PDA

View Full Version : NBC Direct to Offer TV Shows

MacRumors
Sep 19, 2007, 02:04 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

NBC announced (http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2007/09/19/nbc_com_to_offer_users_free_ad_supported) today that they will be launching a new service called "NBC Direct" which will allow users to download and view NBC's popular primetime shows to their desktops for free and watch them for up to one week after broadcast.

The first version of this software will launch in October for Windows PCs only, but "future versions" are said to add Mac compatibility.

At launch the shows will include "Heroes," "The Office," "Life," "Bionic Woman," "30 Rock," "Friday Night Lights," "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" and "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno."

In 2008, NBC plans to offer expanded sales options which could include download-to-own, rental and subscription models.

NBC recently withdrew (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/08/31/apple-to-stop-selling-nbc-television-shows/) from future iTunes distribution of their television shows due to a contract dispute with Apple.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/19/nbc-direct-to-offer-tv-shows/)

levitynyc
Sep 19, 2007, 02:06 PM
WTF? Why aren't macs supported?!!!!

killmoms
Sep 19, 2007, 02:06 PM
Let's all take bets, see how long it takes NBC to realize they were making more money selling through iTunes (the most popular music and video download store ever) than from advertisers on this service that no one will use.

plumbingandtech
Sep 19, 2007, 02:08 PM

Prob. because they are using POS Windows Media.

Expect a solution once Microsoft Silverlight ships well enough to handle the video.

This is what netflix has said I think the case will be the same here.

Stupid NBC.

NightStorm
This is the dumbest idea ever and a step backwards for Internet distribution.

SoldOutMatinee
30 Rock love.

johnmcboston
Sep 19, 2007, 02:09 PM
I don't get the "one week after broadcast". Why not expire them one week after download? This effectively means you can never 'catch up' on a season, only watch something within 6 days of missing it. Pretty much useless.

Neuroguy
Sep 19, 2007, 02:10 PM
So...

They would rather make nothing on their shows? Oh wait, advertising revenue. You can guarantee that this new "free" service will have commercials and no way to skip them. Thanks. Just what I wanted... the need to fire up my piece of crap PC and then watch commercials.

NBC is DUM!

Neuroguy

plumbingandtech
30 Rock love.

I was buying each ep. for my iphone until NBC announce their withdrawal.

Now I am just going to TiVo it.

Sandfleaz
Hmmm ...let me get this straight, they're going to offer them for free this year, then change the model in 08 and start charging?

Brilliant marketing plan! (sarcasm intended)

xnu
Sep 19, 2007, 02:11 PM
Amazon must be happy.

SoldOutMatinee
Sep 19, 2007, 02:11 PM
damn, y'all complain way too much.

kbrain2929
Sep 19, 2007, 02:13 PM
I have a feeling that someone is mad @ Apple! :eek: Who can be mad @ Apple!!! I'm at a loss! :apple:

jeremy.king
Sep 19, 2007, 02:14 PM
Its a stop gap until they get some other plan for episode sales.

NBC is simply timeshifting for us? Whoopdy Frickin Do! This is what my Tivo does for me.

I guess if I watched NBC, its good to know these are free, albeit ad-supported...:(

Peace
Sep 19, 2007, 02:14 PM
Amazon must be happy.

LOL.. Quote of the day!!.

Me thinks NBC already saw the lack of revenue flow from Amazon and decided to go to plan B.

NewSc2
Sep 19, 2007, 02:15 PM
Why are you all complaining? NBC wants to offer it for free now. There's no indication that next year they'll stop offering it for free, but they will probably add a download-to-own feature.

For all we know this could've been what NBC and Apple couldn't agree on.

Chaszmyr
Sep 19, 2007, 02:16 PM
LOL.. Quote of the day!!.

Me thinks NBC already saw the lack of revenue flow from Amazon and decided to go to plan B.

Correction, they've moved on to Plan C. Let's hope after Plan C fails as miserably as Plan B they will move on back to Plan A.

TheIguana
Sep 19, 2007, 02:18 PM
Interesting how NBC is willing to let you time shift shows via your computer up to a week for free. But if you want to be able to watch it any time after that point they want you to pay them $4.99 an episode (ergo the Apple dispute). NBC, you cease to amaze me! It's just like how can you seriously be surprised that people just go and download the content by legally dubious sources, rather than going through all that.

Iggy :)

Peace
Sep 19, 2007, 02:19 PM
Correction, they've moved on to Plan C. Let's hope after Plan C fails as miserably as Plan B they will move on back to Plan A.

I really don't care what kind of plan they have.Personally,if I want to watch a TV show I've already seen I just hit record ;)

jeremy.king
Why are you all complaining?

1. The six day rule.
2. No way to purchase episodes until further notice.
3. No mac support (or iPods?)

Edit: Nightstorm covered it too.

NightStorm
Why are you all complaining? NBC wants to offer it for free now. There's no indication that next year they'll stop offering it for free, but they will probably add a download-to-own feature.

Because whatever system they finally go with will likely be a) incompatible with macs, b) incompatible with AppleTV, and c) incompatible with iPods/iPhones. It's sad that NBC was one of the first to buy into TV shows in the iTMS and now we're at this point...

mmzplanet
Sep 19, 2007, 02:20 PM
Handbrake and NBC...... Have you met?

I'll just keep making my own from DVDs. Not only do I have a nice DVD to watch it from.... I get a copy for iTunes to use on my AppleTV or iPod too.

The best part... still no advertising to deal with!!!

:apple: does not need you.

For that matter I still have my DVR too.

flopticalcube
Sep 19, 2007, 02:20 PM
Amazon must be happy.

demonoid too. ;)

boxlight
Sep 19, 2007, 02:23 PM
Sorry to sound like an Apple fanboy, but NBC *DOES NOT GET IT* and Apple does.

NBC wants me to use their crappy video player and watch their videos seeded with many of those long boring web commercials. I do not watch TV on the network's web site, I watch TV on my *TV*.

Since people can't buy then via iTunes, people will download them. And NBC will get zilch. No $1.99 per episode, no ad revenue, no nothing. NBC better wake up and realize that their web site holds no appeal to TV viewers.

omahajim
Sep 19, 2007, 02:23 PM
You know, who really needs the crap on "mainstream" TV? I spend my 20 bucks a month on iTunes to get my Stewart/Colbert fix, and the rest is crap. Yeah, I bought a few NBC episdoes here and there, but I certainly will NOT partake in this new 'service'.

I decide WHEN and WHERE I want to watch something. Screw NBC and their misguided ignorant restrictions and format.

dparri526
Sep 19, 2007, 02:24 PM
demonoid too. ;)

I was willing to pay. Not anymore!!!:eek:

iSee
Sep 19, 2007, 02:26 PM
"It's better than nothing!"

I think this will work OK for me, if it's not poorly implemented. I can generally watch a show within one week of its broadcast but I often can't watch a show at the exact time of broadcast.

(I had been using iTunes for the occasional Heroes, 30 Rock, and The Office.)

I think they will lose money badly, though, even for people like me. For example, I did not watch 30 Rock initially. From the previews it seemed crappy to me. But then my wife and I caught an episode, liked it, caught another one, liked it more, and then purchased the ten episodes we previously missed.

But I'm not buying anything that will only work in a Windows-only, NBC-only player. It's just not going to happen.

gkarris
Sep 19, 2007, 02:31 PM
"It's better than nothing!"

I think this will work OK for me, if it's not poorly implemented. I can generally watch a show within one week of its broadcast but I often can't watch a show at the exact time of broadcast.

(I had been using iTunes for the occasional Heroes, 30 Rock, and The Office.).

You mean I can watch NBC/Universal on my little 14" laptop PC instead of my 60" front projection Home Theater? I'm there! (rolls eyes...)

studiomusic
Sep 19, 2007, 02:31 PM
You could watch past episodes for free (with advertising) on NBC.com anyways... what's new?
I guess they were streaming before, now you can download them for a week....

NBC Exec:"Hey, let's throw away a bunch of money we're getting from Apple so we can try to retain our outdated funding sources!"
Other NBC Exec:"For the TV shows we already made a profit from? BRILLIANT!"
NBC BigBoss:"Here's your bonuses. You just lost us a lot of free money. Fabulous!"
:eek:

NewSc2
Sep 19, 2007, 02:33 PM
Because whatever system they finally go with will likely be a) incompatible with macs, b) incompatible with AppleTV, and c) incompatible with iPods/iPhones. It's sad that NBC was one of the first to buy into TV shows in the iTMS and now we're at this point...

Well, it's complaining twice about something that was already announced. NBC rescinded their offer from iTunes, because they wanted to "charge more" (or so they said at the time). Now we can all watch from the comfort of our computers, and I'm sure they'll come out with ways to directly rip those.

No Mac compatibility is a downer but they say they'll come out with Mac support soon. We all had thought that NBC was going to sell their own shows, at least offering them for free is a gift. Who knows, maybe this will start a trend... I'd like to see shows on YouTube posted for 1 week after they are released.

synth3tik
Sep 19, 2007, 02:33 PM
NBC can wither away like the weak network it is.

NewSc2
Sep 19, 2007, 02:35 PM
You mean I can watch NBC/Universal on my little 14" laptop PC instead of my 60" front projection Home Theater? I'm there! (rolls eyes...)

I can't recall the last time I watched a TV show or DVD on my 40" LCD. It still does get good dose of MLB, football, and Sportscenter, though.

Get with the times :)

Passante
Sep 19, 2007, 02:35 PM
You know, who really needs the crap on "mainstream" TV? I spend my 20 bucks a month on iTunes to get my Stewart/Colbert fix, and the rest is crap. Yeah, I bought a few NBC episdoes here and there, but I certainly will NOT partake in this new 'service'.

I decide WHEN and WHERE I want to watch something. Screw NBC and their misguided ignorant restrictions and format.
For the cost of a year's worth of itunes purchases you can get an eyeTV and record them (if you have an extra computer at home). I do this for all the TV I want to watch.

weitzner
Sep 19, 2007, 02:36 PM
The reason to complain is that the DRM they are going with is even more restrictive than Apple's. Lame.

JPark
Sep 19, 2007, 02:37 PM
Prob. because they are using POS Windows Media.

In the original article, it sounds more like they are using their own downloadable media player. They also state that future versions will allow purchasing/renting (the current model is ad supported) and will be mac compatible.

GoinDownSlow
Sep 19, 2007, 02:39 PM
With all due respect to Stewart and Colbert, what's keeping me glued to Comedy Central is the hour before their shows. I've recently been smitten by Scrubs (in syndication on Comedy Central), and I think it's the best show on TV. A real shame that not all past episodes are available on iTunes, and the new ones won't be once NBC pulls out.

That, and this season is its last.

JPark
Sep 19, 2007, 02:40 PM

I'm not complaining, but it's only sort of free this year. It's ad supported, just like their online streaming solution at nbc.com right now.

Peace
Sep 19, 2007, 02:41 PM
Well, it's complaining twice about something that was already announced. NBC rescinded their offer from iTunes, because they wanted to "charge more" (or so they said at the time). Now we can all watch from the comfort of our computers, and I'm sure they'll come out with ways to directly rip those.

No Mac compatibility is a downer but they say they'll come out with Mac support soon. We all had thought that NBC was going to sell their own shows, at least offering them for free is a gift. Who knows, maybe this will start a trend... I'd like to see shows on YouTube posted for 1 week after they are released.

NBC's original excuse was it wanted more "flexibility" in packaging their TV offerings.Like offering different TV shows in one package.That was their "original" excuse.A week later they announced they would partner with Amazon on pay-for-downloads for their shows.
Now..:rolleyes:
They have decided to offer the free downloads for a week using DRM and I'm assuming it's MS DRM since the player won't be Mac compatible.

These shows will include the original commercials in them.
From this I'm getting the idea it's the advertisers complaining that their commercials aren't being shown in the Show's that were offered up on iTunes and Amazon..

