PDA

View Full Version : Apple Posts Details about $100 Store Credit for iPhone Owners

kingnimrod
Sep 14, 2007, 08:21 AM
www.apple.com/iphone/storecredit

I got this URL by calling 1-800-MY-APPLE this morning -- interesting, since nothing seems to be up on the Apple site about it.

Basically, here's how it works - you go to that URL, enter your phone number and serial number, then receive a text message immediately with a code, you then enter that code on the next page of the site, and it generates a credit number and pin combination.

This means that if you bought your mother or your friend an iphone, they will be getting the store credit, not you. I am curious as to whether credits can be combined or what....

I'm headed to the Apple Store today to get that sweet Logic Studio upgrade. Thanks Apple, for making me spend more money at your store!!

SthrnCmfrtr
Sep 14, 2007, 08:24 AM
Awesome, thanks.

Edit: Doh! Doesn't work for me. Says to "please try later."

Edit 2: Does work. Your phone number has to be in a XXX-XXX-XXXX format, not XXXXXXXXXX or any other variation.

MacBytes
Sep 14, 2007, 08:32 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Services
Link: iPhone $100 Store Credit (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070914093219)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

pugnut
Sep 14, 2007, 08:33 AM
Off to the store in Clearndon !

kingnimrod
Sep 14, 2007, 08:33 AM
i didn't add dashes to my phone number....so you probably mistyped your number the first time.

lord patton
Sep 14, 2007, 08:35 AM
worked here. Got it to go through while the wife was in the shower so now it's mine!!!!!!!!!!

Who am I kidding... I'll use it to buy her leopard.

SthrnCmfrtr
Sep 14, 2007, 08:39 AM
i didn't add dashes to my phone number....so you probably mistyped your number the first time.

They might be changing it still. All I did was hit "back" and put in dashes and it worked.

r6girl
Sep 14, 2007, 08:39 AM
nice find, kingnimrod! :)

kingnimrod
Sep 14, 2007, 08:42 AM
I'm just surprised that I seem to have beaten everyone else to the punch on this - notified all the mac-related news sites, then hit the board here.

I just hope they have enough copies of the Logic upgrade when I head to the store today.

macintel4me
Sep 14, 2007, 08:43 AM
How ironic. You cannot use your iphone on this site. The serial number cannot be entered. All you get is the number keypad so letters cannot be entered.

question fear
Sep 14, 2007, 08:44 AM
Worked for me! I love it, Apple did a great job handling what was probably a sticky situation.

I found it interesting that you get your code through an "AT&T free message", that is probably another way of verifying you own the phone.

sanford
Sep 14, 2007, 08:46 AM
It's also important to note that if you purchased your phone after 22nd August but didn't hear about the price drop until after the 14-day return period had expired, Apple and AT&T have extended the $200 price protection refund until 19th Sept.

So, if you missed getting your $200 refund because you didn't hear about it or couldn't get to an AT&T or Apple Store, your 14-day period has been extended all the way to 19th Sept. -- so you are still covered even if you missed the normal return window. (Like me. I tried the store credit web site and this is what it told me to do: take your receipt in by 19th Sept.) So, good news! I thought I'd have to settle for the $100 credit, but I can still get the $200 refund.

I got this URL by calling 1-800-MY-APPLE this morning -- interesting, since nothing seems to be up on the Apple site about it.

Basically, here's how it works - you go to that URL, enter your phone number and serial number, then receive a text message immediately with a code, you then enter that code on the next page of the site, and it generates a credit number and pin combination.

This means that if you bought your mother or your friend an iphone, they will be getting the store credit, not you. I am curious as to whether credits can be combined or what....

I'm headed to the Apple Store today to get that sweet Logic Studio upgrade. Thanks Apple, for making me spend more money at your store!!

kingnimrod
Sep 14, 2007, 08:47 AM
ha - just thought about that - those who unlocked their iphone and are either using with another carrier or without any carrier are basically screwed out of getting a credit, because the ONLY way to activate the credit is through the ATT message to your phone

rtdgoldfish
Sep 14, 2007, 08:53 AM
Sweet, got my credit. That was really easy. I was thinking you were going to have to submit a lot more info than that.

Thanks Apple!

tobefirst
Sep 14, 2007, 08:54 AM
That was easy. The hard part will be deciding what to spend it on. (:

billchase2
Sep 14, 2007, 08:58 AM
sweet! just got mine! :)

GTiPhone
Sep 14, 2007, 08:59 AM
OK, I Got a text message with a code, what am I suposed to do with it?

mduser63
Sep 14, 2007, 09:00 AM
That was easy. I have my credit now. Still haven't decided what to buy with it. Probably Leopard...

Note: When I printed the page, it was missing the numbers, just had the bar codes. Printing to PDF sort of fixed it, but it's still sort of messed up, with overlapping text and such...

MacRumors
Sep 14, 2007, 09:02 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple posted details (http://www.apple.com/iphone/storecredit/) about the $100 Apple Store Credit for early iPhone adopters.

If you bought your iPhone before August 22, you qualify for an instant $100 electronic credit toward the purchase of products at the Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store.

Step 1: Identify your iPhone
To confirm eligibility, simply enter your phone number and iPhone serial number in the fields provided (https://supportform.apple.com/200709/main?id=qp).

Step 2: Enter your access code
You will receive an SMS text message on your iPhone containing the access code to redeem your $100 credit. Enter your phone number and your access code in the fields provided to generate an electronic store credit.

Step 3: Get your $100 Apple Store credit
You will receive a $100 electronic store credit to purchase products at the Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store.

Requests must be submitted between September 13, 2007 and November 30, 2007.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/14/apple-posts-details-about-100-store-credit-for-iphone-owners/)

aristobrat
This is kinda "duh" obvious, but about two weeks ago, AppleCare replaced my original iPhone (that I bought on 6/29). The serial number of my replacement iPhone "wasn't eligible", so I had to hunt down my original phone's serial number.

sanford
I'm just surprised that I seem to have beaten everyone else to the punch on this - notified all the mac-related news sites, then hit the board here.

I just hope they have enough copies of the Logic upgrade when I head to the store today.

Well nimrod, since you're so on top of things this morning you think you can find us that WiFi Store update today, too? Really, I'm betting we have to wait a while longer. Alas.

jellomizer
Sep 14, 2007, 09:04 AM
Being most products from Apple are over $100.00 that means they get more profit. Perhaps a bluetooth head set.

sblasl
Sep 14, 2007, 09:04 AM
You have restored the credibility of "Newbies";);)

Thanks for the info, quite painless and is typical Apple, "It Just Works"

Thanks Again

BKKbill
Sep 14, 2007, 09:08 AM
Love the checks good the see Apple isn't just giving the money away.:p

j/k/Andy
Sep 14, 2007, 09:09 AM
too bad you can't put a $100 credit on your AT&T bill...

ma2ha3
Sep 14, 2007, 09:09 AM
what about those who bought the phone and bring to another country, like china, or europe and use them after hacking it.
how are they getting the 100 bucks?

nateDEEZY
Sep 14, 2007, 09:10 AM
That was easy. The hard part will be deciding what to spend it on. (:

Assuming you have a mac, and it doesn't expire save it for leopard ;p

what about those who bought the phone and bring to another country, like china, or europe and use them after hacking it.
how are they getting the 100 bucks?

You don't, it has to be activated through AT&T.

cliffjumper68
Sep 14, 2007, 09:11 AM
Awesome, thanks.

Edit 2: Does work. Your phone number has to be in a XXX-XXX-XXXX format, not XXXXXXXXXX or any other variation.

Thanks for the update.

sanford
Sep 14, 2007, 09:15 AM
Love the checks good the see Apple isn't just giving the money away.:p

Umm, I think the checks are reasonable, but if Apple so determined the best customer service approach would be to just give the credit away, why would you care?

sanford
Sep 14, 2007, 09:17 AM

When I found out I was still covered for the full $200 until 19th Sept., that's what I did. Called AT&T, gave them some info off ATT Store receipt, and they just slapped $200 credit on my bill at my request. I think I pay an actual partial bill in late November.

TheBusDriver
Sep 14, 2007, 09:20 AM
Wait, so we can only use these in the physical apple store, or can we use them at the online apple store too?

zeppiecr
Sep 14, 2007, 09:20 AM
just got my wife a 4gb for 199!

iPhonePlaya
Sep 14, 2007, 09:21 AM
so do u print out a gift card or do they mail u one how does that work because I want to to the apple store not online

mdwsta4
Sep 14, 2007, 09:21 AM
awesome! that was simple. perfect timing too since i'm heading out to pick up a new MBP this evening.

sanford
Sep 14, 2007, 09:22 AM
Wait, so we can only use these in the physical apple store, or can we use them at the online apple store too?

Both.

Cybergypsy
Sep 14, 2007, 09:22 AM
200.00 bucks richer commmm on Leopard!

tkidBOSTON
Sep 14, 2007, 09:23 AM
<snip>
Step 3: Get your $100 Apple Store credit
You will receive a $100 electronic store credit to purchase products at the Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store.
<snip>

See above.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch.

Cybergypsy
Sep 14, 2007, 09:26 AM
Maybe if we all put or checks together we can buy something really nice....oh but who will take it home with them :)

iPhonePlaya
Sep 14, 2007, 09:28 AM
the applestores are gonna be packed today

stagi
Sep 14, 2007, 09:29 AM
Sweet just got my 2 credits, just need to get the serial from my brother in law and I can get my last one. Then off to the store to spend my $300 :)

TheBusDriver
Sep 14, 2007, 09:31 AM
See above.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch.

I'm retarded :D

Jovian9
Sep 14, 2007, 09:33 AM
Easy to do for both my iPhone and my wife's iPhone. I went to the online store and it gives you an option to enter multiple gift cards so I got $200-off of a $200 500GB FW/USB 2.0 External Hard Drive :)

Rychy
Sep 14, 2007, 09:33 AM
Well that was simple enough. :)

Now what to spend it on? Something I planned on getting anyways, or something that I wanted but couldn't really justify....

AidenShaw
Sep 14, 2007, 09:34 AM
http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007/pulpit_20070906_002891.html

The Puppet Master: Love Steve Jobs or hate him, just don't ignore him.

