PDA

View Full Version : Apple must Dislike other Countries

kristofor
Sep 13, 2007, 08:59 PM
Apple Australia will not receive stock of the Ipod Touch till the 28th.

I just spoke to someone at Apple that said pretty much that just because it's out in the states is not a good indication of whether we will get stock in Australia. They also said Australia won't get stock till the 28th.

I want my Ipod Touch. I envy all you guys in the states.

EvilDoc
Sep 13, 2007, 09:03 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) T-Mobile Dash)

Sony does the same thing but japan gets it first... so in a nutshell get over it....

Mr. B
Sep 13, 2007, 09:09 PM
actually, is there any way to know when other countries are getting them in?

I'm very curious about when Japan is going to have them in stores...

shoefly
Sep 13, 2007, 11:28 PM
I'm surprised it makes much of a difference, with pre-orders at least. They're all shipped out from China.

viccles
Sep 13, 2007, 11:29 PM
I know :( Doesn't it suck :(

PygmySurfer
Sep 13, 2007, 11:33 PM
Yes, that's it, Apple hates Australia. :rolleyes:

Releasing a product world-wide is a huge effort, it'll take some time.

Plus, it's possible that's just what she was told to say. So as not to get anyone's hopes up, they tell you it'll arrive on the 28th.

Just be patient.

shoefly
Sep 13, 2007, 11:37 PM
I've got a question for all non-US pre-orderers... What is the product name on your order status page?
I've noticed that in all the screenshots showing "ready for shipment", the product name is IPOD TOUCH 8G-USA or IPOD TOUCH 16G-USA.
However, mine is called IPOD TOUCH 8G-ITP. Is that the same for all non-US orders?

appleguy
Sep 13, 2007, 11:40 PM
I've got a question for all non-US pre-orderers... What is the product name on your order status page?
I've noticed that in all the screenshots showing "ready for shipment", the product name is IPOD TOUCH 8G-USA or IPOD TOUCH 16G-USA.
However, mine is called IPOD TOUCH 8G-ITP. Is that the same for all non-US orders?

mine says -ITP and the status is not yet shipped

shoefly
Sep 13, 2007, 11:43 PM
mine says -ITP and the status is not yet shipped

Maybe they're shipping all the -USA ones first. It sure appears that way :(

PygmySurfer
Sep 13, 2007, 11:55 PM

IPOD TOUCH 16G-CAN (Canada, obviously)

Shipped by: Sep 28
Delivered by: Oct 11 :(

jacktiernan
Sep 13, 2007, 11:58 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12) T-Mobile Dash)

Sony does the same thing but japan gets it first... so in a nutshell get over it....

Woah, settle tiger. We're anxious to get our new toys, ok?
You can 'get over it' if you like, but i'm not ready to get over it until my new ipod touch is in my hands ;)

Let us moan, it passes the time :D

viccles
Sep 14, 2007, 12:35 AM
Mine is
IPOD TOUCH 8G-ITP whatever that means

dukebound85
Sep 14, 2007, 01:16 AM
times like this im glad Apple is an American company :D

Sorry I really do feel for you guys not in the US

maestrokev
Sep 14, 2007, 01:39 AM

I just spoke to someone at Apple that said pretty much that just because it's out in the states is not a good indication of whether we will get stock in Australia. They also said Australia won't get stock till the 28th.

It's not the delayed shipping to Australia that bugs me, it's the discrepany in prices on most products. You'd think with the current exchange rate and manufacturing in China that the US$ to AUS$ pricing should be closer.

thedarkhorse
Sep 14, 2007, 01:47 AM
It's definitely a shame that only the US gets it first, seeing as they already have been the only country with official access to the iphone for the past few months. But it does make sense seeing as Apple is based in the states.
though this gives me some time to decide if I want to drop the $500+CAD(inc tax) for a 16gb touch, or wait for the 32gb model down the road, or at least wait until 16gb touches pop up in the refurb store. Then again it will be hard not to replace my 8 gig nano if I see a 16gb model in stores.

Markleshark
Sep 14, 2007, 01:48 AM
I doubt this 'dislike' other countries, however, with the distinct lack of an iPhone everywhere else I'd have thought they'd make an effort to look good with all us none Americans.

Seems not.

viccles
Sep 14, 2007, 01:53 AM
It's not the delayed shipping to Australia that bugs me, it's the discrepany in prices on most products. You'd think with the current exchange rate and manufacturing in China that the US$ to AUS$ pricing should be closer.

Yeah, I know. 550 odd Australian dollars for a 16GB! :(

SpaceJello
Sep 14, 2007, 02:08 AM
I doubt this 'dislike' other countries, however, with the distinct lack of an iPhone everywhere else I'd have thought they'd make an effort to look good with all us none Americans.

