PDA

View Full Version : When Could we really expect a G5 laptop?

Cheap-Chopstix
Aug 15, 2003, 10:50 PM
Reasonably when could we expect to see G5 notebooks? We pretty much know it ain't comin out this year. But when could we expect it to come out next year? First quarter of 2004 or closer to 4th quarter 2004. I ask cuz I might wait out gettin my first mac if its expected to come out like mid 2004.

Powerbook G5
Aug 15, 2003, 11:04 PM
Overall belief is that it will come out sometime towards the first half of 2004. Will it? We'll all just have to wait and see. If you can wait, then go ahead, I am sure they will be worth it when they are finally out.

plinkoman
Aug 16, 2003, 03:08 AM
i'm already saving up for one

Squire
Aug 16, 2003, 04:44 AM
Originally posted by plinkoman
i'm already saving up for one

Me, too.

I was just watching the PowerMac G5 movie again. I noticed that the IBM dude said that they had "already built the prototypes for next-generation PowerPC microprocessors."

What exactly does that mean? The PPC 980 or the 90 nm chip we're expecting in the PowerBooks eventually? Or are they one in the same?

Squire

CmdrLaForge
Aug 16, 2003, 05:51 AM
I think that they arrive in February 2004. Don't think that they come out with another G4 revision beside that one next week.

Cheers

LimeiBook86
Aug 16, 2003, 06:13 AM
I am waiting to buy a new PowerBook, old limey here is getting too slow...:( Well I hope the G5 PowerBooks coming out soon, I need more speed....I don't know how long I can last on 466mhz :rolleyes:

Jerry Spoon
Aug 16, 2003, 07:11 AM
After the towers already get a speed bump and the sales of the towers and the soon to be updated pb's drop off just a bit. I think early 2004 is optomistic, but I bet we see them by next fall at the latest...I hope.

john909kid
Aug 16, 2003, 08:13 AM
I think a G5 Powerbook would see the light of day at either Jan Macworld San Fransico or the July Macworld. It'll be such big news that one of these shows would be the ideal platform to launch such a beast. Apple may even be looking to release a slower version of the G5 for powerbooks due to the power drain. A 1Ghz 970 would only need 19watts, according to IBM's figures. This would be more in line with whats needed for a laptop.

Freg3000
Aug 16, 2003, 09:51 AM
How amazing would it be if this Tuesday, when the updated PowerBooks are released (hopefully), they end up being G5 PowerBooks. And the headline on the front page would be: Surprise.

That would be so cool.

But my reality world guess is late 1H 2004.

fred_garvin
Aug 16, 2003, 10:03 AM
We will get the next G4 bump in August, September or October. By October the 15" will be 11 months old, and as someone posted in another thread, Apple has never gone more than 11 months without an update.

Even if we get the new PB's Sept 1, that is only 4 months to MWSF. It is wishful thinking for such a huge update that quickly. Also, IBM getting the .09 970's to Apple in shipping quantities by then is extremely optimistic. The 19 watts someone quoted is for the .13 970. Apple will not use that.

I'm thinking the most likely time is WWDC 2004, either 11 months or 1 year after the g5 desktops were announced. MWNY is no longer, now Mac isn't even in the name anymore. This should be plenty of time for .09 970's to be plentiful, and the motherboards to be refined. This would also be 8-9 months after the pending PB update, which historically is just about right. (Another poster researched that the average time is 7.4 months)

Apple could bring out the dual 3Ghz PowerMac G5, and the single 2Ghz (I'm guessing optimistically) PowerBook G5 in one fell swoop.

On another note, I'm curious how many people would want apple to leave the 1" case for a 1.25 or 1.5" case, if it meant getting newer techologies in faster, like faster superdrive, 128Meg 9600 video card, G5 cpu, etc.

Capt Underpants
Aug 16, 2003, 11:26 AM
I am thinking later on in 2004. Maybe quarter three or four. I sure do hope it is sooner, though.

Powerbook G5
Aug 16, 2003, 11:35 AM
I'd love to wake up on Tuesday, go to Apple.com, and then see "The new PowerBook G5--Who's your daddy now"

sawaguchishinji
Aug 16, 2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Cheap-Chopstix
Reasonably when could we expect to see G5 notebooks? We pretty much know it ain't comin out this year. But when could we expect it to come out next year? First quarter of 2004 or closer to 4th quarter 2004. I ask cuz I might wait out gettin my first mac if its expected to come out like mid 2004.

sawaguchishinji
Aug 16, 2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Squire
Me, too.

I was just watching the PowerMac G5 movie again. I noticed that the IBM dude said that they had "already built the prototypes for next-generation PowerPC microprocessors."

What exactly does that mean? The PPC 980 or the 90 nm chip we're expecting in the PowerBooks eventually? Or are they one in the same?