I believe we can blame more than NBC here.We should include the Ad agencies in this cluster***.

The funny part is if they want to "add" Mac's later they have to license Apple's DRM too..

Feel free to apply for President and CEO of GE anytime.

balamw
In the original article, it sounds more like they are using their own downloadable media player. They also state that future versions will allow purchasing/renting (the current model is ad supported) and will be mac compatible.

The description of their software also includes this gem:

The downloadable player will also have filtering technology, which will prevent it from playing any stolen copyrighted material.

B

CJD2112
Besides "30 Rock" and "Heroes" (neither of which I watch) and occasionally Law and Order: SVU, I couldn't care less about NBC. They screwed the pooch when they bailed on iTunes, they're third in the big three primetime networks in ratings and with their crappy Fall line-up doesn't appear that will change any time soon. Poor schmucks.

I believe we can blame more than NBC here.We should include the Ad agencies in this cluster***.

AMEN. I HATE commercials. A few weeks ago I took out a few old BetaMax and VHS tapes to convert into digital media, and I was amazed that back in the 80's most shows ran 50 min's (any one remember "Mad Headroom"? I watched the pilot on tape, miss that show). Now most shows run any where from 38-40 min's, which means the average viewer spends a third of their time watching mindless ads telling us to "BUY! BUY! BUY!". It's disgusting. I'd rather pay the $1.99 to avoid being brainwashed by advertisers. God bless the free market. :rolleyes:

dparri526
Sep 19, 2007, 02:45 PM
For the cost of a year's worth of itunes purchases you can get an eyeTV and record them (if you have an extra computer at home). I do this for all the TV I want to watch.

Only if you can get an over the air signal. :confused:

jellomizer
Sep 19, 2007, 02:46 PM
Remember NBC is owned by GE.
GE is one of the worst companies you can deal with, they have no foresite they are so cutthought that they will only make decisions that effect the sorterm or this quarters quota. Anything that looks like a loss of profit is killed even though it may have a greater growth posiblilty. All policy no real brains in the organization.

Yebot
Sep 19, 2007, 02:47 PM
NBC obviously doesn't get it.

No one is going to buy their crap.

The Office on torrent.

Bye bye

JPark
Sep 19, 2007, 02:49 PM
NBC could learn from ABC's example. I watched Lost last season, but I get poor reception where I live and I was often out of the house when it aired. Rather than record it (with a VCR no less) I would just hop on to ABC.com and watch it there. The video quality was excellent, they allowed you to watch the previous 5 episodes, and they only interrupted the hour long show with a total of a minute and a half of commercials (3 breaks of 30 seconds). For those that wanted to buy it/watch it on their iPods/whatever, they also offered it through iTunes. The best part was watching the season finale: 1 hr 40 minutes with no commercial breaks the last 40 minutes.

I tried doing this with Heroes on NBC on the other hand and was constantly frustrated with the poor quality and the frequent and haphazardly-placed commercials. The season finale lost all excitement when it cut out right in the middle of a fight scene to go to commercial--twice! I really couldn't understand why people liked Heroes until I realized that NBC's less than optimal showing of it probably ruined the experience for me.

nagromme
I don't get the "one week after broadcast". Why not expire them one week after download? This effectively means you can never 'catch up' on a season, only watch something within 6 days of missing it. Pretty much useless.

If true, that's pure insanity and HURTS shows on the air. Miss an episode? Would NBC rather you stop watching, or catch up? Miss half a season? Would NBC rather you skip it, or listen to friends' recommendations and catch up?

Anyway--no Mac support and no Battlestar Galactica, so it's useless to me on every level.

Peace
Only if you can get an over the air signal. :confused:

With the Elgato Hybrid you can buy an over the air High Definition antenna for $25 and record High Def for free.Almost ALL local stations now have free over the air High Def programming.

gkarris
NBC can wither away like the weak network it is.

Not until we get at least 3 more seasons of "Flash Gordon" on the Sci-Fi Channel!!!

the Otter
Sep 19, 2007, 02:50 PM
NBC hasn’t had a decent show in years; the network that once promoted itself as “family-friendly” is now all about how many “G** d***”s and steamy backlit sex scenes they can force on its unsuspecting viewers. I’m not going to lie; Heroes sounds like a great concept. Unfortunately, I haven’t watched an NBC show in several years, and I don’t plan on starting it up again.

À la carte cable can’t come too soon, so I can get their lousy network out of my home altogether. Between their lousy content and their recent decisions, I say “Start caring about your prospective viewers or they’ll all stop caring about you!”

Just my 2¢….

nagromme
Sep 19, 2007, 02:51 PM
With the Elgato Hybrid you can buy an over the air High Definition antenna for $25 and record High Def for free.Almost ALL local stations now have free over the air High Def programming.

Yep, with easy ad-skipping and GREAT quality. I love my EyeTV Hyrbid! It even outputs to iPod/iPhone automatically.

I highly recommend the Philips PHDTV3 indoor antenna. Cheap, and the reviews are true: it picks up signals others can't.

NBC could learn from ABC's example. I watched Lost last season, but I get poor reception where I live and I was often out of the house when it aired. Rather than record it (with a VCR no less) I would just hop on to ABC.com and watch it there. The video quality was excellent, they allowed you to watch the previous 5 episodes, and they only interrupted the hour long show with a total of a minute and a half of commercials (3 breaks of 30 seconds).

That's exactly how I watch Lost. ABC's high-quality option is just about DVD resolution, and the ads pause when the show is ready to resume, so you can easily walk away and then come back and unpause.

spazzcat
Sep 19, 2007, 02:51 PM
Why it is so hard for them to figure out people don't want to watch TV shows on their computer :confused:

Gherkin
Sep 19, 2007, 02:52 PM
This may be bad for iTunes, but it really doesn't seem like it will be bad for the consumer. Free viewing for a week after air date, and future plans to buy content. Unless it costs more than iTunes or has some insanely restrictive DRM not allowing play on an iPod, I don't see any problem with a network distributing their own shows and I'm surprised it took them this long to do it.

Didn't NBC just announce their shows would be available from a different content provider after breaking with iTunes though?

pgwalsh
Sep 19, 2007, 02:52 PM
I'm so glad I don't watch enough TV to be sucked into any show and then get caught up in purchasing them online. That's not to say there aren't times when I would like to see something, but it's usually a special like "Blue Planet."

When I heard the rumor that Apple would like to decrease the cost to the customer, I thought it was the right thing to do. I have no idea if that's happened or not. Also, I don't see where it makes financial sense for NBC to create their own distribution model when they can use someone else's more established method; regardless if it's Apple or someone else. If I were a network executive, I'd want to get my shows in as many channels as possible in order to get as much exposure as possible.

Doctor Q
Sep 19, 2007, 02:56 PM
Just curious what people think about whether NBC could or might also have their shows in iTunes if they reconsider (or if Apple decides to compromise on the terms).

Would having them in iTunes let them earn more revenue, from having more ways that consumers could get the shows, or would it hurt revenue by interfering with NBC Direct? Would anything in an iTunes contract prevent them from being in iTunes while also running NBC Direct?

JPark
Why it is so hard for them to figure out people don't want to watch TV shows on their computer :confused:

I watch them on my computer more often than my tv--it's much more portable.

flopticalcube

For the same reason music execs haven't figured out that people don't want to carry CD players around. They are greedy morons. :)

gkarris
Sep 19, 2007, 02:59 PM
I watch them on my computer more often than my tv--it's much more portable.

The question here is distribution. iTunes which covers Macs, PCs, iPods, iPhones, :apple:TV, or NBCDirect.com which only covers PCs running Windows...

mihiruthere93
Sep 19, 2007, 03:01 PM

I beg to differ. Plenty of people who didn't TiVo the episode or those who just want to watch a past episode (not referring to this damn NBC thing) just pay the $1.99 and enjoy the episode... unless youre talking 24 here. then u need a good old 65" Plasma with surround sound :D

only good show on NBC right now is 30 Rock... glad Seinfeld is back!

slffl
Sep 19, 2007, 03:02 PM
Laaa hoooo... saaaa heeerrs

Why not sell your crap on iTunes AND sell it other places? To pull out all together is idiotic and NBC deserves all of the bad publicity and piracy this creates.

iDAG
Sep 19, 2007, 03:04 PM
It's funny how everyone and their mom thinks that they can take down iTunes. There is no way that is going to happen anytime soon. Apple is currently doing nothing wrong with iTunes/iPod. Microsoft is the giant of computers and because of the mess known as Vista people are looking at alternatives like the Mac. Apple may be the giant of online content but again they are not messing anything up. iTunes will not fall because NBC withdrew from iTunes and is doing their own thing. We got along without them for years so why do we need them now?

ebouwman
Sep 19, 2007, 03:05 PM

The point would be so that you can't watch the entire season without buying it, at least thats my guess, it's not neccesarily a stupid idea in my opinion(although i would rather it was a week from download just like you)

ajhill
Sep 19, 2007, 03:06 PM
Let's face it. Many of us spend most of the work day sitting in front of computers and the last thing we want to do to relax is to sit in front of yet another computer to watch a tv show. Couches and big screens are the future (or present).

NBC is just a shadow of it's former self. Remember great shows like Cheers, ER (about a decade ago). Law and Order before there were half a dozen off shoots. SNL 20+ years ago when it was actually funny?

The Emmys were just announced and the SNL skit "D*ck in a Box" received a Technical Emmy. Must have been for the way that they got the boxes to "stay up" if you know what I mean.

This is all the proof you need to see that Broadcast TV is last Century's technology. Be thankful that one day great entertainment will be available over the internet and companies like GE/NBC will be only mentioned in museums.

MikeTheC
I'd love to say "Well, that's it, I will no longer watch NBC. F--- them.", however, as I already don't watch NBC or any other channel, it's a little bit hard for me to more not-watch NBC than I already am.

The only way this interests me is tangentially inasmuch as Microsoft gets to soak up any further market share or presence in the entertainment industry. Beyond that, well... if the society I live in doesn't have the intelligence, wisdom, or intestinal fortitude to put a halt to it, then as far as I'm concerned, my fellow Americans deserve exactly what they get.

Just my 2¢.

alansky
NBC = National ************ Consolidators

TLewis
Sep 19, 2007, 03:11 PM
This may be bad for iTunes, but it really doesn't seem like it will be bad for the consumer. Free viewing for a week after air date, and future plans to buy content. Unless it costs more than iTunes or has some insanely restrictive DRM not allowing play on an iPod, I don't see any problem with a network distributing their own shows and I'm surprised it took them this long to do it.

If your assumptions were true, a lot less people would be complaining here.

However:

NBC insists on DRM.
The only way to put DRM-protected content on an iPod is via iTunes.

Now do you see the picture?

bgold
Sep 19, 2007, 03:12 PM
For the record, I have ALWAYS paid for my Office downloads until now. I don't want to watch them the week they air, I want to watch them whenever I want. Plus I don't have a PC.

Now I'm just going to have to pirate the shows like everyone else. The quality won't be as good, and it's gunna be a pain in the ass to get them onto my iPod.

NBC, you're an idiot.

RichP
Sep 19, 2007, 03:12 PM
The Emmys were just announced and the SNL skit "D*ck in a Box" received a Technical Emmy. Must have been for the way that they got the boxes to "stay up" if you know what I mean.

That skit was the only funny thing SNL has put out in at least the past 5 years. Part of the allure to downloading shows is to either watch them on a TV later, OR watch them on the go. Apple covers both, appleTV and ipod/iphone. TiVo can timeshift and record for later useage.

This will be another mess, and I say coming from a business perspective, not as an Apple user. iPod/iPhone/iTunes all work, and can stand stronger than illegal downloads and other services, because it is so darn simple to find what you want, and play it where you want.

Stridder44
Sep 19, 2007, 03:15 PM
With all due respect to Stewart and Colbert, what's keeping me glued to Comedy Central is the hour before their shows. I've recently been smitten by Scrubs (in syndication on Comedy Central), and I think it's the best show on TV. A real shame that not all past episodes are available on iTunes, and the new ones won't be once NBC pulls out.

