PDA

View Full Version : Free Custom Ringtones in iTunes 7.4.2

MacRumors
Sep 17, 2007, 06:25 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Shadowfax discovered how to restore custom ringtones (for free) in the latest version of iTunes 7.4.2 that was released. The newest iTunes apparently broke the previous iTunes hacks that allowed you to easily sync any AAC file as a Ringtone.

The workaround is simple, and simply involves combining the previous methods (file renaming, and ID3 tag changes).
You have to use that ID3 mod (Atomic Parsley) (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/09/13/ringtonator-and-proper-ringtone-files/), but use .m4r extensions. Once you change the STIK field to 14 using atomic parsley and change the extension from .m4a to .m4r, you can drag ringtones into your library again by hand

The ID3 mod (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/09/13/ringtonator-and-proper-ringtone-files/) was previously described which properly tags the AAC files as Ringtones. The M4R filetype also tells iTunes to place the ringtones into the proper location.

Due to the simplicity of the changes, it seems maybe Apple didn't maliciously break Ringtone support but simply solidified the format.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/09/17/free-custom-ringtones-in-itunes-7-4-2/)

devilot
Sep 17, 2007, 06:26 PM
I <3 me some geekery. :D I have no intentions of putting my own custom ringtones (or buying any either) on my phone, but I love that the geeky Mac community comes out with "fixes" in no time. Hehe.

ghall
Sep 17, 2007, 06:32 PM
Well, that didn't take very long.

chr1s60
Sep 17, 2007, 06:35 PM
That took a whole, what? Two hours?

I still think iToner is the way to go.

Dagless
Sep 17, 2007, 06:35 PM
When are Apple going to realise that we're a resourceful bunch and give up on this? Let those who don't know pay full whack and leave us lot alone? I hope we don't end up in a PSP situation where there is a ¨required¨ update every other day to get around piracy.

Telp
Sep 17, 2007, 06:40 PM

itoner isnt free though, this is.

shadowfax
Sep 17, 2007, 06:43 PM

:D I stumbled on it after about 5 minutes of toying around, although I had already done the ID3 tag fix on my ringtones, so I just had to try changing the extension...

Nagooya
Sep 17, 2007, 06:58 PM
:D I stumbled on it after about 5 minutes of toying around, although I had already done the ID3 tag fix on my ringtones, so I just had to try changing the extension...

I feel like such a noob... but can you give me some detailed instructions? Thanks!

Superdrive
Sep 17, 2007, 07:00 PM
Due to the simplicity of the changes, it seems maybe Apple didn't maliciously break Ringtone support but simply solidified the format.

Wouldn't that be something?! I'd love to see an end to all the back and forth play. I also find it interesting that iToner sticks through. That's a good record so far.

gceo
Sep 17, 2007, 07:02 PM
itoner isnt free though, this is.

That's not drag and drop. iToner is.

~not trying to start anything, just pointing out the *differences* to be fair.

Atomic Parsley is command line. This gives some folk the heebeejeebees.

jsinger986
Sep 17, 2007, 07:08 PM
Its not about people who don't know or can't figure out how to do the hacks... its about people who just don't want to deal with the hassle of doing ringtones themselves. To these people, who probably only want 1 or 2 ringtones total, its worth the $1 per ringtone to just use the iTunes ringtone system to create the ringtone and download it.

Why go through the hassle of making your own ringtone by editing down a song with a third party app or Garageband, do whatever hackery is needed to make the file compliant and then sync it to your phone when you can do it all in iTunes in a matter of seconds. Its not just about the ringtone, its about the ease and simplicity.

I do my own ringtones because the songs I want aren't available on iTunes. But, for my girlfriend, I just told her to do it off iTunes because it would be a lot less hassle.

Jeff

donlphi
Sep 17, 2007, 07:11 PM

Yes, but MakeiPhoneRingtone is, and I'm sure they will fix this in their free upgrade.

I've asked this in about six other posts, does iToner suvive all firmware updates? Just curious, because I agree with your previous post (or somebody's previous post) and I like the thought of prompt customer service/upgrades due to the fact that money changed hands.

MakeiPhoneRingtone is great, but I have a hunch even that will not be free for long. They will probably include it into fission (their sound editing software), which is unnecessary when you have garageband or even audacity. :(

ivi7
Sep 17, 2007, 07:14 PM
Its high time they should just let us make ringtones in itunes.

Cleverboy
Sep 17, 2007, 07:20 PM
Atomic Parsley is command line. This gives some folk the heebeejeebees.To be fair to both methods, I think YOU have to realize that it IS drag-and-drop simple... but that you need to find someone to package it right just for you (like Rogue Amoeba for instance). You just have to find the person/company who's created a drag-n-drop version FOR you. The fact of the matter is... once you've created the ringtone using this method, you'll never need to fuss with anything but iTunes to manage your ringtones afterwards! While iToner "manages" your ringtones, this method "converts" your ringtone so that its "iTunes compatible". Being "compatible" means that you don't need a separate "sync" to get new ringtones and another one in a different program in order to grab your latest podcasts... its all in one program (iTunes). It also means you can e-mail a ringtone to your iPhone-toting pals, and they can sync that ringtone in iTunes too.

As much as I dig iToner, you really can't get much simpler than that, especially without costing you anything extra. To repeat, while you can Do-it-Yourself with Atomic Parsely and renaming the file to m4r, numerous... NUMEROUS people have created drag-n-drop scripts from this technique.

The great thing about iToner is NOT how simple it is to use (as other free programs have come around, just as simple, considering they work WITH iTunes, and not as an add-on environment), but that once you pay Ambrosia the $15, THEY will keep up with updates FOR you and all you need to do is launch iToner and choose "Check for Updates" from the menu. It's an "update crazy" time right now it seems. By paying for it, you get the support of a very good company, watching your back. :)

~ CB

Bernie-Mac
Sep 17, 2007, 07:22 PM
Do you have to use the Atomic Parsley thing? Cuz that thing confuses me i never used that thing before i just changed the extension to m4r and then m4a when it was in the ringtones folder, what do i do exactly with this Atomic Parsley thing?

