PDA

View Full Version : Powermac Ram & Hard Drive

lilrichie
Sep 19, 2007, 05:35 PM
Hello All,

I have a 1.8Ghz Powermac old version with 4GB memory cap and 4 memory slots, also it has 2 hard drive banks.

I am starting to get into photography a bit more serious than i was a year ago when i bought this machine and she really isnt pulling her weight now and i can't afford to buy a macpro. What is the best option in terms of upgrades? Would you pull the 4x512mb sticks out and but 4 1GB sticks in also i was thinking about putting a 500GB disk in and a second 500GB disk in slot 'B' for backup.

Any thoughts....
Cheers
Rich

CanadaRAM
Sep 19, 2007, 05:41 PM
It's a PowerMac G5 Dual-Processor or Single-processor purchased before Oct 2005, correct?

You could go with 2 x 1 Gb or 4 x 1 Gb PC3200 RAM modules. Photoshop likes lots of RAM - it will use 3 Gb for itself if available.

Instead of replacing your stock 160 Gb HD (or whatever it is), I would put in a 500 Gb dedicated to data (keeping the System and applications on the 160) and I would get a Firewire external 500 for backup.

lilrichie
Sep 19, 2007, 05:48 PM
Looking in the 'About this mac' screen it looks like it is a Single processor unit i bought this second hand so i am not 100% maybe it tells me in system profiler.......ah yes their is 1 processor in their.

Yea i was thinking of maxing it out with th 4GB. What ram can u put in here? Does it have to be Mac compatible i have never installed any in a mac.

As far as storage goes i have a 250GB in here right now i might keep that for the applications and the photoshop scratch disk and then throw a 500GB dedicated storage at it.....with a 500GB external for backup and mirror of the internal.

Rich

CanadaRAM
Sep 20, 2007, 12:05 AM
You need PC3200 RAM -- It is best to get RAM that the seller guarantees is Mac compatible -- if the Serial Presence Detect settings are not correctly written, a generic PC3200 won't work properly in the G5 machines.

lilrichie
Sep 20, 2007, 02:22 AM
You need PC3200 RAM -- It is best to get RAM that the seller guarantees is Mac compatible -- if the Serial Presence Detect settings are not correctly written, a generic PC3200 won't work properly in the G5 machines.

like this - http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=D48EDA0DA5CA7304