable device besides my computer and Wii? :rolleyes:

You take those everywhere in your pocket?

The market is simple:

Mobile internet.

Period.

Obviously, if you live where wifi is spotty or nonexistent, it's not appealing.

But there are many places that have widespread free wifi, some cities are even covering entire areas with it. If you spend most of your time where wifi is omnipresent, this device is *hugely* appealing and cheaper than an iPhone.

WannaGoMac
Sep 6, 2007, 10:49 AM
Ah, traveling. I doubt in that on most methods of transportation you're going to find any sort of Wi-Fi access. Nice try though.

I only have 1 router in my place. All my computers are using Ethernet as well. :p

The others are from neighbors.

I don't think you understand my response. Why do you need a WIFI device that only works in your home when one will have a computer in the home already for internet access? If this is a portable internet gadget, it ain't very helpful when you're traveling and can't find a wifi spot to connect -- this is where the iPhone DOES work.

with support for native 3rd party app, it will be a PDA.

Great. So when does that happen without hacks? I don't think apple will ever allow this if they didn't announce it yesterday or during the iPhone release in June.

Two markets for this:

1) Teens who don't have ATT and aren't likely to get mom and dad to switch
2) Adults ( 20-40 y.o. men mostly) who mostly want a video player, not an audio player, and don't want to, or can't go ATT.

My nephew (14) is jumping out of his pants for a Touch. As he says "its the one he's been waiting for." And, yes, he has his order in already. For reference he is a total jock, not an Apple fanboy, hacker, or geek. He just likes the large video touch screen, pure and simple.

The Touch is no more of a gym machine than the iPod/iPod Classic is. That is what the shuffle/nano are for. And it's not uncommon these days for people to have two iPods, even three. I have a 80GB for the car, a 8GB nano in the bedroom attached to ext. speakers which I use as an alarm clock, and and iPhone. IF I had not bought the iPhone I'd be in line for a Touch too. It's just too cool.

Hmm, I actually quite like my ipod 30gb in the gym. I can actually change songs by just nudging it on the side and don't have to look at it. My 3rd gen ipod was MUCH better as it had a great remote built into the top by the earpiece and not out the bottom as the current ones do.

WannaGoMac
Sep 6, 2007, 10:51 AM
deleted

Hag04
Sep 6, 2007, 11:01 AM
As a university student in canada ( no iphones ) the touch seems like somethine I'm going to get because the whole campus is wi-fi and is the only place i would really need the mobile internet. I only have one question will there be a way to input text or respond to emails?

andboom
Sep 6, 2007, 11:03 AM
I spend hours reading gmail / articles / forums / watching youtube whilst sitting at my computer at home and think many people such as myself will enjoy being able to sit and browse the internet from the garden or whilst sitting on the couch without getting a laptop out. Okay - it'll be harder to use but for forums / facebook etc. it should be pretty handy...

One thing I would like to know is if I will be able to transfer files such as Pages and Numbers docs to and from the iPod touch using wi-fi or whether the wi-fi stuff will only work with stuff that goes through iTunes. If I saved my business docs as .html docs/pdfs, could I get these on the iPod touch via Wi-Fi and view them in Safari? Could I use the iPod Touch to browse the hard drive attached to my Airport Extreme? Guessing there's no file manager for this sort of thing...:confused:

///alpinepower
Sep 6, 2007, 11:10 AM
Sounds like a call to your local help desk is in order. :)

oh, i've gotta lol that one :D

Eidorian
Sep 6, 2007, 11:20 AM
I don't think you understand my response. Why do you need a WIFI device that only works in your home when one will have a computer in the home already for internet access? If this is a portable internet gadget, it ain't very helpful when you're traveling and can't find a wifi spot to connect -- this is where the iPhone DOES work.I don't need one for home I already have a computer for that. I'm sorry that your methods of transportation don't have Wi-Fi access either. It's not typical of them to have such access.

It'd work fine on the unprotected and free Wi-Fi connections surrounding my house and neighborhood. Once more if you don't have any then why do you need an internet device? My pitiful town is plenty saturated to be able to use such a device.

Phobophobia
Sep 6, 2007, 11:26 AM
Why would anyone buy an iPod Mini when they can get five times the storage for only $50 more?
No one is going to buy an iPod Nano, you're paying more for less storage!
A music player without a screen will never succeed. People need screens.

You guys have no idea how successful iPod Touch is going to be. Most people don't care about how much storage it has.

squeeks
Sep 6, 2007, 11:32 AM
Someone explain the market for iPod Touch?

someone explain why you even needed to ask that question:rolleyes:

WannaGoMac
Sep 6, 2007, 11:34 AM
Why would anyone buy an iPod Mini when they can get five times the storage for only $50 more?
No one is going to buy an iPod Nano, you're paying more for less storage!
A music player without a screen will never succeed. People need screens.

You guys have no idea how successful iPod Touch is going to be. Most people don't care about how much storage it has.