SilentCrs
Sep 17, 2007, 07:23 PM
I'm not entirely sure this workaround works. I tried the following with an m4a file:

1.) Changed the STIK field.
2.) Changed the file extension to m4r using Get Info.
3.) Dragged the file into iTunes.

Ok, great, it recognizes it on the Ringtone list. However, it doesn't show up on the Ringtone sync tab and when it gets to the point of copying the file iTunes complains that it won't work on the phone.

Next, I tried to change the file within the newly created Ringtones folder to m4a. Resynced. This time, it appeared to copy the file. But, it still doesn't appear on the Ringtones sync tab. Worse, it doesn't appear on the Ringtone list on the phone itself.

Unless I'm missing something obvious here, I think the people who came up with this "workaround" just saw the file show up on the Ringtone list and thought they were done. I can't seem to get files to copy to the phone AND be choosable on the phone's ringtone list.

Cleverboy
Sep 17, 2007, 07:26 PM
Its high time they should just let us make ringtones in itunes.It would seem Apple couldn't agree with you more:
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/TechQ307/Entries/2007/9/14_Apples_iTunes_Ringtones_and_the_Complex_World_of_Copyright_Law.html

Remember when that video came out on YouTube, showing that Apple had integrated ringtones into iTunes, and then suddenly the feature never materialized after launch? You notice that after all that negotiation, Universal Music is entirely absent from iTunes ringtones selection? Yeah. It's not easy trying to create legal services that benefit consumers, while making your way through gobs of red tape. Just FYI.

~ CB

whistler72
Sep 17, 2007, 07:29 PM
Apple encourages us to "Think Different", but it's funny when their Wallet is concerned they want us to think like everyone else and use only the ringtones that they approve...

GRRR.

alep85
Sep 17, 2007, 07:31 PM
I changed the STIK value using Atomic Parsley, and it adds them to the Ringtone tab on the right side of iTunes, but they don't show up on the iPhone and don't show up in the Ringtones Sync option. Any ideas on what I'm missing?

EDIT: It's even COPYING them to the iPhone but they still aren't showing up on the iPhone sound options or on the Ringtones sync tab....HELP!

scotty588
Sep 17, 2007, 07:32 PM
This trick isn't working for me. I changed the value using atomic parsley while the file is .m4r then renamed to .m4a and dragged into the ringtones spot in iTunes. Doesn't show up and not syncing.

shadowfax
Sep 17, 2007, 07:37 PM
I feel like such a noob... but can you give me some detailed instructions? Thanks!

Well, in theory,

the simplest way to do this is to download Atomic Parsley (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=153768), and then open a Terminal window, and drag the file "AtomicParsley" in the folder that you download onto it. Then press space in the Terminal window, and go to Finder and find the file you want, and drag it onto the Terminal window. now hit the space bar again in the Terminal window, and add "--stik value=14" (no quotes of course) to the input. It ought to look like this:
/Users/<yourname>/Desktop/AtomicParsley-MacOSX-0.9.0/AtomicParsley /Users/<yourname>/Desktop/<RingtoneName>.m4a --stik value=14

After that, go to the folder where the ringtone you added was, and you should see a file that looks like this: <RingtoneName>-temp-66832.m4a . Note that the number will be random (I think). Rename this file to <RingtoneName>.m4r. Make sure you do this by right-clicking on it, selecting "Get Info..." and changing the name and extension under the "Name & Extension" tab of the Info window.

After you do that, you can add it to your library. That's the simplest I can make it...

Let me know if this works, if you try it. It works for me, but one other user has found it doesn't--he's on a G4, though, if that is of significance.

shadowfax
Sep 17, 2007, 07:39 PM
This trick isn't working for me. I changed the value using atomic parsley while the file is .m4r then renamed to .m4a and dragged into the ringtones spot in iTunes. Doesn't show up and not syncing.
You need to add the .m4r version into iTunes. I hope that wasn't just a typo.

Can anyone else confirm this method? it works for me, but I haven't had anyone else try it and confirm it.

TurboSC
Sep 17, 2007, 07:46 PM
holy crap that was fast. lol way to go guys... new speed records hahah.

PBones
Sep 17, 2007, 07:46 PM
Shadowfax, have you tested this with an actual iPhone? The "stik then rename" technique works to add the file to the Library, and have it show up in the Ringtones sub-library.

However, the file does not appear in the Ringtones tab in iTunes, and of course, it doesn't sync over.

So, are you testing this with an iPhone, or just iTunes?

bravedeer
Sep 17, 2007, 07:47 PM
Just doesn't work. m4r, m4a, tried all sorts of songs. NADA!

scotty588
Sep 17, 2007, 07:48 PM
Ok this is strange. Now it is showing up under ringtones when I have my iPhone connected although under sounds on the phone it is not showing. It synced fine with no error.

rhett121
Sep 17, 2007, 07:48 PM
Speaking of which...Universal Music can suck my a$$hole. I wouldn't piss up their a$$ if their guts were on fire! I'll never "buy" another Universal product.

And hey Apple, stop screwing with us please. Isn't it enough that I've bought my music, AND transfered it to my phone, now I've got to buy it again to use as a ringtone? Hell, my POS Sony Ericsson would even let me use anything I want as a ringtone. I would expect a little more freedom from such a hippie company as Apple.

alep85
Sep 17, 2007, 07:49 PM
Well, in theory,

the simplest way to do this is to download Atomic Parsley (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=153768), and then open a Terminal window, and drag the file "AtomicParsley" in the folder that you download onto it. Then press space in the Terminal window, and go to Finder and find the file you want, and drag it onto the Terminal window. now hit the space bar again in the Terminal window, and add "--stik value=14" (no quotes of course) to the input. It ought to look like this:
/Users/<yourname>/Desktop/AtomicParsley-MacOSX-0.9.0/AtomicParsley /Users/<yourname>/Desktop/<RingtoneName>.m4a --stik value=14

After that, go to the folder where the ringtone you added was, and you should see a file that looks like this: <RingtoneName>-temp-66832.m4a . Note that the number will be random (I think). Rename this file to <RingtoneName>.m4r. Make sure you do this by right-clicking on it, selecting "Get Info..." and changing the name and extension under the "Name & Extension" tab of the Info window.

