PDA

View Full Version : More PowerBook Talk

MacRumors
Aug 18, 2003, 11:33 PM
PowerPage claims (http://www.powerpage.org/cgi-bin/WebObjects/powerpage.woa/wa/story?newsID=11323) to have heard that the PowerBooks are due this week, with specs including a 1.25GHz G4, right-sided ports, FW800 and nVidia video cards.

They also hint at a fourth product introduction this week, beyond (presumably) the three new PowerBooks.

Powerbook G5
Aug 18, 2003, 11:44 PM
So many PowerBook rumors, I think my head will explode!

*pop*

theipodgod16
Aug 18, 2003, 11:46 PM
This accounts for our weekly powerbook rumor from some unheard-of source.....:o

Omek
Aug 18, 2003, 11:47 PM
Oh please.... come on... I hope they aren't going to put nVidia cards in the ENTIRE line!?!? ATI has them beat, at the moment, so why not put ATI's cards in there.... grrrr...

Come on Apple, don't disappoint me... I've been waiting too dang long.....

I say, they should give us the option of ATI or nVidia.... that would be fair....

Parikh1234
Aug 18, 2003, 11:49 PM
does anyone know how hard it is to swap out a video card in the powerbooks? Perhaps you could mod it and void your warranty.

benoda
Aug 18, 2003, 11:52 PM
$50 says that we'll be disappointed with nVidia video cards come tomorrow. I don't mind the minimal speed bumps, but the nVidia crap is going to be a big let down.....

Powerbook G5
Aug 19, 2003, 12:02 AM
I don't know, I've been waiting since April to get a new 15"AlBook but with all these little disappointments I hear, I am not so sure anymore...my G3 can last me another semester of college...by then maybe we'd get a nice ATi Radeon...maybe a G5...maybe faster than 1x Superdrive...and most definitely Panther. I know Apple was going to release these months ago, but you'd think they'd be able to do something so when it is released it won't be stuck with hardware from a few months ago.

Duff-Man
Aug 19, 2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Parikh1234
does anyone know how hard it is to swap out a video card in the powerbooks? Perhaps you could mod it and void your warranty. Duff-Man says...laptops generally tend to have the graphics chip directly on the motherboard - swapping them is not really an option.....oh yeah!

actionslacks
Aug 19, 2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Omek
Oh please.... come on... I hope they aren't going to put nVidia cards in the ENTIRE line!?!? ATI has them beat, at the moment, so why not put ATI's cards in there.... grrrr...

Come on Apple, don't disappoint me... I've been waiting too dang long.....

I say, they should give us the option of ATI or nVidia.... that would be fair....

I don't know. Nvidia is putting out some great products. There demos at Siggraph were incredible. That being said, I don't know which model will be making it in to a laptop.

Rx7 Fan
Aug 19, 2003, 12:15 AM
Hopefully Apple will use ATi Mobile 9600 which support direct x 9.0 If not how are we suppose to play games like Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 (even though I don't think those games are coming out for macs).

P.S. Finally broke down and bought a 12" with $200 bucks rebate with an iPod. If Apple update tomorrow, I wonder if the store will let me return it

Alexander
Aug 19, 2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Rx7 Fan
Hopefully Apple will use ATi Mobile 9600 which support direct x 9.0 If not how are we suppose to play games like Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 (even though I don't think those games are coming out for macs).

Maybe because they use OpenGL, not crappy DirectX?

Doom 3 is definitely Mac-bound; I have no clue about HL2.

ColoJohnBoy
Aug 19, 2003, 12:32 AM
I won't mind Apple putting nVidia chips in the PowerBooks, provided they are the 440 Go and 420 Go as they are now.
The GeForce FX Go 5600 and 5200 are both cards that I think would be great to see in the PowerBooks. From reviews I've read, they sound far better and far more reliable than their previous mobile chips.
We'd probably see the 5200 in the 12" and the 5600 in the other two models. I wonder, though, if they will still have only 32 and 64 MB of RAM, or if they'll be able to put in 64 and 128 MB chips.

Well, hopefully when I wake up, there will be more information.

Powerbook G5
Aug 19, 2003, 12:39 AM
Well I've seen two mobile chips from nVidia that support up to 128 megs RAM, so it can't be that impossible to add. Then again, the G5s ship with 64 meg cards standard, so it'd be odd if the PowerBooks would be given better video cards. Who knows, I guess I am in for one long and restless night.

ColoJohnBoy
Aug 19, 2003, 12:43 AM
Just a thought as to possible specs for the high end 15" and 17" models. Probably just a fool's hope, but nonetheless....

