PDA

View Full Version : iPod touch wi-fi at school?

nlivo
Sep 8, 2007, 08:34 AM
Yes i am a youngen...anyway, the way my school's network is all the computers (PC's) you have a login screen to get onto them and every student has an account and so i was wondering if i could access the internet on my iPod touch because i would need to type in a username and password? anyone have an iPhone and know how it works?

gloss
Sep 8, 2007, 08:38 AM
Yes i am a youngen...anyway, the way my school's network is all the computers (PC's) you have a login screen to get onto them and every student has an account and so i was wondering if i could access the internet on my iPod touch because i would need to type in a username and password? anyone have an iPhone and know how it works?

Should work fine. I believe this is the sort of thing Steve was talking about when he discussed the uselessness of Wi-Fi without a web browser.

nlivo
Sep 8, 2007, 08:55 AM
Should work fine. I believe this is the sort of thing Steve was talking about when he discussed the uselessness of Wi-Fi without a web browser.

but we don't sign in on the comouters using a browser, we sign in on the actual computer. How would i do this in a browser??

Mtirv
Sep 8, 2007, 09:47 AM
Most schools have security on their Wi-Fi, but if they don't, you should be good to get it set up. You will not have to log in, as that login is for the Windows network, and won't do anything with an iPhone.

aethelbert
Sep 8, 2007, 09:56 AM
No, you will likely have to enter in the encryption password on the network. And I don't think that your school's IT office would be willing to share it with you (unless you are a college student).

trevorlsciact
Sep 8, 2007, 11:35 AM
Like others have said, the login on the 'puters is for your windows account, not just to use the network. At my HS we have Wifi in the library that anyone can use. Just ask a staffer at your school about wifi access (I would not mention the iPod tho ;))

ll PiStoNs ll
Sep 8, 2007, 01:15 PM

It will work if you guys dont have a password on your browser. 2 years ago we just needed a password to get in, but they had no way of tracking which kid did it if they went onto inapporpriate sites or went on myspace. Now when you launch the web broswer you have to type in the same user name and pw so if you do something wrong online,t hey will know which student did that.

If your school doesnt have that you should be fine.

1 more year for me then at michigan state with wifi all over the place, the touch will be the most used thing over there.

Stang68
Sep 8, 2007, 01:59 PM
I go to Quinnipiac University and I had the same question yesterday. I went to our Computer help desk and asked the guys there is I would be able to hook up to the Wifi with the touch (which they had heard about). They said if it is the same wireless as the MBP I have then I should be fine. I told them the touch runs on OS X and they said everything will work. The way the touch works is that it will automatically search for a network and then all you have to do is put in your school username and password. I cant wait for this because then i can browse on the entire campus!

nlivo
Sep 8, 2007, 05:49 PM
sweet, sounds ok then. I'm not going to be concentrating in class much then when i get my iPod touch!!! haha. All these regular kids all try and sneak their iPod headphones up their jumpers, ill just have a whole internet browser in my lap!! damn i'm cool. haha.

sblasl
Sep 8, 2007, 07:25 PM
Don't be surprised if schools lock out the iPod Touch for many reasons. Cheating & distraction are 2 that come to mind immediately. I wouldn't be surprised if school boards & admins have policies in place before these things even hit the streets.They'll have the IT folks blocking this device quicker than you say ABC.

zap2
Sep 8, 2007, 07:47 PM
sweet, sounds ok then. I'm not going to be concentrating in class much then when i get my iPod touch!!! haha. All these regular kids all try and sneak their iPod headphones up their jumpers, ill just have a whole internet browser in my lap!! damn i'm cool. haha.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

And no, it still might not work.