After you do that, you can add it to your library. That's the simplest I can make it...

Let me know if this works, if you try it. It works for me, but one other user has found it doesn't--he's on a G4, though, if that is of significance.
OK, I figured out I needed to use the Get Info tab to properly change the extension, but NOW, they get added to the Ringtones tab, but when they try to get synced, it says that they cannot be played on this iPhone.....WTF!!!!??!?!

bravedeer
Sep 17, 2007, 07:52 PM
And if so, what's the best way to do it?

chazzzzy
Sep 17, 2007, 07:54 PM
I did the Atomic Parsley steps and added the ringtones.. but also get the message the file cannot be played on my iPhone. So this procedure does not work.

Telp
Sep 17, 2007, 07:55 PM

Atomic Parsley is command line. This gives some folk the heebeejeebees.

Oh no, it's cool, your right, iToner is nice and a lot easier to use, but its not free, and thats the only bad thing about it as far as im concerned.

shadowfax
Sep 17, 2007, 07:58 PM
Shadowfax, have you tested this with an actual iPhone? The "stik then rename" technique works to add the file to the Library, and have it show up in the Ringtones sub-library.

However, the file does not appear in the Ringtones tab in iTunes, and of course, it doesn't sync over.

So, are you testing this with an iPhone, or just iTunes?

Just iTunes. I had been trying to run my iPhone battery out to calibrate it, so I hadn't tried. Dang, that's a load of crap. Guess we'll have to wait for a real solution. What a bunch of jackasses they are at Apple sometimes...

Sorry for getting your hopes up, folks. It's starting to look like iToner time, although I think for my part I will wait for someone to figure this out for real. Must be some real hacking involved.

chazzzzy
Sep 17, 2007, 08:00 PM
It's not Apple that is the problem.. Apple couldn't give a crap about whether we make ringtones.. it's the labels. And you know they are on Apple's butt to prevent this from happening.

scotty588
Sep 17, 2007, 08:00 PM
Ugh guess thats what I get for trying it out myself without more people confirming it.

alep85
Sep 17, 2007, 08:04 PM
This is ridiculous, I cannot find a lot of my favorite ringtones available through the store.....

benguild
Sep 17, 2007, 08:05 PM
Yeah, I was about to post that message BUT I tried syncing the update and it said it couldn't do it.

EricBrian
Sep 17, 2007, 08:10 PM
It's not Apple that is the problem.. Apple couldn't give a crap about whether we make ringtones.. it's the labels. And you know they are on Apple's butt to prevent this from happening.

Sorry, but I am calling ********* on this one... What about the ring tones that are generated by me saying things like: "Mom is calling", "Jeff is calling", "Beth is calling", etc? There are 'ringtones' that are not songs. And, if Apple let's them be on Apple's butt, then Apple has no spine!

shadowfax
It really is ridiculous. I only have 2 ringtones, and both of them are totally copyright free. I actually sampled one of them with my MBP's mic and cleaned it up in Amadeus Pro (which I own legally).

I bet they have modified it to only play protected AACs. That will be my guess, but we will have to see.

Cleverboy
LOL. You know... the funny part of this is? I'm just trying to find a pleasing way to do what I can do already with SendSong, etc, etc. It almost seems like Apple is pulling teeth to lock down iTunes on this issue.

In contrast to others in this forum, and even Engadget's addendum, apparently iTunes 7.4.2 has finally closed its doors to my custom ringtones and most superficial attempts I've made to load them on. I guess I have better things to do this week than find other ways to get ringtones into iTunes (or at least, heh... to share them with the Apple engineers clearly reading these threads). :D

~ CB

P.S. Hey, Apple... look out, your iTMS SDK is showing...

Gamemasta0
Sep 17, 2007, 08:12 PM
I did the procedure (slightly wrong I believe) with M4A files and they seemed to go into iTunes just fine. They all copied back over to the phone and I was happy. But then I looked on my phone and only a select few songs (specific to ones with all the proper metadata such as Red Hot Chili Peppers) were actually there for me to choose... This problem must be fixed

alep85
Sep 17, 2007, 08:14 PM
It really is ridiculous. I only have 2 ringtones, and both of them are totally copyright free. I actually sampled one of them with my MBP's mic and cleaned it up in Amadeus Pro (which I own legally).

I bet they have modified it to only play protected AACs. That will be my guess, but we will have to see.

That can't be, because what about purchased AAC's? Perhaps if there's a way to add the ACCOUNT INFORMATION. iTunes may be looking for more than just the STIK value, it may be checking to see if it is a purchased AAC. Surely a purchased AAC has some watermark in it that distinguishes it as being such. If we can duplicate that, then perhaps that is the missing link.

shadowfax
Sep 17, 2007, 08:18 PM
That can't be, because what about purchased AAC's? Perhaps if there's a way to add the ACCOUNT INFORMATION. iTunes may be looking for more than just the STIK value, it may be checking to see if it is a purchased AAC. Surely a purchased AAC has some watermark in it that distinguishes it as being such. If we can duplicate that, then perhaps that is the missing link.

a purchased AAC is a protected AAC, except in the case of the iTunes plus songs.

arn
Sep 17, 2007, 08:21 PM
sorry for the premature post guys. guess it doesn't work.

arn

xmax21
Sep 17, 2007, 08:23 PM
wait...is theres a ringtone for windows yet???

scotty588
Sep 17, 2007, 08:23 PM
Anyone have a link to iTunes 7.4.1 ?

shadowfax
Sep 17, 2007, 08:24 PM
sorry for the premature post guys. guess it doesn't work.

arn

I apologize too, arn. I will make sure and do an end-to-end test before I try to post a method next time. Man, this is such a bummer. What an aggravation Apple is being these days.

Anyone have a link to iTunes 7.4.1 ?That sounds like the best option at this point.

alep85
Sep 17, 2007, 08:32 PM
a purchased AAC is a protected AAC, except in the case of the iTunes plus songs.

Thus what I'm saying. Perhaps the ringtones are being encoded in an iTunes Plus, purchased AAC style. If they're not properly tagged with your account information and some other sort of metadata designating them as ringtones, the iPhone doesn't get to play them.

