PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to change my username?

techmonkey
Sep 22, 2007, 10:31 PM
Is it possible to change my username?

Grimace
Sep 22, 2007, 11:04 PM
nope. It's probably easier just to start over and put in a signature who you used to be.

balamw
Sep 22, 2007, 11:08 PM
Being that multiple registration is a bannable offence, this doesn't seem to be good advice.

PM a mod. Explain why your name needs to be changed.

B

Grimace
Sep 22, 2007, 11:21 PM
Being that multiple registration is a bannable offence, this doesn't seem to be good advice.

PM a mod. Explain why your name needs to be changed.

B

You are certainly allowed to close one account and open another. I didn't mean to imply that you should have two active ones.

Doctor Q
Sep 23, 2007, 02:38 AM
You are certainly allowed to close one account and open another. I didn't mean to imply that you should have two active ones.You are not allowed to close one account and open another.

Use the Contact Form if there's a problem with your user name.

Grimace
Sep 23, 2007, 08:16 AM
You are not allowed to close one account and open another.

Ah, my mistake. Sorry guys, it's seemed logical.

mkrishnan
Sep 23, 2007, 08:33 AM
It's okay. I'm sure, at the time, techmonkey seemed like a really good idea. ;)

Doctor Q
Sep 23, 2007, 01:20 PM
I see that we have a few high-tech monkeys in the forums, including users named bitmap monkey, Codemonkey, CompiledMonkey, cyborg_monkey, HexMonkey, monkeyjava, sourcemonkey, spacemonkey, and ubermonkey, not to mention chimpybits. Plus lots of combinations of "monkey" with "apple" or "mac".

babababoon and rubbergorilla sound less high-tech.

The member named obliviousmonkey probably hasn't noticed that he/she had a monkey user name.

My favorite : polygon_monkey.

CanadaRAM
Sep 23, 2007, 01:23 PM
I see that we have a few high-tech monkeys in the forums

Not to mention RavenVII's and Miloblithe's avatars

techmonkey
Sep 23, 2007, 04:23 PM
It's okay. I'm sure, at the time, techmonkey seemed like a really good idea. ;)

I dont mind the name, just wish I used the same username of different Mac forums. I guess I could always put my username on the others forums in my sig.

dextertangocci
Sep 23, 2007, 09:26 PM

Why?:confused:

Doctor Q
Sep 23, 2007, 11:23 PM
Why?:confused:Because of the problems multiple accounts can cause and have caused. People have tried to use multiple accounts to evade rules and moderation, to shill for themselves, to trick other users, to avoid responsibility for their posts, and so on. The rules offer free memberships, one per person. There shouldn't be a reason to need more than that. If there's a problem with a membership, users can contact us and we'll see how we can help.

LizKat
Sep 23, 2007, 11:33 PM
Maybe we can help techmonkey come up with a really good reason to change username... "sudden flash of insight has revealed to me that I am not actually a monkey, nor particularly technical..."

I mean if i had my druthers now, perhaps I'd be holy-slo-go instead of lizkat, having been deemed "holier than thou" by someone after some post i made that suggested people should do 30mph in a 30-zone and people should not hack their iPhones.

See I would not be trying to evade my responsibility or even the holier-than-thou-ness of that post, just thinking hey if I got it, flaunt it... ;)

brad.c
Sep 26, 2007, 02:44 PM
But what happens if Doctor Q loses his license to practice doctorin? Or if CanadaRAM moves to Australia? Or if Mad Jew cheers up? Or if I forget what the heck binky2033 is suppos-.

Uh-oh.

szark
Sep 26, 2007, 03:30 PM
But what happens if... Mad Jew cheers up?

He isn't Mad (angry), he's Mad (crazy). And that isn't going to change...ever. :p

CalBoy
Sep 26, 2007, 04:10 PM
He isn't Mad (angry), he's Mad (crazy). And that isn't going to change...ever. :p

Where's he been anyhow? One more day of this, and we'll have to let the Aussi police know something's very, very wrong:eek::p

mad jew
Sep 27, 2007, 06:44 PM
It's okay, I'm back now. Still mad!

CalBoy
Sep 27, 2007, 08:29 PM
Still mad!

Well that's a relief; we wouldn't know what to do if you weren't still mad!:p

Scarlet Fever
Oct 5, 2007, 05:00 AM
Well that's a relief; we wouldn't know what to do if you weren't still mad!:p

mentally stable jew doesn't quite have the same ring to it....

twoodcc
Oct 5, 2007, 08:03 AM
mentally stable jew doesn't quite have the same ring to it....

what about SaneJew?....nah, just stick with mad

mkrishnan
Oct 5, 2007, 10:06 AM
So why is the original poster still a tech monkey?

http://myskitch.com/mkrishnan/skitched-20070822-180417.jpg

Sun Baked
Oct 5, 2007, 10:14 AM
There are worse things than being a tech monkey...

