PDA

View Full Version : IngramMicro PowerBook Stock

MacRumors
Aug 15, 2003, 04:55 PM
IngramMicro (major distributor) has no 15" PowerBooks in stock and very low stocks of 12" PowerBooks.

smartperson
Aug 15, 2003, 05:06 PM
Umm...yay?

Only time will tell now...why can't Tuesday get here faster!

arn
Aug 15, 2003, 05:15 PM
yeah, doesn't necessarily mean anything by itself.

People like pointing to stock.... but in reality, people have said the Powerbook stock is low for months now.

arn

Hawthorne
Aug 15, 2003, 05:18 PM
The current shipping date showing on Apple.com is 5-7 business days.

The game is afoot.

FriarTuck
Aug 15, 2003, 05:26 PM
Like the broken clock and the blind squirrel, we fumble onward week by week, confident that at some point we will be proved EXACTLY RIGHT in predicting new PowerBooks are arriving NEXT WEEK.

Ah, well. Nothing wrong with a little glimmer of hope going into the weekend.

alia
Aug 15, 2003, 06:10 PM
*sigh* I'm just sick of waiting!!!! I need it to be released so that I can start lobbying my boyfriend. :)

He doesn't want me to spend the money on it. I've been wearing him down for the last few months, but it would be a lot easier if the machine was actually available. :)

(btw, it's my money I'd be spending, not his!)

Alia

daveL
Aug 15, 2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by alia
(btw, it's my money I'd be spending, not his!)

Alia
So, then, the decision is made. :)

DHagan4755
Aug 15, 2003, 06:36 PM
I'm getting pessimistic...if Think Secret or eWeek or C|Net don't even have a story on it (like they usually do near these types of things) it may not be for real... :(

arn
Aug 15, 2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by DHagan4755
I'm getting pessimistic...if Think Secret or eWeek or C|Net don't even have a story on it (like they usually do near these types of things) it may not be for real... :(

I think people still are taking Page 2 rumors too seriously. ;)

And interpret too much into posts like this.

IngramMicro stocks are low: true.

That doesn't necessarily translate into "PowerBooks are definitely coming!"

arn

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 08:12 PM
Well, a droplet of water may not in itself be much...but once they start adding up, you get yourself a nice little pond. :)

DHagan4755
Aug 15, 2003, 08:38 PM
What I think:

<rant>There have been a lot of people waiting for a hell of a long time -- myself included -- for an update to the PB's and not one solid shred of evidence has come forward. You can have all the "stocks are low" and "French and Japenese rumor sites are reporting" all you want. Fact of the matter is the truly credible channels of information have been puckered up tighter than a frog's ass. Those of us waiting are sucking on fumes. Anything. Any word, hint, subtlety, nuance that PowerBooks are indeed on their way. We've been in a desert of rumors. Dry. And any sip or drop of water, we're all over it. (Sorry for the second water reference in this thread). Heaven help the losers, like me and everyone else here, who, on a daily basis patrol forums and rumor sites for any clue on when PowerBook updates are coming! </rant>

LegionCSUF
Aug 15, 2003, 09:14 PM
As has been pointed out elsewhere, the outfitting of Best Buy stores nationwide (over 500 stores in the U.S. + online storefront - stores that were not carrying ANY stock before) with Apple products has unquestionably led to lower stock, regardless of it anything else is up.

Powerbook stock was somewhat low already, and we have to expect it to become VERY low during such a process.

My 12" PB was pushed back an extra week and I thought it was indicative of PB updates, but it finally shipped, and now I'm less "optimistic". Seems to me like they're just genuinely low on stock, and the whole Best Buy thing may well be a key reason why.

miradu
Aug 15, 2003, 09:20 PM
If you take a look at macprices's 15 inch stock.. less than 25% of retailers have 15 inch powerbooks in stock. If the supply chain is out of stock, and the retailers have sold off what they have, apple isn't giving new powerbooks to anyone. Stock alone isn't a good rumor - 25% of stores not having stock (like the 12 inch) doesn't mean much, but when you have more than 75% of all stores it is very unhealthy for the market.

Apple only stocked about 100 best buy stores with powerbooks. It would be reasonable to say that each store only got 5-10 of each model.. 500-1000 isn't a lot of stock when you sell hundreds of thousands of units a year.