The only thing that happened for me is that the iPhone got a lot more interesting now that it is priced appropriately. If the thing is unlocked so I can use whatever sim i want when traveling I will get one. Sure wish suckular/ATT had better coverage otherwise...

WannaGoMac
Sep 6, 2007, 11:34 AM
someone explain why you even needed to ask that question:rolleyes:

Because I like to analyze the industry. I don't get the market niche they are going for with this device and I was hoping people here could explain.

squeeks
Sep 6, 2007, 11:46 AM
Because I like to analyze the industry. I don't get the market niche they are going for with this device and I was hoping people here could explain.

its just been talked about so much, that i figured everyeone knew it was going to be a popular product

btw: the market is at least the 136 people who voted for TOUCH in the which ipod are you going to get poll

WannaGoMac
Sep 6, 2007, 12:22 PM
its just been talked about so much, that i figured everyeone knew it was going to be a popular product

btw: the market is at least the 136 people who voted for TOUCH in the which ipod are you going to get poll

Great! Well i look forward to seeing how this unfolds.

shoelessone
Sep 6, 2007, 12:28 PM

So their current phone to make calls. Their iPod touch to browse the internet, IM people and do whatever has to be done on the go.

Fo' Sho'.

I am a college student, and I honestly can't wait for my touch. Class will be so much more enjoyable!

Oftne times I'd bring my laptop to class to browse the web/chat/etc, but now I don't have to! the touch will do everything I need. flckr/facebook/gmail, as well as other things like woot.com, and of course chat.

BII
Sep 6, 2007, 01:25 PM
I won't pretend to know "what the market is" for the ipod touch but here's why I'm buying one:

I want a widescreen video player that has the same or better user experience as my previous/current ipods, i.e., easy to use controls, menus, works with my mac, etc.

I also like the wifi, I have "unlimited" hotspot use from t-mobile as part of my EDGE plan. There's a ton of starbucks in my area (I'm not fond of their coffee, but I will sit outside with my Peet's coffee and use the wifi :p). I also like being able to browse the web in my living room, etc.

I listen to a lot of podcasts, and so I'm syncing everyday. I welcome the flash over the harddrive, since it means more battery life, slimmer design, more durable.

I have a great smartphone (despite what Stevie J says about smartphones) and I think the iPhone really lacks some dealbreaker smartphone features. But it is a great media device, and a great browser, which my smartphone (t-mo dash) isn't.

if only I could tether the ipod touch to the dash, then use EDGE for the internets when I'm not in a hotspot. World's not perfect I guess.

bcooper0125
Sep 6, 2007, 01:49 PM
I completely agree 100% here (I actually just ordered my 8GB model :D). I don't need to put my movies on this thing, I just want something to play music, and if it can, browse the internet. I don't download movies on iTunes (the occasional music video, though), so I don't need 160GB of space...my old 30GB iPod does what I need it to, with tons of room to spare. I am only getting the touch because my current iPod has a huge gash in the screen and I can't read it anymore...

I use it more as a shuffle, anyway. So having less music on it will get more to the songs I really want to hear. And before you say, why not a shuffle - I like seeing the pictures and artists (sometimes I cant remember what a song is called or who sings it). And, while I'm driving, if I see a song on my radio (RDS enabled :)), I can get on iTunes (if there is a spot around, which there usually is...Phoenix is overrun), and download the song! How cool is that?!?!

Plus.....it just looks cool :cool:

Unspeaked
Sep 6, 2007, 02:18 PM
If you think this is something college kids will go for, you're not really in touch with today's college kids.

They have their cellphones for texting and IMing.

They want their iPods for (mainly) music and (maybe) movies.

Last night, I was in a record store - a very hip record store - and overheard two college guys talking. One was telling the other:

"Hey, did you see the Apple announcements today? They updated all the iPods and released some touch model, but the upped the storage on the old one to 160 gigs!!"

"No way, man! That's so much space!!"

"I know, I already ordered one this afternoon!!!"

"Cool - I'm gonna see if I can get one tonight!!!!"

So basically, these two college aged kids could not have cared less about the iPod Touch, but were TOTALLY ENTHUSIASTIC (like, honest to goodness excited, even hours after the announcement) that there was an iPod with 160GB of storage... and I think the average (read: downloading) college student would agree with them.

cube
Sep 6, 2007, 02:23 PM
Would you really watch a movie on the nano or even the Classic???

Sdashiki
Sep 6, 2007, 02:24 PM
If you think this is something college kids will go for, you're not really in touch with today's college kids.

Just by your statement, neither are you. So the rest of your comment, is no better.

Eidorian
Sep 6, 2007, 02:27 PM

1. In college
2. No cellphone
3. No iPod

I'll still waiting for it to hit the refurb store though.

Unspeaked
Sep 6, 2007, 02:39 PM
Just by your statement, neither are you. So the rest of your comment, is no better.

Great comeback, there.

1. In college
2. No cellphone
3. No iPod

I'll still waiting for it to hit the refurb store though.