That, and this season is its last.

I have some friends. There names are Tivo, Torrent, WatchitonNBC.com, Rerun, and DVD. You should meet them, particularly Torrent. He's a great guy I think you'll like him.

JMax1
I dunno, I think it was a smart move on NBC. Bad for us, because it's ::gasp:: taking away from apple! But doing their own service drives users ONLY their way and they don't have to share. They have full control, and are probably making more $$ off advertisements than they were selling the shows. I would rather watch it free on the NBC site than pay 1.99 for it. I don't care about keeping it. My biggest concern is watching 30rock and the office (and scrubs!!!) because Smallville is on at the same time... so someone is gonna win each week for my viewing pleasure. With it free online I win both! Watch smallville on TV and then the others online.

princealfie
For the record, I have ALWAYS paid for my Office downloads until now. I don't want to watch them the week they air, I want to watch them whenever I want. Plus I don't have a PC.

Now I'm just going to have to pirate the shows like everyone else. The quality won't be as good, and it's gunna be a pain in the ass to get them onto my iPod.

NBC, you're an idiot.

agreed... either that or rip the season dvd's.

BKF
What's interesting is this:

"Future versions of "NBC Direct," which will roll out over the next several months, will provide expanded platform functionality and will allow DRM ("digital rights management") protected versions of its programs to be downloaded to Macs and portable devices in addition to PCs."

If NBC bows to the ubiquity of the iPod and allows these files to be dragged into iTunes, then this could be more or less good news for Apple, as it will continue to drive sales of newer, larger capacity iPods, which is the whole point (or 90% of the point) of iTunes, anyway.

dmelgar
Sep 19, 2007, 03:16 PM
I think this is a good move. This is the most likely approach to succeed. Apple is not setup to take allow the natural TV viewing model. This it the way we watch TV today. We don't pay for it (unless you count cable), and you end up having commercials. Why should it be different online.
iTunes and AppleTV don't support this model. Apple needs to do something to easily support this, at least allow AppleTV and iPods to work with something like this.
Apple should strive to be the gateway service for all media outlets. Instead its a bottleneck. Steve is fighting a losing battle if he thinks he's going to change the way this works.
I have never and will like never pay to watch a TV show that I can view for free when broadcast, even though it has commercials.

My only complaint is that they don't support Macs. ABC has a similar service which does support Macs and even supports highdef. Its great, although i don't like any of the shows offered.

mac 2005
Sep 19, 2007, 03:17 PM
Good to see the full catalog available online. ABC has been doing it for a couple of seasons now, and it helps to catch the shows I miss. I'm sure my situation isn't unique: I have a PC at work and a Mac at home, so the platform doesn't bother me. Access is what's important to me, and I appreciate the folks at NBC for making the programs available online.

Maclicious
Sep 19, 2007, 03:17 PM

Reason for complaint: because NBC won't support macs at launch, and in fact, isn't supporting macs now with its Amazon solution. What a crock. They're asking mac users to forego legal download and look for torrents, I guess.

stevesidea
Sep 19, 2007, 03:18 PM
why not still have them at iTunes as well.

I like to watch TV, not just NBC. Don't make me go to two or three or 10 places to get TV. When I buy books I go to Barnes And Noble or Amazon.com, I don't go to Simon And Schuster and Penguin and Random House... c'mon NBC. Don't hide your stuff.

dmelgar
Sep 19, 2007, 03:21 PM
I will make the passing comment that regardless of what NBC does, things like Miro and tvrss.net are the wave of the future and allow you to download shows for free (not necessarily legally). And not just from the big three networks. There are thousands of video production sites, otherwise known as channels available on the web. AppleTV needs better integration with ways to get video from the internet. AppleTV is so restrictive today that its worthless. Thats why I plan to get a Mini when Leopard comes out. The Mini can run Miro or whatever tomorrows video download and viewing program is called.

slu
Sep 19, 2007, 03:26 PM
What's interesting is this:

"Future versions of "NBC Direct," which will roll out over the next several months, will provide expanded platform functionality and will allow DRM ("digital rights management") protected versions of its programs to be downloaded to Macs and portable devices in addition to PCs."

If NBC bows to the ubiquity of the iPod and allows these files to be dragged into iTunes, then this could be more or less good news for Apple, as it will continue to drive sales of newer, larger capacity iPods, which is the whole point (or 90% of the point) of iTunes, anyway.

I would agree with this, but Apple will not license Fairplay to NBC, so unless they use no DRM (not a chance in Hell) or reverse engineer Fairplay (see how well Real's Harmony did), iPod users lose (even those with PCs). I guess the 15 people that own a Zune will be glad though.

If this is using Microsoft Silverlight technology as rumored, while it may be Mac compatible eventually, it will never be PPC Mac compatible, leaving users like me out in cold. I have no PC, a G5 iMac, and an iPod...how will I consume NBC content?

I understand NBC not wanting to bend to every Apple demand, but as other's have said, they could have done this AND kept content on iTunes. Hell, they could have put the content on iTunes after this 6 day period ends.

shov
Sep 19, 2007, 03:35 PM
This sounds much like what Channel 4 and the BBC are doing in the UK with their 4od and iPlayer services. Both use Kontiki (P2P thingy) and WMP, so only work on Windows. For both systems you can download shows for free up to seven days after they broadcast and then can watch them for about 30 days after that before the DRM kicks in. You can also stream them live, which makes more sense than waiting an hour for a show to download off iTunes. As far as I'm aware they've been quite successful (think iPlayer is only in beta though). BBC don't do ads, but the Channel 4 one is ad supported, and they only put one at the start of each download.

I'm much happier watching shows like this through Parallels/Bootcamp than I would be downloading them off itunes for £1.99.

I also think it makes good business sense for NBC too. It cuts out the middleman, and the Kontiki model allows for flexible pricing. All NBC have to do is license the software. I think more people are likely to watch shows this way when they can be live streamed as well.

Why all the complaints? Free shows vs. ones you pay for, both at (I'm assuming) the same bit rate. Step out the RDF.

crackermac
Sep 19, 2007, 03:35 PM
If I can't get it through iTunes, then I'm just going to get it on a torrent or Tivo it and rip it. iTunes just makes everything so easy. So, NBC or anyone else thinking of leaving iTunes and their millions of customers, this is a bad idea.

Object-X
Sep 19, 2007, 03:37 PM
People who make me use Windows are evil.

Peace
Sep 19, 2007, 03:39 PM
Why all the complaints? Free shows vs. ones you pay for, both at (I'm assuming) the same bit rate. Step out the RDF.

The "free shows aren't actually free because you have to go through the commercials.
The ones I pay for don't have those commercials and imho m4v h.264 is way better than wmv in ANY format.

LethalWolfe
Sep 19, 2007, 03:40 PM
This is all the proof you need to see that Broadcast TV is last Century's technology. Be thankful that one day great entertainment will be available over the internet and companies like GE/NBC will be only mentioned in museums.
Great entertainment like "Leave Britney Alone" or "Diet Coke + Mentos"? ;)

As long as it takes money to produce and market TV shows, movies, music, books, etc., big companies will be involved because they have money.

Lethal

LordJohnWhorfin
Sep 19, 2007, 03:44 PM
If they don't make it available on iTunes and don't make it available on the Mac, what other choice do I have but to get it from BitTorrent or eMule? What a bunch of losers.

shov
Sep 19, 2007, 03:46 PM
peace said:

"The "free shows aren't actually free because you have to go through the commercials."

fair enough on the format, and I don't know how NBC will implement this, but on the UK services you have one advert at the start of the show and that's it. You've barely sat down before the advert's over. ...Although american TV seems to have a lot more adverts than British TV, so it might well be worth paying the money!

slu
Sep 19, 2007, 03:47 PM

I complain because I want to watch on my iPod, which will not be possible. Don't get me wrong, this is Apple's fault as well, but I don't care who's responsible. The bottom line is that I used to be able to watch the Office on my iPod and it was legal, very easy, and took no time. Now I will have to torrent it and convert it to an iPod format (which is illegal and time consuming) or buy a DVD, rip it, and convert it to an iPod format (which has questionable legality and is VERY time consuming).

And those of use without intel Macs are completely shut out. And my Mac is just about 3 years old, so it is not ancient by any means.

Or what about the people with intel Macs that don't want to pay for a copy of Windows and Parallels if they don't need it for anything else.

Peace
Sep 19, 2007, 03:49 PM
I complain because I want to watch on my iPod, which will not be possible. Don't get me wrong, this is Apple's fault as well, but I don't care who's responsible. The bottom line is that I used to be able to watch the Office on my iPod and it was legal, very easy, and took no time. Now I will have to torrent it and convert it to an iPod format (which is illegal and time consuming) or buy a DVD, rip it, and convert it to an iPod format (which has questionable legality and is VERY time consuming).

And those of use without intel Macs are completely shut out. And my Mac is just about 3 years old, so it is not ancient by any means.

Or what about the people with intel Macs that don't want to pay for a copy of Windows and Parallels if they don't need it for anything else.

With all due respect you are going to have to bite the bullet one day and go Intel.That's the present and future of Macs.

gdevitry
Sep 19, 2007, 03:52 PM

I guess we are forgetting the online viewing that was offered last year? It was clunky but worked. Of course there were ads....

bpd115
Sep 19, 2007, 03:53 PM
I will now simply set my eyeTV to record whatever, edit out the commercials myself, and then export to AppleTV.

bit more work, but free and portable.

slu
Sep 19, 2007, 04:03 PM
With all due respect you are going to have to bite the bullet one day and go Intel.That's the present and future of Macs.

I agree that I will need to go intel, but my machine is not that old and is still very usable for everything I use it for (photos, video editing, and garageband), and NBC TV shows are something I can live without...but it does bother me when I can't do something I could do before and it is not a hardware limitation that prevents it.

It is not like I am asking to be able to play the latest and greatest games at max settings on my G5.

Well, that and I can't afford a new Mac right now! But seriously, if I had bought a PowerMac instead of this iMac 3 years ago I wouldn't even consider upgrading for a few years.

And while I can't back this up at all, I'd bet the installed base of PPC Macs is still greater than that of intel Macs.

iSee
Sep 19, 2007, 04:11 PM

Erm, I don't usually post what my wife and I do in our bed on the Internet :eek:, but we've actually gotten quite used to watching stuff on my MBP propped up on a pillow in bed. She likes any kind of sci-fi/comic book/etc. stuff because it instantly puts her into a deep, peaceful sleep, and I actually just like sci-fi/comic book/etc stuff.

We really should never have gotten the 46" wide-screen--it gets so little use.

Unspeaked
Sep 19, 2007, 04:12 PM
And while I can't back this up at all, I'd bet the installed base of PPC Macs is still greater than that of intel Macs.

By miles and miles...

gkarris
Sep 19, 2007, 04:13 PM
We really should never have gotten the 46" wide-screen--it gets so little use.

Viewing habits. I prefer my home theater. NBC prefers everyone use a Windows computer...

Hairball
Sep 19, 2007, 04:13 PM

My thoughts exactly.

NBC really stuck it to Apple, didn't they. In the meantime, they are betting on the fact that ad revenue will be more than $ they receive from Apple/iTunes. I like a few of the shows mentioned in the press release, but personally I want to see NBC fail in this venture.

dparri526
Sep 19, 2007, 04:19 PM

I tried this and was not able to get a decent signal where I live. I use Dish Network now. I don't see anyway of using EyeTV.:(

acslater017
Sep 19, 2007, 04:22 PM
The bright side:

1) They're offering free better-than-streaming downloads immediately after the broadcast.

2) Though the details are vague, the article says future versions will support Macs as well as "portable devices". Even NBC isn't stupid enough to not be compatible with the 100 million+ iPods out there. (right...?)

3) High-res option will later be available, via P2P. In addition to purchasing, rental and subscriptions will be available.