No company would ever let this stock get this low unless they have a reason.

cb911
Aug 15, 2003, 10:15 PM
yadda, yadda, yadda... you can look at stock all you want, but Apple has been shipping at 5-7 days for what seems like the past month or so. the ship times has increased, but low stock reports doesn't mean that Apple won't release new PowerBooks until every last unit is sold out.

sure looking at the stock has it's place, but it's not as big a deal as people like to make out. i'm more interested in the sites that report on actual dates/production/and facts.

Snowy_River
Aug 16, 2003, 12:56 AM
What I think:

<rant>There have been a lot of people waiting for a hell of a long time -- myself included -- for an update to the PB's and not one solid shred of evidence has come forward.... </rant>

Not to put too fine a point on it, but it is your choice to wait. The current PowerBooks are fine machines, and if you need a new PowerBook, then by all means get one now. If you don't need a new PowerBook, but you want to wait for the updated 'Books, then do so and don't blame Apple for your choices. I'm quite sure that Apple is doing their best to get new, updated PowerBooks out as soon as they can.

This may well be legacy Moto issues, so I'd say we can look forward to fewer such problems once the PowerBooks move to the G5 and beyond. Until then, take what's available or wait, just don't whine about it...

P.S. Sorry about my own rant. I just get sick and tired of people whining...

mim
Aug 16, 2003, 01:48 AM
What I think:

<rant>There have been a lot of people waiting for a hell of a long time -- myself included -- for an update to the PB's and not one solid shred of evidence has come forward. You can have all the "stocks are low" and "French and Japenese rumor sites are reporting" all you want. Fact of the matter is the truly credible channels of information have been puckered up tighter than a frog's ass. Those of us waiting are sucking on fumes. Anything. Any word, hint, subtlety, nuance that PowerBooks are indeed on their way. We've been in a desert of rumors. Dry. And any sip or drop of water, we're all over it. (Sorry for the second water reference in this thread). Heaven help the losers, like me and everyone else here, who, on a daily basis patrol forums and rumor sites for any clue on when PowerBook updates are coming! </rant>

What! Don't you know?! They're coming on not necessarily this Tuesday!!

And those water references washed straight over me.

mxpiazza
Aug 16, 2003, 02:07 AM
yeah... like many of you, i am so sick of hearing this. on 6/23, i called in sick to work, and parked my butt in front of the macrumors moderated irc chat hoping for the announcement of new powerbooks. instead, i fell in love with the g5, slept on the buy-or-wait decision for a night, and ordered the g5 the next day. as happy as i am to be the proud owner of a dual g5 shipping in now officially less than 2 weeks, i still lust for that portability, and wish that apple would be more forthcoming with their timetable for updates. my friend just bought a 12" pb two weeks ago, against my advisment, just because school for him starts the monday after this upcoming one and he needed a computer. you would think apple would want to announce the new books in time for school, but i'm sure the education crowd just cleared out the channel in time for the new books to come in... which is good for apple, but not good for the general masses. i don't know... what i do know is that apple loves keeping their hand so close that they themselves can barely see the cards they hold, and their level of secrecy can just straight up get a consumer ticked off... i mean, i don't have thousands of dollars to spend on a machine that's going to be updated in a couple of days (whatever... 10 day return policy, i know), and i doubt many people do. i realize that the computer world is ever-growing, and computers are 'outdated the second you turn it on'... but you buy a top-of-the-line computer 11 days before the announcement you would have waited for, and see how happy you are, or would be. i don't know why this makes me so mad, because my g5 is coming... but whatever.

i'm going to stop rambling....... now.

go browns.

LegionCSUF
Aug 16, 2003, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by mxpiazza
go browns.

Now see, you had me right up until that point.

mxpiazza
Aug 16, 2003, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by LegionCSUF
Now see, you had me right up until that point.

lol, come on! you're from cali, not pittsburgh, so you can't hate the loveable losers, not until they beat a team of yours in the playoffs... ok, so maybe we'll try this:

go lebron?

mxpiazza
Aug 16, 2003, 02:59 AM
also, i just got my power back on, and i still can't take a shower... so give me a break.

neutrino23
Aug 16, 2003, 03:45 AM
I'm getting pessimistic...... :(

Only now???? What's kept you optimistic for the last four months when there were no PBs in May? No PBs at WWDC? No PBs at MWNY? When there were no PBs after innumerable hints and rumors all over the web, what finally pushed you over the edge? The image I get is of someone dragging themselves across the desert. From time to time they glimpse a vision of a cool oasis with water, palm trees and boxes of new 15" Al PowerBooks. Each time they jump up and race toward the vision only to find it was a mirage. Finally, they start feeling pessimistic that any one of these mirages will prove true. Sigh.

rpp3po
Aug 16, 2003, 04:05 AM
I have actually heard from confirmed sources that there will never be any PowerBook updates again.

tom.96
Aug 16, 2003, 04:08 AM
Looking at macwarehouse.co.uk, they are out of stock of 15" and 12"s, but they have 180 17" machines in stock! This puzzles me somewhat. Surely if the 12 and 15 are upgraded, then the 17 will have to be at least upgraded to 15 level. If this is the case, and if they are coming soon, then what are they going to do with 180 old 17" powerbooks?

