PDA

View Full Version : iTunes 7.4.1 Update Released

seashellz
Sep 7, 2007, 10:01 PM
x

drater
Sep 7, 2007, 10:02 PM
Just got the message for 7.4.1, anyone else get this yet? Is this new? did I miss something?

FJ218700
Sep 7, 2007, 10:03 PM
hope it fixes the GD PPC cover-flow issue

what's up with these next-day updates recently?

siurpeeman
Sep 7, 2007, 10:05 PM
the update removes the ringtone hack. download at your own risk.

Bernie-Mac
Sep 7, 2007, 10:06 PM
uh-oh i guess they addressed the free ringtones faster than we though... did you download it? Does it do anything?

jt2ga65
Sep 7, 2007, 10:08 PM
geez. I just installed 7.4 yesterday.

I bet this is to address the problems that people were having with syncing after installing 7.4, although I don't recall having any problems yesterday.

-jt2

drater
Sep 7, 2007, 10:11 PM
uh-oh i guess they addressed the free ringtones faster than we though... did you download it? Does it do anything?

i haven't tested it yet, but I am going to use iToner in a few minutes (once my buddy stops playing with my iPhone ::smack::)) Will let you guys know about that.

Bernie-Mac
Sep 7, 2007, 10:12 PM
I was more concerned with the free ringtone "hack" through itunes but yeah tell us your results

Yep, iTunes 7.4.1 breaks the custom ringtones. Funny how they can get a "fix" out for this in less than 24 hours eh? :rolleyes:

From itoner or the free ones you can do yourself through itunes

Lancetx
Sep 7, 2007, 10:13 PM
Yep, iTunes 7.4.1 breaks the custom ringtones. Funny how they can get a "fix" out for this in less than 24 hours eh? :rolleyes:

Wyvernspirit
Sep 7, 2007, 10:14 PM
Yep, iTunes 7.4.1 breaks the custom ringtones. :rolleyes:

Does 7.4.1 break iToner 1.0.1?

PJF13
Sep 7, 2007, 10:16 PM
WOW that was fast on Apple's part...

Canuck4
Sep 7, 2007, 10:16 PM
Lol :D
Figures, someone must got their ass chewed over that :D

drater
Sep 7, 2007, 10:17 PM
Yep, iTunes 7.4.1 breaks the custom ringtones. Funny how they can get a fix out for this in less than 24 hours eh? :rolleyes:

ouch, that is a hard blow to us little poor people. When are we going to be able to buy them? anyone know?

Also, iToner seems to work fine. I sync'd my iPhone, then sync'd it with iToner, unplugged the iPhone, plugged it back in, and sync'd with iTunes. Took it off the charger and the ringtones are still there. So far so good.

swindmill
Sep 7, 2007, 10:19 PM
So, it sounds like we should avoid updating for now, if we want to enjoy the free ringtones for the time being.

The General
Sep 7, 2007, 10:19 PM
Hmm ... whatever. I didn't like how it named the ringtones anyway.

Wyvernspirit
Sep 7, 2007, 10:20 PM
ouch, that is a hard blow to us little poor people. When are we going to be able to buy them? anyone know?

Also, iToner seems to work fine. I sync'd my iPhone, then sync'd it with iToner, unplugged the iPhone, plugged it back in, and sync'd with iTunes. Took it off the charger and the ringtones are still there. So far so good.

This is with 7.4.1? Thats cool.

Bernie-Mac
Sep 7, 2007, 10:21 PM

the free ringtoe thing doesnt work now? :(

The General
Sep 7, 2007, 10:21 PM
the free ringtoe thing doesnt work now?

Apparently not. SFTP still works, though. :D

I don't feel like restoring my phone and starting all over to see if the AppTapp installer works with 7.4.1.

Bernie-Mac
Sep 7, 2007, 10:22 PM
lol does it delete the ones you had on there already?

drater

that's an easy fix. I'd just copy the ringtone to my desktop, change the name, and drag it into iToner. Not a whole lot of work. Hopefully they don't go after iToner next, but I'm sure they will.

ghall
Ahhh! This is like the week of iPhone craziness, and of course it has to be the week I'm waiting for my own iPhone to be delivered. Thanks for ruining the fun Apple!

Well, 99¢ is pretty reasonable for a ringtone, considering that they're almost $4 each for my current phone. Still, Apple shouldn't come and ruin the fun. :(

The General
Sep 7, 2007, 10:25 PM
that's an easy fix. I'd just copy the ringtone to my desktop, change the name, and drag it into iToner. Not a whole lot of work. Hopefully they don't go after iToner next, but I'm sure they will.

iTunes gets the name info out of the ID3 tags. No matter what you change the filename it, it will always show up as the song title in the ID3 tags. I didn't like that. I also don't like using payware like iToner. I will continue dragging ringtones over with SFTP.

Well, 99 is pretty reasonable for a ringtone, considering that they're almost $4 each for my current phone. Still, Apple shouldn't come and ruin the fun. :(

No it's not. I can play music through the speaker on my phone for free. Why does it cost $.99 to make it play that music when the phone rings? What is the difference?!?! Ringtones should be free.

If I'm in a band and I record a song, I should be able to do whatever I want with it. It's my song. Why won't Apple let me set it as a ringtone? It's total BS.

ravenvii
Sep 7, 2007, 10:27 PM
WHOA, am I tripping, or did I see closed captioning as one of the new features of iTunes 7.4?!

About time!!!

Canuck4
Sep 7, 2007, 10:28 PM
We got shafted again pretty much :D

drater
Sep 7, 2007, 10:30 PM
iTunes gets the name info out of the ID3 tags. No matter what you change the filename it, it will always show up as the song title in the ID3 tags. I didn't like that. I also don't like using payware like iToner. I will continue dragging ringtones over with SFTP.

I was talking about using iToner, I think you might have miss understood me. I take the mp3 I want, drag it to my desk top, instead of being ctu24ringtone.mp3, I change it to ctu.mp3. When I put it in iToner and sync it up with my iPhone it works perfectly. I understand you don't like to use payware as you stated, I don't know why, but everyone is different, but you can try it for free. Its worth a try to see what I'm talking about. But that's up to you.

overanalyzer
Sep 7, 2007, 10:31 PM
yeah, I had just noticed 7.4.1 was out in su. was looking to see if anyone knew what changed since yesterday. m4r ringtones still working? haven't even had a chance to play with that yet....

update: well now that my post got merged into a more active thread I have my answer....

bluedoggiant
Sep 7, 2007, 10:32 PM
WHOA, am I tripping, or did I see closed captioning as one of the new features of iTunes 7.4?!

About time!!!

the new features arent great

The General
Sep 7, 2007, 10:33 PM
I was talking about using iToner, I think you might have miss understood me. I take the mp3 I want, drag it to my desk top, instead of being ctu24ringtone.mp3, I change it to ctu.mp3. When I put it in iToner and sync it up with my iPhone it works perfectly. I understand you don't like to use payware as you stated, I don't know why, but everyone is different, but you can try it for free. Its worth a try to see what I'm talking about. But that's up to you.

I didn't misunderstand anything. The thread is about iTunes. Obviously when I used the word "it" I was speaking of iTunes. I don't like how iTunes names the ringtones.

Bernie-Mac
Sep 7, 2007, 10:33 PM
I found a solution that i am going to use to my full advantage....dont download it lol

So where are all those people that said Apple did this on purpose?

Seriously, Apple didnt have to do this, they could have made the lawyers happy by charging but keeping their customers happy but leaving a small loophole open and i mean unless someone was going to sue them they never had to do anything about it

jecapaga
Sep 7, 2007, 10:36 PM
what timing...i *just* dl'd the new itunes at like 4:30, came home and put custom ringtones on via this method not more than 10 mins ago to see there is already a new version. grrr.:mad:

mcdj
Sep 7, 2007, 10:41 PM
Unbelievable. Apple is really acting out this week. In less than 24 hours they patch a hole that affects their bottom line, but here we are 2+ months into it and we're still waiting for a single user requested feature. C'mon Apple, throw us a bone. How about a stupid "delete all messages" button? Something, anything that doesn't require a wallet...

Canuck4
Sep 7, 2007, 10:42 PM
They would never do something like that on purpose, they want to make money not lose it:D

So where are all those people that said Apple did this on purpose?

Bernie-Mac
Sep 7, 2007, 10:44 PM
They would never do something like that on purpose, they want to make money not lose it:D

I know but on the post about this loophole a few people were like oh apple did this n purpose and stuff like that and i want to know where they are now and tell them how right they are

MacRumors
Sep 7, 2007, 10:45 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Now available via Software Update:With iTunes 7.4, sync your favorite music and more with the new iPod nano (third generation), iPod classic, and iPod touch, plus create custom ringtones exclusively for iPhone with many of your favorite songs purchased from the iTunes Store. You can now also play purchased videos with closed captioning (when available), easily rate your favorite albums from one to five stars, and watch videos at a larger size inside the iTunes window.
The update weighs in at 38.5MB and is also available for download at http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ No word yet on what effect this update may have on recent free ringtone developments. (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/09/07/free-custom-ringtones-in-itunes-7-4/)

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/07/itunes-7-4-1-update-released/)

puckhead193
Sep 7, 2007, 10:47 PM
yay, another download to take ten years on my crappy schools network :rolleyes:

Cleverboy
Sep 7, 2007, 10:48 PM
Apparently this update was released specifically to disable the recently uncovered non-iTMS ringtone syncing capability. I know I'm not upgrading. They'll need to have... oh, I don't know... something like an iPhone software update to unseat me and force me to accept the latest iTunes. :)Ok next time we discover a loophole in an itunes update we wont post it online...email it to eachother and keep it a secret ok? Check. But, here's the thing... if we all get really really angry about it, maybe Steve will give us more store credit. :D

~ CB

Cameront9
Sep 7, 2007, 10:50 PM

About time!!!

You are not tripping.

However, I have yet to find any video that IS closed captioned. :(

p0intblank
Sep 7, 2007, 10:51 PM
Well that was fast!

drater
Sep 7, 2007, 10:52 PM
Engadget is reporting that they have tested the free ringtone system and it still works http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/07/itunes-7-4-1-already-released-free-ringtone-workaround-is-ok/

hmm..i have an intel mac...im giving it a try...and if it doesnt work i guess ill just use itoner for 30 days...but idk it seems that they released this version specifically for the ringtone thing so i dont get how it could still work

as I posted earlier here, iToner still works. I've sync'd multiple times different ways to test it out. Still works.