By Robert X. Cringely

This weekís iPhone pricing story, in which Apple punished its most loyal users by dropping the price of an 8-gig iPhone from $599 to $399 less than three months after the productís introduction, is classic Steve Jobs.

It wasnít an accident. It wasnít a thoughtless mistake.

It was a calculated and tightly scripted exercise in marketing and ego gratification.

In the mind of Steve Jobs the entire incident had no downside, none at all, which is yet another reason why he is not like you or me.

Cringely estimates the real cost of the rebate at $25 per phone, which sounds about right. (some won't be redeemed, some people will buy more than $100, and even the $100 is only $50 real cost if an item has a 50% margin.)

Lots more in the article about the mind of Jobs....

Roy Hobbs
Sep 14, 2007, 09:38 AM
so simple and easy

lawcomic
Sep 14, 2007, 09:39 AM
Looks like you can't use the credit to buy an iTunes card. That's kind of a bummer.

What products can I purchase using an Apple Store credit code?

You can purchase just about anything sold by Apple, except another Apple Store Gift Card or an iTunes electronic Gift Certificate.

bkwest918
Sep 14, 2007, 09:40 AM
Awesome, thanks.

No you don't. I put my phone number in NXXNXXXXXX format and it worked fine.

/b

nbs2
Sep 14, 2007, 09:40 AM
ha - just thought about that - those who unlocked their iphone and are either using with another carrier or without any carrier are basically screwed out of getting a credit, because the ONLY way to activate the credit is through the ATT message to your phone

I wonder how long it will take for this thread to be dominated by people who unlocked their phones or otherwise don't have ATT service complaining that they didn't get a rebate...

GnarleyMarley
Sep 14, 2007, 09:46 AM
I wonder how long it will take for this thread to be dominated by people who unlocked their phones or otherwise don't have ATT service complaining that they didn't get a rebate...

haha. yeah. that was REALLY easy. i think i'll wait until after this weekend to go get my iMac though...

waterskier2007
Sep 14, 2007, 09:47 AM
so, if i use this on the apple online store for an order of 50 dollars will i still have 50 dollars left or is it a one time use thing and thats it, like if you dont use it its gone after first use?

Canuck4
Sep 14, 2007, 09:48 AM
That was nice and easy.
Even though I lost my receipt I still got it :)
Im glad Apple is not making us jump thru 100 hoops, mail in paperwork, proof, then wait 4-6 weeks to get the credit.
Nice, simple and instant.
Gotta give it up to them, great company for sure.

NoCleverSNForMe
Sep 14, 2007, 09:49 AM
I just switched back to Verizon -- can't wait to get home and see if this rebate will still work for me.

I wonder if they ask for your number to verify your AT&T account or to simply find out where to send you your text.

We'll see...

plumbingandtech
Sep 14, 2007, 09:50 AM
Anyone one know if the Apple Store sells Tequila?

I could go for some after this back and forth.

If not I already decided to spend my rebate on applecare.

thanks apple!

xwing1971
Sep 14, 2007, 09:51 AM
Wow! Was that easy or what? Thanks, Steve! I'll be buying my new iMac 24" now, instead of waiting for Leopard. I can get Leopard for $29 now! heheheh! Thanks again, Steve and Apple!

Rooskibar03
Sep 14, 2007, 09:52 AM
How ironic. You cannot use your iphone on this site. The serial number cannot be entered. All you get is the number keypad so letters cannot be entered.

I just did mine from my phone, now I can't print.

I was hoping they would email it to me.

waterskier2007
Sep 14, 2007, 09:55 AM

ehh that sucks you might be screwed

Lazernet
Sep 14, 2007, 09:57 AM
ehh that sucks you might be screwed

Nahh, just write down the numbers and info and you can still use it on the online store... I bet in store, they could just type it in for ya anyway. No way your the only one who did it VIA phone...

- Eric

lawcomic
Sep 14, 2007, 09:57 AM
Do you physically need the printout? Or do you just need the numbers?

mpuck972
Sep 14, 2007, 10:00 AM
Well I bought mine on the 17th of August at an AT&T store, and my credit wont process. So now I have to send an email to them, and hope they sort it out.

My experiance with Apple products has not been too good so far. After buying the iPhone as my first Apple Product, and then getting dinged for $200 because I bought it 4 days too soon, I had to exchange my first iPod yesterday at the store. I bought a 160gb iPod Classic and while playing with it I noticed the click wheel wasnt installed correctly. So I take it to the store and clerk tells me that some iPods are just assembeled that way? So I had to argue with her and explain that I had hoped for better quality to get them to exchange it for one that was assembled correctly. I thought Apple was supposed to be this great company with flawless products, and customer service that was above the rest. Guess they are just another company.

rdowns
Sep 14, 2007, 10:02 AM

Nonsense, I did it on my iPhone and finished up on computer so I could print out form.

I guess I need to go get a $49 nano.

soosy
Sep 14, 2007, 10:03 AM
Does the $100 credit/certificate have any sort of expiration on it?

Kedrik
Sep 14, 2007, 10:06 AM
Worked quickly and easily for me :D I'm over my mad.

Gonzlobo
Sep 14, 2007, 10:07 AM
OK, I Got a text message with a code, what am I suposed to do with it?

REad the instructions on the website.

PupnTaco
Well done, Apple. Works quick & easy!

happydude
more evidence of jobs's genious. how many people who have posted have said they're trying to decide what to spend it on that costs more than $100. vs. just giving out a $100 check, all this money gets turned around right back into the company and who out there is going to spend just $100. turning all the whiners into immediate spenders - brilliant.

spetykowski
Sep 14, 2007, 10:09 AM
I just got my 100 dollars and it could not have been any easier, i was afraid that they were going to need a receipt.. Which i accidentally threw away.... OOPS!!! but they just a phone number and serial number... Im very pleased with the way that apple handled the whole Price Drop Situation!!!. THANKS APPLE

bdj21ya
Sep 14, 2007, 10:12 AM
Well, THAT was amazingly easy. If only every rebate process could be so streamlined. Kudos to Apple for creating an amazing process for something they weren't obligated to provide.

thinkinFRESH
Sep 14, 2007, 10:14 AM
thank you apple :D

SilentPanda
Sep 14, 2007, 10:15 AM
Does the $100 credit/certificate have any sort of expiration on it?

No.

jersey
Sep 14, 2007, 10:16 AM
so does this mean all the ebay people are going to get the credit? What if I enter a valid serial, and valid non-iPhone AT&T number, then what? Just curious, thats all.

ICN16x9
So simple a caveman could do it. This caveman took care of all 3 phones in less than 5 minutes... printed them out and now has $300 to put back in Apple's pocket. If only buying car insurance was this simple!

nizz
very easy, took 2 minutes.
well worth the wait since steves announcement

zwida
Sep 14, 2007, 10:17 AM
Well that was simple enough. :)

Now what to spend it on? Something I planned on getting anyways, or something that I wanted but couldn't really justify....

Heh. Not much difference between those two for many people, I'd guess. If I really NEEDED it (for work, or whatever) I'd probably have plunked the cash down already.

Zanevalon
Sep 14, 2007, 10:19 AM
i bought mine on the 29th =\ it would have been nice to get that extra 200$ back if i just waited a lil bit but i guess 100$ that goes back into apple's pocket is nice too :confused:

LimeyYankee
Sep 14, 2007, 10:20 AM
Quick and easy! When it said it may take up to 5 minutes for the text to arrive it brought back memories of activating my iPhone on the June 30th :eek: but the text arrived in seconds :D

Thanks Apple! Off to the store we go.

bdj21ya
Sep 14, 2007, 10:25 AM

Ah my friend, you must not have the screenshot tool installed yet. Get onto hacking your way to a better iPhone experience.

sixth
Sep 14, 2007, 10:27 AM
Wont work for me, bought mine the day it came out. No go, says not eligible.

McCarron
Sep 14, 2007, 10:28 AM
Super easy, thanks Apple!

It will be used for my upcoming Leopard or the Wireless Keyboard.

Twinsbb17
Sep 14, 2007, 10:28 AM
I bought my iPhone launch day, activated with a prepaid plan and then cancelled it to use it just as a Web Browser, iPod, Photo Viewer, and Calender. So now it doesn't work as a phone, can I still get this rebate?

oogje
Sep 14, 2007, 10:30 AM
Wont work for me, bought mine the day it came out. No go, says not eligible.

I tried several times before I figured out the 'S' in my serial number wasn't a '5'.

voicegy
Sep 14, 2007, 10:31 AM
:mad:

Ever since I heard of the credit, I thought "Cool! iTunes store, here I come - time to pick up another hundred songs!" Then I read the terms and conditions:

Customers may not redeem their store credits: (1) at any iTunes Store in the United States or elsewhere, (2) Apple Store locations outside the United States; (3) at Apple resellers; (4) for cash; (5) to purchase Apple Gift Cards, or,iTunes Store Gift Certificates, to give iTunes Store content as gifts, or to create iTunes Store allowances; or (6) as payments on Apple accounts.

Sorry, Apple - but THAT blows chunks.

Bernie-Mac
Sep 14, 2007, 10:32 AM
This is kinda "duh" obvious, but about two weeks ago, AppleCare replaced my original iPhone (that I bought on 6/29). The serial number of my replacement iPhone "wasn't eligible", so I had to hunt down my original phone's serial number.

Oh....thats what i am going to have to do then...crap..

ricosuave
Sep 14, 2007, 10:34 AM
gosh darnit! I activated on iDay ( june 29 ) and chose the month to month option. I let the month expire and used up all my minutes. Since I still have a contract with T Mobile until Dec 5, I ported the number back to T Mobile so they would waive the early termination fee. Which they did.

I was planning to go back to ATT on Dec 6 but now the fine print says this store credit must be done by Nov 30!

I have been using my razr and enjoying my iPhone as a "revolutionary internet device" all this time.

What to do? What to do?...

cmschmidt
Sep 14, 2007, 10:36 AM
anyone planning on buying something more expensive wanna buy my credit? i'm assuming anybody can use the credit number right?

oogje
Sep 14, 2007, 10:42 AM
anyone planning on buying something more expensive wanna buy my credit? i'm assuming anybody can use the credit number right?

The credits are not transferable.

Customers may not resell, transfer, or otherwise assign the credits.

