PDA

View Full Version : When do you think we'll see a 32GB iPod Touch?

MVallee
Sep 7, 2007, 12:17 AM
I'm just curious because I do need a new iPod (my 30GB 5g is getting kinda beat up) but I don't want the iPod classic, I want the cool new touch one. I have 12.3GB of audio on my iPod now so 16GB wouldn't leave much room for video/new music.

I know nobody knows anything forsure but I'm looking for an opinion. Should I hold off for a 32GB or is that never coming and should I settle on the 16GB one?

screensaver400
Sep 7, 2007, 12:22 AM
I wouldn't expect it for at least 6 months, and probably more like a year.

siurpeeman
Sep 7, 2007, 12:23 AM
i think we'll see 32 gb ipod touch models in a year. just a guess, though.

clevin
Sep 7, 2007, 08:51 AM
if current Touch has SD slot, users can update capacity anytime, would be much more attractive.

if apple just won't make this thing right as a PDA, might just sell it for $199 with 2GB, as an internet device.

teleromeo
Sep 7, 2007, 08:56 AM
... January ... Keynote ... one more thing ...

sushi
Sep 7, 2007, 08:59 AM
By next fall at the latest.

jsw
Sep 7, 2007, 09:05 AM
if current Touch has SD slot, users can update capacity anytime, would be much more attractive.

if apple just won't make this thing right as a PDA, might just sell it for $199 with 2GB, as an internet device.You clearly don't understand the iPod market. 8GB nano's were selling at $249. I'm pretty sure Apple won't have a problem selling 8GB iPods at $299 with a large tough screen and wireless. :rolleyes:
... January ... Keynote ... one more thing ...A 16GB upgrade isn't worthy of a "one more thing". I'm guessing we'll see 32GB by spring. Whenever it shows up, the forum will be crowded with people whining about how they just bought the 16GB one 15 days ago.

clevin
Sep 7, 2007, 09:09 AM
You clearly don't understand the iPod market. 8GB nano's were selling at $249. I'm pretty sure Apple won't have a problem selling 8GB iPods at $299 with a large tough screen and wireless. :rolleyes:

lol, of course I don't (I listen to radio more than music, my videos are not in H.264, most of the 200GB videos, iPod is absolutely useless to me), I 100% expect this as a PDA(which I think I have good reason for that view), all my comments are from POV of a PDA user (which I would spend money on).

Of course many people buy it as an iPod, but its really has more potential to be a successful PDA than a successful iPod.

jsw
Sep 7, 2007, 09:14 AM
Of course many people buy it as an iPod, but its really has more potential to be a successful PDA than a successful iPod.You might want to look at the Nokia N800 (http://www.nseries.com/index.html#l=products,n800,demo), or the cheaper 770, then. :)

They seem to be more of what you want.

clevin
Sep 7, 2007, 09:16 AM
You might want to look at the Nokia N800 (http://www.nseries.com/index.html#l=products,n800,demo), or the cheaper 770, then. :)

They seem to be more of what you want.

thanks for the info.

I guess we will wait and see how apple will develop this Touch. No matter what you or me would think it is.

sushi
Sep 7, 2007, 09:58 AM
... January ... Keynote ... one more thing ...
Don't see this happening. An increase in memory isn't enough for this.

Whenever it shows up, the forum will be crowded with people whining about how they just bought the 16GB one 15 days ago.
Isn't that the truth! :eek:

transitman
Sep 7, 2007, 01:40 PM
lol, of course I don't (I listen to radio more than music, my videos are not in H.264, most of the 200GB videos, iPod is absolutely useless to me), I 100% expect this as a PDA(which I think I have good reason for that view), all my comments are from POV of a PDA user (which I would spend money on).

Of course many people buy it as an iPod, but its really has more potential to be a successful PDA than a successful iPod.

I agree. I want a PDA that is native Mac OS. This needs to be the direction they go. The problem is that the iPod has made Apple so successful, I think that they think thwy will make more money on anything iPod.

bloodycape
Sep 7, 2007, 02:02 PM
I really don't know why Apple is denying us the joy of an SDHC slot, where can get a 32gig sd card(at a high price) and get a 48gig iPod touch. I guess I may have to go for the Archos 605 wifi with the 4gig flash and SDHC slot(or the 160gig). Only down side there would be I would have to purchase some codec and screen would not be as clean, then again UMS and more codec support is what I like damn.

~Shard~
Sep 7, 2007, 02:05 PM
Not until we see a 16GB iPhone at least. ;)

32GB flash memory is still at a bit of a price premium, I'd say you won't see it until mid-2008.