Bernie-Mac
Sep 7, 2007, 10:54 PM
hmm..i have an intel mac...im giving it a try...and if it doesnt work i guess ill just use itoner for 30 days...but idk it seems that they released this version specifically for the ringtone thing so i dont get how it could still work

P-Worm
Sep 7, 2007, 10:58 PM

It's a bit like playing Russian Roulette, isn't it? :D

P-Worm

Me1000
Sep 7, 2007, 10:58 PM
I used the rename to m4r method, and now I get an error message saying it cant copy...

how do I remove the ringtone from iTunes?
deleting the file does nothing

miketcool
Sep 7, 2007, 10:59 PM
Closed Caption! Finally! I remember when Apple was more friendly to the disabled. Time to step that game up again.

amemoryoncelost
Sep 7, 2007, 10:59 PM
I just hope someone uploads 7.4 for all of us. Im on dialup and figured I would wait to download the 7.4 in a few days when I can take the ibook out and find some wifi. Looks like I waited too long. Either that or I'll wait for it to be on oldfiles.com or whatever it is. Damn updates.

Bernie-Mac
Sep 7, 2007, 11:00 PM
as I posted earlier here, iToner still works. I've sync'd multiple times different ways to test it out. Still works.

i know i was saying this itunes update was specifically for the free ringtones through itunes so i was wondering how it could still work for engadget

drater
Sep 7, 2007, 11:01 PM
i know i was saying this itunes update was specifically for the free ringtones through itunes so i was wondering how it could still work

ah, well you'd have to ask Moki about that one. But whatever they fixed today it still works. Only took them a day to fix. Not too shabby.

nickspohn
Sep 7, 2007, 11:03 PM
uploading 7.4 now for those of you that want it.

amemoryoncelost
Sep 7, 2007, 11:05 PM
uploading 7.4 now for those of you that want it.

thank you VERY much!

nickspohn
Sep 7, 2007, 11:07 PM
probaly just a cover up

jobs: we have to hurry and add some feature so people don't think we're upgrading itunes to change anything that our brilliant programmers forgot to leave out.

mrrydogg
Sep 7, 2007, 11:09 PM
You think they could of let us have some fun until the ringtone/iTunes mini store goes live next week. If they were gonna disable us anyway, what's the rush?

Does anyone know if their is a new iToner out yet that works on iTunes 7.4.1?

drater
Sep 7, 2007, 11:11 PM
probaly just a cover up

jobs: we have to hurry and add some feature so people don't think we're upgrading itunes to change anything that our brilliant programmers forgot to leave out.

hahahaha, I think the iPhone developers are like the iRaq government. "oh, they're expecting us to fix stuff by September? Pfffffft, I'm going on vacation."

But seriously, I would like some user friendly updates, not just a wifi store...something that won't cost me extra to use it. Please?! Hello? Apple? You there?

CoreWeb
Sep 7, 2007, 11:14 PM
I think there may have been a problem with the update as well... it didn't ask me to close iTunes before updating (and I forgot to). Though there were no ill effects, this seems odd.

I am wondering, does the free ringtone hack no longer work, or do songs already converted for the free ringtone hack no longer work? And has anyone tried now using a protected AAC file instead? (These would not work for me before, but perhaps all Apple did was put a requirement that the ringtones had to be protected)

I added ringtones to someone else's iPhone earlier today, but I don't want to upgrade their computer until I know that a) the free ringtones are gone for good or b) the free ringtones will work.

Theoretically (though highly unlikely), the ringtones may have stopped working by accident. Perhaps even a proper ringtone generated from iTunes (through the feature yet to be unlocked) would not work at this point. Not likely, but we don't know. And perhaps outrage over the "removal" of the feature/loophole will convince Apple to put it back in...

UPDATE: in addition, the whole thing may be more stringent requirements for a ringtone: different compression rates, size limits, etc.

Peace
Sep 7, 2007, 11:14 PM
I now question moki's motives since HIS app still works..

nickspohn
Sep 7, 2007, 11:15 PM
yeah!

like...

LIKE.....

games, landscape keyboard texting, fix the crashes, more apps, etc etc

JPyre
Sep 7, 2007, 11:16 PM
Great, now i have a bunch of ringtones in the ringtones tab that say "this file won't play" or something to that effect. It only showed up once. You can still add m4r files into itunes, they show up under ringtones, but wont sync over. Still didn't brick my phone, which is heavily modded, and it didn't delete the ringtones I added through sftp.

Honestly I dont know why they fixed the loophole, it'll just be hacked by tomorrow... or so I hope... but I guess with one more hoop to jump through, it will keep alot from doing it.

Football1maniac
Sep 7, 2007, 11:17 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, i would like to announce that since Apple is giving out $100 Gift Cards, to all iPhone users, that coming in to the holiday season, they need every dime they can afford. So, with this update, Apple has successfully made more people's lives a burden. Yes, I just downloaded this update, and guess what!? No more free ringtones for me! Go Apple, and thanks for making our lives even more complicated and our wallets lighter.:apple:

Bernie-Mac
Sep 7, 2007, 11:19 PM
Well at least i know what im using that $100 credit for...

Great, now i have a bunch of ringtones in the ringtones tab that say "this file won't play" or something to that effect. It only showed up once. You can still add m4r files into itunes, they show up under ringtones, but wont sync over. Still didn't brick my phone, which is heavily modded, and it didn't delete the ringtones I added through sftp.

Honestly I dont know why they fixed the loophole, it'll just be hacked by tomorrow... or so I hope... but I guess with one more hoop to jump through, it will keep alot from doing it.

Thats what i was thinking...im waiting a day or so to see if anyone comes up with another loophole with this one cuz i mean that last one was so simple it had to be a mistake, and if they do come up with another "hack" for 7.4.1 then ill update

aimfire
We got shafted again pretty much :D

Man, you said it!!
I'm beginning to dislike Apple and my iPhone more and more... :mad:

nemaslov
I think those of us you downloaded 7.4 yesterday should get a $100 Apple Credit since it's only been one day and we were first adopters.

KiraDouji
Sep 7, 2007, 11:21 PM
I was considering an iPhone, and while I'm glad I waited, this really irks me. I'm probably still going to buy the dang thing, but, frankly, it's an iPod + a phone! They should have had "use any iPod compatible song as a ringtone!" as a feature.

Ridiculous.

nickspohn
Sep 7, 2007, 11:21 PM
iTunes 7.4 download

http://www.nickspohn.net/itunes/iTunesSetup%207.4.exe

/admin note: this is iTunes for Windows 7.4

PCMacUser
Sep 7, 2007, 11:22 PM
I'm just getting sick of having to download 40mb updates every few days. We have data caps in NZ, and Apple seems to be doing its best to chew it up. At least frickin' Microsoft doesn't update WMP three times a month. I for one will not be downloading this new iTunes update. I'll just wait another week and download 7.4.2 or .3 or .4 or whatever they're up to by then...

sblasl
Sep 7, 2007, 11:22 PM
Care to let us in on your little secret?

I now question moki's motives since HIS app still works..

OK, I give up, tell us.

Well at least i know what im using that $100 credit for...

aimfire
Sep 7, 2007, 11:23 PM
But seriously, I would like some user friendly updates, not just a wifi store...something that won't cost me extra to use it. Please?! Hello? Apple? You there?

It seems that Apple's main interest is making MORE money these days...
I'm completely disgusted with them.

nickspohn
Sep 7, 2007, 11:24 PM
I think those of us you downloaded 7.4 yesterday should get a $100 Apple Credit since it's only been one day and we were first adopters.

that deserves to be temporarily put in my sig.

WillJS
Sep 7, 2007, 11:25 PM
iTunes 7.4 download

Thanks, for the Windows app

Bernie-Mac
Sep 7, 2007, 11:25 PM
[/QUOTE]OK, I give up, tell us.[/QUOTE]

Prolly a screen protector and one of those belkein headset adaptors for my car:D

amemoryoncelost
Sep 7, 2007, 11:26 PM
oh damn, thought it was for a mac, thanks though, sure some windows users will appreciate...

http://www.oldapps.com/download_iTunes_mac.php

will check their over the next few days for a possible upload of 7.4

jt2ga65
Sep 7, 2007, 11:28 PM
Well, 99 is pretty reasonable for a ringtone, considering that they're almost $4 each for my current phone. Still, Apple shouldn't come and ruin the fun. :(
It was free for my RAZR, as long as I already had it as a MP3. I don't use the iTunes store, and never plan to purchase music or ringtones online ever. I do, however, expect the ability to customize ringtones through the officially supported software. If you ask me, it's another in the long line of money grabbing ploys by Apple. I refuse to play their little online game. I'll continue to purchase CDs from artists I like, and rip them the the non-proprietary mp3 format.

-jt2

Cleverboy
Sep 7, 2007, 11:28 PM
UPDATE: in addition, the whole thing may be more stringent requirements for a ringtone: different compression rates, size limits, etc.That's precisely what it sounds like to me, but who knows until one tries. Either or. Either its just more stringest about the TYPE or its not. I was shocked that people were able to essentially use the audio tracks of Quicktime movies as "ringtones", which seemed very odd. Considering other reports, I'm curious if its all hanging off of "protected" or if its just a bitrate thing. It's very particular about videos in this regard too. Unfortunately, until I finish crawling the current iTunes 4 installation, I can't see myself installing bubkis. (Wait, do I still have the installer in my temp folder? ::: runs off ::: )

~ CB

nine9nin
Sep 7, 2007, 11:30 PM
Ringtones has not been disable IT STILL WORKS!

Football1maniac
Sep 7, 2007, 11:31 PM
Just a quick question about the iPod Touch, on Apple's website, it says that they will ship it before September 28th. Now does that mean that it will be available to retailers on the 28th? How long will Apple only have it at there stores?

Bernie-Mac
Sep 7, 2007, 11:31 PM
it still works for you?

macridah
Sep 7, 2007, 11:32 PM
i'll pass on this update.

compuguy1088
Sep 7, 2007, 11:32 PM
Just a quick question about the iPod Touch, on Apple's website, it says that they will ship it before September 28th. Now does that mean that it will be available to retailers on the 28th? How long will Apple only have it at there stores?

This is the wrong place to ask this, you will probably get a better response in the iPhone Forums...

Peace
Sep 7, 2007, 11:33 PM

I'd venture to guess you dont have 7.4.1 because it was working for me until i installed the iTunes update.Now it doesn't

nickspohn
Sep 7, 2007, 11:34 PM
sorry for those mac users that downloaded 7.4 from me.

i'm sucha scrub!

