PDA

View Full Version : New nano fatty turns out to be the star...

netdog
Sep 8, 2007, 03:00 PM
I saw them today. The original pictures don't do it justice. Much to my surprise, these are little jewels. Great colors. Fantastic. These will be the hit stocking stuffer of the year.

I also had a look at the "Classics". Definitely nice, but I prefer my black 5.5. The Classic certainly fills a niche, and 160GBs of storage is a great thing, but in comparison, the Nano really outshines it in terms of the "gimme that" factor.

cube
Sep 8, 2007, 03:13 PM
I haven't seen them in person, but they are such marvels of technology that they are hard to resist, even for someone who doesn't like to carry more than his phone and has serious doubts about the size of the screen for video.

Although maybe it doesn't make much sense if you have a phone capable of playing H.264 that can take 4GB cards.

djstarrock
Sep 8, 2007, 03:16 PM
I doubt the style at first but now I really like it, I'm going to test them tomorrow

SactoGuy18
Sep 8, 2007, 03:19 PM
I saw them today. The original pictures don't do it justice. Much to my surprise, these are little jewels. Great colors. Fantastic. These will be the hit stocking stuffer of the year.

The 3G nano is one of those devices that you really need to see in person to really appreciate it. That's why I have one now.

By the way, they definitely improved the headphone amplifier section on the new nano; audio sound quality--especially the spoken word--is much-improved over the 2G nano. :)

TheBonk
Sep 8, 2007, 03:24 PM
I agree, you really need to see them in person. A camera can't capture the beauty of these things.

SoldOutMatinee
Sep 8, 2007, 04:07 PM
Most definitely. Ugly little things on screen but when I saw 'em at the Apple Store I was really blown away at how nice they were and at how thin these things are getting.

AirborneAngel
Sep 8, 2007, 04:12 PM
On the apple website they look chubby and squeezed, but in person they are brilliant!

mashinhead
Sep 8, 2007, 05:43 PM
Most definitely. Ugly little things on screen but when I saw 'em at the Apple Store I was really blown away at how nice they were and at how thin these things are getting.

Agreed. I kind of like the green one and the black one. But i'm thinking a silver one, that has a black click wheel, would be a great match for an iMac.

sananda
Sep 8, 2007, 06:14 PM
i really didn't like the photos/mockups of the nano that were leaked, and then i didn't the apple photos when it was released. but then i held one today and i really like it. i want one. but i have no need of another ipod!

AppleFan08
Sep 8, 2007, 06:15 PM
Yea i went and played with the new nanos last night. I couldnt believe how damn thin those things are! I love the new slick interface and the colors. But alas! I will not be tempted to buy one. My money is going to the 16gig touch on the 28th!

BTW, i talked to a few employees at the store last night about when they are expecting the touch in, he said the 28th (as i suggested) but he also said there is a possibility of them coming in a day or so earlier (as was his experience with previous ipods) So if your going to do like me and go to your local apple store on the 28th when it opens and buy one, call first to make sure. He told me to hit #5 on your phone to talk to a real human in the store. I hate those automated phone trees!

Koodauw
Sep 8, 2007, 06:27 PM
I dislike the new nanos. I think they look ugly, (even though they are super thin, i will give you that.) Plus who wants to watch video on that small of a screen. To me the 2G nano hits its market much better. I'm sad to see it gone.

I love the new design of the iPod classic. Simple and elegant, big screen, and easy to use touch controls. It wasn't updated much, but after 5 revisions, it may be darn near perfect.

boganrulz
Sep 8, 2007, 06:58 PM

I also had a look at the "Classics". Definitely nice, but I prefer my black 5.5. The Classic certainly fills a niche, and 160GBs of storage is a great thing, but in comparison, the Nano really outshines it in terms of the "gimme that" factor.

