PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical iPod touch poll

i0Nic
Sep 8, 2007, 07:23 AM
Hey guys, I was having a debate with a mate over the new iPod touch. He was saying how it didn't have enough capacity for all his videos, his music would fit fine on the 16gb but would only leave 6gb left for videos.

I questioned him why the need to store all your videos on the ipod, and although he agreed with me that'd he probably only watch a movie or an ep once he'd still like to have it on there.

Whereas I personally would like to have only my latest unwatched video content on there, plus a few family guy eps that I like to watch every now and then. So the iPod touch 16gb suits me fine.

Now, I suggested to him that it would be more convenient to have a 16gb touch that plays divx/xvid rather than an 80gb touch that only plays iTunes aac etc.

Again he disagreed, saying he'd rather take the time to reencode and have all his content there. Whereas for me I'd love to be able to just synch over content without having to reencode, and only storing the latest videos.

Which would you prefer?

clevin
Sep 8, 2007, 07:41 AM
other people's need is not his need, are you trying to use this poll to convince him? ;)

1. 80GB iPod Touch is not in any near future, its useless to poll this. and
2. as iPod Touch has an streamlined OS in there, you can not limited its function like that.
3. none of the iPod Touch plays xvid/divx, you need to wait for hacks. things like "16G has divx/xvid, 80G doesn't" are purely false, not true, and useless.

i0Nic
Sep 8, 2007, 07:44 AM
other people's need is not his need, are you trying to use this poll to convince him? ;)

1. 80GB iPod Touch is not in any near future, its useless to poll this. and
2. as iPod Touch has an streamlined OS in there, you can not limited its function like that.
3. none of the iPod Touch plays xvid/divx, you need to wait for hacks. things like "16G has divx/xvid, 80G doesn't" are purely false, not true, and useless.
Hence the term hypothetical. And what's the OS got to do with anything?

cube
Sep 8, 2007, 07:46 AM
iPod touch with a minimum of 250GB.

i0Nic
Sep 8, 2007, 07:49 AM
iPod touch with a minimum of 250GB.
Only 250gb? Why stop there.. it needs to have at least 1 terabyte before I will ever consider it. I *must* store every episode of MASH and The Golden Girls in high definition, along with my complete Cher anthology in apple lossless format.

cube
Sep 8, 2007, 07:52 AM
I stop there because that's the minimum that would allow me to add some podcasts for the following months and add some movies.
It is a realistic expectation of what we could see in the near future.

Sep 8, 2007, 02:02 PM
I think people keep missing the point with regard to the ipod touch. The concept is driving the price for this device. The interface is everything here. Storage will improve with time but apple is on to something revolutionary by radically redefining how we interact with technology. That alone is worth the price of admission.

They didn't make a mistake... If what you want is massive storage get an iPod classic. If what you want is ultraportability and the most dynamic and intuitive user interface in computing today get an iPod touch. When it is proven that people will accept the UI concept itself, THEN it will make sense to start pushing the boundaries of flash storage.

The problem with hard drive storage is size, form factor, shock resistance, longevity, and the fact that the capacitance touchscreen occupies more space AND depth than a plain LCD. This alone would make an 80 gig hard disk iPod touch thicker than its non-touchscreen counterpart.

But if people don't buy into the concept of multitouch itself, it won't matter how much storage it has. We are into new territory here with a user interface that opens up all kinds of new possibilities.