Bernie-Mac
Sep 7, 2007, 11:34 PM
well idk engadget says it works so maybe it works for a few people

nine9nin
Sep 7, 2007, 11:35 PM
I'd venture to guess you dont have 7.4.1 because it was working for me until i installed the iTunes update.Now it doesn't

Actually yes it is 7.4.1 and IT STILL WORKS!

pellucidity
Sep 7, 2007, 11:36 PM
For anyone thinking "better safe than sorry...":

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/iTunes_for_Mac_OS_X/1066335784/2

massiv
Sep 7, 2007, 11:40 PM
but why the F are we all still waiting for a Java update on a serious security hole???

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=469

I hate the site but Ryan is usually objective. Apples latest moves are seriously damaging my loyalty to them. Not that i think losing money is a strong business objective either. :)

nine9nin
Sep 7, 2007, 11:40 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1182/1344269647_aea733dd8b_o.jpg

Peace
Sep 7, 2007, 11:41 PM
Actually yes it is 7.4.1 and IT STILL WORKS!

How so ?

Step by Step please because I've been doing this all day and now it doesn't work

Maccus Aurelius
Sep 7, 2007, 11:45 PM
It was free for my RAZR, as long as I already had it as a MP3. I don't use the iTunes store, and never plan to purchase music or ringtones online ever. I do, however, expect the ability to customize ringtones through the officially supported software. If you ask me, it's another in the long line of money grabbing ploys by Apple. I refuse to play their little online game. I'll continue to purchase CDs from artists I like, and rip them the the non-proprietary mp3 format.

-jt2

You are aware that AAC is not Apple's proprietary format, and that iTunes' mp3 encoder is inferior, right?

After Alcatel-Lucent's big payday from Microsoft over mp3's, I wouldn't consider it non-proprietary.

compuguy1088
Sep 7, 2007, 11:48 PM
You are aware that AAC is not Apple's proprietary format, and that iTunes' mp3 encoder is inferior, right?

After Alcatel-Lucent's big payday from Microsoft over mp3's, I wouldn't consider it non-proprietary.

MP3 is technically proprietary. The open source encoder, LAME, is (I think) reversed engineered???

TypeMRT
Sep 7, 2007, 11:50 PM
the update removes the ringtone hack. download at your own risk.

Anyone have a link to the "old" iTunes 7.4 dmg?

timothyjay2004
Sep 7, 2007, 11:53 PM
Here is the direct Apple link to iTunes 7.4 not 7.4.1 for mac os x. I saw no one had posted this so I looked it up and found it for those of you who'd like it:
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net/content.info.apple.com/iTunes7/Mac/061-3602.20070905.mUy57/iTunes7.4.dmg

JPyre
Sep 7, 2007, 11:56 PM

Ok, English isn't your first language... and THIS does NOT sync. I wish I could get the error msg to come up again...

http://home.comcast.net/~jpyre/7.4.1.jpg

imacpr0n
Sep 7, 2007, 11:58 PM
I installed a custom ringtone earlier today, using the file renaming method (create .m4a file, rename to .m4r, open with iTunes, select for sync in the "Ringtones" tab of the iPhone page, sync). After installing the iTunes 7.4.1 update, my new ringtone was still on the "Ringtones" tab, but syncing removed it from the list of Ringtones on my iPhone. iToner restored it, and subsequent syncs did NOT remove it.

madmax_2069
Sep 8, 2007, 12:00 AM
when you select the version 7.4 and hit download it say's in the next page that its 7.4.1 but it is really downloading 7.4

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10227&vid=450386&mode=info

just scroll down and click the download Apple iTunes version 7.4. the link below it is for the current version

i downloaded it from there and it seems to be 7.4. then i downloaded the current version to see if they didn't try to pull a fast one. but they didnt

timothyjay2004
Sep 8, 2007, 12:06 AM
when you select the version 7.4 and hit download it say's in the next page that its 7.4.1 but it is really downloading 7.4

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10227&vid=450386&mode=info

just scroll down and click the download Apple iTunes version 7.4. the link below it is for the current version

i downloaded it from there and it seems to be 7.4. then i downloaded the current version to see if they didn't try to pull a fast one. but they didnt

Uh, I posted the direct Apple link above? Like 10 minutes ago :confused:

SilentCrs
Sep 8, 2007, 12:07 AM
Why is everyone doing this 7.4 / 7.4.1 dance?

You know next week they're going to release the new firmware for the iPhone, and it's going to have some stupid requirement that you need to have 7.4.1 running to install it.

What are you going to do? Stay at 7.4 forever?

If you want ringtones (and some freedom) over your phone, hack it. Simplest solution and the best.

jt2ga65
Sep 8, 2007, 12:08 AM

I don't use iTunes to encode mp3 files. I use other programs. There are a lot that produce very good quality files.

I'm not aware of the Alcatel/Lucent/Microsoft issue. You got a link?

Still, mp3 is much better supported across the board than AAC on the hardware that I have, so that's what I'll be sticking to.

-jt2

kibit
Sep 8, 2007, 12:09 AM
Just found this link.... haven't tried it..

http://joemaller.com/2007/09/08/make-custom-iphone-ringtones-work-with-itunes-741/

MacPrince
Sep 8, 2007, 12:14 AM
The new trick has been found.... (http://joemaller.com/2007/09/08/make-custom-iphone-ringtones-work-with-itunes-741/)

(Would try it myself if I could remove these "phantom" ringtone references in my iTunes library)

Edit: Whoops, I'm 5 minutes too late, I guess. (Serves me right for going downstairs for a snack.)

jt2ga65
Sep 8, 2007, 12:14 AM
Why is everyone doing this 7.4 / 7.4.1 dance?

You know next week they're going to release the new firmware for the iPhone, and it's going to have some stupid requirement that you need to have 7.4.1 running to install it.

What are you going to do? Stay at 7.4 forever?

Unless it has iChat and enhancements to the mail application, I see no large incentive to apply the new firmware. As it is, I see no real good reason to be using 1.01 or 1.02, but at least they have been hackable.

With at least 2 native ichat-style applications available today to hacked iphones, the only thing I really want now is a better mail reader.

-jt2

kainjow
Sep 8, 2007, 12:17 AM
With at least 2 native ichat-style applications available today to hacked iphones, the only thing I really want now is a better mail reader.

Keep dreaming... :rolleyes:

kibit
Sep 8, 2007, 12:21 AM
The new trick has been found.... (http://joemaller.com/2007/09/08/make-custom-iphone-ringtones-work-with-itunes-741/)

(Would try it myself if I could remove these "phantom" ringtone references in my iTunes library)

Edit: Whoops, I'm 5 minutes too late, I guess. (Serves me right for going downstairs for a snack.)

try this MacPrince, I found it on another site:

To remove ringtones from the ringtones tab in iTunes, first delete the ringtones from the "ringtones" folder in the finder, then rebuild your iTunes database according to http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93313

CoreWeb
Sep 8, 2007, 12:22 AM

If this works, then perhaps Apple had trouble making up their mind on which extension to use. This whole thing sounds weird.

timothyjay2004
Sep 8, 2007, 12:23 AM

That's so weird that you change the file extension to .m4a. How the heck does the phone recognize that it is a ringtone then and not a song??? I don't have an iPhone so I can't play. I have an iPod touch coming if that counts lol.

JPyre
Sep 8, 2007, 12:27 AM

To remove ringtones from the ringtones tab in iTunes, first delete the ringtones from the "ringtones" folder in the finder, then rebuild your iTunes database according to http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93313

Thanks, I needed that too. And yes the ringtones sync again w/ .m4a extension, but you now have to place them in the folder instead of just double clicking them.

jt2ga65
Sep 8, 2007, 12:27 AM
That does not seem to work in my case. It simply changed the error message from the device not being able to play it to the file not being found. Anyone actually have luck getting this to work?

-jt2

Peace
Sep 8, 2007, 12:32 AM

This is not a trick.The thing is iTunes 7.4.1 will not remove previous ringtones put on the iPhone using iToner.

Gibbons
Sep 8, 2007, 12:34 AM
changing the files back to m4a worked for me. still have my ringtones. this is great. God, i hope we can keep it like this.

chr1s60
Sep 8, 2007, 12:36 AM
At least iToner works. The way I see it, if you are willing to take the time to hack the iPhone to put ringtones on and then complain about it when they get deleted spend the $15 for iToner. If you aren't willing to spend a lousy $15 for unlimited tones on your $600 phone, then we shouldn't have to listen to you whine when they all get deleted.

MacPrince
Sep 8, 2007, 12:37 AM
This is not a trick.The thing is iTunes 7.4.1 will not remove previous ringtones put on the iPhone using iToner.

The "trick" I was referring to has nothing to do with iToner. This is the way that, through iTunes 7.4 (and now, thanks to this additional tip, in 7.4.1 as well) one can install custom ringtones on the iPhone directly through iTunes, no third party software required.

jt2ga65
Sep 8, 2007, 12:38 AM
Thanks, I needed that too. And yes the ringtones sync again w/ .m4a extension, but you now have to place them in the folder instead of just double clicking them.
Most exelent. I don't have a "ringtones" folder, though... I wonder if this is because I won't let iTunes manage my files.

-jt2

GotPro
Sep 8, 2007, 12:41 AM
At least iToner works. The way I see it, if you are willing to take the time to hack the iPhone to put ringtones on and then complain about it when they get deleted spend the $15 for iToner. If you aren't willing to spend a lousy $15 for unlimited tones on your $600 phone, then we shouldn't have to listen to you whine when they all get deleted.

Again, WHY PAY $15 when iFuntastic does it for FREEEEEEE??????
:confused:

And my ringtones have stayed synced through 7.4 and 7.4.1!!!!

jt2ga65
Sep 8, 2007, 12:45 AM
Is iToner a Windows application as well as OS X? I used iFuntastic, but I have a combination of both. Also, I think iToner will let you put the ringtones on the phone without hacking the phone, so no restore on teh next firmware upgrade.

Again, I used iFuntastic, and added applications and ringtones, so this does not apply to me.

-jt2

X38
Sep 8, 2007, 12:48 AM
Downloaded itunes 7.4.1 while still on itoner 1.0. Just as with itunes 7.4, synching the iphone erased ringtones installed with itoner 1.0.

However, I just downloaded itoner 1.0.1 and synching the iphone with itunes 7.4.1 does NOT cause the ringtones installed with itoner 1.0.1 to be erased.

Great job Ambrosia! I was holding out to see what the outcome would be here, and now that itoner looks to be solid I went ahead and paid for the upgrade from demo to full version.

