PDA

View Full Version : Has the Touch made you want an Iphone?

BigBadJohn
Sep 23, 2007, 05:22 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm in the UK and had a week 37 touch for a few days before taking it back because of the screen problems - Unfortunately they didnt have any more stock to do an exchange, so i got a refund.

i've got to admit the Touch was wayyy better than I ever imagined and with the additional functions of the phone it would be even better. With the Iphone launch another 6 weeks weeks away I don't know whether to wait for it or get another touch. Anyone else having the same dilemma??

I'd originally decided to get the touch becuase i wanted a more durable phone with a better camera and GPS.

Sweetbike40
Sep 23, 2007, 05:45 AM
Yes... I know what you mean. Apple managed to make two products so similar yet different enough where you almost want both or i should say make you think you should have gotten the phone. Then i remember that i don't want to pay the extra money a month just to use it.

I LOVE the Touch and surprised with how easy it is to find a Wi-Fi signal. I'm sure it will be even easier in the city. It's beautiful, sleek and works smoothly. The photos and videos display beautifully. I see bad reviews out there but those are based on a bad shipment when they talk about the screen. I've also already been on Safari and listening to music for hours and it has not crashed.

The decision i have made is that i'm going to wait for the next update to the phone. A newer hopefully thinner version. I'm happy with the 1st generation of the iPod Touch but i think it's really best to wait for the next generation of the phone. And think of all the people who have the phone now and you can buy the next one without a second thought. (no torment of... oh well, i have this phone i paid $400 for, do i really need the new one?)

Stetwin
Sep 23, 2007, 05:55 AM
I havenít yet received my iPod Touch so donít know what there like, but unless the iPhone comes out on a different carrier then I wouldnít even consider it!

Sweetbike40
Sep 23, 2007, 06:07 AM
I haven’t yet received my iPod Touch so don’t know what there like, but unless the iPhone comes out on a different carrier then I wouldn’t even consider it!

I hope your iPod comes soon. :p

Yes, i didn't mention that in my post. I had gone to AT&T a couple of weeks ago to make sure i was doing the right thing. I just wanted to run in the store on the way home from work. I ended up being in there for a half hour and had only surfed a couple of web pages. It was so slow. I thought, why should i pay for this? It will drive me nuts. The Wi-Fi is pretty fast. So it is best to wait until they get this on a better network before we start paying for it.:rolleyes:

biturbomunkie
Sep 23, 2007, 06:12 AM
yes, in a way.

the touch is pretty crippled when compared to the iphone. but then the iphone is somewhat crippled as well when compared to phones in the same price range.

pantalaimon
Sep 23, 2007, 06:21 AM
no chance, £35 a month minimum? my current contract is only £15 a month. And 8GB is nowhere near enough memory for my music, 16GB isn't enough but i can live with it easier. Primarily I use it as a music player and anything extra is a bonus, and what nice extras they are, internet browser, movie player, photo viewer etc... i'm happy, no interest in an iphone at all.

macpluslaptop
Sep 23, 2007, 07:59 AM
Same dilemma here, and I've decided to forgo the Touch and see what the next 6 months brings for the iPhone. I have several friends who got the phone and are still swooning about it. I tried one recently and liked the call quality (AT&T); I'm interested in the PDA aspects too, which aren't available on the Touch. Also, someone pointed out that Verizon (my current carrier) disables many features on its phones, like Call Forwarding and Bluetooth, while AT&T doesn't. And I want something I can sync with my macs easily.So for $20 more a month I'll be able to replace my PDA & ipod & phone.

So I'm waiting until there's a 16g iPhone. And meanwhile, if a refurbed 160 ipod Classic becomes available, I'll get it and burn some of my music in Apple Lossless. I'm helping pay for Steve Jobs' iMansion...

(Note: the 160 would stay at home, attached to my stereo)

steve31
Sep 23, 2007, 10:07 AM
The touch is the closest thing I can buy to the iphone in Canada.:mad: But I am really thinking about buying an unlock iphone from pure mobile.;) I will wait to see my touch and if I like it I will buy an iphone and my wife will get my touch.

TonyHoyle
Sep 23, 2007, 10:12 AM
The touch rather put me off the whole idea.. I suspect I was expecting more, from what I'd heard about the interface, and the rave review my boss gave to the iphone when he saw one in the US.

I'll wait to see what updates bring. Most of the more annoying bugs could be fixed in software I expect.

Rhosfelt
Sep 23, 2007, 10:56 AM
if I could find a nice 4gb for pretty cheap that would awesome a
so I could kind of trash It and keep my iPod nice.

jmpage2
Sep 23, 2007, 11:07 AM
iPhone would need the bump to 16GB for me to even consider it. 8GB is just too restrictive for my primary DAP... and I don't relish the idea of carrying iPhone as well as a secondary DAP for more of my media (sorta defeates the purpose).

It would also be nice if the iPhone could get a little closer to the iTouch dimensions. The iPhone is noticeably thicker with a larger bezel than the iTouch.

I have a work provided mobile but had considered an iPhone.

If/when iPhone is 16 or 32GB with 3G radio instead of Edge I will have a hard time resisting it. Since that will probably be at least a year or so away I will stick with the iTouch for now.