1.33 GHZ PowerPC G4 Processor
1 GB PC2700 DDR SDRAM
80 GB Ultra ATA 7200 RPM Hard Drive
128 MB nVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5600 graphics chip
Ambient Light Sensor
SuperDrive (2X DVD-R)
USB 2.0 Ports (2)
FireWire 800 Port
FireWire 400 Port
Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000)
v.92 56Kbps internal modem
DVI connection port
PCI Card slot
AirPort Extreme
S-Video Port
Line In port
Audio Out port

Maybe Apple will even start carrying 1 GB chips for their portables, so maybe it could support up to 2 GB RAM.

And damn it, I think I'll be an insomniac right their with you, Mr. PowerBook G5

Powerbook G5
Aug 19, 2003, 12:58 AM
It all seems reasonable, except, I doubt a 7200 rpm HD will be standard in any laptops for quite some time. It would be nice to get a gig of RAM and 128 meg GPUs, too, but that would eclipse the stock specs of the PowerMacs by twice as much memory in both instances. I'd like to see specs similar to that, though, and it seems like it could be for the most part possible. We'll just have to wait and find out.

pyrotoaster
Aug 19, 2003, 12:59 AM
Not just do we get an unsubstantiated Powerbook rumor, but we also get a mystery "fourth announcement"! Wow! :rolleyes:

I can't help but wonder if the folks at PowerPage have considered that this "fourth announcement" (assuming they've actually got some kinda "source") is the shipping G5s? Apple's certainly made a nice big deal about that.

While I believe Think Secret's report more than PowerPage's, I hope PowerPage is right. The sooner all three Powerbooks are announced, the sooner these unsubstantiated Powerbook rumors can stop.

Then the unsubstantiated iBook rumors can begin. ;)

Freg3000
Aug 19, 2003, 01:05 AM
I don't care anymore what the specs are. Just do something. Wake the PowerBook up from its coma.

Powerbook G5
Aug 19, 2003, 01:14 AM
It will never end...if they are updated for today/tomorrow (depending on your time zone), then by Wednesday we will be going crazy over iBooks...then after they are updated we will go crazy over new iMacs...then...(does anyone get excited over the eMacs?) I guess the next revisions of the PowerMacs again...followed by G5 PowerBooks and G4 iBooks...never ends...never ever. It does make life more interesting, though, seeing so many people go crazy over updates (although I do admit that I am being driven insane myself).

ZildjianKX
Aug 19, 2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
It all seems reasonable, except, I doubt a 7200 rpm HD will be standard in any laptops for quite some time. It would be nice to get a gig of RAM and 128 meg GPUs, too, but that would eclipse the stock specs of the PowerMacs by twice as much memory in both instances. I'd like to see specs similar to that, though, and it seems like it could be for the most part possible. We'll just have to wait and find out.

How about some 5400 RPM drives at least? I would like Apple to at least catch up to the standards of today.

A 1.25 GHz processor and an NVIDIA card would be an incredible dissapointment to me. If they don't bump up the screen size, it will have been a sad 9-10 month wait.

ELYXR
Aug 19, 2003, 02:04 AM
No matter what Apple puts out it can't possibly be as ugly or flimsy and cheap feeling as the new Dell line. Has anyone tried the Inspiron 8500? It's like the Millenium Falcon... Fast, but "What a piece of junk!"

I know this has been said, but I'd like to see intelligent dual-processors. Shut one off on battery power, turn it back on when on AC. That would be REALLY COOL!!

actionslacks
Aug 19, 2003, 02:07 AM
Nothing will happen today. Probably not this week. All press will be about the G5 for awhile. unfortunately, Apple has to milk it for all it is worth.

Plus they don't ahve anything that great for the Powerbooks anyway.

Although I am buying the next 15inch they release...

tex210
Aug 19, 2003, 02:09 AM
Didn't ATi just get the xbox account? Don't all things xbox say contractually exclusive? Nvidia may be the only ones playing fair...
also... I remember nvidia and IBM talkin 'bout something....fishkill maybe?
edit:
here's something...
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=11002

nagromme
Aug 19, 2003, 02:13 AM
With the G5 shipping thing on Apple's home page, Thu/Fri seems more likely then Tue to me.

I'm inclined to believe ThinkSecret that the new 12" will come later. They have a better track record than PowerPage.

Whatever comes out, I sure hope it has the 7457 G4.

(But I'll still be waiting for a G5 PowerBook with an absolute TOP end video board... which probably means 256 MB by that time.)

Snowy_River
Aug 19, 2003, 02:57 AM
does anyone know how hard it is to swap out a video card in the powerbooks? Perhaps you could mod it and void your warranty.

