PDA

View Full Version : "How to Jailbreak the iPod touch"?

BiikeMike
Sep 10, 2007, 10:26 PM
Hack The iPod Touch (http://www.hacktheipodtouch.com/) is advertising that they can jailbreak the iPod Touch and install Mail, Maps, Stocks, Weather, and do other tinkering using iNdependence.

Is this possible? How can they know it will work with the touch not even released yet?

Zwhaler
Sep 10, 2007, 10:31 PM
Thanks for this post, I've been looking for something like this. I am hoping to god it is true, I would be in heaven!

They tell you to do this with an iPhone, I am hoping I can do this without one. I hope they also add the real Calendar, not the crippled one, so it can be added to the iPod touch.

nirvana06
Sep 10, 2007, 10:35 PM
Yup. So easy too. So much for people worrying about those apps missing.

rorschach
Sep 10, 2007, 10:41 PM
Will Jailbreak even be necessary, seeing as the Touch supports disk mode and so you can browse everything right in the Finder?

Unless Apple has somehow done something to lock it down.

BiikeMike
Sep 10, 2007, 10:46 PM
Thanks for this post, I've been looking for something like this. I am hoping to god it is true, I would be in heaven!

They tell you to do this with an iPhone, I am hoping I can do this without one. I hope they also add the real Calendar, not the crippled one, so it can be added to the iPod touch.

That is what I'm hoping. I was going to pre-order, but with all this business going on with the calendar, I'm gonna wait a few days after it comes out and see how easy it is to hack. Then I'll go down to my local Price Club and get one cheaper than the :apple: store with a better warranty :D

OrangeCuse44
Sep 10, 2007, 10:52 PM
terrible posture by that dude in the graphic.

nirvana06
Sep 10, 2007, 10:54 PM
It looks as easy as moving a couple of folders.

BiikeMike
Sep 10, 2007, 10:56 PM
terrible posture by that dude in the graphic.

:p:p

Stang68
Sep 10, 2007, 11:18 PM
yea, but for all of those app directions it says you need the iPhone. I dont have an iPhone, so how am I supposed to be able to copy the files to my Touch??

nirvana06
Sep 10, 2007, 11:21 PM
yea, but for all of those app directions it says you need the iPhone. I dont have an iPhone, so how am I supposed to be able to copy the files to my Touch??

Those will probably be available to download as well.

wakerider017
Sep 10, 2007, 11:30 PM
Do you think we will be able to replace the calendar app with the iPhone version so we can add info?

nirvana06
Sep 11, 2007, 08:44 AM
Do you think we will be able to replace the calendar app with the iPhone version so we can add info?

Most likely. It will be funny when all people who did not buy because of the calendar app or canceled their orders see that it takes two minutes to put iPhone applications on it. Hopefully by the time they realize that Touch will be sold out and they'll have to wait 4-5 more weeks to get it. :)

wakerider017
Sep 11, 2007, 08:47 AM
Most likely. It will be funny when all people who did not buy because of the calendar app or canceled their orders see that it takes two minutes to put iPhone applications on it. Hopefully by the time they realize that Touch will be sold out and they'll have to wait 4-5 more weeks to get it. :)

Pfft, be nice. It is really important for some people I guess...

I really don't care that much as I hardly ever use the app.

Weather, Maps and Notes are what I want!!

EDIT: Question...

Will Maps work with out a WiFi connection? Like can you make driving directions at home, save them on Maps and then take it with you and use it while you are driving?

MacRumorUser
Sep 11, 2007, 08:50 AM
Most likely. It will be funny when all people who did not buy because of the calendar app or canceled their orders see that it takes two minutes to put iPhone applications on it.

Not really. A lot of the people who are not buying an iTouch now, probably don't own an iPhone and therefore would have difficulty getting access to those applications in the first place.

If you already have an iPhone then you probably dont care if the itouch hasnt got all its features either.

Catch 22 situation.

nirvana06
Sep 11, 2007, 08:53 AM
Not really. A lot of the people who are not buying an iTouch now, probably don't own an iPhone and therefore would have difficulty getting access to those applications in the first place.

If you already have an iPhone then you probably dont care if the itouch hasnt got all its features either.

Catch 22 situation.

Difficulty getting access to those applications? Are you serious? Someone will make those available online.

MacRumorUser
Sep 11, 2007, 08:57 AM
Difficulty getting access to those applications? Are you serious? Someone will make those available online.

Using that theory, please point us in the direction of 'said' applications online. After all they should be wildly available after 1 million iphones have been sold... So where are they? ;):rolleyes:

shoelessone
Sep 11, 2007, 09:03 AM
I'm glad it has finally started!

Also, as much as I love this forum, I'm really hoping (as I've stated before) a seperate Touch forum is created for this sort of info.

<3

Markleshark
Sep 11, 2007, 09:04 AM
Bookmarked it. We'll see what happens. I don't have an iPhone, so gawd knows.

