PDA

View Full Version : Review of Apple iPod touch: The Best iPod Ever

madmaxmedia
Sep 13, 2007, 12:06 AM
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2179701,00.asp

5 stars!

And, yes, the earbuds still suck. But those are my only complaints—and they are minor. The relatively hefty $300 and $400 price tags for 8 and 16 GB, respectively, don't bug me either. Why? This is probably the best portable media player ever made.

Possibly the best new feature is a subtle one: the double click. Pressing the only tactile button on the player twice makes music controls appear over whatever screen mode you happen to be in—Safari, YouTube, etc.

Now let's talk about the really good stuff. How long have we been waiting for not only an iPod with WiFi, but one that lets us buy music wirelessly and quickly? It's here and it is awesome.

No portable media player has ever done this much so easily, or looked so good doing it.

I hope this post is okay by the rules, it's a 3-page review, so I just included some teaser snippets.

shadowmoses
Sep 13, 2007, 12:13 AM
Good post, thanks. This is also a good sign these babies may start shipping soon:D

SHadoW

gadgetgirl85
Sep 13, 2007, 12:32 AM
I wish the review would have commented more about the calendar and the contacts. I'm excited though :D

madmaxmedia
Sep 13, 2007, 12:43 AM
Good post, thanks. This is also a good sign these babies may start shipping soon:D

SHadoW

I was thinking the same thing... ;)

gadgetgirl85
Sep 13, 2007, 12:54 AM
I was thinking the same thing... ;)

I keep hoping that I'll get an email that my touch has been shipped :D

nlivo
Sep 13, 2007, 01:50 AM
that was a good review. i reckon this time next week they'll be shipping. they usually only bring out the review right before they are shipping so maybe we'll be getting a flood of reviews pretty soon. Waiting to here from walt.

beaker26
Sep 13, 2007, 02:00 AM
My wallet thanks PC Mag for making it much lighter. Unless something bad comes up about the touch I'm getting one.

madmaxmedia
Sep 13, 2007, 02:06 AM
Also, this was interesting-

At full brightness the iPod touch looks a tad better, with deeper, darker color saturation. This is odd, because Apple claims they sport the same 480 by 320 resolution screen with 163 pixels per inch. Clearly, there is something slightly different, but it detracts very little from the iPhone to say that the new iPod touch looks a little better in the color department.

In their slideshow, they have the 2 side by side, and they do look different in the photo:

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewer/0,1205,l=214617&s=1612&a=215102&po=7,00.asp?p=y

Markleshark
Sep 13, 2007, 02:13 AM
Hm, yes, compared to the iPodtouch the iPhone does look (Ever so slightly) washed out.

shoelessone
Sep 13, 2007, 09:29 AM
I'm surprised this article didn't get more attention here.

I can't wait for more reviews to be released, as it's the next best thing (in my opinion) to having the thing in my own hands :)

That said, at this point I feel like I probably know more about the touch then any reviewer, i know the feature set relativly intimitly, and I've used the iPhone enough to be familiar with the various aspects of the interface.

Hell, I could probably write a 5 page review of the thing myself :)

gloss
Sep 13, 2007, 10:45 AM
This was good to hear. After all the negativity surrounding the device here, it's nice to have a little perspective.

Yeah, you can't edit your calendar entries, but hey, it's still the best PMP on the planet.

clevin
Sep 13, 2007, 12:48 PM
don't get me wrong, for what it can do as a PMP, its very good (maybe some users have problems with the capacity and file manager).

the real question is, would it be a good PDA? It sure has the potential: a slim down OS which is 400MB+ in size. a large screen, a wi-fi. But now, the only usable part is a near-desktop-level browser, nothing else.

We shall wait and see how this turns out. And if eventually it won't be improved as a PDA, its not because of difficulties in technology or lacking of interests from users. Its purely a market strategy that is out of greed.

shoelessone
Sep 13, 2007, 12:51 PM
don't get me wrong, for what it can do as a PMP, its very good (maybe some users have problems with the capacity and file manager).

the real question is, would it be a good PDA? It sure has the potential: a slim down OS which is 400MB+ in size. a large screen, a wi-fi. But now, the only usable part is a near-desktop-level browser, nothing else.

We shall wait and see how this turns out. And if eventually it won't be improved as a PDA, its not because of difficulties in technology or lacking of interests from users. Its purely a market strategy that is out of greed.

All market strategies are "out of greed".

And all companies (that aren't broke) use market strategies.

So I miss your point?

clevin
Sep 13, 2007, 12:55 PM
All market strategies are "out of greed".

And all companies (that aren't broke) use market strategies.

So I miss your point?

no, you didn't miss nothing, I could add, apple's greed in this marketing strategy of iPod touch is as ugly as it gets.

its easy to bashing industry altogether, while the fact is I only interested talking about the product I may put my hand on.