Project
Sep 14, 2007, 10:44 AM
Looks like you can't use the credit to buy an iTunes card. That's kind of a bummer.

lol, sneaky. Apple barely make any money on those so I can sort of understand this.

tismfu
Sep 14, 2007, 10:46 AM
My dot mac membership is scheduled to auto-renew next month. I tried changing my settings so that I could pay most of the bill with the iPhone credit, but it only wants to take credit cards. Anyone know how I can pay for my .mac renewal with this credit?

Thanks.

sparkomatic
Sep 14, 2007, 10:54 AM
so does this mean all the ebay people are going to get the credit? What if I enter a valid serial, and valid non-iPhone AT&T number, then what? Just curious, thats all.

Don't think it's gonna work. I bought two phones. One for me and one for a friend (who is currently out of the country). I was able to get my refund, no problem and have the serial number of her phone from my receipt.

I used a non-iphone at&t number from one of my other phones and her serial number but can't get the credit to go through. Guess I'll have to wait till she gets back from overseas.

daveporter
Sep 14, 2007, 10:55 AM
Going through the rebait process was very simple and very fast. Good show Apple!

Now I will use the $100 to help purchase a copy of the new Logic Studio 8 bundle (what a deal!) tomorrow.

Lets see, Apple gives me a rebate and I give them $399 more...who says Steve is dumb! ;-)

Dave

Telp
Sep 14, 2007, 10:58 AM

So how do you type the serial number if it only gives you a numeric keyboard?

Island Dog
Sep 14, 2007, 10:59 AM
Very easy to get the credit. Now what do I spend this on?

:)

voicegy
Sep 14, 2007, 11:05 AM
Very easy to get the credit. Now what do I spend this on?

:)

Read the terms and conditions to see what you CAN'T spend it on first.

gschumsky
Sep 14, 2007, 11:12 AM
Okay, so what if I bought an iPhone as a gift for a friend? I have the receipt which I assume has the serial number on it, but how do I get the ATT message?

cmschmidt
Sep 14, 2007, 11:14 AM
Okay, so what if I bought an iPhone as a gift for a friend? I have the receipt which I assume has the serial number on it, but how do I get the ATT message?

umm...you call your friend and say "hey gimme the code that you just got"...

voicegy
Sep 14, 2007, 11:15 AM

You don't. You don't own the phone, your friend does. The friend gets it. Tell the friend to give the rebate to you. Prepare to lose friendship.

bigmc6000
Sep 14, 2007, 11:15 AM
For those searching for ideas... I bought 4 $25 iTunes gift cards - the shipping is free and since tax is assessed later it's tax free so you really only spend $100 :) If I manage to hold on to any of them long enough I can give them away as Christmas presents! :) haha

shane1598
Sep 14, 2007, 11:24 AM
Sweet! But I did the three steps from my iPhone and obviously I can't print off the credit. I hope just writing down the credit# and pin # is good enough for my mac mini

BKKbill
Sep 14, 2007, 11:24 AM
Umm, I think the checks are reasonable, but if Apple so determined the best customer service approach would be to just give the credit away, why would you care?

Well if you really want too know I own some apple stock. Do you?

bigmc6000
Sep 14, 2007, 11:27 AM

Ever since I heard of the credit, I thought "Cool! iTunes store, here I come - time to pick up another hundred songs!" Then I read the terms and conditions:

Customers may not redeem their store credits: (1) at any iTunes Store in the United States or elsewhere, (2) Apple Store locations outside the United States; (3) at Apple resellers; (4) for cash; (5) to purchase Apple Gift Cards, or,iTunes Store Gift Certificates, to give iTunes Store content as gifts, or to create iTunes Store allowances; or (6) as payments on Apple accounts.

Umm - I just did it and didn't have a single hang up... You might try it anyway...

iKwick7
Sep 14, 2007, 11:31 AM
What to buy, what to buy.

I could use it for Leapord (anyone know when it's due out?), but I was planning on getting that anyway.

Maybe a nice Apple TV is in order.

GeekLawyer
Sep 14, 2007, 11:39 AM
That was really easy and now I don't know what to buy. I could hold off until next month and get Leopard, but I'm like a kid with his allowance. It's burning a hole in my pocket! I have too many iPods to justify even a $49 nano.

Damn you, Steve Jobs! :p

chr1s60
Sep 14, 2007, 11:41 AM
I wonder how many iPhone users will not know about this or fill out their info before the deadline. I knew there would be something like that so some owner never would take advantage of it. Now I am just wondering how many orders of Leopard Apple will be shipping for only $29.

mobilehavoc
Sep 14, 2007, 11:45 AM

Rotate it into landscape mode...I think you get full keyboard then.

craigverse
Sep 14, 2007, 11:46 AM
So maybe I'm missing something something but... after I get the text from att saying "Here is your Apple Store credit access code:******" What exactly do I do with it?

iKwick7
Sep 14, 2007, 11:47 AM
So maybe I'm missing something something but... after I get the text from att saying "Here is your Apple Store credit access code:******" What exactly do I do with it?

Go back to the website you entered your info into and enter that- then print out the credit that shows up.

Twinsbb17
Sep 14, 2007, 11:48 AM
I bought my iPhone launch day, activated with a prepaid plan and then cancelled it to use it just as a Web Browser, iPod, Photo Viewer, and Calender. So now it doesn't work as a phone, can I still get this rebate?

If I submitted my info I wouldn't get the text message. Has anyone had any luck calling Apple and getting their rebate?

GeekLawyer
Sep 14, 2007, 11:50 AM
If I submitted my info I wouldn't get the text message. Has anyone had any luck calling Apple and getting their rebate?

Have you? Try it and let us know.

KingYaba
Sep 14, 2007, 12:03 PM
Can you transfer the $100 to someone, let us say, an individual who is planning a computer purchase in five days?

chp5592
Sep 14, 2007, 12:04 PM
What pain. I am using the phone now! It says

"You may not be eligible.
We show that this iPhone has been returned and is not eligible for the $100 Apple Store credit. For questions, please email Apple at iPhonestorecredit@apple.com. Be sure to include your name, iPhone serial number, the place of purchase (AT&T, Apple Retail Store, or Apple Online Store), the date of purchase and a copy of this entire message. Please see the terms and conditions for more details about
e right now. "

I just wrote them the e-mail with my info and store receipt. Hope they correct this problem. My wife's phone went through fine!!

craigverse
Sep 14, 2007, 12:06 PM
Go back to the website you entered your info into and enter that- then print out the credit that shows up.

Thanks, I didn't realize when I had it send the code the page changed and then asked for the code I received instead of my serial.

Now how do I go about tricking it into letting me buy an itunes card something or other.

philipcolett
Sep 14, 2007, 12:08 PM
I entered it in, and it says it is invalid! What do I do? I emailed them, is that it?

tooshaggy
Sep 14, 2007, 12:14 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

worked great. Did it on the iPhone.... I do not recommend it tho. Gotta print a page. Or write down numbers and keep em.

PlaceofDis
Sep 14, 2007, 12:17 PM
very nice and simple to do, as is typical apple style. i was wondering when they'd get around to posting the details, now to go and spend it...

irun5k
Sep 14, 2007, 12:17 PM
Cringely estimates the real cost of the rebate at $25 per phone, which sounds about right. (some won't be redeemed, some people will buy more than $100, and even the $100 is only $50 real cost if an item has a 50% margin.)

I'd thought about that too, but there are cases where this logic wouldn't apply. For example, I was going to buy Leopard anyway. Now, I'll just put this $100 toward it. Regardless of the margin on Leopard, nothing changes that fact that Apple would have gotten an extra $100 from me on the day Leopard is released. Kind of an opportunity cost, if you will.

I hope lots of people who go refunds already had a purchase planned. For the consumer, this is the only way that the $100 credit will be "as good as cash."

Hodapp
Sep 14, 2007, 12:25 PM
Haha, sweet. I went in the day of the price change to complain and got a $214 gift card. The guy must have mis-typed my serial number because I just claimed an additional $100.

$314 off my iPhone, not too shabby. :apple:

LizKat
Sep 14, 2007, 12:26 PM
So.... what, I need to get in the car and drive someplace where there's an ATT tower and try to do this whole gig on the phone itself? will that work? I live in a dead zone so I can't "start the process" from a powerbook hooked up to DSL and expect to get a text message from ATT on my iPhone in the ensuing moments... I live about 35 miles from a good tower. And I have no clue how to know if a text message has arrived on my iPhone or how to get it when it shows up. Doh, life's gonna be full of adventures for this hundred bucks, eh?

I may need to pack up the iPhone and the powerbook associated with it, drive somewhere into an ATT-served zone and beg access to someone's DSL long enough to get this over with. Sometime before it snows.

Well I'm off to the dentist who wants to spend ALL my money on HIS computing equipment, and of course it ain't Apple so I'm grumpy today for the best of reasons.

SthrnCmfrtr
Sep 14, 2007, 12:27 PM
Haha, sweet. I went in the day of the price change to complain and got a $214 gift card. The guy must have mis-typed my serial number because I just claimed an additional $100.

:-/ That's kinda messed-up, actually.

jinr
Sep 14, 2007, 12:28 PM

Apple Gift cards, iTunes Store Gift Certificates and gifts to the iTunes Store are different that iTunes Gift cards. iTunes Store Gift Certificates are customizable throught the online store, store.apple.com. iTunes gift cards are physical cards that allow you to buy things throught the iTunes Music store. thus, you can go buy an iTunes Gift card and get a hundred more songs. so before telling Apple that they blow chunks, try to realize what they're offering.

wongulous
Sep 14, 2007, 12:40 PM

Well, really, it's more like $100-200ish WORTH of free products (Apple as well as retail markup, remember) more than $314 off your iPhone... but people are not going to be responding to this post positively... fanboys don't like you stealing from Apple. Lol.

hstnprepboy
Sep 14, 2007, 12:50 PM
Anyone else notice the Bluetooth icon next to the battery meter on the picture of the iPhone at http://www.apple.com/iphone/storecredit/?

http://images.apple.com/iphone/storecredit/images/welcome_hero_20070913.png

PlaceofDis
Sep 14, 2007, 12:52 PM
Anyone else notice the Bluetooth icon next to the battery meter on the picture of the iPhone at http://www.apple.com/iphone/storecredit/

um, so? the iPhones have Bluetooth...

tranced25
Sep 14, 2007, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=io_burn;4180779]Haha, sweet. I went in the day of the price change to complain and got a $214 gift card. The guy must have mis-typed my serial number because I just claimed an additional $100.