I'm just a bit puzzled as to why they have so many in stock when new models are supposedly imminent!

Powerbook G5
Aug 16, 2003, 09:19 AM
They can donate them to me, of course. :)

mxpiazza
Aug 16, 2003, 09:38 AM
180 powerbooks, $300 - $500 less than just released models but still quite nice as they are, WILL be moved. it's not a big deal.

smartperson
Aug 16, 2003, 10:37 AM
Even if they're shipping in 3 months (which I hope they aren't), an announcement would be a very nice thing for me.

Serenity Now! Serenity Now!

Er...forget serentiy!

Powerbook Now! Serenity...Later!

LegionCSUF
Aug 16, 2003, 03:46 PM
lol, come on! you're from cali, not pittsburgh, so you can't hate the loveable losers, not until they beat a team of yours in the playoffs...

Well, I hate the California teams.

I cheer for Jacksonville.

It was always fun to whip the Browns. Jacksonville's won 7 of 9 vs. Cleveland, though a pair of those come from the old Browns franchise.

But here's a friendly hint anyway: START HOLCOMB.

joeyjojoe
Aug 16, 2003, 03:57 PM
I'm getting sick of people blaming Motorola. Its not like the company is terrible, or that they have incompetent engineers working there. I would say most of you don't even know the kind of engineering that goes into designing/verifying/processing chips. Motorola may be having problems with this particular chip design (if the random rumors are true), but it doesn't mean they can't do anything right. Stop blaming the outsourced companies for shortfalls from Apple (if you truly consider the lack of powerbook as a shortfall).

Second, I'm sick of people saying Steve Jobs would really hate this, or Steve Jobs owes us that. He isn't the whole company, so stop making Apple a personification of one man.

Finally, yes I am also waiting for a Powerbook (anxiously at that) and will be ecstatic if it comes out on Tuesday.

chazmox
Aug 16, 2003, 08:07 PM
Have you ever worked at Mot? I have ( for seven years ) and my wife still does. Most of the comments about Motorola are fairly accurate. It really is a company that has lost it's way.

Alexander
Aug 16, 2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by chazmox
Have you ever worked at Mot? I have ( for seven years ) and my wife still does.

Nope. Q: Do you pronounce that "mot" (rhymes with dot) or "mote" (rhymes with note)?

chazmox
Aug 17, 2003, 01:19 AM
"Mote"

Snowy_River
Aug 17, 2003, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by chazmox
"Mote"

As in "The Mote in God's Eye"

:D

mvc
Aug 17, 2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by rpp3po
I have actually heard from confirmed sources that there will never be any PowerBook updates again.

No, they are planning to rename it the VapourBook :p

Bascule
Aug 17, 2003, 11:20 AM
Just another low stock announcement.

I was sitting here wondering who else I kew that stocked Apple.

Just checked out John Lewis (www.johnlewis.co.uk) which are a fairly upmarket UK based department store. According to the online store
they have no 15"'s (both models) 7 17" 's no 12" combos and 2 12" supdrives.

Again stock isnt a great indicator but its interesting.
(that said Ive no idea what normal stock levels they carry.)

A Tuesday update would be good as it would stop me beeing tempted by referbed 15" PB's on Wednesday:+)

aristo
Aug 17, 2003, 11:50 AM
All 17" models available in large quantities, low end 12" (Combodrive) will be back in stock 08/18, 12" with superdrive is available as is the 15" with 876MHz/265MB. The 15" at 1GHz is n/a but supposed to arrive 08/22. Doesn't feel like updates are on their way.

mxpiazza
Aug 17, 2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by LegionCSUF
But here's a friendly hint anyway: START HOLCOMB.

just announced as the browns starter today at a 6pm et news conference.... kelly holcomb is the browns starter.

maybe they read your post?

iLilana
Aug 17, 2003, 06:58 PM
you know what really sucks?

