Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotshotharry

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
After so eagerly jumping on the band wagon, but then reading about all the big disappointments thus far from the release of the itouch - bad screens, NO BT, lacking apps, etc... i decided i will just have to make do with my mbp until they resolve these issues, maybe a future release will sway me back!!! - shame too cause i really had my heart set on playing with a shiny new toy ! :) it took me most of the week to decide.

until then i am gonna ride my new mini bike lol!!! and enjoy fall before winter sets in .... a couple buddies bought them too :) maybe have to have a few drinks as well to enhance the festivities!

anyone else decide to hold off???

Garrett

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2007
Why don't you go try it out for yourself? Rather than taking others word for it, mine runs sooo smooth, there's no comparison to any of the "problems" you listed.

Anyhow, too bad your missing out :)

Only reason I am pissed that I cancelled it, is that Apple charged me $400 three times. (2 Online Orders '1 Mistake, 1 Perfect', 1 Purchase).

jonparadise

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2005
London, UK
It's a real shame you've done that.

The internet and press really aren't a balanced place to get information on a new product, especially new iPods where HUGE numbers are sold, and some of them are bound to have a few glitches. It stands to reason that the people that are more vocal are the ones who are having problems, not the ones who are happily enjoying their new iPod.

Unfortunately, alot of people also get shirty when a new product doesn't do something that they in particular want it too.

A week ago people were happy that the new iPod had a web browser and wireless, and already people are moaning that it hasn't got 'any other apps'.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
Don't cancel your touch just because of a few bad posts. It's quite possible that the majority of the touch owners aren't having problems at all. I for one am not having any problems with my touch. If I were you, I'd reorder it.

Prof. :apple:

hotshotharry

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
lol its nice to hear that someone is actually enjoying these things.

I suppose its possible that everyone with problems is posting and noone withought problems is posting!!! i may have to reconsider if this is the case. lol

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
Looking at the good/bad LCD comparisons site it looks like the failure rate is over 50%, which is pretty bad even for a new device. I don't have the opportunity to see one 'in the flesh' so have to go by reviews etc. and even the mainstream reviewers are mentioning these issues.

I've not quite cancelled yet, but have come so close. That youtube video on the other thread is an absolute killer.. They have until the 28th to fix the issues once and for all (we probably won't get the touch any earlier) so they could get over a bad batch. An inherent design flaw is harder.. if they release here with it as bad as it is in the US then they'd better prepare for a lot of refunds.

hotshotharry

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
lol your ship date was the same as mine!!

I think i am just going to wait and see what comes of this whole mess before i place my order again. I dont want to go through the hassle of returning it etc ...

i just got a new macbook which is really a far better ipod than the ipod is lol you just need need a big pocket to put it in! haha it will play video (any) and music and it has a 120GB hdd !!!! as well as blue tooth and wifi (n) it will tether to my smartphone for truly anywhere wireless access. It has many apps including mail, only thing its lacking is the touchscreen!

It has a 13 inch screen!! and it also does pics!! lol so i will not be too hard up in the mean time! :) (sans la mini touch screen)

wait!!! maybe once the macbook is small enough to fit in your pocket and have a touch screen interface i will buy it then :)

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
.. all the big disappointments thus far from the release of the itouch - bad screens, NO BT, lacking apps, etc... i decided i will just have to make do with my mbp ...

bad screens have affected hardly any of the iPods. If you have a bad screen I'm sure apple would be most helpful in resolving that issue.

No Bluetooth.. its an iPod, what the hell do you need bluetooth for ???

lacking apps.. same as above. It's an iPod, not an 'internet communications device' or whatever jobs called the iPhone. Its function is to play music and videos, and anything on top of that is a bonus!

For all the features you seem to want, it might be best to stick with your mbp. Buy a new-one, maybe you'll get a bad screen...

CaptainHaddock

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2004
Nagoya, Japan
After seeing all the awful iPod Touch screenshots and reading reports of lousy sound quality due to Apple going with a new (cheaper) supplier for audio decoders, I'm probably going to wait for the next revision.

Besides, my current iPod syncs via Firewire and interfaces with my Nikon camera. Apple seems hell-bent on removing features from the iPod.

hotshotharry

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
bad screens have affected hardly any of the iPods. If you have a bad screen I'm sure apple would be most helpful in resolving that issue.

- looks to be more than "hardly any" of the ipods thus far!

- to tether to a smart phone for web browsing of course !!!! or to transfer files to some other bluetooth enable device!

lacking apps.. same as above. It's an iPod, not an 'internet communications device' or whatever jobs called the iPhone. Its function is to play music and videos, and anything on top of that is a bonus!

- lol i want an iphone with no phone!! not an ipod with a fancy touch interface!

For all the features you seem to want, it might be best to stick with your mbp. Buy a new-one, maybe you'll get a bad screen...

- all these features exist! but they were stripped out ... which makes it an awfully expensive, small storage, poor looking, yet sexy looking music device.

owen-b

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2005
I did too. Frankly I don't believe that everyone that's saying their Touch is perfect either has the same standards or even realises what they're looking for. Someone on these forums said his was awesome and just fine and posted shots from the Touch and his video iPod playing the same video, and what he called really lovely deep blacks were horrible, over-contrasty blacks with no detail whatsoever, whereas his video iPod was showing clean, regular blacks with detail and shading.

I'll wait till I see what it looks like in the UK Apple Store before I spend my money on it. I think Apple are well aware of how crap the screens are, hence the appearance of a voucher in the UK that will get money off Touch-priced products but which runs out on the 29th of September - the day it arrives over here. They want everyone to pre-order in advance, knowing that as soon as it arrives and the issue becomes apparent, sales may drop until they work it out.

Conspiracy theory nonsense, probably but hey... Also, I don't want to risk having to return it by mail and probably having to pay the expenses on that - can you return something you bought from Apple Online to one of their Stores?

Finally, we have an announcement on the iPhone on Tuesday so I'll see what we're getting fobbed off with on that front first (probably the same 8GB rubbish the US got, even though I guarantee they have a 16GB ready to go).

It's an iPod, what the hell do you need WiFi for???

Oh yeah that's right, so that Apple can try to sell you yet more stuff on their WiFi Store.

IUBall22

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
just thought id say that i have absolutely no problems with my touch and im enjoying every minute of it...for all you touch doubters.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A100a Safari/419.3)

I have nothing to compare my touch to, but I have no complaints. More people like to post about complaints and problems than compliments.

ATT*mark

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2007
i love my itouch ive had zero issues with it. i havent done much reading on it so i didnt know about the screen issues. mine has been perfect. the interface runs real smooth and is quick. music sounds good to me so i dont know why people say there are decoder issues. only thing is that i tried to jailbreak it and all attempts failed. i wanted to add some games and mobile chat to it.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I had ordered one at BestBuy then decided to cancel that and get a 160GB Classic instead. I already have a iPhone so I have a good Touch already built in and it works perfectly with no screen issues.

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I ordered an iPod touch 8GB online some five hours after the keynote, but cancelled it on Saturday and just went to the Apple Store and picked one up. So I guess I canceled my touch, but just got another one. So I qualify for this thread. :p

seh80

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2005
Chicago, IL USA
I just cancelled mine! Going iPhone instead. :D Lucky for me they had not yet prepared mine for shipment, so cancellation was easy.

MatrixPrime

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
I just canceled mine. Not sure if I want to go iphone route or wait till these things are readily available at the Big Box stores, and I can easily exchange one if I have a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.