Squire
In this movie the guy is saying about the G5 PPC970.

bennetsaysargh
Aug 16, 2003, 12:24 PM
well, i think apple i going to release them in mid 2004 or late 2004. there is still 1 or 2 revisions let in the Powerbooks until the G5 i think.
the iBooks will get a case change once it goes G4, which will be after the PB goes G5. i have apple plans all laid out :p:D :cool:

cb911
Aug 16, 2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I'd love to wake up on Tuesday, go to Apple.com, and then see "The new PowerBook G5--Who's your daddy now"

LOL!! :D :D it's going to be sswweeeeettt when the G5 PowerBook gets here. i'm looking forward to that day! :D

LimeiBook86
Aug 16, 2003, 06:25 PM
I like surprises! :D

Come on Apple, surprise us! :)
:rolleyes:

shadowfax
Aug 16, 2003, 07:25 PM
I'd love to wake up on Tuesday, go to Apple.com, and then see "The new PowerBook G5--Who's your daddy now" i can see that at MWSF: Steve comes out smiling broadly, with a normal-looking albook in his hand. the audience is steeped in silence. suddenly, he opens it up, and the screen turns on and says "G5," the full size of the screen. he asks the audience, "who's yo' daddy now, eh?"
"STEVE!!!" they all exclaim. yeah, that would be really funny.

Squire
Aug 16, 2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by sawaguchishinji
In this movie the guy is saying about the G5 PPC970.

Well, actually, my point is that he doesn't specify. He just says that they've "already built the prototypes for next-generation PowerPC microprocessors." True, that video is about the PowerMac G5 and a lot of it deals with the PPC970. However, Dr. Kelly doesn't elaborate on the above comment.

Does "next-generation" refer to an improved PPC970 or to its successor?

Squire

mim
Aug 16, 2003, 09:21 PM
Well, actually, my point is that he doesn't specify. He just says that they've "already built the prototypes for next-generation PowerPC microprocessors." True, that video is about the PowerMac G5 and a lot of it deals with the PPC970. However, Dr. Kelly doesn't elaborate on the above comment.

Squire

I believe he might be talking about the power5. Notice he doesn't say then "next generation PPC's for APPLE" - there are lots of ppc procs that Apple doesn't use. The 970's successor will use tech derived from whatever this chip that IBM's working on is.

I don't think we'll be waiting too long for G5 powerbooks - Apple probably wants them just as much as we do.

plinkoman
Aug 16, 2003, 09:59 PM
it's not like motorola is making the chips or anything, we'll see them by wwdc at the latest

cr2sh
Aug 17, 2003, 08:59 AM
I can see Steve Jobs standing in front of a crowd in January 2004 and saying "365 days ago I told you it would be the year of the laptop.. and I wasn't kidding.." g5 powerbooks will be announced and they'll ship 4months later... that's the way I see it happening.

bennetsaysargh
Aug 17, 2003, 09:43 AM
argh no.
when G5 powerbooks come out, they will definatly have a lot of them ready to ship. it won't be like last time.

*mean while in cupertino*
generic employee-so boss, when do you want to announce the new G5 powerbooks?
jobs-lets wait a few more years, and people will still hold out hahahaha!:p

benixau
Aug 17, 2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by cr2sh
I can see Steve Jobs standing in front of a crowd in January 2004 and saying "365 days ago I told you it would be the year of the laptop.. and I wasn't kidding.." g5 powerbooks will be announced and they'll ship 4months later... that's the way I see it happening.

you know - the idea isnt all that unbelievable. really - year of the notebook computer and SJ giving us mere mortals a G5 'book at the end of it (just to screw the x86 guys for good).

wierd. the more i think about it - the more it seems plausible.

maybe we will get another 'premature specification' :D

jbomber
Aug 17, 2003, 10:38 AM

Personally, I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that there's going to be a G5 powerbook on tuesday, but if there were, that would DEFINITELY be the tagline. :D

cr2sh
Aug 17, 2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by jbomber
I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell

A snowball in hell has some chance.. a g5 powerbook on monday, has no chance. I will eat my 17"PB if it happens.

sawaguchishinji
Aug 17, 2003, 11:07 AM

Squire
But in this situation, he recorded the movie before the G5 announcement so he's saying about the G5 PPC970.

Catt
Aug 17, 2003, 12:15 PM
I think Apple might hurry up its G5 laptop to get one out on the market/announced before AMD's Athlon 64-M which is going to be announced officially in September I think, but when this means we'll see a laptop with the chip in I don't know. So in other words both companies, Apple and AMD, will presumably want to claim first 64-Bit mobile processor, especially Apple as it would add extra advertising and publicity kudos if they can claim both the first commercial 64-Bit Desktop and laptop.

buseman
Aug 17, 2003, 12:32 PM
Remember that the G5 currently has nine fans. Greg Wozniak said in an interview that G5 laptops are a long way off, and it took 18 months for the G4 to be moved into a laptop as well.