Is M$ greed? yes, is AOL stupid? yes, but I didn't buy nothing from them. So I have no interest bashing them in this post.

madmaxmedia
Sep 13, 2007, 12:55 PM

Yes, it is not a good PDA out-of-the-box. But the likelihood that it cannot be improved thoughs hacks and mods seems remote, given how much progress has already been made with the identical-OS running iPhone.

clevin
Sep 13, 2007, 12:57 PM
Yes, it is not a good PDA out-of-the-box. But the likelihood that it cannot be improved thoughs hacks and mods seems remote, given how much progress has already been made with the identical-OS running iPhone.

exactly, I said "we shall wait and see". of course, an official policy of openness would encourage developers and benefit users more.

MacBytes
Sep 13, 2007, 01:09 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Review of Apple iPod touch: The Best iPod Ever (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070913140956)
Description:: When we tested the Apple iPhone back in June, one thing was very clear: Minus the pesky phone part, the iPhone was the best portable media player we’d ever seen. The iPod touch is just that—and so much more. It takes all the wonderful things about the iPhone—cover flow, multi-touch interface, a luminous screen—and adds so much more, like Wi-Fi access to the iTunes store. All told, the touch has earned PC Mag’s highest rating (5 out of 5) and is our new Editors’ Choice in portable media players.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

MacRumors
Sep 13, 2007, 01:33 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

PCMag posts (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2179701,00.asp) a review of the Apple iPod Touch, which is expected to be released later this month. The review is quite favorable and starts with:
The relatively hefty $300 and $400 price tags for 8 and 16 GB, respectively, don't bug me either. Why? This is probably the best portable media player ever made.

The author describes the iPod Touch as "much skinnier" than the iPhone, a bit shorter and a hair wider. They cover many of the features and focus on some of the new features introduced with the iPod Touch. The Wifi iTunes store appears to work quite well with a full iTunes experience in your hand. The Starbucks integration has not yet been activated (due October 2nd).

One new feature in the iPod Touch that was previously demonstrated in the Guided Tour (http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/guidedtour/) video is the "double click" on the home button.
Pressing the only tactile button on the player twice makes music controls appear over whatever screen mode you happen to be in—Safari, YouTube, etc. Even if the player is locked, double-clicking will bring up a set of music controls that features track information, play/pause, forward and backward within a playlist or album, a Music button to take you directly to the Now Playing screen, and a Close button to escape.

The review also provides a final answer on the editing abilities on the Touch. There is no email, and no way to edit or enter Calendar events. Contacts, however, can be edited on the iPod Touch. The review concludes favorably however:
At $300 and $400 for 8 and 16 GB, respectively, these are not cheap devices, especially considering the storage limitations. Still, factor in the slick interface, elegant Web browser, the beautiful glass display, the seamless integration of the WiFi music store, and the iPod touch is worth the price. No portable media player has ever done this much so easily, or looked so good doing it.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/13/pcmags-apple-ipod-touch-review/)

mithun914
Sep 13, 2007, 01:35 PM
The author describes the iPhone Touch as "much skinnier" than the iPhone,
u mean ipod touch

[fixed]

Eidorian
Sep 13, 2007, 01:36 PM
It's nice to finally learn the truth to some of those features.

BiikeMike
Sep 13, 2007, 01:40 PM
I'm excited!

I can't wait to get one, and then for the hacks to come out so I can have an iCal editor in my pocket! (My Blackberry sucks at that, only one calendar with no color coding) Nice favorable review, good to know it's worth the money :)

(and it's worth the mention that I posted this about 2 hours ago (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=354383), mistakenly an hour after MadMaxMedia posted it (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=354210) [admin edit: merged threads]) ((:p))

arn
Sep 13, 2007, 01:40 PM
Apple also posted a "Feature Guide"/manual for the touch:
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPod_touch_Features_Guide.pdf

arn

pgwalsh
Sep 13, 2007, 01:45 PM
I wish they'd make a larger one. It may seem selfish and unrealistic, but I could see using this just to browse the web on my couch or on a bed. I could use it as an ebook reader add tv capability and I'm good to go. A 10 to 13 inch screen wold fit the bill nicely.

syklee26
Sep 13, 2007, 01:47 PM
hopefully in a very short time after the shipment someone will find a way to port some programs from iPhone to Touch. I do want that note function too as well as stocks and weathers.

fastbite
Sep 13, 2007, 01:50 PM
I have a feeling that the good reviews are going to come thick and fast -- the problem for me and many others now is going to be: Should I get an iPhone or the touch??? I guess the touch is a safer bet to start with...:confused:

milo
Sep 13, 2007, 01:52 PM
Hm, yes, compared to the iPodtouch the iPhone does look (Ever so slightly) washed out.

Could be a firmware difference, it's possible the iPhone gets that tweaked in an update.

BiikeMike
Sep 13, 2007, 01:53 PM
HAHA, thanks for making me look like an idiot Arn :D

Some points of interest that caught my attention:

When your iPod touch has finished synching to your PC's library, you can just unplug it—none of this ejecting business that other iPods make you do

photo support is for JPEG, BMP, GIF, TIF, PSD (for Macs only)

At full brightness the iPod touch looks a tad better, with deeper, darker color saturation.

moosecat
Sep 13, 2007, 02:04 PM
I wonder why the dimensions are slightly different from the iPhone. I hope they are close enough that it will be compatible with iPhone accessories like cases.

