Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gazelleintense

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
South of Heaven
I can't post in some forums....cause I'm new here.

and I cant have an avatar until 4,555,555 posts...

but you have banner ads everywhere that Im suppose to use and shop that I'm assuming benefit someone????

seems a little over the top to me.

I suggest lowering the post number for avatars... and since I went through the effort to join, (and gave you my email) letting me have access to the forums. all of them maybe? I dunno, call me crazy.

my .01 cent worth. :confused:

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
You can have an avatar after 500 posts, not 5 million...

Ads are there to help pay for the site.

The idea of not letting you into the Marketplace is so you don't just use the site to sell stuff.

techlover828

macrumors 68020
Jun 28, 2007
Maine
You need 500 posts for an avatar; it's been that way for years and is extremely unlikely to change.

There are no forums blocked to you except the private forum ($25 to become a contributor which has other benefits), but you cannot create threads in the Marketplace until you have 100 posts.

The ads support the income of MacRumors, without which we'd have some problems. ;)

what kind of threads are in the private forums

gazelleintense

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
South of Heaven
You can have an avatar after 500 posts, not 5 million...

Ads are there to help pay for the site.

The idea of not letting you into the Marketplace is so you don't just use the site to sell stuff.

I see your point, just 500 posts seems over the top to me. 100 or 200 seems reasonable...

I don't expect it to be changed, just thought id mention my view of it... since they did have a feedback forum here.

gazelleintense

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
South of Heaven
Sheesh.

Yeah...those ads benefit you. You joined this forum for free, didn't you?

Who gives a crap about an avatar?

Yes, I joined for free. Last I checked there are dozens of free mac forums to pick from.... Use to run one myself years ago.... all forums have different rules, I understand that. Just thought 500 posts was a bit high imho.

avatars are no biggie, they are just fun to have.... I won't lose sleep over it either way. :D

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
I can't post in some forums....cause I'm new here.

and I cant have an avatar until 4,555,555 posts...

but you have banner ads everywhere that Im suppose to use and shop that I'm assuming benefit someone????

seems a little over the top to me.

I suggest lowering the post number for avatars... and since I went through the effort to join, (and gave you my email) letting me have access to the forums. all of them maybe? I dunno, call me crazy.

my .01 cent worth. :confused:

I don't agree i'm a new forum member since june 2007 and i already have a 333 posts (334 after this one) and i have a average of 3.92 posts a day, its not over the top, and for the servers and the work arn and his team do, i rhink the deserve the money... and 100 posts for the marketplace is really not much...

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
There are very sound and valid reasons for the posting requirements in some of the forums, Marketplace and PRSI. It helps to keep down scammers and trolls. Not saying you're either of those, of course.

I believe the admins made the right choice by establishing these requirements. It helps to keep the quality of MR high. It doesn't take long to reach the requirements if you really are determined to participate in the forums.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Most of this has been said before, but just for an official response. :)

The banners benefit the site, and as a result benefit the users.

If the banner ads bother you particularly, you can pay $25 to have them removed.

The post requirements for the Marketplace and Political Forums are to try to limit hit-and-run spammers, and are of the benefit to the community as a whole. If you do plan on sticking around, you will later appreciate that these limits are in place.

The avatar limit is something that we put in place to reward the regulars, and there's been debate about it over the years... but the thinking behind it was that people with avatars are people who have been regulars and are given another method for easy recognition.

arn

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
I think the avatar rule makes sense.
I just miss that I can't find my previous posts in a thread easily like in other forums but that's about it.

But hey, I will reach the 500 mark eventually so till then I'll live without one.
Btw. really nice forum here.

byakuya

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Who gives a crap about an avatar?

You'd be surprised. I didn't even notice I'd hit 500 posts at first. 500 isn't that bad, and it's a nice way to reward people for sticking around (as said) not some right everyone seems to think they deserve just for showing up. Some of us don't even have avatars, and a lot of us haven't updated ours since first joining.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
but you cannot create threads in the Marketplace until you have 100 posts.

Which I happen to think is a bit lax. 200 or 250 would be better and would give that user more time to see how things work around here. Just my opinion though.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I belong to another vBulletin-based forum and you can add an avatar right away but even the worst of them don't tend to spam a lot or act terribly rude. ;)

I can understand how the restrictions seem to a new person but they're in place to keep people from being hurt in a bad deal or to simply join to rant about politics. We had cases of these before the restrictions.

The 500 post count for avatars isn't unreasonable for someone contributing helpful posts.

There are several other Mac-related forums out there, but (with some pride) there are none better, cleaner, or friendlier. We have a unique group of people who encompass most technologically-related jobs and many who just enjoy using their iPod or Mac.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
I think the 500 post thing is reasonable. It encourages participation in the forums. It also gives current members even more reason to come back (makes you feel appreciated, like you've positively contributed) and gives newbies the motivation to continue. I was very excited when granted an avatar!

The marketplace thing is very reasonable. Without it we'd have a whole bunch of ZOMG FREE IPHONE CLICK HERE threads.

I'm not ready to join the private forums just yet, but I may do so in the future. And the banners don't bother me. Without it, MR Wouldn't exist. You think live keynote updates come cheap?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I agree with the rules as they stand for all the reasons already said. I have nothing more to contribute than my Pokemon styled avatar and cheeky Manc grin :)

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Be thankful this isn't another n00b like some who go "ZOMG why cant i has avatarz?" At least this person actually put some thought into what they posted.

Bravo, mate. :)

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
I agree with leaving the 500 min in place.

As few have said above me, I too am in favor of increasing the min requirements for marketplace and the PRSI forum to 200/250.

That's just me.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Maybe we can bump the avatar size to 80x80. I do agree that 75 is kinda tight.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
what kind of threads are in the private forums

Pay $25 and find out. It's the only way to know.

I second that.. bartelby.. omg i agreed with him .. :eek::eek:

I agree with leaving the 500 min in place.

As few have said above me, I too am in favor of increasing the min requirements for marketplace and the PRSI forum to 200/250.

That's just me.

the bolding part is the section i agree with.. omg, what's happening to me .. Again agreeing wit TDD ..... :eek: :rolleyes:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I second that.. bartelby.. omg i agreed with him .. :eek::eek:

the bolding part is the section i agree with.. omg, what's happening to me .. Again agreeing wit TDD ..... :eek: :rolleyes:
Snap out of it.
smashfreakB.gif

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I don't think making a higher minimum post count is useful. Once they get there, the regular posts tend to diminish. A certain percentage of the posts should be Mac-related to continue in the restricted forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.