Hey, I didn't say it applies to 100% of students - obviously, there'll be exceptions.

Heck, I'm not far from college age myself and I'm thrilled with the iPod Touch... but I think in general, kids are more excited about the Classic.

WannaGoMac
Sep 6, 2007, 02:41 PM

Neither. Screens are too small.

Crager724
Sep 6, 2007, 02:43 PM
I'm interested in the Touch because of the bigger screen. I have always thought that the iPod screen was too small to watch movies on. The bigger screen appeals to me. As far as 8 gb's of storage goes, is it not easy to pick and choose what you sync on your iPod? If there is a particular movie you want to watch, just make sync it before you leave and your good to go. Plus I only have about 2 gb's of music, so 8 gb's will work for me.

Sdao
Sep 6, 2007, 02:53 PM

Last night, I was in a record store - a very hip record store - and overheard two college guys talking. One was telling the other:

"Hey, did you see the Apple announcements today? They updated all the iPods and released some touch model, but the upped the storage on the old one to 160 gigs!!"

"No way, man! That's so much space!!"

"I know, I already ordered one this afternoon!!!"

"Cool - I'm gonna see if I can get one tonight!!!!"

So basically, these two college aged kids could not have cared less about the iPod Touch, but were TOTALLY ENTHUSIASTIC (like, honest to goodness excited, even hours after the announcement) that there was an iPod with 160GB of storage... and I think the average (read: downloading) college student would agree with them.

As a university student, I cant disagree with you more. I have approximately 50 gigs worth of music/podcasts/etc on my iTunes as we speak. I ordered a 16 gig iPod touch and have no problem with the capacity. 16 gigs is approximately 3,500-3,750 songs. If that isnt suffice for someone like myself (an avid music listener and student of popular music studies) then I'd be very greedy, wouldn't I? This is the product launch of one of the most amazing new media products to come out in the last little while and people are complaining as if it is the be all and end all.

the iPod touch will sell at amazing rates, its inevitable. If you really are disappointed in the capacity, all you have to do is wait. Eventually the iPod Touch will have everything we could ever ask for (mail, iChat, larger capacities, etc). For the time being, I dont mind listening to over 3,500 songs and switching them up every week or so. Its not that huge of a concern.

As for the students you overheard in the record shop, believe it or not, a lot of people are excited about larger capacities, but myself, and most of the people i've spoken to about the new iPods, have come to the conclusion that the iPod touch and its features/capabilities trump those of any other portable music player out there. The capabilities of the touch are endless, give it time.

Im sure Steve Jobs would agree... patience is a virtue.

milo
Sep 6, 2007, 02:53 PM

What do they use for wireless web browsing?

Sure, all the time, but usually on a TV with the video output.

Unspeaked
Sep 6, 2007, 02:55 PM

Those fancy laptops their mummy and daddy got them...

WannaGoMac
Sep 6, 2007, 03:05 PM

Probably a cell phone or a laptop.

Sure, all the time, but usually on a TV with the video output.

Hmm, i imagine the quality is pretty low given the compression and number of pixels when displaying on a larger screen. This is why the Apple TV sucks. I saw video on it the Apple store, phew the picture just SUCKS. Grainy, blocky, just terrible.

grinthock
Sep 6, 2007, 03:09 PM
here's the market... Simple answer.

1) company pays for my cell phone - so I have no choice and don't WANT to have to buy a phone just ot have an iphone

2) I beat the **** out of my cell -- clearly not gonna work with the iphone

3) I want a wireless PDA, but do'nt wanna carry 2 devices.

4) I am on a CDMA network -- I like my phone, or I like having the devices separate.

5) i'm in Canada, only option for an iphone is a hack, even after apple offers if IF they do it with be with our only GSM provider which stinks...

milo
Sep 6, 2007, 03:14 PM
Those fancy laptops their mummy and daddy got them...

Can't exactly fit that in a pocket. Something you can carry at all times will be appealing.

Hmm, i imagine the quality is pretty low given the compression and number of pixels when displaying on a larger screen. This is why the Apple TV sucks. I saw video on it the Apple store, phew the picture just SUCKS. Grainy, blocky, just terrible.

Actually on NTSC the quality is decent, I think it's comparable to DVD. I'm talking about 640x480 of course, not 320. DVD is 720x480, not much higher, and 264 is a much more efficient codec. I don't plan on going HD anytime soon, by the time I do I wouldn't be surprised if there's an iPod that can store and output HD.