It frustrates me that there is no Mail app. Is it because they are afraid that it would cannibalize iPhone sales? I don't want to have to use clunky web-based interfaces to check my e-mail.

p0intblank
Sep 13, 2007, 02:07 PM
That new home button feature sounds really nice! I hope this is transitioned over to the iPhone in its next software update.

bluush
Sep 13, 2007, 02:10 PM
My question: I prefer using gmail on the web as opposed to receiving my gmail through the Mail application on my Mac. Can those of you with iPhones still access and respond to emails on Gmail?

Mainly what I want to know, if I buy an iPod touch, will I be able to access gmail? This is going to be the make or break for me.

Thanks

I wonder why the dimensions are slightly different from the iPhone. I hope they are close enough that it will be compatible with iPhone accessories like cases.

It frustrates me that there is no Mail app. Is it because they are afraid that it would cannibalize iPhone sales? I don't want to have to use clunky web-based interfaces to check my e-mail.

Sam0r
Sep 13, 2007, 02:14 PM
My question: I prefer using gmail on the web as opposed to receiving my gmail through the Mail application on my Mac. Can those of you with iPhones still access and respond to emails on Gmail?

Mainly what I want to know, if I buy an iPod touch, will I be able to access gmail? This is going to be the make or break for me.

Thanks

Course you can... :)

Mgkwho
Sep 13, 2007, 02:15 PM
I understand why Apple's not infusing it with PDA capabilities, besides browser.

What I don't get is why the wifi iTunes music store is only for music! IF this is to come with :apple:TV too, then surely there must be more than music? The advantage :apple:TV would have is movies...

I bet they won't add Movies et.al. until it's available in HD; if the comments made recently about the impending :apple:TV updates are true, then hopefully HD is coming soon!

-=|Mgkwho

gloss
Sep 13, 2007, 02:16 PM
Cannot wait until this thing gets hacked.

chr1s60
Sep 13, 2007, 02:16 PM
The slightly different size of the iPod Touch has made me wonder if it is possibly the same frame that will be used for the next iPhone. One of the things I had read on iPhone and 3G is that in order to have it the phone would need to be a little wider. The Touch is slightly wider than iPhone. Of course the iPhone in that frame would have a different exterior design, but this was just an idea that popped into my head and I don't the exact specs of what would be needed for 3G and all.

balamw
Sep 13, 2007, 02:18 PM
Some points of interest that caught my attention:

When your iPod touch has finished synching to your PC's library, you can just unplug it—none of this ejecting business that other iPods make you do
Funny, my iPods already do that. This must mean that they have enabled disk use on their previous iPods.

B

justflie
Sep 13, 2007, 02:19 PM

Thanks

You should be able to. I just tried it on my iPhone and it worked fine. Sin e they run the same OS, it should be a safe bet that the iPod Touch can do it to.

zedsdead
Sep 13, 2007, 02:20 PM
I hope the next iPhone has the charcoal color boarder...the silver just doesn't look as cool.

The Home Button feature should be coming to the iPhone as well as the Double Tap Space Bar function.

uraniumwilly
Sep 13, 2007, 02:21 PM
A little larger profile, a larger video screen, a 160 gig drive and Apple may have my $.

InLikeALion
Sep 13, 2007, 02:25 PM
In their slideshow, they have the 2 side by side, and they do look different in the photo:

http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewer/0,1205,l=214617&s=1612&a=215102&po=7,00.asp?p=y

If the reviewers comment was based on that photo - it could easily be caused by the off-centered camera. It is at a more extreme angle to the iPhone than the Touch, and the wider the viewing angle, the worse the color and contrast.

But it could just be their attempt to recreate photographically what their eyes were observing, even if they had to force it in order to convey through the picture.

superted666
Sep 13, 2007, 02:26 PM
I really fancy one of these,

Had a fair few ipods in my time but after having the shuffle im not sure i can go back to the old style.

Being able to turn on,skip tracks and alter volume with just a click is priceless.
Not sure i could deal with taking it out my pocket to skips tracks or change something.

The gadget freak inside though does like the look of it!

BTW
Sep 13, 2007, 02:30 PM
I wish they'd make a larger one. It may seem selfish and unrealistic, but I could see using this just to browse the web on my couch or on a bed. I could use it as an ebook reader add tv capability and I'm good to go. A 10 to 13 inch screen wold fit the bill nicely.

How about a roll-out display?

http://crunchgear.com/2007/05/24/sonys-flexible-full-color-oled-display/

Maybe not for awhile.

I do believe Apple could make a larger iPod Touch with that 10 to 13 screen size you mention. They just may. ;)

iShak
Sep 13, 2007, 02:34 PM
If the reviewers comment was based on that photo - it could easily be caused by the off-centered camera. It is at a more extreme angle to the iPhone than the Touch, and the wider the viewing angle, the worse the color and contrast.

But it could just be their attempt to recreate photographically what their eyes were observing, even if they had to force it in order to convey through the picture.