To date, all laptops (that I've been familiar with, at least) have the graphics directly on the motherboard. There is a new mobil graphics technology from ATi that is supposed to take the graphics off the motherboard, thus allowing the possibility for future graphics upgrades. But, to the best of my knowledge, this is still in the catagory of rumor/vaporware.

bignumbers
Aug 19, 2003, 04:00 AM
I'll guess the "fourth product" is iTunes and iTMS for Windows. The competition is heating up, so the timing would be good. Just a guess, though.

gunnmjk
Aug 19, 2003, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by tex210
Didn't ATi just get the xbox account? Don't all things xbox say contractually exclusive? Nvidia may be the only ones playing fair...
edit:
here's something...

actually, from what i remember, doesn't xbox run ati currently? And I know that games are not always exclusive to xbox. Microsoft picked ati because they got the best stuff going right now, but the graphics card wars between those two, the tides always change.
if you can understand what i'm saying

beloit08
Aug 19, 2003, 05:37 AM
To date, all laptops (that I've been familiar with, at least) have the graphics directly on the motherboard. There is a new mobil graphics technology from ATi that is supposed to take the graphics off the motherboard, thus allowing the possibility for future graphics upgrades. But, to the best of my knowledge, this is still in the catagory of rumor/vaporware.

If memory serves, the new Alienware M51 is going to have swappable graphics cards. The real debate, of course, is whether or not the M51 is actually a mobile system.

adamfilip
Aug 19, 2003, 07:21 AM
i think the 4th product will be a new 17" Apple LCD. thats widescreen and 40% cheaper then current

smartperson
Aug 19, 2003, 08:08 AM
9:06 AM EST and still no news.

Boo!!!

I give them until 10:30 AM EST if they'll announce today.

They may just release it on the newswire, in which case, the press will have to get it before we do...:confused:

penguin
Aug 19, 2003, 08:11 AM
Hmmm...
15" Al with integrated video cam
17" Al with integrated video cam
bluetooth mouse
bluetooth keyboard

Oh wait they can't release any of that until panther comes out.

tgrundke
Aug 19, 2003, 08:14 AM
Dude - it really doesn't matter if DirectX sucks, it's the tool used by a very large number of games.

Originally posted by Alexander
Maybe because they use OpenGL, not crappy DirectX?

Doom 3 is definitely Mac-bound; I have no clue about HL2.

smartperson
Aug 19, 2003, 08:31 AM
It's getting awfully late to close down the Apple Store, y'know...

Maybe since it's just one different picture and some different text they won't have to do it...or maybe they'll announce it very soon and update the page later today...

Bear
Aug 19, 2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by penguin
Hmmm...
15" Al with integrated video cam
17" Al with integrated video cam
bluetooth mouse
bluetooth keyboard

Oh wait they can't release any of that until panther comes out.
Having intehrated video cameras will make it so a lot of people can't use them at work. A lot of companies have a no camera policy.

brucku
Aug 19, 2003, 08:40 AM
Apple would not release a stand alone camera/mic device that fits perfectly on a powerbook, and then integrate it into all the new PB's in the line. They would kill the sales of the isight, Plus the no camera rule at companies.

Here's hoping today isn't another laptop-less tuesday!

Come on steve!!!! I graduated 4 months ago... still waiting on my graduation present. :(

blogo
Aug 19, 2003, 08:44 AM
Maybe they should get some quadro fx cards in them

fixyourthinking
Aug 19, 2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Duff-Man
Duff-Man says...laptops generally tend to have the graphics chip directly on the motherboard - swapping them is not really an option.....oh yeah!

Dell and Toshiba put their video cards on a mini PCI card much like the Airport Extreme card is. What I'm wondering is if there will be a hack from some company that will allow a mini pci card to work in that slot.

Some of the prototypes for the 17" had removeable video cards in a mini PCI card slot.

I wonder if anyone from Powerlogix or Sonnet could chime in and say if it's possible for the Airport Extreme slot to accomodate a video card...

ColoJohnBoy
Aug 19, 2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by bignumbers
I'll guess the "fourth product" is iTunes and iTMS for Windows. The competition is heating up, so the timing would be good. Just a guess, though.

As nice as that would be, it's not going to happen....... yet. Probably late November, with a special announcement and demonstration and such, but not yet.

We'd have heard something more substantial than "a mysterious fourth product".

fixyourthinking
Aug 19, 2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by pyrotoaster
Not just do we get an unsubstantiated Powerbook rumor, but we also get a mystery "fourth announcement"! Wow! :rolleyes:

I can't help but wonder if the folks at PowerPage have considered that this "fourth announcement" (assuming they've actually got some kinda "source") is the shipping G5s? Apple's certainly made a nice big deal about that.

