PDA

View Full Version : Apple Addressing iPod Touch Screen Issue

wheatie
Sep 19, 2007, 10:14 PM
Well the moment everyone has been waiting for (on this board at least), Apple through their prophet, Walt Mossberg of the WSJ have acknowledged the screen issues.

A quote from Walt's article to appear in tomorrow's WSJ,

"Also, some early iPod Touch units have had defective screens, where images appeared too dark. Apple says this problem affected a small number of units and is being remedied. My two test units displayed beautiful images."

Here is a link to Walt Mossberg's entire article/review of the iPod Touch.

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/

If you don't know the background on Walt Mossberg he is one of the big tech columnists who writes for the Wall Street Journal, he has a direct line dialog with Steve Jobs.

I have been wanting a Touch since they were announced. I am one of those who didn't want a contract with AT&T but the essence of an iPhone.

I have been lurking on these boards reading comments way to much. I don't know whether it was a software or hardware issue that has been plaguing the screen (I tend to think it is a software Gamma issue as stated, but have no special knowledge) but I'm just glad it will be fixed.

Now I'll try to find one at Costco and either get one if they arrive tomorrow that is fixed or return it when the screen issue is resolved.

I have no idea what happens from here for all your iPod Touch owners currently, please just wait till they announce and stop returning units, you're making it too hard for the rest of us suckers to buy them!

Update: I just emailed Walt to ask him if he knew anymore on the screen issue, unbelievably he responded. Here is his response,

"I don't know exactly what the problem is or how they will solve it. But they insist it only affected a small number of early units."

Of course, we don't believe this to be true as it appears people getting them as late as today have the issue. I'm just relaying the information to all.

metalarmed
Sep 19, 2007, 10:16 PM
yes yes yes! This is awesome news!:)

ivi7
Sep 19, 2007, 10:17 PM
It's about time.

Sean Dempsey
Sep 19, 2007, 10:21 PM
"Screengate 2007" coming to a close so soon?

onionperson654
Sep 19, 2007, 10:33 PM
Apple says this problem affected a small number of units

..........right, maybe compared to all of the touch units they every plan on selling, but from posters on this board it seemed greater than, say, 80% (although those with defective ipods are probably more likely to post).

Hopefully the rumor that Costco (or at least one Costco) will have them tomorrow is true, but considering no stores other than Best Buy and Apple have gotten them in, I'm not very optomistic.

On the other hand, I had a weekly meeting, and during it thought that this time next week, I'd probably have one in my pocket.:) (not really one for smiley faces, but keeping in the spirit on the top of this thread!)

Added: The article seemed to suggest that it was a hardware, not gamma shift, issue as there were a number of defective units. The software should all be the same, and one would have expected that if that was the issue, Apple would have fixed it already (they must have known about this issue since the first rumors of it came out.

RyanG
Sep 19, 2007, 10:39 PM
So hardware confirmed? :)

wheatie
Sep 19, 2007, 10:44 PM
I spoke with someone at Costco, they said it lists the 20th as they date they will get them on their computer system (this must be a nationwide date for them). She said this doesn't mean they will necessarily be in the stores on the 20th. They said you can call the individual store and give them the item #237352 [Costco designated item # for the iPod Touch (16GB I think/hope)] they can check its status and if it's in yet. She said if it is showing "In Transit" when they look up on their computers than this means it is "arriving that day".

My fingers are crossed it is "In Transit" tomorrow as well so I can get my hands on one!

Vikinguy
Sep 19, 2007, 10:49 PM
So, I wonder what the percentage is that are defective. I REALLy wanna go get one tomorrow.

onionperson654
Sep 19, 2007, 10:52 PM
I spoke with someone at Costco, they said it lists the 20th as they date they will get them on their computer system (this must be a nationwide date for them). She said this doesn't mean they will necessarily be in the stores on the 20th. They said you can call the individual store and give them the item #237352 [Costco designated item # for the iPod Touch (16GB I think/hope)] they can check its status and if it's in yet. She said if it is showing "In Transit" when they look up on their computers than this means it is "arriving that day".

My fingers are crossed it is "In Transit" tomorrow as well so I can get my hands on one!

Wonderful! Specifics are far better than random rumors.

I tried searching for 237352 on Costco's website under search by item number with no success. I'll try again tomorrow, although I hope I'm not getting my hopes up too high. Plus, because Costco sells them slightly cheaper, they don't list their prices, and you can't order them online (or at least have them shipped), so even if the touch doesn't show up (they still have the last generation listed under ipods) it could mean nothing. Arggg, just more ambiguities.

(even for those not buying at Costco, its a good sign that the touch will be availible before the 28th. The typhoon in Singapore, however, is not the best sign for early releases, although I feel somewhat selfish for considering that when people could by dying/loosing their homes)

mrkramer
Sep 19, 2007, 10:57 PM
So, I wonder what the percentage is that are defective. I REALLy wanna go get one tomorrow.

I would guess that if it is a hardware problem they are all from one factory and it probably is less than 50% just the people who have the problems are the ones who will post.

wheatie
Sep 19, 2007, 11:01 PM
I tried searching for 237352 on Costco's website under search by item number with no success. I'll try again tomorrow, although I hope I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

They don't sell iPods online at Costco.com; they only sell them in stores. So you won't find the item # online. You'll need to call the individual store and inquire and have them look up the status in the internal Costco computer system they have. She just gave me the item # so they could get the info quicker from their system when I call back. Hopefully the item # she gave me is valid, if not you can describe it as an Apple iPod Touch 16GB and they can look it up that way too.

