PDA

View Full Version : Should I Upgrade My G5 PPC To A Mac Pro?

DC LONDON
Sep 18, 2007, 02:59 PM
I have a 2.0ghz Dual Core PPC with 4.5GB SDRAM. It suits me fine for everything I am currently using it for; Audio and Graphic Design. But with the release of the Mac Pro and the upcoming Leopard I am wondering whether to upgrade or not while my G5 still has value in it. I wouldn't say I 'need' to upgrade at the minute but the longer I wait to upgrade to Intel the less my machine will be worth to sell on and the more I will have to pay to upgrade. How long will Apple support my type of machine? I cant imagine the base model Mac Pro (what I could realistically afford) being 'much' faster than what I am currently using but I want to keep up to date with new releases of programs in the future that I use, Adobe, Logic etc

On one hand I think sell while the G5 still has value, on the other I think I would only be upgrading for the sake of it and when the time comes to upgrade for 'speeds sake', I would just have to upgrade the Intel I bought anyway! Any advice would be warmly received!

HELP!

DC

jlanuez
Sep 18, 2007, 03:37 PM
On one hand I think sell while the G5 still has value, on the other I think I would only be upgrading for the sake of it and when the time comes to upgrade for 'speeds sake', I would just have to upgrade the Intel I bought anyway! Any advice would be warmly received!

I have a G5 Quad (with 30" ADC) and was thinking about the same thing, even considering the 24" iMac as an "upgrade". I think we will stick with what we got (also an older Mini with 20" ACD). I was checking ebay and there were a few machines like mine, but none were getting any bids!

Tracer
Sep 18, 2007, 03:45 PM
I've seen a lot of G5 Quad's on EBAY selling.

However they are heavily upgraded: 5GB + RAM, 500GB + HDD, etc and they sell for a fairly nice price.

Although at the moment they don't seem to be selling.

A month ago I saw a Quad go from $1200 to $2600 in the last hour of bidding.

Tracer

statikcat
Sep 18, 2007, 05:21 PM
Sell it now if you want any value. When the next Mac Pro revision comes out there will be a lot of current gen Mac Pro on ebay going for pretty cheap. Once current gen MP becomes next gen and cheap on ebay G5's will go down even further.