I work for a computer shop and our wholesale supplier is ingram. Because we don't sell mac stuff i can' order any at those fantastic wholesale rates. I can order ANYTHING else. i think anyone should be able to retail macs. Apple, oddly... the only company that limits itself.. on purpose.

DHagan4755
Aug 17, 2003, 07:21 PM
If they don't come soon, I'm going to throw in the towel and start swearing my head off.

LegionCSUF
Aug 17, 2003, 09:18 PM
just announced as the browns starter today at a 6pm et news conference.... kelly holcomb is the browns starter.

maybe they read your post?

Good for them. The Browns are no longer a division rival of the Jaguars, so I no longer have to hate them. You guys can pound on Pittsburgh and Baltimore all you want.

It says something that Holcomb gets the nod over the guy with the big contract. Just goes to show how MUCH better Holcomb is. A tie would've gone to Couch, no question.

LegionCSUF
Aug 17, 2003, 09:26 PM
It's Sunday. The supposed new products are supposed to release Tuesday. And still not a whisper from any "legit" news source.

Things seem a lot quieter and a lot less promising than a few days ago when the rumor mill was in full swing.

tizza
Aug 17, 2003, 10:24 PM
"After this year the laptop will no longer exist, as we're not upgrading or restocking so make the most of it because this is the LAST year you can buy a new Apple laptop!"

Felix_the_Mac
Aug 18, 2003, 03:55 AM
PCWorld UK has no 15" powerbooks.
MacWarehouse has no 15" powerbooks.
Dabs.co.uk has no 15" powerbooks.

These are all major UK outlets.

Fingers crossed!

NoPrideELF
Aug 18, 2003, 04:24 PM
QUOTE]Originally posted by DHagan4755
I'm getting pessimistic...if Think Secret or eWeek or C|Net don't even have a story on it (like they usually do near these types of things) it may not be for real... :( [/QUOTE]

Obviously I know that when you wrote this, you were right, but now think secret does have the story. This Week! Hopes up, and everything crossed because they don't miss. Second, and more importantly, i must concur with DHagan, because swearing my head off after tomorrow (if no release) will be all the release I need.

AllenPSU
Aug 18, 2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Hawthorne
The current shipping date showing on Apple.com is 5-7 business days.

The game is afoot.

Where does Apple.com post the official shipping time?

Got the answer on a different thread... thanks.

Rocketman
Aug 22, 2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by arn
I think people still are taking Page 2 rumors too seriously. ;)
And interpret too much into posts like this.
IngramMicro stocks are low: true.
That doesn't necessarily translate into "PowerBooks are definitely coming!"
arn

I agree. Before the Al 17 came out I was saying a theater class portable with "raid everywhere". Boom. 17" powerbook debuting FW800 and 802.11g.

I have refrained from ANY statements on the 15" because unlike others I did not conclude that simply because 15" stocks were low that a new release was imminent. What really happened was Apple improved line differentiation by emphasizinng the 12" and 17" and gave polarization a chance to take hold. A common marketing trick to increase sales at both ends as people "pick teams" instead of "choosing other products".

It worked.

Okay so now that initial microPBG4 and MacroPBG4 sales have saturated early adopters including our company, they will do speed bumps, saturate again, then go for G5 versions in mid-late 2004.

But what then is the rumoured "4th release" (after speed bump 12G4, rerelease 15G4 and speed bump 17G4 PB's)?

I say it is the rumoured dual 1.8 ghz Powermac. This is an example of Apple greatly underestimating the sales of duals because they interpolated from prior dual releases. But they did not factor in the perfection of information flowing to consumers that G5's are SMP aware and performance of additional processors is near linear unlike G4's. One would think the very designers/specifiers of "better SMP chips" might have planned for that if only to a small degree. The opposite occured. Powermac marketing should be shot :)

And where are the true workstations? Apple needs premium revenue and that is a really easy way to get it. If only a dual motherboard enclosure with quad processors or a 4U cabinet with 4 X-serves in host/cluster mode. Whatever. A workstation that is "packaged" for all those unix vertical marketers to sell with higher than usual margin for Apple, and them.

That market is accustomed to value added pricing. Exploit that.

Rocketman

http://v-serv.com/-upload/avatar.jpg

Nutzoids
Aug 24, 2003, 12:00 PM
Is there anyone out there who know who long these Rumors about the 15" PowerBook have been going around? I don't think it will ever happen!