MCroft
Sep 17, 2007, 08:34 PM
When I use AP on the original file, there's no stik value set

power-mac-g5:~/Desktop/work$ ~/Desktop/Downloads/AtomicParsley-MacOSX-0.9.0/AtomicParsley ./DrWhoTheme.original.m4a -t
Atom "©nam" contains: DrWhoTheme
Atom "©ART" contains: My Name
Atom "©alb" contains: My Name's Album
Atom "©wrt" contains: Made with MakeiPhoneRingtone - http://www.rogueamoeba.com (35D50D7E-F60C-4B28-AAC5-4C7AD5BC72D0-8511-0000152D89D09FDF)
Atom "tmpo" contains: 120
Atom "----" [iTunNORM] contains: 000014C2 000014C2 00003D11 00003D11 000036F5 000036F5 00006EC5 00006EC3 00000017 00000017

If I use --stik value=14, then I get
Atom "stik" contains: Unknown value: 14
If I use --stick 14 or "14" then I get
Atom "stik" contains: Movie

I got the AP source and added a new type 14=Ringtone, but that didn't help.

If this works from Intel but not PPC, then it may be an endian issue.

PBones
Sep 17, 2007, 08:35 PM
-Making a ringtone from an iTunes Plus song with iTunes (only possible with iTunes 7.4.2) adds FairPlay protection to it when you buy it. Interesting and odd.

-It may be that iTunes looks for FairPlay protection before allowing a file in the Ringtones tab (of the iPhone settings). This would make the most sense if they actually wanted to lock third party ringtones out.

-If iTunes is looking for FairPlay, there's more to it. With iTunes 7.4.1, MakeiPhoneRingtone was able to get FairPlay-protected files onto the iPhone. They refused to actually play audio, but they did transfer. With 7.4.2 and the above-mentioned tricks, these files show up in the Ringtones sub-library, but not in the Ringtones tab. So, it seems it's something more than just FairPlay.

moki
Sep 17, 2007, 08:39 PM

If all you ever want to do is put those two ringtones on your iPhone, I would fully support you using iToner and not paying for it. All you need to do is wait a little bit through the nag dialog, and then Sync your iPhone in iToner, and those ringtones should stay on your phone through iTunes updates, iPhone OS updates, etc.

Certainly we're a commercial company that has bills to pay, etc., but I would not begrudge you one bit for using iToner to put these two ringtones on your iPhone, and leaving it at that.

People who want to do more with ringtones, adding/deleting them from time to time, etc., of course I would encourage to pay for iToner. While it may not seem like it from the outside, it was actually quite a bit of work to get iToner to function properly.

Gamemasta0
Sep 17, 2007, 08:41 PM
For some reason my metadata method only works for those songs... which I did acquire from another computer who had bought them in my network. It may have something to do with protected AACs like they suggest since the only ringtones on my phone (which I'm thankful for at this point) are ones I have bought

shadowfax
Sep 17, 2007, 08:42 PM
If all you ever want to do is put those two ringtones on your iPhone, I would fully support you using iToner and not paying for it. All you need to do is wait a little bit through the nag dialog, and then Sync your iPhone in iToner, and those ringtones should stay on your phone through iTunes updates, iPhone OS updates, etc.

Certainly we're a commercial company that has bills to pay, etc., but I would not begrudge you one bit for using iToner to put these two ringtones on your iPhone, and leaving it at that.

People who want to do more with ringtones, adding/deleting them from time to time, etc., of course I would encourage to pay for iToner. While it may not seem like it from the outside, it was actually quite a bit of work to get iToner to function properly.I very much appreciate that. FWIW, I bought Snapz Pro X once upon a time. I haven't needed to do screenshots in ages, or I'd updated it... :)

Gamemasta0
Sep 17, 2007, 08:45 PM
Now that my Ringtones have been transferred for what seems to be multiple times, iTunes seems to not have tagged them correctly because they actually HAVE been syncing multiple times. I checked in iToner and it shows about 4 duplicates of some songs and more for others and less for others... just take this into account

AJsAWiz
Sep 17, 2007, 08:46 PM

People who want to do more with ringtones, adding/deleting them from time to time, etc., of course I would encourage to pay for iToner. While it may not seem like it from the outside, it was actually quite a bit of work to get iToner to function properly.

You're very open minded :o

Personally, when I try a shareware program that I like I buy it ;)

DoubleD07
Sep 17, 2007, 08:48 PM
how does it know you have bootlegged tones? It would seem to me that there would be a list of stock and tones available via iTunes and it iTunes found some not on the list it would delete them. So if you named it Miranda or one of the other stock tones it would over look it?

aaiphone
Sep 17, 2007, 08:49 PM
Another work around is just to use sendspace and send yourself a regular MP3 and just save it in ~/Library/Ringtones and bypasses the whole iTunes ringtones... I upgraded to 7.4.2.4 and was not able to do the id3 tag with iTunes...

compuguy1088
Sep 17, 2007, 08:53 PM
Apple encourages us to "Think Different", but it's funny when their Wallet is concerned they want us to think like everyone else and use only the ringtones that they approve...

GRRR.

Maybe years ago. As of recently I have not heard or seen them use that marketing line...

PineAPPLE
Sep 17, 2007, 09:02 PM
Just SSH them into your phone... I did this with mine using CyberDuck a long time ago and they have survived every single firmware update.

CoreWeb
Sep 17, 2007, 09:10 PM
Perhaps we should report "Custom Ringtones not Working" as a bug on bugreport.apple.com
:D

Seriously, Apple is embarrassing themselves with this whole issue. I don't care if it's the music industry which is twisting their arm, this looks bad. And the fact that it took them... what, two to three tries to close it "properly" - this looks even worse (and we know there will probably be a hack eventually).

chazzzzy
Sep 17, 2007, 09:13 PM
Just tested iToner and it works great.. so get that program and stop complaining.

compuguy1088
Sep 17, 2007, 09:19 PM
Perhaps we should report "Custom Ringtones not Working" as a bug on bugreport.apple.com
:D

Seriously, Apple is embarrassing themselves with this whole issue. I don't care if it's the music industry which is twisting their arm, this looks bad. And the fact that it took them... what, two to three tries to close it "properly" - this looks even worse (and we know there will probably be a hack eventually).

