PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosia's iToner Updated to 1.0.2

MacRumors
Sep 21, 2007, 06:28 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

The latest version of Ambrosia's iToner (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/itoner/) Ringtone installer for the Mac has been updated to 1.0.2. The new update provides the following features/changes:

- More robust iTunes 7.4.x support
- Fixes an issue where iTunes ringtones might not properly sync
- Improved handling of playlists, again
- GUI improvements
- Other bug fixes and enhancements

The $15 shareware application provides a hassle free method to install your own Ringtones from AAC or MP3 files that has been resistant to Apple's recent iTunes upgrades.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/09/21/ambrosias-itoner-updated-to-1-0-2/)

thejadedmonkey
Sep 21, 2007, 06:38 PM
The $15 shareware application provides a hassle free method to install your own Ringtones from AAC or MP3 files that has been resistant to Apple's recent iTunes upgrades.

In completely unrelated news, Apple inc. has updated iTunes to version 7.4.3. This version breaks iToner ringtone support improves ringtone support and includes bug fixes to improve stability and performance.

yoman
Sep 21, 2007, 09:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

In completely unrelated news, Apple inc. has updated iTunes to version 7.4.3. This version breaks iToner ringtone support improves ringtone support and includes bug fixes to improve stability and performance.

That was a good one. If only Apple released updates as quickly for more substantial fixes and feature add-ons.

chr1s60
Sep 21, 2007, 11:56 PM
I honestly don't think Apple cares about programs like iToner because people actually pay money to use them. I think they are more concerned with programs that allow everything to be free. I enjoy iToner, I hope they come out with a new version soon that allows us to edit songs before syncing. I know how to edit in other programs, it would just be easier to do it all in one app.

Danny Futuro
Sep 22, 2007, 02:12 AM
I honestly don't think Apple cares about programs like iToner because people actually pay money to use them. I think they are more concerned with programs that allow everything to be free. I enjoy iToner, I hope they come out with a new version soon that allows us to edit songs before syncing. I know how to edit in other programs, it would just be easier to do it all in one app.

+1

I took the plunge and bought iToner today, and submitted a suggestion to them about editing features. I would gladly pay a nominal upgrade fee for an "iToner Pro." Ambrosia has a potential grand-slam home run with such an app.

Kingsly
Sep 22, 2007, 01:59 PM
Does iToner constitute a crack or hack on the iPhone? Will I be refused service? :confused: :o

chr1s60
Sep 22, 2007, 02:34 PM
Does iToner constitute a crack or hack on the iPhone? Will I be refused service? :confused: :o

It does not hack the iPhone. It syncs just like it does in order to add music or video to the phone.

ichris2
Sep 23, 2007, 08:07 AM
I ran iToner in trial mode and synced a few ringtones very easily. The program says the trial works for 30 days, but the next day when I decided to add another ringtone it won't let me...the dropzone thats says drag your ringtones here only shows for about a second then disappears and come up on a list of ringtones I've synced when I start the program....anyone else have this issue with the trial?

Fiveos22
Sep 23, 2007, 03:03 PM

Uhhh...you mean you can't already freely make ringtones in iTunes? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=350760)

chr1s60
Sep 23, 2007, 05:27 PM
Uhhh...you mean you can't already freely make ringtones in iTunes? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=350760)

Uhhh... we are talking about ringtones for iPhone that sync to it. This tells me how to edit a song, something I already know how to do in multiple programs. I said for iToner to allow editing to make it easier so I could edit and immediately sync. An editing option in iToner could also add tools such as fading in or out. Your article doesn't help with either.

moki
Sep 24, 2007, 08:01 AM
Uhhh... we are talking about ringtones for iPhone that sync to it. This tells me how to edit a song, something I already know how to do in multiple programs. I said for iToner to allow editing to make it easier so I could edit and immediately sync. An editing option in iToner could also add tools such as fading in or out. Your article doesn't help with either.

So just to give you an idea of what we're thinking regarding iToner, here it goes. The first few weeks of iToner's existence were all about survival. We wanted to ensure that iToner continued to work with iTunes updates, and burned the midnight oil to ensure that happened.

I think a good indication of how we did is that when Apple updated iTunes from 7.4.1 to 7.4.2, they broke all of the other non-Jailbreak techniques for putting ringtones on your iPhone, but iToner continued to work unmodified.

With a sigh of relief, we then cleaned up a few things, adding a bit more spiff to the interface, and released iToner 1.0.2 just recently.

So what does the future hold for iToner? Now that the update scrambling is seemingly over, we're thinking about the following features:

-- Adding bluetooth support, so that iToner will work with any cell phone that has bluetooth. Instead of being limited to uploading ringtones to iPhones, it'd then work with just about any phone.

-- Editing/cropping ringtones. It's something we absolutely want to be able to do. Drag a song over, and iToner lets you pick what part of it to use as a ringtone. This opens up a can of worms that I won't get into here, but suffice it to say that because of the transcoding that's required, it'll be a bit of work to do it right. And we do always try to do things right

-- Going along with the above, we'd also like to be able to transcode the ringtones into bitrates more suitable for iPhone ringtones, convert them to mono, and optionally boost the dynamic range of the ringtones so that they will sound more crisp and clear on the iPhone's build in speaker.

-- Bundling ringtones! We'd like to be able to ship the product with a bunch of cool ringtones people can choose from. This means licensing a quality sound library, something we've been looking into.

More than anything else, we fully intend to keep the elegant simplicity of the product, rather than bloat it with esoteric features. Drag, Drop, Sync... if we make it harder than that to use, we've failed in my opinion.

There's no timetable on any of these improvements, but I just wanted to let folks here know what we're considering for the product.

MarceePauff
Sep 24, 2007, 09:23 AM
Hey Andrew,
Could I just add one more request? (Not that you don't already have enough to do, I know.) When "hacking", I was able to swap out my "newmail.caf" and "newsmsmessage.caf" sounds. It would be nice to have that option with iToner as well.

Thanks for your software and your immediate support!

-- Marcee

pjo
Sep 24, 2007, 09:28 AM
So just to give you an idea of what we're thinking regarding iToner, here it goes.

I must say it's pretty unique (and brave) for a software developer to keep posting on a mac fanatic site :)

I personally think iToner is worth paying for. Keep up the good work.

chr1s60
Sep 24, 2007, 10:16 AM
So just to give you an idea of what we're thinking regarding iToner, here it goes. The first few weeks of iToner's existence were all about survival. We wanted to ensure that iToner continued to work with iTunes updates, and burned the midnight oil to ensure that happened.

There's no timetable on any of these improvements, but I just wanted to let folks here know what we're considering for the product.

All those ideas sound great. I also love how simple iToner is. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with in the future to make the product even better.

moki
Sep 24, 2007, 04:43 PM
Hey Andrew,
Could I just add one more request? (Not that you don't already have enough to do, I know.) When "hacking", I was able to swap out my "newmail.caf" and "newsmsmessage.caf" sounds. It would be nice to have that option with iToner as well.

Thanks for your software and your immediate support!

-- Marcee

Here's the problem with that. The sounds that they use for things like "new mail", etc. are in the OS-portion of the phone. Any changes you want to make to that portion of the phone require a "jailbreak" style intrusion, and they will also be wiped out when a new iPhone OS comes out.