If history and common sense serves as a guidance, I'd be surprised if it arrives before 2005.

buseman
Aug 17, 2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by sawaguchishinji
But in this situation, he recorded the movie before the G5 announcement so he's saying about the G5 PPC970.

No, he talks about the 3Ghz chips to be released next year.

sawaguchishinji
Aug 17, 2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by buseman
No, he talks about the 3Ghz chips to be released next year.
How can you be sure?

plinkoman
Aug 17, 2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by buseman
Remember that the G5 currently has nine fans. Greg Wozniak said in an interview that G5 laptops are a long way off, and it took 18 months for the G4 to be moved into a laptop as well.

If history and common sense serves as a guidance, I'd be surprised if it arrives before 2005.

yea, but again, that was with motorola making the chips

mcs37
Sep 17, 2003, 11:51 AM
Now with the release of the updated G4 PowerBook line, it looks certain that we won't be seeing another update for at least 6 months. While I doubt they will go to another revision of the G4 lineup, I am confident that when I graduate from college in May of 2004, I will be able to purchase a G5 PowerBook, probably with an iSight device built-in, running around 1.4 GHz (if not dual). The real question for me is how those 90 nm G5 fabs are coming along. It would be amazing to have a dual G5 15" PowerBook when I graduate!

G4scott
Sep 17, 2003, 12:20 PM
I remember seeing stuff in the news about IBM developing new technologies to make chips smaller, and use less power. There was also the rumor about them going to a .06 wiring process (or something like that), and if they can bring the size, power, and heat down of just the 1.6ghz G5, we could have a very, very nice laptop chip. IBM could even go farther, and take stuff out of the G5 that would be impractical in a laptop, and make a PPC970m, m for mobile. When you think about it, it would make sense. The G5 is only 10% smaller than a desktop P4. It'd be hard to fit a chip of that magnitude in even the 15" PowerBook. And then there's the system controller. The system controller itself has got to be one mother of a chip. I can also make a good guess that that system controller would make a 12" PowerBook running at 100% CPU seem cold. They could take out the PCI-X stuff. Another thing that they might be able to cut down on is the RAM. It'd be hard to implement dual memory banks in a laptop.

I don't know if anything actually needs to be taken out of the G5, but by this time next year, G5 laptops at 1.4, 1.6, and possible 1.8 Ghz might seem plausible. It's just a matter of IBM shrinking the current G5, and cutting down on the power it uses and heat it gives off, and Apple coming up with a way to put this kick-ass processor into a laptop with all the bells and whistles.

My 12" PowerBook is going to have to do throughout the year, and possibly part of next school year, but I'll be working, and saving, because the day the G5 laptops come, I know that I'm going to have to have one :D

I really do have a good feeling about IBM here. You see, IBM can benefit by making these chips for Apple, because they have uses for them too. Motorola really had no real motivation, other than Apple. IBM can make a kick-ass, low power 970, and then use it in blade servers where space is tight, and low amounts of heat are important. They can also use the normal, or top of the line 970's in their other servers, or even use them to make small supercomputer clusters. I imagine they aren't going to forget about their Power5 processor, but the 970 is cheaper, and easier to make, and offers quite a punch. Come on IBM, don't let us down!

cr2sh
Sep 17, 2003, 06:56 PM
I find it interesting that that at the rate of powerbook mhz increase a 1.6GHz g5 is looking more and more like the next revision. Apple wouldn't dare (?) releasing a 1.666GHz g4 in the next revision only to be followed by a 1.6GHz g5. There's clearly other issues involved, but the first g5 laptop will be a 1.6.... right?

Also amazing ot me is that all this time people were complaining with "Whats taking so long with the pb update?" and it hadnt occured to us (me at least) that they were solving the "Waiting for PB" complaint..." they were ready to ship when announced. So I guess we can rest assured that the next g5 update is also a long ways away also, cuz I'm sure Steve got sick of hearing "Wheres my dual g5"?

Which do we prefer, a 4month waiting period between announcement and shipping, or not knowing that theyre coming and then shipping right away?

If you guys can make sense of all that, I'm not sure.. either way. g5 powerbook ~March, April. Just my .02! :D

revenuee
Sep 17, 2003, 07:20 PM
the Ti G4 came out almost 2 years after the initial G4 tower release

that was cause by a heat issue, hence the need to Ti shell

but the acctuall g3 to g4 set up wasn't all the different

look at the inside of that G5 compared to that of a G4, totally different set up, seems that the heat issue is an even bigger problem

Look at those heat sinks over the processor, plus 4 seperate cooling zones?

it's going to take some time before the guys at apple figure out a way to make that work, and still give us a light and small machine.