EssentialParado
Sep 11, 2007, 09:10 AM
Will Maps work with out a WiFi connection? Like can you make driving directions at home, save them on Maps and then take it with you and use it while you are driving?
No. But you can print out the map at home and take it with you.

Maps is simply a direct line to Google Maps IIRC.

everhage
Sep 11, 2007, 09:13 AM
As some of you already point out....you need the apps you want to install. I doubt they'll be offered as downloads, more specifically I doubt that Apple won't take any action against sites that offer the apps. The only way I can think of is to download an Iphone restore image and somehow get the apps from there. I have no clue whether this is a workable scenario, because (a) I'm not bothered with the Iphone while I have a long wait ahead of me somewhere next year); (b) I'm not bothered with the Iphone because NO way I'm paying 50 euro's for two years above the 500 euro price tag; (c) all I know of software and computers is to read the manual (which makes hacking stuff a bit difficult).

An to follow up on argument b, yes it is possible to use the phone with other sim-cards through software or hardware tweaks, I know. There is a big but...there's a rumour going around that in Europe the Iphone will only have warranty if there is a carrier contract in place. So, hacking the simlock in any way will void your warranty. That makes it a no go for me.

nirvana06
Sep 11, 2007, 09:14 AM
Using that theory, please point us in the direction of 'said' applications online. After all they should be wildly available after 1 million iphones have been sold... So where are they? ;):rolleyes:

maybe because nobody has a touch yet so there is no need for it now? Once people with access to iPhone start going through the process first software needed will be all over the place. Use common sense please.

OrangeCuse44
Sep 11, 2007, 09:26 AM
if anyone thinks we wont be able to find these files for download either thru direct http or torrent has been living under a rock. you can find anything on the internet (for free).

nirvana06
Sep 11, 2007, 09:29 AM
As some of you already point out....you need the apps you want to install. I doubt they'll be offered as downloads, more specifically I doubt that Apple won't take any action against sites that offer the apps.

Just like they took action against people that offered iPhone unlock? That sure stopped them.

Maybe because most people here use Macs and don't know how torrents or file sharing in general works. That's the only reason i could see as to why people would think those apps would not be available to download somehow.

Using torrents you can download anything and everything, iphone apps wont be excluded.

shadowmoses
Sep 11, 2007, 09:30 AM
This looks pretty awesome but 2 queries:

Apple will surely make an attempt to update the device to stop this from working for very long
How can the creator of this website make these claims when they don't have an iPod touch to test it on?

Shadow

Zwhaler
Sep 11, 2007, 09:38 AM
This looks pretty awesome but 2 queries:

Apple will surely make an attempt to update the device to stop this from working for very long
How can the creator of this website make these claims when they don't have an iPod touch to test it on?

Shadow

They are likely making the assumption that since they run the ame operating system, they can therefore run the same apps. I sure hope Apple doesn't have a way of preventing this.

owen-b
Sep 14, 2007, 07:28 AM
Looks like it currently doesn't work...

chas0001
Sep 14, 2007, 07:33 AM
yes the apps are already available for download. that didn't take long. :)

clevin
Sep 14, 2007, 08:08 AM
thanks for the info.

can't imagine using it without stuff like this.. Hopefully apple's update won't break too much hacks.

Somebody on that page mentioned the void of warranty issue, any official statement about this?

also, is there a reset to factory setting to reverse everything back to original state?

also also, is there a backup app that can reverse the device to its last back status? (like NVBackups for palm)

owen-b
Sep 14, 2007, 08:37 AM
Apps from the iPhone might be available to download, but who's actually successfuly 'jailbroken' the Touch? The links on the previous page point to a process which nobody has so far managed to make work on the Touch.

rbroady
Sep 14, 2007, 08:58 AM
theres a problem with putting it into recovery mode while jailbreak, im waiting for the solution so i can get Mail on here

rorschach
Sep 14, 2007, 09:07 AM
iNdependence doesn't work...it gets stuck on the "Waiting for jailbreak" part. I waited for about 20 minutes last night and then gave up.

madmaxmedia
Sep 14, 2007, 11:24 AM
That site went up before the Touch was even available, they just wanted to have the first Touch hack site. Hopefully they will now update it with latest info.

As others have said, there are torrents for the iPhone apps, someone posted a link in another thread already.

Future updates will likely break the hacks, but hack updates will remedy that. Apple has already said they aren't going to go out of their way to disable or prevent hacking, they're basically not going to worry about it either way (meaning they obviously aren't going to support it either.)

Klian
Sep 14, 2007, 11:34 AM
iNdependece doesnt work yet... That site only copy the iPhone jailbreak method... without any proof that it works :(

owen-b
Sep 14, 2007, 11:40 AM
iNdependece doesnt work yet... That site only copy the iPhone jailbreak method... without any proof that it works :(

We know.