Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Announces iPhone in Germany

Apple has announced that they have partnered with T-Mobile to be the exclusive German carrier of the Apple iPhone.
"We're thrilled to be partnering with T-Mobile to bring the iPhone to Germany," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "Customer response to iPhone in the US has been incredible, and we can't wait to introduce T-Mobile customers to the most revolutionary mobile device on the planet."
The iPhone will go on sale on November 9th through Telekom Shops of Deutsche Telekom and the T-Mobile web shop. iPhone requires a new 2-year T-Mobile tariff and will be available in an 8GB model for €399 including V.A.T.

More information has been posted to t-mobile.de.

Article Link

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
so it seems November 9th is shaping up to be the the released date for all European countries getting the iPhone... would be nice if they announced Canada to receive the device on the same day... Christmas shopping season is quickly approaching... say it with me now... caaannnn - aaaaaaaa - dddaaaaaaaa.

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
Congrats!

Congrats to everyone getting the iPhone in their regions.
Now toss a little of that love to the Canucks!

bravedeer

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2006
Stop!

...saying that the update will come in Nov or Oct... Jobs said in the last event it's coming by the end of this month. ENOUGH ALREADY ;)

fastbite

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
London
The UK has moan, now the Germans are moaning and tomorrow the French will moan -- then we'll all go along to the Apple store on the 9th of November and buy the bloody thing. Great!!!

IHateUserNames

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2007
behind you
More details

Some details:

- press conference was held today in Berlin, Germany by Deutsche Telekom CEO and Steve Jobs

- iPhone will cost 399 Euros including tax, 2 year contract required

- tariff details will be announced just before November 9th

- every iPhone user will get free access to Deutsche Telekom's 8,000+ WiFi hotspots in Germany

- T-Mobile's EDGE coverage in Germany is near 100%

lofight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
I think i might be getting one in germany (or england wherever i am first) and make mine vodafone compatible

Remember that Steve said on tuesday 18th in a Q and A that they will be playing a cat and mouse game with stoping the people to unlock their iphones/./

Some details:

- press conference was held today in Berlin, Germany by Deutsche Telekom CEO and Steve Jobs

- iPhone will cost 399 Euros including tax, 2 year contract required

- tariff details will be announced just before November 9th

- every iPhone user will get free access to Deutsche Telekom's 8.000+ WiFi hotspots

Nice find, you found the extra info i found the basic info.

it's 8.600 to be exact in Germany

nja247

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
UK
so it seems November 9th is shaping up to be the the released date for all European countries getting the iPhone... would be nice if they announced Canada to receive the device on the same day... Christmas shopping season is quickly approaching... say it with me now... caaannnn - aaaaaaaa - dddaaaaaaaa.

I keep hearing about Canada, and I doubt it. I mean it's been "known" for sometime now via the rumour mill that T-Mobile Germany, o2 UK, France, etc would be announced. We've heard nadda about Canada. I don't think it's Apple, it's likely that they're unable to strike the sweet deals with mobile carriers which they've been able to do in the States and some EU countries.

Just buy one off eBay like I did and unlock it and be happy with firmware 1.0.2 until 1.1 is cracked. At least then you're not paying the Apple tax on your phone tariff. So what, no visual voicemail?

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
it's really not fair the prices, but remember the VAT it included and in America it isn't..

Yes, that's very important. My $49.99 old ATT plan ends up being at least $70 with various mandatory fees and surcharges.

bruk201ib

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
London, UK
no words about the tariffs?

i wonder when the iphone is going to be available in italy, the biggest mobile market in europe after germany. it's going to be tough for apple to meet find someone willing to spend that kind of money over there

lofight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
I'm not sure about this info but i read that iphone users with a t-mobile iphone can use 20.000 hotspots in and around Germany, and 8.600 of the 20.000 are in Germany.

blitzkrieg79

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2005
currently USA
it's really not fair the prices, but remember the VAT it included and in America it isn't..

Fair or not fair but all those conversion rates is only speculation, reality is that although Euro currency is valued higher than US Dollar, the buying power of US Dollar on US soil is higher than that of Euro on lets say a French soil (or pick your EU country here). 399 Euro (including VAT which is about 22% if I am not mistaking) gives a bare price of about $435 (excluding VAT). In US, $399 plus tax (in NJ sales tax is 7%) gives me about $427. I guess you gotta calculate the shipping costs to Europe but either way it just shows the real value of Euro and not the speculative rate, same thing with cars or actually most other goods (being electronic, clothing, or cosmetic just to name a few). Euro is overpriced.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
no words about the tariffs?

i wonder when the iphone is going to be available in italy, the biggest mobile market in europe after germany. it's going to be tough for apple to meet find someone willing to spend that kind of money over there

i don't know in Italy but here in Belgium you can't do "koppelverkoop" wich means selling a device with a data plan attached to it... so in Belgium can't sell an iphone with a Service provider they need to sell it without. And maybe therefore apple isn't going to bring an iphone in belgium soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.