There are a lot of nifty things we'd like to do, but we don't want to do them in such a way that it'll end up being a headache for the users of our product. Unless we find a more robust, safe way to do the type of thing you're requesting, I can't promise we'll do them.

MarceePauff
Sep 26, 2007, 05:23 PM
Fair enough. Thanks for the feedback. :)

shadowboxer
Sep 27, 2007, 03:11 PM
OK, the new update is out today,
do the itoner ringtones remain intact????????

EDIT/UPDATE: read through this enormous thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=361335&page=11 and at least two people indicate itoner rintones remain intact after 1.1.1 update and nobody mentions them being gone.

YEA!!!

MacUser4_20
Sep 27, 2007, 03:45 PM
moki, and news on it working before we update?

Thanks.

Hopstretch
Sep 27, 2007, 04:00 PM
OK, the new update is out today,
do the itoner ringtones remain intact????????

EDIT/UPDATE: read through this enormous thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=361335&page=11 and at least two people indicate itoner rintones remain intact after 1.1.1 update and nobody mentions them being gone.

YEA!!!
Yes, the iToner ringtones are still there, but here's the rub -- the phone can't see them anymore and so they won't play. Long story short, Apple has managed to disable iToner for the moment.

moki
Sep 27, 2007, 04:20 PM
Here's what we know. It looks like Apple is locking down the iPhone with encryption and signing, the same way they locked down the iPod Touch. We're working to see what we can find out, if there is a way around it, we will find it.

But this is not a good curve that Apple has thrown at us.

PupnTaco
Sep 27, 2007, 04:23 PM
Thanks for keeping us posted, Andrew. iToner is simply the best solution out there (natch)... fingers crossed for a fix.

moki
Sep 27, 2007, 04:27 PM
Thanks for keeping us posted, Andrew. iToner is simply the best solution out there (natch)... fingers crossed for a fix.

You have no idea how much we want to get this fixed. We are going to be burning the midnight oil trying to figure it out.

TurboSC
Sep 27, 2007, 04:30 PM
You have no idea how much we want to get this fixed. We are going to be burning the midnight oil trying to figure it out.

good luck to you my friend, your application warms us all :)

MacUser4_20
Sep 27, 2007, 04:32 PM
You have no idea how much the Mac community appreciates your willingness to burn it! We have seen you do it before and no doubt you will do it again! Thanks!

Chris Welch
Sep 27, 2007, 04:37 PM
I'm extremely disappointed Apple is going down this encryption road.

HUGE thumbs down to you, Cupertino.

moki
Sep 27, 2007, 04:42 PM

I want to be clear that we're still in the beginning stages of our investigation. Some of what I've mentioned may end up being wrong; as soon as we know more, I will inform you.

It is going to be a long night.

shadowfax
Sep 27, 2007, 06:11 PM

Andrew, absolutely the best luck to you. I will definitely be buying iToner if you guys get around this! I've got my fingers crossed that the iPhone dev team comes up with a way to do the same kind of thing.

And I agree about thumbs down to Apple for this. Phil Schiller can stick his silly old mullet up his rear! "Not going to try to stop 3rd party hackers," my foot! What a jackass.

/dev/toaster
Sep 27, 2007, 06:36 PM
If Apple really did head down the ugly road of only running signed apps ... then I will be rather pissed. Of course, there are really no 3rd party apps that I _need_. However, I don't enjoy being forced to use the default version of things. Apple, if you are reading this ... wake up, it will only force customers away.

Sad day, very sad day. I was really looking forward to this update. I am in a holding pattern for now until more info is available on this all.

Wyvernspirit
Sep 27, 2007, 06:47 PM
I have updated, and my tones are still there, but I dare not try to change them as I have heard that this will make them disappear. Hopefully ambrosia can fix this before they disappear on me as the probably will do in a couple days. :(

Already a paid member so definitely hope its fixed soon, for that and I hate the sound level of the built in ringtones. They need to be lauder.

:rolleyes:

plumbingandtech
Sep 27, 2007, 06:54 PM

And if encryption is the method they are choosing to possibly solve security issues (buffer overflows) ...

Is that still bad?

Cinemagic
Sep 27, 2007, 08:07 PM
iToner is the best app for the iPhone hands down. I used to think of Apple as the "good guys". Unfortunately it seems that Steve Jobs is trying to get ahead of Bill Gates as the computer world's biggest dick.

Much thanks to Ambrosia Software for their efforts. I am proud to have supported them by purchasing their products.

stonedgrace
Sep 27, 2007, 08:59 PM
I dont know if this is the right place to post this, or if this is constructive to whats going on. I am still using iTunes 7.4.0 and I can still use the original hacking method of just changing the extension to .m4r to put ringtones on the phone. Or maybe I'm not, I cant tell. iTunes says its copying them, they show up in the list, but they dont play. The free space changes so it appears that they are being moved to the phone.

So what is the difference between a purchased ringtone and one you make yourself?

iDriveX
Sep 27, 2007, 09:36 PM
So what is the difference between a purchased ringtone and one you make yourself?

That's the million dollar question :)

Because the second you can figure that one out, is the second you can make all of your ringtones look like purchased ringtones and then the iPhone will never know the difference.

I have a gut feeling that since all Ringtones come from DRM'd iTunes Music, that there's DRM in the ringtone and that the iPhone will only play DRM'd ringtones. And until someone can come up with a way of reverse engineering and applying Apple's DRM at will....it's going to be a long time before we see custom ringtones.

BUT as soon as we hack this ringtone issue, Apple will be forced to respond by issuing yet another iTunes and Firmware update. And the only way they can get people to upgrade is if they add amazing features that people want. So as soon as Ambrosia is done upgrading iToner to 1.0.3 maybe we'll get right click support :-D

martinmartin
Sep 27, 2007, 09:43 PM
another paying itoner customer here. Hoping ambrosia and team can figure out once again how to get things working.

We'll eagerly be waiting... Best of luck.

stonedgrace
Sep 27, 2007, 10:00 PM
That's the million dollar question :)

Because the second you can figure that one out, is the second you can make all of your ringtones look like purchased ringtones and then the iPhone will never know the difference.

I have a gut feeling that since all Ringtones come from DRM'd iTunes Music, that there's DRM in the ringtone and that the iPhone will only play DRM'd ringtones. And until someone can come up with a way of reverse engineering and applying Apple's DRM at will....it's going to be a long time before we see custom ringtones.

BUT as soon as we hack this ringtone issue, Apple will be forced to respond by issuing yet another iTunes and Firmware update. And the only way they can get people to upgrade is if they add amazing features that people want. So as soon as Ambrosia is done upgrading iToner to 1.0.3 maybe we'll get right click support :-D

Well I'm kinda stuck because I cant buy a ringtone with 7.4.0 to see what the difference might be.
What I do know is that I CAN move ringtones to the phone with iTunes 7.4.0 and the original hack, they just dont play.
I can NOT even put ringtones on with iToner right now.

iDriveX
Sep 27, 2007, 10:06 PM
Well I'm kinda stuck because I cant buy a ringtone with 7.4.0 to see what the difference might be.
What I do know is that I CAN move ringtones to the phone with iTunes 7.4.0 and the original hack, they just dont play.
I can NOT even put ringtones on with iToner right now.