I hope it is in the stores tomorrow, I've been bitten by the tech bug bad on this one. Just thinking now how I'm going to justify the purchase to my wife. I usually some it up for her and say something like, "It only cost me $70 when you factor in me selling my old iPod and accessories, yada yada. Luckily she doesn't realize how much I must have spent on those other accessories too. Oh well, we all like to spend $$ on different stuff.

Good luck onionperson I hope you get yours tomorrow as well too.

jmack549
Sep 19, 2007, 11:03 PM
This is fantastic! I surely hope they replace all of ours! New iPods FTW!

onionperson654
Sep 19, 2007, 11:19 PM
I hope it is in the stores tomorrow, I've been bitten by the tech bug bad on this one.

I'm a little worried about that myself. It's not that I don't think I'll love the device (at least post-screen problem) or that even though I know every spec I'll still by fascinated, I'm a little worried that after all of this time reading, discussing, and thinking about it, I know that the fun of having such a great gadget (btw, I've never had an iPod. Been using a palm for mp3s and waiting until a real (i.e. not 5.5) update) won't last as long.

On the other hand, the ability to watch video and have a great MP3 player around might slightly change everyday life, so in that regards it will be with me a LONG time.

Good luck onionperson I hope you get yours tomorrow as well too.

Thanks, you too (and all of the rest of you whom have been waiting in solidarity)!!!

aidanpendragon
Sep 19, 2007, 11:27 PM
Wonder if they will announce a serial # range for replacements? Almost have to, since "my screen looks bad" is so subjective.

Zwhaler
Sep 19, 2007, 11:30 PM
"Small number of units"... yeah right.

It's okay though, as long as my next one is okay.

Vikinguy
Sep 19, 2007, 11:32 PM
Yeah, they should be able to compile that list pretty quick if they know the problem exists and where it came from.

wizzracer
Sep 19, 2007, 11:44 PM
Yeah, they should be able to compile that list pretty quick if they know the problem exists and where it came from.

I'm sure it will be all those sold since last thursday. Which is all of them and a small number when you compare they will sell over 1 million in the next three months.

Remember we got ours before the actual release date.

Vikinguy
Sep 19, 2007, 11:50 PM
So, i suppose it would be best to wait a week or so to go get one?

onionperson654
Sep 19, 2007, 11:54 PM
So, i suppose it would be best to wait a week or so to go get one?

Or make sure you know the return policy (and restocking fee).

uburoibob
Sep 20, 2007, 12:08 AM
kind of a misleading title. And it doesn't rule out a software/firmware fix...

pushateg7
Sep 20, 2007, 12:18 AM
Nice just finished reading this article and watching the video. I hope there is more of an official announcement to come very soon. My target purchase date still stands at Sept. 28th (next payday) :cool:

csmitty
Sep 20, 2007, 12:29 AM
I was at an apple store this evening returning my 16gb. The "genius" (the way he handled an airport thingy before hand made me wonder) said apple has acknowledged it, like above. and that it was a contrast problem that they should be updating soon. I told him i wasn't very confident in that and would still like to return it. He said there would be a restocking fee and i told him that i feel like i should have to pay it. Then i talked to maybe the manager i dunno, who had no idea what the problem was but still got me a full refund which was nice. I was gonna get a nano as an exchange/surprise for someone but they came in while i was there. but anyways. seems like the problem should be fixed soon. So i had a little bit of grief but just persisted.

I found a great deal on a nano so i'm gonna play with that for a while. And once the touchs get resolved and some 3rd party apps and iphone apps get added i'll pick another on up. It will be missed as it was a beautiful device. :(

SirCrumpet
Sep 20, 2007, 12:37 AM
"Apple says this problem affected a small number of units and is being remedied. My two test units displayed beautiful images."

Excellent news - heres hoping it will be fixed for us international orderers and those which still haven't yet been "Prepared for shipment" or shipped ;)

hdhanani
Sep 20, 2007, 12:39 AM
Excellent news - heres hoping it will be fixed for us international orderers and those which still haven't yet been "Prepared for shipment" or shipped ;)

Oh yeah... I'm still at "not yet shipped" and it's calming to hear that apple acknowledged the problem and are fixing it... good news for Canadians for sure

Dijo John
Sep 20, 2007, 04:52 AM
Oh yeah... I'm still at "not yet shipped" and it's calming to hear that apple acknowledged the problem and are fixing it... good news for Canadians for sure

Me too.
Would be really convenient if I get a proper unit out of the box without needing to go through the hassle of conducting tests, adjusting images, returning the iPod and all that.

Markleshark
Sep 20, 2007, 06:14 AM
Glad they've seen there is a problem, by the time mine ships hopefully it'll be sorted.

Hurrah.

gloss
Sep 20, 2007, 07:26 AM
Yay, Mossberg.

Cloudane
Sep 20, 2007, 07:44 AM
Excellent :D

I wouldn't say they've "acknowledged" the issues until there's some sort of official announcement and resolution, but it's certainly a step in the right direction. I feel a lot more confident about keeping the order open.

For the first time I can think of, I'm happy about a slow despatch :p

iMJustAGuy
Sep 20, 2007, 09:02 AM
..........right, maybe compared to all of the touch units they every plan on selling, but from posters on this board it seemed greater than, say, 80% (although those with defective ipods are probably more likely to post).

Hopefully the rumor that Costco (or at least one Costco) will have them tomorrow is true, but considering no stores other than Best Buy and Apple have gotten them in, I'm not very optomistic.

On the other hand, I had a weekly meeting, and during it thought that this time next week, I'd probably have one in my pocket.:) (not really one for smiley faces, but keeping in the spirit on the top of this thread!)

Added: The article seemed to suggest that it was a hardware, not gamma shift, issue as there were a number of defective units. The software should all be the same, and one would have expected that if that was the issue, Apple would have fixed it already (they must have known about this issue since the first rumors of it came out.

sure but to tell you the truth, if i got mine and it was perfectly fine, I would probably not be posting or even coming to this forum right now..so WAY more people post about ipods with issues than those who dont have any issues..