Well there is, the ringtones can be added to the phone via SSH, and there is still iToner (which isn't free, though). Somebody is going to eventually make a free program that does a similar thing like iToner.

moki
Sep 17, 2007, 09:37 PM
Just SSH them into your phone... I did this with mine using CyberDuck a long time ago and they have survived every single firmware update.

Again, if you use this technique, your ringtones *will* get wiped out with the next iPhone OS update. That's one reason we don't do it that way in iToner.

macit iphoneguy
Sep 17, 2007, 10:06 PM
What a mess apple!!!! For many reasons I regret my IPhone and ringtones is one sore thumb. I miss my symbian v1 6620 phone that I swapped from to get an IPhone. I was able to sync with contacts get free 3rd party apps like nes and of course put any ringtones id like on there including Ogg's with an extra plug-in for symbian that was readily available through 3rd party sites... The whole 9 yards, and no jailbreaking, unshackleing. Or any other modification required. STANDARD FEATURES (OPEN SOURCE) Maybe I need a Linux or symbian phone...

Foolish me for thinking that apple would produce a good cell phone allowing any ringtone I choose supporting mp3 aac wav ... maybe even ogg at some point through some special plug-in or modification.

Instead they are trying to turn me into a fool who would pay $2 for a song I own just to downloaded it from them and then convert it into a ringtone once... per 99 c that is. Personally over the past 3-4 years ive had my nokia ive laughed at people who pay anything for a ringtone. Sure maybe its great for those non power users or even inexperienced users but for those of us that know what’s going on let us be. Free ringtones have long been available to those with a little know how!!!

ITS A RINGTONE MADE FROM A SOUND (song or not) ON MY PHONE. A PHONE THAT I PAYED MY MONEY FOR MAKEING IT MY PROPERTY AND ALSO SIGNED MY LIFE AWAY FOR THE NEXT 2 YEARS.
IT’S MY RIGHT TO BE ABLE TO USE IT AS I SEE FIT...

Apple you are annoying your power users

SCHOULD HAVE GOTTEN AN N95 I GUESS

ejrizo
Sep 17, 2007, 10:07 PM
Again, if you use this technique, your ringtones *will* get wiped out with the next iPhone OS update. That's one reason we don't do it that way in iToner.

while i agree with you and we love your software keep it up... anyway since i hack and add apps to my phone anyway i might as well use the ssh way, since i have to wipe my phone everytime there is a firmware update anyway... but if i didnt hack and add 3rd party tones i would use iToner...

i have my bro using it right now and he loves it. :-)

chr1s60
Sep 17, 2007, 10:10 PM
Once again, iToner may not be free but it works. It's $15 dollars more towards a phone that you likely spent $600 on.

YoungCreative
Sep 17, 2007, 10:11 PM
For now, I am not going to upgrade my iTunes. Seems the only real "fix" is to cripple my ring tone. So, for now, my phone still shouts out, "Bring out your dead!" :D

C'mon Apple, have a heart and let us express ourselves creatively. Now, wouldn't that be "insanely great", Steve?

shadowfax
Sep 17, 2007, 10:54 PM
For now, I am not going to upgrade my iTunes. Seems the only real "fix" is to cripple my ring tone. So, for now, my phone still shouts out, "Bring out your dead!" :D

C'mon Apple, have a heart and let us express ourselves creatively. Now, wouldn't that be "insanely great", Steve?
This is the best policy. I don't know what I was thinking, running the update. What's aggravating, though, is that you can't hold out forever--any iPhone update will require the latest iTunes, for sure.

shadowfax
Sep 17, 2007, 11:03 PM
What a mess apple!!!! For many reasons I regret my IPhone and ringtones is one sore thumb. I miss my symbian v1 6620 phone that I swapped from to get an IPhone. I was able to sync with contacts get free 3rd party apps like nes and of course put any ringtones id like on there including Ogg's with an extra plug-in for symbian that was readily available through 3rd party sites... The whole 9 yards, and no jailbreaking, unshackleing. Or any other modification required. STANDARD FEATURES (OPEN SOURCE) Maybe I need a Linux or symbian phone...

Foolish me for thinking that apple would produce a good cell phone allowing any ringtone I choose supporting mp3 aac wav ... maybe even ogg at some point through some special plug-in or modification.

Instead they are trying to turn me into a fool who would pay $2 for a song I own just to downloaded it from them and then convert it into a ringtone once... per 99 c that is. Personally over the past 3-4 years ive had my nokia ive laughed at people who pay anything for a ringtone. Sure maybe its great for those non power users or even inexperienced users but for those of us that know what’s going on let us be. Free ringtones have long been available to those with a little know how!!!

ITS A RINGTONE MADE FROM A SOUND (song or not) ON MY PHONE. A PHONE THAT I PAYED MY MONEY FOR MAKEING IT MY PROPERTY AND ALSO SIGNED MY LIFE AWAY FOR THE NEXT 2 YEARS.
IT’S MY RIGHT TO BE ABLE TO USE IT AS I SEE FIT...

Apple you are annoying your power users

SCHOULD HAVE GOTTEN AN N95 I GUESS

I agree that they are kind of making a mess out of this ringtone business. 3rd party development... it remains to be seen. I am fine with AppTapp installer (which is an amazingly cool application, oh my goodness!) and the steadily and vastly improving availability of games and IM programs... even the NES emulator, though I haven't messed with it. I am a power user, and I am really enjoying things over all. Apple being stupid about things like this (which are mostly due to record labels, I really think--not legal requirements, but they can't just piss them the heck off that way) really shys in comparison to the general awesomeness that is the iPhone experience. Honestly, I'm a lot more pissed off about Yahoo's BULLCRAP "IMAP support" that only lets you use IMAP on your iPhone and not on your computer. WHAT IS THE POINT OF THAT? I am also a lot more pissed off at Google for not supporting IMAP at all. And I am even more pissed off than that about how Apple's Mail app on the iPhone doesn't sync at all with the mail.app program on my computer. No options to sync folders, and no syncing of rules or junk filtering. what a bunch of BS. Ringtones are way peripheral to that.