Thanks Ambrosia.

powerbook911
Sep 8, 2007, 12:50 AM
Even in other applications, all you have to do is uncheck the "sync ringtones" in iTunes, and then itoner, and the other free application works fine.

The via itunes type hack is gone though.

chr1s60
Sep 8, 2007, 12:56 AM

And my ringtones have stayed synced through 7.4 and 7.4.1!!!!

If you don't mind reinstalling the tones and everything then there is nothing wrong with not purchasing something. I am just saying that the people who refuse to pay such a small price for their really expensive phone should not whine about it if they lose their ringtones with an update. By this point it is obvious Apple is trying to keep free ringtones off the iPhone, so people should know there is a good chance of losing ringtones when there is an update. Why complain over and over?:confused:

offwidafairies
Sep 8, 2007, 12:59 AM
what is closed captioning?

vertgo
Sep 8, 2007, 01:01 AM
I am just saying that the people who refuse to pay such a small price for their really expensive phone should not whine about it if they lose their ringtones with an update.

By that logic, people who spend so much money on a phone shouldn't mind spending $1.98 to get a new ringtone, right?

chr1s60
Sep 8, 2007, 01:07 AM
By that logic, people who spend so much money on a phone shouldn't mind spending $1.98 to get a new ringtone, right?

Pretty much. I even think $1.98 is a little steep for a 30 second clip of music, but now programs are popping up that allow you to pay a one time fee and make ringtones as often as you want. iToner is $15 and you can make all the ringtones you want, for that same price you would only get 7 ringtones through iTunes.

torchwood04
Sep 8, 2007, 01:11 AM
I updated-no problems.. I suspect this will turn into a cat and mouse game for the next month. Expect 7.4.2 very soon..

Hodgi
Sep 8, 2007, 01:25 AM
I use iFuntastic and when the new ringtone option came out i just unchecked the automatic syncing of ringtones and have been fine since.

Even with the latest update to 7.4.1 my custom ringtones that I loaded on my iPhone using iFuntastic still work fine.

I am not sure what all the fuss is about.

SiliconAddict
Sep 8, 2007, 01:32 AM
*shrugs* Why are people surprised? Apple opened up a new revenue stream. Someone found a work around in their software. They patched it so they could continue to sell ringtones. Again...Apple is a company. Companies do this. Nothing new here.

RockTheGlobe
Sep 8, 2007, 01:36 AM
Okay, going to ask *again*, since no one answered in the 7.4 thread...

I don't have an iPhone, I don't care about ringtones. Does this version of the iTunes software work and should I install it, or will it hose my MBP or my music library or my iPod Photo?

RockTheGlobe
Sep 8, 2007, 01:44 AM
ifins u ain't got no iPhone..... The why's does u care bout ringtones???

Did I not say "I don't care about ringtones"?

I don't have an iPhone, I don't care about ringtones.

Oh right, I *did* say I don't care about ringtones... you must've gotten confused because I used proper English.

I just want to know if the actual iTunes program works or if it has too many non-iPhone-related bugs that I shouldn't bother installing it.

Daiden
Sep 8, 2007, 01:47 AM
*shrugs* Why are people surprised? Apple opened up a new revenue stream. Someone found a work around in their software. They patched it so they could continue to sell ringtones. Again...Apple is a company. Companies do this. Nothing new here.

Especially considering ringtones are a multi-million dollar (maybe even billion dollar) industry.

pasi.keranen
Sep 8, 2007, 01:51 AM
the new features arent great

I disagree. I live in Finland and we get our movies always with subtitling. Could this addition mean that Apple is getting ready to expand the iTunes Store video offering to rest of the Europe? U.K. is the only country at the moment that has videos available, probably because rest of the countries need either subtitling (Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark etc.) or alternate soundtrack (Germany, Italia etc.). I don't need those, but to reach the mass market they need to have those available in the video store.

Once we get an update to :apple: TV that adds support for subtitling (and alternate audio tracks?), I think we can start waiting for the next Apple announcement on expanding the video offering to other countries. Of course there are contracts that need to be signed for each country, but at least the technical side would be then in place to support this expansion.

jecapaga
Sep 8, 2007, 02:01 AM
Downloaded itunes 7.4.1 while still on itoner 1.0. Just as with itunes 7.4, synching the iphone erased ringtones installed with itoner 1.0.

However, I just downloaded itoner 1.0.1 and synching the iphone with itunes 7.4.1 does NOT cause the ringtones installed with itoner 1.0.1 to be erased.

Great job Ambrosia! I was holding out to see what the outcome would be here, and now that itoner looks to be solid I went ahead and paid for the upgrade from demo to full version.

Thanks Ambrosia.

My guess here is that both updates came out today within hours of each other, ambrosia and 7.4.1. I just don't think apple had the time to kill the itone update in this most recent itunes. thinking this will be squashed by apple soon.

jecapaga
Sep 8, 2007, 02:08 AM

Agree..i totally expected apple to do this. Their official ringtone 'service' isn't even up and running yet and along comes a very, very easy workaround.

solaris
Sep 8, 2007, 02:20 AM
Strange!
iTunes 7.4.1 don't show up in Software Update over here. Yes, I have 7.4 installed..

aimfire
Sep 8, 2007, 02:22 AM
iTunes 7.4 download

/admin note: this is iTunes for Windows 7.4

This is iTunes 7.3 - not 7.4

swagi
Sep 8, 2007, 02:27 AM

Well, I don't have an iPhone (and won't get one), and I'm not surprised, as it perfectly fits in Apple's current image. They take away and charge.

Just for the sheer fun of it, I recently made my own custom ringtones with a Dual USB iBook (500 Mhz G3 that is), and it worked like a real charm. Opened up iTunes (Version 3 or 4 I guess), ripped some songs to MP3, opened up those files in QuickTime Pro (Vers. 5) and trimmed them like I liked.

Very easy, very efficient, named them how I liked them and sent them via Bluetooth (I use a dongle over there) to my mobile.

Granted I used QuickTime Pro, try that again today. It is nearly impossible, as QuickTime Pro has been crippled to death. Try exporting sound, and you will see.

Therefore another perfect move for Apple as a company. Yet still they don't have a fraction of understanding, as any other mobile device offers custom ringtones (btw my Nokia does MP3 and AAC and let's me assign ringtones to contacts, just like the iPhone).

Anonymous Freak
Sep 8, 2007, 03:01 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

why is there still no bells by my iTunes songs?? Huh? Somebody please tell me why?

Because the official ringtone service hasn't kicked off yet. They will appear when Apple officially turns on ringtones.

Padriac
Sep 8, 2007, 03:10 AM
Granted I used QuickTime Pro, try that again today. It is nearly impossible, as QuickTime Pro has been crippled to death. Try exporting sound, and you will see.
Therefore another perfect move for Apple as a company. Yet still they don't have a fraction of understanding, as any other mobile device offers custom ringtones (btw my Nokia does MP3 and AAC and let's me assign ringtones to contacts, just like the iPhone).

1) Actually, you can use the current version of Quicktime Pro to do this just fine.
2) Nokia also isn't the 3rd largest music retailer. The music labels have mandated that iTunes not allow songs to be made into ringtones, which means the iPhone can't do it for free since it is coupled to iTunes. Do you think the labels would allow Best Buy to sell CDs if Best Buy was converting all the songs to ringtones and sending them to your phone for free when you checked out? No. Direct your ire to the labels who are looking at ringtone revenue to save their pathetic asses, not Apple. Apple just wants to sell you hardware and would be happy to let you have ringtones free if it would encourage you to buy an iPhone.

synth3tik
Sep 8, 2007, 03:23 AM
I am getting really sick of this crap. Apple shouldn't be charging $0.99 to make a ringtone. I don't even want a song, I want a sound that doesn't annoy the crap out of me. If Apple is going to pull this type of crap they should atleast give us more ringtone options.

pamon
Sep 8, 2007, 03:25 AM
so i'm wrong at thinking that this latest upgrade is more so a fix vs actual ringtones. Not that i'm looking to spend the $$ for the ringtones, just interested in the functionality...

pgajg
Sep 8, 2007, 03:34 AM
I'm a little bit confused. After reading everything on here I was going to wait to download 4.1, but then I read the article about renaming them in the ringtones folder .m4a and that they'd work, so I updated and did that, but they didn't show up and instead the old .m4r ringtones were still there... and worked. I've had no trouble adding more .m4r ringtones (same way as the original hack) and am definitely running 7.4.1 (2). Explain why I was lucky and everybody else hasn't been.

synth3tik
Sep 8, 2007, 03:44 AM
For anyone thinking "better safe than sorry...":

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/iTunes_for_Mac_OS_X/1066335784/2

Thank yo

pgajg
Sep 8, 2007, 03:52 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

are ya Irish?

no

JesterJJZ
Sep 8, 2007, 04:17 AM
I hate itunes updates, we get a new one every few days it seems. I don't update anymore unless I feel I need to.

mountainbiker80
Sep 8, 2007, 04:18 AM
Its been said a few times in more obscure posts in this same thread, but 7.4.1 simply made it so that ringtones weren't automatically copied into the iTunes Ringtones folder.

Use the same process as before (rename AAC file from .m4a to .m4r), but manually put that .m4r file into the music/itunes/itunes music/ringtones folder...

...and then open those files that you place there (one-by-one OR in a group) so that iTunes opens them and registers them as part of the library.

EASY as cake. :D

Peligro
Sep 8, 2007, 05:29 AM

CRAP!!!
That reset my play counts!! DAMMIT!!!:mad:

I know thats lame to be mad at!! But things like this irk me.

Edit: Ah! I replaced the newer ITL file with the one marred with the ringtones i added. Everything is back to normal. Playcounts, date added, everything. I still had the original in the trash! PHEW! I think I'd rather have my counts intact then having my ringtones tabs clean.
Hopefully in a newer version I'll be able to erase that blooper.

javaGuru
Sep 8, 2007, 05:59 AM
I think this is hilarious. Imagine that,,,, a company actually trying to prevent their software from being hacked into. Now that's just a horrible thing of them to do! :D

zedsdead
Sep 8, 2007, 06:02 AM
Its been said a few times in more obscure posts in this same thread, but 7.4.1 simply made it so that ringtones weren't automatically copied into the iTunes Ringtones folder.

Use the same process as before (rename AAC file from .m4a to .m4r), but manually put that .m4r file into the music/itunes/itunes music/ringtones folder...

...and then open those files that you place there (one-by-one OR in a group) so that iTunes opens them and registers them as part of the library.