Sean Dempsey
Sep 20, 2007, 09:48 AM
sure but to tell you the truth, if i got mine and it was perfectly fine, I would probably not be posting or even coming to this forum right now..so WAY more people post about ipods with issues than those who dont have any issues..

But MacRumors regulars who buy the iPod touch will probably post either way. So if out of all the people here to do get them, what percent is bad? It should still be a sample population to draw some stats from. If 100 mac forum posters buy the device, and 80 report a problem, there's little chance that we just so happened to buy the lemons. More than likely, the 80% (or whatever) rate can be generalized out, since we buy the same devices as the "non forum" people.

BiikeMike
Sep 20, 2007, 10:10 AM
Wirelessly posted (Treo: Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.1.8295/1710; en; U; ssr))

I have a "good" one, and I post here, what's that say about me?

I'm glad they said something, I just want them to fix it so we can stop starting 25 threads a day about the damn screen issue!

sdmiller
Sep 20, 2007, 10:17 AM
got my preorder this morning. No hissing or negative black problem. It seems perfect.

gkarris
Sep 20, 2007, 10:22 AM
got my preorder this morning. No hissing or negative black problem. It seems perfect.

Good things do come to those who wait!

caMi
Sep 20, 2007, 10:41 AM
Good things do come to those who wait!

Ya but I have seen a 100 users who first said their screen was fine to later come back and say I have a problem.

gkarris
Sep 20, 2007, 10:52 AM
Ya but I have seen a 100 users who first said their screen was fine to later come back and say I have a problem.

Those people didn't find out until they played a video with dark areas. I'm pretty sure, at least on this site, people know how to test and what to look for...

clevin
Sep 20, 2007, 10:52 AM
I'm return this one to BB this weekend anyway, I can always get a new one later. Not interested to exchange it at apple store, last time did exchange, the guy just run in and out of their storage, holding one without box, didn't even know if its a refurb unit.

Unless someone can tell me that I will be offerred a new box :D

madmaxmedia
Sep 20, 2007, 11:24 AM
I'm return this one to BB this weekend anyway, I can always get a new one later. Not interested to exchange it at apple store, last time did exchange, the guy just run in and out of their storage, holding one without box, didn't even know if its a refurb unit.

I made the same exact decision with my Best Buy unit. Because if Apple gives you a replacement unit with a different serial, you're screwed if you want to return it to Best Buy (they checked the serial number of the unit against the box label when I returned mine.) Better to just return, and let them work it out first.

I actually just pre-ordered one from Target (better price), which won't ship for a couple of weeks so should be enough time for the problem to be solved. And if its still not, I won't open the unit until the issue is solved.

spidey1703
Sep 20, 2007, 11:30 AM

What's the serial on yours? A guy on the Apple Discussion board got his pre-order this morning, a week 38 model, and he has NO defect!

Arisian
Sep 20, 2007, 11:46 AM
What's the serial on yours? A guy on the Apple Discussion board got his pre-order this morning, a week 38 model, and he has NO defect!

link please

cant find it on the apple forums

WILLDOGS
Sep 20, 2007, 11:50 AM
I still love my week 37 one LOL

onionperson654
Sep 20, 2007, 11:51 AM
Wirelessly posted (Treo: Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.1.8295/1710; en; U; ssr))

I have a "good" one, and I post here, what's that say about me?

Good for you!

I'm assuming from the lack of posts that no one has found an ipod touch in new retail stores yet? Too bad.

apachie2k
Sep 20, 2007, 01:06 PM
i just saw this artical on macworld.uk...

http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?newsid=19160

shoelessone
Sep 20, 2007, 01:21 PM
That is very good news :)

MacRumors
Sep 20, 2007, 01:24 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Walt Mossberg reviewed (http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20070920/apples-ipod-touch-is-a-beauty-of-a-player-short-on-battery-life/) the iPod touch and notes that its battery life falls short of the other iPods.

He also describes the screen issue (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/17/ipod-touch-negative-black-screen-issue/) that has affected "a small number of" iPod touch screens, and notes that Apple is addressing it:
Also, some early iPod Touch units have had defective screens, where images appeared too dark. Apple says this problem affected a small number of units and is being remedied. My two test units displayed beautiful images.
There's been no indication how many units have been affected, but an informal poll (http://www.macpolls.com/?poll_id=556) showed it affected 30% of iPod touch respondants. This is likely an overestimate as affected owners are more likely to seek out these forums/polls.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/20/apple-addressing-ipod-touch-screen-issue/)

Eidorian
Sep 20, 2007, 01:25 PM
30% sounds painful if true.

It appears to be a widespread problem given what I've seen. I'll stalk the outlet store online for refurbished iPods.

lexus
Sep 20, 2007, 01:26 PM
People always have something bad to say about new products

p0intblank
Sep 20, 2007, 01:29 PM
People always have something bad to say about new products

That's not necessarily a bad thing. With new products usually comes new problems. At least Apple is doing something about it.

philmo
Sep 20, 2007, 01:30 PM
Is there an easy way to tell if your iPod touch has this problem?

celavato
Sep 20, 2007, 01:31 PM
There's been no indication how many units have been affected, but an [url="http://www.macpolls.com/?poll_id=556"]informal poll (http://www.macrumors.com) showed it affected 30% of iPod touch respondants. This is likely an overestimate as affected owners are more likely to seek out these forums/polls.