Find a copy of 7.4.1 and you'll have the best of both worlds. The ability to create custom ringtones, the ability to buy ringtones, the ability to ignore the 7.4.2 update and ignore the 1.1.1 firmware, until Ambrosia pulls through for us!

stonedgrace
Sep 27, 2007, 10:19 PM
Find a copy of 7.4.1 and you'll have the best of both worlds. The ability to create custom ringtones, the ability to buy ringtones, the ability to ignore the 7.4.2 update and ignore the 1.1.1 firmware, until Ambrosia pulls through for us!

Im looking for 7.4.1 but I already have 1.1.1

iDriveX
Sep 27, 2007, 10:21 PM
Im looking for 7.4.1 but I already have 1.1.1

Then you're F'd and might as well upgrade to 7.4.2.3.5 or whatever we're up to at this point.

Chris Welch
Sep 27, 2007, 10:58 PM
Any updates, Andrew?

I'm most interested in whether the encryption stuff turns out to be true, or perhaps not.. which would give many much more hope regarding 3rd party apps.

stonedgrace
Sep 27, 2007, 11:32 PM
Andrew- I dont know if this helps you at all, but I have ringtones working with 7.4.0 and 1.1.1

I used MakeiPhoneRingtone to put custom ringtones on with 7.4.0

good luck.....

UPDATE-
Ok the only way this works is to do this. First with 7.4.0 use the original method of renaming the ringtone and adding it to itunes.
It will show up under ringtones you can sync it to your phone. It will not play.
Now rename the original file back to .m4a and use MakeiPhoneRingTone. It will add it to iTunes again (there will be 2 in the list)
When you sync your phone again, you will only see the ringtone on your phone once but it will now play.

theskunk
Sep 28, 2007, 09:41 AM
Any news from last nights pogress?

Also, is there anything that some of the rest of us who are technically inclined can do to help?

alljunks
Sep 28, 2007, 12:34 PM
nice software...but... $15.......

martinmartin
Sep 28, 2007, 01:31 PM
I hope they find a way to get this working again.

Custom ringtones really make this phone a lot more fun...

Holyghost
Sep 28, 2007, 03:08 PM
For what its worth, I have two custom ringtones that survived the firmware update, have not vanished from my ringtone menu on the iPhone and are selectable. I can send a copy of one that survived, one that died for someone to look at?

*shrug*

Chris Welch
Sep 28, 2007, 07:24 PM

How fast do you think you would spend $15 making ringtones the iTunes way?

sblasl
Sep 28, 2007, 07:26 PM
Wonder what's up with Andrew? He usually pops in and gives his input on the state of all things ringtones.

Mums the word which is obviously in this situation not an indicator of good things to come.:(

digduggler
Sep 28, 2007, 10:32 PM
Wonder what's up with Andrew? He usually pops in and gives his input on the state of all things ringtones.

Mums the word which is obviously in this situation not an indicator of good things to come.:(

+1

Outlook not so good...

lawcomic
Sep 28, 2007, 11:04 PM
Give 'em a few days. They're trying.

In about a week, though, we should be asking about refund policies.

MacUser4_20
Sep 28, 2007, 11:47 PM
why a refund policy? We assumed a certain risk when we purchased this software. Why put it on andrew that it is his fault apple is making updates to thwart companies like his? I applaud his dedication and efforts to fix it, but if he cannot it should not rest on him to give a refund. Just my opinion though. Give 'em a few days. They're trying.

In about a week, though, we should be asking about refund policies.

gr8tfly
Sep 29, 2007, 12:03 AM
why a refund policy? We assumed a certain risk when we purchased this software. Why put it on andrew that it is his fault apple is making updates to thwart companies like his? I applaud his dedication and efforts to fix it, but if he cannot it should not rest on him to give a refund. Just my opinion though.

I agree. We want to encourage his/Ambrosia's innovation. It's hard to believe those who purchased iToner didn't get $15 worth of utility and enjoyment out of it. Considering the amount of research he [and company] went through on our behalf, without documentation or SDK, it would be in poor taste to request any refund. Just another 2 cents worth...

ARH1956
Sep 29, 2007, 12:19 AM
I agree. We want to encourage his/Ambrosia's innovation. It's hard to believe those who purchased iToner didn't get $15 worth of utility and enjoyment out of it. Considering the amount of research he [and company] went through on our behalf, without documentation or SDK, it would be in poor taste to request any refund. Just another 2 cents worth...I appreciate what Ambrosia has done with iToner and want as much as anyone to encourage innovation. However, in their description of iToner, in BOLD PRINT, it clearly states; Even better, your ringtones will continue to work with future iPhone OS upgrades! I realize they were unaware of the lengths Apple would go to in order to undermine any "Outside" applications, and sympathize with their plight. And while I will not actively participate in any future action to seek reimbursement, I feel those who might eventually choose to pursue this path are not being completely unreasonable. What would, in my opinion, be unreasonable would be to pursue any such procedure without giving Ambrosia ample opportunity to remedy the situation.

chr1s60
Sep 29, 2007, 12:30 AM

Says someone with a $2,000 computer and a $400 phone...

lawcomic
Sep 29, 2007, 02:49 AM
why a refund policy? We assumed a certain risk when we purchased this software. Why put it on andrew that it is his fault apple is making updates to thwart companies like his? I applaud his dedication and efforts to fix it, but if he cannot it should not rest on him to give a refund. Just my opinion though.

Because of the claim on the website that states, in bold mind you, "Even better, your ringtones will continue to work with future iPhone OS updates!"

That was a huge selling point for the product.

That said, I think we should give them a reasonable amount of time to deal with this before getting upset.

But, if they can't fix it, refunds are appropriate because of that claim in the advertising.

lawcomic
Sep 29, 2007, 02:52 AM
I agree. We want to encourage his/Ambrosia's innovation. It's hard to believe those who purchased iToner didn't get $15 worth of utility and enjoyment out of it. Considering the amount of research he [and company] went through on our behalf, without documentation or SDK, it would be in poor taste to request any refund. Just another 2 cents worth...

Well, in fairness, I think they went through the work mainly to make a sellable product...and rightly so. They deserve to profit off this, but if the product doesn't function as advertised......

Again, though, this is premature. I am impressed with the Ambrosia folks so far, and hope they can make it work.

moki
Sep 29, 2007, 03:01 AM
Below is our official statement. If anyone is upset, and wants a refund or store credit NOW, please contact me and I will make it happen. We absolutely want to do the right thing by our customers.

That said, we're hoping for a bit more time, because the ideal situation for everyone is that we find a way to fix the software and have it work again.

Believe it or not, our statement is still true. Those ringtones *are* still on your iPhone, they did survive the OS update. The problem is that Apple has done something to stop them from playing.

iToner & the iPhone 1.1.1 OS Update

Apple has recently released iPhone 1.1.1 OS update for the iPhone. Unfortunately this OS update breaks our custom ringtone product iToner.

We're distressed about this turn of events, because we have labored long and hard to make iToner not just a great product, but also as compatible as possible.

I'd like to take a moment to explain the situation as we understand it currently.

This iPhone 1.1.1 OS update breaks not only iToner, but also every other piece of third party software for the iPhone. It appears that Apple has taken the route of encrypting and signing the contents of your iPhone in such a way that things like third party applications and ringtones are rejected outright.

We have not given up, however. No promises at this point, but we are working hard at solving this issue for our users. Thank you for your continued support & patience.

Andrew Welch
el Presidente
Ambrosia Software, Inc.

lawcomic
Sep 29, 2007, 03:05 AM
You know, most companies wouldn't bother to keep their customers updated on outside boards.