I dont know why people didnt like them in the first place :confused:. Im my opinion they look great. And i have only seen th photos and keynote. If i didnt have a 5.5 gen iPod 'classic' (i think they could have come up with a better name) i would buy one.

mkrishnan
Sep 8, 2007, 07:00 PM
I'm curious to see one in person too... I don't have strong feelings either way (except that I find the colors bland, but only from judging from online images so far).

zelmo
Sep 8, 2007, 07:10 PM
Saw one at BB tonight. I was really more impressed than I expected to be. You really do need to see one in person to appreciate the form factor. And the colors look way better in person, too.
Now, where's my damn 64GB iPod touch?:mad::p

Spiffyis5150
Sep 8, 2007, 07:24 PM
Gotta agree that the pics don't do these Nanos justice. I spent a couple of hours messing around this morning at the Apple Store this morning(of which I messed around a lot with the new iPods). The new Nanos really are sweet and my wife is thrilled to know that there's one coming her way to replace her current pink Nano this Christmas. If these things had more storage(16GB or 32GB) on them, I would have picked one up today myself. You really need to see these things in person to see how cool they are. It totally changed my opinion.

maccam
Sep 8, 2007, 07:31 PM
Would you guys stop!!! ;) You're driving me insane cause mine isn't coming until Tuesday or Wednesday!!! ARRGG!

10th Wonder
Sep 8, 2007, 07:38 PM
I knew this was gonna happen people was bashing them left and right. Now they are all saying wow this is a marvel to look at now! Also one thing I noticed is that both the iPod Nano & Classic has superb sound quality over the past generation of iPods. I was at 60% and it was really loud! Another thing that I noticed was the iPod Classic in cover flow while listening to music skipped alot while browsing.

zap2
Sep 8, 2007, 07:43 PM
Yes, I like it looks great!

Although I have friends who disagree..maybe they'll change there mind when they see it!

Richard.John
Sep 8, 2007, 07:50 PM
The (PRODUCT) RED is gorgeous. Almost cherry red/pink.

Spiffyis5150
Sep 8, 2007, 08:00 PM
Also one thing I noticed is that both the iPod Nano & Classic has superb sound quality over the past generation of iPods. I was at 60% and it was really loud! Another thing that I noticed was the iPod Classic in cover flow while listening to music skipped alot while browsing.

I had the same observations. The sound quality is excellent on both and I'm hoping that Apple works on the skipping with CoverFlow on the Classic. I tried several different Classics at the store today and they all did it. They were all 80GB Classics and my Apple store didn't have the 160Gb ones yet. I got one of the Apple sales peeps to listen and he couldn't explain it of course. Hopefully the new software these just needs some tuning. The new Nanos didn't have the same skipping problem.

peter32892
Sep 8, 2007, 08:08 PM
I love the new I pod nano I just got back from the mall with my black 8gig woot!

10th Wonder
Sep 8, 2007, 08:16 PM
I wonder if this is mainly due to HD problems or not? If the Nano didn't experience that problem then it could be software latency problem that it is experiencing then. Because I felt that the Classic's were slower than Nano's were in repsonse of the click wheel.

peter32892
Sep 8, 2007, 09:18 PM
I went to the apple store knowing I was going to buy a ipod nano but I just wanted to see the new classics because I always go to the apple store to see new products and I agree the ipod classic was very sluggish like some times the click wheel didn't even work and I tried a number of the ipod classics there so it wasn't just one because I thought it could be. Then I went and used the nano and it was running really smooth yeah coverflow isn't the best but it is amazing to see something like that coming from such a small device like the new nano. But yeah I cans say I love my new nano. just wish there was some good cases for it.

Kirbdog
Sep 8, 2007, 10:17 PM
I told myself that I did not need a new iPod of any type. I really like the iPod touch but I really want/need more storage than 16GB.
The new Nano looks incredible but I have a perfectly good 1G nano I use all the time. Shortly after the new iPods were announced by room mate came home and told me he lost his MP3 player. I quickly sold him my old black nano and ordered a new 8GB Black nano.
It all made perfectly good sense to me at the time. :)

SkyBell
Sep 8, 2007, 10:36 PM
I'm asking my parents for the 4 Gb one for christmas. Don't know If I'll get it, but it would be great.

