PDA

View Full Version : Creative ZEN 4GB

tutubibi
Sep 21, 2007, 09:34 PM
I know it's strange to post this kind of questions to MacRumors and on iPod forums but I hope I can get some constructive input.

Anyway, I am in the market for a small flash based audio/video media player. I considered new iPod Nano but since size/style is not my primary criteria I (almost) decided to go with new Creative ZEN 4GB (http://ca.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=16999&WT.cg_n=Campaigns&WT.mc_id=8227&nav=features). Feature-wise it beats Nano in every category I care about (DivX support, SD expandability, FM tuner, bigger screen, navigation).

So here are some questions for anyone who might have this ZEN device:

1) Can you copy media files (music, movies ...) directly to the device (like to external flash drive) instead of using special software (i.e. iTunes for iPod)? Reason for asking is that I don't want player to be tied to a single machine.
2) If answer to question #1 is NO, is there are some media manager software for Mac to handle ZEN?
3) What's the max supported resolution for the DivX video playback on this ZEN?

Thanks in advance for any help.

thegrifman
Sep 22, 2007, 11:37 AM
You may want to find a Zen forum to ask that one as I suspect the number of Zen owners in these forums is statistically insignificant so it's likely nobody here knows the answer.

elppa
Sep 22, 2007, 12:02 PM
The website you linked to informs you of the following:

Minimum System Requirements

Microsoft® Windows® XP (Service Pack 2), Microsoft® Windows VistaTM

USB 1.1 port (USB 2.0 recommended)

130MB free hard drive space (more for audio content storage)

and

Bundled Software

ZEN Media Explorer

You might be able to hack around it, but as far as Mac support from Creative goes, it looks a little thin on the ground.

snooze button
Oct 22, 2007, 04:58 PM
http://www.wentnet.com/projects/xnjb/

This app will let you move music and files to and from any number of third-party (non-Apple) PMPs on OS X.