PDA

View Full Version : When do you think a higher capacity ipod touch will be released?

dechristo
Sep 12, 2007, 05:58 PM
I am in a dillema. My old school 40 gb died a few weeks ago and I have about 37 gbs of music. I really want to replace it with a touch, but 16 gb obviously is not enough capacity for me. If apple doubled the size to 32 gb, that would be sufficient. If it takes a year for this to happen, I will get the 16 gb touch and sell it when the 32 comes out. If its gonna come out in the next 3 to 6 months, I would probably hold out.

Any educated or uneducated guesses are appreciated.

tingly
Sep 12, 2007, 06:07 PM
It took nanos a year to go from 4gb to 8gb. It was another year before Touch with 16gb came out at a much higher price. It could be quite awhile until 32gb flash memory comes down enough in price for Apple to utilize.

emotion
Sep 12, 2007, 06:09 PM
In the spring maybe.

Hang on given you US peeps call autumn 'fall' do you call spring 'rise'? :)

PlaceofDis
Sep 12, 2007, 06:10 PM
late spring at the earliest would be my guess personally.

nlivo
Sep 12, 2007, 06:17 PM
yeah just go0 for the 16gb touch and make some playlists of your good music. it'll be a while 'til we see a 32gb iPod touch.

iDAG
Sep 12, 2007, 06:56 PM
yeah just go0 for the 16gb touch and make some playlists of your good music. it'll be a while 'til we see a 32gb iPod touch.

I agree with this, it will be about another year or so. I think you would be better off with a classic if you like to have it all with you.

shoelessone
Sep 12, 2007, 07:06 PM
sometime after the current ones are released.

iDAG
Sep 12, 2007, 08:57 PM

This is the most accurate answer u will get:D

aethelbert
Sep 12, 2007, 09:43 PM
I say that It'll be about a year from now. Spring iPods updates disrupt the natural Apple update cycle... Also the fact that 32GB of flash is currently quite expensive at that (physical) size of the chip.

wakerider017
Sep 12, 2007, 09:52 PM
Yup!

It is a shot in the dark when they will be released or if they will be released at all... There could be something new by the time 32GB's comes out..

If I were to guess I would say you would maybe see a revision Fall 08'

Already looking for a new iPod Touch and the current one isn't even released yet... :rolleyes:

iCantwait
Sep 13, 2007, 07:38 AM
about 365 days to see a 30ishGB, flash is getting cheaper rember when a 256mb drive was ALOT ($100+:eek:) now u can get 4gb sticks for less than $30.:p
i'm trying to convert AUD$ to USD$ btw:D

bertpalmer
Sep 13, 2007, 07:54 AM
I'd say it will be a few years if it is flash based - simply because of the expense...

If it is a hard drive - then it is anyone's guess..

dechristo
Sep 13, 2007, 09:12 AM
Yup!

It is a shot in the dark when they will be released or if they will be released at all... There could be something new by the time 32GB's comes out..

If I were to guess I would say you would maybe see a revision Fall 08'

Already looking for a new iPod Touch and the current one isn't even released yet... :rolleyes:

I know I know. I am not really looking for a new one, just trying to decide whether to buy the 16 gb or not.

mrkramer
Sep 13, 2007, 09:16 AM
well since 32Gb of Flash is around $500 I don't think that we will see an increase in capacity for a while, we will probably get an update to new features but not much of a size bump around next fall and I'm guessing that we will see 32GB a year from that.

RebelScum
Sep 27, 2007, 12:55 PM
I say February. I think we'll see a 32 gb Touch, a 16 gb Nano, and a 16 gb iPhone all on the same day. I YOUD say that MacWorld will be all about the iMac, but I think the next thing for the iMac is gonna be a full ground-up form-factor redesign, something for which it is quite overdue. But since we just go t3h Aluminum iMac, that seems unlikely. The iPod is the core of the apple biz. G1 products are ALWAYS Beta testers in the eyes of Apple. By then, the iPhone will be 8 months old, and the iTouch will be not far behind. Seems obvious to me that the iPhone was a tester to see just how popular a touch-screen device would be (and why not release that to include the one element Mac peeps have been clamboring for for years, that being a mobile phone). Now the iTouch is here...but very limited. The votes are in...people want larger capacity and physical volume buttons. A slightly less outspoken crowd wants e-mail (which seems silly to me, since any 3rd-party dev. can come up with a POP e-mail client). I would be more than a little surprised if we didn't get at least one of those things, and it seems to me that higher capacity is the change that requires the least amount of tinkering with the actual device. I'll likely be the same price-point as the 16 is now, but that's to be expected. Good news for you penny pinchers...they'll likely do away with the 8 gb altogether and price the 16gb at the 8gb's launch price.

So needless to say...I'm buying my iTouch in February...hopefully. 87

RebelScum
Sep 27, 2007, 01:00 PM
A store in Toronto that sells direct-from-factory (and is ironically called "Factory Direct") has this on their site:

http://www.factorydirect.ca/catalog/product_spec.php?pcode=SE8001

So as we can plainly see, the memory, she be getting cheap. About a $/Mb. I'd pay that

RebelScum
Sep 27, 2007, 01:19 PM
A store in Toronto that sells direct-from-factory (and is ironically called "Factory Direct") has this on their site:

http://www.factorydirect.ca/catalog/product_spec.php?pcode=SE8001

So as we can plainly see, the memory, she be getting cheap. About a $/Mb. I'd pay that

I mean $10/mb. Math is hard.

Cloudane
Sep 27, 2007, 01:27 PM
My guess would be 6-12 months you'll see 32GB and 160GB (HDD) models.

jmpage2
Sep 27, 2007, 02:12 PM
My guess would be 6-12 months you'll see 32GB and 160GB (HDD) models.