TranceNW
Sep 7, 2007, 02:30 PM
Im gonna say a year too

anastasis
Sep 7, 2007, 04:23 PM
Or how about a BYO iPod that has a removable slot for up to four SD cards!!!! It comes with just the ROM for the OS!
:p

~Shard~
Sep 7, 2007, 04:24 PM
Or how about a BYO iPod that has a removable slot for up to four SD cards!!!! It comes with just the ROM for the OS!
:p

I don't think Apple would do this as it might hurt sales in the long term (i.e. consumers buying larger flash cards as opposed to new iPods) but I personally wouldn't mind it at all... ;) :cool:

kevinbal
Sep 7, 2007, 05:11 PM
It is going to really depend on how much Apple is able to single handily drive the flash market down like it already has. The only reason we are able to see 16 GB inside of the Touch is the sheer volume of 8s moved from the Nano and the iPhones.

If the 16 GB Touch models are as successful as one would hope, then hopefully we'll see that in turn drive down the prices even more.

However, any chance of Apple being able to correct its line as quick as it did with the iPhone are gone.... people moan and groan about how slow Apple is to refresh lines or update pricing... and hell, look what happened when they did react to the drastically falling rates of flash memory, they got pounded for it.

We won't see a 32 GB version any time before 08. My guess, now, based on the iPhone backlash would be the Spring, not even Macworld keynote.

clevin
Sep 7, 2007, 09:06 PM
i took a 2nd look at NOKIA N800/770, and it looks pretty decent. SD slot support up to 8G card. Linux OS, plenty of 3rd party free apps. Full featured Opera browser, 800x400 res. play all type of music, video. touch screen

Only cons is slow CPU. ALso the design can't compete with apple.

So its another functionality vs. design.. why can't they learn from each other and deliver a perfect product?

MVallee
Sep 7, 2007, 11:43 PM
I can wait until spring. But waiting a whole year while drooling over the iPod touch in the Apple Store would be brutal.

The more I look at it the more i want it. But the more i look at my vast music collection, the more i realize that 16GB won't cut it.

They need to bridge the gap in the iPod line. It jumps from 16GB to 80GB.

Zwhaler
Sep 8, 2007, 12:41 AM
Probably not for awhile, because we are definitely not getting a 32gb iTouch before we get a 16 gig iPhone, and even then we probably wont have the 16 gig iPhone for several more months. My guess is we'll get it at the next revision in approx a year from now.

macfanboy
Sep 8, 2007, 12:50 AM
32gb ssd cards from samsung and other companys are about 500$

pic to prove:

bloodycape
Sep 8, 2007, 01:45 AM
i took a 2nd look at NOKIA N800/770, and it looks pretty decent. SD slot support up to 8G card. Linux OS, plenty of 3rd party free apps. Full featured Opera browser, 800x400 res. play all type of music, video. touch screen

So its another functionality vs. design.. why can't they learn from each other and deliver a perfect product?

Just look at the 4gig Archos 506 WiFi, which has support for SDHC, and uses Opera(for a small fee). I have seen go for at least $190 on Amazon, so yeah.

wumbo6
Sep 8, 2007, 01:50 AM
do you guys think someone can put a bigger flash drive into a 16gb touch? can they do that with the normal ipods?

John Jacob
Sep 8, 2007, 02:07 AM
32GB in 12 months. 64GB in 24 months.

bloodycape
Sep 8, 2007, 02:19 AM
do you guys think someone can put a bigger flash drive into a 16gb touch? can they do that with the normal ipods?

With a product like the ipod mini you can, as CF cards and the MicroHD of the mini use the same connector, so you can have a 16gig ipod mini that uses less battery. I think this mod also works on the 5gig and 10gig(15gig?) ipod's also. However, with the Nano and Touch that would be more of a harder thing to do as they are flash chips.

imacdaddy
Sep 8, 2007, 02:28 AM
I would say in Q4 08, around this time before the holidays.

chillywilly
Dec 23, 2007, 04:25 PM
I agree with most of the posters on seeing a 32gb iPod touch at least a year from when it was released (would would have been October 2007).

As much as I like the touch, I'm thinking I need to wait for the 32gb version, which would replace my current 5G 30gb iPod video.

$400 for something that doesn't hold as much as my current iPod is something I can wait longer for.

bloodycape
Dec 24, 2007, 03:45 AM

There is the newer model that is similar to the 800 but comes with a slide out keyboard. Nice thing about the Nokia is you get Palm emulation support for PDA functions.

m-dogg
Dec 24, 2007, 05:53 AM
I can wait until spring. But waiting a whole year while drooling over the iPod touch in the Apple Store would be brutal.