Seems not.

Well, i really wonder what's Apple's main market is. They aren't as big outside the US as in Japan, Australia, Europe etc. And remember, with itunes video/movies only in the US, really, the ipod is made for the US market.

Its been several years now, when will Apple get TV shows/movies etc onto iTunes elsewhere? Canada doesn't have it yet even, and thats right next door. Why doesn't Japan have it? They have video phones already.

I don't think its a "dislike". It's more about where Apple is focusing its energy, and its domestic.

keirnna
Sep 14, 2007, 02:10 AM
I live in Japan. Quit your bitching! I am paying near $500 US for mine that I ordered from Apple Japan. It won't ship before the 28th. You know why Apple products ship in America first? BECAUSE APPLE IS AN AMERICAN COMPANY. There are all kinds of cool non-apple things that all of us get around the world that Americans either never get or get years later.

keirnna
Sep 14, 2007, 02:12 AM
Yeah, I know. 550 odd Australian dollars for a 16GB! :(

It's not Apple's fault Australia is one of the most expensive countries on the earth. I spent a month and a half in Queensland this year, and I couldn't believe how expensive everything in Australia is. My guess is tariffs on digital devices are expensive in Australia.

keirnna
Sep 14, 2007, 02:14 AM
Mine is
IPOD TOUCH 8G-ITP whatever that means

Mine is IPOD TOUCH 16G-JPN.

Markleshark
Sep 14, 2007, 02:17 AM
FWIW mines iPODTOUCH 16G-ZOO

Gawd knows.

shikimo
Sep 14, 2007, 02:31 AM
times like this im glad Apple is an American company :D

Sorry I really do feel for you guys not in the US

But just wait 'til we hear the hissy-fit when Europe gets 3G iPhones next week...:D

It's not Apple's fault Australia is one of the most expensive countries on the earth. I spent a month and a half in Queensland this year, and I couldn't believe how expensive everything in Australia is. My guess is tariffs on digital devices are expensive in Australia.

Doesn't seem to be the case, as documented at this site and elsewhere:

http://www.business.nsw.gov.au/investment/living/costofliving.htm

In fact, Australia is looking like a pretty good place to live, financially speaking. The numbers seem to say they have equal or better buying power than Americans or western Europeans...any of you Aussies feel like confirming or denying this statistical impression? It's not too off-topic, as it might help us better understand the Australian dollar amounts in the thread. For example, what does 550 AD mean in terms of the average Australian's disposable income?

yetanotherdave
Sep 14, 2007, 02:33 AM
Yeah, every other product they release EVER is simultaneous worldwide, iMacs, macbooks, iPods etc. Why can they not ship multitouch products world wide

to answer another question, my order status says

IPOD TOUCH 16G-ZOO
MA627ZO/A

I'm in the UK, I have no idea what ZOO is an abbreviation for!

i0Nic
Sep 14, 2007, 02:36 AM
But just wait 'til we hear the hissy-fit when Europe gets 3G iPhones next week...:D

Doesn't seem to be the case, as documented at this site and elsewhere:

http://www.business.nsw.gov.au/investment/living/costofliving.htm

In fact, Australia is looking like a pretty good place to live, financially speaking. The numbers seem to say they have equal or better buying power than Americans or western Europeans...any of you Aussies feel like confirming or denying this statistical impression? It's not too off-topic, as it might help us better understand the Australian dollar amounts in the thread. For example, what does 550 AD mean in terms of the average Australian's disposable income?

Australian's have it very good in terms of quality of life and things such as welfare and a very good government financed health system etc. The average Australian wage is about $55,000 AUD/yr.

SirCrumpet
Sep 14, 2007, 02:46 AM
Australian's have it very good ...things such as welfare and a very good government financed health system etc.

*cough* ********* *cough*

To stay on topic:

06/09/2007 at 07:46 PM JST
Not yet shipped
IPOD TOUCH 16G-ITP
Ships by: 28/09/2007
Delivers by: 03/10/2007

:(

kristofor
Sep 14, 2007, 02:49 AM
The biggest problem is not necessarily the cost, or the fact Apple is based in the states. Its that on a lot of other products we get the products at the same time as everywhere else.

The price is well probably excessive. On current exchange rate it should probably be a good $70AUD cheaper.

$550AUD is a fair amount of money to fork out for most Australian families. I would say that most people might afford $100 or $200. I just got my first pay at a new job so I decided to spend it on the Ipod Touch.