And the aTV is capable of looking pretty damn good, it goes up to 1280 by 720 and supports a pretty high bitrate. If it looked bad, it was probably a bad encode. I'd certainly agree that apple should offer higher resolutions for their downloaded video content.

aethelbert
Sep 6, 2007, 03:54 PM
The market for the touch won't be the audiophiles. I think that it will be a more all-around device... competing with things list Nokia's Internet Tablets (which I owned). People with smaller multimedia collections (or those with another device) will get the touch for its features. And if it ever gets mail and/or some other widgets from the iPhone, it will be similar with other PDA devices as well... but not as many available apps.

thesdx
Sep 6, 2007, 04:19 PM
The iPod Touch will be perfect for me. It's basically just what I was hoping for: A phoneless iPhone. I don't have a huge music library, so 8GB is plenty for me.

plunar
Sep 6, 2007, 04:39 PM
like i posted in another thread,

apple should be marketing this thing as a PDA. if mail, stocks, etc get their act together on this thing it'd be perfect.

iPhone is not a phone. it's some sort of bar-shaped ipod/pda thingie with a speaker. when i use a phone, i want to use a phone (http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=us&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pip1&zone=pp&pid=10875)

nightelf
Sep 6, 2007, 05:49 PM
How? You can't program nor interface with the native API without doing another iPhone hack. Businesses ain't going to develop things for a hack.

As I mentioned, I am web developer. Many companies are using web applications for business. They could use Safari + Wi-Fi to access the apps.

Eidorian
Sep 6, 2007, 06:25 PM
Hey, I didn't say it applies to 100% of students - obviously, there'll be exceptions.

Heck, I'm not far from college age myself and I'm thrilled with the iPod Touch... but I think in general, kids are more excited about the Classic.Quite true.

I guess they do want to carry their entire collection of music then. I have 2000 songs but I don't listen to many more then 300 of them.

danysl
Sep 7, 2007, 01:45 AM
Other than fans who "want a touch screen" I just don't get it...

..., I don't get how this becomes a HUGE seller in the rest of the population.

Only the numbers will tell if the touch appeals to the masses, remember you may not want or like it it but I am most certain that a lot of people do, this device just doesn't seem to be what you would buy, so how about a macbook?

WannaGoMac
Sep 7, 2007, 04:33 AM
Only the numbers will tell if the touch appeals to the masses, remember you may not want or like it it but I am most certain that a lot of people do, this device just doesn't seem to be what you would buy, so how about a macbook?

Too heavy. Apple doesn't make a form factor I want to buy. I like sub-notebooks and mini-towers. I am not in Apple's customer profile.

gnasher729
Sep 7, 2007, 05:25 AM
What about car owners, some companies have started to fit cars to be ipod ready. So the ipod touch...in CARS, nuff said.

In my car, the iPod Touch would be completely pointless. I can plug in any reasonably new iPod, and control it through radio controls or controls on the steering wheel. However, I can _not_ control it through the iPod controls anymore. And I am sure I wouldn't _want_ to control it that way while I'm driving.

Actually, for the car I would prefer a new "iPod cheap ass" that doesn't have any fancy screen and almost no battery life (because power is supplied by the car), at the lowest possible price :rolleyes: A 4GB memory stick which I can get for <£18 would do almost as well, except that the car plays only MP3 and no AAC.

That said, the iPod Touch is just really, really cool and I want one. But not for the car.

i0Nic
Sep 7, 2007, 05:31 AM
I just sent this letter to steve jobs, I'm sure he won't read it but I sent it anyway.

Here it is:

Dear Steve,

I am a university student, and the new iPod touch is perfect for my needs and I'm sure a lot of other students. With the widescreen display and internet capabilities, we can watch movies between classes or on commute and check myspace around campus.

I think this could be the ultimate entertainment device for students, however there are a few small things that could be improved to make it the true entertainment and education device we have been waiting for.

1. Voice Recording: I currently use my macbook to record lectures, I would love to be able to simply use my ipod to do this. I realise the touch does not have a microphone which is a shame, but I and many others would love to see this in a future device.

2. Mail, Notes apps: These two are very important for a student, with these I can do away with my diary and I'm disappointed they aren't included in the touch as I see no reason for their exclusion.

3. Bluetooth: It would be great to use wireless headphones, or even better, transfer documents for viewing on the ipod. Many of us write lecture notes and like to read over them on commute or in bed. Having some word documents on our ipod would be perfect, and bluetoooth file transfer would make this easy to do.

4. Games: The multi-touch screen is perfect for some innovative games, and I'm sure you know how much student love to procrastinate. This is a must!

That's it. I realise storage capacity is out of your control until prices drop and I'm fine by this. I think with these inclusions, the iPod touch would truly be the ultimate device we are looking for.

dernhelm
Sep 7, 2007, 05:49 AM

Me! Apple asked me what I would buy. I told them a phone-less iPhone, and they made the device specifically for me. Oh yeah, and the rest of you can buy one as well...

;)

hotshotharry
Sep 7, 2007, 06:16 AM
Me! Apple asked me what I would buy. I told them a phone-less iPhone, and they made the device specifically for me. Oh yeah, and the rest of you can buy one as well...

;)

LOL i said phonless i-phone as well, but this is just an ipod with a browser - no BT no camera and so far, no software :-( .........

WannaGoMac
Sep 7, 2007, 07:06 AM
I just sent this letter to steve jobs, I'm sure he won't read it but I sent it anyway.