The more I look at it the more i want it. But the more i look at my vast music collection, the more i realize that 16GB won't cut it.

They need to bridge the gap in the iPod line. It jumps from 16GB to 80GB.

I think it'll be in the fall, not spring. Fall is when Apple tends to refresh their iPod line. Not to say they definitely won't update it sooner than that, just that realistically it may not occur until September or so...

mrgreen4242
Dec 24, 2007, 09:27 AM
I agree with most of the posters on seeing a 32gb iPod touch at least a year from when it was released (would would have been October 2007).

As much as I like the touch, I'm thinking I need to wait for the 32gb version, which would replace my current 5G 30gb iPod video.

$400 for something that doesn't hold as much as my current iPod is something I can wait longer for.

Think of it more like $250 for a 16gb iPod and $150 for a portable internet portal/PDA that both happen to be in the same casing and it seems like a better deal.

I'm planning to replace my 30gb video with a 16gb touch (unless I break down and get an iPhone, which is more and more unlikely as time goes on) and th capacity drop doesn't really even cross my min, as my iPod before the video was a 4gb nano, so I learned how to use smart playlists to make sure the "right" music is handy. It's not that hard once you put a few minutes into creating the playlists.

Padraig
Dec 24, 2007, 11:10 AM
Creative's Zen is now shipping with 32GB capacity. Price - $349.99.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/19/creatives-32gb-zen-finally-on-sale/#comments

As for the touch, i'd say September.

mrgreen4242
Dec 24, 2007, 11:56 AM
Creative's Zen is now shipping with 32GB capacity. Price - $349.99.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/19/creatives-32gb-zen-finally-on-sale/#comments

As for the touch, i'd say September.

I wonder if they're using 4x8gb chips or 2x16gb chips... the touch, unless they redesign it, would need 2x16gb. Anyways, it'll be after the Back to School promo.

Now, I read an interesting rumor that the iPhone will be getting a 16gb version at MW08... I'm assuming that it'll be $499, so will just tack onto the top end of the iPod/iPhone line, but it'll be interesting to see what happens.

JohnMC
Dec 24, 2007, 12:19 PM
Apple has a history of updating iPod's once a year in time for the holidays. IMO, Apple will only update the iPod Touch once the iPhone is at least 16GB AND they have another update ready for September/October 2008. If the 16Gb iPhone is announced at Macworld, they will need to get FCC approval meaning an June launch again. Being 64GB chips will not be available by fall 2008 the Holiday update will be a 32GB iPod Touch in the Sept./Oct. timeframe, Apple has to do something to get people to put them under the tree.

JohnMC

macbattle
Dec 24, 2007, 04:58 PM
I wonder if they're using 4x8gb chips or 2x16gb chips... the touch, unless they redesign it, would need 2x16gb. Anyways, it'll be after the Back to School promo.

Now, I read an interesting rumor that the iPhone will be getting a 16gb version at MW08... I'm assuming that it'll be $499, so will just tack onto the top end of the iPod/iPhone line, but it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Two 16gb. But this news is 3 weeks old almost. Shame the Nano maxes out at 8gb, while ever other company has either 16gb, 8gb with some form of SD expansion or in Creatives case some form of all the above and a 32gb model with SD expansion. Shame if Apple goes to 32gb in Sept, we might see competitors doing 32gb and 8gb(i.e. 40gb) all the way to 32gb and 32gb(i.e. 64gb) in one device.

chillywilly
Dec 26, 2007, 10:35 AM
...so I learned how to use smart playlists to make sure the "right" music is handy. It's not that hard once you put a few minutes into creating the playlists.

Yeah, I've been putting a lot of my songs into both regular and smart playlists for my 4g nano (blue 2G), so I'm part of the way there.

I ended up getting my finace a 16gb iPod touch for christmas, so I'll get some time to play around with some playlists for her.

From most of the comments, I think it's going to be September 2008 before we see any changes to the touch, unless they do an update to add things like email and other software.

chillywilly
Dec 26, 2007, 10:37 AM
Apple has a history of updating iPod's once a year in time for the holidays. IMO, Apple will only update the iPod Touch once the iPhone is at least 16GB AND they have another update ready for September/October 2008.

I think you may be right on this one, due to Apple not wanting to leap frog the touch over the iPhone. Although, the iPhone was only at 4gb/8gb when the 8gb/16gb touch came out.