You guys are a class act, and I'll give it time!

moki
Sep 29, 2007, 03:07 AM
I appreciate what Ambrosia has done with iToner and want as much as anyone to encourage innovation. However, in their description of iToner, in BOLD PRINT, it clearly states; Even better, your ringtones will continue to work with future iPhone OS upgrades! I realize they were unaware of the lengths Apple would go to in order to undermine any "Outside" applications, and sympathize with their plight. And while I will not actively participate in any future action to seek reimbursement, I feel those who might eventually choose to pursue this path are not being completely unreasonable. What would, in my opinion, be unreasonable would be to pursue any such procedure without giving Ambrosia ample opportunity to remedy the situation.

I agree. And there is no way that I would ever consider damaging our good name for $15. That's not what we're about.

stonedgrace
Sep 29, 2007, 07:09 AM
Below is our official statement. If anyone is upset, and wants a refund or store credit NOW, please contact me and I will make it happen. We absolutely want to do the right thing by our customers.

That said, we're hoping for a bit more time, because the ideal situation for everyone is that we find a way to fix the software and have it work again.

Believe it or not, our statement is still true. Those ringtones *are* still on your iPhone, they did survive the OS update. The problem is that Apple has done something to stop them from playing.

The ringtones still are on the phone but from what I can tell the phone needs to see the m4r file to put the ringtone in the list and it needs to see a modified m4a file to actually play the ringtone. I need to have the ringtone in both file formats in my library to have them work on my phone

digduggler
Sep 29, 2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the update Andrew. We all appreciate the update and hard work and I certainly realize this will take time if it is possible to fix. Most of all I appreciate the communication instead of silence. And the offer of refunds is a classy and responsible move.

I would disagree that the statement is still true. True enough, the rings are still there. But I'd disagree with the 'working' part.

This is a tough challenge. Good luck!

PupnTaco
Sep 29, 2007, 12:37 PM
Well, technically it was a firmware update, not an OS update, right? Not to split hairs but I don't imagine Ambrosia anticipated this.

Thanks for trying even if it doesn't work out, Andrew. Our family have been paying Ambrosia fans since Maelstrom!

digduggler
Sep 29, 2007, 01:23 PM
Well, technically it was a firmware update, not an OS update, right? Not to split hairs but I don't imagine Ambrosia anticipated this.

Thanks for trying even if it doesn't work out, Andrew. Our family have been paying Ambrosia fans since Maelstrom!

Technically, I think it was both.

ctakim
Sep 29, 2007, 01:35 PM

Wow, I know Ambrosia sounded familiar, they are the Maelstrom folks from wayback when! Blast from the past!

jt2ga65
Sep 29, 2007, 01:45 PM
Because of the claim on the website that states, in bold mind you, "Even better, your ringtones will continue to work with future iPhone OS updates!"
And, it did work on future updates. It is impossible for them to claim that it would work on ALL future updates or hardware or software changes that Apple made, and in fact, this is what happened. I believe the iToner was out for the 1.0 firmware, so it worked on two additional future updates.

That said, I'm glad that they are working on an updated version, as well as offering a $15 credit back to those that feel they did not get value from their product.

I used iFuntastic to put my ringtone on the phone, as I has already created it when I put it on my Moto RAZR. If I hadn't had that option, I would have been looking at iToner for certain.

-jt2

justcallmepete
Sep 29, 2007, 01:54 PM
So i can see why certain people would want their money back. i bought itoner too. but im definitely not going to ask for a refund from them. think of the 15 dollars that we paid as paying them for working so hard. how many other purchases do you make that have customer service like them? they work hard and deserve that money. They have said that they will refund whoever wants it. So why is everyone picking apart their words saying "well see, they said this....so that means they were wrong and need to pay us back." he's already said you can get your money back. i just dont see a need for all that. its redundant.

jvanlee1
Sep 29, 2007, 02:10 PM
I don't know how many Ambrosia products you have, but they work, Ambrosia keeps them up to date and seldom charge for this.

Give them time, you'll get your money's worth.

moki
Sep 29, 2007, 04:53 PM
I can tell you that we have been working our collective arses off to see if we can come up with a fix. I personally want iToner working again, because there are ringtones I want to use on my iPhone, so it's personal now. :)

Still, I can't promise we can fix this. Apple seems to have really taken an unfortunate path, one that I fear will come back to bite them in the end.

Regardless, we will take care of our customers to ensure that they are happy, that I promise you.

Have a look at some videos (http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/work/wts_tutorials/) while you wait. :)

iDriveX
Sep 29, 2007, 05:11 PM
In the meantime, tell Apple to Kiss it by exploiting their latest bug.

Bluetooth Headset iPhone Streaming

1. Pair your bluetooth headset with your iPhone
2. Go to your visual voicemail and select "Audio" in the upper right hand corner.
3. Select your Bluetooth Headset
4. Navigate to your iPod functionality and enjoy.

Sure it's not AD2P, but it works in a snap for someone who has no way to hook up their iPhone to their car stereo and wants to listen to tunes in the car without putting on a pair of headsets!

DeathChill
Sep 29, 2007, 05:12 PM
Well the iPhone Dev Team is working on jailbreaking the phone again so I believe that it won't be TOO long.

GravityEyes
Sep 29, 2007, 06:10 PM
Well the iPhone Dev Team is working on jailbreaking the phone again so I believe that it won't be TOO long.

I wouldn't hold your breath .... 128 bit AES Encryption.

bender0069
Sep 29, 2007, 09:23 PM

Andrew Welch
el Presidente
Ambrosia Software, Inc.

I used iToner to put ringtones on my phone and have updgraded to 1.1.1 and have to disagree with this statement slightly. I can no longer see my ringtones in my Sound settings, but they are still assigned to the people I put them on and still play when they call.

PBG4 Dude
Sep 29, 2007, 09:58 PM
I can tell you that we have been working our collective arses off to see if we can come up with a fix. I personally want iToner working again, because there are ringtones I want to use on my iPhone, so it's personal now. :)

Still, I can't promise we can fix this. Apple seems to have really taken an unfortunate path, one that I fear will come back to bite them in the end.

Regardless, we will take care of our customers to ensure that they are happy, that I promise you.

Have a look at some videos (http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/work/wts_tutorials/) while you wait. :)

What about the reports of people getting ringtones on v1.1.1 phones using makeiphoneringtone and iTunes 7.4.0? Maybe analyze what's going on there with some kind of USB packet sniffer?

vitasenza
Sep 30, 2007, 07:09 AM
I used iToner to put ringtones on my phone and have updgraded to 1.1.1 and have to disagree with this statement slightly. I can no longer see my ringtones in my Sound settings, but they are still assigned to the people I put them on and still play when they call.

I think that if you try to change them then it'll go back to the default ring, so don't even touch the ringtone spot on those contacts that have iToner added ringtones assigned to them :cool: (lucky you :D)

Plutonius
Sep 30, 2007, 09:16 AM
So i can see why certain people would want their money back. i bought itoner too. but im definitely not going to ask for a refund from them. think of the 15 dollars that we paid as paying them for working so hard. how many other purchases do you make that have customer service like them? they work hard and deserve that money. They have said that they will refund whoever wants it. So why is everyone picking apart their words saying "well see, they said this....so that means they were wrong and need to pay us back." he's already said you can get your money back. i just dont see a need for all that. its redundant.