Here it is:

Dear Steve,

I am a university student, and the new iPod touch is perfect for my needs and I'm sure a lot of other students. With the widescreen display and internet capabilities, we can watch movies between classes or on commute and check myspace around campus.

I think this could be the ultimate entertainment device for students, however there are a few small things that could be improved to make it the true entertainment and education device we have been waiting for.

1. Voice Recording: I currently use my macbook to record lectures, I would love to be able to simply use my ipod to do this. I realise the touch does not have a microphone which is a shame, but I and many others would love to see this in a future device.

2. Mail, Notes apps: These two are very important for a student, with these I can do away with my diary and I'm disappointed they aren't included in the touch as I see no reason for their exclusion.

3. Bluetooth: It would be great to use wireless headphones, or even better, transfer documents for viewing on the ipod. Many of us write lecture notes and like to read over them on commute or in bed. Having some word documents on our ipod would be perfect, and bluetoooth file transfer would make this easy to do.

4. Games: The multi-touch screen is perfect for some innovative games, and I'm sure you know how much student love to procrastinate. This is a must!

That's it. I realise storage capacity is out of your control until prices drop and I'm fine by this. I think with these inclusions, the iPod touch would truly be the ultimate device we are looking for.

Uh, so you want an iPhone?

redoxinbzz
Sep 7, 2007, 07:09 AM
You are lookin at this the wrong way. This si a WORLDWIDE product not like the iPhone. The iPhone is cool in the states for those who can buy it with ATT, but for those who live in Europe or any other place this is going to be huge. I mean this is the closest i will ever get to a touch screen apple product. The iPhone hasn't even got to Europe not to mention the time it will take to come here where i live in Romania, so i freekin love the iPod touch and every person that wants to play with that awsome touch screen will agree with me.
The iPod classic is cool to but lets say you get the 80gb version. How big is your harddrive, lets say you have a 120gb harddrive. are you going to fill 80gb of it with music and videos(not to mention the 160gb iPod)?? I don't think so... I had a 2gb iPod nano and i sold that waiting for the touch to come out. I have a tiny 40gb hdd on my laptop, i will be upgrading to the 80gb or 120gb but i'm certanly not going to be filling it up with music and videos just so i can have it on my iPod.
Furthermore whats the point of having tons of videos on your iPod if the screen is still small like the last iPod? My music collection has like 6gb max and if i will be getting the 16gb iPod touch 10gb will be enough space for some video podcasts and a movie or 2.
I read that this isn't a sports product, well i disagre, the iPod classic i see because it's hdd based and you can break it easyle, but the touch is flash based, and if you get an armband for it like i saw for the iPhone it's going to be great for running and stuff.
And finaly who doesn't want wifi internet and applications that you can hack in the iPod. I mean i saw a guy with a hacked iPhone and sayd f00k that does the same things i do with my laptop.
Apple did a great job with this product because it's not just for the states but worldwide.

krose0307
Sep 7, 2007, 07:16 AM
I went to my parents' house yesterday and my 45 year old mother told me that she is planning on pre-ordering an iPod touch! Before this came out she didn't even want to pay for a nano... she took an extra free one from my brother when he went to school. I think people are really underestimating the appeal of a device this awesome.

WannaGoMac
Sep 7, 2007, 07:17 AM
You are lookin at this the wrong way. This si a WORLDWIDE product not like the iPhone. The iPhone is cool in the states for those who can buy it with ATT, but for those who live in Europe or any other place this is going to be huge. I mean this is the closest i will ever get to a touch screen apple product. The iPhone hasn't even got to Europe not to mention the time it will take to come here where i live in Romania, so i freekin love the iPod touch and every person that wants to play with that awsome touch screen will agree with me.
The iPod classic is cool to but lets say you get the 80gb version. How big is your harddrive, lets say you have a 120gb harddrive. are you going to fill 80gb of it with music and videos(not to mention the 160gb iPod)?? I don't think so... I had a 2gb iPod nano and i sold that waiting for the touch to come out. I have a tiny 40gb hdd on my laptop, i will be upgrading to the 80gb or 120gb but i'm certanly not going to be filling it up with music and videos just so i can have it on my iPod.
Furthermore whats the point of having tons of videos on your iPod if the screen is still small like the last iPod? My music collection has like 6gb max and if i will be getting the 16gb iPod touch 10gb will be enough space for some video podcasts and a movie or 2.
I read that this isn't a sports product, well i disagre, the iPod classic i see because it's hdd based and you can break it easyle, but the touch is flash based, and if you get an armband for it like i saw for the iPhone it's going to be great for running and stuff.
And finaly who doesn't want wifi internet and applications that you can hack in the iPod. I mean i saw a guy with a hacked iPhone and sayd f00k that does the same things i do with my laptop.
Apple did a great job with this product because it's not just for the states but worldwide.