I just wish Apple would announce these products and make them available when they announce them, like they did with the Ipod Classic upgrades. Thens ure enough in a few months they will drop the price, or double the storage and we will get that one straight away.

I just wonder how many people in Australia Pre-ordered the Ipod Touch. I ordered the same morning as the announcement as soon as I woke up. I will be quite annoyed if I don't receive my Ipod Touch before the stores. Apple should fulfill their existing orders before sending any to the stores.

viccles
Sep 14, 2007, 02:53 AM
The biggest problem is not necessarily the cost, or the fact Apple is based in the states. Its that on a lot of other products we get the products at the same time as everywhere else.

The price is well probably excessive. On current exchange rate it should probably be a good $70AUD cheaper.

$550AUD is a fair amount of money to fork out for most Australian families. I would say that most people might afford $100 or $200. I just got my first pay at a new job so I decided to spend it on the Ipod Touch.

I just wish Apple would announce these products and make them available when they announce them, like they did with the Ipod Classic upgrades. Thens ure enough in a few months they will drop the price, or double the storage and we will get that one straight away.

I just wonder how many people in Australia Pre-ordered the Ipod Touch. I ordered the same morning as the announcement as soon as I woke up. I will be quite annoyed if I don't receive my Ipod Touch before the stores. Apple should fulfill their existing orders before sending any to the stores.

I also did the same. (Ordered my touch as soon as I woke up Thursday morning when it was announced)

kevinliu4
Sep 14, 2007, 02:55 AM
People forget that Apple never said anything about getting iPod touches out before the 28th. That they are showing up early (in the U.S. or elsewhere) is a bonus.

Same thing with the $100 credit to early buyers of the iPhone. I think that was very admirable of Apple. They didn't need to do anything. Admittedly, I'd be annoyed too but I certainly wouldn't complain about not getting $200 after getting $100 back. And that was across the board, not just to individuals who complained.

yetanotherdave
Sep 14, 2007, 03:02 AM
People forget that Apple never said anything about getting iPod touches out before the 28th. That they are showing up early (in the U.S. or elsewhere) is a bonus.

Same thing with the $100 credit to early buyers of the iPhone. I think that was very admirable of Apple. They didn't need to do anything. Admittedly, I'd be annoyed too but I certainly wouldn't complain about not getting $200 after getting $100 back. And that was across the board, not just to individuals who complained.

Yes they did! Steve Jobs said they'll be shipping sometime before the 28th. Every other product is worldwide simultaneously. Why not the touch. The iPhone at least had a reason (you need a carrier for a phone)

kevinliu4
Sep 14, 2007, 03:07 AM
Yes they did! Steve Jobs said they'll be shipping sometime before the 28th. Every other product is worldwide simultaneously. Why not the touch. The iPhone at least had a reason (you need a carrier for a phone)

Actually, you're absolutely correct. Where the hell is my iPod touch?! :D

iBlue
Sep 14, 2007, 03:31 AM
Well, i really wonder what's Apple's main market is. They aren't as big outside the US as in Japan, Australia, Europe etc. And remember, with itunes video/movies only in the US, really, the ipod is made for the US market. ....

That's not true. I wish I could find my source but for population there are more apple users in Europe. Where 1 in 10 may be apple users in the US, here it is more like 1 in 5. (or something like that. I really wish I could find that link)

As for the iPod being made for the US market, yeah, clearly. That's absurd however.

Apple continually sh**s on everyone that isn't in the US. There's no good reason for it other than Apple are arseholes. I really love their products but as a company I think they are INCREDIBLY arrogant and unfair. I don't think they dislike other countries, they're just being pricks, because they can.

There is no reason whatsoever they can't launch all of their products worldwide. They do it with their computers so there's no excuse for little multitouch products to delay. It's all just a BS game. I won't even get into the ridiculous way they over-charge everyone outside the US. :rolleyes::mad:

dippiedoo
Sep 14, 2007, 03:53 AM
There is no reason whatsoever they can't launch all of their products worldwide. They do it with their computers so there's no excuse for little multitouch products to delay. It's all just a BS game. I won't even get into the ridiculous way they over-charge everyone outside the US. :rolleyes::mad:

'tis drives me crazy everytime i surf the apple store.. while the iPod touch is $399 in the us, it's almost $550 (399 ) in germany/austria.. i really don't know why apple's doing this since every single product is way too expensive in europe and all of them are designed in california but actually built in china!

ilikecake
Sep 14, 2007, 04:01 AM

A 16GB iPod Touch shipped anywhere in Australia is au$549 including GST. That's au$499 without GST.

A 16GB iPod Touch shipped in the US is US$399 not including tax. Including tax in NY for instance, you'd be looking at US$430.92 or au$513. vs au$549.