Hmm, You must also think then that Apple and the artist who made the music deserve the money for all their hard work to make the iPhone, iTunes, and the music that you are turning into ringtones. I myself could care either way on the ringtones arguement but at least be consistent.

freelancing
Sep 30, 2007, 10:14 AM
Hmm, You must also think then that Apple and the artist who made the music deserve the money for all their hard work to make the iPhone, iTunes, and the music that you are turning into ringtones. I myself could care either way on the ringtones arguement but at least be consistent.

Some people (like me) are not using music for ringtones - I'm making my own sound effects or getting royalty-free sound effects for the phone. We can make our own movies in iMovie and put them on the phone. We can make our own music in GarageBand and put that in iTunes, then on the phone - why can't we make our own ringtones without having to pay the music industry. Frankly, I cannot think of one commercially available song that I want to play as a ringtone. I like music as music - but I use various ringtone sounds (like the ones that came on the iPhone) in lieu of commercial music.

justcallmepete
Sep 30, 2007, 11:55 AM

no actually i dont. and in what way was i not consistant? ambrosia gives amazing customer service....and has already offered the refund to people. something that Apple has not done. Apple MAY have given back a whooping 100 bucks (out of the 200 that they took from me). but i will not be happy with apple until they offer back the entire 200 in CASH (or credit...however someone paid). but i digress....this thread is not about that....

i do not use itoner to make songs into ringtones. there is maybe one or two songs that i currently use as a ringtone (which are not available on itunes anyway). the rest are all royalty free sounds i use as tones. but the point you are bringing up is not even the point of that previous post. it was to say "stop trashing ambrosia's name. they are a good company that works hard for their customers." so dont give me that BS about being "consistant". cause working hard for customer service and satisfaction is NOT the same thing as apple working on itunes to clearly JUST make money and the recording industry to sell CDs.

MR0013
Sep 30, 2007, 03:46 PM
if you use a Ringtone any one with .m4a and tranfer i whit iToner you are not going to see it in the phone but if you use one with .m4r and tranfer it whit iToner you will be able to see it on the phone but it will not play.

Holyghost
Sep 30, 2007, 05:49 PM

Just a point of clarification - the artist makes no money from the sale of a ringtone. It is a derivative work and the RIAA, after Apple's cut, takes all the profit from a ringtone sale.

illegalprelude
Sep 30, 2007, 07:53 PM

Moki, ive been using your product and I can say its superb.

This might also help you guys (not sure if its been reported or not) but like you stated, the songs are still on the iPhone because when I go under ringtones, I do not see them there anymore but!

I have a few different ringtones for different people and when they call, it still plays their song....Im not sure if this helps you guys in any form or if I can somehow send you more information but keep this little info in mind

milo
Oct 1, 2007, 12:00 PM
Just a point of clarification - the artist makes no money from the sale of a ringtone. It is a derivative work and the RIAA, after Apple's cut, takes all the profit from a ringtone sale.

Are you sure about that? The articles turned up in a quick google search all seem to say otherwise. Source?

moki
Oct 1, 2007, 09:24 PM
I'd like to elaborate a bit on the iToner situation. We're obviously not happy that iToner was broken with the iPhone OS 1.1.1 update. Here's the situation.

The iPhone is a bit like your Mac, in that there are system areas of the iPhone, and there are user areas of the iPhone. One might think of the user area of the iPhone as similar to your Home on your Mac; all of your photos, music, etc. are stored in this user area of the phone.

iToner was written with compatibility in mind, and places ringtones in the user area of the phone; it does not put *any* code on the phone at all. This is why when Apple updated from iPhone OS 1.0.0 -> 1.0.1 your iToner ringtones continued to work. This is again why when Apple updated from iPhone OS 1.0.1 -> 1.0.2 your iToner ringtones continued to work.

Other methods of putting ringtones on your iPhone put them in the system area of the the phone, and thus were wiped out when Apple released an iPhone OS update. So with this knowledge in mind, it is why we made the statement that iToner would continue to work with iPhone OS updates.

Then along came iTunes 7.4.x, which activated the ringtone feature of the iTunes Music Store. Apple was a bit overzealous in their iTunes code, and just flat-lined any ringtones that were on your iPhone that were not placed there by iTunes. We quickly remedied the situation with iToner 1.0.1, and all was well.

That is, until the iPhone OS 1.1.1 came out. Now it looks like they are actively not just shutting down hacks, applications, etc. on the iPhone, but they are also going out of their way to ensure that no ringtones other than the ones purchased from the iTunes Music Store work on the iPhone.

I'm not going to comment of my personal position on Apple's stance here except to say that I think it's slightly misguided to disallow people to use whatever they want for a ringtone.

That said, it's our job to make iToner continue to function as a product... and we think we're going to be able to do just that. Very shortly we will be beta testing iToner 1.0.3 which we believe will bring iPhone OS 1.1.1 compatibility to iToner.

It's been a rough ride... but we're trying to do right by our customers and get this product working again, despite the curves thrown at us by Apple. Thank you for your patience, and your loyalty!

MacUser4_20
Oct 1, 2007, 09:47 PM
Thank you Andrew. You truly are a class-act! With that said if you need a beta tester, let me know!

I'd like to elaborate a bit on the iToner situation. We're obviously not happy that iToner was broken with the iPhone OS 1.1.1 update. Here's the situation.

The iPhone is a bit like your Mac, in that there are system areas of the iPhone, and there are user areas of the iPhone. One might think of the user area of the iPhone as similar to your Home on your Mac; all of your photos, music, etc. are stored in this user area of the phone.

iToner was written with compatibility in mind, and places ringtones in the user area of the phone; it does not put *any* code on the phone at all. This is why when Apple updated from iPhone OS 1.0.0 -> 1.0.1 your iToner ringtones continued to work. This is again why when Apple updated from iPhone OS 1.0.1 -> 1.0.2 your iToner ringtones continued to work.

Other methods of putting ringtones on your iPhone put them in the system area of the the phone, and thus were wiped out when Apple released an iPhone OS update. So with this knowledge in mind, it is why we made the statement that iToner would continue to work with iPhone OS updates.

Then along came iTunes 7.4.x, which activated the ringtone feature of the iTunes Music Store. Apple was a bit overzealous in their iTunes code, and just flat-lined any ringtones that were on your iPhone that were not placed there by iTunes. We quickly remedied the situation with iToner 1.0.1, and all was well.

That is, until the iPhone OS 1.1.1 came out. Now it looks like they are actively not just shutting down hacks, applications, etc. on the iPhone, but they are also going out of their way to ensure that no ringtones other than the ones purchased from the iTunes Music Store work on the iPhone.

I'm not going to comment of my personal position on Apple's stance here except to say that I think it's slightly misguided to disallow people to use whatever they want for a ringtone.

That said, it's our job to make iToner continue to function as a product... and we think we're going to be able to do just that. Very shortly we will be beta testing iToner 1.0.3 which we believe will bring iPhone OS 1.1.1 compatibility to iToner.

It's been a rough ride... but we're trying to do right by our customers and get this product working again, despite the curves thrown at us by Apple. Thank you for your patience, and your loyalty!