I really wish MacRumors and the rest of the Mac Web would get the story right. It's not just the iPod touch, but also iPhones. Take a look at this photo. :(

dengar169
Sep 20, 2007, 01:35 PM
how about us ipod classic users? are our syncing issues being loooked at? :confused:

Arisian
Sep 20, 2007, 01:36 PM
they are still being aweful quiet about it all. I think everyone would like to know if they have a defective unit or not.

Im going to wait and see what happens with all of this. I have three weeks to take mine back, if nothing is said in three weeks I will be sorely disapointed...

thoughts?

apachie2k
Sep 20, 2007, 01:38 PM
there is no reason you should have to pay the 10% re-stocking fee, if your product is admitidally defective...

I would return it the latest possible, and if there is still no resolution, try to return it...

Mgkwho
Sep 20, 2007, 01:39 PM
That's disappointing about the battery life, if true...

-=|Mgkwho

adauge
Sep 20, 2007, 01:39 PM
they are still being aweful quiet about it all. I think everyone would like to know if they have a defective unit or not.

Im going to wait and see what happens with all of this. I have three weeks to take mine back, if nothing is said in three weeks I will be sorely disapointed...

thoughts?
Yea, I have 3 weeks before my extended warranty kicks in. I figure I'll take it back close to the end of the 3 weeks and then I'll have my extended warranty for after that.

bogman12
Sep 20, 2007, 01:42 PM
I really wish MacRumors and the rest of the Mac Web would get the story right. It's not just the iPod touch, but also iPhones. Take a look at this photo. :(

Techno: that's a horrible example. It is obvious from the picture that you are viewing the iPhone screen at an angle that distorts the colors on an LCD. I bet if you take a picture of the iPhone screen looking at it straight on, it would look fine.

The issue with the iPod Touch is that even when viewed, straight on(which should be the optimal viewing angle for an LCD) the negative black effect is still very visible.

I think some people are expecting too much out of LCD technology. It is not a mini Plasma screen people!

Walt's article made no mention on what apple plans on doing.. Are they willing to take back units with the bad screen? What about people who purchased it at Best Buy, like I did?

nemaslov
Sep 20, 2007, 01:43 PM
how about us ipod classic users? are our syncing issues being loooked at? :confused:

I have a 160GB classic with over 105GB of music. No sync or any other problem. The thing is beautiful!!! Had it almost two weeks now.

Arisian
Sep 20, 2007, 01:44 PM
I spoke with a bb employee and he said no restoking fee.... :)

atari1356
Sep 20, 2007, 01:45 PM

Yes. My iPhone purchased a couple of weeks ago has the problem as well.

Techno: that's a horrible example. It is obvious from the picture that you are viewing the iPhone screen at an angle that distorts the colors on an LCD. I bet if you take a picture of the iPhone screen looking at it straight on, it would look fine.

The issue with the iPod Touch is that even when viewed, straight on(which should be the optimal viewing angle for an LCD) the negative black effect is still very visible.

The example isn't the best, but the issue does exist on some iPhones. Mine has the negative black effect when viewed straight on. I noticed the problem on my iPhone even before the iPod Touches started shipping and people reported the problem.

CJD2112
Sep 20, 2007, 01:46 PM
Don't misunderstand me, I'm an Apple loyalist, but is anyone else getting the sense that Apple is biting off more than they can chew recently? With the release of so many new products; the iPhone, iPod Touch, revamped Mini and iPod Classic, iMac, Leopard, etc., coupled with Jobs' desire in keeping the company from getting "too big" with employee base, maybe they jumped the gun a little bit with all these pre-Holiday releases. Quality control seems to have taken a big hit, and quality has always been Apple's selling point.

Just a thought.

onionperson654
Sep 20, 2007, 01:57 PM
Thread moved to News Discussion- Wow, look at the increased traffic!

It looks (so far) as though week 38 (4th and 5th digits of serial number) models have had not screen issues, so this may have been taken care of.

Thread on week 38 models:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=358071

NOW, Apple just needs to come out and tell everyone with weeks 36/37 models to bring them back instead of just letting some people figure it out and others suffer.

fastbite
Sep 20, 2007, 01:59 PM
AHHHH! Just got one from Regent Street Apple store (the last one!) as a birthday present for my girl and I don't want to open the bloody thing and check if it's Ok or not... Also if I open it I may be tempted to keep it for myself.:rolleyes:

840quadra
Sep 20, 2007, 02:09 PM
just remember that those of us without problems are less likely to post about our experiences than those without . This is true with anything. Customer support rarely hears positive comments, mostly negative or complaints in any given industry.

840 responding from his iPod touch without screen issues.

hayesk
Sep 20, 2007, 02:14 PM
[/I]

People don't seek out forums to post about things that work. Do you want me to start a thread to say my Apple keyboard works just fine?

Although let me add to this thread - our iPod touch looks fine.

gugy
Sep 20, 2007, 02:16 PM
best place to buy is Costco IMHO. Their return policy (no questions asked) is 90 days for electronics, so you are safe for that period. After that if you encounter a problem you need to take to Apple.

Cloudane
Sep 20, 2007, 02:20 PM
Quality control seems to have taken a big hit, and quality has always been Apple's selling point.

I was starting to think this too, but they've resolved the screen issues within a week of them being reported... that's the Apple I knew and loved :D Pretty good quality control if you ask me. Everyone makes mistakes, it's how you resolve them.

It's looking like the Week 38 and onward models are all good so far (touch wood). I still have faith in the guys at Apple and am excited again instead of worried :)

People don't seek out forums to post about things that work. Do you want me to start a thread to say my Apple keyboard works just fine?

Heh :)

It's true though, in just about everything we only communicate to complain about things. Sometimes I think the world would be so much nicer if we all (and I'm no good at it either) pointed out the positive things a bit more. Tell people when they've done a good job instead of just what they're doing wrong or haven't done (my employer could learn a lot from that), tell companies when they're providing a great product/service, etc etc. Most of us are hopeless at it, which is a pity.