My school has Wi-Fi all over, I brought my laptop, no dice, need a password. Ask for the password, one of the head IT people is nice, so she gives it to me, nothing. She says she need to add my on their end of the whole network, but that she isn't allowed to. :(

And FireFox/IE don't need a password to work on my school PCs, so ll PiStoNs ll is mistaken.

rbroady
Sep 8, 2007, 07:47 PM
Don't be surprised if schools lock out the iPod Touch for many reasons. Cheating & distraction are 2 that come to mind immediately. I wouldn't be surprised if school boards & admins have policies in place before these things even hit the streets.They'll have the IT folks blocking this device quicker than you say ABC.

wow, never thought about that...lame

is there any way around it?

I go to the School of Visual Arts in NYC so my school is nothing but Mac's, so they would obviusly know about this...

Actually i almost drooled all over myself last week when i walked into the design lab and i saw close to a hundred brand new mac pro boxes...went to this first computer, checked out what kind of power they had, quad-core xeons at 3.0ghz

and even a FEW 8-CORE MODELS:eek:

sblasl
Sep 8, 2007, 07:53 PM
Nice school ! Very fortunate to have new equipment with that kind of power. Sounds like they weren't too concerned about the graphic card.:rolleyes:

I know that local school boards around here are already addressing the iPhone WiFi on their systems and the iPod Touch will be addressed as well.

wow, never thought about that...lame

is there any way around it?

I go to the School of Visual Arts in NYC so my school is nothing but Mac's, so they would obviusly know about this...

Actually i almost drooled all over myself last week when i walked into the design lab and i saw close to a hundred brand new mac pro boxes...went to this first computer, checked out what kind of power they had, quad-core xeons at 3.0ghz

and even a FEW 8-CORE MODELS:eek:

synth3tik
Sep 8, 2007, 07:56 PM
The main reason of the browser on the Touch is so that people can access those primitive Wifi networks that use browser log ins.

My college has a "cell Killer" and Wifi only works in the library, so it sound like you are lucky.

rbroady
Sep 8, 2007, 09:09 PM
The main reason of the browser on the Touch is so that people can access those primitive Wifi networks that use browser log ins.

My college has a "cell Killer" and Wifi only works in the library, so it sound like you are lucky.

I have wifi hotspots all through different buildings in my school...and being in NYC, everytime i sign onto the network i have to search through a good 30 networks, its crazy, im sure one of them will work:)

DMC-12
Sep 9, 2007, 02:16 AM
My university requires downloaded software to login to their network on the dorm wi-fi. I'm assuming that the iPod touch wouldn't work then because it won't be able to install and run the software?

BiikeMike
Sep 9, 2007, 10:16 AM

A "cell killer"?!???

trevorlsciact
Sep 9, 2007, 05:01 PM
A "cell killer"?!???

I think he is talking about the (illegal, I might add) cellphone signal disrupters. Block cell hone signals.

BiikeMike
Sep 9, 2007, 10:53 PM
I think he is talking about the (illegal, I might add) cellphone signal disrupters. Block cell hone signals.

I realized that, and my surprise was that they actually had one!

thespazz
Sep 10, 2007, 12:23 AM
I realized that, and my surprise was that they actually had one!
Very reasonable in a library. I loathe people who are talking in the library when I'm busy studying.

iCantwait
Sep 10, 2007, 06:56 AM
just want to put this out there, FIREFOX PORTABLE from www.portableapps.com (http://www.portableapps.com) gets past my schools web-marshal. i think safari would too but i cant get it to work.

GETTING MY TOUCH TO WATCH YOUTUBE IN ENGLISH!!!!!:D

iMJustAGuy
Sep 12, 2007, 12:25 AM

your school most likely does not have wi-fi. The way you are describing log on is a high school. Am I correct?

jialuolu
Sep 12, 2007, 12:38 AM

Sounds like my school and there is no general wi-fi network. Some of the departments have their own so you could check for that but it's spotty around the school

EricNau
Sep 12, 2007, 12:55 AM
Will the iPod touch be able to handle proxies?

nlivo
Sep 12, 2007, 01:15 AM
your school most likely does not have wi-fi. The way you are describing log on is a high school. Am I correct?