Unscrupulous!

drater
Sep 14, 2007, 12:56 PM
Can you transfer the $100 to someone, let us say, an individual who is planning a computer purchase in five days?
Just use it to buy a $100 Apple gift certificate.

How ironic, if you're like many, you saw Apple trying to rip you off and, if like most people, you were soooooooooo angry chanting "down with Apple", but now that you rip them off and get double your credit, you're chanting "woo hoo!". Saw this happening a mile away.

The whole "do what I say, not what I do" kind of junk. Now I just can't wait to hear people's justifications.

smcdowell
Sep 14, 2007, 12:57 PM
Sweet! 0 to $100 in 2.6 seconds. I love Apple, if this were a Microsoft product you would have to:

Call a phone number and spend 30 minutes on hold
Then find out that the person who answered has no freakiní idea what you are calling about
They would then transfer you to some other division and during the transfer the call would drop
You then have to call back and wait 37 more minutes
Get transferred again
They would then request the original UPC code from the box that phone came in, along with a copy of the receipt and what the exact temperature was in Machu Picchu the day you made the purchase
You would then have to wait 6 to 8 weeks for the refund check to arrive
Deposit the check
Then finally make your purchase

This entire iPhone story should be recorded in a text book on how to provide excellent customer service.

Well Iím off to spend my $100.

What will you buy?

S-

Hodapp
Sep 14, 2007, 01:02 PM
How ironic, if you're like many, you saw Apple trying to rip you off and, if like most people, you were soooooooooo angry chanting "down with Apple", but now that you rip them off and get double your credit, you're chanting "woo hoo!". Saw this happening a mile away.

The whole "do what I say, not what I do" kind of junk.

I wasn't even upset about the price drop. I read online about my local Apple store giving refunds, and I had a business meeting at a nearby restaurant that afternoon so I figured why not? If Apple is giving away free money I'm certainly not going to turn it down.

Same thing with the $100 offer today, entering my serial took me about 20 seconds, why wouldn't I enter it in just to try?

:cool:

sanford
Sep 14, 2007, 01:03 PM
um, so? the iPhones have Bluetooth...

No Dis, you and I have iPhone Special Editions, you know the ones that come with Bluetooth. Most people just got the ones with, um, well... Bluetooth.

Prepboy, go into Settings/General and turn Bluetooth on and you too shall behold the fabled Bluetooth icon. :)

mediaprodguy
Sep 14, 2007, 01:11 PM
i printed the code as an ADOBE PDF - e-mailed it to myself - and can now see it on my iphone - so i dont need the stupid sheet.

sanford
Sep 14, 2007, 01:11 PM

First of all, everybody leave this guy alone. It's his decision and accepting an offered gift card before a policy was established and then also accepting the policy-based $100 is at best an ethical gray area. He's not stealing. They gave it to him.

And, io_burn, they didn't mistype your serial number. He typed it just fine. The web system is only meant to check *when* you bought your iPhone, not whether or not Apple issued a special pre-policy refund on your iPhone. If you bought before 22nd August, I don't care if Steve Jobs personally loaned you his private jet for the week, you'll still get the $100 store credit because the system matches sale date, not wether you received any kind of special consideration from Apple or AT&T. If you bought 22nd Aug. or after you now have until 19th Sept., longer than the original 14-day return period, to get the full $200 back instead of just the $100 store credit -- and the $200 you can have credited to your credit card or AT&T account so it's tantamount to cash, not a limited-used credit.

I wasn't upset by the price drop either. I can't honestly say whether I would have double-dipped or not, because I couldn't having bought after Aug. 22 and being given a $200 credit to my AT&T account this morning. But let's face it people, it's tempting.

Frankly, too, I don't think Apple gives a flip. They didn't set this up to stop people from double-dipping, they set it up to make sure you own an iPhone and still own it and also extend the normal 14-day return window to almost 30 days to allow more early buyers extra time to get their full $200 back. In io_burn they now have a double-happy customer who will probably drop more than the $100 credit while he's in the Apple Store anyway. They'll *make* money off giving him the store credit.

rdowns
Sep 14, 2007, 01:12 PM
What happens if I go to the Apple Store and buy something for less than $100. How will they handle the future credit?

drater
Sep 14, 2007, 01:13 PM
I wasn't even upset about the price drop. I read online about my local Apple store giving refunds, and I had a business meeting at a nearby restaurant that afternoon so I figured why not? If Apple is giving away free money I'm certainly not going to turn it down.

Same thing with the $100 offer today, entering my serial took me about 20 seconds, why wouldn't I enter it in just to try?

that's cool. I hope when someone steals your credit card and does what they are not supposed to do with it you just pay the bill. Cause it probably only took them 20 seconds to do it. The kicker would be if in your meeting you were talking about ethics.

ucfgrad93
Sep 14, 2007, 01:14 PM
I had a business meeting at a nearby restaurant that afternoon so I figured why not? If Apple is giving away free money I'm certainly not going to turn it down.

Man, I'd hate to do business with you. If you treat Apple this way, I'd hate to see how you treat your customers or business associates.

You said earlier that you had gotten the price difference back, and yet you just couldn't help yourself stealing another $100. Pathetic.

Hodapp
Sep 14, 2007, 01:16 PM
Yeah, I bet Steve is feeding his kids left over government cheese tonight because I got an extra $100 credit. :(

Crap. :(

sanford
Sep 14, 2007, 01:18 PM
What happens if I go to the Apple Store and buy something for less than $100. How will they handle the future credit?

Probably issue a store credit or gift card for the difference.

alexacker
Sep 14, 2007, 01:19 PM
My wife will be happy when I give her a new iPhone tonight. I am happy I paid $299.

drater
Sep 14, 2007, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I bet Steve is feeding his kids left over government cheese tonight because I got an extra $100 credit. :(

always some sort of justification for stealing. kind of funny i think. I stole this one time from the Apple Store and as they were about to call the cops the manager rushed in and said, "no, wait! its ok, let him go, Steve has enough money." and I got to keep the stuff I took too. Grabbed an extra iPod nano on the way out. It was nice.

DonWilson
Sep 14, 2007, 01:22 PM
Weird, says my iPhone has been returned. WTF is that!

drichx
Sep 14, 2007, 01:24 PM
Don't know if anyone's posted about this yet, but did anyone notice on the bottom of the page where it says where you can find your serial number...in the General Menu there's a spot where it says "Home Button". This could be referring to the two-tap feature for music playback that the iPod Touch has.

sanford
Sep 14, 2007, 01:25 PM
Man, I'd hate to do business with you. If you treat Apple this way, I'd hate to see how you treat your customers or business associates.

You said earlier that you had gotten the price difference back, and yet you just couldn't help yourself stealing another $100. Pathetic.

He didn't steal anything. Apple gave him both credits sans coercion. I don't think he even had to lie about anything when he submitted his iPhone information. Bottom line is there are tons of people who got pre-policy Apple or AT&T credits and got the store credit, too. io_burn is just one of the few willing to admit he did it.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with what he did, I'm just saying it's his call. I got treated like garbage by some moron in the Apple Store this week who refused to do a Genius stand-by appointment for or help me at all until 10 hours later, saying it was company policy, when they had two Geniuses just standing around doing nothing a bunch of no-show appointments on a rainy day. I called and complained to the GM and she was apologetic but offered me nothing for the grand total of fours, almost three of it wasted, to handle this matter which was an AppleCare-covered matter. io_burn took an extra $100 in store credit, Apple cost me loss of income around $200 by wasting my time for nothing and allowing a clerk to lie to me without firing his sorry ass or offering me something for my trouble. I like Apple, their products and their retail stores, but I'm not crying my eyes out they coughed up a little extra store credit to some people.

A Nordstrom manager would have given me a $100 gift card on the spot for the way I was treated.

irun5k
Sep 14, 2007, 01:26 PM

You're right, it is perfectly fine to be unethical as long as it doesn't lead to someone being unable to eat. Right and wrong is based on how much damage it does to the other person, not on the action itself, huh?

This isn't a GRAY AREA... read the letter from Steve Jobs:

"Therefore, we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store."

That means, you aren't eligible. Anyway, you should run along and pirate some music and movies, because it won't lead to anyone eating government cheese.

mklos
Sep 14, 2007, 01:27 PM
I just switched back to Verizon -- can't wait to get home and see if this rebate will still work for me.

I wonder if they ask for your number to verify your AT&T account or to simply find out where to send you your text.

We'll see...

Wait a minute...so you got your iPhone to work with Verizon Cell service? How? I thought that if you hacked your iPhone you could still either use T-Mobile or AT&T? Guess I might be wrong...

SLAPSHOTW
Sep 14, 2007, 01:28 PM

What? It gives you the whole keyboard, always. You probably just hit the number button on the bottom right by accident.

Hodapp
Sep 14, 2007, 01:28 PM
Getting the $214 from the Apple store was laughably easy. I didn't plan to put up any kind of fight, I just walked in on the way to lunch, asked the dude at the cash register if they were doing anything about the iPhone price difference and mere moments later I was holding a $214 gift card.

Then I put in my serial number.

Total time invested: under 5 minutes.

SLAPSHOTW
Sep 14, 2007, 01:29 PM
Don't know if anyone's posted about this yet, but did anyone notice on the bottom of the page where it says where you can find your serial number...in the General Menu there's a spot where it says "Home Button". This could be referring to the two-tap feature for music playback that the iPod Touch has.

And it says international!

sanford
Sep 14, 2007, 01:29 PM

No doubt. No doubt. They used iPhones with new firmware for that web page, except for the one on the first page which would have been a dead giveaway showing the WiFi Store icon. What I'd really like more than any extra $100 credit or whatever is the WiFi Store firmware update to be released today, even if the other upcoming updates -- two-tap Home button, video-out, photo events sync'ing, maybe video clip recording, who knows -- have to wait a while longer.

sanford
Sep 14, 2007, 01:33 PM
You're right, it is perfectly fine to be unethical as long as it doesn't lead to someone being unable to eat. Right and wrong is based on how much damage it does to the other person, not on the action itself, huh?