Are you sure about this...b/c until Apple releases the Ringtones program...I see no reason to update...I don't mind paying for the Ringtones, but I want them now...and I am keeping them until Apple gives us an alternative route...Funny how they can fix this so quick, but Safari crashing while listening to music on the iPhone, nah, lets forget about it...

vertgo
Sep 8, 2007, 06:35 AM
I think this is hilarious. Imagine that,,,, a company actually trying to prevent their software from being hacked into. Now that's just a horrible thing of them to do! :D

Actually, it's a horrible thing to do to make you pay $1.98 to play a 30 second clip of a song you already bought on CD when a friend of yours calls, on hardware you bought for $600.

The fact that people figured a way around it was just a blessing (like, let's say... as an example of tyranny and the following respite from it, the freeing of the slaves). And then you got them immediately trying to change it back (like let's say, the Jim Crow laws).

So there you have it. I could make a Hitler comparison, but I don't want to end the thread.

iShak
Sep 8, 2007, 06:38 AM
why not just offer some decent ringtone downloads at $0.99 that are NOT songs? (I find song ringtone to be very very annoying)

I don't have an iPhone and I don't plan to get one even after that huge price cut (however I am getting an iPod touch) but this ring tone business is just totally absurd!

Telp
Sep 8, 2007, 06:48 AM
why not just offer some decent ringtone downloads at $0.99 that are NOT songs? (I find song ringtone to be very very annoying)

I don't have an iPhone and I don't plan to get one even after that huge price cut (however I am getting an iPod touch) but this ring tone business is just totally absurd!

what is absurd is paying for the song twice just to be able to get a ringtone. It would be different if you just payed for the one time fee of .99 instead. A bit confused how the free ringtones are still so easilly possible.

javaGuru
Sep 8, 2007, 06:49 AM
...I could make a Hitler comparison, but I don't want to end the thread.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic at all here when I say this but could you please make the Hitler comparison for me? I honestly want to hear what you would have to say about this. You have peaked my curriosity as to how we go from talking about a company charging .99 to 1.98 for a ringtone, when most companies are charging far more than that, to Hitler. Was Hitler price gauging and trying to rip off the gestopo by charging them way more than they should have been paying for their SS arm bands? And please don't go into how Apple is charging way too much for ringtones etc... We have all heard this already. I want to hear your hitorical perspective on Hitler and Apple.

iShak
Sep 8, 2007, 07:14 AM
what is absurd is paying for the song twice just to be able to get a ringtone. It would be different if you just payed for the one time fee of .99 instead. A bit confused how the free ringtones are still so easilly possible.

I agree, the raw material is yours (the song you bought off the iTunes), you are the one who is putting time and energy to make that ringtone (the 30 second clip) still you pay Apple for .. umm .. song royalties? to pay for the contracts Apple signed with music labels?

alright .. then why not just cut the labels out? let people make ringtones out of their 'own' sound files or the royalty free ones downloaded from the internet this way there won't be no music labels no royalties?
the DRM'd songs cost you $0.99 to make ringtone bring your own and thats free .. how difficult is that?

absurd.

Sedulous
Sep 8, 2007, 07:16 AM
It is not about "Hitlerian" Apple policies, it is about the intentional hobbling of software and hardware. The crazy thing is that competitor phones can play just about any sound file as a ringtone. It seems strange that Apple appears so willing to trample users particularly after Steve's "heartfelt" appology. I am very frustrated with Apple's hard headed and ignorant approach to the iPhone.

vertgo
Sep 8, 2007, 07:25 AM
I'm not trying to be sarcastic at all here when I say this but could you please make the Hitler comparison for me? I honestly want to hear what you would have to say about this. You have peaked my curriosity as to how we go from talking about a company charging .99 to 1.98 for a ringtone, when most companies are charging far more than that, to Hitler. Was Hitler price gauging and trying to rip off the gestopo by charging them way more than they should have been paying for their SS arm bands? And please don't go into how Apple is charging way too much for ringtones etc... We have all heard this already. I want to hear your hitorical perspective on Hitler and Apple.

Hey guy, I was just satirizing my reference to slavery as an unnecessary hyperbole, and the Hitler comment was a reference to Godwin's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law).

I'm glad I piqued your curiousity.

ninethirty
Sep 8, 2007, 07:40 AM
This did not work for me... I had to create the ringtones folder you talk about below, but I see nothing when I look in the ringtones tab.

aardwolf
Sep 8, 2007, 07:42 AM
Hey... just rename the files in your ringtone folder BACK to .m4a. Double-click on them, and they will be imported the next time your iPhone syncs. :-)

Chupa Chupa
Sep 8, 2007, 07:59 AM
Actually, it's a horrible thing to do to make you pay $1.98 to play a 30 second clip of a song you already bought on CD when a friend of yours calls, on hardware you bought for $600.

The fact that people figured a way around it was just a blessing (like, let's say... as an example of tyranny and the following respite from it, the freeing of the slaves). And then you got them immediately trying to change it back (like let's say, the Jim Crow laws).

So there you have it. I could make a Hitler comparison, but I don't want to end the thread.

Dude get a freaking clue. To compare a business charging for a product to human suffering is moronic. Period.

Surreal
Sep 8, 2007, 08:00 AM
I was all "yay album ratings finally"

but they suck.

album rating should not be an average rating of the songs i have rated. it should ad or subtract weight to the ratings i have given. a 4 rated song on a 4 rated album should be a little less played than a 4 rated song ona 5 rated album..or am i alone in this?

i just thik it is stupid that rating an album rates the songs i havent rated yet...thereby making album rating something i will avoid.

Diaresi
Sep 8, 2007, 08:02 AM
It is not about "Hitlerian" Apple policies, it is about the intentional hobbling of software and hardware. The crazy thing is that competitor phones can play just about any sound file as a ringtone. It seems strange that Apple appears so willing to trample users particularly after Steve's "heartfelt" appology. I am very frustrated with Apple's hard headed and ignorant approach to the iPhone.

Exactly. I haven't payed for a ringtone in well over 3 years now, and Apple sure as hell wouldn't get me to start again. People clearly wanted ringtones and all they saw were $$ signs flashing before their eyes.

skubish
Sep 8, 2007, 08:05 AM
Hey... just rename the files in your ringtone folder BACK to .m4a. Double-click on them, and they will be imported the next time your iPhone syncs. :-)

Didn't work for me. I created a folder call Ringtones in the iTunes music folder as was mentioned. I also tried .m4a or m4r, neither worked for me. I also don't have a ringtones link on the left side of iTunes.

ninethirty
Sep 8, 2007, 08:13 AM
Ah ok cool - That worked!

So do you still need to ever rename it to .m4r or is that unncessary now?

Also, this goes out to everyone, but is anyone aware of any quality ringtones available for free online (not songs, just great sounding tones).

Thanks!

skinnylegs
Sep 8, 2007, 08:55 AM
How about a stupid "delete all messages" button? You can say that again. After re-sync'ing my iPhone, I now have over 300 emails to contend with.

skinnylegs
Sep 8, 2007, 08:59 AM
People clearly wanted ringtones and all they saw were $$ signs flashing before their eyes.Imagine that.....a company interested in making money. :rolleyes:

Most ringtones (other than default) have never been free. 'Peeps have discovered workarounds but that's 'kinda different.

aardwolf
Sep 8, 2007, 09:01 AM
Didn't work for me. I created a folder call Ringtones in the iTunes music folder as was mentioned. I also tried .m4a or m4r, neither worked for me. I also don't have a ringtones link on the left side of iTunes.

When I was initially setting them up (under 7.4), I had to delete the originals out of iTunes before they would sync the first time.

skinnylegs
Sep 8, 2007, 09:03 AM
I agree, the raw material is yours (the song you bought off the iTunes), you are the one who is putting time and energy to make that ringtone (the 30 second clip) still you pay Apple for .. umm .. song royalties? to pay for the contracts Apple signed with music labels?

alright .. then why not just cut the labels out? let people make ringtones out of their 'own' sound files or the royalty free ones downloaded from the internet this way there won't be no music labels no royalties?
the DRM'd songs cost you $0.99 to make ringtone bring your own and thats free .. how difficult is that?

absurd.Get real. If Apple changed their policy the *vast* majority of ringtones would be created from "borrowed" songs. I know it, you know it and everyone knows it so let's at least be honest.

swagi
Sep 8, 2007, 09:09 AM
1) Actually, you can use the current version of Quicktime Pro to do this just fine.
2) Nokia also isn't the 3rd largest music retailer. The music labels have mandated that iTunes not allow songs to be made into ringtones, which means the iPhone can't do it for free since it is coupled to iTunes. Do you think the labels would allow Best Buy to sell CDs if Best Buy was converting all the songs to ringtones and sending them to your phone for free when you checked out? No. Direct your ire to the labels who are looking at ringtone revenue to save their pathetic asses, not Apple. Apple just wants to sell you hardware and would be happy to let you have ringtones free if it would encourage you to buy an iPhone.

ad 1) Actually I use QuickTime Pro 7.2. I just opened up an MP3 and get the follwing sound exporting options: AU, AIFF, Wave. I just copied an MP3, selected the whole stuff, pasted it in a new player and it saves as .mov. Actually I found no way to save as .mp3. Any help would be appreciated.

ad 2) I personally don't have any ire against Apple charging for Ringtones. In fact there are many companies all over the world, that charge a hell more for their ringtones. But actually I think we have a real pervert copyright situation, where you are violating several laws at a time when you do stuff like I do (i.e. first ripping the AC3 content of a Live DVD I bought, then cutting the MP3 to desired 20-30 seconds and send it to my mobile using Bluetooth to set it as a Ringtone). I personally know, that I'm in the situation where I violate copyright laws, but try to get me a Ringtone with a tidbit from say 'Personal Jesus' I ripped from an extremely gorgeous DM Live DVD.
And I think it is a bad situation, that you can't configure the most revolutionary phone on the planet to some really individual device that fits your tastes with little hassle (i.e. send the file via Bluetooth and access the filesystem to set it as ringtone, wallpaper whatever).

BigPrince
Sep 8, 2007, 09:13 AM
Simple Fix.

Allow GarageBand to make "Custom" ringtones.

Apple is just making there application better by allowing you to use Garageband in another way with the idea of using music you created. If someone pastes a song in so be it. Apple could argue that was not the point but can't really stop it.

Rocketman
Sep 8, 2007, 09:27 AM
yeah! like...

landscape keyboard texting

I thought I saw landscape keyboard texting on the iPod Touch video.