And I still love my iPhone. It has a long way to go, but has the potential to go there. I wouldn't give it up for any other phone.

synth3tik
Sep 17, 2007, 11:15 PM
Apple makes me so happy, I want to buy a Zune.

shadowfax
Sep 17, 2007, 11:21 PM

Be careful what you wish for. Santa may just bring you a warm brown lump of Zune. :p

synth3tik
Sep 17, 2007, 11:23 PM
Be careful what you wish for. Santa may just bring you a warm brown lump of Zune. :p

Thanks, I now have to clean the screen.:D

CoreWeb
Sep 17, 2007, 11:31 PM

zPhone - more commonly known as turdPhone. Of course, it does come in brown - it wouldn't be Zuney otherwise.

Nice that the zPhone is gaining a reputation before it is even released, isn't it?;) (If it ever is released.)

wm666
Sep 18, 2007, 05:24 AM
I think actually it's easy to get it work with other third party software. iNdependence, for example, works for me :)

breathmint
Sep 18, 2007, 07:23 AM

yeah, i have to agree here. i have been anti-iTunes since the beginning (for myself). i know it's great for some users, but for those of us who like a little more control over our files and our player, and don't need something so bloated and convoluted for something as easy as naming files, and listening to them... iTunes has never been the solution.

i only installed it upon being forced to, by purchasing an iPhone. that said, it works fine for me. i installed 7.4 and then 7.4.1 and from there i shall stop. it does everything i need (it will sync music and info to my phone) !! it will even let me update my phone's firmware w/o forcing me to update iTunes. so why bother updating, if it only means locking out more and more features?

my mp3 library is about 100 GB of music, roughly 20% of which is ripped from CDs I have purchased throughout my life. Another 40% are other people's rips of CDs I have purchased (still seems legal to me). Now, why on earth does Apple think if I buy a song somewhere else it isn't legal?? As if "only the iTunes store sells the rights to music, screw you if you bought the cd and did your own rip..."

well if you feel like i do, then just go back to 7.4.1... at least for now... until someone releases a good/free app for doing the real right thing.

Windows (7.4.1):
http://filehippo.com/download/4d2c4ece54bf48663eb26fd230f0d5a8/download/
Windows(7.4):
http://filehippo.com/download/1a764d21822ec482861ee70faf59f32f/download/
OS X (7.4.1):
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1066335784/2

my 2 cents,
mint

Clive At Five
Sep 18, 2007, 10:55 AM

If this isn't a subtle plug, I don't know what is! ;)

Oh, Welch... Say hello to Hector for me.

P.S. Since you guys are all iPhone savvy now, hows about porting some of your delicious games to be all iPhone-friendly? Don't make me say it.............. Escape Velocity...............

Damn, I said it.

-Clive at Five
(a.k.a. Super Ant ;))

akophone
Sep 18, 2007, 12:29 PM

Well, drag and drop (ala iToner) again for free, using ssh, yes? ;)

iDriveX
Sep 18, 2007, 02:02 PM
There's so many threads in so many places about ringtones right now, so my question is this:

Is there a way, right now, to add custom, self-made ringtones to iTunes 7.4.2 and have them sync through iTunes to my iPhone and have them usable on my iPhone if I have an unprotected mp3 or ACC file I would like to use? And if so, how is the way to do it?

iDriveX
Sep 18, 2007, 02:04 PM
.............. Escape Velocity...............

Seconded.

macit iphoneguy
Sep 18, 2007, 03:01 PM
.............. Escape Velocity...............

Wow now thats a name drop, that would be a sick game to play and pass the time

EV phone home

moki
Sep 18, 2007, 04:05 PM
If this isn't a subtle plug, I don't know what is! ;)

Oh, Welch... Say hello to Hector for me.

P.S. Since you guys are all iPhone savvy now, hows about porting some of your delicious games to be all iPhone-friendly? Don't make me say it.............. Escape Velocity...............

Damn, I said it.

-Clive at Five
(a.k.a. Super Ant ;))

heh... I'm surprised you didn't add "massively multiplayer" :)

The problem -- or I should say "challenge" -- with the iPhone is picking games that will adapt well to it. I can't imagine anything more painful than trying to play EV with the touch interface that the iPhone offers.

We'd love to do an iPhone game... but the reality is that unless we came up with a self-contained, easy to use installer for the game, as well as a game that would lend itself well to the iPhone's UI, it wouldn't make much sense to do one.

Clive At Five
Sep 18, 2007, 04:16 PM
heh... I'm surprised you didn't add "massively multiplayer" :)

The problem -- or I should say "challenge" -- with the iPhone is picking games that will adapt well to it. I can't imagine anything more painful than trying to play EV with the touch interface that the iPhone offers.

We'd love to do an iPhone game... but the reality is that unless we came up with a self-contained, easy to use installer for the game, as well as a game that would lend itself well to the iPhone's UI, it wouldn't make much sense to do one.

hahaha MMOEV on the iPhone. What a joke that would be.

No, no, you're right, EV would be impossible to implement on the iPhone... as well as anything that would require repetative fast clicking... which happens to describe many of your games.

I just miss the thrill of a new EV gaming experience!

hmm... maybe you could tap into the tilt-sensors and use them to steer in a "Mars Rising"-style game. Then you'd only have the issues of firing....

Heh, okay, I'm only dreaming. And it's all for naught. I don't even have an iPhone!

Anyway, I'm totally going to go home and play EV tonight. Thanks a lot, jerk. ;):D

-Clive

Divindude
Sep 18, 2007, 11:15 PM
So back to ringtone, I honestly think that getting the files into iTunes is the way to go ... the question is how to do that. It is obvious that there are holes in iTunes to allow this because of the hacks of 7.4 and 7.4.1. In looking at Apple's procedure to create a ringtone requires you to A: buy a song (or have bought a song) and B: buy a ringtone of that song. in the original 7.4 hacks the ringtone could not exist with the original song in the same library. Could it be that having the two is now a requirement? (along with the id tags) Since it would seem that you should have the whole song in your library along with the ringtone to make it work.