This isn't a GRAY AREA... read the letter from Steve Jobs:

"Therefore, we have decided to offer every iPhone customer who purchased an iPhone from either Apple or AT&T, and who is not receiving a rebate or any other consideration, a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store."

That means, you aren't eligible. Anyway, you should run along and pirate some music and movies, because it won't lead to anyone eating government cheese.

That was in the letter, but not in that I noticed in the form you filled out online. Making it a gray area.

drater
Sep 14, 2007, 01:34 PM
Getting the $214 from the Apple store was laughably easy. I didn't plan to put up any kind of fight, I just walked in on the way to lunch, asked the dude at the cash register if they were doing anything about the iPhone price difference and mere moments later I was holding a $214 gift card.

Then I put in my serial number.

Total time invested: under 5 minutes.

the moral of the story is 1. you thought it was funny, 2. you gloated about it and 3. after knowing you already got credit, tried to get more.

No one cares about how much time it took for you to do it. What's you CC#? I'll show you how much I can get in 5 minutes. But only five minutes, cause that wouldn't be stealing.

FirePak
Sep 14, 2007, 01:37 PM
Not sure if this has already been mentioned. I bought the iphone, did the pre pay thing then canceled before the second month. I cant make calls or anything like that and i was able to get the access code. So people who did did the prepaid then cancel should still be able to get the code.

sanford
Sep 14, 2007, 01:38 PM
Sounds like the peter griffen excuse for overly stated welfare checks if you ask me.

Cashing welfare checks in excess is by statute a crime. Signing up for a free $100 Apple Store credit that does not bind you to any statement that you have not already received consideration is not.

Again I'm not saying I agree with this on an ethical basis. I'm saying this is a corporation and the corporation does what's best for the corporation. Giving the $100 credit was best for the corporation. If in the cost/benefit analysis they figured they'd lose more than they'd gain by smooching the early buyers, they wouldn't have offered the credit. Same for offering price protection for the full $200 longer than the normal 14-day period. Not best for the corporation, they wouldn't have done it. So io_burn here does what's best for him, although my *personal* ethics would almost surely prevent me from doing it, I can't fault the guy for looking out for himself over an entity that would look out for itself over him.

exo
Sep 14, 2007, 01:39 PM
Hey, new mac convert - iPhone was my first Apple purchase (I even avoided iPods for years!). Picked up an iPhone on the third day it was released. I didn't know anything about any open letter but when I saw the new prices in the window at my local Apple store I went in and asked about it and they immediately gave me a $200 refund no-questions asked.

Then earlier today I got the text from a friend about the rebate and assumed that it was eligable for everyone?? I just followed the process, put my serial number and got my gift-card on top of my refund...I thought everybody got one? Hey, its not my fault if Apple wanna give me extra money - they've certainly got themselves a lifetime custmer in me after such awesome treatment! $200 back and $100 bonus = love for :apple:!

drater
Sep 14, 2007, 01:43 PM
Cashing welfare checks in excess is by statute a crime. Signing up for a free $100 Apple Store credit that does not bind you to any statement that you have not already received consideration is not.

Again I'm not saying I agree with this on an ethical basis. I'm saying this is a corporation and the corporation does what's best for the corporation. Giving the $100 credit was best for the corporation. If in the cost/benefit analysis they figured they'd lose more than they'd gain by smooching the early buyers, they wouldn't have offered the credit. Same for offering price protection for the full $200 longer than the normal 14-day period. Not best for the corporation, they wouldn't have done it. So io_burn here does what's best for him, although my *personal* ethics would almost surely prevent me from doing it, I can't fault the guy for looking out for himself over an entity that would look out for itself over him.

I'm not questioning the grey area here, I'm questioning the integrity and ethical standards io_burn has. Which obviously is lacking and not a matter of looking out for himself.

And I said he used the same kind of excuse, I didn't compare the crimes.

sanford
Sep 14, 2007, 01:44 PM
the moral of the story is 1. you thought it was funny, 2. you gloated about it and 3. after knowing you already got credit, tried to get more.

No one cares about how much time it took for you to do it. What's you CC#? I'll show you how much I can get in 5 minutes. But only five minutes, cause that wouldn't be stealing.

drater,

From a purely business standpoint, what you and I should be doing rather than debating ethics on this forum is complaining to Apple that is indeed laughably easy for people to get $300 credit on their early purchased iPhone and that we as customers who did receive $200 refund consideration or will receive feel if other customers are receiving an additional $100 store credit, we should receive it, too.

tismfu
Sep 14, 2007, 01:46 PM
That was in the letter, but not in that I noticed in the form you filled out online. Making it a gray area.We can only deem it a 'gray' area if we have questionable ethics to being with. The fact that we have to point to "well, it wasn't explicitly stated right where I performed the act" makes it sleazy, in my humble opinion.

But people have been justifying their sleazy acts with selective morality ("hey, it's greedy corporate America, it DESERVES to be swindled") since the beginning of time, and will continue to do so until the end.

My only hope is to avoid dealing with such people.

drater
Sep 14, 2007, 01:50 PM
drater,

From a purely business standpoint, what you and I should be doing rather than debating ethics on this forum is complaining to Apple that is indeed laughably easy for people to get $300 credit on their early purchased iPhone and that we as customers who did receive $200 refund consideration or will receive feel if other customers are receiving an additional $100 store credit, we should receive it, too.

Actually, that's not what I'm going to debate at all considering that is not the subject at hand, nor has anything to do with what is going on. So you can quit your mockery and stop trying to lessen my opinion by claiming I'm just looking for a refund.

I used to work in an ethics office for a corporation = evil.

Anonymous Freak
Sep 14, 2007, 01:50 PM
I accepted the AT&T-assigned phone number when activating the phone.

A month later, (when I had decided for certain that I was happy with AT&T service,) I had my old phone number ported over to my iPhone.

Thus, my iPhone's phone number changed.

Apple's form says I "may not be eligible", so I have just sent off an email providing documentation of the phone number change.

LxTxNx
Sep 14, 2007, 01:56 PM
Does this work for custmers that bought their iPhone at an AT&T store?

FirePak
Sep 14, 2007, 01:57 PM
I bought mine from an At&t store and it worked just fine.

Crike .40
Sep 14, 2007, 01:58 PM
I can't wait to get home... I bought my fiance an 8gb a week after they came out and have been pining for one for myself ever since. The 100$ rebate plus being able to find 4gb for 299$ has finally pushed me over the edge, and as I am already AT&T total cost for 2 years of use will only be ~680$. Not too bad, considering i paid almost that much just for the phone itself the first time around.

Kamera RAWr
Sep 14, 2007, 02:01 PM
Too bad we can't use the credit on the ITMS :(. Oh well..

drater
Sep 14, 2007, 02:04 PM
Too bad we can't use the credit on the ITMS :(. Oh well..

use part of it to buy yourself an iTunes gift card. or multiple cards.

LxTxNx
Sep 14, 2007, 02:08 PM
I bought mine from an At&t store and it worked just fine.

For me it keeps saying "Please enter an eligible iPhone Serial Number. " and I bought mine June 30th at an at&t store.

Help?!?

Peace
Sep 14, 2007, 02:10 PM
I got mine at the AT&T store on day one.Entered all the info and got the text message with the credit # etc.
Promptly went to the online Apple store.Purchased the universal dock and component cable.Came to $98.00..Checked out and there I go!..

chim9999
Sep 14, 2007, 02:18 PM
very easy. turned around and got apple care!

(thx, steve!)

JPyre
Sep 14, 2007, 02:18 PM
It doesn't work for me, I think it might be because I transfered my number 2 days after launch. I'm on hold with AC now. I called once before and gave them my number, they couldn't find it so they asked for my serial....

Anybody else with a ported number that can't register?

Edit: ahhh.... Apple Care is 3-way calling at&t because my account info IS wrong....

sanford
Sep 14, 2007, 02:27 PM
I'm not much for the one bad turn deserves another ethics, either. And Apple has actually been rather decent about this whole deal, offering the credit *and* extending the rebate period. So we agree I think on the ethics standpoint, I'm just saying I can't stand in judgement of io_burn on an issue like this one.

We can only deem it a 'gray' area if we have questionable ethics to being with. The fact that we have to point to "well, it wasn't explicitly stated right where I performed the act" makes it sleazy, in my humble opinion.

But people have been justifying their sleazy acts with selective morality ("hey, it's greedy corporate America, it DESERVES to be swindled") since the beginning of time, and will continue to do so until the end.

My only hope is to avoid dealing with such people.

CCStandUpFan
Sep 14, 2007, 02:29 PM
Taking the $100 credit when you've already gotten a $200 rebate is a violation of the Terms and Conditions listed at the bottom of:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/storecredit/

Also, you won't be able to buy anything from iTunes with it.

"Terms and Conditions for the $100 store credit for Early iPhone owners program
Some iPhones will not qualify for a credit. They are: (3) iPhones for which a Gift Card, rebate, or other consideration have already been issued.
Customers may not redeem their store credits: (5) to purchase Apple Gift Cards, or,iTunes Store Gift Certificates, to give iTunes Store content as gifts, or to create iTunes Store allowances."

They could have installed hoops to make it difficult. They didn't. That's not a license to double-dip.

Kwill
Sep 14, 2007, 02:33 PM
Sweet! But I did the three steps from my iPhone and obviously I can't print off the credit. I hope just writing down the credit# and pin # is good enough for my mac mini
Can you email it from your phone to your Mac to print out?

sanford
Sep 14, 2007, 02:53 PM
I got mine at the AT&T store on day one.Entered all the info and got the text message with the credit # etc.
Promptly went to the online Apple store.Purchased the universal dock and component cable.Came to $98.00..Checked out and there I go!..

Peace, the component video-out cable? The one that connect to the dock connector? It's already out? Thought it was a couple weeks away. Anyway, if it's component, not composite, then it's video-out and it won't work yet as the iPhone doesn't support video-out. Yet. Next update, I'm sure for feature parity with iPod touch. But if it's the old headphone-jack composite A/V cable, I'd take it back as it will only fit the dock not the iPhone without an adapter, and the new component A/V cable uses the dock connector, comes with a USB AC adapter and has a USB plug on the cable to charge via computer or AC adapter while you are playing video-out. For only like $50, I think. Of course you can keep the dock if you need a spare, but if you don't need an extra, you won't need that either as the new dock connector component A/V cable should work just fine with the iPhone dock. The S-video on the universal dock won't work at all with iPhone and may never.