Comparing ex-tax (au$499) to ex-tax (us$399), at current exchange rates the difference is US$19. That's hardly a huge markup for Australia. In the case of an iPod nano the price difference after conversion and tax is seven Australian dollars. Get over it. In fact some items (ie iPod Shuffle) are a few dollars cheaper.

You can hardly blame Apple for Government tax or the necessary price adjustment to handle exchange rate fluctations.

shikimo
Sep 14, 2007, 04:17 AM
Australian's have it very good in terms of quality of life and things such as welfare and a very good government financed health system etc. The average Australian wage is about $55,000 AUD/yr.

Wow...suddenly the Aussie Apple-product prices start to look pretty good.

twynne
Sep 14, 2007, 04:18 AM
Just curious - has anyone seen a post from anywhere OTHER than the US that they've seen stock in stores? UK stores (London area anyway) don't have any or aren't saying if they do. :rolleyes:

shoefly
Sep 14, 2007, 05:01 AM
You can hardly blame Apple for Government tax or the necessary price adjustment to handle exchange rate fluctations.

I'm glad someone posted this. There's also the fact that we get free 1-3 day delivery from Apple for any order over $50.

--Wolf--
Sep 14, 2007, 06:11 AM
Lets not Forget New Zealand...

Says the 28th for me too, you Aussies better not get them before me!

maestrokev
Sep 14, 2007, 06:40 AM
Wow...suddenly the Aussie Apple-product prices start to look pretty good.

$55K doesn't go very far in the major cities in Australia :( when you're not living with your parents.

As for price differences, compare for example the MBP or AppleCare prices on the Australian vs US Apple website. Yeah, add in the typical 8% US state sales tax and convert at existing currency exchange rate ... it's a substantial difference.

The biggest difference I've found is that in US/Canada there are big box retailers like Best Buy/Frys that will often have discounts on Apple products - yet to find these regular sales in Sydney, Australia.

Ordered mine via Apple Australia phone rep and was told often the phone orders ship before internet orders.

voi666
Sep 14, 2007, 06:43 AM
ordered from the german apple online store:

date: Sep 6, 2007
POD TOUCH 16G PERS-ZDD

Voraussichtliche Versandzeit: 28 Sep, 2007
Voraussichtliche Lieferzeit: 01 Okt, 2007 - 02 Okt, 2007

i doubt that the touch will ship early outside the us.

Evangelion
Sep 14, 2007, 07:31 AM
IPOD TOUCH 16G-CAN (Canada, obviously)

Shipped by: Sep 28
Delivered by: Oct 11 :(

Notice the tiny details: It does not say "shipped in 28th, delivered in 11th". It says "shipped BY 28th, delivered BY 11th". Um, doesn't that mean that it could be shipped/delivered sooner, and the dates they mention are just the last possible ship/delivery-dates?

cynerjist
Sep 14, 2007, 08:48 AM
IPOD TOUCH 16G-ZOO
MA627ZO/A

I'm in the UK, I have no idea what ZOO is an abbreviation for!

lol. perhaps they are embracing how multi-cultural the UK has become.

iMJustAGuy
Sep 14, 2007, 08:59 AM

thats not very logical..im sure they have some reasoning for what they are doing..

shikimo
Sep 14, 2007, 12:10 PM
$55K doesn't go very far in the major cities in Australia :( when you're not living with your parents.

Sure...I didn't mean to imply that I think it would be easy, 'cuz it never is. I've lived in a few different world economies and it seems that, while some places are undeniably more challenging when it comes to making a living (like France for example), it's not easy anywhere. (Although take a good look at Slovenia right now: young Slovenian professionals have the closest thing to a free ride I've ever seen, at least for the moment.)

As for price differences, compare for example the MBP or AppleCare prices on the Australian vs US Apple website. Yeah, add in the typical 8% US state sales tax and convert at existing currency exchange rate ... it's a substantial difference.

True...but on the individual level, exchange rates have little to do with buying power, because goods are always adjusted to local income levels, i.e. sellers can't sell if the audience can't pay the price. There are cultural values, import-export comlications and other elements at work and it's hella-complicated, but in general international currency markets aren't a good barometer of buying power for the average local consumer. The number I was trying to get at in my earlier post was what kind of hit a middle-class Australian's disposable income would take in buying an iPhone for 550 AD; although harder to quantify, this is the real story.

The biggest difference I've found is that in US/Canada there are big box retailers like Best Buy/Frys that will often have discounts on Apple products - yet to find these regular sales in Sydney, Australia.