PS my Powerbook is still going strong after 4 years, it ain't perfect but on the whole a superb effort from Apple.

The guys at MacRumors are also doing a superb job keeping such a busy forum running smoothly, especially with all these new releases and announcements lately.

akac
Sep 20, 2007, 02:23 PM
Don't misunderstand me, I'm an Apple loyalist, but is anyone else getting the sense that Apple is biting off more than they can chew recently? With the release of so many new products; the iPhone, iPod Touch, revamped Mini and iPod Classic, iMac, Leopard, etc., coupled with Jobs' desire in keeping the company from getting "too big" with employee base, maybe they jumped the gun a little bit with all these pre-Holiday releases. Quality control seems to have taken a big hit, and quality has always been Apple's selling point.

Just a thought.

I don't think its Apple employees doing QA - its the factory that makes them that they outsourced.

cliffjumper68
Sep 20, 2007, 02:28 PM
I am still trying to find one that is not affected by these "faulty screens".

gkarris
Sep 20, 2007, 02:28 PM

Ouch dude. What model and when did you get it? I got my 4Gig last week and it's flawless. I assume the 4Gig are the left-overs from launch that no one wanted.

Interesting how the one "no one wants" is the one that works just fine...

CJD2112
Sep 20, 2007, 02:40 PM
I was starting to think this too, but they've resolved the screen issues within a week of them being reported... that's the Apple I knew and loved :D Pretty good quality control if you ask me. Everyone makes mistakes, it's how you resolve them.

It's looking like the Week 38 and onward models are all good so far (touch wood). I still have faith in the guys at Apple and am excited again instead of worried :)

Good point. They're a growing company now, much more so than ever, and every growing company has growing pains (and I liked your "touch wood" comment lol, cute).

animenick65
Sep 20, 2007, 02:41 PM
How do I find out my week number?

robPOD
Sep 20, 2007, 02:50 PM
Sweeeeeeet, this is very good, Good on ya Apple for doing the decent thing and not sweeping it under the carpet.

pushateg7
Sep 20, 2007, 02:53 PM
I now feel more confident with these articles and reports of better screens on the newer models.

I very excite! :eek:

Football1maniac
Sep 20, 2007, 02:55 PM
I have a week 37 iPod from Best Buy and it works perfectally. No clarity problems with playing videos and what not. I love it and people comment every time they see me with it. :apple:

twoodcc
Sep 20, 2007, 02:58 PM
i knew apple would come through

overcast
Sep 20, 2007, 02:58 PM

Surely you understand that people voice up ONLY when there is something wrong. Especially forums on the internet. How often do you see large threads created of people saying how much they love their new products. No, they are too busy enjoying them.

I mean come on man, use your head.

animenick65
Sep 20, 2007, 03:00 PM
How do I find out what week iPod I have. I'm suspecting screen issues.

majordude
Sep 20, 2007, 03:11 PM
You know, I was thinking about the quality issues Apple has been having as of late. Yellow screens, dead pixels, bleeding pixels, heat problems, negative black issues...

And I thought to myself... doesn't anyone look at any of these things before they make (or ship) a bazillion of them? :eek:

And then I saw the new ad for the Nano. "1, 2, 3, 4..." white Nano, red Nano, green Nano, gray Nano, blue Nano, black Nano, white Nano, red Nano, blue Nano, black Nano, white Nano, blue Nano, green... WAIT!

An UPSIDE DOWN green Nano!

How the hell does THAT that past QC?! They can't even quality control their TV ad! :D

gkarris
Sep 20, 2007, 03:17 PM
Is there an easy way to tell if your iPod touch has this problem?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=356695

KingofAwesome
Sep 20, 2007, 03:23 PM
You know, I was thinking about the quality issues Apple has been having as of late. Yellow screens, dead pixels, bleeding pixels, heat problems, negative black issues...

And I thought to myself... doesn't anyone look at any of these things before they make (or ship) a bazillion of them? :eek:

And then I saw the new ad for the Nano. "1, 2, 3, 4..." white Nano, red Nano, green Nano, gray Nano, blue Nano, black Nano, white Nano, red Nano, blue Nano, black Nano, white Nano, blue Nano, green... WAIT!

An UPSIDE DOWN green Nano!

How the hell does THAT that past QC?! They can't even quality control their TV ad! :D

You know, my 5.5G iPod had that problem one time. Everything was upside down - the screen, the wheel, the text on the back, and the headphone jack was all stretched out and covering the hold slider (I think). Even doing a reset wouldn't help. My friend said I should drain the battery and then it should get fixed - easy enough, since the dock connector disappeared too.

So I set it to play (difficult when all the controls have moved around) and left it in the back seat of my car while I was at work. And believe it or not, when I came back to my car after work, there it was, no longer upside down.

I'm surprised that Apple's support forums don't have more info on this.

rhpenguin
Sep 20, 2007, 03:27 PM
Ive been running OS X on my *gasp* AMD processor for about 6 months now... now that is the real monster here...

Arisian

Rawk on! Im not running it on an AMD, but I am running on some beastly hardware :P

...Anywho, on to the topic at hand. Glad this is going to be hashed out. I canceled my preorder and then opted just to wait a bit before I even knew that there was a problem. Hopefully by November everything is peachy :)

La Porta
Sep 20, 2007, 03:30 PM
I'm actially happy that mine still hasn't shipped (ordered it on the 9th). Maybe there is hope for getting a normal one out of my original order after all!

lightwave300k
Sep 20, 2007, 03:49 PM
i had ordered a 8Gb ipod touch the day it was announced but till now my iPod touch has not shipped. does anyone have any idea whats happening or when will it start shipping

sjsutton
Sep 20, 2007, 03:55 PM
Of course Apple sent Walt a champion unit without flaws.