While I believe Think Secret's report more than PowerPage's, I hope PowerPage is right. The sooner all three Powerbooks are announced, the sooner these unsubstantiated Powerbook rumors can stop.

I sometimes think Jason makes the stuff up and acts like he has sources or uses those same sources that Marketsource/Apple Demo Days reps do (pssst ... this site) - it seems like a lot of the news on the rumor front is an attempt to attract numbers there .... and by the way, didn't that site used to look cool? What the heck happened?

He recently had the audacity to email me and say I had stolen some graphics from his site, I changed the ones in question just to appease him, haven't heard from him since.

bertiespeirs
Aug 19, 2003, 09:39 AM
Couldn't this fourth announcement be an updated iMac? They're at the end of their cycle and the sales are lagging.

Powerbook G5
Aug 19, 2003, 09:50 AM
Just a few things...

ATi already have removeable graphics cards for laptops, it's even on their website, so it's not a rumor/vaporware.

The graphics in the Xbox are supplied by nVidia, you can go to xbox.com or nvidia.com to see for yourself.

I agree about the camera thing, there are too many places that don't allow for them, they even make you tape up your cell phones if they have a camera on them.

Now that it is almost 11 eastern time, it seems unlikely that PowerBooks will come out today.

I already suggested the mobile quatro cards before :p

It does seem unlikely that Apple would go for nVidia now then switch to ATi for the next revision since it would require a redesign of the logic board, which would be a lot of work for a revision before they redesign for a G5 that may be out soon after that revision.

And finally...I really want a 15" AlBook...

Parikh1234
Aug 19, 2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by gunnmjk
actually, from what i remember, doesn't xbox run ati currently? And I know that games are not always exclusive to xbox. Microsoft picked ati because they got the best stuff going right now, but the graphics card wars between those two, the tides always change.
if you can understand what i'm saying

I dont know about the xbox but i know the nintendo gamecube im staring at has a ATI logo on it.

Moz
Aug 19, 2003, 10:12 AM
I'm going completely out of my mind waiting for these PB updates. I've been saving my dollars for a year now, and am ready to purchase a new machine.

I do a lot of graphics, so I really need the speed bump of the new machines...but with Apple continually dragging their feet with these updates, I wonder if I'm better off purchasing a 14" iBook, and then using that until the PB G5's come out.

Any suggestions?

I'm currently using a 450 G4, AGP, single processor machine. Would the new iBooks be faster than my current G4? I'm not a super tech-dude, so sorry if that's an idiotic question.

I just hate to keep waiting, and I could save a grand if I bought an iBook now, and just used that until the G5 PB came out. Currently, I'm using OS 10.6, and have 1.5 gb of RAM in the G4 450 tower, but I'm getting progress bars in Illustrator for Christ's sake. I need a faster machine, but am sick of waiting for the PB updates.

Any suggestions??

sickracer2015
Aug 19, 2003, 10:35 AM
well no new powerbooks today as expected.. I think rumor sites should be quite on these rumors its only hurting them

fixyourthinking
Aug 19, 2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by sickracer2015
well no new powerbooks today as expected.. I think rumor sites should be quite on these rumors its only hurting them

Did you know that sometimes Apple doesn't release things JUST because rumor sites say something to make people disbelievers like yourself?

PowerBook updates are more than imminent, maybe they are organizing an ad campaign and mini me and yao ming are fighting over who gets the 17" on the plane this time!

jettredmont
Aug 19, 2003, 11:08 AM

Not sure specifically about the PowerBooks (much less the unannounced, unreleased new models), but generally it is impossible to replace a video card in a notebook computer without a soldering iron and perhaps a BIOS rewrite. In which case, yes, doing so would not just void your warranty but rip it into shreds, ignite it to a ball of fire, then spread its ashes to the wind.

But feel free, and report back if you are successful!

LegionCSUF
Aug 19, 2003, 11:12 AM
Got all excited about nothing. :(

benoda
Aug 19, 2003, 11:22 AM
ho hum..........another day, another powerbook disappointment

brucku
Aug 19, 2003, 11:26 AM
I give up..... I'm going out to buy a TiBook!!!

(Slowly backing away, making the sound of footsteps out the door, crouched behind the couch waiting for the AL15 to come out from hiding......) :P

Chmeeee
Aug 19, 2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by bertiespeirs
Couldn't this fourth announcement be an updated iMac? They're at the end of their cycle and the sales are lagging.