Alloye
Sep 8, 2007, 11:28 PM
I went to look at the iPod classic today and thought it was quite nice. But I have to admit the new iPod nano is one sweet little device. As soon as you hold one in your hand, the design suddenly makes sense. Plus I thought the 204 dpi display was very nice.

iPhonePlaya
Sep 8, 2007, 11:34 PM
im going to my local apple store tomorrow to check them out im going to wait till my iphone rebate comes or whatever to get one

10th Wonder
Sep 9, 2007, 01:48 AM
I loved the nano but the color's to me was bleehhh! The only nice one's were the silver/blue/black Nano's. But I think i'll stick with the iTouch instead of the classic ipods. Scary thing is i haven't had a nano since the 1g nano's or and ipod. So it's been quite boring with out having an ipod as of lately.

Another thing I must applause apple for is that I have never tried out their new ear bud's until today. I was shocked that they fitted my ears perfectly unlike the ones be4!

eXan
Sep 9, 2007, 02:14 AM
I had the same observations. The sound quality is excellent on both and I'm hoping that Apple works on the skipping with CoverFlow on the Classic. I tried several different Classics at the store today and they all did it. They were all 80GB Classics and my Apple store didn't have the 160Gb ones yet. I got one of the Apple sales peeps to listen and he couldn't explain it of course. Hopefully the new software these just needs some tuning. The new Nanos didn't have the same skipping problem.

This probably because iether iPod's CPU is too slow to simultaneously decode music and render CoverFlow, or the HD that cant keep up with streaming music and loading artworks at the same time.

mosx
Sep 9, 2007, 02:34 AM
I love the new nano.

I wasn't too crazy about the pictures.

But then I saw it in the Apple store.

I ended up walking out with a black nano.

Even though I already have an 80GB iPod, I might have to pick up a 160GB iPod classic. Why? http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=MB128LL/A 480p video out over component cables ;) Not as good as my upscaling DVD player, but a great way to carry most, if not all, of your entire media library around and hook it up to an HDTV.

taxman75
Sep 9, 2007, 03:07 AM
Amen to this thread. Because we know that:

1. Whenever a 'leaked' next iPod pic appears, half the people say, "I know it's not real, because Apple wouldn't release something that awful. I have insider knowledge, because I decided that thing is ugly." This time they get to eat their utterly ungrounded aesthetic assessments.
2. Absolutely any electronic starts to look good after it passes through the Jobs RDF.
3. Tall and slim beat short and wide, it's true. However: video on a bigger screen trumps that completely. What were they going to make, a tongue depressor with a little screen on the end?
4. These are the best nano colors yet... just ask a girl.

Loge
Sep 9, 2007, 04:24 AM
I think they look fine from the front, but I'd have preferred an all round alu enclosure like the 2G nanos had, to those shiny backs.

mavis
Sep 9, 2007, 10:55 AM
I think they look fine from the front, but I'd have preferred an all round alu enclosure like the 2G nanos had, to those shiny backs.

Ditto. One step forward, five steps back! I hate that shiny, scratch-magnet chrome ... :mad:

iPhonePlaya
Sep 9, 2007, 03:53 PM
i saw the nanos today and they are so unbelievable small and thin i cant wait to get one

the colors dont really look like how they do online , the red looks kind of pink

j/k/Andy
Sep 9, 2007, 04:12 PM
I have a 4GB model and it is just awsome. Upgraded from a 1 gen nano, the new screen is just amazing, and only $149!

Purchased it for the 20+ hour battery life for books and podcasts but I think that I will try some TV shows too, just a great product.