Assuming this is compatible with OS X and iPod (see #2), this isn't such a bad deal. Now, I'd like to keep the current iTunes system as much as the next person, but I understand NBC has to look out for its own interests. The addition of all these new formats is probably where Apple and NBC disagreed.

My only real concern is, does anyone really want to have a different program/system/bill for each network? Come 2008, will I have to download NBCDirect, ABCDirect, etc. and learn all their different prices and rules? To me, this consolidation and simplification is the greatest advantage of iTunes. Knowing this is probably why Apple was so unwilling to offer NBC different options. Allegedly.

artalliance
Sep 19, 2007, 04:24 PM
I can't recall the last time I watched a TV show or DVD on my 40" LCD. It still does get good dose of MLB, football, and Sportscenter, though.

Get with the times :)

really? you rather watch a LOST on your computer screen than on your 40'' LCD? what's wrong with you? :p

Peace
Sep 19, 2007, 04:25 PM
I tried this and was not able to get a decent signal where I live. I use Dish Network now. I don't see anyway of using EyeTV.:(

If you have Dish Network you can get a High Def DVR and imply set it to record any show you want without being home.

hayesk
Sep 19, 2007, 04:26 PM
If they don't make it available on iTunes and don't make it available on the Mac, what other choice do I have but to get it from BitTorrent or eMule? What a bunch of losers.

Uhm... watch it on TV, or record it with eyeTV, or don't watch the show at all?

It's all well and good to call NBC a bunch of idiots (which I agree with), but don't try to claim NBC forced you to illegally download their shows. That part you decided to do all on your own. Access to TV shows is not in the Magna Carta - at least not the last time I checked.

gonnabuyamac
Sep 19, 2007, 04:27 PM
nbc... giving me another reason to continue cutting tv out of my day. i'm a big fan of heroes, but i refuse to deal with commercials. (just not even worth the annoyance for me - i'd rather find something else to do) so, i guess i'll just borrow season dvd's from a friend that usually buys them. i refuse to ever let nbc get another cent from me.

hayesk
Sep 19, 2007, 04:28 PM
(any one remember "Mad Headroom"? I watched the pilot on tape, miss that show).

It was Max Headroom, yes, it was a great show - and still not available on DVD.

rt_brained
Sep 19, 2007, 04:29 PM
You can see where this is going. Free episodes until they've established a sizable user base. 12 months later, NBC announces a 'restructured' NBC Direct program to better service the individual needs of their users:

"Now, get unlimited free episodes (still only playable for 1 week) with your $12.95 yearly subscription to NBC Direct. Or, upgrade to commercial-free* episodes (again, only playable for 1 week) for just $18.95 per year. Download, hi res HDTV-capable video episodes for just $2.99 per episode ($29.95 for a show's full season) with your $15.95 annual subscription."

Subscribers will also benefit from loads of spam from NBC Direct promoting other great NBC shows you're not gonna want to miss PLUS links to cast interviews, deleted scenes, and special subscriber-only sneak previews! Yay!

*Commercial-free, that is, for the length of the episode. NBC Direct reserves the right to place bumper ads before and after each episode purchased.

F-NBC and the peacock they rode in on.

ChrisA
Sep 19, 2007, 04:29 PM
, I watch TV on my *TV*.

That's exactly it. Some one figured out long ago what
TV viewers do. It goes in this order

I want to watch TV, turn TV on.
Now let's see what's on
Settle for the show that sucks the least

The thing to notice here is that he desides to turn on the TV before he knows what he is going to watch.

NBC's web site seems to be designed for that 0.1%
of TV viewers that do not fit the above pattern. Very few will got to NBC to see what they have. Most just go to TV and wath anything that is on.

ncoffey
Sep 19, 2007, 04:32 PM
Forgive me if I missed a mention of this somewhere but I wonder if this will be a US only thing as their previous ventures have been.

megfilmworks
Sep 19, 2007, 04:33 PM
Well so much for watching NBC. Windows Media Player with no Mac support?
One huge step backward in quality and good press. This is their big power play to put Apple in place? I guess Microsoft is trying to wield its big stockholder stick. I would be very upset if I currently had a show on NBC. Kinda like 1st class passage on the Titanic.

spazzcat
Sep 19, 2007, 04:36 PM
I beg to differ. Plenty of people who didn't TiVo the episode or those who just want to watch a past episode (not referring to this damn NBC thing) just pay the $1.99 and enjoy the episode... unless youre talking 24 here. then u need a good old 65" Plasma with surround sound :D

only good show on NBC right now is 30 Rock... glad Seinfeld is back!

That is what is good about iTunes. I can watch on my iPhone, iPod, :apple: TV and other I guess on their macs:)

jblodgett
Sep 19, 2007, 04:43 PM
What happened to Hulu.com or whatever it was called???

Did they ditch that idea already?

gceo
Sep 19, 2007, 04:44 PM
What happened to Hulu.com? I thought they inked a deal with them, and they are listed on their website.

This is going to end up like that BBC Media Player....

EDIT: what are the odds. double post.

For anyone that thinks this is a good idea, just type iPlayer and Lawsuit into Google.

milo
Sep 19, 2007, 04:44 PM
Now most shows run any where from 38-40 min's

I think 42-43 is the usual standard. It is pretty lame. There are only a few shows I'm willing to sit through the commercials for. Heroes, Lost, and I guess I'm one of the few to watch nbc's thursday night comedies.

The biggest problem I have with this is I have zero interest in watching on a computer. If I can't get it to my TV, that's a dealbreaker.

Unless it costs more than iTunes or has some insanely restrictive DRM not allowing play on an iPod, I don't see any problem with a network distributing their own shows and I'm surprised it took them this long to do it.

It looks like no play on an ipod, or a mac at all. Windows machines only, and maybe some portable devices that support whatever windows DRM they're using. And it didn't take this long, multiple networks were streaming their shows last year. The only thing new about this is download instead of streaming.

acslater017
Sep 19, 2007, 04:46 PM
NBC's web site seems to be designed for that 0.1%
of TV viewers that do not fit the above pattern. Very few will got to NBC to see what they have. Most just go to TV and wath anything that is on.

I don't think that's true. Increasingly, people are turning away from television and towards the internet. Personally, I very rarely channel surf - since I know that there are only a handful of programs that I actually enjoy. I end up wasting hours of my time flipping through the channels and I feel disgusted with myself afterward. I think aversion to "trying to see what sucks the least" is what actually compels people to simply download their favorite programs.

I mostly download my fave (written) shows - the Office, 30 Rock, Man vs Wild - and use TV for live things like the news, sports, and occasional History Channel special. More people than you think are willing to watch material in non-TV formats.

rumplestiltskin
Sep 19, 2007, 04:46 PM
When will the networks just incorporate Bittorrent technology and let us share their shows with the commercials intact?

Frankly, if I could simply download the shows and pop them into my AppleTV so I could watch them on my TV set, would I even bother screwing around with editing out the commercials? What value is there in doing that?

I love the commercials; I can get a cup of coffee or take a leak. Does NBC imagine that watching shows on my computer will cause me to change this habit?

Perhaps if the commercials were something other than obnoxious car ads, we'd not be so quick to condemn them and try to speed-search through them (or edit them out).

But, of course, the people at NBC who will be making these decisions are idiots.

RidleyGriff
Sep 19, 2007, 04:47 PM
I think this is a good move. This is the most likely approach to succeed. Apple is not setup to take allow the natural TV viewing model. This it the way we watch TV today. We don't pay for it (unless you count cable), and you end up having commercials. Why should it be different online.
iTunes and AppleTV don't support this model. Apple needs to do something to easily support this, at least allow AppleTV and iPods to work with something like this.
Apple should strive to be the gateway service for all media outlets. Instead its a bottleneck. Steve is fighting a losing battle if he thinks he's going to change the way this works.
I have never and will like never pay to watch a TV show that I can view for free when broadcast, even though it has commercials.

The only thing NBC is doing here is attempting to hinder technological evolution and adoption -- all in the name of preserving the traditional advertising-based business model.

Here's the fact -- we pay for TV. Granted, there are some folks out there who may still use antennas, even HD antennas, but the vast majority of people pay for either cable or satellite service. In Los Angeles, I pay around $100 a month. For that, I get access to the 6 channels I want, and about 134 I literally never watch. And every single major network show -- shows that I pay monthly for, whether I watch them or not -- are interrupted by commercials.

Does this make sense? Paying to receive advertising? Didn't think so. Come to think of it, it's almost glaringly offensive when looked at from a common sense point of view, isn't it?

But we'd all come to accept it over the years -- but what the networks have not realized, is that with the advent of DVD, and iTunes, we've all come to enjoy and appreciate the commercial free experience as well. Thanks to Tivo, i can start watching "24" fifteen minutes after it starts, and then just fast forward through all commercials, and just get the pure content.

We've come to accept this too, and we like it. This is the future. Traditional advertising in shows will die, because the consumer has been shown how great and logical it is to not have commercials. Tivo showed us, Apple showed us, the network-mandated DVD box set showed us. This isn't a battle that's just starting to be fought either; it's already over. The genie is already out of the bottle. Once again, just like with the record industry, tech companies came in while the media corporations ignored their customer's desires and created a new standard that doesn't leave much real estate for said media corporations.

It's not a question of "if", it's a question of "when". And "What is the new business model". That is what NBC should be asking themselves here. And instead, they are prolonging the inevitable, forcing the digital era into the 1950's advertisement era model, where it frankly just doesn't belong.

If NBC-Universal continues to be so short-sighted in its tactics (and yes, I think that assuming the average American consumer will want to watch a TV show on their PC vs. their iPod is STAGGERINGLY shortsighted) they will simply find themselves in an even worse position a year from now, with even less mindshare, less leverage, and even less say in their own future.

The record companies are coming down; TV networks will be next. Not because of the efforts of Apple, but because technology has evolved to the point where the services they provide, and the way they provide them, are simply no longer necessary.

TheBobcat
Sep 19, 2007, 04:47 PM
People watch NBC? :confused:

winterspan
Sep 19, 2007, 04:51 PM
What a truly HORRID Idea. Absolutely a step BACKWARDS.Yeah NBC, please give me ANOTHER ****ING Slow as Molasses, [B]RAM Hogging, TOTALLY DRM infested Windows Client Software so I can watch yours stupid shows on my LAPTOP!?!
And then in a year from now it'll go from 'free' to charging me between $2.99 and $37.99 to download anything in a Low resolution, compressed, nasty DRM-infected format that I CAN'T move to my LCD television, Ipod or Iphone.

AND JUST WAIT FOR THE TOS! It'll be like Amazon Unbox:
"You DO NOT own the media you purchase. You are only purchasing the 'right' to watch it for a finite period of time that we can revoke at any time we want especially if you uninstall the software or don't update the software or if you turn off our secret Windows service that looks for copyrighted content and torrent files and alerts our legal department and MediaDefender"

OH MY GOD.. just disgusting. I think WE ALL NEED TO FORM A TOTAL BOYCOT of this NBC crap. NO ONE download this piece of junk.

milo
Sep 19, 2007, 04:51 PM
When will the networks just incorporate Bittorrent technology and let us share their shows with the commercials intact?

If you like the commercials you're in the minority. They would have to share a DRM'd version that only ran on a player that forced watching the commercials. And most people doing file sharing already would just grab the bootleg versions without commercials.

winterspan
Sep 19, 2007, 04:53 PM
This sounds much like what Channel 4 and the BBC are doing in the UK with their 4od and iPlayer services. Both use Kontiki (P2P thingy) and WMP, so only work on Windows. For both systems you can download shows for free up to seven days after they broadcast and then can watch them for about 30 days after that before the DRM kicks in. You can also stream them live, which makes more sense than waiting an hour for a show to download off iTunes. As far as I'm aware they've been quite successful (think iPlayer is only in beta though). BBC don't do ads, but the Channel 4 one is ad supported, and they only put one at the start of each download.