I don't think we'll ever see a HDD touch. Too many complications with access speed, battery life, etc.

RebelScum
Sep 27, 2007, 02:27 PM
I don't think we'll ever see a HDD touch. Too many complications with access speed, battery life, etc.

"...a whopping 5 Gigabytes. That's a THOUSAND songs, in your pocket. For most people, that's their entire music library." - Jobs

"640k oughta be enough for everybody." - Gates

Things change...

RebelScum
Sep 27, 2007, 03:05 PM
then again, I agree that we'll never see an HDD touch, but that's simply because the HDD has maybe 2 or 3 good years left, and then it's out to pasture for that tech. SATA is about as fast as you can possibly get (famous last words) for a solid state drive. Flash is the way of the future, for sure.

RebelScum
Sep 27, 2007, 03:07 PM
I say February. I think we'll see a 32 gb Touch, a 16 gb Nano, and a 16 gb iPhone all on the same day. I YOUD say that MacWorld will be all about the iMac, but I think the next thing for the iMac is gonna be a full ground-up form-factor redesign, something for which it is quite overdue. But since we just go t3h Aluminum iMac, that seems unlikely. The iPod is the core of the apple biz. G1 products are ALWAYS Beta testers in the eyes of Apple. By then, the iPhone will be 8 months old, and the iTouch will be not far behind. Seems obvious to me that the iPhone was a tester to see just how popular a touch-screen device would be (and why not release that to include the one element Mac peeps have been clamboring for for years, that being a mobile phone). Now the iTouch is here...but very limited. The votes are in...people want larger capacity and physical volume buttons. A slightly less outspoken crowd wants e-mail (which seems silly to me, since any 3rd-party dev. can come up with a POP e-mail client). I would be more than a little surprised if we didn't get at least one of those things, and it seems to me that higher capacity is the change that requires the least amount of tinkering with the actual device. I'll likely be the same price-point as the 16 is now, but that's to be expected. Good news for you penny pinchers...they'll likely do away with the 8 gb altogether and price the 16gb at the 8gb's launch price.

So needless to say...I'm buying my iTouch in February...hopefully. 87

jackc
Sep 27, 2007, 03:08 PM
Anything less than a year is wishful thinking. I hope I'm wrong though.

RebelScum
Sep 27, 2007, 03:52 PM
...but still good news.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/03/13/sandisk_upgraded_on_16_32gb_flash_video_ipod_rumors.html

jmpage2
Sep 27, 2007, 05:30 PM
...but still good news.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/03/13/sandisk_upgraded_on_16_32gb_flash_video_ipod_rumors.html

That article is seven months old and was referring to the iphone and touch, both of which have been released.

We're definitely not going to be seeing 32GB in these devices this year. For sure next year, but I expect it to be in the fall rather than the spring.

Cloudane
Sep 27, 2007, 06:24 PM

I really don't know. They've worked just fine in the iPod "Classic" for the past 10 years or however long they've been out? Would the touch screen *really* make that much of a difference?

I've always believed that they haven't done a HDD version yet because it was a last minute product downgraded very quicky from an iPhone to meet popular demand. I.e. they haven't had time to do a HDD version of the hardware. Personally I prefer flash, but I do believe that we'll see HDD eventually to satisfy the massive crowd who really want the Touch but can't live with the small capacity.

Either way, 6-12 months I'd say for an increase. I'd probably bet on 9.

gr8ful
Sep 28, 2007, 03:55 PM
Given Apple's history when upgrading these types of devices, they tend to go thinner not thicker, and they tend to upgrade memory storage without raising the price. Because of this observation, I believe Apple made the decision when they developed the iPhone and Touch that these touchscreen devices would only contain flash and they will never release a hdd version.

Apple seems to be testing the waters with the Touch to see how well they are received so they can determine whether it will eventually replace the upper-end iPods with the touchscreen or whether the touch will be an additional platform to co-exist with the high capacity hdd versions without a touchscreen.

I say watch the flash prices. The capacity of the Touch will increase when Apple can offer a 32GB version for $399 and drop the 16GB to $299. Will that be next year? Maybe, maybe not. I think before you see a capacity increase you will see a variety of applications offered for the Touch and the iPhone (games, eBook reader, task list, etc).

I would say to anyone who likes the Touch but wishes it had a higher capacity, if you can deal with the 16GB then get it. When the higher capacity TouchPods come out, sell the 16GB on eBay (resell of Apple products is very good) and upgrade. Don't rob yourself of a great user experience waiting on the ideal device, it will never come. When the 32GB Touch comes out, your music and video library will like be over 50GB in size and you are still in the same boat.

RebelScum
Oct 17, 2007, 10:31 PM
I say watch the flash prices. The capacity of the Touch will increase when Apple can offer a 32GB version for $399 and drop the 16GB to $299. Will that be next year? Maybe, maybe not. I think before you see a capacity increase you will see a variety of applications offered for the Touch and the iPhone (games, eBook reader, task list, etc).

I would say to anyone who likes the Touch but wishes it had a higher capacity, if you can deal with the 16GB then get it. When the higher capacity TouchPods come out, sell the 16GB on eBay (resell of Apple products is very good) and upgrade. Don't rob yourself of a great user experience waiting on the ideal device, it will never come. When the 32GB Touch comes out, your music and video library will like be over 50GB in size and you are still in the same boat.

Looks like you nailed it with the application predictions. I'm even more convinced we'll see higher capacity models sooner than later now. SDK opens up myriad possibilities, not the least of which will be Disk Mode...and for that, I need 32GB minimum. My 30 GB iPod 5G has served me well these past 2 years, and anything less would not be practical for me. It's not the music & movies...it's the ability to transport files that I need.

Come onnnnnnnnn Macworld...