I am pretty sure that the reviewer had access to a working iPod touch and is intelligent enough to know better than making a judgment off a photo when he has the real deal right there in his hands ...

mainstreetmark
Sep 13, 2007, 02:38 PM
Mark's review of the iPod Touch (aka iPhone):

"Bring back the scrollwheel!!!! Love, mark"

JGowan
Sep 13, 2007, 02:39 PM
A little larger profile, a larger video screen, a 160 gig drive and Apple may have my $.You might get the first two in a year or so, but 160GB won't be coming ANY time soon. They're gonna stick with the faster, more durable and thinner Flash memory rather than a Hard Drive(s)... they want the cover flow experience as well as having all those apps open simultaneously to be able to run as fast as possible, not to mention wanthing them to be super thin. They are so thin these days. I'm sure the iPod you want will be in your hands in 2011 or so. Good luck waiting. As for me, I'm buying an 160GB iPod classic tomorrow and an iPhone in January (hopefully), whenever the next update is on either price, physicallity or features.

Mechcozmo
Sep 13, 2007, 02:39 PM
Yeah, you can't edit your calendar entries, but hey, it's still the best PMP on the planet.

My old Palm Tungesten|T had four buttons for four applications:
1) Contacts
2) Organizer
3) To-Do List
4) Memo Pad

If the iPod Touch can add these four applications, I'd buy one. Basically, I need a basic PDA with which to edit calander entries, add to-dos, and jot down quick notes. Contact look-up is sort of a given. Doesn't need bluetooth... but it'd be nice. If these four things are covered, then the iPod Touch is not only the best media player ever but also it'll be a great PDA for those times when you just gotta manage your digital life.

Additionally, all of these items have sync built-in to the OS.
1) Contacts <-->Address Book
2) Organizer <--> iCal
3) To-Do List <--> iCal
4 Memo Pad <--> Notes (in Leopard Mail)

twoodcc
Sep 13, 2007, 02:42 PM
nice review! but i'm glad i got my iPhone though (not b/c the iPod Touch isn't good, it's just there aren't any other good phones out there....)

s57
Sep 13, 2007, 02:48 PM
My old Palm Tungesten|T had four buttons for four applications:
1) Contacts
2) Organizer
3) To-Do List
4) Memo Pad

If the iPod Touch can add these four applications, I'd buy one.

The Touch has pretty much lost its appeal to me as a replacement for my aging Palm. If you can't edit calendars, it's useless as a PDA, and since I already have a video iPod with a bigger disk (though, of course, a smaller screen), I don't need the multimedia stuff.

I am sure there are others out there who'd be very excited to throw their PDAs out the window for a Touch with these capabilities (OK, add mail, but even without), but who aren't willing to fork over $60/month for AT&T for the life of the PDA. Oh well... Glad I didn't order one yet.

slffl
Sep 13, 2007, 02:52 PM
Could be a firmware difference, it's possible the iPhone gets that tweaked in an update.

Everyone commenting on the screen difference. Look in the iPhone forums. There are 2 difference screens used in the iPhone. The iPhone he's comparing the Touch to probably has a 5. I've had a 5 and a 7 screen on my iPhone. They both have their pros and cons.

La Porta
Sep 13, 2007, 03:00 PM
This really is good news. What made me happy was the release of the manual. Now I can see that yes, the screen is glass, and that you can enter contacts for sure. I'm sure in no time a Notes app will be added, Mail ported, and iCal from the iPhone moved over (I give it a month from the thing being released). I am getting more and more happy with my decision to order that 16 gig!

sminman
Sep 13, 2007, 03:01 PM
Just looked over the manual that Apple posted and it looks like you can double tap the space bar for a period.

This was a huge drawback while typing on the iPhone. Maybe Apple will include it in a software update once the Touch comes out...

Doctor Q
Sep 13, 2007, 03:12 PM
Just looked over the manual that Apple posted and it looks like you can double tap the space bar for a period.That gives you a period and a space, which is usually what you want.

RoboCop001
Good to hear such a good review!

I'm still a little confused as to why they make Contacts editable but not Calender... I'd say Contacts are more of a phone feature than Calendar, it should at least be the other way around: Calendar editable, Contacts not. Makes sense? But whatever. I think I'll buy one next year anyway.

OCOTILLO
Apple also posted a "Feature Guide"/manual for the touch:
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/iPod_touch_Features_Guide.pdf

arnI read the part of the Guide regarding photos. Unless I am mistaken you can not upload photos from your camera using the camera connector. I assume this also follows for the iPhone.

webteeth
Does anyone here know whether the ENTIRE front of the iPod is glass, or whether just the screen is? I'd like to buy a case before I get the iPod, but I don't see a reason to get a full-body case if the entire front is scratch-resistant glass..

mudbug99
Sep 13, 2007, 03:22 PM
I was ready to go for it, but then they apparently pulled the ability to enter calendar events. It was listed at first I'm sure. Too bad, I really don't need another iPod, my Palm is giving it up, I would have done it. Now lets see if someone comes up with a good, stable, hack to get that functionality back. If so, I'm there

sminman
Sep 13, 2007, 03:22 PM
That gives you a period and a space, which is usually what you want.

I know, the iPhone doesn't have that feature.