all the desktop's connect via ethernet but the school has wi-fi so the teachers take their laptops to different classes and can connect to the internet. so it has wi-fi. I'm just wondering if i'll be able to connect to it using my login name (every student has a login name and password, its there first name and the first letter of their last name)??????

iMJustAGuy
Sep 12, 2007, 09:28 AM
all the desktop's connect via ethernet but the school has wi-fi so the teachers take their laptops to different classes and can connect to the internet. so it has wi-fi. I'm just wondering if i'll be able to connect to it using my login name (every student has a login name and password, its there first name and the first letter of their last name)??????

hmmmm..Im thinking there would be a problem with the "log on to" part under the more options under log on and password..you know with the different servers and such..my school has multiple..1 for teahchers, students, etc.

ps49556n
Sep 12, 2007, 09:56 AM
I know at my university to use the wifi I select the name of the open school network (with no password), go to safari and safari will load the login screen. I just sign in with my info and it works great

koolkeat
Sep 12, 2007, 10:05 AM
in most high schools in my area they don't use a wifi network just so people can't get on the internet on their own laptops. i would assume most high schools around the country have policies that are somewhat the same.

Stang68
Sep 12, 2007, 01:22 PM
I am pretty sure that the Touch will work on my colleges wifi, but just to make sure...do you guys know if WPA2 encryption works on the iPhone/Touch? usually i just need to enter my username and password to connect but i just wanted to know.

ps56k
Sep 12, 2007, 01:47 PM
most large installations, corp & schools, have file servers and other resources that require some form of "authentication" - usually your ID and password.
Once you are authenticated, you have certain "permissions" that allow you to access certain file servers, resources, etc...

This can also be used to limit where, when, and how you gain physical access to the network. More and more the concept of NAC - Network Access Control - is being deployed mostly because of wireless access points.

So, unlike hotspots, caes, etc - where you will likely encounter a web based login or "usage" screen, the mainstream IT depts have no need for that as everything is geared to your ID and what you can do with it...

You may have physical connectivity to the AP, but nothing beyond it...

Cache
Sep 12, 2007, 01:50 PM
At my school there's a wifi connection that covers the entire campus. All students need to install some stuff and change some settings on their laptop. After that's done, you just have to turn on your wireless network card and you're good to go. However, I doubt the iPod touch would work with this, right?

Hope someone can tell me otherwise, but then again I'm already used to the idea of not being able to use the wifi network with the touch when I'm at school.

edit: Found out my uni uses 802.1x protocol. So since I havent seen this in the tech specs of the touch, I'm assuming it wouldnt work... :(

moemoe
Sep 12, 2007, 09:31 PM
What about Airport Extremes and such? Is that considered wi-fi?

Luigi239
Sep 12, 2007, 09:41 PM
What about Airport Extremes and such? Is that considered wi-fi?

Airport is Apple's branding for Wi-Fi, so yes, it will work.

infectbda
Sep 12, 2007, 10:04 PM
My school has a rather odd setup. For wifi networks in the dorms, they use 802.1x, but for wifi on campus, Cisco VPN is used instead. I would imagine that neither of these modes will be supported on the touch, although the 802.1x support is built into OS X, so perhaps Apple could add in this support in the future.

Ehh, good thing I have my own personal wifi network setup in my room. Are we supposed to? No. But whatevas.

wesleyJ
Sep 12, 2007, 10:13 PM
My school requires VPN client to log onto our wifi network...what does this mean for the touch?

infectbda
Sep 12, 2007, 10:14 PM
My school requires VPN client to log onto our wifi network...what does this mean for the touch?

If it required a third-party VPN client, I highly doubt the touch will be working on that network (since third-party apps aren't allowed on the touch).

wakerider017
Sep 12, 2007, 10:25 PM
My college (USF) has a webpage login, Much like Stanford which Steve was talking about.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/720/picture1tn0.png