Isn't the iPhone coming to europe next?

redoxinbzz
Sep 7, 2007, 07:22 AM
I don't know if it is, even if it is... I have a cellphone a pritty samsung x820 that i just want to talk on and send sms, not listen to music or view videos.
Not to mention the fac that i think 8gb of storage is kind of small for me i mean, if they made the iPhone with 16gb ok, but 8gb just doesn't give me that inssurance that if i wan't to put in a new album or movie i wouldn't have space. The 16gb is pleanty for both.

Steve didn't say that the iPhone is going worldwide just that is getting cheaper.

milo
Sep 7, 2007, 07:24 AM
Actually, for the car I would prefer a new "iPod cheap ass" that doesn't have any fancy screen and almost no battery life (because power is supplied by the car), at the lowest possible price :rolleyes: A 4GB memory stick which I can get for <£18 would do almost as well, except that the car plays only MP3 and no AAC.

Sounds just like a nano. Are the new ones compatible with car hookups? If the classic is, seems like the nano has the exact same functionality.

clintanson
Sep 7, 2007, 07:26 AM
No-one is talking about Wi-Fi being used for Wireless Headphones......can this be done???

Bluetooth???

milo
Sep 7, 2007, 07:27 AM
Steve didn't say that the iPhone is going worldwide just that is getting cheaper.

Yes he did, just not at this last event. Apple says 4th quarter for europe, and other markets next year.

redoxinbzz
Sep 7, 2007, 07:27 AM
No-one is talking about Wi-Fi being used for Wireless Headphones......can this be done???

Don't know but they hacked the iPhone to death i think the same thing will happen to the touch and make wireless work with anything, but will just have to wait and see.

clintanson
Sep 7, 2007, 07:31 AM
yeah...I think Wireless Headphones with an iPod Touch would be pimp!

redoxinbzz
Sep 7, 2007, 07:34 AM
Yes he did, just not at this last event. Apple says 4th quarter for europe, and other markets next year.

Ok so it's coming to europe sooner or later. I still like the iPod because of the 16gb model, man this depends on the person and what you do with it, if you need like huge storage data and have tons of music that you listen to get the classic. If you wan't to get rid of your phone and get the new iPhone cool but think about the storage and think about the fact that a phone wich you use just for calling and sms is going to hold a battery longer than an iPhone wich you'll use for calling sms AND iPod and internet AND not to mention camera.

i0Nic
Sep 7, 2007, 07:37 AM
Uh, so you want an iPhone?

I would love to have an iPhone, if...
A) it was available in Australia (probably not till March 08 at earliest)
B) I wasn't on a phone contract for another 15 months
C) it will be available on my current carrier, which is uncertain
D) it actually did those things, like bluetooth file transfer.

There's no reason for some of those things not to be on the iPod touch. Anyways, the touch is still a great player and will tide me over until my phone contract runs out. It will surely be hacked so some of the apps will be ported over, and I can live without the blueooth and voice recording, but I would like those features added to upcoming models of the iPhone and iPod touch.

chas0001
Sep 7, 2007, 07:37 AM
Im getting the iPod Touch because I am addicted to Apple products :eek:. That and because the iPhone is not available in Spain and probably wont be for quite some time.

awmazz
Sep 7, 2007, 07:39 AM

;)

Me too. Your exact words.

I've been a Mac person since year dot, but I'm not a music person at all so I've never bought or owned an iPod or ever even been slightly interested in having one. Until now. I don't see the iPod Touch as an mp3 music player. I see it as a Newton 3100. A Mac PDA. The wifi and PDA aspect is what I like and I can see its expansion capabilities in that regard, so I have just ordered one.

Gilfanon
Sep 7, 2007, 09:04 AM

Europe in Steve's terms currently seems to mean the UK, France, Germany and (if I remember correctly) Italy/Spain? There are a lot more countries than that in Europe, like Romania for example, where the poster said he was from. I suspect it'll be a while before they get the iPhone, so the Touch is a perfect filler.

Personally I'll be getting one, as well as an iPhone when we finally get it. This is because:
a) its beautiful (lets face it, most of us buy Apple on design aesthetic grounds. Saying "you're wrong to want it just because it looks cool" is like punching the Pope on the nose for being Catholic),
b) Wifi will be nice at home when I can't be bothered climbing 3 flights of stairs to get to my computer room, or can't be bothered getting my laptop out to check my webmail over a cup of coffee (I salute Apple for providing tech solutions to the chronically lazy),
c) Physically idle I may be, but I'm not too lazy to move my films/music on and off a device once or twice a month if space constraints demand it- 16gigs should be plenty with a bit of management (how many times a year do you need to listen to your old Bros albums anyway?)
d) I've managed to destroy every hard-drive based piece of portable technology I've owned through ham-fisted clumsiness. Give me a flash-based player any day, particularly for gym use.

Honestly though, point a) is the only one needed to establish a market for this thing, I'd be less worried about the demand and more worried about the supply if I was SJ...

jacktiernan
Sep 9, 2007, 09:15 PM
ummmmmmm........ ME! :D

I live in australia, we dont have iphone, i want a touchscreen ipod and i only have about 8-9gb of music that i actually listen to, plus 20 or 30 tv shows.

