PDA

View Full Version : Calculator app possible on iPodtouch?

katad
Sep 6, 2007, 10:00 PM
Is a calculator possible like in the iphone? just wondering....

ebel3003
Sep 6, 2007, 10:02 PM
Since the Touch SUPPOSEDLY uses the same applications as the iPhone, I imagine people will start developing methods to throw them in the Touch.

iLunar
Sep 6, 2007, 10:03 PM
I believe its already on there.

Jack Flash
Sep 6, 2007, 10:10 PM
The Calculator is already on the iPod Touch.

clevin
Sep 7, 2007, 08:54 AM
I feel sorry for this device, I want unlimited native 3rd party apps! and its a serious issue. begging apple for a simple app from time to time is NOT the right way to go for this device.

storage
Sep 7, 2007, 09:19 AM
I feel sorry for this device, I want unlimited native 3rd party apps! and its a serious issue. begging apple for a simple app from time to time is NOT the right way to go for this device.
I'm 99.9% sure it'll have third party applications within a week or two after it's released.

Although not from Apple, but from hackers.

clevin
Sep 7, 2007, 09:23 AM
I'm 99.9% sure it'll have third party applications within a week or two after it's released.

I agree, however, I think official support and toolkit would greatly encourage the developers and improve the quality and amount of available apps for end users :)

storage
Sep 7, 2007, 09:26 AM
I agree, however, I think official support and toolkit would greatly encourage the developers and improve the quality and amount of available apps for end users :)
Indeed :).

But aren't the frameworks for building "real" or "native" iPod touch applications already there? I'm not too familiar to OS X development, but wouldn't it be possible to just link to those frameworks? Isn't that also how they make iPhone applications?

clevin
Sep 7, 2007, 09:30 AM
Indeed :).

But aren't the frameworks for building "real" or "native" iPod touch applications already there? I'm not too familiar to OS X development, but wouldn't it be possible to just link to those frameworks? Isn't that also how they make iPhone applications?

Im not sure, I know Apple's "framework" for iphone is "web-based app", which, IMHO, is very limited in functionality, it basically is AJAX interactions on a webpage, these apps can not take any advantages of the hardware and OS. its even more useless on iPod Touch since its not like iPhone, who is 7/24 online.

I don't know if there is an underground hackers' framework, I would very much like one tho.:D

storage
Sep 7, 2007, 09:37 AM
Im not sure, I know Apple's "framework" for iphone is "web-based app", which, IMHO, is very limited in functionality, it basically is AJAX interactions on a webpage, these apps can not take any advantages of the hardware and OS. its even more useless on iPod Touch since its not like iPhone, who is 7/24 online.

I don't know if there is an underground hackers' framework, I would very much like one tho.:D
I'm not talking about the web development kit. I'm talking about Apple's development frameworks, which can be found in "/System/Library/Frameworks/" in OS X and probably on the iPhone/iPod touch.

As far as I know you link to these whenever you write OS X applications. They provide access to things like Cocoa, OpenGL, CoreImage and so on and so forth.

clevin
Sep 7, 2007, 10:03 AM
I'm not talking about the web development kit. I'm talking about Apple's development frameworks, which can be found in "/System/Library/Frameworks/" in OS X and probably on the iPhone/iPod touch.

As far as I know you link to these whenever you write OS X applications. They provide access to things like Cocoa, OpenGL, CoreImage and so on and so forth.

oh, understand. I wouldn't be surprised if its already available. for hackers, after all, there is a 500MB system in there.

milo
Sep 7, 2007, 02:01 PM

And can't simple apps like a calculator and other widget style things just be done with a web based app? For those sorts of things it would be great if pages could be saved locally on the device.