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10836&d=1073621142

~Shard~
Oct 5, 2007, 10:17 AM
It's okay, I'm back now. Still mad!

I think Doctor Q might make an exception if you wanted to change your name to serene jew. :D

twoodcc
Oct 5, 2007, 10:23 AM
man, i'm glad i didn't put "monkey" in my name...

~Shard~
Oct 5, 2007, 10:43 AM
I see that we have a few high-tech monkeys in the forums, including users named bitmap monkey, Codemonkey, CompiledMonkey, cyborg_monkey, HexMonkey, monkeyjava, sourcemonkey, spacemonkey, and ubermonkey, not to mention chimpybits. Plus lots of combinations of "monkey" with "apple" or "mac".

babababoon and rubbergorilla sound less high-tech.

The member named obliviousmonkey probably hasn't noticed that he/she had a monkey user name.

My favorite : polygon_monkey.

You forgot ToneMonkey (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=129876). :cool:

atszyman
Oct 5, 2007, 10:49 AM
Maybe we can help techmonkey come up with a really good reason to change username... "sudden flash of insight has revealed to me that I am not actually a monkey, nor particularly technical..."

or maybe he evolved and is now techneanderthal....or techhuman...

~Shard~
Oct 5, 2007, 10:58 AM
or maybe he evolved and is now techneanderthal....or techhuman...

Or maybe he has super-evolved into techeloi or techmorlock... :D

Doctor Q
Oct 5, 2007, 11:42 AM
You forgot ToneMonkey (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=129876). :cool:My apologizes. I can't imagine how I missed ToneMonkey, just because he hadn't yet joined when I made my post. This darn crystal ball obviously needs another tune-up, or at least a RAM upgrade.

I also failed to mention member orangezilla, whose name must have made composed from orangutan and gorilla (perhaps with a little godzilla thrown in for good measure).

~Shard~
Oct 5, 2007, 11:58 AM
My apologizes. I can't imagine how I missed ToneMonkey, just because he hadn't yet joined when I made my post. This darn crystal ball obviously needs another tune-up, or at least a RAM upgrade.

No worries, it happens to the best of us every once and a while.

I highly recommend a RAM upgrade for your crystal ball though - I think you'll find that it will make Safari that much snappier. :cool:

Butthead
Oct 5, 2007, 02:58 PM

Why?

Besides, to the OP; AppleGoddess had her username changed to her real 1st nickname ******, so why can't the OPr have their name changed?

I tried my other forum username, already taken, frustrated, I tried Beavis...damn, already taken...hehe hehe ! Don't have enough time to **** around, so took 'Butthead' (don't know why no one had not taken that 'choice' username :p )

mkrishnan
Oct 5, 2007, 03:28 PM
Besides, to the OP; AppleGoddess had her username changed to her real 1st nickname ******, so why can't the OPr have their name changed?

Did you read that post? The OP is allowed to request a name change just like anyone else -- he/she may just use the contact form.

Doctor Q
Oct 5, 2007, 04:05 PM
Why?Multiple accounts

The reason for our "one membership per person" rule is that, in our experience, second accounts are almost always created by somebody trying to evade moderation, mislead other members, or avoid responsibility for their own posts, all of which are detriments to other members.

Name changes

Username changes can cause confusion, leaves quotes of posts mismatched with the original posts, make extra work for the "staff" who do our recordkeeping, and produce other problems, but we don't rule them out; we simply consider requests for them case by case.

Eraserhead
Oct 6, 2007, 05:54 PM
Name changes

Username changes can cause confusion, leaves quotes of posts mismatched with the original posts, make extra work for the "staff" who do our recordkeeping, and produce other problems, but we don't rule them out; we simply consider requests for them case by case.

Certainly a fair few of the longer posters have changed their names, so it does happen in reality.

~Shard~
Oct 6, 2007, 06:23 PM
Certainly a fair few of the longer posters have changed their names, so it does happen in reality.

Yep - DukeStreet to Mr. Anderson, and there are many examples, so yes, it has happened. As Doctor Q indicated though, each request is evaluated on a case by case basis and changes should be considered the exception, not the rule. :)

Butthead
Oct 8, 2007, 04:53 AM
Multiple accounts

The reason for our "one membership per person" rule is that, in our experience, second accounts are almost always created by somebody trying to evade moderation, mislead other members, or avoid responsibility for their own posts, all of which are detriments to other members.

Name changes

Ok, I wasn't thinking about having 2 active accts. What if you want to have your acct closed, say iGary...because you went to work for Apple, lol. But then a year later, you don't work for Apple, and you are tired of the username you have had in the past. Then should it not be alright to start a new acct. with a different username, after requesting your other acct be closed/and or deleted, assuming this is easily done?