PURRRRRRFECT for me!

(So i bought one)

dustboy
Sep 9, 2007, 09:45 PM
im in the market. i wanted an iphone, couldnt get it cause i have to have verizon.

yep, to hell with at&t. I work construction, and if I had an iPhone in my pocket, it would be destroyed in a week. I think the touch is exactly what I was waiting for, I'm hoping to use it as much for a PDA as anything.

m-dogg
Sep 9, 2007, 10:11 PM
Just ordered my 16 GB this morning.

Safari/wi-fi was the big feature for me. Being able to access the internet when traveling (i.e., at night in my hotel room) without having to bring my laptop along. Particularly on those one-night business or ski trips I frequently go on.

I will also load a lot of pictures on it since the bigger screen is better for viewing/sharing pics with others.

Video is ok to have, but honestly don't care that much about it. I'd rather save that storage space for my pics and music. Which leads to my final comment:

I do wish it had a hard drive with that 160 GB drive that's going into the classic (I don't care if it would make it thicker). If they didn't release the touch at the same time, I would have bought the 160 GB classic...but the wi-fi won me over!

Oh - I also love my Verizon cell service, so while I love the iPhone, I am hesitant to switch to at&t when my contract ends next year.

BiikeMike
Sep 9, 2007, 10:42 PM
I'll throw in one for that is in the market for the iPod touch.

I travel, A LOT, for business. I spend countless hours in airports and on airplanes, and having the wireless in airports to be able to geek out and browse macrumors and all the other forums I frequent is a major plus. Start the boarding process, load up a movie, and I have a big beautiful display to watch it on.

What I do now is pull out my MBP in the airport for the internet, then pack it up and pull out my 5.5gen iPod to watch videos on, and after a long flight, that hurts my eyes.

Now, I get to my business trip location. I am an avid Mountain biker (who would've guessed that?) and I like to try and stay in shape on the road. People keep saying the iPod nano is ultimate gym-pod, I disagree. With the touch, I'll be able to listen to my music whilst doing weights, and when I switch to the machines, (elliptical, bike, etc) I can watch House :D

Now, fast forward to the next day. Business meeting in hotel. There is WiFi in every hotel now, so I can get on the 'net during breaks in the meetings. (OK, who am I kidding, DURING the meetings :D)

Get back to the airport, repeat :)

Can an iPhone do all this? sure can, but I am locked into my VZW Blackberry

ddrueckhammer
Sep 10, 2007, 01:14 AM
I'm a college student, and I don't know if I'm typical, but the iPod Touch is so sweet to me. I'm in love with my 2nd Gen Red Nano ,but I am going to get a Touch for my girlfriend, as she always likes to 1up me in the technology department and her 1st gen Pink Mini is starting to get sad.

If you don't have Wifi everywhere then I imagine you aren't in a city. There are tons of Wifi hotspots here in Tampa. Half of the hotels and restaurants have it and the university, downtown area, airport etc. all have large areas of 802.11g reception. I mean c'mon, Starbucks are on every corner on and off campus and they all have Wifi access... I see tons of students in my classes browsing the web while the professors lecture. Personally, I find taking notes a bit of a waste of time since the material is covered too fast to learn it while copying and (at least my classes) aren't memorization based. The internet on the iPod touch is completely useful to me when traveling (airports, hotels, etc.), at school (almost all universities have it), and even on the couch as laptops are a bit bulky to have out while watching the game...

As far as storage, I don't think I would ever need more than 15 Gb with me at one time anyway. I just looked and I have 12 movies ripped into iTunes so far and they are all around 800-1200 Mb, MPEG-4/H.264, 720x340...I ripped them with default setting in Handbrake from discs I own thinking I might want to stream them to our TV using an Apple TV or Xbox 360. This means my girlfriend can carry 5 movies or so and 10 Gb of music with her at one time. (and if I optimize movies to fit the iPod Touch screen, I can shave a few Mb off of the filesize...) We don't have huge music libraries ( I have 25 Gb and she has 30) but really there is alot of stuff I don't really care about listening to because I just ripped entire CDs and there are songs I don't like in there. Also, I doubt if I or my girlfriend will ever listen to more than a few thousand songs in a day anyway :rolleyes: Its not that big of a deal to change the music out when you get tired of it.

Finally, there are tons of people who like us who are happy with their current carrier and don't want to do business with AT&T. I am happy with T-Mobile and have used all of the carriers at one time or another and don't want to have to switch just to get an iPhone. My girlfriend and I use Gmail so who cares about the email we can get to it from a browser.

Also, I think it is kind of rude to get a gift for someone that requires a subscription. iPod Touches will make much better Christmas gifts than iPhones...

The one thing I think would make this the killer app for college students is texting, but since it isn't a communications device maybe someone will come out with a browser based web 2.0 solution.

Evangelion
Sep 10, 2007, 03:08 AM
I just don't get who is the market for an iPod touch? With only 8gb/16gb of space, wouldn't most people prefer a nano as their "walkman" since it is cheaper?