I hope Apple does a software update to include it.

millap
Sep 13, 2007, 03:24 PM
You might get the first two in a year or so, but 160GB won't be coming ANY time soon.

I agree...... however, I have to wonder if the flash memory drives used in these devices are pin-for-pin compatible with the new hard drives like the 160GB used in the new iPod Classic. Would anyone to brave enough to try and 'hardware hack' a bigger drive into their brand new Touch (or iPhone for that matter). Remember the screen shots from the original iPhone guided tour that were very quickly spotted and changed by Apple, that showed an iPhone with something like 74GB of storage. It makes me wonder if the prototypes, or demo units do indeed have a hard drive.

verniesgarden
Sep 13, 2007, 03:25 PM
the ipod touch makes the iphone practical, for the same price on the 8gig you can get alot more function... so why in hell would you buy the ipod touch?

if they made it thicker and added more disc space and battery than yes it would be amazing, but as now its just gimpware

MonkeyClaw
Sep 13, 2007, 03:37 PM
the ipod touch makes the iphone practical, for the same price on the 8gig you can get alot more function... so why in hell would you buy the ipod touch?

if they made it thicker and added more disc space and battery than yes it would be amazing, but as now its just gimpware

must be a nice piece of gimpware considering it got 5 stars...

DUCKofD3ATH
Sep 13, 2007, 03:42 PM
From the article:

"When your iPod touch has finished synching to your PC's library, you can just unplug it—none of this ejecting business that other iPods make you do (and everyone inevitably forgets to do once in awhile, prompting an ugly error screen on your computer)."

That doesn't read right, what if you're using the iPod as a disk drive? Has Apple dropped that capability?

madmaxmedia
Sep 13, 2007, 03:52 PM
This really is good news. What made me happy was the release of the manual. Now I can see that yes, the screen is glass, and that you can enter contacts for sure. I'm sure in no time a Notes app will be added, Mail ported, and iCal from the iPhone moved over (I give it a month from the thing being released). I am getting more and more happy with my decision to order that 16 gig!

A month? I give it 2 weeks tops (and that's actually my conservative guess...) ;)

spotlight07
Sep 13, 2007, 04:02 PM
I have a feeling that the good reviews are going to come thick and fast -- the problem for me and many others now is going to be: Should I get an iPhone or the touch??? I guess the touch is a safer bet to start with...:confused:

Well, if you're getting a touch then you automatically must accept that you may not be able to fit all of your content on the device with the 8 gb and 16 gb limitations (opposed to up to 160 gb on the classic). So adding the extra 8 gb for $100 for the 16gb model doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It isn't a huge amount of extra storage. What does make sense is to get the iPhone for $100 more. With a fake activation, you can get one without the 2 yr contract or use iUnlock and use your current ATT or t-mobile plan. You get tons more software out of the box from apple (touch springboard looks almost barren) plus with installer.app you can get voice recorder, real texteditor, games, RSS, iPowerHour, to do list, and lots more. For the extra $100 you get more hardware too. You get the phone, speakerphone, camera, and a microphone. This opens up more possibilities for third party apps that could never be put onto the touch. But don't take my word for it, I've been sold on iPhone from day one.

morespce54
Sep 13, 2007, 04:08 PM
This was good to hear. After all the negativity surrounding the device here, it's nice to have a little perspective.

Well, although I like what I saw so far (device included!), not being able to edit your calendar entries (or contacts information) doesn't make it *the best PMP on the planet* for me... :(

La Porta
Sep 13, 2007, 04:11 PM
A month? I give it 2 weeks tops (and that's actually my conservative guess...) ;)

Well i'd have to agree...but you know what they say: if you aim low, you have a better chance of getting what you want!

blake-yo
Sep 13, 2007, 04:12 PM
Ok now that i have heard good reveiws on the ipod touch... I want to ask one question. Im shure you all get asked this alot but i was wondering should i get an iPhone or ipod Touch. But i still cant decide. Since they are the same price.

beaniebaby
Sep 13, 2007, 04:13 PM
Is it really worth that much money? I don't think so. I like the idea and it looks really nice but to me, whats the point in spending so much more money on only 8gb and 16gb? when you could get 80gb or 160gb for £150+? and you still can watch programs on it with a decent size screen. So they added on a few extra acceseries well in time to come im sure they will put all of the new features on the classic ipod.

clevin
Sep 13, 2007, 04:33 PM
apple's world, you do only what apple allows you to, you want some extra small functions? pray to SJ and see if he will includes it in next update...

Open it, Open it... world is not that small, construct a platform, open it to 3rd party!!!

gusapple
Sep 13, 2007, 04:48 PM
Can somebody please answer? Would Apple be able to integrate the "hit home twice to get to music" feature into existing iPhones? Or would that not be possible?

nemaslov
Sep 13, 2007, 05:09 PM
Yes this is a beautiful device but for music maniacs like myself, when it is all really about the music and only the music, this is NOT the Pod to have. Yes the interface is exquisite and so sexy but if it is only all about the music and not video, then the size is way too small.

Surfing the web is wonderful, but the Touch Pod , at least for me now, is a separate device. I just got my classic 160GB which has 100GB of music already loaded in. If it's only for listening to music, a big screen is not needed.