MR0013
Oct 1, 2007, 10:20 PM

Thank you Andrew. I personally buy iToner and it is a great App, and I love it. (Take all the time that you need to fixed

JNB
Oct 1, 2007, 10:25 PM
Great news, Andrew, I knew you guys would come through sooner or later. Just to pass the time, I went ahead and registered WireTap Pro in preparation!

I have to say that I always thought Ambrosia was one of the true (and unfortunately, too few) class acts in the Mac software community. You hooked me with EV back in '96, and I always try to keep an eye on your elegantly-designed, resource-light, and value-priced offerings.

Assuming SJ makes good on the future 3rd-party apps opening, I can't wait to see what you guys come up with!

justcallmepete
Oct 1, 2007, 11:13 PM
thank you Andrew. see guys...this is how a company should act. regardless if it ends up working again or not, thank you for really trying.

ernest720
Oct 2, 2007, 12:23 AM
Really great news, useful

ARH1956
Oct 2, 2007, 09:52 PM
My job takes me into industrial environments where the ambient noise levels make any of the default ringtones worthless. I have no desire to have "Song" ringtones, or to assign specific tones to different people. I need a LOUD ringtone, period. Ironically, a couple of the new tones 1.1.1 installed as Text Message tones, "Glass & Chime", are easier for me to hear than any of the ringtones offered. I bought iToner to install some loud tones found on the 'net & it has saved the day. I'm excited for iToner 1.03 to arrive & save the day once more, LOL.

Holyghost
Oct 3, 2007, 02:16 PM
Are you sure about that? The articles turned up in a quick google search all seem to say otherwise. Source?

Engadget ran a piece, which can be found at:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/07/know-your-rights-is-it-illegal-to-make-my-own-ringtones/
The relevant bit being:

Well, the RIAA wanted to be able to distribute ringtones of its artists without having to pay them big money to do so (surprised?), and it won a decision last year before the Copyright Office saying that ringtones weren't "derivative works," meaning they didn't infringe on the copyright of the songwriter.

Also, many tech podcasts (i.e. TWiT) frequently state that 100% of ringtone profits go to the RIAA.

justcallmepete
Oct 5, 2007, 12:28 PM
there still is no news?

sblasl
Oct 5, 2007, 04:02 PM
Can we get your take on this Andrew. Any chance Ambrosia is one of the "partners"?

Apple Set to Open Up the iPhone (Within Limits)

Apple has been furiously working with their partners on games and applications for the iPhone/iPod and the standardized Human-Interface Controls that will go along with them.

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2007/10/05/reports-apple-set-to-open-up-the-iphone-with-limits/?source=yahoo_quote

sblasl
Oct 6, 2007, 03:56 PM
Silence speaks volumes...;)

"Other big developers with strict confidentiality agreements are also on board."

Chris Welch
Oct 6, 2007, 07:16 PM
Silence speaks volumes...;)

"Other big developers with strict confidentiality agreements are also on board."

How and why would they be one of the partners? Think about it.

Apple sells ringtones as part of the iPhone business model. iToner installs them for free.

It doesn't make any sense.

sblasl
Oct 6, 2007, 07:49 PM
I agree totally. Wishful thinking on my part.

But you do have to admit, Andrew usually chimes in and has been conspicuously absent. Why?

How and why would they be one of the partners? Think about it.

Apple sells ringtones as part of the iPhone business model. iToner installs them for free.

It doesn't make any sense.

Wyvernspirit
Oct 6, 2007, 09:53 PM
I agree totally. Wishful thinking on my part.

But you do have to admit, Andrew usually chimes in and has been conspicuously absent. Why?

I'm hoping it means he is hard at work getting itoner to work. Might be wishful thinking, but am trying to see the silver lining. :)

MacToddB
Oct 7, 2007, 12:14 AM
I'm hoping it means he is hard at work getting itoner to work. Might be wishful thinking, but am trying to see the silver lining. :)

Well, living a couple of blocks from Ambrosia's office, I dropped off some Mountain Dew and a gift card for a nice pizza place (Great Northern Pizza Kitchens), so I hope they're burning the midnight oil!

sblasl
Oct 7, 2007, 12:26 AM
Any chance you asked if they were making any progress with iToner? Did you see Andrew? That would give us an idea that he is around and has access to the Internet to respond to our inquiries.;)

Well, living a couple of blocks from Ambrosia's office, I dropped off some Mountain Dew and a gift card for a nice pizza place (Great Northern Pizza Kitchens), so I hope they're burning the midnight oil!

MacToddB
Oct 7, 2007, 12:58 AM
Any chance you asked if they were making any progress with iToner? Did you see Andrew? That would give us an idea that he is around and has access to the Internet to respond to our inquiries.;)

Nah, I was in and out. I was on my lunch hour so I just dropped it off with a lady in the entrance... didn't want to seem like a stalker! But we commiserated a bit about Apple!

Cinemagic
Oct 7, 2007, 09:23 AM
I paid for iToner (that I had for a week), I was glad o pay for it and support the team. I'm not at all upset that it no longer works because I know it's not Ambrosia's fault at all. I have pu ringtones on with the makeiphoneringtones workaround and find that it is much more functional for my uses than iToner ever was. I sync with a PC and my MacPro I would always lose my ringtones when I would sync with the PC (using iToner). With the makeiphoneringtones workaround, I do not lose ringtones when syncing with my PC.

I would ask Ambrosia to take this into consideration if they are planning on their continued work with iToner. Please make it so than an iPhone can sync with a PC and no lose the ringtones.

Thank you.

Wyvernspirit
Oct 7, 2007, 11:29 AM
I paid for iToner (that I had for a week), I was glad o pay for it and support the team. I'm not at all upset that it no longer works because I know it's not Ambrosia's fault at all. I have pu ringtones on with the makeiphoneringtones workaround and find that it is much more functional for my uses than iToner ever was. I sync with a PC and my MacPro I would always lose my ringtones when I would sync with the PC (using iToner). With the makeiphoneringtones workaround, I do not lose ringtones when syncing with my PC.

I would ask Ambrosia to take this into consideration if they are planning on their continued work with iToner. Please make it so than an iPhone can sync with a PC and no lose the ringtones.

Thank you.

I think you can already, if you turn off ringtone sync on the pc.

Cinemagic
Oct 8, 2007, 11:52 AM
With iToner, turning off sync in iTunes 7.4.2 (PC) did not prevent ringtoines from being erases. With version 7.4.0 and using the iphoneringtonemaker workaround, with ringtone sync unchecked, it does allow me to keep ringtones. When I asked Ambrosia, they asked if I had a certain file on my Mac. I did and as a result, any syncing to my Mac did not cause ringtone loss. But a sync with the PC - even with sync ringtones unchecked - caused me to lose iToner placed ringtones.

sblasl
Oct 8, 2007, 02:37 PM
Well, I wonder if we are going to be lucky enough to have Andrew weigh in now.

"Meanwhile, iToner 1.0.3 will be undergoing beta testing shortly, which should re-introduce Ringtone support into iPhone 1.1.1."

martinmartin
Oct 8, 2007, 02:49 PM
Well, I wonder if we are going to be lucky enough to have Andrew weigh in now.

"Meanwhile, iToner 1.0.3 will be undergoing beta testing shortly, which should re-introduce Ringtone support into iPhone 1.1.1."