I think this makes sense, because you wouldnt think that apple would want the powerbooks to be faster than the high-end iMac. I mean, come on, a laptop faster than the desktop? The iMac is definitely due for a revision anyways, its been over 6 months, and I would assume they are waiting for the same processors as the powerbook.

hvfsl
Aug 19, 2003, 11:38 AM
To put a few things right, the Xbox uses a Nvidia Geforce 3, the Gamecube uses a slow ATI Radeon 8500 based card. The Xbox2 is comfirmed to be using a Radeon 10000 series graphics card.

On the PB side, Nvidia graphics chips are slower than ATI's. Go to www.tomshardware.com for details. So I hope they don't use them. The Geforce 5200FX on the PM G5 is actually slower than the old Geforce 3 in all things expect benchmarking tool 3D Mark03 on the PC.

JediMacster
Aug 19, 2003, 11:51 AM
Is it just me or is www.powerpage.org not loading? Could it be that they had some sensitive information that the Apple Legal Beast swallowed whole? Quite interesting! :eek:

agentmouthwash
Aug 19, 2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by sickracer2015

Why should rumor sites be quite? Rumors like this is what gets them hits!

dietsoda
Aug 19, 2003, 12:02 PM
oh for god's sake. Yet again, I should stop coming to rumor sites, I can't cope any more.

Hey it won't be long before we can start arranging a 1 year anniversary party! I almost WANT apple to not release the 15" til November, just so we can all moan: "It's been a freakin year!"

My summer has flown by, and I've been fool enough to wish most of it away, hoping to get to this now mythic release sooner.

Don't fret though, I definatley won't be buying a Dell. :)

DamnDJ
Aug 19, 2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by tgrundke
Dude - it really doesn't matter if DirectX sucks, it's the tool used by a very large number of games.

Yes, you're right about that, but it's for Windows users only. There is no DirectX for the Mac and never will be. So it's not going to matter whether or not a video card for the Mac is DirectX 9, 8, or 3 compatable, it's not going to make any difference for us.

CmdrLaForge
Aug 19, 2003, 12:22 PM
There will be no updates today. Maybe wednesday or thursday. But I think next week is more feasable

Omek
Aug 19, 2003, 12:34 PM
Well... the G5s have nothing but 64 MB graphic cards in them, but you can have the option of adding a ATI 9800 with 128 MB for a little extra. Why can't they do that with the Powerbooks.... I'd be willing to shell out the extra cash if they'd just give us the option ya know....

Lord Bodak
Aug 19, 2003, 12:51 PM

So where do I download the Mac version of DirectX, since it's Windows only?

Matt The Moose
Aug 19, 2003, 01:36 PM
Well... the G5s have nothing but 64 MB graphic cards in them, but you can have the option of adding a ATI 9800 with 128 MB for a little extra. Why can't they do that with the Powerbooks....

A 9800 with 128MB will probably run too hot for a notebook, especially if there's a 1.3GHz G4 inside as well. While everyone's going for their wish-list of what's inside the new PBs which are (of course) going to be out tomorrow - and are still probably going to be out tomorrow in a month's time - they ought to consider practical constraints.

A couple of weeks ago I had to use a wintel laptop, and nearly ended up burning myself on it. I taped a thermometer to the outside of the case: 60'C (140'F). In comparison, my 600MHz iBook occasionally reaches 35 (100'F). I'd rather have a slightly slower machine than burnt knees!

Gus
Aug 19, 2003, 01:53 PM
Anyone here an Apple stockholder? E-mmail Apple and tell them that as a stockholder you would like to know what the plans are. Tell them that you know of hundreds of people that would like to purchase a PowerBook, but will not until new versions are released because the old ones are nearing the end of their product cycle.

Tell them they are poopyheads if they do not give you the information. ;)

Regards,
Gus

illumin8
Aug 19, 2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by tex210
edit:
here's something...
What, you seriously think ATI will stop selling all PC and mobile graphics cards just because they won the Xbox account with Microsoft? This has nothing to do with it.

I personally will be extremely disappointed if Apple doesn't use the ATI Mobility 9600 chipset in the new PowerBooks. Everyone knows Nvidia's mobile chipsets are the worst and I think the only reason why they've been used in some of the newer Powerbooks is because Steve had some personal beef with ATI about them releasing information before product launch.

The ATI Mobility 9600 rocks and performs exactly the same as the desktop Radeon 9600 card, so graphics performance would be comparable to a stock G5. Apple, please step up to the plate and give us what we've waited way too long for already.

illumin8
Aug 19, 2003, 02:05 PM
... for the PC. Macs don't use DirectX; it is a Microsoft proprietary extension, where OpenGL is more well... open and cross-platform, just as the name indicates.

agentmouthwash
Aug 19, 2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Anyone here an Apple stockholder? E-mmail Apple and tell them that as a stockholder you would like to know what the plans are. Tell them that you know of hundreds of people that would like to purchase a PowerBook, but will not until new versions are released because the old ones are nearing the end of their product cycle.

