Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Shadowfax discovered how to restore custom ringtones (for free) in the latest version of iTunes 7.4.2 that was released. The newest iTunes apparently broke the previous iTunes hacks that allowed you to easily sync any AAC file as a Ringtone.

The workaround is simple, and simply involves combining the previous methods (file renaming, and ID3 tag changes).
You have to use that ID3 mod (Atomic Parsley), but use .m4r extensions. Once you change the STIK field to 14 using atomic parsley and change the extension from .m4a to .m4r, you can drag ringtones into your library again by hand

The ID3 mod was previously described which properly tags the AAC files as Ringtones. The M4R filetype also tells iTunes to place the ringtones into the proper location.

Due to the simplicity of the changes, it seems maybe Apple didn't maliciously break Ringtone support but simply solidified the format.

Article Link

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I <3 me some geekery. :D I have no intentions of putting my own custom ringtones (or buying any either) on my phone, but I love that the geeky Mac community comes out with "fixes" in no time. Hehe.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
When are Apple going to realise that we're a resourceful bunch and give up on this? Let those who don't know pay full whack and leave us lot alone? I hope we don't end up in a PSP situation where there is a ¨required¨ update every other day to get around piracy.

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Due to the simplicity of the changes, it seems maybe Apple didn't maliciously break Ringtone support but simply solidified the format.

Wouldn't that be something?! I'd love to see an end to all the back and forth play. I also find it interesting that iToner sticks through. That's a good record so far.

jsinger986

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2007
Its not about people who don't know or can't figure out how to do the hacks... its about people who just don't want to deal with the hassle of doing ringtones themselves. To these people, who probably only want 1 or 2 ringtones total, its worth the $1 per ringtone to just use the iTunes ringtone system to create the ringtone and download it.

Why go through the hassle of making your own ringtone by editing down a song with a third party app or Garageband, do whatever hackery is needed to make the file compliant and then sync it to your phone when you can do it all in iTunes in a matter of seconds. Its not just about the ringtone, its about the ease and simplicity.

I do my own ringtones because the songs I want aren't available on iTunes. But, for my girlfriend, I just told her to do it off iTunes because it would be a lot less hassle.

Jeff

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
That's not drag and drop. iToner is.

~not trying to start anything, just pointing out the *differences* to be fair.

Yes, but MakeiPhoneRingtone is, and I'm sure they will fix this in their free upgrade.

I've asked this in about six other posts, does iToner suvive all firmware updates? Just curious, because I agree with your previous post (or somebody's previous post) and I like the thought of prompt customer service/upgrades due to the fact that money changed hands.

MakeiPhoneRingtone is great, but I have a hunch even that will not be free for long. They will probably include it into fission (their sound editing software), which is unnecessary when you have garageband or even audacity. :(

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
Its high time they should just let us make ringtones in itunes.

That's not drag and drop. iToner is.
~not trying to start anything, just pointing out the *differences* to be fair.
Atomic Parsley is command line. This gives some folk the heebeejeebees.
To be fair to both methods, I think YOU have to realize that it IS drag-and-drop simple... but that you need to find someone to package it right just for you (like Rogue Amoeba for instance). You just have to find the person/company who's created a drag-n-drop version FOR you. The fact of the matter is... once you've created the ringtone using this method, you'll never need to fuss with anything but iTunes to manage your ringtones afterwards! While iToner "manages" your ringtones, this method "converts" your ringtone so that its "iTunes compatible". Being "compatible" means that you don't need a separate "sync" to get new ringtones and another one in a different program in order to grab your latest podcasts... its all in one program (iTunes). It also means you can e-mail a ringtone to your iPhone-toting pals, and they can sync that ringtone in iTunes too.

As much as I dig iToner, you really can't get much simpler than that, especially without costing you anything extra. To repeat, while you can Do-it-Yourself with Atomic Parsely and renaming the file to m4r, numerous... NUMEROUS people have created drag-n-drop scripts from this technique.

The great thing about iToner is NOT how simple it is to use (as other free programs have come around, just as simple, considering they work WITH iTunes, and not as an add-on environment), but that once you pay Ambrosia the $15, THEY will keep up with updates FOR you and all you need to do is launch iToner and choose "Check for Updates" from the menu. It's an "update crazy" time right now it seems. By paying for it, you get the support of a very good company, watching your back. :)

~ CB

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
Do you have to use the Atomic Parsley thing? Cuz that thing confuses me i never used that thing before i just changed the extension to m4r and then m4a when it was in the ringtones folder, what do i do exactly with this Atomic Parsley thing?