I'm much happier watching shows like this through Parallels/Bootcamp than I would be downloading them off itunes for £1.99.

I also think it makes good business sense for NBC too. It cuts out the middleman, and the Kontiki model allows for flexible pricing. All NBC have to do is license the software. I think more people are likely to watch shows this way when they can be live streamed as well.

Ive already seen and played with the changel 4 "4oD" thing or whatever. Terrible, just terrible. God forbid another POS windows DRM crap download software.
What DO YOU WANT ONE FOR EVERY FRICKEN CHANNEL or network???

After the client totally froze and crashed the first time I tried it, I uninstalled immediately. Worse than amazon unbox.

macfan881
Sep 19, 2007, 05:07 PM
People watch NBC? :confused:

you do realize heroes and The office are one of the top shows right? and theyre on nbc

SiliconAddict
Sep 19, 2007, 05:09 PM
This is the dumbest idea ever and a step backwards for Internet distribution.

Nope because OS X still consists of around 5% market share. Guess who has the rest. And with Macintels if you don't like it virtualize.

thestaton
Sep 19, 2007, 05:10 PM
I think this is pretty cool, I'll just load parallels and watch away. I'm glad it's free and I can deal with a few web commercials they are far less annoying than tv commercials and IT'S FREE!

SiliconAddict
Sep 19, 2007, 05:11 PM
you do realize heroes and The office are one of the top shows right? and theyre on nbc

Ahhh but they don't support Apple so they automatically suck. Anyone who doesn't support Apple 100% automatically sucks. :rolleyes:

KJESPOKO
Sep 19, 2007, 05:14 PM
I don't feel bad that NBC has decided not to renew their contract with Apple. Lets face it NBC has only one good show "The Office"

Yes, I'm mad that I will not be able to continue purchasing The Office from iTunes, but other than that NBC is really struggling to put out any good shows. Since I only have a Mac I don't think I will even bother with NBC's store. Just you wait once NBC realizes they could be making money from iTunes they will be back soon enough. :)

network23
Sep 19, 2007, 05:15 PM
The only thing NBC is doing here is attempting to hinder technological evolution and adoption -- all in the name of preserving the traditional advertising-based business model.

Here's the fact -- we pay for TV. Granted, there are some folks out there who may still use antennas, even HD antennas, but the vast majority of people pay for either cable or satellite service. In Los Angeles, I pay around $100 a month. For that, I get access to the 6 channels I want, and about 134 I literally never watch. And every single major network show -- shows that I pay monthly for, whether I watch them or not -- are interrupted by commercials.

Unless the laws have changed in the 10 years I've been out of the televison business, the networks see exactly $0.00 of that money you pay monthly to your cable or dish company. Why? Broadcast is free. The cable companies literally stick an antenna on their roof just like everyone else, pull in the broadcast signals and transmit them through their cable. Sometimes they make a deal with the local stations to use a direct feed, but in most cases, it is a roof antenna.

Many years ago, there was an attempt to force cable companies pay the networks to rebroadcast their signals, but I don't remember the outcome. I'm pretty sure it failed.

Look at the Nielsen ratings. I think you'll still find that more often than not, the top 10 programs are all over-the-air network-based (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX). Believe it or not, the vast majority still get most of their programming from them. You'd be surprised how many people cannot afford cable, or how many don't have cable as an option and can't afford a dish. The same with high-speed internet, that "last mile" can be a deal-breaker.

There are laws too. Broadcast stations cannot charge for their "public service", so their only alternative is the advertising model. That public service requires that they broadcast programming such as news that is in the public interest and provide services such as EBS. They are also regulated (or at least they were years ago) in showing a certain percentage of "educational" or "children's/family" programming and by how much advertising they can include in children's shows.

Rot'nApple
Sep 19, 2007, 05:21 PM
Didn't NBC just announce their shows would be available from a different content provider after breaking with iTunes though?

Yep!

NBC Universal on iTunes equals 30 percent of tv show sales...

Now NBC Universal has to have multiple outlets such as Amazon.com, Hulu, and NBC Direct to hopefully equal that 30 percent of tv show sales again...:D:D:D

Good Luck with that!

Passante
Sep 19, 2007, 05:30 PM

You don't have analog cable? Perfectly usable for TV recording. Eyetv 250 is all you need.

RidleyGriff
Sep 19, 2007, 05:31 PM
Unless the laws have changed in the 10 years I've been out of the televison business, the networks see exactly $0.00 of that money you pay monthly to your cable or dish company. Why? Broadcast is free. The cable companies literally stick an antenna on their roof just like everyone else, pull in the broadcast signals and transmit them through their cable. Sometimes they make a deal with the local stations to use a direct feed, but in most cases, it is a roof antenna.

Many years ago, there was an attempt to force cable companies pay the networks to rebroadcast their signals, but I don't remember the outcome. I'm pretty sure it failed.

Look at the Nielsen ratings. I think you'll still find that more often than not, the top 10 programs are all over-the-air network-based (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX). Believe it or not, the vast majority still get most of their programming from them. You'd be surprised how many people cannot afford cable, or how many don't have cable as an option and can't afford a dish. The same with high-speed internet, that "last mile" can be a deal-breaker.

There are laws too. Broadcast stations cannot charge for their "public service", so their only alternative is the advertising model. That public service requires that they broadcast programming such as news that is in the public interest and provide services such as EBS. They are also regulated (or at least they were years ago) in showing a certain percentage of "educational" or "children's/family" programming and by how much advertising they can include in children's shows.

Agreed that the networks see none of the money from the cable providers, but I disagree with you on the OTA popularity.

In 2006, the FCC estimated (http://picker.typepad.com/network_industries/2007/01/when_was_the_la.html) that only 15% of television users relied on OTA. With HDTV becoming the defacto standard as of 2009, I think its safe to say we can expect this only to decline. Sure, the highest rated shows according to the Neilsens may indeed be shows that are ALSO broadcast as OTA signals, (the major networks all are, and the major networks tend to receive the highest ratings), but this says literally nothing about how viewers are receiving their content.

In any case, it is really just a matter of what viewers are conditioned to accept. We know now we don't need to accept commercials -- this resolve will only strengthen as time goes on. Networks may attempt to force us to watch them, but they're going to lose this battle.

As I said, the only question that should be asked right now is "What is the new model". NBC-Uni is ignoring this question.

Stampyhead
Sep 19, 2007, 05:32 PM

It doesn't really matter who the money goes to. The point is that with cable you're paying to watch commercials. When I download TV shows from iTunes I pay for only what I want to watch and it's commercial-free. And that's the way it should be. If it weren't for my internet connection I'd cancel my cable altogether.

p0intblank
Sep 19, 2007, 05:33 PM
Well this is another "#!&@ you!" to Apple... NBC annoys the hell out of me lately.

sterno74
Sep 19, 2007, 05:39 PM
So...

They would rather make nothing on their shows? Oh wait, advertising revenue. You can guarantee that this new "free" service will have commercials and no way to skip them. Thanks. Just what I wanted... the need to fire up my piece of crap PC and then watch commercials.

NBC is DUM!

I guess I can just tivo the shows, watch them whenever I want, and then skip the commercials all together. I mean I would have been fine paying them $2/episode for a couple shows, but, eh, screw it. If they don't want my money, so be it.

4God
Sep 19, 2007, 05:43 PM
I guess I can just tivo the shows, watch them whenever I want, and then skip the commercials all together. I mean I would have been fine paying them $2/episode for a couple shows, but, eh, screw it. If they don't want my money, so be it.

Yup, ditto. Either that or I just won't watch anything related and won't support financially either.

donlphi
Sep 19, 2007, 05:43 PM
Does it make anybody else SICK knowing deep down it would take all but a days work (relatively) to get this crap working on a MAC on day one. How does a company announce something for only one OS, months before they start and still KNOW they won't have time to get another version up and running? The answer: THEY ARE F'N LAZY.

I guarantee the service absolutely sucks. It won't be compatible on any portable device, so why would you want to download it?

IDIOTS... just put your crap back on iTunes. :mad:

sterno74
Sep 19, 2007, 05:45 PM
Nope because OS X still consists of around 5% market share. Guess who has the rest. And with Macintels if you don't like it virtualize.

This is a deceptive statistic. That 5% of market share is of all desktop PC's. That includes everybody's computers at work, school, etc. How many of all desktop PC's are used for watching video on? I guarantee you that OS X's market share is a hell of a lot bigger in that realm.

nagromme
Sep 19, 2007, 05:50 PM
Does it make anybody else SICK knowing deep down it would take all but a days work (relatively) to get this crap working on a MAC on day one.

Not true: it would take a day's work (maybe three) AND a choice not to get in bed with Microsoft. As long as companies are more scared of Apple than they are of Microsoft, some of them will go with Microsoft DRM. And Microsoft's opposition to the Mac is not just laziness :)

robbyx
Sep 19, 2007, 05:58 PM

Um, can you say iPod? Cutting out the iPod is simply idiotic.

LordJohnWhorfin
Sep 19, 2007, 06:02 PM
Uhm... watch it on TV, or record it with eyeTV, or don't watch the show at all?

It's all well and good to call NBC a bunch of idiots (which I agree with), but don't try to claim NBC forced you to illegally download their shows. That part you decided to do all on your own. Access to TV shows is not in the Magna Carta - at least not the last time I checked.
They didn't force me, but I certainly won't feel bad doing it. Not that it stands a chance of happening considering how lame their fall lineup is, anyway.

mavfan1
Sep 19, 2007, 06:03 PM

I do. What I think is really going on is this thread is that Apple fanboys who were convinced by the stories that NBC really wanted to charge $4.99 an episode are frustrated to see NBC offer the shows for free because they had their hammers out, ready to bash. Now that it's not the case they're going to make up other reasons to be upset that Apple will be losing revenue and that iTunes could be made less relevant as more content providers may take NBCs path if it's successful.

robbyx
Sep 19, 2007, 06:04 PM
I'm ditching satellite TV in favor of iTunes. I've had enough of paying $100+ a month for crap. I don't watch much TV. I don't channel surf. I watch a few shows. Why should I pay upward of $1200 a year for the handful of shows I watch? It's absurd!

So, I'm ordering my shows on iTunes this season and watching them via AppleTV. I was going to order at least one NBC show, Heroes. Now I'll simply have to view it by some other means. NBC's decision not to support iTunes won't stop me from watching. It will, however, cost them my $40 season pass.

robbyx
Sep 19, 2007, 06:10 PM
I do. What I think is really going on is this thread is that Apple fanboys who were convinced by the stories that NBC really wanted to charge $4.99 an episode are frustrated to see NBC offer the shows for free because they had their hammers out, ready to bash. Now that it's not the case they're going to make up other reasons to be upset that Apple will be losing revenue and that iTunes could be made less relevant as more content providers may take NBCs path if it's successful.

I think what upsets people is the fact that NBC took the iTunes choice away. Let them give away programming for free on their website like ABC does. But why prevent people from buying via iTunes too? Personally I would never watch a show on a website or on my Mac. I want to kick back in my comfy chair and watch it on a big screen with a kicking stereo. Buying from iTunes let me do this (via AppleTV).

The second thing that upsets people is the lack of iPod support. How many people are downloading shows to watch as they commute to work or fly across the country or whatever? Now these people can't buy NBC shows.

NBC should be HAPPY that so many people WANT to buy shows at $1.99 an episode. I'll gladly pay that to not have commercials. Giving away shows for free, but forcing commercials upon the viewer, isn't a bargain. I'll look elsewhere. And we all know how EASY it is to find shows elsewhere.

The only thing NBC is doing is alienating people like me who would rather be legit and pay for the programming we enjoy - but who will NOT be forced to watch commercials.

Peace
Sep 19, 2007, 06:15 PM
One of the main reasons ABC offers it's shows online is because it's owned by Disney.And we know the rest of the story.;)

CommodityFetish
Sep 19, 2007, 06:20 PM
Will other networks follow? Who wants to make a bet? That's the crucial question for apple. ABC/Disney won't, but is this going to be:

"Welcome to the new era of Apple being the new middle man being cut out of the equation!"

