Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netdog

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
London
I saw them today. The original pictures don't do it justice. Much to my surprise, these are little jewels. Great colors. Fantastic. These will be the hit stocking stuffer of the year.

I also had a look at the "Classics". Definitely nice, but I prefer my black 5.5. The Classic certainly fills a niche, and 160GBs of storage is a great thing, but in comparison, the Nano really outshines it in terms of the "gimme that" factor.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I haven't seen them in person, but they are such marvels of technology that they are hard to resist, even for someone who doesn't like to carry more than his phone and has serious doubts about the size of the screen for video.

Although maybe it doesn't make much sense if you have a phone capable of playing H.264 that can take 4GB cards.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
I saw them today. The original pictures don't do it justice. Much to my surprise, these are little jewels. Great colors. Fantastic. These will be the hit stocking stuffer of the year.

The 3G nano is one of those devices that you really need to see in person to really appreciate it. That's why I have one now.

By the way, they definitely improved the headphone amplifier section on the new nano; audio sound quality--especially the spoken word--is much-improved over the 2G nano. :)

TheBonk

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2007
Chicago
I agree, you really need to see them in person. A camera can't capture the beauty of these things.

SoldOutMatinee

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2007
Las Vegas
Most definitely. Ugly little things on screen but when I saw 'em at the Apple Store I was really blown away at how nice they were and at how thin these things are getting.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
Most definitely. Ugly little things on screen but when I saw 'em at the Apple Store I was really blown away at how nice they were and at how thin these things are getting.

Agreed. I kind of like the green one and the black one. But i'm thinking a silver one, that has a black click wheel, would be a great match for an iMac.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
i really didn't like the photos/mockups of the nano that were leaked, and then i didn't the apple photos when it was released. but then i held one today and i really like it. i want one. but i have no need of another ipod!

AppleFan08

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2007
Yea i went and played with the new nanos last night. I couldnt believe how damn thin those things are! I love the new slick interface and the colors. But alas! I will not be tempted to buy one. My money is going to the 16gig touch on the 28th!

BTW, i talked to a few employees at the store last night about when they are expecting the touch in, he said the 28th (as i suggested) but he also said there is a possibility of them coming in a day or so earlier (as was his experience with previous ipods) So if your going to do like me and go to your local apple store on the 28th when it opens and buy one, call first to make sure. He told me to hit #5 on your phone to talk to a real human in the store. I hate those automated phone trees!

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I dislike the new nanos. I think they look ugly, (even though they are super thin, i will give you that.) Plus who wants to watch video on that small of a screen. To me the 2G nano hits its market much better. I'm sad to see it gone.

I love the new design of the iPod classic. Simple and elegant, big screen, and easy to use touch controls. It wasn't updated much, but after 5 revisions, it may be darn near perfect.

boganrulz

macrumors member
May 27, 2007
Finally People accept the nanos.

I also had a look at the "Classics". Definitely nice, but I prefer my black 5.5. The Classic certainly fills a niche, and 160GBs of storage is a great thing, but in comparison, the Nano really outshines it in terms of the "gimme that" factor.

I dont know why people didnt like them in the first place :confused:. Im my opinion they look great. And i have only seen th photos and keynote. If i didnt have a 5.5 gen iPod 'classic' (i think they could have come up with a better name) i would buy one.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm curious to see one in person too... I don't have strong feelings either way (except that I find the colors bland, but only from judging from online images so far).

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Saw one at BB tonight. I was really more impressed than I expected to be. You really do need to see one in person to appreciate the form factor. And the colors look way better in person, too.
Now, where's my damn 64GB iPod touch?:mad::p

Spiffyis5150

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Gotta agree that the pics don't do these Nanos justice. I spent a couple of hours messing around this morning at the Apple Store this morning(of which I messed around a lot with the new iPods). The new Nanos really are sweet and my wife is thrilled to know that there's one coming her way to replace her current pink Nano this Christmas. If these things had more storage(16GB or 32GB) on them, I would have picked one up today myself. You really need to see these things in person to see how cool they are. It totally changed my opinion.

maccam

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2007
Wisconsin
Would you guys stop!!! ;) You're driving me insane cause mine isn't coming until Tuesday or Wednesday!!! ARRGG!

10th Wonder

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Boston, Ma... Missing 757
I knew this was gonna happen people was bashing them left and right. Now they are all saying wow this is a marvel to look at now! Also one thing I noticed is that both the iPod Nano & Classic has superb sound quality over the past generation of iPods. I was at 60% and it was really loud! Another thing that I noticed was the iPod Classic in cover flow while listening to music skipped alot while browsing.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Yes, I like it looks great!

Although I have friends who disagree..maybe they'll change there mind when they see it!

Spiffyis5150

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Also one thing I noticed is that both the iPod Nano & Classic has superb sound quality over the past generation of iPods. I was at 60% and it was really loud! Another thing that I noticed was the iPod Classic in cover flow while listening to music skipped alot while browsing.

I had the same observations. The sound quality is excellent on both and I'm hoping that Apple works on the skipping with CoverFlow on the Classic. I tried several different Classics at the store today and they all did it. They were all 80GB Classics and my Apple store didn't have the 160Gb ones yet. I got one of the Apple sales peeps to listen and he couldn't explain it of course. Hopefully the new software these just needs some tuning. The new Nanos didn't have the same skipping problem.

10th Wonder

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Boston, Ma... Missing 757
I wonder if this is mainly due to HD problems or not? If the Nano didn't experience that problem then it could be software latency problem that it is experiencing then. Because I felt that the Classic's were slower than Nano's were in repsonse of the click wheel.

peter32892

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2006
I went to the apple store knowing I was going to buy a ipod nano but I just wanted to see the new classics because I always go to the apple store to see new products and I agree the ipod classic was very sluggish like some times the click wheel didn't even work and I tried a number of the ipod classics there so it wasn't just one because I thought it could be. Then I went and used the nano and it was running really smooth yeah coverflow isn't the best but it is amazing to see something like that coming from such a small device like the new nano. But yeah I cans say I love my new nano. just wish there was some good cases for it.

Kirbdog

macrumors regular
Tried to resist

I told myself that I did not need a new iPod of any type. I really like the iPod touch but I really want/need more storage than 16GB.
The new Nano looks incredible but I have a perfectly good 1G nano I use all the time. Shortly after the new iPods were announced by room mate came home and told me he lost his MP3 player. I quickly sold him my old black nano and ordered a new 8GB Black nano.
It all made perfectly good sense to me at the time. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.