Just an idea ...j

As for me, Steve can suck my big-one before I'll buy a ringtone from him. I don't even care for having music snippits as a ringtone. I'd rather have more obscure sounds that should be free.

shadowfax
Sep 19, 2007, 01:16 AM
There's so many threads in so many places about ringtones right now, so my question is this:

Is there a way, right now, to add custom, self-made ringtones to iTunes 7.4.2 and have them sync through iTunes to my iPhone and have them usable on my iPhone if I have an unprotected mp3 or ACC file I would like to use? And if so, how is the way to do it?As of right now, it doesn't appear so. Sorry.

scotty588
Sep 19, 2007, 01:36 AM
I am trying to install iTunes 7.4.1 but it won't let me saying I have a newer version installed. If I uninstall iTunes 7.4.2 will I lose setting and then will it complain about my iPhone being synced with another computer?

intelliot
Sep 19, 2007, 04:04 AM
As of right now, it doesn't appear so. Sorry.

Where can I download iTunes 7.4.1?

I currently have 7.3.2.6.

maxrdc
Sep 19, 2007, 07:49 AM
Hi Guys: Kudos for the great job, unfortunatelly, I have the same result as alep85, the ringtones appeared in my itunes and also were added to the ringtones tab of the iphone and they are being copied, although nothing appears on the ringtones sync option and they won't show up on my iphone when i try to look for them. The weird thing is that you see the ringtones are being copied to the iphone, but where are they ended up?

maxrdc

iDriveX
Sep 19, 2007, 06:44 PM
Sucky...You know what that means...None of us have to upgrade to 7.4.2...until they upgrade the iPhone Firmware to 1.1.1, Then it will require you to upgrade.

So i guess you have to ask yourself: Free Ringtones or the features that 1.1.1 brings. Personally, I'll take the free ringtones, he can keep his international keyboard.

drummingcraig
Sep 20, 2007, 09:22 AM
It would seem Apple couldn't agree with you more:
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/TechQ307/Entries/2007/9/14_Apples_iTunes_Ringtones_and_the_Complex_World_of_Copyright_Law.html

Remember when that video came out on YouTube, showing that Apple had integrated ringtones into iTunes, and then suddenly the feature never materialized after launch? You notice that after all that negotiation, Universal Music is entirely absent from iTunes ringtones selection? Yeah. It's not easy trying to create legal services that benefit consumers, while making your way through gobs of red tape. Just FYI.

~ CB

Thats a great article. Thank you for posting it. As a musician I have working knowledge of the copyright laws and the RIAA "SWAT team" mindset. I have tried to explain this to numerous folks on other forums and they don't always get. I guess its just easier to point the finger at Apple. :rolleyes:

Craig

iDriveX
Sep 20, 2007, 09:31 AM
I disagree with the gobs of red tape issue because Apple is already letting us add things to the library that they don't know if we acquired legally or illegally.

Today:
Ringtones: Only available for purchase through the iTunes Music Store.
Music: Add your own music in the form of Mp3/ACC or buy from the iTunes Music Store.

These are identical features. There are people out there who are creating their own music in GarageBand and adding it to their iTunes Library. There are people out there who are ripping their own CDs and adding it to their iTunes Library, but at this point, there is no one out there with the ability to create their own ringtone and add it to their iTunes Library. There's also no way to purchase a ringtone from another vendor and copy it into the iTunes Library. Imagine if Apple only let you store music that was purchased through the iTunes Music Store? The RIAA doesn't own "Ringtones".

I think that a way that Apple can get around this "red tape" is by having a feature in GarageBand that automates the process of creating a 30 second ringtone in GarageBand and then a menu option to "Export to iPhone (Ringtone)". We have the feature in Quicktime "Export to iPhone" and "Export to AppleTV". Where's the RIAA in this feature? Do we have the right to convert a quicktime file into something viewable on the AppleTV or iPhone? This way they can look at the RIAA and say "Look, we're forcing people to pay royalities on Ringtones for you guys, but we're not going to hinder our users from creating their own. We're a company that tells its users to be creative. We're not going to stall the creative process."

drummingcraig
Sep 20, 2007, 10:08 AM
I disagree with the gobs of red tape issue because Apple is already letting us add things to the library that they don't know if we acquired legally or illegally.

Today:
Ringtones: Only available for purchase through the iTunes Music Store.
Music: Add your own music in the form of Mp3/ACC or buy from the iTunes Music Store.

These are identical features. There are people out there who are creating their own music in GarageBand and adding it to their iTunes Library. There are people out there who are ripping their own CDs and adding it to their iTunes Library, but at this point, there is no one out there with the ability to create their own ringtone and add it to their iTunes Library. There's also no way to purchase a ringtone from another vendor and copy it into the iTunes Library. Imagine if Apple only let you store music that was purchased through the iTunes Music Store? The RIAA doesn't own "Ringtones".

I think that a way that Apple can get around this "red tape" is by having a feature in GarageBand that automates the process of creating a 30 second ringtone in GarageBand and then a menu option to "Export to iPhone (Ringtone)". We have the feature in Quicktime "Export to iPhone" and "Export to AppleTV". Where's the RIAA in this feature? Do we have the right to convert a quicktime file into something viewable on the AppleTV or iPhone? This way they can look at the RIAA and say "Look, we're forcing people to pay royalities on Ringtones for you guys, but we're not going to hinder our users from creating their own. We're a company that tells its users to be creative. We're not going to stall the creative process."

I both agree and disagree with you to a point.

First off, I am by no means siding with the RIAA. The major label recording industry has been in a flat spin since the inception of the "digital music revolution" and they are all grasping at any threads they can get their paws on.

I think with the iPod/iTunes, Apple had no choice but to offer a product that was open to usage of both copy-protected and un-protected files. Imagine if you will the success of the iPod had it been designed to ONLY play music which had been purchased via the iTunes store. Do you think it would be the cultural mainstay that it is today? Once Apple got into the music retailing business (iTunes Store) they had no choice but to comply with copyright laws, hence the DRM locked iTunes files and restrictions.

With the iPhone's ringtones you are dealing with a peripheral function of the device; i.e. the iPhone is not a "ringtone player". Add to that the longterm and often rocky relationships that Apple has with the different record labels. Apple has to choose its battles and I am not sure that offering unchecked ringtone creation abilities at the cost of "rocking the boat" is a fight they wanna get into.