I hope so!

moki
Oct 9, 2007, 03:01 PM
Just to update everyone... we just sent out a beta to our beta testers today that adds support for iPhone OS 1.1.1. Obviously we still need to test it properly, but I wanted to advise you of this excellent news! :)

justcallmepete
Oct 9, 2007, 03:21 PM
thanks andrew!!! ive been checking every day for this magical message!!! its almost here guys! long live ambrosia! :-D

shadowfax
Oct 9, 2007, 03:50 PM
crap, I wanna be a beta tester... how do you do that?

cjosee
Oct 9, 2007, 04:06 PM
Just to update everyone... we just sent out a beta to our beta testers today that adds support for iPhone OS 1.1.1. Obviously we still need to test it properly, but I wanted to advise you of this excellent news! :)

Great news, Andrew, also THANKS... ;)

MacUser4_20
Oct 9, 2007, 04:32 PM
2 snaps and around the world! Great news Andrew!!

Xtgirl
Oct 9, 2007, 06:37 PM
That's wonderful Andrew. Congratulations and thanks for all the hard work!! I bet this one was much more tough to crack and we appreciate the effort!

sblasl
Oct 9, 2007, 07:38 PM
The silence is broken... with fantastic news!:)

moki
Oct 9, 2007, 09:12 PM
The silence is broken... with fantastic news!:)

Yep, and it's working... we just have some bugs/kinks to work out before we want to release it to the world. :)

philhyde
Oct 9, 2007, 10:49 PM
Excellent news! :)

machd
Oct 10, 2007, 08:19 AM
Yep, and it's working... we just have some bugs/kinks to work out before we want to release it to the world. :)

Andrew, what are the chances it will let us add text tones?

moki
Oct 10, 2007, 01:40 PM
Andrew, what are the chances it will let us add text tones?

Our goal with 1.0.3 is just to get it working on iPhone OS 1.1.1 and maintain previous iPhone OS compatibility. We won't be looking at new features for this release.

We definitely have noted that feature for future releases, however.

amcclay
Oct 10, 2007, 04:25 PM
Just another person wanting to let you know:

The minute this comes out you have my $15.

I don't even care if Apple released 'user created ringtones' tomorrow on their own - It's the principle at this point.

moki
Oct 10, 2007, 04:38 PM
Here's a quick demo movie I put together of iToner putting a custom ringtone on an iPhone running OS 1.1.1:

iToner Great Success! (http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/work/itoner_great_success.mov)

...with apologies to Borat. :)

jamespa66
Oct 10, 2007, 04:43 PM
Very nice Andrew! can't wait to have my ringtones back again:D

SirusB1
Oct 10, 2007, 05:03 PM
Great job Andrew! :D

sblasl
Oct 10, 2007, 05:46 PM
Thank you Andrew & all your folks at Ambrosia. We know that you guys have been focused like a laser beam to get iToner working again. It is greatly appreciated.:)

Maybe it is ready for prime time this evening?;)

nevesis
Oct 10, 2007, 06:07 PM
Ok, it works! RELEASE IT! :D:D:D

Holyghost
Oct 10, 2007, 08:29 PM
Here's a quick demo movie I put together of iToner putting a custom ringtone on an iPhone running OS 1.1.1:

iToner Great Success! (http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew/work/itoner_great_success.mov)

Perhaps you should hide the phone #?

michaelsviews
Oct 11, 2007, 10:12 AM

Andrew,

I have not used your application before and want to ask is this going to work for moving all files or just files to the ringtones folder?. Say if I want to upload allot of music will it work, or am I missing the point here?

Wyvernspirit
Oct 11, 2007, 11:02 AM
Andrew,

I have not used your application before and want to ask is this going to work for moving all files or just files to the ringtones folder?. Say if I want to upload allot of music will it work, or am I missing the point here?

iToner is for ringtones only. Sorry.

~J~
Oct 11, 2007, 11:07 AM
Thats great news! Cant wait for it to be updated so I can have my ringtones back!

You guys @ Ambrosia ROCK! Keep up the good work!

CWallace
Oct 11, 2007, 11:38 AM
Andrew,

I have not used your application before and want to ask is this going to work for moving all files or just files to the ringtones folder? Say if I want to upload allot of music will it work, or am I missing the point here?

It will only work for Ringtones. To send other data (music, movies, photos), you need to use iTunes.

Alas the iPhone does not (publicaly) support "disk mode", so even apps like Anapod on Windows will not allow you to send/retrieve files from the iPhone.

sblasl
Oct 11, 2007, 11:43 AM
Don't want to take this OT, but he might want to try iPhoneDrive.

http://ecamm.com/mac/iphonedrive/

Now back to our regulary scheduled wait for the release of itoner.;)

michaelsviews
Oct 11, 2007, 01:08 PM
Don't want to take this OT, but he might want to try iPhoneDrive.

http://ecamm.com/mac/iphonedrive/

Now back to our regulary scheduled wait for the release of itoner.;)

Thank you everyone for the reply's and I hope this is NOT too far off topic, but would it be better to go backwards and downgrade the firmware to previous 1.1.1 for lets say less limitations on what I can do? i.e. ringtones, pictures as backgrounds or stay where I am .

I apologize for the off topic, but I have gone through 4 iphones, I always seem to get the broken stuff and am on the 5th one now, the last 2 had NO reception at all. :apple:

Chris Welch
Oct 11, 2007, 03:05 PM
Excellent to hear about the success, Andrew. I'm sure there are many, including myself, who eagerly await the release of 1.0.3. :)

michaelsviews
Oct 11, 2007, 03:14 PM
Excellent to hear about the success, Andrew. I'm sure there are many, including myself, who eagerly await the release of 1.0.3. :)

When? I have credit card in my teeth and am ready to order. LETS just DO IT:D

amcclay
Oct 11, 2007, 03:29 PM
For the love of Jobs, please release this!

sblasl
Oct 11, 2007, 06:30 PM
Congrats to Andrew and his Team at Ambrosia for the release of WireTap Studio.

Now how about letting us be your phase II beta testers for the latest version of Itoner?;)

amcclay
Oct 11, 2007, 06:48 PM
Congrats to Andrew and his Team at Ambrosia for the release of WireTap Studio.

Now how about letting us be your phase II beta testers for the latest version of Itoner?;)

Yes yes - I'm buying that too! Gonna use my Audio Hijack comp. upgrade to buy it along with iToner at the same time to make cool ringtones, etc. It looks it has an amazing waveform editor - which I haven't been able to find - I hate Peak / Audicity / Fission / etc - This one looks just right.

sblasl
Oct 12, 2007, 02:59 PM
I wonder what's happened with the eminent release of the new version of iToner? Andrew hasn't weighed in lately and it was sounding like things were progressing very nicely.

I hope it gets released sometime today.:)

moki
Oct 12, 2007, 03:16 PM
I wonder what's happened with the eminent release of the new version of iToner? Andrew hasn't weighed in lately and it was sounding like things were progressing very nicely.

I hope it gets released sometime today.:)

Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb here and state that we hope to release iToner 1.0.3 next week. Please do not burn effigies of me if we don't release it next week.

Honestly, all we're doing now is making sure that we have all of the kinks worked out of it, so that when you download it, you'll have a satisfying user experience.

In the meantime, we released another product recently that you might find rather cool: WireTap Studio (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/) :)

shadowboxer
Oct 12, 2007, 03:52 PM
Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb here and state that we hope to release iToner 1.0.3. Please do not burn effigies of me if we don't release it next week.

Honestly, all we're doing now is making sure that we have all of the kinks worked out of it, so that when you download it, you'll have a satisfying user experience.