Tell them they are poopyheads if they do not give you the information. ;)

Regards,
Gus

They are all poopyheads. I feel like a poopyhead myself glued to the computer all day waiting for new powerbooks.. loljavascript:smilie(':confused:')

benoda
Aug 19, 2003, 02:49 PM
I can only say this, if the rumored specs (1.25, AL across the board and nVidia poop graphics) come true, then I want to know what the heck is taking it so long. These aren't ground breaking new technologies, it all looks like a speed bump (minor), 15" AL case and same gfx card..........

if this took 8 months to get into the 15" then I'll surely be disappointed.

Matt The Moose
Aug 19, 2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by benoda

It probably just took Moto 8 months to make enough chips...

CmdrLaForge
Aug 19, 2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by benoda
I can only say this, if the rumored specs (1.25, AL across the board and nVidia poop graphics) come true, then I want to know what the heck is taking it so long. These aren't ground breaking new technologies, it all looks like a speed bump (minor), 15" AL case and same gfx card..........

I really can't agree more.

jaedreth
Aug 19, 2003, 03:03 PM
Let's face it. No matter how awesome the new powerbooks will be, they will still suck. The rev has been frozen for some time now, and the industry has passed us by. I don't expect anything more than the 15" catching up to the 12 and 17, and very slight speed bumps.

Jaedreth

Omek
Aug 19, 2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Matt The Moose
A 9800 with 128MB will probably run too hot for a notebook, especially if there's a 1.3GHz G4 inside as well. While everyone's going for their wish-list of what's inside the new PBs which are (of course) going to be out tomorrow - and are still probably going to be out tomorrow in a month's time - they ought to consider practical constraints.

A couple of weeks ago I had to use a wintel laptop, and nearly ended up burning myself on it. I taped a thermometer to the outside of the case: 60'C (140'F). In comparison, my 600MHz iBook occasionally reaches 35 (100'F). I'd rather have a slightly slower machine than burnt knees!

I didn't mean the 9800 with 128MB for the Powerbook, I meant the 9600 with 128MB. The PowerMac's can have the 9800 option and the Powerbook can have the 9600 128MB option for a little extra dough... I mean why not?

frankie
Aug 19, 2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by illumin8
I personally will be extremely disappointed if Apple doesn't use the ATI Mobility 9600 chipset in the new PowerBooks. Everyone knows Nvidia's mobile chipsets are the worst
Then you'll be disappointed. Multiple independent sites all say the new AlBooks use Nvidia. Yeah the 9600 would be better, but it's not happening this month.

FWIW, Nvidia isn't all as bad as you say. The 4-Go series is weak (like 4MX), and if the AlBooks use them I'm not buying.

But the new FX-Go could be decent. The Go 5600 looks at least as fast as the Mobility 9200. I might even accept a Go 5200 if the Mac drivers are good enough. If not, I'll find a used 1GHz TiBook.

cb911
Aug 19, 2003, 03:56 PM
PowerPage gave a very confident report of the updated PowerBooks, so here's hoping that they'll be released on Friday, after that 'meeting' Apple is having on Thursday. ;)

mrwilly123
Aug 19, 2003, 05:10 PM
what meeting? is there any evidence or info?

tizza
Aug 19, 2003, 05:29 PM
THIS WAITING IS KILLING ME!!!!! Hey at least Two Towers is out - now I just need my new 12" PB to watch it on ;)

Bear
Aug 19, 2003, 05:40 PM
I didn't mean the 9800 with 128MB for the Powerbook, I meant the 9600 with 128MB. The PowerMac's can have the 9800 option and the Powerbook can have the 9600 128MB option for a little extra dough... I mean why not?
So, what does the extra graphics memory give you on a small display? I can see wanting fast video. I can't see wanting video memory that won't get used.

walexx
Aug 19, 2003, 06:11 PM
What meeting on Thursday ??.

Geeze this update is getting a little ridiculous now. Considering that this is "The year of the laptop", what the hell is going on ??.

For the 15" update it better be good and it better be 2 updates worth. If its merely a speed bump and it being brought up to spec with the current 12 and 17inchers than I think its a very poor effort on Apples part, and quite frankly I would expect alot better.

Ive sold my tibook and am waiting for the 15" albook and will be ordering one the minute that they are released, but please oh please Apple, although you have my sale, please make it worth my while.