Cloudane
Sep 20, 2007, 03:55 PM
Hahaha. Bunch of comedians :D

I too am glad there was a delay in shipping, I've never been so glad to have been patient. However, now that it seems to be sorted, and they're looking awesome, I'm getting impatient again!!

iDAG
Sep 20, 2007, 04:00 PM
If the screen issue is fixed then I may not be afraid to get one anymore. But is it still a bad idea to buy a 1.0 product? Should the iPod touch be treated as a 1.0 product?:confused:

celavato
Sep 20, 2007, 04:02 PM

Uhm, I'm the one who owns this phone. Thank you for your conjecture, but I think I know what I see every day when I play videos.

Cloudane
Sep 20, 2007, 04:02 PM
If the screen issue is fixed then I may not be afraid to get one anymore. But is it still a bad idea to buy a 1.0 product? Should the iPod touch be treated as a 1.0 product?:confused:

It's always a bad idea to buy 1.0 products (regardless of manufacturer). Not that it's stopping me this time, it seems!

However since it's basically a modified iPhone, I'm seeing it as more of a 1.1 product. If you want to play it safe though, wait for 1.2 :)

A Pittarelli
Sep 20, 2007, 04:08 PM
i agree that the iphone was 1.0 product, if you want to play it safe get an ipod classic with its 50 hours of music playback. buy the touch if you want to use safari

O and A
Sep 20, 2007, 04:09 PM

highly doubt they have any refurb units this early in its life.

Genius bar told me they will contact me this week when they have replacement touches because mine has about 2 dozen dead plixels and the negative black issue as well. I have a case number and all.

Mine was also manufactured in week 37.

hayesk
Sep 20, 2007, 04:09 PM
Uhm, I'm the one who owns this phone. Thank you for your conjecture, but I think I know what I see every day when I play videos.

Then why did you post the picture of the phone at all? Obviously you felt you needed to post a photo to back up your claim at the time, so why do you now feel that "Uhm, I'm the one who owns this phone" is enough to support your claim?

Not that we don't necessarily believe you, although you are the only one to report it happening on the iPhone. But why not post a proper picture and remove all doubt?

atari1356
Sep 20, 2007, 04:13 PM
you are the only one to report it happening on the iPhone. But why not post a proper picture and remove all doubt?

No, he's not the only one to report it happening on the iPhone.

See this thread:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=358122

drater
Sep 20, 2007, 04:30 PM
not sure if this article was posted, but here ya go: http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/20/apple-fesses-up-to-faulty-ipod-touch-screens/

celavato
Sep 20, 2007, 04:39 PM
Ouch dude. What model and when did you get it? I got my 4Gig last week and it's flawless. I assume the 4Gig are the left-overs from launch that no one wanted. Interesting how the one "no one wants" is the one that works just fine...

It's the 8 GB model with a "7" screen. I'm bringing it back this weekend now that the Geniuses will know what I'm talking about (thank you iPod touch).

celavato
Sep 20, 2007, 04:46 PM
Then why did you post the picture of the phone at all? Obviously you felt you needed to post a photo to back up your claim at the time, so why do you now feel that "Uhm, I'm the one who owns this phone" is enough to support your claim?

I posted the photo because the Mac Web has only reported this issue with regard to the touch. I've written about the iPhone's screen problems before without a photo. I thought the photo would have more of an impact than just words -- and clearly it has.

As Atari noted, others have reported and shown this issue on the iPhone. My theory is that later-model iPhones are more likely to have this problem than earlier iterations, and that the iPod touch is even more likely to have it than later-model iPhones. Apple will eventually sort it out and this thread will become a distant memory like the "pink" Cinema Displays three years ago.

For the record, I consider the iPhone the best gadget I've ever owned. I just want a screen on which I can watch dark scenes in videos. Read my review: http://blog.technolawyer.com/2007/08/iphone-the-defi.html.

I hope in the future when a Mac Rumors member reports a problem, provides proof, and links to his employer's Web site in his profile, you will take his word. I could understand doubting an anonymous post, but I do not post here anonymously.

Virgil-TB2
Sep 20, 2007, 04:48 PM
..........right, maybe compared to all of the touch units they every plan on selling, but from posters on this board it seemed greater than, say, 80% (although those with defective ipods are probably more likely to post)....I find this a bit over the top.
On what are you basing this "80%" stuff?

Mossberg and Apple say "a small number" and AI says that some estimates based on forum posts think maybe 30%, but probably less. Now you say 80% based on... what exactly?

I would doubt that its even 30% because as we all know people with a complaint seek out the forums, and also people tend to lie, exaggerate and "jump on the bandwagon" in cases like this even though they may not actually be affected at all.

By bandying about this 80% figure you are just pushing wild exaggerations at best. At worst, this is no different from the kind of trolls and FUD one expects from Microsoft supporters, not anyone with a real point to address.

Do you have any actual facts? Or are you just bad-talking Apple for your "ten minutes of internet fame?"

Jetson
Sep 20, 2007, 04:57 PM
I was at an apple store this evening returning my 16gb. The "genius" (the way he handled an airport thingy before hand made me wonder) said apple has acknowledged it, like above. and that it was a contrast problem that they should be updating soon. I told him i wasn't very confident in that and would still like to return it. He said there would be a restocking fee and i told him that i feel like i should have to pay it. Then i talked to maybe the manager i dunno, who had no idea what the problem was but still got me a full refund which was nice. I was gonna get a nano as an exchange/surprise for someone but they came in while i was there. but anyways. seems like the problem should be fixed soon. So i had a little bit of grief but just persisted.