When the Touch finally has massive storage, then that will be time for me to sign up.

Schtumple
Sep 13, 2007, 05:14 PM
Can somebody please answer? Would Apple be able to integrate the "hit home twice to get to music" feature into existing iPhones? Or would that not be possible?

Probably, iPhones not really a full media player, the iPod software is just one part of it, but still, if a song is playing, I'm sure it could be intergrated, its running on the same software and hardware.

gphoto
Sep 13, 2007, 05:15 PM
Well, although I like what I saw so far (device included!), not being able to edit your calendar entries (or contacts information) doesn't make it *the best PMP on the planet* for me... :(

A "music player" is not supposed to be able to edit calendars.

psychofreak
Sep 13, 2007, 05:16 PM

But if it can, without effort, it would be nice...the iPod is becoming more than a music player...

macjonny1
Sep 13, 2007, 05:21 PM

Yes and it shouldn't have a web browser, YouTube, Starbucks songs, pictures, and all that other stuff that it can do right. It should just play music cuz you said so. Thanks for clarifying that for us all.

JGowan
Sep 13, 2007, 05:28 PM
For me, there's no way I can buy an iTouch. Yes, $299 is tempting for the low end, but for $100 more you can get an iPhone. Sure for that same C note, you have 8GB more of space, but really, if space is an issue for someone, they're going the Classic route. For me the additional $100 buys me:

1) Phone that is incredible, with all types of features that work great, including...
2) Visual voicemail
3) Web access with Safari all the time instead of just Wi-Fi spots (theoretically)
4) EMail support
5) A 2 Megapixel Camera -- (yeah it's ony 2MP, but it's 2MPs more than you get with an iTouch)
6) SMS texting
7) Stock Widget
8) Weather Widget
9) Google Maps
10) Notes App
11) Little speakers (Question: Do these work for movies/music or strictly for someone on speakerphone?)
12) It is much more attractive

Did I miss anything?

Sure, you're locked into a 2 year Contract you have that with any phone company. I'm already AT&T so, it's just a $20 data charge for me.

Apple has really crippled the iTouch as far as I'm concerned. There's no way I can buy one over the iPhone now.

sanford
Sep 13, 2007, 05:34 PM
Okay, I like the earbuds just fine. But it may be my imagine but I think the earbuds that came with my iPhone sound better than the current generation iPod earbuds. Also possibly my imagination, but I think the diameter of the actual earbud speaker for the iPhone earbuds is greater than the standard iPod version.

But it's good to see Apple didn't completely cripple the iPod touch to push hard on people to buy iPhones. I figured the WiFi music store was already working but since iPhones will likely get the software update right when the iPod touch ships, no one knew.

One thing, I can't imagine how the iPod touch is "much skinnier" than my iPhone. I think for the review it may be a combination of a little skinnier and somewhat lighter making him think it's "much skinner".

I tell you one thing, having come from an HDD-based video iPod to a flash-based 8GB iPhone, with the kind of battery life I get, I could care less about carrying everything with me and instead having to manage media via iTunes. I can listen to music for hours and hours on my iPhone in airplane mode -- all wireless radios shut off -- and the battery meter doesn't even budge.

Oh, and, Steve, where's my $100 store credit? I didn't care about a price drop rebate until I knew they were doing one; so now, gimme gimme.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2179701,00.asp

5 stars!

I hope this post is okay by the rules, it's a 3-page review, so I just included some teaser snippets.

sanford
Sep 13, 2007, 05:40 PM
5) A 2 Megapixel Camera -- (yeah it's ony 2MP, but it's 2MPs more than you get with an iTouch)

Our first real digital camera, a Canon digital Elph was only 2.1 megapixels; and it took great photos. Not for huge enlargements, but for snapshot variety photo prints ordered from one of the many real photo services it was perfect. I think the iPhone camera takes pretty great photos, too, for what it is. Plus they can and I suspect will before long add video clip recording to the iPhone camera.

Doctor Q
Sep 13, 2007, 05:56 PM
You can pinch to zoom a photo and you can pinch to zoom a web page in Safari.

Would it make sense for Apple to add pinching in music and video playback too? Imagine if you could pinch in or out to slow down the playback (slo mo), or speed it up (fast scan). It would stay at that speed until you used the reverse gesture to set it back to normal playback speed. It would be an alternative to scrubbing.

Wouldn't that be a logical extension of the pinch gesture? Would that ability be useful?

John-S
Sep 13, 2007, 06:08 PM
I like the "bottom line" comments:

"With an excellent interface and elegant design, the iPod touch is simply the best portable media player ever made."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2179699,00.asp

paymaster
Sep 13, 2007, 06:11 PM

The only way that will happen is if hackers do it. The iPod touch uses the same software as the iPhone so Apple took the time and trouble to remove those features, I doubt they will turn around and put them right back on.

MacinDoc
Sep 13, 2007, 06:18 PM
OK, so which PMP can you do that on now?

Just because it can't do what you want it to do doesn't mean that it isn't the best PMP currently available.