Now, can someone please tell me what meeting on Thursday ??

AppleMatt
Aug 19, 2003, 06:59 PM
This has been addressed, I realise, but for the confused:

Microsoft created DirectX. It is for Windows, not Mac, and never will be for Mac. Any PC games programmed to take advantage of DirectX have to be re-programmed for Mac, and any cards with DirectX optimisations are irrelavent.

Anyhoo...a new critical hole has been discovered in DirectX in the last few days with a eerie resemblance to the Blaster worm.

AppleMatt

jaedreth
Aug 19, 2003, 08:46 PM
Yep. Sure enough.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-030.asp

I work for an ISP whose customers are mainly PC, and we are getting hit HARD with worms and compromised machines due to unpatched MS vulnerabilities.

Don't have to worry about that with Macs.

Consider yourselves lucky. Very lucky.

We've had 2 Threat level 4 and 1 Threat level 3 worm in the past week alone.

Jaedreth

aarond12
Aug 19, 2003, 09:01 PM
I've got to stop reading these rumor pages. I've been waiting for the updated aluminum Powerbook 15" since the beginning of the year, when the rumors started.

If Apple chooses to put nVidia video on their new Powerbooks, I for one will be purchasing an older Powerbook 15" with the ATI chipset. I have a 15" flat panel iMac with the nVidia chipset, and am NOT happy with its performance -- especially how poorly it deals with video.

As far as a 2X DVD burner, haven't you all seen the firmware upgrade that makes the DVD burner in the current Powerbooks into a 2X burner?

In reference to video memory, more than 64MB is probably overkill for these LCD displays. 128MB may still be "reasonable" but 256MB is just eating up battery power with little, if any, performance increase.

walexx
Aug 19, 2003, 09:05 PM
Uhmmm, Im still wondering about this meeting on Thursday. Please oh please oh please can someone give me a heads up on whats going on ??

jaedreth
Aug 19, 2003, 09:24 PM
The Thursday meeting could be to see if the PowerBooks should be announced Thursday, or wait til next Tuesday. Or perhaps the meeting is for another product release. However, the powerbooks should roll any day now, because if it doesn't happen by next Tuesday, it won't happen until Paris. And stock will be gone long before then.

Jaedreth

SiliconAddict
Aug 19, 2003, 11:18 PM
Can someone explain why in the name god Apple is being a stubborn *** about putting ATI cards in their product line? :confused: Yes yes Iíve heard the tale of ATI raining on Jobs parade and announcing the cube before it was time.
Honestly who gives a dang at this point. Was that not a couple years ago or something? For the love of god Apple is going to go with a second rate video card because they canít make up and play nice?!?!?! Jobs and co need to burry the hatchet on this. ATI has to have learned their lesson. Move on and use superior parts for a superior product.

twisteduo
Aug 19, 2003, 11:24 PM
No one has said anything about pricing, where would one expect the "new" 12" 15" or 17" to fall? If and when blah blah blah...

Omek
Aug 19, 2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by Bear
So, what does the extra graphics memory give you on a small display? I can see wanting fast video. I can't see wanting video memory that won't get used.

Ya...OK, but how about at least giving us an ATI 9600 with 64MB... It's not "the best" but it's ten times better than any nVidia card at the moment. I still think a 128MB option would be nice though. It would be nice for games... and heavy duty applications like Photoshop and Dreamweaver.

brucku
Aug 20, 2003, 09:15 AM
The 17 inch has Nvidia chip right now, does everyone hate it ? Does the 15 inchTI (with the ATI chip) Out perform the current 17 inch?

I had not heard these complaints until everyone found out every model would have an nvidia chip in it, so what is the deal? Does Nvidia really suck ? Or do we all love complaining so much?

proff
Aug 20, 2003, 09:43 AM
U guys should stop fretting about 'new' powerbooks coming out and get a sony Vaio Z1RSP with Centrino 1.7 Ghz.... great build quality (magnesium), screen (1400x1050), bluetooth, wireless lan , 6.5 hr battery life and weighs same as 12 inch powerbook.... etc. whatever apple anounces 1.25/1.33 G4 or even a G5 ... its will never be as fast or stable as a centrino.....

CmdrLaForge
Aug 20, 2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by proff
U guys should stop fretting about 'new' powerbooks coming out and get a sony Vaio Z1RSP with Centrino 1.7 Ghz.... great build quality (magnesium), screen (1400x1050), bluetooth, wireless lan , 6.5 hr battery life and weighs same as 12 inch powerbook.... etc. whatever apple anounces 1.25/1.33 G4 or even a G5 ... its will never be as fast or stable as a centrino.....