And what about all those inactive accts, say with the username I wanted originally, because it's what I use on other forums. If those inactive accts are just sitting there for years, kind of like squatter .com domain names that may as you say, been some of those multiple acct people; shouldn't they be somehow unregistered to free up that username for someone else after say a few years of inactivity?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3214169&postcount=92

Yeah, so can I have the username max_altitude :p ?(j/k, though it's a good one)

rdowns
Oct 8, 2007, 05:14 AM
Is there some reason you can't accept the moderators explanations ands move on? Personally, I think your user name is just fine.

bartelby
Oct 8, 2007, 05:31 AM
I keep thinking about getting the typo in my username corrected. But I don't want to confuse people...:)

Eraserhead
Oct 8, 2007, 06:25 AM
I keep thinking about getting the typo in my username corrected. But I don't want to confuse people...:)

if its a typo i doubt anyone would get confused :)

bartelby
Oct 8, 2007, 06:33 AM
if its a typo i doubt anyone would get confused :)

I was being sarcastic:p

techmonkey
Oct 8, 2007, 07:56 AM
wow, when I posted this question I didnt think it would be this long of a thread. Some funny replies though...lol.

Scarlet Fever
Oct 8, 2007, 08:04 AM
wow, when I posted this question I didnt think it would be this long of a thread. Some funny replies though...lol.

those demis and gods can get quite bored sometimes :rolleyes:

Doctor Q
Oct 8, 2007, 11:13 AM
Ok, I wasn't thinking about having 2 active accts. What if you want to have your acct closed, say iGary...because you went to work for Apple, lol. But then a year later, you don't work for Apple, and you are tired of the username you have had in the past. Then should it not be alright to start a new acct. with a different username, after requesting your other acct be closed/and or deleted, assuming this is easily done?If "tired of" was a good enough reason to change user names, we'd have people picking new names every few months, the way they change avatars and signatures. We prefer that returning members continue using their original name.

And what about all those inactive accts, say with the username I wanted originally, because it's what I use on other forums. If those inactive accts are just sitting there for years, kind of like squatter .com domain names that may as you say, been some of those multiple acct people; shouldn't they be somehow unregistered to free up that username for someone else after say a few years of inactivity?That's been suggested a few times before. vBulletin (our forum software) doesn't have an automatic feature for this, but it's not clear we'd want it anyway. Sometimes inactive members do return after absences. In fact, a member I know reappeared after 2 years of silence just this week. People who like to use the same name wherever they are online may be disappointed if their favorite handle is already in use, but perhaps having to be inventive in finding a unique user name is a chance for creativity. I don't know of any cases where somebody registered a name simply to squat on it.

iMacZealot
Oct 9, 2007, 12:06 AM
I've thought about requesting a name change because Zealot can have negative connnotations at times (especially with iMac preceeding it.)

As for multiple registrations, don't do it for any reason at all.

mkrishnan
Oct 9, 2007, 07:44 AM
Are there times when zealot can have a positive connotation? :eek:

;)

You could go either way in my book. I don't automatically assume you're a hater. :D

~Shard~
Oct 9, 2007, 02:19 PM
A few times I have thought of changing my username to Bastard or some derrivative thereof, but I don't think such an explicit action is required, as my actions tend to speak louder than words. :cool:

bartelby
Oct 9, 2007, 02:20 PM
A few times I have thought of changing my username to Bastard or some derrivative thereof, but I don't think such an explicit action is required, as my actions tend to speak louder than words. :cool:

Really?:confused:

I hadn't noticed.

Doctor Q
Oct 9, 2007, 02:32 PM
A few times I have thought of changing my username...Using * as the wildcard for "any string" and ? as the wildcard for "any character," you could change it to *s?ard* and cover both versions of your name.

skunk
Oct 9, 2007, 02:34 PM
Using * as the wildcard for "any string" and ? as the wildcard for "any character," you could change it to *s?ard* and cover both versions of your name.I take it the "b" is silent, as in dumb?

~Shard~
Oct 9, 2007, 02:51 PM
Really?:confused:

I hadn't noticed.

It's alright, sometimes my wit is simply too clever for some people to comprehend.

Using * as the wildcard for "any string" and ? as the wildcard for "any character," you could change it to *s?ard* and cover both versions of your name.

I like it. Or, I could make a rule stating that "sh" = "bast"...

I take it the "b" is silent, as in dumb?

Whatever you're implying, intended or otherwise, is appreciated.

In all honestly I would be fine with that too - my name would still be "Bastard" (which is good) but with a slient "B" is would result in my username being pronounced "Ass Tard" which is even more bastardly! :D

BKKbill
Oct 10, 2007, 08:33 AM
The witticism on this thread is becoming pictorial and I don't know if that's good or bad.

~Shard~
Oct 10, 2007, 09:24 AM
The witticism on this thread is becoming pictorial and I don't know if that's good or bad.

It's good, trust me. :cool:

CalBoy
Oct 10, 2007, 10:36 AM
It's good, trust me. :cool:

Writes the jaded Demi;):p

~Shard~
Oct 10, 2007, 10:37 AM
Writes the jaded Demi;):p

I've been called much worse... ;)