I get frustrated by Apple's poor customer service policies. What kind of clod tries to charge the customer a restocking fee for returning a defective product? Apple, pull your head out of your arse.

celavato
Sep 20, 2007, 05:09 PM
I get frustrated by Apple's poor customer service policies. What kind of clod tries to charge the customer a restocking fee for returning a defective product? Apple, pull your head out of your arse.

Not every screen is defective. Why not get a replacement instead of returning it? Apple won't charge you for that.

Cloudane
Sep 20, 2007, 05:11 PM

I agree, kind of. But I'd expect no less from *any* retail store (I use stores as an easier example - online ordering is a whole different ball game and much worse). Until very recently (Apple's acknowledgement) I doubt any of the Apple Store employees would've known about the issue; after all they're unlikely to be MacRumors geeks and no sensible company would admit to a problem even to their own support staff before thoroughly checking it out.

Because the stores are so well-lit, and unless you play something dark it's not an issue, it's not something they would've picked up on themselves either.

What this means is that you go in and it's your word against theirs. Some employees are more intellingent than others. But they're usually asked to try and avoid replacements where they're difficult to prove, which in the end actually keeps the cost of the product down for everyone.

Is it wrong that customers with faulty iPods were forced to pay a restock fee to give them back? Absolutely. Was it avoidable though? Unlikely. Hopefully Apple will do the Right Thing again and refund the restock fees for faulty units.

TurboSC
Sep 20, 2007, 05:20 PM
With such a product, Apple made the right move to remedy the problem before it became one of those things that destroy the marketing image of the product.

CJM
Sep 20, 2007, 05:35 PM
Well that's okay then, because I just bought mine this evening :)

whatever
Sep 20, 2007, 05:43 PM
Wonderful! Specifics are far better than random rumors.

I tried searching for 237352 on Costco's website under search by item number with no success. I'll try again tomorrow, although I hope I'm not getting my hopes up too high. Plus, because Costco sells them slightly cheaper, they don't list their prices, and you can't order them online (or at least have them shipped), so even if the touch doesn't show up (they still have the last generation listed under ipods) it could mean nothing. Arggg, just more ambiguities.

(even for those not buying at Costco, its a good sign that the touch will be availible before the 28th. The typhoon in Singapore, however, is not the best sign for early releases, although I feel somewhat selfish for considering that when people could by dying/loosing their homes)
I as at an Apple store last night and all though they had iPod Touches on demo, they did not have any in stock. They've been selling them out as fast as they were getting them in.
I can't believe how much smaller they are than the iPhone

Macbear
Sep 20, 2007, 06:50 PM
I bought two 16 gig touches last Friday at the Walden Galleria Apple Store in Buffalo. (One for me, on for my spouse) One of them is perfect... the other, display issues. I called Apple technical support today, and explained that there was clearly a fault in the one unit. Eventually, after much "troubleshooting", they have decided to send a replacement unit. When it arrives, I just have to ship the faulty one back. Nice of them to send the replacement first, instead of having to wait.

MrCrowbar
Sep 20, 2007, 06:59 PM
I bought two 16 gig touches last Friday at the Walden Galleria Apple Store in Buffalo. (One for me, on for my spouse) One of them is perfect... the other, display issues. I called Apple technical support today, and explained that there was clearly a fault in the one unit. Eventually, after much "troubleshooting", they have decided to send a replacement unit. When it arrives, I just have to ship the faulty one back. Nice of them to send the replacement first, instead of having to wait.

Ya, Apple ships replacement and you give them the old stuff afterwards. I've done it several times with my iPod earbuds. Those new ones crap out really fast.

grovertdog
Sep 20, 2007, 07:53 PM
...preordered the day Jobs announced the touch, received the engraved 16GB iPod today- no video issues whatsoever, audio is fine. Relieved I was worrying over nothing.:o

majordude
Sep 20, 2007, 08:05 PM
...preordered the day Jobs announced the touch, received the engraved 16GB iPod today- no video issues whatsoever, audio is fine. Relieved I was worrying over nothing.:o

You've got balls! :cool:

I wonder if they would take back an engraved iPod due to "cosmetic" issues.

grovertdog
Sep 20, 2007, 08:20 PM
You've got balls! :cool:

I wonder if they would take back an engraved iPod due to "cosmetic" issues.

Believe me bro, I was sweating this one!
Then again, if I never visited these forums, I never would have been educated enough to worry, so I am not sure what that means...:confused:

majordude
Sep 20, 2007, 08:24 PM
Believe me bro, I was sweating this one!
Then again, if I never visited these forums, I never would have been educated enough to worry, so I am not sure what that means...:confused:

Its the lifting of the veil. The day you buy the rare yellow Mustang is the same day you realize that every other car is a yellow Mustang. Strange. :eek:

grovertdog
Sep 20, 2007, 08:47 PM
Its the lifting of the veil. The day you buy the rare yellow Mustang is the same day you realize that every other car is a yellow Mustang. Strange. :eek:

Well said. Much like those damn circles that signify the end of a film reel/reel change in a movie theatre-- once you've looked, you never not see them.

majordude
Sep 20, 2007, 09:03 PM
Well said. Much like those damn circles that signify the end of a film reel/reel change in a movie theatre-- once you've looked, you never not see them.

LOL! :p

Or your tongue! You never realize that there is this big fat muscly thing in your mouth until you think about it. And then you can't stop thinking about it banging on your teeth, the roof of your mouth, swelling because you are thirsty...

If you think about it it's sort of creepy.

Ugh! :eek:

grovertdog
Sep 20, 2007, 09:40 PM
LOL! :p

Or your tongue! You never realize that there is this big fat muscly thing in your mouth until you think about it. And then you can't stop thinking about it banging on your teeth, the roof of your mouth, swelling because you are thirsty...