KopThat
Sep 13, 2007, 06:25 PM
It will be interesting when the 16GB 3G iPhone is announced, probably next week at the UK event, with a price point of $499 I doubt they will go up to $599 again.

32GB storage in these devices will be cheap enough in under 3 months, with 64GB not too far down the track.

It's the whole technology merry go round, always something better and cheaper around the corner.

Having said that I ordered my wife a 16GB touch on day 1, are they still satying 28th for shipping time, some stores have said the 20th ?

sanford
Sep 13, 2007, 06:47 PM
Sometimes Apple Retail Store gets some stock before the online store ships them.

It will be interesting when the 16GB 3G iPhone is announced, probably next week at the UK event, with a price point of $499 I doubt they will go up to $599 again.

32GB storage in these devices will be cheap enough in under 3 months, with 64GB not too far down the track.

It's the whole technology merry go round, always something better and cheaper around the corner.

Having said that I ordered my wife a 16GB touch on day 1, are they still satying 28th for shipping time, some stores have said the 20th ?

macjonny1
Sep 13, 2007, 06:50 PM
Our first real digital camera, a Canon digital Elph was only 2.1 megapixels; and it took great photos. Not for huge enlargements, but for snapshot variety photo prints ordered from one of the many real photo services it was perfect. I think the iPhone camera takes pretty great photos, too, for what it is. Plus they can and I suspect will before long add video clip recording to the iPhone camera.

2megapixels in the Elph isn't the same as 2 in the iphone. Not knowing the sensor used in either I'm guessing the elph had a much larger sensor than the tiny iphone.....which means much less noise and better pics. A good 4 megapixel SLR would mop the floor with some of these new 8 and 10mp point and shoots...

sanford
Sep 13, 2007, 06:51 PM
Maybe 3G because of 3G penetration in EU. No 3G for US yet due to weak 3G coverage. Possibly 16GB.

My bet, merely announcement of 8GB EDGE iPhone in UK and maybe other EU countries. 3G will still increase bulk quite a bit and will nail battery life, even with the larger battery space available in a larger form factor. Also creates accessories issue as iPhone cases will have to be different for new models so current case makers can't just ship to EU market as is. EDGE is widely used for Blackberries in the EU; I bet Apple will run the the 2G/EDGE risk on bank on the cachet of the iPhone overcoming that.

That being said, you're right: always something new, better and cheaper. But I'm cool with my 8GB EDGE phone if it the States does see a 3G 16GB at the UK announcement.

onionperson654
Sep 13, 2007, 06:52 PM
(edited)
Whoops, I guess it was my mistake, not Apples.

(I just want them to backpeddle on that decision, as I would love to use it as a PDA)

acslater017
Sep 13, 2007, 07:01 PM
ADDING CONTACTS!!!???

In the ipod touch features section on Apple's website, under the multitouch tab, it notes "And iPod touch features a touchscreen QWERTY keyboard perfect for browsing the web in Safari, searching for videos on YouTube, finding music on the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store, or adding new contacts."

Has Apple missed this obvious mistake for this long, or have they changed their minds?

http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/features.html

if i'm not mistaken, you CAN add contacts, but you cannot add calendar events. It used to say something like "enter calendar events" but they realized it was a mistake and removed it. I'm 95% sure that your quote is accurate.

skillz1318
Sep 13, 2007, 07:08 PM
the iPhone speaker works for music/video as well as speakerphone. It is plenty loud for my cubicle at work (max volume co-workers would here and conplain) and pretty good for a little stereo but it will not fill your living room with sound for example

sanford
Sep 13, 2007, 07:12 PM
2megapixels in the Elph isn't the same as 2 in the iphone. Not knowing the sensor used in either I'm guessing the elph had a much larger sensor than the tiny iphone.....which means much less noise and better pics. A good 4 megapixel SLR would mop the floor with some of these new 8 and 10mp point and shoots...

I get it. Also lens not just sensor. Point was iPhone camera does good job in right conditions.

KopThat
Sep 13, 2007, 07:54 PM
Maybe 3G because of 3G penetration in EU. No 3G for US yet due to weak 3G coverage. Possibly 16GB.

I'm thinking more for use in Oz, I've had a 3G video phone for over 3 years here,
so getting an iPhone from the states that was only Edge seemed a backward step in some respect, apart from all that is cool with the iPhone, no other phone comes close.

We probably wont get the iPhone until March 08, so a 3G one from europe is looking good.

SiliconAddict
Sep 13, 2007, 08:05 PM
Key words....storage limitations

surferuke
Sep 13, 2007, 08:08 PM
you guys all live within driving distance from an Apple store and can at least go there and drool over the ipod touches. You're buying handfulls at a time and gloating about how great they are. Try being considerate. SOME OF US live in Eastern Tennessee. That's the mountains. No apple store for at least 2 hours.

The mountains, the fresh air, less Jersey congestion.........does anyone have any idea how much the tax is here in Tennessee?

Let me share this tidbit with you: 9.65%. It's on food, clothing, and everything. I was going to pay $436 for mine. so don't complain.

what do we plan to do when the 32 GB comes out? I am really wrestling with the "to buy or not to buy question." Movie files are bound to be larger, so how much music are we to mow from our libraries?

and what about photos?