Doctor Q
Sep 14, 2007, 02:59 PM
Too bad we can't use the credit on the ITMS :(. Oh well..Since your credit has no expiration date, you'll eventually save the money on something you buy from an Apple Store. Use that savings for iTunes Store purchases, and you'll have done the equivalent of using the credit for iTunes.

bigmc6000
Sep 14, 2007, 03:14 PM
Drater, Can't. See below. And check your PMs.

Yes, you can. As clearly stated you can't but the CERTIFICATES. There is absolutely nothing in there about the Gift Cards and since Certificates and Cards at the Apple Store are seperate items you just buy the cards. That's what I did. Bought 4 $25 cards, free shipping and no tax (since they are gift CARDS). And since I actually did this I'm not just making stuff up - I've already got the receipt and tracking #...

Peace
Sep 14, 2007, 03:14 PM
Peace, the component video-out cable? The one that connect to the dock connector? It's already out? Thought it was a couple weeks away. Anyway, if it's component, not composite, then it's video-out and it won't work yet as the iPhone doesn't support video-out. Yet. Next update, I'm sure for feature parity with iPod touch. But if it's the old headphone-jack composite A/V cable, I'd take it back as it will only fit the dock not the iPhone without an adapter, and the new component A/V cable uses the dock connector, comes with a USB AC adapter and has a USB plug on the cable to charge via computer or AC adapter while you are playing video-out. For only like $50, I think. Of course you can keep the dock if you need a spare, but if you don't need an extra, you won't need that either as the new dock connector component A/V cable should work just fine with the iPhone dock. The S-video on the universal dock won't work at all with iPhone and may never.

Well ya never know now do ya.;)
I got the new universal dock that is compatible with the iPhone and the component cable just in case it will work in the future.
Nonetheless.The deed is done and it was fun.

njchris
Sep 14, 2007, 03:36 PM
I accepted the AT&T-assigned phone number when activating the phone.

A month later, (when I had decided for certain that I was happy with AT&T service,) I had my old phone number ported over to my iPhone.

Thus, my iPhone's phone number changed.

Apple's form says I "may not be eligible", so I have just sent off an email providing documentation of the phone number change. The same thing happened to me, although I dont have documentation of the number change. I had the assigned # for a week and I don't remember it any longer.

My original request to port when activating failed so I took the assigned #. AT&T called ME a week later and said they could port it so I said OK and it was done.

Matthew Yohe
Sep 14, 2007, 03:59 PM
Hmm... There must've been a hiccup in macrumor's system. My post mysteriously disappeared, and I certainly didn't receive any notification that I was breaking any rules. So I will restate.

Students!
Use the 100 bucks and purchase ADC student membership (http://developer.apple.com/products/student.html)(costs $99).
Go to the ADC store (http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/WebObjects/ADC?qprm=38839).
Buy a MacBook pro or Mac Pro for 500 bucks off cost!

Also, it looks like "Home Button" options are upon us.

spencecb
Sep 14, 2007, 04:23 PM

Um, yes you can. All you have to do is press the key that changes the keyboard to letters. This button is always located in the bottom left.

skillz1318
Sep 14, 2007, 04:25 PM
got my 100 credit and bought the iphone protection plan....now what to do with $30????

JBaker122586
Sep 14, 2007, 04:31 PM
I did it about 5 minutes ago and still haven't gotten a text...?

sanford
Sep 14, 2007, 04:35 PM
Some mod may have scanned your post and not really read it, saw prices listed and that it was a for sale post or something like that.

I think home button options are coming, I had just hoped for today. Still only 2:30 in Cupertino so maybe baby.

Hmm... There must've been a hiccup in macrumor's system. My post mysteriously disappeared, and I certainly didn't receive any notification that I was breaking any rules. So I will restate.

Students!
Use the 100 bucks and purchase ADC student membership (http://developer.apple.com/products/student.html)(costs $99).
Go to the ADC store (http://store.apple.com/AppleStore/WebObjects/ADC?qprm=38839).
Buy a MacBook pro or Mac Pro for 500 bucks off cost!

Also, it looks like "Home Button" options are upon us.

voicegy
Sep 14, 2007, 04:37 PM
Apple Gift cards, iTunes Store Gift Certificates and gifts to the iTunes Store are different that iTunes Gift cards. iTunes Store Gift Certificates are customizable throught the online store, store.apple.com. iTunes gift cards are physical cards that allow you to buy things throught the iTunes Music store. thus, you can go buy an iTunes Gift card and get a hundred more songs. so before telling Apple that they blow chunks, try to realize what they're offering.

I stand corrected. I've never purchased gift cards or certificates, and assumed there would be an easier way to cash in on getting some tunes via my credit. (Would have been nice if they stated in the language that iTunes Gift Cards specifically are avail. for purchase via the iTunes store.) So...Apple doesn't blow chunks today - but the thanks go to fellow MacRumor member jinr and others who brought that to my attention.)

synth3tik
Sep 14, 2007, 04:40 PM
I have been waiting 15 minutes for the SMS. I entered my number in as
XXX-XXX-XXXX and didn't get any java warnings.:(

EDIT: So it took a while, but finally got my $100. I will add that to the purchase of logic 8. making it only $400. Beats the old $999 price. Also it seems to not matter if you include the dashes or not. I didn't at first, then backed to put in the dashes. I got 2 texts from Apple. Sadly the same code, so no unlimited $100 rebates.

technicolor
Sep 14, 2007, 05:16 PM
Got my credit.:D:apple:

menace3054
Sep 14, 2007, 05:31 PM
its annoying how some early adopters of the iphone think $100 isnt enough to get back. this is totally awesome of Steve to do. I remember back in the day when the Razr came out, it was $499. about 2 weeks later, $199, i dont recall motorola sending people $$$

Redstarr
Sep 14, 2007, 05:35 PM
I already got my $100 credit but besides the release of the iPhone 2, I really just want my $100 back so I can pay my credit card bill rather than me return the money right back to Jobs.

I've read most of the posts in this thread but what's stopping me from giving the credit to someone else for cash? When they try to purchase something with the credit, how would Apple know it's not me?

sanford
Sep 14, 2007, 05:44 PM
My oldest, best friend used to do high level PR for Samsung in the mobiles group. She said that is totally the mobiles market. She does non-profit medical now, but still knows enough about her old industry to have not expected the iPhone in particular to drop so soon, but that it would drop at least $200 by first of Nov. You just have to slash handset prices in the mobile industry. It's the game. You clean up on over-priced early sales, hook up a bunch of new contracts through exclusives, then rip the bottom out of the price to pull even more people in.

its annoying how some early adopters of the iphone think $100 isnt enough to get back. this is totally awesome of Steve to do. I remember back in the day when the Razr came out, it was $499. about 2 weeks later, $199, i dont recall motorola sending people $$$

robby818
Sep 14, 2007, 06:06 PM
Get a $249 refurb Apple TV from Apple if you buy one.

I'm saving my $100 for Leopard.

Anonymous Freak
Sep 14, 2007, 06:16 PM
The same thing happened to me, although I dont have documentation of the number change. I had the assigned # for a week and I don't remember it any longer.

My original request to port when activating failed so I took the assigned #. AT&T called ME a week later and said they could port it so I said OK and it was done.

Just call AT&T (611 from the phone,) and they'll email you 'proof' of the number change.

twoodcc
Sep 14, 2007, 06:16 PM
well just in time for the weekend. thank goodness. and thank you apple :cool:

brewser
Sep 14, 2007, 06:34 PM
Get a $249 refurb Apple TV from Apple if you buy one.

I'm saving my $100 for Leopard.

I'm with you on this. Save it for a nice big Leopard discount. Its only about 30 days away.;)

justflie
Sep 14, 2007, 06:39 PM
Haha

I'm saving it for use with Leopard also :)

sblasl
Sep 14, 2007, 07:18 PM
Actually 42 days, my guess is Friday, October 26, 2007.;)

I'm with you on this. Save it for a nice big Leopard discount. Its only about 30 days away.;)

pamon
Sep 14, 2007, 07:37 PM
just did mine less than 15 mins ago. quick pages to load, less than 3 mins for sms text, typed in coupon code and got printout. Quick procedure and a lot less painful then i thought it "could" be. Guess they can scan the coupons at the register and then it's good.... SWEET!!

njchris
Sep 14, 2007, 08:30 PM
Just call AT&T (611 from the phone,) and they'll email you 'proof' of the number change.

Thanks - did they respond to your email yet?

snchpnz
Sep 14, 2007, 09:23 PM
I already got my store credit and spent it. I got a phone case, a Bluetooth headset and the *****ously ugly headphone adapter. Best part is none of it is made by apple! I didnt need or want any of it but I hope apple lost a couple of bucks that way! :p

KittyToy
Sep 14, 2007, 09:27 PM
No Dis, you and I have iPhone Special Editions, you know the ones that come with Bluetooth. Most people just got the ones with, um, well... Bluetooth.

Prepboy, go into Settings/General and turn Bluetooth on and you too shall behold the fabled Bluetooth icon. :)

what the hell you talking about, i been using my bluetooth since i got my iphone..... unless you that stupid and don't know how to use it:D

ucfgrad93
Sep 14, 2007, 10:32 PM
Just got mine. Took like 2 minutes. Easiest rebate I've ever gotten.

megfilmworks
Sep 14, 2007, 10:34 PM
Just got my girlfriend an iPhone tonight and thanks to Apple and Steve I just saved $300!! By the way if you want to save $400 there are some 4 gigs left, I opted for the 8 gig still, as I seem to fill mine up when I travel with all sorts of fun stuff. I figure she will too. Thanks Steve!

megfilmworks
Sep 14, 2007, 10:45 PM

I actually paid $599 for my Razr the first few days it came out. And about 2-3 weeks later it was $199 and now its free, and its still a piece of junk!

chrltn
Sep 14, 2007, 11:27 PM
am i to understand that the iphone $100 store credit can only be used for apple stuff like hardware, and i can't plug the credit into the iTunes store?

thanks for the help... and sorry in advance if my post is redundant and has already been answered

Kinetic
Sep 14, 2007, 11:41 PM
Actually, I've got to say I'm impressed with how quickly they put this up. Mine went through in about 3 minutes tops. And, just like Apple expected, I'll be heading to the store tomorrow to use it. I don't have the patience to save it until Leopard! :)

Nagooya
Sep 14, 2007, 11:54 PM
am i to understand that the iphone $100 store credit can only be used for apple stuff like hardware, and i can't plug the credit into the iTunes store?

thanks for the help... and sorry in advance if my post is redundant and has already been answered

You can use your credit to buy an iTunes gift card at the Apple Store.

ageis
Sep 15, 2007, 12:11 AM
I guess I must be one of the few having problems.
Entered my SN and my phone # (all the different possible ways) and no luck.

