Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
Hey,

Still thinking of ordering an iPod Touch but there are so many different little things putting me off. Was looking at the photos on Apples main site, and was wondering why does it iPod Touch have a built-in speaker(s)?
I read it comes with a stand... cool. no more constantly holding it at the right angle to see the screen, but NO SPEAKERS!! I would have loved it to have speakers so you can put it on the stand and just watch it without being tethered to it with headphone.

Just another little thing putting me off getting one.

Cheesecake

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2007
Design wise, adding in a speaker wouldn't be too difficult considering the iPhone has one. But then we have to remember, the sound quality would probably be abysmal. Plus, this leaves the market open for third party companies to make crappy little speakers. Keeps the third parties happy.

PygmySurfer

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2006
Wellesley, ON
Hey,

Still thinking of ordering an iPod Touch but there are so many different little things putting me off. Was looking at the photos on Apples main site, and was wondering why does it iPod Touch have a built-in speaker(s)?
I read it comes with a stand... cool. no more constantly holding it at the right angle to see the screen, but NO SPEAKERS!! I would have loved it to have speakers so you can put it on the stand and just watch it without being tethered to it with headphone.

Why not just get some little speakers to attach to it, and sit them on either side of the iPod touch when it's on the stand? They'd just plug in to the headphone jack. You'd get much better audio quality than a cheesy built-in speaker could possibly provide.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
Hey,
but NO SPEAKERS!! I would have loved it to have speakers so you can put it on the stand and just watch it without being tethered to it with headphone.

The Ipod Touch is a waste of money. No Buit-in speaker?? 8-16gb?? WTF! This is 2008! You better off buying a pocket pc with touchscreen!:cool:

agentkow

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2003
Vancouver, Canada
Never mind, found this in the iPod Touch manual:

Sound Effects

iPod touch can play sound effects when you:
  • have an appointment
  • lock or unlock iPod touch
  • type on the keyboard
Turn sound effects on or off
Choose General > Sound Effects and select whether you want sound effects to play over the internal speaker, through the headphones, or both. Select Off to turn sound effects off.

Although it says internal speaker, I highly doubt you could play music, videos, sounds from Safari, or YouTube videos from it.

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
Never mind, found this in the iPod Touch manual:

Although it says internal speaker, I highly doubt you could play music, videos, sounds from Safari, or YouTube videos from it.

True, but still, this is great news for those of us who were thinking about/hoping for the ability to hear some sort of audible notification when a new email/IM is recieved (once that functionality is added of course :))

shoelessone

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
Of course, Apple took care of that problem for you by not including Mail on the Touch ... :rolleyes:

Yes, but that doesn't really matter (to me), becaue software can (and will) be added, the hardware required for making an audible beep/click/etc is not something a programmer can add :)

Schnebar

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
California
yeah I think all iPods besides like shuffles have built in speakers that make noises when you navigate and press buttons.

They are not good enough to play music but they can beep ect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.