Yeah, this doesn't happen in Europe much either...in fact, they were still selling the white iMacs at full price here for two full weeks after the August update, literally lying to my face when I asked if they knew about the updates. I would love a good explanation for this US-only bargain phenomena.

shoefly
Sep 14, 2007, 02:16 PM
Well I've had a change, my available credit just went UP $420 (the price of the 8gb touch). So they had earmarked the money for the iPod since I ordered it, then all of a sudden took that away? I hope this means they're about to charge for it.

gkarris
Sep 14, 2007, 03:05 PM

Apple doesn't dislike other countries - it just hates yours.... :p

If you try slightly harder, maybe you can be really lucky and get Microsoft to start hating you as well....

Enjoy your new iPod Touch when it comes - I just got an iPhone and watching video on it is awesome...

viccles
Sep 14, 2007, 03:46 PM
Well I've had a change, my available credit just went UP $420 (the price of the 8gb touch). So they had earmarked the money for the iPod since I ordered it, then all of a sudden took that away? I hope this means they're about to charge for it.

Can I ask where are you from?

shoefly
Sep 14, 2007, 09:37 PM
Can I ask where are you from?

Australia.

gloss
Sep 14, 2007, 09:40 PM
Maybe they're using us poor saps in the States as guinea pigs for the build quality. It's beginning to seem that way.

SirCrumpet
Sep 14, 2007, 10:29 PM
Maybe they're using us poor saps in the States as guinea pigs for the build quality. It's beginning to seem that way.

Don't worry - I'm sure ours will be just as buggy as yours :rolleyes:

bigglesworth003
Sep 14, 2007, 11:04 PM
A 16GB iPod Touch shipped anywhere in Australia is au$549 including GST. That's au$499 without GST.

A 16GB iPod Touch shipped in the US is US$399 not including tax. Including tax in NY for instance, you'd be looking at US$430.92 or au$513. vs au$549.

Comparing ex-tax (au$499) to ex-tax (us$399), at current exchange rates the difference is US$19. That's hardly a huge markup for Australia. In the case of an iPod nano the price difference after conversion and tax is seven Australian dollars. Get over it. In fact some items (ie iPod Shuffle) are a few dollars cheaper.

Thanks for that, we always forget our stupid GST!!

My Touch 16g on order, only cost me $515.40, (Company i work for is part of a group that has a corporate discount site with Apple YAY!!)

So worked out great for me, by your calculations i only paid $2.40 more than the US did! Plus free 2day shipping from China!

Cant Wait!!!

yetanotherdave
Sep 15, 2007, 02:22 AM
If you try slightly harder, maybe you can be really lucky and get Microsoft to start hating you as well....

Microsoft already hates all countries.

How else do you explain Vista? :D

hsl
Sep 15, 2007, 02:39 AM
Is that the same for all non-US orders?

Mine is called: IPOD TOUCH 16G-ZZD

maestrokev
Sep 15, 2007, 02:45 AM
Thanks for that, we always forget our stupid GST!!

My Touch 16g on order, only cost me $515.40, (Company i work for is part of a group that has a corporate discount site with Apple YAY!!)

So worked out great for me, by your calculations i only paid $2.40 more than the US did! Plus free 2day shipping from China!

Cant Wait!!!

You might find Commonwealth Bank's iPod index of interest:
http://www.comsec.com.au/public/news.aspx?id=809

Prof.
Sep 15, 2007, 02:52 AM
The country of orgin always gets the device first. Sorry mate :(

Prof. :apple:

grandeabc
Sep 15, 2007, 03:16 AM
actually, is there any way to know when other countries are getting them in?

I'm very curious about when Japan is going to have them in stores...

Opps, I'm from Tokyo and around here it will starts to ship only on 28th. I have already online order one for me, and I'll receive only on Oct.10th.
In Brazil they are already selling (unofficial, of course!)

dontwalkhand
Sep 15, 2007, 09:50 AM
The country of orgin always gets the device first. Sorry mate :(

Prof. :apple:

You mean China? ;) :apple:

viccles
Sep 15, 2007, 09:59 PM
Sorry to bump the thread, but have any Aussies had any luck?

Dave10492
Sep 15, 2007, 10:04 PM
No luck for me. I ordered off Apple online Friday @ 8:15pm, and my status hasn't changed.

iCantwait
Sep 15, 2007, 11:13 PM
ordered mine 7am on the 6th, no change

viccles
Sep 15, 2007, 11:25 PM
ordered mine 7am on the 6th, no change

Maybe sometime this week? :( I sure hope so

MsMaryMac
Sep 16, 2007, 09:16 AM
IPOD TOUCH 16G PERS-ITP
Est. Ship by: 28/09/2007
Est. Dlvy by: 08/10/2007