...not that I'm happy about that, we'll see how it goes...

And I hope interoperability wins the day in the end - not looking good for that either...

kmarty009
Sep 19, 2007, 06:22 PM
My god, this site is brutual on complaints... Mac people are zealots and never seem to look at the broader picture. NBC is doing what best benefits themselves like any other business. Don't think Apple does not as well...

robbyx
Sep 19, 2007, 06:34 PM
My god, this site is brutual on complaints... Mac people are zealots and never seem to look at the broader picture. NBC is doing what best benefits themselves like any other business. Don't think Apple does not as well...

How does taking a choice away - a choice that made NBC money - benefit NBC? If they want to offer shows for free online, or sell them, or whatever, they still can. iTunes is simply another content distribution mechanism. And there are a lot of people who use and enjoy it.

NBC isn't going to convince me to obtain content some other way. I like the iTunes/iPod/AppleTV product ecosystem. Pricing is simple. DRM restrictions are totally manageable. And it just works. Why would I go for some new media player or new DRM system that is unproven and that won't work on my iPod, iPhone, or AppleTV?

Media companies really have an exaggerated sense of their own importance. Their shows are entertainment. They're relevant today and totally irrelevant tomorrow. TV isn't like music. You don't watch the same show over and over again. You watch it once or twice and then you're on to the next thing.

Apple's system is the best thing going because it's the ONLY system that actually CARES about the consumer. The rest are all about squeezing a few more pennies out of the consumer and restricting how, where, and when content can be viewed. This is not progress.

celavato
Sep 19, 2007, 06:42 PM
You can't blame NBC for running a test to see if it can out-Apple Apple, but there's no reason it couldn't have launched NBC Direct and remained in iTunes for another year. :confused:

jonnylink
Sep 19, 2007, 07:02 PM
At least I know the name of the service I won't ever bother using. This has nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with convenience and usability.

also read this http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20070918/190515.shtml

twoodcc
Sep 19, 2007, 07:03 PM
demonoid too. ;)

exactly.

i'm not going to give anything to NBC....not even a statistic saying i downloaded something from them for free

Sheradon
Sep 19, 2007, 07:07 PM
DUM NBC, never will go on their site to force me to watch a show on my PC when i can whatch something on my TV with :apple:TV

majordude
Sep 19, 2007, 07:11 PM
They would rather make nothing on their shows? Oh wait, advertising revenue.

My guess is that NBC figures that they can make more money by telling their advertisers that not only will there ads be seen on TV but all over the internet! Whoo hoo! They will use downloads to track demographics and sell specific ads offline. A lot of companies think that the internet and blogs and downloadable programs are magic buzz words that bring them money.

I can see them making more off ads than iTunes the first year or two.

TurboSC
Sep 19, 2007, 07:11 PM
Well whatever the grand scheme is, as long as I can watch all those shows for free, I'm cool with that.

Passante
Sep 19, 2007, 07:14 PM

Where did all the trolls come from? I think NBC is trying to astroturf their iTunes debacle.

Lets see how they are doing what's best for NBC.

Leaving the most successful internet distribution system where they were paid for their programing to move to some vapor ware system (Hulu) only to announce they are going to compete with that by offering programing on NBC.com. Oh and they are not going to support the largest selling media player.

Don't see how that's good for NBC.

megfilmworks
Sep 19, 2007, 07:17 PM
The record companies are coming down; TV networks will be next. Not because of the efforts of Apple, but because technology has evolved to the point where the services they provide, and the way they provide them, are simply no longer necessary. I agree, the paradigm shift has begun.
Cds, Dvds, HD-Dvds, etc., and (if they don't get with the times) their manufacturers, distributors and retailers are all destined for the history books.

KittyToy
Sep 19, 2007, 07:18 PM
what is the point of this, when you can just go on nbc.com and watch the episodes for free, that's how i watch my favorite Show Heroes!...What i need to watch them on itunes for?

EricNau
Sep 19, 2007, 07:22 PM
No thanks. I'll continue to watch my ABC shows in High-Def on the ABC website.

Peace
Sep 19, 2007, 07:24 PM
what is the point of this, when you can just go on nbc.com and watch the episodes for free, that's how i watch my favorite Show Heroes!...What i need to watch them on itunes for?

Please read the thread.

Mac's aren't supported on the new NBC Direct from NBC.com

aapl.jlo
Sep 19, 2007, 07:30 PM
I find this person's comment to be so true-
They [NBC] have to take the [B]HD Viewing[B] off their website if they expect to see any gain in leaving the iTMS. I also heard that they were going to charge $1 more through themselves than through the iTMS. Completely stupid move.

Piraters-mess with NBC-don't support them since they are now anti-Apple

uNext
Sep 19, 2007, 08:00 PM
Bah i download the torrents for my tv shows...

Yes i know its stealing...but why should I or anbody feel bad about any coporation who do the same to you some way somehow...

If it exist why not....Love ya torrents.

Does nbc really think anybody out there cares about paying 2-4 bucks an episode? when they already get royalties from ads etc.
how are they able to give it for free but then charge on the internet? lol
Sounds like a case of "giving my hand but instead taking the arm" type of deal.

Whatever

furcalchick
Sep 19, 2007, 08:13 PM
TV isn't like music. You don't watch the same show over and over again. You watch it once or twice and then you're on to the next thing.

i feel differently. i can watch some shows over and over and not get tired of it. don't want to get too far into it here, but is there some sort of superiority to music to other media in life?

but about this nbc thing, as long as they support macs, this sounds like a good thing. but then again, i don't have apple tv, and i don't really care about big hd megascreen tv. i think the people that aren't nitpicky about the latest technology aren't going to be too mad about this (expect for non windows users if this isn't mac compatible).

and i know many people (me being one of them) aren't too warmed up to paying 2 bucks for a digital copy of the show, when many of the shows will be on dvd within a year for about the same rate as you pay on itunes, so it isn't the end of the world i think if a show isn't on itunes.

heisetax
Sep 19, 2007, 08:24 PM
I find that there are no programs that I watch on NBC, CBS or ABC. For this reason this is all a non-issue for me.

For those that want a recording of a program a week would be far too short of a time. Sounds like a video recording device either tape or DVD still would do a better job. Paying for advertising TV seems to be wrong, but is now the common way for most people. Cable & satellite are both versions of paying for free TV. So paying for ad free downloads is just a new way of doing things.

Bill the TaxMan

zwida
Sep 19, 2007, 08:26 PM
Bah i download the torrents for my tv shows...

Yes i know its stealing...but why should I or anbody feel bad about any coporation who do the same to you some way somehow...

If it exist why not....Love ya torrents.

Does nbc really think anybody out there cares about paying 2-4 bucks an episode? when they already get royalties from ads etc.
how are they able to give it for free but then charge on the internet? lol
Sounds like a case of "giving my hand but instead taking the arm" type of deal.

Whatever

What would keep you from stealing? If the corporations were somehow "good?" Or does it simply come down to knowing it's insanely unlikely that you'll get caught?

I think iTunes does a pretty good job (when the networks cooperate, that is) of making it cheap and easy, which is--at least for me--a prerequisite for keeping things legit.

applejilted
Sep 19, 2007, 08:31 PM
It's funny how everyone and their mom thinks that they can take down iTunes. There is no way that is going to happen anytime soon. Apple is currently doing nothing wrong with iTunes/iPod. Microsoft is the giant of computers and because of the mess known as Vista people are looking at alternatives like the Mac. Apple may be the giant of online content but again they are not messing anything up. iTunes will not fall because NBC withdrew from iTunes and is doing their own thing. We got along without them for years so why do we need them now?

Don't want to disillusion you but iTunes is very vulnerable right now ..... notice how many times News.com is reporting that such and such a network is staying on but with serious reservations etc (i.e. News Corp that says that they don't have a gripe with iTunes but that creators of content should have a say on how it's packaged and how much it's sold for; or CBS who just said that they have no intention to leave iTunes but that the iTunes distribution model barely makes a ripple in their revenue stream) ....

Steve Jobs is very aware of how iTunes is very vulnerable at this time which is why he made a polite remark about NBC with an appropriate audio selection (forget which one) at the recent iPod launch, make no mistake about it he very much wants NBC back as this defection may embolden others to do the same in the not too distant future and then who would he sell all those new video capable iPods to ?

One Ohm
Sep 19, 2007, 08:35 PM
No The Office for me this season :-(

macenforcer
Sep 19, 2007, 09:06 PM
Lame. I will record them for free now with eyeTV and edit out the commercials. Stupid NBC Brass. Been retarded for 50yrs now. This is why lettermen went to CBS.

MacAerfen
Sep 19, 2007, 09:12 PM
NBC is betting on convenience. They are offering it free in hopes people will become used to using their craptastic service. Kind of like coke dealers giving the first taste free. They are about as honest as that too.

I do not think this will work. The popularity of iPods simply can't be denied. There is Zero... ZERO .... Z E R O (for those that want to live under the fantasy world idea that they will) chance that they will produce it drm free which means it will never work on iPods.

Commercials are a dying bread, and trying to market something extra with commercials is a dumb idea.

I think large companies like Broadcasters and Record companies are going to be in for a rude awakening soon.

Alot of artists and media producers are getting fed up with the market scams these companies are pulling. There are musicians who are taking a serious look at self distribution. Television producers are also looking at product placement in shows as a source of revenue to produce shows. The power of online distribution is going to really break down the current business models recording companies and broadcasters have been milking for so long.

Oh and for those comments about how producers should have a say on how their content is sold, thats ridiculous. They do not currently have a say. NBC pays companies that produce shows money for the broadcast rights. It is NBC that decide on how that content is sold. Apple is simply saying they are not willing to carry over priced products. It really is NBCs loss not Apple. iTunes will continue to be strong and I suspect as producing companies get tired of loosing money because of NBC mismanagement Apple may find themselves in the position to buy directly from the producers.

brsboarder
Sep 19, 2007, 09:14 PM
good, they are fighting back against the new microsoft (apple) They have obviously done a little more HW than us and our ideas about how this will ruin them are probably wrong. Competition is good. Free markets good.

MacAerfen
Sep 19, 2007, 09:22 PM
good, they are fighting back against the new microsoft (apple) They have obviously done a little more HW than us and our ideas about how this will ruin them are probably wrong. Competition is good. Free markets good.

Thats right competition is good... keep dreaming, this is not about competition. Apple is not the new Microsoft. Apple is just smart enough to know that people are not going to pay 4.99 an episode and is not interested in participating in NBC's bundling plan. Im sorry but I have no desire to pay a dime for shows I didn't want because NBC wants me to. And yes the popular shows would be 4.99 because you would get an episode of some lame show that wasn't worth watching to begin with bundled in with the show you actually wanted. So ya cheer on NBC for trying to push their cheap shows down the throats of customers by saying "you can't buy what you want unless you buy this as well". I know Apple is not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts but in this case they are protecting the consumer from price gouging.

Detlev
Sep 19, 2007, 09:25 PM
OK, apparently several people here do not presently watch episodes on the web. ABC has practiced a similar distribution method with some of its active shows. You can watch online for free, with a single sponsor (3 commercials right where the breaks are usually), and certain shows only allow you to view last week's show (so you have to make time to watch it that week). Other shows have all their episodes online. Previously the technology only allowed poor quality or small videos but now there is full screen, higher quality video. I also believe the original videos did not "support Macs" but you could still watch them.

NBC has some shows online already. Again, with commercials from a single sponsor. It is not a bad idea. Advertising revenues will make up for what they miss from iTunes plus some. Believe it or not skeptics, Apple will feel a hurt from this one combined with other new services available on the web. It might not be a death toll but there will be, or is, a certain amount of hurt.

mambodancer
Sep 19, 2007, 09:26 PM
So...