Can you run Mac OS X on it ? - Yes ? Great !

If not - its not an option.

Dunepilot
Aug 20, 2003, 10:22 AM

I REALLY hope you are kidding. When Apple decides it can fit a G5 into a portable (which won't be for a while), it will show Centrino up for the joke that it is.

BTW, if you own that Vaio, I'd look forward to lots of calls to Sony when you find out how wonderful the 'great build quality' really is. Having sold enough Vaios myself in a former job, I can assure you the build quality is shoddy. When you see the upteenth customer returning their POS Sony laptop for a refund, you get a little jaded and decide you'll sell something that won't lose you sales in future.

AppleMatt
Aug 20, 2003, 04:12 PM
He's just a troll, ignore him.

I was suspicious of his first post ages ago, but nothing came of it.

AppleMatt

frankie
Aug 20, 2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by brucku
The 17 inch has Nvidia chip right now, does everyone hate it ? Does the 15 inchTI (with the ATI chip) Out perform the current 17 inch?Yes, the 15" with Radeon 9000 definitely outperforms the 17" with 440 Go (and the 12" with 420 Go is even slower).

Take a look at http://www.apple.com/powerbook/graphics.html Notice how Apple specifically states benchmarks of the 15" but not the 17". The GeForce 4 Go series is just plain slow (by 2003 standards).

pyrotoaster
Aug 20, 2003, 11:55 PM
I know I should ignore this nut, but I couldn't help but mention my opinion on an Intel technology as wonderful and groundbreaking as "Centrino".

Yes, "Centrino" gives PC users easy access to something called "Wi-Fi". It's an amazing new concept that allows networks to actually exist without wires!

To think, only a year ago "Centrino" didn't exist! Why I can't think of any company that got a head start on Intel here!

Oh wait. Yeah, I forgot about AirPort. But Apple only did that four years before "Centrino". That's not so long ago! Obviously Intel's the one with the groundbreaking technology here.

Why, what will Intel think of next? Who knows, maybe they'll be the first to introduce personal 64-bit computing.

Oh wait...
[/sarcastic rant]

Sorry about that, but sometimes I can't help myself.

Anyway, considering the wealth of recent rumors I'd say that there's a good chance we'll see new Powerbooks announced tomorrow (Thursday, for you time zone nuts). Friday's a possibility, but I like Thursday better for the announcement (though I'm not entirely sure why).

I suppose we'll know soon enough. :D

Nitrous250
Aug 21, 2003, 07:52 AM

I just bought a sony z1rap2 with 1.6 centrino and guess what? I returned that thing 10 days later. $3000 and for nothing special to be honest. Sure it was nice and light but no dvd burner, not even any applications. I loved it before i got it because of the specs and so on but once it arrived I just simply wasnt happy so I made the switch to mac. Got a 17 inch powerbook and this thing is UNREAL.
No complaints at all with the powerbook and good luck with the sony but I just didnt feel it was worth the money

a6rnh
Aug 21, 2003, 02:42 PM
19th, no 20th, no, this week, no, within the next few weeks, no actually we do NOT HAVE A CLUE!!!!!!! where the hell is this new powerbook????? if you lot are going to start rumours, at least have some truth hidden in there....come on....how long do we have to WAIT?????!!!!

-head has now exploded............----------------------

macmax
Aug 21, 2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by ELYXR
No matter what Apple puts out it can't possibly be as ugly or flimsy and cheap feeling as the new Dell line. Has anyone tried the Inspiron 8500? It's like the Millenium Falcon... Fast, but "What a piece of junk!"

I know this has been said, but I'd like to see intelligent dual-processors. Shut one off on battery power, turn it back on when on AC. That would be REALLY COOL!!

hey hey,
have some respect for the MIllenium Falcon

jaedreth
Aug 21, 2003, 04:30 PM
The Millenium Falcon is not "a piece of junk", it is "the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy". And Han Solo only calls it that, because he always used to tease Calrisean (whom he won the Falcon from in a bet) on how she's made of junk and spare parts.

Just because the entire thing is jury-rigged, doesn't mean it's crap.

It *is* the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy...

And so's the G5 ;)

Jaedreth

(powerbook powerbook powerbook powerbook powerbook)

Turismo86
Aug 21, 2003, 07:30 PM
At this point apple is toying with us... the powerbooks are probably boxed somewhere waiting to be shipped. But i dont nearly mind that as much as these infernal, unsubstantiated rumors that i keep hearing. Please everyone i get enough lies from the new york times how about we all just quietly fantasize over those aluminum cases until they actually are announced.