The RIAA/record labels see the ringtone market as another "thread" on which to grasp and they are surely pressuring Apple to accommodate them. I understand your example of the Quicktime features and my only guess is that its one of the many holes the the "RIAA road crew" has yet to attempt to patch. I know that their big argument with ringtones is that since most ringtones are audible in public places it constitutes a "public performance" vs. a song you listen to via headphones (private use). Perhaps the video copying issue is falling close enough to the private usage tree that they aren't worried about it yet.

In regards to making your own ringtones (i.e. from Garage Band or using your own voice), I am not sure there is a sure fire way for Apple to enable this without opening a back door to illegal ringtones. I am sure it could be developed, but it doesn't seem to be a priority at the moment.

All in all, the copyright issues are sticky ones and the business that surrounds them is even stickier. Apple has to be careful not to bite the hand that feeds them, so-to-speak.

Craig

iDriveX
Sep 20, 2007, 11:04 AM
I never thought about it from a "Public Performance" perspective. You do have a very valid point there. Perhaps I'm not as saavy as the businessmen at the RIAA. I feel that having a 30 second ringtone is an example of "free advertising" for the artist. For instance, I'm a fairly mainstream music guy, but the person in the cubicle next to me has a ringtone of "Copacabana". I downloaded the song last night and made it into a ringtone and dropped it into my iPhone just to be as annoying as her and get a laugh. A 30 second teaser of popular music may remind people that "Oh yeah, I really want to own that song".

I understand that Apple has to pick it's battles, but at $0.99 I think they have already proved to the record labels that people are WILLING to pay for that kind of convenience. By locking out legitimate users, they are actually encouraing piracy of ringtones due to the public outcry. There are more articles on how to circumvent ringtone protection now which creates awareness. If there was a legitimate way to create your own ringtone there wouldn't be nearly as many articles out there.

In regards to making your own ringtones (i.e. from Garage Band or using your own voice), I am not sure there is a sure fire way for Apple to enable this without opening a back door to illegal ringtones. I am sure it could be developed, but it doesn't seem to be a priority at the moment.

Currently Apple's primary method of discourging the use of pirated music is to have a warning box that comes up that says "Don't Steal Music". And in the fine print on every iPod, it says "Don't Steal Music". Time to revise the fine print to say "And Don't Steal Ringtones" and open up that back door for legitimate users.

At this point, I would be perfectly happy to pay $0.99 to create my own ringtone in garageband, where the money goes into a slush fund that is distributed to the RIAA...or the poor...or AIDS research or something like that. I don't care, just give me my functionality!

Actually I was just being funny, but seriously, with this Product {RED} thing the RIAA could get some great free press if they jointly enter into a promotion with Apple to create a Ringtone {RED} product where you pay $0.99 to create your own ringtone and all proceeds are donated to AIDS research. It's a drop in the bucket for most consumers and people would be hard pressed to complain about helping people with AIDS.

drummingcraig
Sep 20, 2007, 11:43 AM
I never thought about it from a "Public Performance" perspective. You do have a very valid point there. Perhaps I'm not as saavy as the businessmen at the RIAA. I feel that having a 30 second ringtone is an example of "free advertising" for the artist.

You could see the 30 second or less ringtone as an "advertisement", but any profits coming from that angle would be VERY transparent/intangible to a record company. Whereas, if they drectly charge for the ringtone they are getting a hard profit from the ringtone AND it still has the ability to generate income down the road from potentially luring a new listener. Greedy? Maybe. Logical? Yes.

Currently Apple's primary method of discourging the use of pirated music is to have a warning box that comes up that says "Don't Steal Music". And in the fine print on every iPod, it says "Don't Steal Music". Time to revise the fine print to say "And Don't Steal Ringtones" and open up that back door for legitimate users.

[devil's advocate]
"Nonsense! How could we possibly know that the song file being used to make the ringtone was obtained legitimately in the first place?!?! We can't possibly risk condoning the legal use of illegal material!
[/devil's advocate]

I can already hear a similar statement coming from an RIAA lawyer on the day that Apple launches a feature such as you describe. Right now, the only way to "be sure" of conformity with the laws is to enforce the "buy twice" practice.

At this point, I would be perfectly happy to pay $0.99 to create my own ringtone in garageband, where the money goes into a slush fund that is distributed to the RIAA...or the poor...or AIDS research or something like that. I don't care, just give me my functionality!

Charities aside, the record companies would never be happy with a generic compensation system which didn't track specific artist/label sources and payees. Imagine how ugly it would get if say Madonna dropped a new single which EVERYONE decided to pay the 99 cents to use as a ringtone (and the money went into the slush fund). Then, Warner Bros would have to share the money with Universal, EMI, Virgin, etc. I can safely say that there is a better chance of Hilary Clinton and Monica Lewinsky teaming up to do porn, than have record companies profit share! :D

Craig

iDriveX
Sep 20, 2007, 01:56 PM
Stop making so much sense. You're killing my pipedreams of an ideal world in which people behave and don't abuse legitimate systems! ;)

noall666
Oct 12, 2007, 09:27 PM
Ok I have been doing this all day, I got it to work. I found a site with old i tunes versions, went back to 7.4 the change tag methods didnt work.... so I got the makeiphone ringtone from amobea... BUt i had to create aac files using itunes.... found some sites on instructions, i'll paste what i remeber but a few google searches and i ran across alot of old instructions, 7.4 and 7.4.1 .....just edit your audio...get it into i tunes.... in itunes turn the file into aac....then just find it in the folder in itunes and drag it to the ringtone maker....it worked...... need help . send me email... I will try my best..... now lets see if i can find these links....

http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/09/13/ringtonator-and-proper-ringtone-files/

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/posts/Article/MakeiPhoneRingtone-2007-09-13-15-00.html

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/07/simple-hackery-enables-free-itunes-ringtones/

http://www.rogueamoeba.com/freebies/

http://www.wired.com/software/coolapps/news/2007/09/ringtone_hacks

http://mac.oldapps.com/itunes.php

noall666@hotmail.com

brinked
May 21, 2008, 03:38 PM
man every time i try to do something new with my itunes it seems all my data gets lost...im such a noob but apple should make itones noob proof.