NBC is DUM!

Neuroguy

Exactly the way they, and a lot of content providers run their websites now. They make you sit through a commercial before you can view the content. It's why paying $1.99 through iTunes is, in my opinion a good option. I love watching commercial free shows on my own time on the laptop, computer, iPod or iPhone of my choice.

mambodancer
Sep 19, 2007, 09:28 PM
Lame. I will record them for free now with eyeTV and edit out the commercials. Stupid NBC Brass. Been retarded for 50yrs now. This is why lettermen went to CBS.

You and me both. In fact, I'll burn 'em and share 'em with friends.

Teddy's
Sep 19, 2007, 09:40 PM
The description of their software also includes this gem:

A Sony-like SPYWARE!

Yeah! that's why is PC ONLY

TLewis
Sep 19, 2007, 10:25 PM
2) Though the details are vague, the article says future versions will support Macs as well as "portable devices". Even NBC isn't stupid enough to not be compatible with the 100 million+ iPods out there. (right...?)
lol, want to bet? :)

My guess is that "portable devices" means "zune" and its WMV ilk, and not iPods. :p AFAIK, the only way to get a DRM'd show onto a iPod is via iTunes. Since DRM is required, no iTunes == no iPods.

chasemac
Sep 19, 2007, 10:55 PM
Okay. I come home from work and check my Tivo to see what has been on NBC. Okay, not really. Now, I do come home from work to see what is on my Mac!!!!!!! Maybe I am naive and maybe not. There are simply so many options for media that at this time if NBC's content will be in Winsuck format then I don't really care cause I wont be watching it or any advertisements that tv offers and I don't care for their lackluster content anyway. Maybe I will sleep better tonight.

chairguru22
Sep 19, 2007, 11:03 PM
thank god its still free. i cant still catch Heroes on tuesday. but i liked the way it was before in that you just streamed it off their website. i dont really wanna have to d/l some program...

jyroflux
Sep 19, 2007, 11:58 PM
It's bad enough 99% of NBC shows blow, but to watch them all shrunk down with crappy sound, who needs that?

Whistleway
Sep 20, 2007, 12:00 AM
Seriously, I am happy the shows are free. Right way to do it unlike itunes and sj's maniac need for control.

Whistleway
Sep 20, 2007, 12:02 AM
I know Apple is not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts but in this case they are protecting the consumer from price gouging.

Ha ha.. Really? Price gouging and Apple should be synonymous. I still love Apple though.

drater
Sep 20, 2007, 02:37 AM
Seriously, I am happy the shows are free. Right way to do it unlike itunes and sj's maniac need for control.

I'm pretty sure the videos are free if you want to stream them. You'll still have to pay for them if you want to download them, just not on a mac, and definitely not on your iPod.
I pay for shows every once in a while, but I dvr everything, so its not that often.

And the comment about steve? That's funny, I thought NBC was building their own site for control. Steve's trying to lower prices and they jump the ship. Something to think about

slackpacker
Sep 20, 2007, 04:55 AM
I'm SURE the NBC feed will be commercial free like iTunes..... NOT!

looks like I'm going to be using my DVR quite a bit for NBC shows..

Passante
Sep 20, 2007, 05:03 AM
I'm SURE the NBC feed will be commercial free like iTunes..... NOT!

looks like I'm going to be using my DVR quite a bit for NBC shows..

And sharing them with all my Mac friends. ;)

wnurse
Sep 20, 2007, 06:04 AM

You were watching apple crappy quality videos on your 60'' frong projection home theater?.. wow!!!, some people will go to great lengths to support apple!!.

jacktiernan
Sep 20, 2007, 06:20 AM
Screw you NBC.

Off to [website name removed] for me. They'll never see my money again.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

yoyoman
Sep 20, 2007, 06:22 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

Besides "30 Rock" and "Heroes" (neither of which I watch) and occasionally Law and Order: SVU, I couldn't care less about NBC. They screwed the pooch when they bailed on iTunes, they're third in the big three primetime networks in ratings and with their crappy Fall line-up doesn't appear that will change any time soon. Poor schmucks.

AMEN. I HATE commercials. A few weeks ago I took out a few old BetaMax and VHS tapes to convert into digital media, and I was amazed that back in the 80's most shows ran 50 min's (any one remember "Mad Headroom"? I watched the pilot on tape, miss that show). Now most shows run any where from 38-40 min's, which means the average viewer spends a third of their time watching mindless ads telling us to "BUY! BUY! BUY!". It's disgusting. I'd rather pay the $1.99 to avoid being brainwashed by advertisers. God bless the free market. :rolleyes:

commercials.....I have not watched a commercial in three years. DVRs are the best invention since the TV. If I can figure out how to get the content off of it and on to my iPhone, I would have the perfect solution.

wnurse
Sep 20, 2007, 07:35 AM
You and me both. In fact, I'll burn 'em and share 'em with friends.

That's a lot of work.. why don't you currently burn and share apple itunes content?. What's different?.. your friends would still appreciate free shows, regardless of how you got them.

wnurse
Sep 20, 2007, 07:42 AM
You guys crack me up.. nbc announces that they will have some of their shows for free and you prefer to pay apple $1.99?. why?. Free sounds good to me.

Let's see.. $1.99 vs Free.. I'll take free, thank you very much.

k2k koos
Sep 20, 2007, 07:47 AM
well, fake steve jobs that is, but it sums it up nicely :-)

http://fakesteve.blogspot.com/ :apple:

balamw
Sep 20, 2007, 07:49 AM
Can't take this free with me on my iPod.

B

k2k koos
Sep 20, 2007, 07:49 AM
You guys crack me up.. nbc announces that they will have some of their shows for free and you prefer to pay apple $1.99?. why?. Free sounds good to me.

and after 7 days, it's gone, bye bye, gone, or....., you can BUY it afterwards.....
you're still paying, and well, have a look at this: http://fakesteve.blogspot.com/
:apple:

freediverdude
Sep 20, 2007, 09:11 AM
Well, there's no way I'm downloading one of those proprietary video players. These companies need to get a clue. And people are not going to go to umpteen different websites to be able to download the shows from each network, do a separate video player for each one, and so forth. Even if it is free, it's too much hassle, not even counting the commercials. What are these companies thinking.

mpuck972
Sep 20, 2007, 09:14 AM
Anyone have a link yet so I can bookmark it?? Is free ever bad?

luminosity
Sep 20, 2007, 09:20 AM

I'd like to observe that your last line embodies the difference between 20 years ago and today. An entire generation of viewers is now growing up with TiVo, iTunes and cable on demand, among other things. Twenty years ago, networks decided when you watched something. If you missed something when it first aired, you were more or less screwed. Now you have a raft of options.

Of course, TV executives are part of older generations of viewers and often don't understand this (CBS obviously does, as they're leaving well enough alone with regard to iTunes).

Any major feature article on this issue would do well to take these words and quote them:

Unthinkable 50-10 years ago, almost taken for granted now.

benpatient
Sep 20, 2007, 09:26 AM
i'm amazed by the lack of common sense on these board sometimes.

Guys, NBC didn't go to Apple and say "you must start charging 4.99 for episodes, or we're leaving." Apple wasn't your resolute hero, standing firm for 1.99 episodes no matter what, looking out for the "little guy" and all of that.

Apple obviously wanted half or more of the consumer price. That's a pretty stiff hosting fee. Yes, Apple wanted the price to go down to 99 cents to match their DRM'ed song price, but they were probably asking NBC to take 40-50 cents on the dollar. Of course that stuff is all secret contract detail, but you'll notice that Apple, not NBC, announced to the public that the price would be 4.99 if NBC got as much per episode up front as they wanted. That might have been 1.50 or 1.75, which is probably what they're getting from Amazon for their 1.99 downloads. The difference between Apple and everyone else is that Apple expects to make at least 50% straight profit on everything they sell. If they don't make that mark, then they have to compensate somewhere else.

Parts on the new Nano cost less than 50 bucks? You can bet that Apple's investment money there will end up being less than 10 bucks in addition to-consumer costs by the time they ship a new Nano design. And component prices will drop over the next year or so, further increasing the bottom line. The Nano's profit margin is probably configured to compensate for iTunes music and video sales that presumably will be purchased along with the Nano with a minimal amount of profit for apple (only 10-20% depending on the source).

Don't get me wrong, Apple makes great hardware and great software...but they're much better at raking in the cash and over fist.

I have two macs at home, one at work, 2 ipods and another Mac on the way when I get my christmas bonus. I get it. But I also know that if I could easily put OS X on a self-built generic intel box, I would do that and save myself several hundred dollars in the process. Apple's OS isn't a money-making product by their standards...it's a way to make you buy a new Mac. I wouldn't have purchased a macbook if I could easily install 10.4 on an Acer laptop. I would, however, still want a mac mini for my home theater. They are overcharging for the components, but until someone makes a better machine that takes up less space, that mini is hard to ignore for home theater guys.

The macpro i have at work has a lot more value than my G5 in my eyes, not so much it's faster, but because it's got 4 hard drive bays and 2 optical bays and built-in optical audio, decent amount of room for expansion cards, and relatively-easy-to-upgrade processors. It costs too much by a couple hundred bucks, but it has overkill potential that's hard to ignore. You can stuff a lot of RAM in these puppies.

cliffjumper68
Sep 20, 2007, 10:06 AM

They do not care about Mac's. This is a bad move for NBC and Fox, they will devalue their content by making it free and difficult to manage/ transfer. The ipod/ apple tv vehicle makes down-loadable content commercially viable. I expect that ripped copies will increase as a substitute and profitability in this sector will degrade. Why can't these media companies see what happened with digital music? Provide a smooth user friendly experience and you can make money. Punish the market and resist your consumers and create a black market. Basic's just basic's.

cliffjumper68
Sep 20, 2007, 10:10 AM

Guys, NBC didn't go to Apple and say "you must start charging 4.99 for episodes, or we're leaving." Apple wasn't your resolute hero, standing firm for 1.99 episodes no matter what, looking out for the "little guy" and all of that.

Apple obviously wanted half or more of the consumer price. That's a pretty stiff hosting fee. Yes, Apple wanted the price to go down to 99 cents to match their DRM'ed song price, but they were probably asking NBC to take 40-50 cents on the dollar. Of course that stuff is all secret contract detail, but you'll notice that Apple, not NBC, announced to the public that the price would be 4.99 if NBC got as much per episode up front as they wanted. That might have been 1.50 or 1.75, which is probably what they're getting from Amazon for their 1.99 downloads. The difference between Apple and everyone else is that Apple expects to make at least 50% straight profit on everything they sell. If they don't make that mark, then they have to compensate somewhere else.

Parts on the new Nano cost less than 50 bucks? You can bet that Apple's investment money there will end up being less than 10 bucks in addition to-consumer costs by the time they ship a new Nano design. And component prices will drop over the next year or so, further increasing the bottom line. The Nano's profit margin is probably configured to compensate for iTunes music and video sales that presumably will be purchased along with the Nano with a minimal amount of profit for apple (only 10-20% depending on the source).

Don't get me wrong, Apple makes great hardware and great software...but they're much better at raking in the cash and over fist.

I have two macs at home, one at work, 2 ipods and another Mac on the way when I get my christmas bonus. I get it. But I also know that if I could easily put OS X on a self-built generic intel box, I would do that and save myself several hundred dollars in the process. Apple's OS isn't a money-making product by their standards...it's a way to make you buy a new Mac. I wouldn't have purchased a macbook if I could easily install 10.4 on an Acer laptop. I would, however, still want a mac mini for my home theater. They are overcharging for the components, but until someone makes a better machine that takes up less space, that mini is hard to ignore for home theater guys.

The macpro i have at work has a lot more value than my G5 in my eyes, not so much it's faster, but because it's got 4 hard drive bays and 2 optical bays and built-in optical audio, decent amount of room for expansion cards, and relatively-easy-to-upgrade processors. It costs too much by a couple hundred bucks, but it has overkill potential that's hard to ignore. You can stuff a lot of RAM in these puppies.