HELP. and sorry about the dissertation.

surferuke
Sep 13, 2007, 08:13 PM
in anticipation of the ipod touch, i sold a brand new 30gig ipod video. now i might wait for a 32 gig ipod touch. and that leaves me with no ipod in the meantime. jordan, if you are reading this, YOU GOT A REALLY GOOD DEAL! 125 bucks with a leather case included.

cynerjist
Sep 13, 2007, 08:27 PM
it's so thin and beautiful!

Stats:
iPod Touch: 4.3" x 2.4" x 0.31" [110 x 61.8 x 8 mm] -- 4.2 oz [120g]
iPhone: 4.5" x 2.4" x 0.46" [115 x 61 x 11.6 mm] -- 4.8 oz [135g]

kdon
Sep 13, 2007, 08:44 PM
I'm really hoping iCal can be fixed to allow editing. It would be the sweetest PDA ever -- I hope Apple figures this out.

s57
Sep 13, 2007, 08:58 PM
I'm really hoping iCal can be fixed to allow editing. It would be the sweetest PDA ever -- I hope Apple figures this out.

Well, right now it's the worst PDA ever (though it most lilely is the best PMP ever). A read-only calendar and no speaker (=no alarm), no BT to exchange contacts, no E-mail, no notes. My main complaint with PALM is the poor synching with iCal. But I guess I'll have to stick with them. If AT&T would come out with a proper pre-paid plan, I'd go with them, but my cell phone needs are simply not worth $60/month, not matter what.

notjustjay
Sep 14, 2007, 12:05 AM
does anyone have any idea how much the tax is here in Tennessee?

Let me share this tidbit with you: 9.65%. It's on food, clothing, and everything. I was going to pay $436 for mine. so don't complain.

Canada has you beat. I pay 14% total tax in Ontario.

And we don't even have the iPhone, so all of the "But for only $100 more..." arguments are totally moot. I'd love to buy an iPhone, but I can't. Not yet.

PodHead
Sep 14, 2007, 12:38 AM
The Touch has pretty much lost its appeal to me as a replacement for my aging Palm. If you can't edit calendars, it's useless as a PDA, and since I already have a video iPod with a bigger disk (though, of course, a smaller screen), I don't need the multimedia stuff.

I am sure there are others out there who'd be very excited to throw their PDAs out the window for a Touch with these capabilities (OK, add mail, but even without), but who aren't willing to fork over $60/month for AT&T for the life of the PDA. Oh well... Glad I didn't order one yet.

This is exactly where I stand. I live overseas so I can't use the iPhone but I wanted all the features brought over to the touch. You can edit contacts but not ical...what gives!?! I know this is a portable MUSIC and VIDEO player, but it just seems like Apple always gives you just enough to love it and be pissed off at the same time. I'll still get one though (see what I mean!!!:mad:)

diamond.g
Sep 14, 2007, 05:59 AM
But Steve told us that the web is the best app platform ever created.... I actually find that gmail is better through the web interface than through the mail.app. Something about being able to search, and I like reading my mail in conversation form.
A little larger profile, a larger video screen, a 160 gig drive and Apple may have my $.

You might get the first two in a year or so, but 160GB won't be coming ANY time soon. They're gonna stick with the faster, more durable and thinner Flash memory rather than a Hard Drive(s)... they want the cover flow experience as well as having all those apps open simultaneously to be able to run as fast as possible, not to mention wanthing them to be super thin. They are so thin these days. I'm sure the iPod you want will be in your hands in 2011 or so. Good luck waiting. As for me, I'm buying an 160GB iPod classic tomorrow and an iPhone in January (hopefully), whenever the next update is on either price, physicallity or features.

I agree...... however, I have to wonder if the flash memory drives used in these devices are pin-for-pin compatible with the new hard drives like the 160GB used in the new iPod Classic. Would anyone to brave enough to try and 'hardware hack' a bigger drive into their brand new Touch (or iPhone for that matter). Remember the screen shots from the original iPhone guided tour that were very quickly spotted and changed by Apple, that showed an iPhone with something like 74GB of storage. It makes me wonder if the prototypes, or demo units do indeed have a hard drive.

You guys do know that there are 128GB flash drives available right now. There is one small caveat: those drives cost 400+ USD all by themselves. So how many here are willing to pay a grand for the iPod Touch with 128GB of flash ram?

Zzzoom
Sep 14, 2007, 06:03 AM
The review also provides a final answer on the editing abilities on the Touch. There is no email, and no way to edit or enter Calendar events. Contacts, however, can be edited on the iPod Touch.

There is no excuse for that. Not even greed.

starriola
Sep 14, 2007, 09:23 AM
No email app so I tried reading my gmail on the iTouch Safari browser at the apple sotre. It worked fine. I didn't try my google or yahoo calendar but it should work too.

TurboSC
Sep 15, 2007, 11:37 PM
I hope they implement the double-click feature into the iPhone. ( and also fix the crappy camera, the crashing safari, and where's my iChat )

Yes I complain a lot. hehehe. :p