Rocketman

twoodcc
Sep 8, 2007, 09:34 AM
looks like apple is taking these ringtones seriously

distortedloop
Sep 8, 2007, 09:41 AM
Also, this goes out to everyone, but is anyone aware of any quality ringtones available for free online (not songs, just great sounding tones).

I'm with you 100%. I don't care for "songs" used as ringtones...not my thing at all...but of all the available included ringtones on the iPhone, the Alarm one is the only one that I can actually hear in most of my daily activities.

I converted a garageband loop called "ringing cellphone" or something along those lines to a very clear, loud tone that actually cuts through the background noise of driving, a/c, etc. It's a free loop from a program I bought. There are no licensing or royalty issues. Why on earth would Apple not allow me to use that as a ringtone? It's just all RIAA appeasment and stupidity.

I'd love to find a search string on Google or Yahoo that brings up something on ringtones other than all the commercial "sell you a ringtone" sites.

kellygeorge
Sep 8, 2007, 09:43 AM
i dont care about ringtones, but i am considering buying an iphone soon and activating without att&t. does this update mess up any activation? and i wonder if it will have any effects on the unlocking schemes.

travistaylor
Sep 8, 2007, 10:03 AM
Well, at first my iPhone wouldn't sync up...but now it has.

I got an error message that said my ringtone could not be copied to my iPhone because it could not be played on the iPhone. That sucks...I guess Apple really doesn't want us to have free ringtones...ugh!

Diaresi
Sep 8, 2007, 10:08 AM
Imagine that.....a company interested in making money. :rolleyes:

Most ringtones (other than default) have never been free. 'Peeps have discovered workarounds but that's 'kinda different.

I had a Sony Ericsson Walkman phone where it is clearly intended for you to put your music on there. Guess what...you could use any song for a ringtone, without paying $0.99 for the privilege :eek: :rolleyes:

That is not a workaround, that is a feature. One that Apple could easily provide.

travistaylor
Sep 8, 2007, 10:10 AM
Oh, hey guys, I haven't read through the whole thread....but apparently you can still get ringtones to your phone through iTunes.

I just did it, I just changed the M4R back to M4A...and it worked fine. Pretty odd!

jt2ga65
Sep 8, 2007, 10:17 AM
Imagine that.....a company interested in making money. :rolleyes:

Most ringtones you get from the ringtone stores are not free, but that's about it. Most phones have software that allows you to set custom ringtones from your computer to your phone and use that as a ringtone. Nokia and Motorola and even Samsung phones all have this ability. Isn't that about 99% of all the phones on the market?

I HAVE to make my own ringtones because I have never found one on a ringtone store that was worth a crap. I mean, they are either English songs with vocals, which I find completely annoying, or other stuff that I just don't care for. Or it's based on midi, and sounds nothing like what I want to have.

My current ringtone (and I've had it for 2 1/2 years) is just a snippet from composer Yuki Kajiura, no vocals at all. And I've never found that on any ringtone store. I had to get it off a CD that I imported from Japan. Why should I have to pay Apple for something that they have no music rights to?

-jt2

macintel4me
Sep 8, 2007, 10:19 AM
Yep, it got it working thanks to reading this thread. I now have a 20 second clip, with fade in and fade out, of Clocks from Coldplay on my iPhone now as my default ringtone.

Custom GarageBand ringtones are next on my agenda. :)

How sweet it is!! :D

dy111
Sep 8, 2007, 10:22 AM
I just want the ringtone service to be fully up!
andddd the wifi to be working

whens a estimated day next week for all this to happen...tuesday?

pale9
Sep 8, 2007, 10:27 AM
what about somebody like me that MAKES HIS OWN RINGTONES from his own recordings? why does apple or anybody else always assume that everybody is going to put some clip from the pop charts on their phone. explicity keeping an iphone user from doing this with his own phone has got CLASS ACTION SUIT written all over it.

Mgkwho
Sep 8, 2007, 10:28 AM
That's kind of soon for another iTunes update, no? I just sent all those seconds downloading and installing 7.4! I'm sending a letter...

-=|Mgkwho

jt2ga65
Sep 8, 2007, 10:29 AM
But actually I think we have a real pervert copyright situation, where you are violating several laws at a time when you do stuff like I do (i.e. first ripping the AC3 content of a Live DVD I bought, then cutting the MP3 to desired 20-30 seconds and send it to my mobile using Bluetooth to set it as a Ringtone).
Actually, I am pretty damn sure that this is allowed under fair use. You are only using a small part of the song, and not distributing it.

-jt2

kjs862
Sep 8, 2007, 10:34 AM
I see the ringtone tab when I connect iphone, but can't figure out how to make one. Has anyone had any luck?

skellener
Sep 8, 2007, 10:36 AM
ouch, that is a hard blow to us little poor people.
Little poor people with iPhones? :rolleyes:

rwross
Sep 8, 2007, 10:37 AM
Here's my guess...mind you, just a guess.

This assumes you are starting with an AAC file that your renamed from M4a to M4r

There is a ringtone type assigned to iTunes ".M4r," executing this ringtone type does a few things. The first time you ever execute one, it adds a Ringtone directory to your iTunes Music directory structure IF you have iTunes managing your music.

It also adds the ringtone to the Ringtone tab within the iPhone section of iTunes.

In 7.4.0, that's all that was needed. The M4r files synced back and forth to your iPhone.

In 7.4.1 iTunes made the .M4r extension useful for "registering" a file as a ringtone, but also made it "incompatible" with syncing.

What file extension can ALWAYS be synced to any iPod like device? .M4a

Thus renaming the .M4r files that are now REGISTERED and LOCATED IN RINGTONES DIRECTORY to a .M4a extension bypasses the incompatibilty error trap that was added in 7.4.1

Someone please verify these steps and correct them if wrong...since I think folks will benefit from a stepwise procedure. Lettered steps are ones i've used for cleanliness an may not be required

1. Confirm iTunes is set to import to AAC 128
2. If the "to-be" rington is not currently AAC, convert it by right clicking
3. Delete the new aac file from the library ONLY
4. Locate the file and Move it to your desktop
5. Rename the file from xxxx.m4a to xxxx.m4r
6. Double Click on the file
6a. Delete the xxxx.m4r file from Desktop
7. Return to iTunes and confirm it is now in the iPhone ringtones tab, but no not Sync

*** Note: If you are using 7.4.0, skip to step 10 ***

8. Locate the file in your iTunes Music/Ringtones Directory
9. Rename file from xxxx.m4r to xxxx.m4a
10. Sync!!! All should be well.

One specific confirmation request for the community. Please confirm that there is NO NEED to double click on the newly renamed M4a file located in the Ringtone directory. It seems this messes things up, but I've seen it listed several times before.

FunkyMonkey
Sep 8, 2007, 10:38 AM
Little poor people with iPhones? :rolleyes:

Hey that's a good point.:D

Wow, Apple didn't waste any time with that update.

travistaylor
Sep 8, 2007, 10:42 AM
YOU CAN STILL MAKE CUSTOM RINGTONES WITH iTUNES 7.4.1 (2)!

The guy above me is right. I wrote this out for the IGN Boards just a second ago. I believe I typed it out correctly. I may have made a mistake, though. All I know is that I have been making ringtones on 7.4.1 (2) for about 20 minutes now...and it works fine. If something goes wrong when you follow the following procedure... tell me. I will see if I can correct it.

--To get ringtones on 7.4.1 (2)--

Create a song clip within iTunes, or however you wish to do it. Personally, I just click Get Info > Options and determine my own Start and Stop times. Then, I click Advanced > Convert Selection to AAC. After the clip is created, go back and remove the start/stop times on the original song. Reveal the newly formed clip in Finder. Copy the clip, and paste it onto the desktop (I suppose it really doesn't matter where, though). Right click > Get Info > change the extension to M4R. Open the .M4R file with iTunes.

Now, open a new window for Finder. Make your way to iTunes Music/Ringtones. The new M4R clip should be there. Just change the extension to .M4A, and sync it with your iPhone.

You can go back and delete the first clip you made, and go ahead and throw the file away as well. It will not do anything to your ringtone.

I've already done this a few times with the absolute latest version of iTunes. So, if you have the latest version...you aren't SOL...

Buschmaster
Sep 8, 2007, 10:56 AM
How long before they fix this now?!

MrCrowbar
Sep 8, 2007, 11:02 AM
Actually, I am pretty damn sure that this is allowed under fair use. You are only using a small part of the song, and not distributing it.

-jt2

By having it as ringtone on a device you carry in public, it counts as public playing. On every audio CD or DVD, it says you are not allowed to publically play the content on the disc. WHen buying a ringtone, you buy a license to play the few second part of that song.

blybug
Sep 8, 2007, 11:18 AM

The guy above me is right. I wrote this out for the IGN Boards just a second ago. I believe I typed it out correctly. I may have made a mistake, though. All I know is that I have been making ringtones on 7.4.1 (2) for about 20 minutes now...and it works fine. If something goes wrong when you follow the following procedure... tell me. I will see if I can correct it.

Create a song clip within iTunes, or however you wish to do it. Personally, I just click Get Info > Options and determine my own Start and Stop times. Then, I click Advanced > Convert Selection to AAC. After the clip is created, go back and remove the start/stop times on the original song. Reveal the newly formed clip in Finder. Copy the clip, and paste it onto the desktop (I suppose it really doesn't matter where, though). Right click > Get Info > change the extension to M4R. Open the .M4R file with iTunes.

Now, open a new window for Finder. Make your way to iTunes Music/Ringtones. The new M4R clip should be there. Just change the extension to .M4A, and sync it with your iPhone.

You can go back and delete the first clip you made, and go ahead and throw the file away as well. It will not do anything to your ringtone.

I've already done this a few times with the absolute latest version of iTunes. So, if you have the latest version...you aren't SOL...

Working here too. Same process as yesterday under 7.4.0, just change the extension the file in the /Ringtones directory to m4a as the last step.

Also the files that I had already been using continued to work just by changing the extension. Several of them were iTunes Music Store 30 second previews I had previously downloaded from the pre-7.4.0 days.

alep85
Sep 8, 2007, 11:20 AM
By having it as ringtone on a device you carry in public, it counts as public playing. On every audio CD or DVD, it says you are not allowed to publically play the content on the disc. WHen buying a ringtone, you buy a license to play the few second part of that song.