In the meantime, we released another product recently that you might find rather cool: WireTap Studio (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/) :)

Thanks for checking in moki.

I am indeed looking at that same program. Looks like it has a similar simple, elegant interface. My dad's reel to reel jazz collection is just begging to be digitized......

michaelsviews
Oct 12, 2007, 06:36 PM
Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb here and state that we hope to release iToner 1.0.3. Please do not burn effigies of me if we don't release it next week.

R U guys milking this too the end or WHAT, just release it and lets get the sales going here.

HELLOoooooooooooooo ?:p

moki
Oct 12, 2007, 06:41 PM
R U guys milking this too the end or WHAT, just release it and lets get the sales going here.

HELLOoooooooooooooo ?:p

heh... not milking anything. If I had my wish, iToner 1.0.3 would be in your hands already.

justcallmepete
Oct 12, 2007, 07:38 PM
pshh dont worry about it andrew. we appreciate your hard work and know youre workin your ass off to get it to us!

JWFerne
Oct 12, 2007, 08:55 PM
pshh dont worry about it andrew. we appreciate your hard work and know youre workin your ass off to get it to us!

I'm more thinking... pshh dont worry about it andrew. we appreciate your hard work and know your laughing your ass off and fu**in with us!

lol my twisted little mind :D

Seriously, thanks for the great work Andrew and staying steadfast on getting us a solution.

Cheers!

edit: p.s. is there an upgrade path from Wiretap to Wiretap studio?

sblasl
Oct 15, 2007, 04:01 PM
Well, it's "next week", are we any closer to seeing iToner?

I sure hope so.;)

Okay, I'm going to go out on a limb here and state that we hope to release iToner 1.0.3 next week. Please do not burn effigies of me if we don't release it next week.

moki
Oct 15, 2007, 04:16 PM
Well, it's "next week", are we any closer to seeing iToner?

I sure hope so.;)

It's looking encouraging. Three quotes from beta testers today:

This time (for the first time since the betas started) every tone played the first time! Nicely done!

-and-

Same here. Thanks!

-and-

Finally had a chance to use this beta for the first time. Smooooooove, no problems at all.

...so things are looking good!

ARH1956
Oct 15, 2007, 04:47 PM

This time (for the first time since the betas started) every tone played the first time! Nicely done!

-and-

Same here. Thanks!

-and-

Finally had a chance to use this beta for the first time. Smooooooove, no problems at all.

Well that's good news. I'll be glad when I'm once again able to use tones loud enough to be heard in my work environment.

~J~
Oct 15, 2007, 04:59 PM

-and-

Same here. Thanks!

-and-

So whattya say we release it?! Then, if any other issues are found... we just do a SW update? I promise... we wont mind! ;)

chr1s60
Oct 15, 2007, 05:08 PM
Give the guy a break already... I really want iToner back too, but let them get everything taken care of. He already went ahead and gave an estimated release even though he said he wouldn't. I am sure it will be here soon enough. I don't think asking over and over again for it to be released is gonna do any good.

moki
Oct 15, 2007, 05:09 PM
So whattya say we release it?! Then, if any other issues are found... we just do a SW update? I promise... we wont mind! ;)

You say that now, but our tech support team fears the wrath of users when we issue buggy releases, thus our caution. :)

~J~
Oct 15, 2007, 05:11 PM
I know guys... and I know Im not the only one that wants iToner to work again... the only thing missing for *my* iPhone is my custom ringtones, so thats why Im anxious. Im trying to be patient Andrew...

michaelsviews
Oct 15, 2007, 05:28 PM

-and-

Same here. Thanks!

-and-

So like what are we looking at ? 2 weeks out, if your the president of the company than your the one making the decisions.

Timetable

moki
Oct 15, 2007, 05:52 PM
All I am trying to do is keep you updated and abreast of our progress. I apologize if it was misconstrued otherwise. Again, our goal is a release this week.

michaelsviews
Oct 15, 2007, 07:03 PM
All I am trying to do is keep you updated and abreast of our progress. I apologize if it was misconstrued otherwise. Again, our goal is a release this week.

No need to apologize , I have credit card in hand and anxiously await your release. :):apple:

machd
Oct 17, 2007, 01:12 AM

don't apologize. you are doing a fine job.

i see your position and i agree with it. you would rather have people begging for a product you know they will love rather then release early and people crucify you for releasing crappy software.

hold of release until it's done right.

tbobmccoy
Oct 17, 2007, 08:55 AM

Just think, after you release it you'll be getting my 15 bucks. :D I can't wait to have ringtones back again.

moki
Oct 17, 2007, 03:13 PM
We haven't even announced it formally yet, but I wanted you folks to know first.

iToner 1.0.3 is released, with iPhone OS 1.1.1 compatibility. Grab it here:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/itoner/

:)

SirusB1
Oct 17, 2007, 03:17 PM
Thanks Andrew! :D

justcallmepete
Oct 17, 2007, 03:37 PM
thank you thank you. a million thank you's!!! you guys are the BEST!!!!

~J~
Oct 17, 2007, 03:41 PM
We haven't even announced it formally yet, but I wanted you folks to know first.

Thanks Andrew! You guys ROCK!!!

amcclay
Oct 17, 2007, 03:42 PM
Thank you SO much for all of your hard work. I have rarely felt better about paying for a product.

moki
Oct 17, 2007, 03:51 PM
Thanks to everyone in the MacRumors forums; you have been very gracious and patient with us. We do appreciate it.

pintofguinness
Oct 17, 2007, 04:14 PM

Thank you.
Purchased and downloaded.
Worked perfect.
I once again have the Notre Dame Victory March as my ringtone

-pint

VoodooDaddy
Oct 17, 2007, 04:21 PM
Does this version have a demo time frame? I have never tried iToner in the past but I know the older one had a trial period.

edit - just downloaded and installed. I see it does in fact include a 30 day trial. FANTASTIC app, a definite purchase.

sblasl
Oct 17, 2007, 04:23 PM
Nice job to Andrew and the folks at Ambrosia! We appreciate your diligence and commitment.:cool:

MacUser4_20
Oct 17, 2007, 06:04 PM
Andrew, as stated in the other thread... You guys ROCK!!

moki
Oct 19, 2007, 06:19 PM
Folks,

We have identified and fixed a bug in iToner 1.0.3 that could cause some ringtones to not play in rare instances on your iPhone. Expect an update very soon.

The update will be free to all registered iToner users, as all of our updates have been.

moki
Oct 20, 2007, 03:16 AM
Ambrosia Software, Inc. releases iToner 1.0.4, with iPhone OS 1.1.1 compatibility

ROCHESTER, New York -- October 19, 2007 -- Ambrosia Software, Inc. today announced the release of iToner 1.0.4. This update of the highly popular iPhone custom ringtone transfer tool offers improved support for iPhone OS 1.1.1, along with other bug fixes and improvements.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/news/images/iToner_ad_sm.jpg (http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/itoner/)

The iToner 1.0.4 update is free to all registered users, and may be downloaded here:

http://www.AmbrosiaSW.com/utilities/itoner/

iToner 1.0.4 features the following improvements and changes:

-- More robust iPhone OS 1.1.1 support to fix non-playing ringtones

-- Fixed a bug with the playlists being updated when a ringtone was added from iTunes

-- Other bug fixes and enhancements