Emailed the email they recommended and got a response back saying "we have no record of your purchase.. please validate all your stuff and email back with the new information". Emailed them back and got an email saying to wait 5 business days.

When I call apple, I get some idiotic operator that tells me to go to the "contact" page? Didn't even bother to say which email or link or anything...

Felldownthewell
Sep 15, 2007, 12:22 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but I bought my iPhone post-price-drop and popped in my number and serial just for fun and still got the credit. I'm guessing its because I bought my iPhone like 30 minutes after the event and either something got messed up in their system or since I got an older SN it may have confused them a bit? I don't know, I'm not complaining.

GNice
Sep 15, 2007, 12:23 AM
C'mon Leapord! :)

Anonymous Freak
Sep 15, 2007, 12:40 AM
Thanks - did they respond to your email yet?

Just an automated email saying it may take 48 to 72 hours.

rmh
Sep 15, 2007, 12:46 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but I bought my iPhone post-price-drop and popped in my number and serial just for fun and still got the credit. I'm guessing its because I bought my iPhone like 30 minutes after the event and either something got messed up in their system or since I got an older SN it may have confused them a bit? I don't know, I'm not complaining.

Psh, now that you've admitted to it the Apple police will come and take the money back from you :rolleyes:

thejakill
Sep 15, 2007, 12:55 AM
enjoying my $99 black nano right now.

the apple store was busy like it was the holiday season.

HornetOSX
Sep 15, 2007, 01:38 AM
you can just reenter all the stuff and get the code again . and print from your mac ( or if your one of those windows freaks.... I gues you could do it form there too .. I've not tested it tho ... and really .. why are you still in the dark ages using that out dated OS windows Anyways?? thats SO 1992 )

it texts you the same code.. and the ID and PIN are the same

so if you .. liek me .. did this on your iPhone then went .. "aw crap .. how will I print it ??"
just redo it :-D

Twinsbb17
Sep 15, 2007, 01:45 AM

BKKbill
Sep 15, 2007, 02:50 AM
Hey, new mac convert - iPhone was my first Apple purchase (I even avoided iPods for years!). Picked up an iPhone on the third day it was released. I didn't know anything about any open letter but when I saw the new prices in the window at my local Apple store I went in and asked about it and they immediately gave me a $200 refund no-questions asked.

Then earlier today I got the text from a friend about the rebate and assumed that it was eligable for everyone?? I just followed the process, put my serial number and got my gift-card on top of my refund...I thought everybody got one? Hey, its not my fault if Apple wanna give me extra money - they've certainly got themselves a lifetime custmer in me after such awesome treatment! $200 back and $100 bonus = love for :apple:!

I don't think it is Apples intent too give you $300.00. At the very least I would call it fraud. Number 3 covers it I would say. Just my opinion mind you.

1. Intentional deception resulting in injury to another person

2. A person who makes deceitful pretenses

3. Something intended to deceive; deliberate trickery intended to gain an advantage

It will be interesting to see what happens when the computer cross checks the serial numbers.

chp5592
Sep 15, 2007, 11:07 AM
Website told me that I had already returned the phone. Sent them proof including store receipt. Still no response. Called Apple today and they told me they couldn't resolve over the phone and needs to send to their "credit team." Very frustrating especially since my wife's phone credit went through without problem.

plaine300
Sep 15, 2007, 11:29 AM
We still got hosed. What, we have the pleasure of giving Apple more money? Sure, I'll spend my credit and most Apple customers will anyway, but we lost out on $200 shortly after introduction, then they give us $100 credit, so we basically get to pay THEM for early adoption. That's a wolf in sheep's clothing. Still shame on you Apple.

ChronoIMG
Sep 15, 2007, 01:01 PM
Website told me that I had already returned the phone. Sent them proof including store receipt. Still no response. Called Apple today and they told me they couldn't resolve over the phone and needs to send to their "credit team." Very frustrating especially since my wife's phone credit went through without problem.
I've having the EXACT same issue. How in the heck did they get the idea that I've returned my iPhone? I'm guessing this is a screw up at the AT&T store where I bought the phone from. My brothers went fine but he got his at an Apple store.

ChronoIMG
Sep 15, 2007, 01:06 PM
I guess I must be one of the few having problems.
Entered my SN and my phone # (all the different possible ways) and no luck.

Emailed the email they recommended and got a response back saying "we have no record of your purchase.. please validate all your stuff and email back with the new information". Emailed them back and got an email saying to wait 5 business days.

When I call apple, I get some idiotic operator that tells me to go to the "contact" page? Didn't even bother to say which email or link or anything...
Yup. Mine is a little different in that they think I first returned the phone and then Apple email support said I have a replacement. Ha! I've never returned my phone to the store, I don't have a replacement. The serial number on my original receipt and the one on my iPhone match exactly.

I replied back to the iPhone email address and got the 5 business day response BS as well.

AT&T/Apple obviously screwed up somewhere. I've also read on the Apple support forums that people have been getting credits that have already been used! Way to go Apple!

mihiruthere93
Sep 15, 2007, 02:08 PM
wow, steve actually did something for the people once :rolleyes:

there's got to be some fine print in this or something... anywayz my 80gb classic owns!!! got the last one at the apple store! :D:D:D

shoulin333
Sep 15, 2007, 03:19 PM
Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240) UP.Link/6.3.1.17.06.3.1.17.0)

When I found out I was still covered for the full $200 until 19th Sept., that's what I did. Called AT&T, gave them some info off ATT Store receipt, and they just slapped $200 credit on my bill at my request. I think I pay an actual partial bill in late November.

so then im guessing you bought your's from an at&t store not apple right?

matticus008
Sep 15, 2007, 03:20 PM

No. The program is for iPhone customers currently active with AT&T service. You could reactivate the iPhone with one month of service and get the credit, but ultimately you'd only get 40-odd dollars given the cost of a month's service.

gadabout
Sep 15, 2007, 06:56 PM
anyone else buy with apple employee purchase plan? i bought mine that way, and am unable to get the rebate. i havent been to work in a while, so maybe once i go back i can get that worked out; just wondering if anyone was able to get a rebate... or know anyone who did?

whistler72
Sep 15, 2007, 10:44 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

I got mine. It was very easy!

Stella
Sep 15, 2007, 11:47 PM
We still got hosed. What, we have the pleasure of giving Apple more money? Sure, I'll spend my credit and most Apple customers will anyway, but we lost out on $200 shortly after introduction, then they give us $100 credit, so we basically get to pay THEM for early adoption. That's a wolf in sheep's clothing. Still shame on you Apple.

Thats the cell phone market. The iPhone is like any other smartphone... they'll go down in price very quickly.

I know people like to believe the iPhone is different to any other smartphone on the planet, but in reality it isn't. Every smartphone will have a life time of several years, just like the iPhone.

Think yourself lucky.. most smartphones devalue in price much quicker than iPhone.

What ever your grievance, just be thankful that Apple offered the $100 rebate... they really didn't have to.

john123
Sep 16, 2007, 02:15 AM

It's over two months after introduction. What exactly are you complaining about? MOST electronics products become dated quickly. That you got any sort of compensation at all is a magnanimous gesture on Apple's part.

God, some people will whine about ANYTHING.

ryboflavo
Sep 16, 2007, 04:19 AM
I have decided to this opportunity to help a Windows user finally get a Mac. Normally, none of us have a $100 to give away at random, but Apple gave me $100 for a product that I purchased two months ago. I choose to buy my iPhone the day it came out because I wanted to be apart of it's movement and a promoter of change in the industry. In order for that to happen, people have to support it. If I knew the iPhone would drop $200 two months later, I still would have bought it. Next.

Although I appreciate Apple's generosity, I would rather take this opportunity of having $100 I normally wouldn't and converting a Windows user - desperate to get off their PC. I get that most of you think of me foolish to give away my $100 Apple Store Credit - keep it real.

The world needs it and we know it.

http://www.ryboflavo.com

bytethese
Sep 16, 2007, 08:45 AM
I was cool with paying what I paid already. I was about to buy a new phone last Oct/Nov and almost bought a Blackjack. I heard the rumors that apple might announce an iPhone in Jan. Low and behold, they did. So when I had to wait 6more mo for a new phone, I didn't care what I had to pay. :)

They $100 back is cool, makes me feel that Apple not only is in business to make money, but want to keep their loyal customers happy.

I'm now a .Mac member thanks to the credit. w00t. :)

spotlight07
Sep 16, 2007, 09:55 AM
I have decided to this opportunity to help a Windows user finally get a Mac. Normally, none of us have a $100 to give away at random, but Apple gave me $100 for a product that I purchased two months ago. I choose to buy my iPhone the day it came out because I wanted to be apart of it's movement and a promoter of change in the industry. In order for that to happen, people have to support it. If I knew the iPhone would drop $200 two months later, I still would have bought it. Next.

Although I appreciate Apple's generosity, I would rather take this opportunity of having $100 I normally wouldn't and converting a Windows user - desperate to get off their PC. I get that most of you think of me foolish to give away my $100 Apple Store Credit - keep it real.

The world needs it and we know it.

http://www.ryboflavo.com
Not to spoil a excellent cause but I think I read in the fine print somewhere that the credits can't be sold or otherwise transferred. Correct me if I'm wrong. Great idea to win over a pc user anyway though.

yvovandoorn
Sep 16, 2007, 01:11 PM
Not to spoil a excellent cause but I think I read in the fine print somewhere that the credits can't be sold or otherwise transferred. Correct me if I'm wrong. Great idea to win over a pc user anyway though.