While I'm glad you can read the notice on your DVD, let's be real here. Public performance would designate me standing in the middle of Times Square going,"OOOOO, everybody, look at my ringtone that I created!" However, a ringtone that I create for MY phone to notify ME to pick it up is hardly considered a public performance. Secondly, this whole having to buy the song on iTunes thing is ridiculous. What if I already purchased the CD and ripped it to my iTunes? Under fair use, I'm entitled to copy the piece for my personal use. And although you may think a ringtone is public use, it's not; it's just another tactic by the record industry to keep themselves from sinking and to keep raping the artists that give them good musical content to exploit.

/rant

reubs
Sep 8, 2007, 11:26 AM
Funny how when Apple produces an update for a buggy Safari people hail them as the greatest software company on this planet or any other. As soon as they release an update that "breaks" free ringtones, folks get upset.

jt2ga65
Sep 8, 2007, 11:30 AM
By your argument, listening to music off a CD in your car with the windows down is "public playing" and would be illegal, which is simply not true.

The "public performance" is meant to keep you from taking the CD or movie and playing it in a setting where you charge money. If you were to have "movie night" at your home, and charge 50 cents to all your neighbors to come in, then you would be breaking the law. If you invited the neighbors over for "movie night" and charged them nothing, then you are in the clear. You may or may not be OK to have them supply the snacks.

Fair use is all about what is allowed and what is not. It covers things like taking clips of the movie, song, whatever, and using it as part of your new product, such as a review. You can sell your review of a movie, for example, complete with clips from the movie. You have to pay nothing to the movie studio to do this.

Ringtones are no different from the other examples. You you want to play a song for your own enjoyment when someone calls you, you are free to do this. It no different than listening to a song only when you are with your girlfriend/boyfriend.

I may not be a lawyer, but this issue is important to me, so I have researched it. I wold still need a lawyer to argue it in a court of law.

-jt2

GotPro
Sep 8, 2007, 11:31 AM

Wow... that is a TON of work to get a ringtone on your phone.

I've got a better idea.

Open Audio Hijack, click Hijack iTunes, ... visit iTunes Store... double click on the previews of the songs you want... drag the newly created aac files into iFuntastic... DONE!:apple:

hojoon0724
Sep 8, 2007, 11:38 AM
hey guys, thanks for your help. This way of changing m4r to m4a does the job.

I added a bunch of them and I can't find a way to delete them from iTunes.

It doesn't even show up in search.

Can anyone help me? I have way too many ringtones

Bernie-Mac
Sep 8, 2007, 11:39 AM
^^Actually the process is quite simple....and so we've concluded making ringtones from your music is not illegal.....what if its music your "borrowed" say from limewire? Are we reaching that point of illegality? if thats even a word?

Shagrat
Sep 8, 2007, 11:52 AM

I've got a better idea.

Open Audio Hijack, click Hijack iTunes, ... visit iTunes Store... double click on the previews of the songs you want... drag the newly created aac files into iFuntastic... DONE!:apple:

Only problem is if they don't preview the bit of the song that you want. And I'll bet they usually don't!

But don't you have to buy Audio Hijack?** So why not go with Ambrosia's solution? For the princely sum of $15?

I do have to say the rather strange situation of people who can shell out $100s for a phone, then complain that they can't get free ringtones, puzzles me somewhat!

** Ahh, I see, Audio Hijack demo, only puts an audio spoiler on the audio after 10 mins, so fine for Ringtones!
Clever!

rwross
Sep 8, 2007, 12:11 PM
Hojo--

The only way currently to remove ringtones from the iPhone tab is by recreating your library:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93313

Shaq:

Not trying to be obnoxious here, but the price of the ringtones is probably not the primary issue for most folks, I know it's not for me. I find it extremely unlikely that one of the iTunes store's 500k ringtones will be that of my two youngest kids laughing and yelling "Daddy, pick up the phone."

I'm pretty sure I have the rights to that particular sound, and am baffled why I can't easily add it to my device, which I also own.

briand05
Sep 8, 2007, 12:20 PM
what about somebody like me that MAKES HIS OWN RINGTONES from his own recordings? why does apple or anybody else always assume that everybody is going to put some clip from the pop charts on their phone. explicity keeping an iphone user from doing this with his own phone has got CLASS ACTION SUIT written all over it.

Considering you can do this on MICROSOFT's Windows Mobile phones and pretty much every other phone you can apply any sound as a ringtone, really makes Apple look bad. Of course the Apple shills will put the blame on the record companies...yet how come it's fine with every other phone yet not Apple's device?

owen-b
Sep 8, 2007, 12:51 PM
I'm pretty sure it also kills CoverScout somehow. I'd been using CoverScout for an hour or so to find artwork for my library in advance of the iPod touch arriving, and for some reason it suddenly stopped being able to display the artwork I already had. It didn't have a problem with that earlier.

I can't be sure, but I think this happened right after I downloaded 7.4.1, which happened this afternoon while I was working with CoverScout.

The artwork is all still there and attached correctly in iTunes, but it won't display at all in CoverScout.

clevin
Sep 8, 2007, 12:55 PM
apple's coding ability is crappy, I can't believe I need to download 30MB+ each time for a 0.0.1 update, iTunes, Quicktime, and everything!... Jesus.

willybNL
Sep 8, 2007, 01:17 PM
Could apple please start by just updating files they changed.
This is irritating.

Also irritating is that you have to accept the terms every time.

APPLE: Just tell me what changed. This sucks

Taylor C
Sep 8, 2007, 01:24 PM
Just updated to 7.4.1, changing the file extensions back to .m4a works fine for me.

torchwood04
Sep 8, 2007, 01:40 PM
I will bet that we will see 7.4.2 by at least Tuesday now with that one can just change the extension back.

ShavenYak
Sep 8, 2007, 01:46 PM

No, it isn't reasonable. They're charging you another $1 to copy data YOU OWN from the computer YOU OWN to the cellphone YOU OWN. I love Apple too, which is exactly why I was expecting them to do this whole cellphone thing better than the other companies. They've improved a few aspects of the process, but they're being just as stupid with ringtones as the other companies.

Actually, I guess as long as there are suckers who are willing to pay for a low-quality sample of a song to be a ringtone, even when they already own the song, Apple and the other cellphone companies aren't really the ones being stupid.

edoates
Sep 8, 2007, 01:55 PM

I've got a better idea.

I just added a ringtone more easily:

I already had an MP3 ringtone from a personally recorded song (so no copyright issues) for my old RAZR.

I used "advanced" to convert it to AAC so that the M4A file appeared in my directory (under Unknown artists at it turns out). Then I used "get info" on that file directly in my iTunes directory to change the extension to M4R. Then I quit and restarted iTunes, and now the M4R file apprears as "protected AAC Audio File."

I plugged in my iPhone, and looked at the ringtones tab, and sure enough, the M4R file was listed and I synced "checked songs" and it appears on my iPhone and works as a ring tone.

The old 7.4 hack no longer works: if you change a M4A extension outside of iTunes to M4R, then iTunes will not import it.

Eddie O

EDIT: well, it's not a simple as that. I tried it with another song which was not in "unknown," and it is not seen as a ringtone. I also don't see a "ringtone" folder in the iTunes library. Hmmmm.

I don't know what the new trick is: I only got the one ringtone to work; all others resist appearing in the "ringtone" list.

PBUser167
Sep 8, 2007, 02:02 PM

I would settle for Safari to stop crashing at this point!

-PBUser167

torchwood04
Sep 8, 2007, 02:05 PM
I would settle for Safari to stop crashing at this point!

-PBUser167
Me too! We need a Safari 3.1 stable release preferably or another beta update (3.0.4)

rwross
Sep 8, 2007, 02:05 PM
Ed...

No offense, but your approach confuses me a bit, as does your statement that, "if you change a M4A extension outside of iTunes to M4R, then iTunes will not import it."

That has not be the experience of most folks.

Try these steps and see if they work for you:

7. Return to iTunes and confirm it is now in the iPhone ringtones tab, but no not Sync

As an aside, if you are using a mac, some have reported problems if you simply "change the name" to m4r. If you move it to your desktop, you still must use get-info to change the extension. Not being a mac guy...i'm not sure what all that means...but it seems that under OS X, the extensions are largely hidden and that changing the file's name would simply resultin name.m4r.m4a which would likely be a mess. The same is true in windows if you haven't turned off "Hide known extensions."

psychofreak
Sep 8, 2007, 02:08 PM
Argh! My iTunes looked really clean the other day. Then iTunes 7.4(.1) comes and now I have the ugliness of 5 stars (full or empty) under my Album art in Album View (the middle view mode). I don't use ratings, so is there any way to remove these?

torchwood04
Sep 8, 2007, 02:08 PM
If there is all this trouble with using 7.4.1, then why use the update in the first place? No one's forcing it on you, just stay with 7.4 until a security fix and/or cool new features are added... Just my opinion..

TitoC
Sep 8, 2007, 02:16 PM
Considering you can do this on MICROSOFT's Windows Mobile phones and pretty much every other phone you can apply any sound as a ringtone, really makes Apple look bad. Of course the Apple shills will put the blame on the record companies...yet how come it's fine with every other phone yet not Apple's device?

That's because Microsoft and the others don't own, run and manage iTunes. Apple does. Microsoft is not in the business of selling movies, T.V. shows and music (at least not very well). They don't have the same type of relationships with these businesses as Apple does. It would be one thing if Apple never started iTunes, never had dealt with the music business and all of a sudden created the iPhone. But it didn't. It had a business contract with the music industry. I'm sure they weren't going to let the world's largest online distributor of music just "give music away." That's not how business deals get made. Not in the real world. You really can't compare the two.

jt2ga65
Sep 8, 2007, 02:29 PM
^^Actually the process is quite simple....and so we've concluded making ringtones from your music is not illegal.....what if its music your "borrowed" say from limewire? Are we reaching that point of illegality? if thats even a word?
I don't want to get into the "own" vs. "license" debate, because it really the same thing. Getting music off of a service that does not have the rights to distribute it is not the same as getting it from one that does.

Fair use is pretty clear on how it works. If you buy a copy of music, no matter how you have bought it, CD, tape, digital, off TV or radio, then you are allowed to do certain things with it, including changing the media type and devices that you listen to it with. You can also take snippets of the music and use it in certain uses that others can listen to, like using music as a background to a photo slide show, or something.

You can't legally buy something who has no legal right to sell it. Both parties are doing something illegal.