Still wonder how it can play back video smoother then my powerbook G4 :rolleyes:

twoodcc
Sep 9, 2007, 05:03 PM
yeah i gotta see one of these in person

SactoGuy18
Sep 9, 2007, 09:44 PM
Still wonder how it can play back video smoother then my powerbook G4 :rolleyes:

Simple: there's no real operating system overhead during the playback, as all the video processing is done by the onboard circuitry and firmware in the player.

milo
Sep 10, 2007, 01:38 PM
I dislike the new nanos. I think they look ugly, (even though they are super thin, i will give you that.)

Have you seen one in person?

Bubbasteve
Sep 10, 2007, 01:48 PM
I'm tempted to get an 8GB version and I have an 8GB iPhone...I still haven't figured out my logic yet

iPhonePlaya
Sep 10, 2007, 04:42 PM
I'm tempted to get an 8GB version and I have an 8GB iPhone...I still haven't figured out my logic yet

im thinking the exact same thing

petvas
Sep 10, 2007, 05:06 PM
im thinking the exact same thing

Well, I have the iPod Touch (16GB) on order but I am also thinking of getting the iPod Nano 8GB Model also! Maybe we need to see a doctor! :)))

vanzskater272
Sep 10, 2007, 05:21 PM
I saw them in person yesterday and they are amazing. My only complaint is that the click wheel is too small. I was at bestbuy for a whole hour just trying to decide if I should just buy the nano or but the money twoards a hasselblad. in the end I didnt buy one. But yes they are amazing

iPhonePlaya
Sep 10, 2007, 05:24 PM
i think im going to get the 8gb nano and then the 80gb classic for christmas lol i see no need in getting an ipod touch if you have an iphone just more space

Sdao
Sep 10, 2007, 07:04 PM
I just picked up a brand new silver 8 gig nano, but im going to be returning it within the next 2 weeks as the screen is crooked. This is the 2nd nano i've had, both with crooked screens.

I'll return it and see if I can get a black one instead.

Anybody else have the crooked screen issue?

rfrankl
Sep 10, 2007, 07:26 PM
Mine is ever so slightly crooked as well.

ctakim
Sep 10, 2007, 09:59 PM
I hate to sound like a broken record, but I hated the photos that were leaked of the fat Nano. I have an 8GB iPhone and a 60 GB Photo and I had no intention of getting an iPod this past weekend. Then, I held the iPond nano in my hand. It is short, impossibly thin and incredibly small. Well, long story short, now I have a blue nano, too (for the family to use of course!).

Victim of the Jobsian Reality Distortion Field (and loving it!):D

kevinliu4
Sep 11, 2007, 09:15 AM
Ever since the 5th, I have been agonizing over getting the classic or touch. And for the record, I don't need an iPod. I just wanted one! And admittedly, I was one of those who slammed the design of the fatty when pictures of it first emerged.

I saw the nano the other day and it is anything but fat. I was blown away by it. It is absolutely stunning. It was never a consideration as I was convinced 8GB was too small.

I saw it again in the shop window today and I just had to have it. Having brought it home and played around with it tonight, I am extremely happy with my decision. It is so cool and so tiny! The screen is smaller than my 5G iPod but the screen is arguably crisper and brighter. The UI is very nice and runs very smoothly.

I guess in some ways, the decision wasn't too difficult as I bought it purely as a toy. Having just finished loading my newest couple of cds and must-have albums on it, I'm also happy to see I'm just a tad over 2GB with plenty of room for new content. I have a feeling my 5G iPod is gonna be collecting some dust for a while.

If you are even considering the nano, get it right away. It's an absolute marvel.

sushi
Sep 11, 2007, 09:23 AM
Isn't that the truth.

The leaked pictures looked terrible. And they looked like they were made of plastic. The all metal construction is fantastic.

twoodcc
Sep 11, 2007, 01:57 PM
Well, I have the iPod Touch (16GB) on order but I am also thinking of getting the iPod Nano 8GB Model also! Maybe we need to see a doctor! :)))

yeah, I think I need to see a doctor. I have a 1st gen and 2nd gen nano, a 60 gb video iPod, and an iPhone, and I still want a new nano