If you would install OSX on a Acer computer, I have my doubts about you being a Mac user/ enthusiast. Do you work for NBC or Fox? :confused:

gkarris
Sep 20, 2007, 11:26 AM
If you would install OSX on a Acer computer, I have my doubts about you being a Mac user/ enthusiast. Do you work for NBC or Fox? :confused:

The only thing lower is OSX on a Dell. Hey, do yourself a favor and keep Windows in these things so you can watch NBC Direct...

Stampyhead
Sep 20, 2007, 11:29 AM

Let's see... $1.99 vs having to watch commercials and not being able to put it on my iPod? I'll take $1.99, thank you very much.

Sprung
Sep 20, 2007, 11:47 AM
I have a companion story on one of my pages titled: NBC Seeks Post-Apple Juice by Nat Worden (The Street dot Com), which contains two sentences from the article, a continue reading link, followed by:

General Electric PROFITS FROM WAR

Companies Who Profit from War Should Not Be Allowed To Own Major Corporate Media for Public Distribution

Filing a Complaint with the FCC is Easy
http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html

Send General and Indecency complaints about NBC Network News: The Today Show, Nightly News, Meet the Press, Dateline NBC, NBC News at Sunrise, CNBC business television; MSNBC 24-hour cable and Internet news service (co-owned by NBC and Microsoft); Court TV (co-owned with Time Warner), Bravo (50%), A&E (25%), History Channel (25%) to fccinfo@fcc.gov

Our Consumer & Mediation Specialists are available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. ET to answer your questions and assist you in filing a complaint. Call toll-free at 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322) voice or 1-888-TELL- FCC (1-888-835-5322) TTY.

General Complaints may be faxed toll-free to: 1-866-418-0232

It may be harsh, but I believe it!

Maccus Aurelius
Sep 20, 2007, 01:12 PM
I can't see how anyone sees this as a good thing. I liked paying the $1.99 or a season pass to watch the shows I liked. Whoever doesn't like paying per episode doesn't have to, and can leave it to the rest of us that enjoy the convenience. I certainly despise commercials, and I have no wish to own a DVR or have some other method of eliminating it from my content, especially when an option is available to me that provides me videos with zero ads polluting my experience.

Mac market share? Why on earth do people still believe that this is a valid counterpoint?

NBC can suck it.

fabianjj
Sep 20, 2007, 03:22 PM

you're not considering the possibility that people might be interseted in the apple software without having to pay a hefty amount of money to use it, especially when they can install about any windows/opensource OS they want on their PC?

I mean, I like a lot of people don't support microsoft by buying a 2000$ PC from Dell, many people build their own computers (or have some website or local store do it for them) and would appreciate if apple offered software for them too.

about NBC: most people would appreciate free content, I would. But most people aren't on these online forums and news sites finding out these things(But on the other hand I don't know how much NBC will market this (or how many people will bother caring if they do)).

they watch things on their TV, or maybe purchase some shows from iTunes. They don't toogle between websites to se what they want. either they turn on the TV when they know it's on, or they don't care.

But hopefully people will start supporting digital distribution more so that we can finaly move on from all these restrictions that have plagued us for so many years.

But in about 10-20 years we are bound to notice a difference. Because by then the people who grew up with high speed internet connections, partial online distribution and PMP:s will be in charge of things.

NightStorm
Sep 20, 2007, 03:27 PM
you're not considering the possibility that people might be interseted in the apple software without having to pay a hefty amount of money to use it, especially when they can install about any windows/opensource OS they want on their PC?

I mean, I like a lot of people don't support microsoft by buying a 2000$ PC from Dell, many people build their own computers (or have some website or local store do it for them) and would appreciate if apple offered software for them too.

about NBC: most people would appreciate free content, I would. But most people aren't on these online forums and news sites finding out these things(But on the other hand I don't know how much NBC will market this (or how many people will bother caring if they do)).

they watch things on their TV, or maybe purchase some shows from iTunes. They don't toogle between websites to se what they want. either they turn on the TV when they know it's on, or they don't care.

But hopefully people will start supporting digital distribution more so that we can finaly move on from all these restrictions that have plagued us for so many years.

But in about 10-20 years we are bound to notice a difference. Because by then the people who grew up with high speed internet connections, partial online distribution and PMP:s will be in charge of things.
Allowing OSX on any PC would mean that drivers would have to be written to support a lot more hardware. Apple couldn't do this all themselves, meaning that they would have to rely on 3rd party software/code/drivers for this piece. This would likely have a negative effect on the operating systems overall stability.

LethalWolfe
Sep 20, 2007, 03:41 PM
Apple's OS isn't a money-making product by their standards...it's a way to make you buy a new Mac.
They are overcharging for the components, but until someone makes a better machine that takes up less space, that mini is hard to ignore for home theater guys.

If Apple didn't "over charge" for the components (the hardware), and their software margins are low (or in some cases non-existant). How do you expect them to make money? If Apple allowed people to run Apple software on any old computer they'd fold faster than an over-caffinated origami artist.

Lethal

majordude
Sep 20, 2007, 03:42 PM
Allowing OSX on any PC would mean that drivers would have to be written to support a lot more hardware. Apple couldn't do this all themselves, meaning that they would have to rely on 3rd party software/code/drivers for this piece. This would likely have a negative effect on the operating systems overall stability.

That's Microsofts model.

OSXP.

e-coli
Sep 20, 2007, 04:04 PM
Let me see. What's easier and makes more sense:

a) asking millions of people to throw away their iPod Video, iPod Touch or iPhone and buy a Zune (or carry a PC laptop around..oh-so-portable) in order to watch shows with commercials

or

b) download the shows (sans commercials) from a torrent

hmmmm.....

Idiots.

Passante
Sep 21, 2007, 05:08 AM

Apple obviously wanted half or more of the consumer price. That's a pretty stiff hosting fee. Yes, Apple wanted the price to go down to 99 cents to match their DRM'ed song price, but they were probably asking NBC to take 40-50 cents on the dollar. snip

Where did you get this information. From what I have read about iTunes tracks Apple gets no where near 50% of the track price for "hosting".

DISCOMUNICATION
Sep 21, 2007, 08:21 AM
Well, there's no way I'm downloading one of those proprietary video players. These companies need to get a clue. And people are not going to go to umpteen different websites to be able to download the shows from each network, do a separate video player for each one, and so forth. Even if it is free, it's too much hassle, not even counting the commercials. What are these companies thinking.
Bingo why would anyone think their content is so great you have to go someplace that only carries that? Sony has tried this and failed many times. A tue iTunes challenger doesn't have to be Mac or iPod compatible , but it does need to carry more content not less.

hagjohn
Sep 21, 2007, 08:52 AM
Microsoft doesn't make any money selling software... :rolleyes: I think I would go blind watching things on a such a little screen.

If Apple didn't "over charge" for the components (the hardware), and their software margins are low (or in some cases non-existant). How do you expect them to make money? If Apple allowed people to run Apple software on any old computer they'd fold faster than an over-caffinated origami artist.

Lethal

jamesarm97
Sep 21, 2007, 09:01 AM
I tried NBC out. Unbox via Windows XP via Parallels on Macbook Pro followed by fair4umv = OS X Quicktime playable files. Burned to DVD using Toast and watched on TV. Not something I want to do every day. I just wanted to watch a few of the prerelease shows. I use Mythtv and prefer commercial free tv anytime I want. I have 2 OTA HD tuners and one for Dish.

LethalWolfe
Sep 21, 2007, 12:42 PM
Microsoft doesn't make any money selling software... :rolleyes: I think I would go blind watching things on a such a little screen.
No, MS make its money selling software (mostly from Office, IIRC). Apple makes its money selling hardware (computers, iPods, etc.,.).

Lethal

gkarris
Sep 21, 2007, 01:34 PM
I tried NBC out. Unbox via Windows XP via Parallels on Macbook Pro followed by fair4umv = OS X Quicktime playable files. Burned to DVD using Toast and watched on TV. Not something I want to do every day. I just wanted to watch a few of the prerelease shows. I use Mythtv and prefer commercial free tv anytime I want. I have 2 OTA HD tuners and one for Dish.

Unbox to your Tivo, silly.... :p

robbyx
Sep 21, 2007, 01:35 PM
i feel differently. i can watch some shows over and over and not get tired of it. don't want to get too far into it here, but is there some sort of superiority to music to other media in life?

Superiority is perhaps the wrong word...but there's a huge difference in my mind. When you buy an album, how many times do you listen to it? Hundreds? Thousands? Who knows. How many times are you realistically going to watch a TV show? Even if you LOVE it, I can't imagine anyone is going to watch the same episode more than a few times. Even ten times. Still, it's a fraction of the number of listens one gets out of an album. Once you know the plot, the TV show is less interesting. But an album is a completely different experience, one that does not grow old or stale (unless, of course, it's some manufactured boy band crap or something, but I'm talking about real music...).

but about this nbc thing, as long as they support macs, this sounds like a good thing. but then again, i don't have apple tv, and i don't really care about big hd megascreen tv. i think the people that aren't nitpicky about the latest technology aren't going to be too mad about this (expect for non windows users if this isn't mac compatible).

I disagree. More than anything else, people want to put shows on their iPod to watch on the train to work or whatever. NBC's move prevents them from doing so. Stupid.

and i know many people (me being one of them) aren't too warmed up to paying 2 bucks for a digital copy of the show, when many of the shows will be on dvd within a year for about the same rate as you pay on itunes, so it isn't the end of the world i think if a show isn't on itunes.

I'd much rather pay $2/episode for the shows I watch and get rid of my Dish altogether. A season pass to a show on iTunes seems to be around $30-$40. Let's say $35. If I watch 10 shows (I watch less), that's $350 a year for all of the programming that interests me. Dish is charging me $100 a month. I'll GLADLY pay $2/episode and ultimately save $850 a year - and not have to suffer commercials either! That leaves plenty of dough left over to buy whatever TV series I really love on DVD.

flyguy451
Sep 24, 2007, 10:09 AM
Interesting editorial regarding the networks' direct-to-consumer mentality in today's Globe and Mail (Canada):

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs/cyberia?cid=al_gam_nletter_dtechal

nbs2
Sep 25, 2007, 08:42 AM
This thread seems dead, so I may end up asking again elsewhere -

Anybody have any ideas as to how this will affect the vintage shows from NBC? Season 3 of Hitchcock comes out 10/9, and it includes the presentation of what I believe is the greatest short story ever written - Lamb to the Slaughter. I'd like to buy it, but I'm not sure if NBC is pulling just their current works or the entire catalog.

NightStorm
Sep 25, 2007, 09:08 AM
This thread seems dead, so I may end up asking again elsewhere -

Anybody have any ideas as to how this will affect the vintage shows from NBC? Season 3 of Hitchcock comes out 10/9, and it includes the presentation of what I believe is the greatest short story ever written - Lamb to the Slaughter. I'd like to buy it, but I'm not sure if NBC is pulling just their current works or the entire catalog.
Unless something changes by December, I believe all of their shows will disappear at that time. I'm still holding out hope that the new seasons of Heroes and The Office will appear, and everything will be happy once again. :(

NightStorm
Sep 25, 2007, 07:25 PM
An interesting note, two of NBC's new shows, Chuck and Journeyman, are now available (w/ season passes) on iTunes. No sign of the new season of Heroes yet though...

Daveway
Sep 27, 2007, 03:51 PM
Too bad the director of The Office won't be able to watch new episodes on his iPod.
He was like an Apple commercial in his nbc.com interview.

Don't know if this was posted before, but here it is:
http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/video/#mea=116289

Tumeg101
Oct 14, 2007, 12:11 AM
Where is this located? It is October, and I can't find the beta of this...

and do you guys think, to get around the license ending in a week, could you put it on your iPod and have it on there until you delete it? and maybe it will just get removed from your computer...