-jt2

CWallace
Sep 8, 2007, 02:32 PM
With all the confusion of what version of what application is still working, I just downloaded iToner 1.01 and installed iTunes 7.4.1 and can confirm that iToner 1.01 works with MP3 files now and they do survive a subsequent iPhone sync.

iTunes 7.4.1 does not recognize iToner-transferred ringtones under the Ringtone tab. It still shows my .m4r ringtones (greyed-out as I "de-synced" them to remove them from my iPhone before I upgraded and tried iToner 1.01). But it does work. :)

edoates
Sep 8, 2007, 02:45 PM
Ed...

No offense, but your approach confuses me a bit, as does your statement that, "if you change a M4A extension outside of iTunes to M4R, then iTunes will not import it."

"

**** When I tried that, any attempt to deal with that M4R file did nothing in iTunes 7.4.1 (it did not appear in the library list, nor did it play). The way I made the only one which worked was to get the m4a file into itunes the usual way, and then to use "get info" in finder to change the extension. It then appeared in iTunes as a protected AAC, and also appeared in the iTunes iPhone Ringtone page. It only worked once in a row.

vandy1997
Sep 8, 2007, 02:49 PM
I have not been able to get the OP's method to function under Windows Vista (no snickering, please :o) ). Are the people who are getting this method to function using Macs? The .m4r method worked fine for me under iTunes 7.4, but changing the ringtone extension to .m4a under iTunes 7.4.1 and synching lists the new ringtones in the Ringtone tab in iTunes but does not sync those ringtones to the iPhone. I do not get the error message stating that the files are incompatible with the iPhone, but the ringtones do not appear on the iPhone. I am able to install ringtones onto the iPhone using SSH/WinSCP with the Binkit, but I would like to be able to do so using iTunes as well. If anybody wants a free "Tarzan Yell" ringtone, you can find it here: http://gallery.mobile9.com/f/111252/ . Any suggestions (besides getting a Mac or reinstalling iTunes 7.4)?

jt2ga65
Sep 8, 2007, 02:55 PM
That's because Microsoft and the others don't own, run and manage iTunes. Apple does. Microsoft is not in the business of selling movies, T.V. shows and music (at least not very well).
Doesn't Microsoft have the Zune service?

Honestly, I don't think you can fully blame RIAA for Apple charging premiums for ringtone creation. RIAA certainly would not be involved with content that they do not represent the rights to. I believe that this is more about Apple's plan rather than the RIAA. If Apple gives any royalty to the RIAA studio, then it's going to be a VERY small part.

And they still have not addressed the content that Apple has no rights to. Who are they going to give the royalty to? They are going to keep it for themselves. That is if they are even going to allow you to make the ringtone in the first place.

-jt2

TPALTony
Sep 8, 2007, 04:35 PM

Not that I want to get into this debate, but the iPhone has a screen and a speaker. So if I play music on the speaker, how's that different than a ring tone?

I just sat on a plane watching movies, people to my side or behind me could see it. That's public too right?

My father used to have the X Files as his ring. His phone would ring, and within seconds, someone in the near vicinity would start whistling the tune...

I think the problem is that the other firms that give you the ringtones free are NOT major online music retailers. Not having any relationship to protect, Nokia can get away with it. So can Motorola. But Apple can't (to be honest, I don't think it bothers them, since they make money out of it too!)

But thankfully, the hacker community will continue to find us ways around this sort of stuff. iToner has it nailed, since they seem to have reverse engineered the file syncing protocol. So until Apple change it, iToner is literally iTunes without the checks to stop you syncing things they don't want you to. :)

be well

t

diamond.g
Sep 8, 2007, 04:44 PM
I think there is a disconnect here. Apple is charging for not only the ringtone, but also the ability to put said ringtone on your iPhone (before hack). What some are saying, that I feel is getting lost, is that Apple should let you put any ringtone on your phone just like how they let you put any music on your phone. That doesn't stop Apple from offering ringtones, it just allows those of us that have stuff we made or rare stuff to be able to upload it without using a hack or 3rd party program.

Also, Sony's phones allow you to use your own MP3/AAC for a ringtone, why shouldn't Apple's?

Bern
Sep 8, 2007, 04:45 PM
To follow the hack so that you can use the custom ringtone renaming in iTunes 7.4.1 rather than rename the file in iTunes as m4r rename it to m4a. That should work.

compuguy1088
Sep 8, 2007, 04:58 PM
Today, I’m very happy to introduce Apple Gazette’s very first piece of software. A very simple Automator built application based on this tutorial for converting AAC files into ringtones for the iPhone.

The application is free to download. You are using it at your own risk. Please read the Read Me file before using the application. iTunes MUST BE closed for it to work. If iTunes is open, it will not add the file to the Ringtones tab on your iPhone.

Apple Gazette has created a piece of software that automates the ringtone process with two versions: one for 7.4 and one for 7.4.1

http://www.applegazette.com/site-news/introducing-iring-free-iphone-ringtones-for-all

BollywooD
Sep 8, 2007, 05:08 PM
Apple Gazette has created a piece of software that automates the ringtone process with two versions: one for 7.4 and one for 7.4.1

http://www.applegazette.com/sitehttp://www.applegazette.com/site-news/introducing-iring-free-iphone-ringtones-for-all/-news/introducing-iring-free-iphone-ringtones-for-all/

your link was messed up, heres the fixed link:
http://www.applegazette.com/site-news/introducing-iring-free-iphone-ringtones-for-all
:)

compuguy1088
Sep 8, 2007, 05:12 PM
your link was messed up, heres the fixed link:
:)

Thanks! its fixed.

edoates
Sep 8, 2007, 05:14 PM
Ed...

Try these steps and see if they work for you:

As an aside, if you are using a mac, some have reported problems if you simply "change the name" to m4r. If you move it to your desktop, you still must use get-info to change the extension. Not being a mac guy...i'm not sure what all that means...but it seems that under OS X, the extensions are largely hidden and that changing the file's name would simply resultin name.m4r.m4a which would likely be a mess. The same is true in windows if you haven't turned off "Hide known extensions."

In 7.4.1, (Mac) I don't have a "ringtone" directory, and the .m4r file is not moved. So if you delete it, you will get a "file not found" upon syncing, and a semi-permanent entry in your "ringtones" tab for your iphone sync.

But after much fooling about (see my prior posts), the procedure detailed above seems to work except: after converting the file to m4a and changing the extension to m4r (via Get Info in finder), move it to a location where you won't toss it away. I put mine in my home/music folder, right next to the directories there (like iTunes and GarageBand). You might want to make a "Ringtones" directory there just to keep organized.

After the m4r type file is moved there, start up iTunes, and then double click the file in Finder. Nothing will apparently happen in iTunes, but you will get an entry in your "ringtones" tab for your iPhone. Then before you sync, change the extension again on that ringtone file to "m4a" usig Get Info in Finder. Then sync away.

For now, once a ringtone appears in the list, it stays there even if it cannot be used, for example, if you delete the file, the entry stays.

You can rebuild your iTunes library using this info:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93313

but your next sync will be a long one: everything get reloaded as if you were syncing with a new computer.

All too complicated; clearly, Apple needs to create a way to make ring tones from material which is already licensed or for which I am the creator. The rest of you can argue copyright law, but either Apple makes it easy, or more hacks appears.

Eddie O

briand05
Sep 8, 2007, 05:28 PM
I think there is a disconnect here. Apple is charging for not only the ringtone, but also the ability to put said ringtone on your iPhone (before hack). What some are saying, that I feel is getting lost, is that Apple should let you put any ringtone on your phone just like how they let you put any music on your phone. That doesn't stop Apple from offering ringtones, it just allows those of us that have stuff we made or rare stuff to be able to upload it without using a hack or 3rd party program.

Also, Sony's phones allow you to use your own MP3/AAC for a ringtone, why shouldn't Apple's?

Because Apple wants total control of you, the way Steve likes it is the right way and that's it. It's the same thing like why doesn't iPhone allow you to install 3rd party applications (out of the box) like Windows smartphones. Why can't you say have your wallpaper appear all the time instead of appearing just when the phone is locked (which is incredibly stupid), it's I think because Steve Jobs has decided that he doesn't want YOUR phone to be customized in any way whatsoever and his way is without a doubt the right way so the user should have no customization options.

javaGuru
Sep 8, 2007, 07:01 PM
Hey guy, I was just satirizing my reference to slavery as an unnecessary hyperbole, and the Hitler comment was a reference to Godwin's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law).

I'm glad I piqued your curiousity.

In that case, i owe you a huge "my bad!" :)

Crazymaclover
Sep 9, 2007, 03:27 PM
I posted some steps on the ringtone work around for itunes 7.4.1 it's pretty easy to do

www.themacfan.com

chim9999
Sep 9, 2007, 03:33 PM
i really don't get the whole ringtone craze (i like mine to just ring) but LOL @ the link for new hack in with the post about apple fixing the previous one.

aimfire
Sep 9, 2007, 05:03 PM

Yeah, and if you drive down a city street playing a CD in your car stereo, windows wide open, wouldn't that count as public playing too? :rolleyes:

Draelius
Sep 9, 2007, 06:13 PM
Yeah, and if you drive down a city street playing a CD in your car stereo, windows wide open, wouldn't that count as public playing too? :rolleyes:

...iPod integration into automobiles. Automatically disables when you roll your windows down or have someone in the passenger seat.

LionelEHutz
Sep 10, 2007, 01:18 PM
Are they trying to drive people away from iTunes? I don't even have an iPhone and I think this disabling of free ringtone stuff is crap.

yagrax
Sep 10, 2007, 02:55 PM
On my hacked iPhone 1.02, SendSong (to ringtones) and iBrickr ringtone uploader still work.

I'd agree, why should we pay 99 cents extra to make a song we own a ringtone when there's a handful of freeware/shareware programs that do it on mp3s?

One thing about 7.4.1 I noticed is that it tried to sync back to my iPhone the "Apple iPhone Show" podcast back to podcast #1 (there's 18 currently). I had deleted 1-16 in iTunes and on the iPhone, but it sync'd anyways. Weirdness. A delete again of the podcasts made iTunes sync them correctly again, just #17 & #18.

ventz
Sep 11, 2007, 01:32 AM
I downloaded 7.4.1 and it didn't screw up anything with AppTapp. All of my settings are still correct, all of the apptapp applications still work, and the spring board is still customly arranged ;) (this is on a Mac btw)

About the ringtones, there is a much easier way to do it:
SCP (or copy stuff) to ~/Library/Ringtones (yes, you have to mkdir Ringtones, and they have to be .mp3).

-V

Rom Rim
Sep 13, 2007, 01:14 PM
This is so cool. Now all I gotta do is buy one each of all those gadgets so I can test it out! I'll probably do it tomorrow.