Trust me, the Apple store doesn't care. I went to the U District Apple store yesterday with my girlfriend as she wanted to pickup a 16gb iPod Touch. I wrote down the card number & pin in the store on a sheet of paper and handed it to the sales person. Literally I transferred my $100 credit to her purchase infront of them.

Diode
Sep 16, 2007, 07:40 PM

It was about a year before the razr dropped in price. I know because I got one on launch day.

matticus008
Sep 16, 2007, 08:09 PM
It was about a year before the razr dropped in price. I know because I got one on launch day.
It was just a few months before the price dropped significantly, made all the more complicated by the tremendous number of model variants for the carriers. The unsubsidized (i.e. iPhone-style) price at launch was $799. Its subsidized price was $599 before rebate from Cingular on launch day. I know because I gave them as gifts shortly before the first massive price drop (without the temper tantrum thrown by the iPhone people). See here (http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:kIhIrR8ZOB0J:gizmodo.com/gadgets/history-lessons/the-razr-taught-us-that-the-iphone-is-priced-juuust-right-270353.php+razr+2004+pricing&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us), here (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/07/technology/07apple.html?ex=1190088000&en=f59b70f6d5f3a3e0&ei=5070), and here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razr) for starters.

To wit, just one month after launch, in fact, the unsubsidized price had fallen to $599 while the $100 rebate was eschewed for a straight-up $500 price.

rglatter
Sep 16, 2007, 08:18 PM
I was very happy to see the apple store credit, good to keep the customers happy. I don't think any other company would do that.

It is also good that it was extreamly easy to get the credit except for the few people that wasnt working quite right. Hopefully it will get worked out soon.

mpuck972
Sep 16, 2007, 09:04 PM
Well I continue to get the run around from Apple. I bought mine 4 days before the Aug 22 cut off. I enter in my info, and get the you may not be eligible message. 5 emails over 3 days later, they send me an email saying sorry for the inconvenience, and they have reset my number in the system. So I go back to the site enter in my info, and guess what, I may not be eligible! Who exactly does Apple have working for them?

So couple this with the issue I had with my brand new iPod classic, and the store refusing to exchange it the day after I bought it, you can say I'm very disappointed.

I had always heard such good things about Apple products and their customer service. Well I haven't found any of it to be true. These are my first and last Apple purchases ever. If and when I do get the credit, I'm going to go stand out in front of the Apple store, and sell it for $100 cash, and go buy something I know I wont have problems with.

njchris
Sep 17, 2007, 12:26 AM
I got the email back from Apple saying they entered my serial # also. I tried it a few times and still get the msg that "you may not be eligible"

I wrote them back....

Who knows, maybe the system takes 24 hrs to update...

JPyre
Sep 17, 2007, 08:34 AM
This IS BS! I ported my number from verizon the day after launch, Apple still shows my original number in their system. Thus, I cannot send my rebate txt to my old number, and I am apparently not eligible. I receive an email Saturday saying....

"Dear Joshua ,

Thank you for your patience.

We experienced an error when you initially attempted to retrieve your Apple Store credit. The issue has been corrected. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and would like to ask that you visit our site again, www.apple.com/iphone/storecredit <http://www.apple.com/iphone/storecredit> to obtain a new electronic credit code."

When I went back it says I'm still not eligible. I callled Apple Care and they said my contact info still hasn't been changed. So now I'm waiting for a response, again.

MarceePauff
Sep 17, 2007, 10:25 AM
Believe it or not, you may actually get satisfaction from AT&T on this one. I was having the port-problem. I had ported my number after activation. So even though I knew my old number, apple was trying to SMS my old number...duh. I wasn't getting the SMS's - AT&T recognized the problem and just gave me a $100 credit to my account.

$100 is a $100, no matter where it's credited, IMO.

This is the very first time in all the years I've been hating AT&T, that customer service actually came through.

Good luck.

sanford
Sep 17, 2007, 10:38 AM
Believe it or not, you may actually get satisfaction from AT&T on this one. I was having the port-problem. I had ported my number after activation. So even though I knew my old number, apple was trying to SMS my old number...duh. I wasn't getting the SMS's - AT&T recognized the problem and just gave me a $100 credit to my account.

$100 is a $100, no matter where it's credited, IMO.

This is the very first time in all the years I've been hating AT&T, that customer service actually came through.

Good luck.

Technically it's better than the Apple Store credit as it's not flat-out cash rebate but it's credit to an account your obligated to pay in cash -- hopefully, it's not a great idea to pay your mobile phone bill with your Visa and just let it rack up and up every month instead of paying it right off -- so it's tantamount to cash. Cash you don't have to pay AT&T, that you can now spend however you wish, at the Apple Store, on sports tickets, for an evening out, whatever.

Based on my experience with AT&T and the iPhone, they'll do it for the original poster of this issue, no problem.

sixth
Sep 17, 2007, 12:54 PM
I had a problem with getting mine to go through because they didn't have the correct number in the system, here it turned out to be because I ported my number from Verizon. I just kept emailing back and forth from the apple iphone credit email and the service was actually VERY good. I finally had my issue escalated and it was solved today. I just tried the rebate again and it worked, so props to apple on getting this resolved, i recommend anyone with problems just email them.

mpuck972
Sep 17, 2007, 02:12 PM
Anyone else think Apple made a huge mistake jumping into the cell phone market? Should have stuck with what they knew, and kept their reputation.

CormacMaclaggan
Sep 17, 2007, 05:10 PM
Anyone else think Apple made a huge mistake jumping into the cell phone market? Should have stuck with what they knew, and kept their reputation.

Not me personally i love my phone and apple couldn't have made me happier by giving me $100 bucks that i put towards updating my itunes music library...

sanford
Sep 17, 2007, 05:19 PM

I did until I bought an iPhone and finally ended up with the first mobile phone and mobile PDA-like device that I didn't want to destroy. You could say the same, and people did, about the iPod. The iPhone has greatly increased Apple's reputation among all but the most core, old-school Apple users -- of which I am one but more tolerant -- and stick it out through the lean years as they did, they are never going to number enough to let Apple continue to grow.

There were a lot of us who didn't care about the price drop, either, even before we knew there would be any kind of compensation.

Right now I care about that stupid firmware update, though.

asrai
Sep 18, 2007, 06:26 AM

Their reputation couldn't be better by me, IMHO. Best phone/PDA/etc., device I've used. I'm really REALLY impressed with at&t's coverage -- that was a major concern of mine, but I now get service in places I never had with my previous carrier. And though I didn't really care about the price drop, albeit, maybe it was done a tad soon, but no surprise that it happened; I'm VERY happy with the rebate.

Overall, I'm glad they made the iPhone and expanded what they're doing -- on top of STILL making the best computers.

njchris
Sep 18, 2007, 10:10 AM
So, after two emails of Apple telling me how to fix the "you may not be eligible" issue, it's still happening.

FIRST, they tell me they entered my Serial # into their system and all should be fine. No go.

Next they tell me to register my iPhone on the apple site... I get the confirmation email this morning that it's registered and in their system.

Still no go.

Just how hard can this be for them to correct?

alljunks
Sep 18, 2007, 10:32 AM
got it and spend it already!!

chakote
Sep 18, 2007, 02:43 PM

So buy something, return it. Then get the iTunes giftcard.

Zanevalon
Sep 18, 2007, 07:54 PM
why is apple telling me that the store credit they just gave me has no funds on it? who do i need to talk to to get this straightened out?

whistler72
Sep 18, 2007, 08:13 PM
I'm gonna use my soon. Think I'm gonna get a MacBook!

Anonymous Freak
Sep 18, 2007, 09:17 PM
Well I continue to get the run around from Apple. I bought mine 4 days before the Aug 22 cut off. I enter in my info, and get the you may not be eligible message. 5 emails over 3 days later, they send me an email saying sorry for the inconvenience, and they have reset my number in the system. So I go back to the site enter in my info, and guess what, I may not be eligible! Who exactly does Apple have working for them?

I'm in the exact same boat. Same "5 emails over 3 days", same "reset my number, try again", same not working.

My situation is that I changed my phone number a month after activation (used a 'temporary' number from AT&T, then when I decided I could live with AT&T's network, ported my old T-Mobile number over; I was hoping the unlock would be discovered while I could still cancel my AT&T contract with no penalty.)

Today, on a whim, I decided to try the old, no-longer-active AT&T-assigned number with my serial number, and it says it sent the SMS. Damn. That's what I was afraid of.

I even sent Apple a long email specifically detailing that I think it is failing because of the number change, providing documentation of the number change, and apparently they never actually fixed THAT issue.

njchris
Sep 18, 2007, 10:12 PM
I even sent Apple a long email specifically detailing that I think it is failing because of the number change, providing documentation of the number change, and apparently they never actually fixed THAT issue.

Same here, I'm on my THIRD email.

I detailed the # change, which I had already told them about in the first email... (leaving out the old # in case they get confused)

How hard could it be to fix?!?

je1ani
Sep 19, 2007, 01:30 PM
I bought a referb 8GB for $537 and they refunded me $150 =)

aapl.jlo
Sep 19, 2007, 07:39 PM
I don't like being a jerk or anything, but, if you buy something when it first comes out, you're basically paying a fee for the newest thing. You're lucky that Steve Jobs was nice enough to give you back the $100. Still, I'd say that it definitely was too soon for a price drop. I wonder what caused it.

KittyToy
Sep 19, 2007, 08:36 PM
I bought a referb 8GB for $537 and they refunded me $150 =)

you got ripped off:D

Fluffymuff
Sep 19, 2007, 08:50 PM
why is apple telling me that the store credit they just gave me has no funds on it? who do i need to talk to to get this straightened out?
Darling.

There is a known bug in the rebate system that incorrectly erased funds from refunds issued during a several day period.

If you have any problems, call Apple and if you have any problems with the rep, ask to speak with a supervisor.

This is a known problem and either they will walk you through the steps to regenerate your credit, or you may be able to do the same thing yourself by waltzing through process again - steps 1, 2, 3.

If you're level headed and not a whiney loon, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to fix. If you're not level headed and are a whiney loon, it may take 15 minutes to a half hour or more to fix. Either way, level headed or whiney loon, resolution of your problem is only a phone call away.