Touch has bigger screen, superior UI and more features. And I have a gut-feeling that touch will be expanded with new features in the future, whereas Nano will not be.

What if you are not planning to use it then? And why couldn®t I just hit shuffle, and not touch the device at all while working out?

I'm planning to buy the touch just about as soon as it becomes available. Why? It fits my entire music-library with ease. It has more than enough space for video and watching those videos on that big screen is a lot better than watching them on a smaller screen. It also has WiFi, so it can replace my Nokia 770 as my portable internet-device. And I feel that touch is a lot more versatile device than nano is, making it a better fit for my future needs.

Evangelion
Sep 10, 2007, 03:12 AM
without a phone to provide internet service 100%, this is just a cute gadget and not a must-have.

All iPods are just gadgets, and not "must-have"....

Why shouldn't I get the touch? Suggestions anyone?

Mr. B
Sep 10, 2007, 03:57 AM
I just have to chime in here.

I'm a college student and the ipod touch really is *exactly* what I'm looking for. Sorry Unspeaked, you really don't know the college student mindset.

First off, I want the absolute cheapest cell phone I can get. I want one that does *nothing* besides allow me to call someone and send a few texts. I want it to be small, and I want it to be cheap. Thus, the iphone is not for me.

But! I really really want a nice portable internet browser with a beautiful screen...

the largest ipod I've ever had was the fifteen gigabyte one and I never even used its full capacity, and I am currently using the old school shuffle since my old ipod broke down.

I live in New York so there are hotspots *everywhere* and most parks have free wifi. Also my campus has free wifi.

This means I'll have almost continuous access to the internet wherever I am, I can store my entire music collection on it, and it's so sleek and small that I don't have to worry about it weighing me down like my ibook would.

And so, the answer is simple, seriously, the ipod touch is like a college students wet dream.

fafner
Sep 10, 2007, 04:26 AM
We now have a complete new device, that can be used for an array of interesting things. Not just now but applications will come.

HOME
Here I think we will have many nice applications in the future:
- As a media extender browse your music collection via cover flow, stream from an iTunes server.
- As a remote control for media (lightning, DVR, TV, cinema with video and audio preview) can navigate between different types of media, controll your apple tv etc.

ON THE GO
This has been explained in various posts above, so I will not go into this.

BUISNESS
- Reading mail on meetings
- Surfing
- Awareness and informal communication device (chat, forums, conferencing etc).

WHY 16G is enough for me
And regarding the storage capacity, my JPEg photos is about 4G, I have about 4G of music 2G of books and then place for 4G of movies (about 5 movies at good quality) and still 2G over...

If I travel longer than that I always bring a laptop.

Evangelion
Sep 10, 2007, 06:07 AM
And think about this: touch provides top-notch web-browsing experience. It also provides best-of-breed mediaplayback. It weights 120g and comes with 8-16GB of flash. And it does all that for 300-400 bucks.

Now, on the other hand we have Nokia N800 Internet Tablet. It too offers great web-browsing experience, mostly due to the large-resolution screen. But it's mediaplayback is not that good, and it ships with 256MB of flash, and it weights about 200g, and it's UI is not as refined as touch's. And it costs 400 bucks.

Granted, N800 is an open device with lots of apps. But still: looking at the two, the touch is NOT a bad deal, far far from it. In fact, I'm planning to use my upcoming touch as a replacement for Nokia 770 (N800's predecessor). If I want the functionality touch will give me, I would have to carry three devices with me: my phone, iPod and 770. With touch I need just two devices: phone and the iPod. And since I already carry iPod with me, alongside my phone, there's not change.

8bitrevolution
Sep 10, 2007, 02:24 PM

The "iPod ready" cars I've seen simply dock your iPod somewhere out of harm's way (center console or glove box) and then you control it through the stereo.

So why would having touch in the car matter?

nirvana06
Sep 10, 2007, 02:30 PM
WiFi is the key for me. Living in a city where wifi is everywhere, great to be always connected. If it did not have WiFi maybe i'd go for classic.

WannaGoMac
Sep 10, 2007, 02:51 PM
Interesting replies.

I still wonder how it will do as you guys represent a very tech oriented group who love Apple and it's gadgets and find this stuff exciting.

Guess time will tell.

BiikeMike
Sep 10, 2007, 04:29 PM
All iPods are just gadgets, and not "must-have"....

Why shouldn't I get the touch? Suggestions anyone?

Because the one you order might be just before the one I order, and they might run out right after you leaving mine on back order. That's why :)

ctakim
Sep 10, 2007, 10:06 PM
If you want a video iPod with a beautiful screen the touch at 16GB is just what you needed. I have a iPhone 8 gb and can carry a decent music library and 3 feature films (ripped from my legit DVDs by Handbrake). You do have to switch out the films and music for long trips, but hey, that is easy with iTunes.

The iPod nano is a great device, but the screen is way small and if movies are your main ticket, the touch/iPhone screen is the way to go.:)