PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch Built-In Speaker

HelixOmnimedia
Sep 11, 2007, 01:29 PM
Hey,

Still thinking of ordering an iPod Touch but there are so many different little things putting me off. Was looking at the photos on Apples main site, and was wondering why does it iPod Touch have a built-in speaker(s)?
I read it comes with a stand... cool. no more constantly holding it at the right angle to see the screen, but NO SPEAKERS!! I would have loved it to have speakers so you can put it on the stand and just watch it without being tethered to it with headphone.

Just another little thing putting me off getting one.

Cheesecake
Sep 11, 2007, 01:35 PM
Design wise, adding in a speaker wouldn't be too difficult considering the iPhone has one. But then we have to remember, the sound quality would probably be abysmal. Plus, this leaves the market open for third party companies to make crappy little speakers. Keeps the third parties happy.

shoelessone
Sep 11, 2007, 01:40 PM
only reason i think a speaker would be nice is so I can get notifications when I get Mail :)

PygmySurfer
Sep 11, 2007, 02:57 PM
Hey,

Still thinking of ordering an iPod Touch but there are so many different little things putting me off. Was looking at the photos on Apples main site, and was wondering why does it iPod Touch have a built-in speaker(s)?
I read it comes with a stand... cool. no more constantly holding it at the right angle to see the screen, but NO SPEAKERS!! I would have loved it to have speakers so you can put it on the stand and just watch it without being tethered to it with headphone.

Why not just get some little speakers to attach to it, and sit them on either side of the iPod touch when it's on the stand? They'd just plug in to the headphone jack. You'd get much better audio quality than a cheesy built-in speaker could possibly provide.

master-ceo
Sep 11, 2007, 05:12 PM
Hey,
but NO SPEAKERS!! I would have loved it to have speakers so you can put it on the stand and just watch it without being tethered to it with headphone.

The Ipod Touch is a waste of money. No Buit-in speaker?? 8-16gb?? WTF! This is 2008! You better off buying a pocket pc with touchscreen!:cool:

wakerider017
Sep 11, 2007, 05:23 PM
The Ipod Touch is a waste of money. No Buit-in speaker?? 8-16gb?? WTF! This is 2008! You better off buying a pocket pc with touchscreen!:cool:

Troll

aidanpendragon
Sep 11, 2007, 05:44 PM
It doesn't have a speaker (like any iPod), and this is the first I've heard of it having a stand.

Zwhaler
Sep 11, 2007, 07:39 PM

Actually, its still 2007...

Stang68
Sep 11, 2007, 10:21 PM
It doesn't have a speaker (like any iPod), and this is the first I've heard of it having a stand.

It's not a built-in stand. It comes with one. It can be seen on the gallery on apple.com in the picture with Zoolander on the screen.

robPOD
Sep 11, 2007, 10:46 PM

What??? And Yes we are in 2007 not in 2008

EssentialParado
Sep 12, 2007, 08:10 AM
Yeah, buy a third party speaker attachment :)

It doesn't need to be something huge. You can buy a tiny little add-on like this one: http://www.olivergoodstuff.com/Brookstone/items/509703.html

But I'm sure there will be an iPod touch-colored version before long.

agentkow
Sep 12, 2007, 01:24 PM
So how do alarms work on the iPod Touch if there is no speaker? It must have the ability to beep like all the other iPods, no?

shoelessone
Sep 12, 2007, 01:28 PM
So how do alarms work on the iPod Touch if there is no speaker? It must have the ability to beep like all the other iPods, no?

Good question. That'd be awesome if it did.

agentkow
Sep 12, 2007, 01:45 PM
Never mind, found this in the iPod Touch manual:

Sound Effects

iPod touch can play sound effects when you:

have an appointment
lock or unlock iPod touch
type on the keyboard

Turn sound effects on or off
Choose General > Sound Effects and select whether you want sound effects to play over the internal speaker, through the headphones, or both. Select Off to turn sound effects off.

Although it says internal speaker, I highly doubt you could play music, videos, sounds from Safari, or YouTube videos from it.

shoelessone
Sep 12, 2007, 01:54 PM
Never mind, found this in the iPod Touch manual:

Although it says internal speaker, I highly doubt you could play music, videos, sounds from Safari, or YouTube videos from it.

True, but still, this is great news for those of us who were thinking about/hoping for the ability to hear some sort of audible notification when a new email/IM is recieved (once that functionality is added of course :))

mgrad92
Sep 12, 2007, 02:11 PM
only reason i think a speaker would be nice is so I can get notifications when I get Mail :)

Of course, Apple took care of that problem for you by not including Mail on the Touch ... :rolleyes:

shoelessone
Sep 12, 2007, 03:45 PM
Of course, Apple took care of that problem for you by not including Mail on the Touch ... :rolleyes:

Yes, but that doesn't really matter (to me), becaue software can (and will) be added, the hardware required for making an audible beep/click/etc is not something a programmer can add :)

Schnebar
Sep 12, 2007, 03:49 PM
yeah I think all iPods besides like shuffles have built in speakers that make noises when you navigate and press buttons.

They are not good enough to play music but they can beep ect.