If you think about it it's sort of creepy.

Ugh! :eek:
I'd better quit if I want to have any chance to sleep tonight...:eek:

peletrane
Sep 20, 2007, 10:13 PM
Ya, Apple ships replacement and you give them the old stuff afterwards. I've done it several times with my iPod earbuds. Those new ones crap out really fast.

As an aside, I can't believe people use those aweful earbuds! I highly recommend the Shure E2s (sound-isolating) earphones; they cost about $100, but are well worth it. You hear a lot more and can keep the volume low.

They will significantly enhance your listening experience! And I think the Shure lines have been updated.

Amygdaloid
Sep 20, 2007, 10:35 PM
My touch has the dreaded video problem we all enjoy talking about, but that isn't the weird part. I was looking at the Italian Job on the touch lst night, examining just how bad the dark scenes are. I stopped the video on a scene with Donald Sutherland towrds the beginning of the movie. Today, after hearing that Apple was fessing up on this, i thought I'll sync the touch and check for any software updates just in case.

Well there wasn't any updates, but after i ejected the touch, I started up the Italian Job again, and check out what it looked like in the attachment on the left! Every dark scene in every video I had on the touch was now full of wild colors (reds, gcyans, oranges) in exactly the areas that used to be "negative ghosts". Has anyone else seen this happen?

I turned off the touch, and it went back to the familiar old problem again (as shown on the right) when I restarted it. So strange...

majordude
Sep 20, 2007, 10:54 PM
Well there wasn't any updates, but after i ejected the touch, I started up the Italian Job again, and check out what it looked like in the attachment on the left! Every dark scene in every video I had on the touch was now full of wild colors (reds, gcyans, oranges) in exactly the areas that used to be "negative ghosts".

Hallelujah! Praise Steve Jobs! It's a miracle! Your iTouch has been heee-illed! Hallelujah! :apple:

Please pass the collection plate...

Scarpad
Sep 21, 2007, 05:43 AM
It's always a bad idea to buy 1.0 products (regardless of manufacturer). Not that it's stopping me this time, it seems!

However since it's basically a modified iPhone, I'm seeing it as more of a 1.1 product. If you want to play it safe though, wait for 1.2 :)

I decided to wait and will get one at christmas time, things will shake out by then, and maybe we'll even get an Idea when a 32gb version will be available

whiteboytrash
Sep 21, 2007, 07:19 AM
If you turn "auto-brightness" off the problem is rectified.

My touch has the dreaded video problem we all enjoy talking about, but that isn't the weird part. I was looking at the Italian Job on the touch lst night, examining just how bad the dark scenes are. I stopped the video on a scene with Donald Sutherland towrds the beginning of the movie. Today, after hearing that Apple was fessing up on this, i thought I'll sync the touch and check for any software updates just in case.

Well there wasn't any updates, but after i ejected the touch, I started up the Italian Job again, and check out what it looked like in the attachment on the left! Every dark scene in every video I had on the touch was now full of wild colors (reds, gcyans, oranges) in exactly the areas that used to be "negative ghosts". Has anyone else seen this happen?

I turned off the touch, and it went back to the familiar old problem again (as shown on the right) when I restarted it. So strange...

Spanna
Sep 21, 2007, 08:23 AM
Has anyone got hold of one of these things in Australia yet? (or seen one)

bretm
Sep 21, 2007, 09:43 AM
good. It's called the iPod touch, and the problem was with the "touch screen." Seems like an important issue to fix.

NOW... maybe they'll feel that the iPHONE is worthy of fixing the PHONE part of the product. Mainly, the inaudible volume of the speaker, speakerphone, and bad quality of headset.

But Version 1.1.1 has no real mention of that. Maybe it'll just get "fixed."

vwcruisn
Sep 21, 2007, 08:53 PM
I have experienced the Touch's poor video quality "negative effect". I went to return it to the Apple store to swap it out for a new one, only to be turned away. I made a phone call to Apple corporate, followed by one to Apple Care, yet both stated that they were not willing to swap out my defective unit for a new one. I stayed in the store for over an hour, demanding something be done- no one was willing to help out AT ALL!!! Finally, they gave me a full refund (including the 10% restocking fee) just to get me out of the store. If your Touch is experiencing this problem, be strong- demand they swap it out!! I have heard that the models with the image of Macy Gray on the cover have a better video quality, as compared to my early model. Check the serial number- if it is #9C738 (etc.) or higher the video quality should be improved. If it is one like mine with serial number #9C737 (etc.) or lower, check to see if your screen has the same problem. Good luck with swapping out the faulty Touches!!

fishoutofagua
Sep 23, 2007, 08:58 PM
can it be fixed?

Luap
Sep 23, 2007, 10:39 PM
I wish Apple would fess up to the notorious freezing new iMacs too.... :rolleyes:

celavato
Oct 15, 2007, 10:45 PM

I just wanted to report that I took my iPhone to the Apple Store and showed a Genius the Fountains of Wayne video Someone to Love. He looked at it for three seconds and then turned around and handed me a new iPhone (after swapping out the SIM card). Literally no questions asked.

What's the moral of this story? Don't argue with an eye witness. If I tell you my iPhone has a defective screen, take my word for it because I'm the one looking at the screen. :D

The best screen test I've seen is at AppleServedUp.com, which I didn't even have to use at the Apple Store. My old iPhone failed that test miserably. My new iPhone passed with flying colors. Thank you Apple. :)

queshy
Oct 15, 2007, 11:04 PM
I went through 6 iPod touches and none of them had the black screen issue...but ALL of them had >1 stuck pixels.