PDA

View Full Version : My Power Mac Tower makes a LOT of noise!!

Mac Michael
Sep 15, 2007, 12:35 PM
I recently was given an older Power Mac G4 1.25GHZ computer with a 17inch Studio Display. The computer works just fine with the exception of just one thing....it makes WAY TO MUCH NOISE!! When i first turn on the computer it sounds normal (very little noise but you can tell it's on) then after about 20 to 30 seconds....the thing sounds like an airplane about to take off from the runway!!! It has a "BLAST OFF" sound to it.
What can this be?
I also have an older iMac G4 with the 15 inch floating screen. (both computers where made about the same time) The iMac has NEVER given me any noise problems.
I NEED HELP WITH THE POWER MAC TOWER!!
Can anyone help me? Please?

Michael:(

Blue Velvet
Sep 15, 2007, 12:41 PM
The MDDs are infamous for being noisy as hell... I should know, I used to own one which I spent a further 260 on for two Verax kits (http://www.pcsilent.de/en_pd_Verax_M10_Apple-Kit_G4_Macintosh_302.html) (M10 & M11)to make using it in a small flat tolerable. There are other alternatives to using the Verax kits but I liked the idea of getting everything in one package.

There isn't much you can do except replace most of the fans, or put it an enclosed space bearing in mind it still needs ventilating.

Just google 'G4 noise' to get an idea of the issues involved.

Mac Michael
Sep 15, 2007, 01:02 PM
Blue Velvet,
Thanks for the quick reply to my question.
Looks like i'm just gonna have to "suffer" with this FREE computer i have.
I just wanted to know if the noise was "normal" or if mine had a problem...and now that i know..i feel better about just using the darn thing.:)
Thanks again.....

....looks like i'll be saving-up for a new (quieter) computer!!

Michael:)

Blue Velvet
Sep 15, 2007, 01:07 PM
Put it under the desk; stack some things around it leaving the front and rear vents open. Or get some long cables for monitor and keyboard and put it in a closet...

I ended up replacing my G4 tower with a MBP because relative silence and size with enough power for print design was a critical deciding factor in a very small flat like mine.

I feel your pain. :)

CarlsonCustoms
Sep 15, 2007, 01:10 PM
I had a G4 Powermac that I made pretty darn quiet. I took the powersupply apart and replaced the internal fan with a quieter one from newegg. I also replaced the big 120mm fan that's inside the tower with a quiet adjustable one. The only problem with that fan is that it's one of those "cool" ones with blue leds so the lights show through the side panels a bit but oh well..its quiet and that's all that matters.

Zack

Mac Michael
Sep 15, 2007, 01:11 PM
I'm gonna do the "long cable thing" for the monitor and keyboard.

Michael:apple:

Sherman Homan
Sep 15, 2007, 01:13 PM
Lookee here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G4
scroll down to the Mirror Door G4 (aka "Wind Tunnel") !
:eek:

Blue Velvet
Sep 15, 2007, 01:25 PM
IThanks again man..

Some of us are women here on MacRumors, we have two female moderators at the moment. Welcome to MR. :) ;)

Good luck with shutting your MDD G4 up. :D

Mac Michael
Sep 15, 2007, 01:28 PM
Sorry!!:o
My Fault!!
I just assumed you were male.
I should have asked.:)

Thanks again for your info.

Michael

cube
Sep 15, 2007, 01:29 PM
Wasn't there a free power supply replacement program at the time? If so, you have to thank the previous owner for not bothering.

Mac Michael
Sep 15, 2007, 01:31 PM
thanks for your input as well.
I'll look into the fans...
AND thanks for the links to the PowerMac G4's

Michael:)

thxdave
Sep 15, 2007, 02:26 PM
Wasn't there a free power supply replacement program at the time? If so, you have to thank the previous owner for not bothering.

Yep, there sure was. I had a MDD sitting next to me in a quiet office and that thing would drive me nuts especially when I was trying to edit audio. I got our IT Dept. to replace the power supply after I tracked down the recall info for them. They didn't even know anything about it <sigh>. That replacement plan might be WAY over by now but you might be able to find one of the replacement supplies on eBay or somewhere. Maybe someone got theirs and never installed it???
dave

AlexMaximus
Sep 15, 2007, 07:38 PM
I recently was given an older Power Mac G4 1.25GHZ computer with a 17inch Studio Display. The computer works just fine with the exception of just one thing....it makes WAY TO MUCH NOISE!! When i first turn on the computer it sounds normal (very little noise but you can tell it's on) then after about 20 to 30 seconds....the thing sounds like an airplane about to take off from the runway!!! It has a "BLAST OFF" sound to it.
What can this be?
I also have an older iMac G4 with the 15 inch floating screen. (both computers where made about the same time) The iMac has NEVER given me any noise problems.
I NEED HELP WITH THE POWER MAC TOWER!!
Can anyone help me? Please?

Michael:(

Check out these links regarding noise reductions on your G4. There are plenty of easy and low cost options.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070223194451975

and this one..

http://coolstuff.wordpress.com/2007/02/19/powermac-g4-mdd-cooling-and-noise-reduction/