SilentCrs

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
I'm not entirely sure this workaround works. I tried the following with an m4a file:

1.) Changed the STIK field.
2.) Changed the file extension to m4r using Get Info.
3.) Dragged the file into iTunes.

Ok, great, it recognizes it on the Ringtone list. However, it doesn't show up on the Ringtone sync tab and when it gets to the point of copying the file iTunes complains that it won't work on the phone.

Next, I tried to change the file within the newly created Ringtones folder to m4a. Resynced. This time, it appeared to copy the file. But, it still doesn't appear on the Ringtones sync tab. Worse, it doesn't appear on the Ringtone list on the phone itself.

Unless I'm missing something obvious here, I think the people who came up with this "workaround" just saw the file show up on the Ringtone list and thought they were done. I can't seem to get files to copy to the phone AND be choosable on the phone's ringtone list.

Its high time they should just let us make ringtones in itunes.
It would seem Apple couldn't agree with you more:
http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Te...s_and_the_Complex_World_of_Copyright_Law.html

Remember when that video came out on YouTube, showing that Apple had integrated ringtones into iTunes, and then suddenly the feature never materialized after launch? You notice that after all that negotiation, Universal Music is entirely absent from iTunes ringtones selection? Yeah. It's not easy trying to create legal services that benefit consumers, while making your way through gobs of red tape. Just FYI.

~ CB

whistler72

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
Apple encourages us to "Think Different", but it's funny when their Wallet is concerned they want us to think like everyone else and use only the ringtones that they approve...

GRRR.

alep85

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2005
I changed the STIK value using Atomic Parsley, and it adds them to the Ringtone tab on the right side of iTunes, but they don't show up on the iPhone and don't show up in the Ringtones Sync option. Any ideas on what I'm missing?

EDIT: It's even COPYING them to the iPhone but they still aren't showing up on the iPhone sound options or on the Ringtones sync tab....HELP!

scotty588

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
This trick isn't working for me. I changed the value using atomic parsley while the file is .m4r then renamed to .m4a and dragged into the ringtones spot in iTunes. Doesn't show up and not syncing.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
I feel like such a noob... but can you give me some detailed instructions? Thanks!

Well, in theory,

the simplest way to do this is to download Atomic Parsley, and then open a Terminal window, and drag the file "AtomicParsley" in the folder that you download onto it. Then press space in the Terminal window, and go to Finder and find the file you want, and drag it onto the Terminal window. now hit the space bar again in the Terminal window, and add "--stik value=14" (no quotes of course) to the input. It ought to look like this:
Code:
/Users/[i]<yourname>[/i]/Desktop/AtomicParsley-MacOSX-0.9.0/AtomicParsley /Users/[i]<yourname>[/i]/Desktop/[i]<RingtoneName>[/i].m4a --stik value=14

After that, go to the folder where the ringtone you added was, and you should see a file that looks like this: <RingtoneName>-temp-66832.m4a . Note that the number will be random (I think). Rename this file to <RingtoneName>.m4r. Make sure you do this by right-clicking on it, selecting "Get Info..." and changing the name and extension under the "Name & Extension" tab of the Info window.

After you do that, you can add it to your library. That's the simplest I can make it...

Let me know if this works, if you try it. It works for me, but one other user has found it doesn't--he's on a G4, though, if that is of significance.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
This trick isn't working for me. I changed the value using atomic parsley while the file is .m4r then renamed to .m4a and dragged into the ringtones spot in iTunes. Doesn't show up and not syncing.
You need to add the .m4r version into iTunes. I hope that wasn't just a typo.

Can anyone else confirm this method? it works for me, but I haven't had anyone else try it and confirm it.

PBones

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
Tested with iPhone?

Shadowfax, have you tested this with an actual iPhone? The "stik then rename" technique works to add the file to the Library, and have it show up in the Ringtones sub-library.

However, the file does not appear in the Ringtones tab in iTunes, and of course, it doesn't sync over.

So, are you testing this with an iPhone, or just iTunes?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.